PDA

View Full Version : Key for Miami

SF Dolphin Fan
07-07-2007, 02:56 PM
With so many changes in personnel and coaching, it looks like a rebuilding year for Miami. In many ways, I think the key to the season is how Vernon Carey does at left tackle. He was an emerging player for the Dolphins at right tackle, but I don't know how successfully he'll make the switch. If he can play LT at a high level, then I think the rest of the line will fall into place. The line is obviously a work in progress and will likely have at least one and potentially two rookies starting, but it would be huge if Carey can own that all important left tackle spot. Miami has been weak there since Richmond Webb left, which partly explains why the quarterback position has struggled as well. Cam Cameron has a challenge on his hand to dramatically improve the offense, while the defense still has something left. If the offensive line overachieves, I do think the Dolphins could make a playoff run.

As for the future, Carey's play could also determine what direction Miami takes in next year's draft. If he proves he can more than handle the spot, the Dolphins could look early for a stud defensive player in the secondary or someone to eventually replace Jason Taylor or Zach Thomas.