PDA

View Full Version : Best LSU WR?

KCStud
07-07-2007, 04:32 PM
Which LSU WR is the best in your opinion and will be the best in the pro's?

Dwayne Bowe, Craig Davis, Early Doucet?

I am a KC fan so you already know what I think lol

LarryJohnson27
07-07-2007, 05:02 PM
It's close IMO between Doucet and Bowe.

Acreboy
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Doucet will be the best of all 3

mqtirishfan
07-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I think Doucet will eventually be better than Bowe. I see him going around the same spot that Bowe and Davis went this year.

Bobertchin
07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Good question. I really like Doucet, but I actually think it will be Davis. He's very underrated.

Woody56
07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
I would take Bowe

BamaFalcon59
07-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Doucet looks to be the best all around prospect.

Acreboy
07-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Doucet is the most athletic which will inevitably make him the best, IMO.

PACKmanN
07-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Davis. He going to be an great player.

Staubach12
07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
It's a very good question. Bowe was the 2nd best WR of this past draft IMO, but Doucet is very good, too. It's close... too close to call for me.

JT Jag
07-07-2007, 11:36 PM
Too close to call.

I need imput from the upcoming NFL and NCAA seasons to make an early judgment on this.

TigerBait45
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
I say Doucet. I honestly think he was the best receiver last year.

For a second I thought this was all time. I would've had to give some love to Josh Reed, even though he hasn't been what I hoped he would in teh NFL.

Acreboy
07-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Too close to call.

I need imput from the upcoming NFL and NCAA seasons to make an early judgment on this.

Well, Doucet shows a lot more promise IMO

59 receptions, 772 yards and 8 TD's as the #3 WR

JT Jag
07-07-2007, 11:43 PM

59 receptions, 772 yards and 8 TD's as the #3 WRYeah... but he opted to take a whole season more to prove himself, just like Bowe did.

As Bowe improved several facets of his game in his senior year (his pass-catching reliability forefront), we should give Doucet the same time to define himself... or otherwise blend into the croud.

Acreboy
07-07-2007, 11:48 PM
Yeah... but he opted to take a whole season more to prove himself, just like Bowe did.

As Bowe improved several facets of his game in his senior year (his pass-catching reliability forefront), we should give Doucet the same time to define himself... or otherwise blend into the croud.If Doucet would have come out, after his workouts he would have been a 2nd round pick easily.

You're right though.

simms2clayton
07-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I think Bowe. I love his size, athleticism, and upside.

Geo
07-08-2007, 02:08 AM
If Doucet gets drafted in the 1st round in 08, as we expect he will, that's makes for an impressive three (!) 1st round receiving trios that we've seen in less than a decade.

Miami Hurricanes
Santana Moss (2001, 16th overall)
Reggie Wayne (2001, 30th overall)
Andre Johnson (2003, 3rd overall)

Ohio State Buckeyes
Santonio Holmes (2006, 25th overall)
Teddy Ginn (2007, 9th overall)
Athony Gonzalez (2007, 32nd overall)

LSU Tigers
Dwayne Bowe (2007, 23rd overall)
Craig Davis (2007, 30th overall)
Early Doucet (2008?)

SeanTaylorRIP
07-13-2007, 04:43 PM
If Doucet gets drafted in the 1st round in 08, as we expect he will, that's makes for an impressive three (!) 1st round receiving trios that we've seen in less than a decade.

Miami Hurricanes

Ohio State Buckeyes

LSU Tigers
Early Doucet (2008?)

Miami one trumps all.

HoopsDemon12
07-13-2007, 04:45 PM

59 receptions, 772 yards and 8 TD's as the #3 WR

ya but he also had two nfl first round recievers to take pressure off of him.... and a quarterback that went #1 overall.. that helps stat wise i think

my personal favorite is bowe jsut because of his physicalty

keylime_5
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I like Bowe. He's like Hines Ward except with more potential coming into the league. A 6-2/225 WR who is 4.4 fast and a very physical runner who blocks very well, that's what a WR's supposed to be. Davis will probably be solid in SD's great system, and Doucet will probably be the highest drafted of the 3, but I think Bowe will be the best pro.

Brent
07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I am going to give Davis the lead right now because he is going to a far better team than Bowe and I believe has a better chance to make an impact in the more immediate future.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-13-2007, 05:42 PM
I think Doucet is the most talented of the trio, and he certainly has the situation to shine this year outside of the Russell, Bowe, Davis shadow.

I think he's the most likely to become a very good #1, whereas I don't really see that in either Bowe (too inconsistent) or Davis (needs pressure taken off him to get open).

bantx
07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
I really like craig davis mainly because he is in San diego now, with San diego needing some fast WR he could become a #2 with a QB like rivers who spreads the ball he will have a great career in san diego

no love
07-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Miami one trumps all.

Only because only that list Miami is only school with all three wide receivers who have been in the league for more than 3 years.

And you didn't include Michael Clayton, who i still feel was the best prospect of all three of the LSU receivers. I think with Jeff Garcia at the helm, Clayton will really emerge as a playmaker again.

I guess it really depends on what you want in a receiver... because LSU has alot of prototypical West Coast receivers that are bigger possession receivers with good RAC. While the Miami and Ohio receivers are dynamic game breaking receivers that would be great in a down field Air Coryell type offense. LSU receivers obvious have the advantage with down field blocking though.

NYGIANTSFAN_UK
07-13-2007, 06:50 PM
Doucet won't have Russell throwing to him so Bowe takes the honours here.

fischbowl
07-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Terrence Toliver will be amazing.

Cashmoney
07-13-2007, 07:11 PM
both in this years will be busts, and who knows with doucet cause russell wont be throwing to him anymore and who knows who'll throw to him in the pros.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2007, 07:14 PM
I am a fan of Early Doucet!

T-RICH49
07-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Bowe.He will have a more instant and long term impact IMO he is exactly what Herm wants in a WR/ Big, solid hands, not afraid to go across the middle and block in the running game

kmartin575
07-13-2007, 10:14 PM
both in this years will be busts, and who knows with doucet cause russell wont be throwing to him anymore and who knows who'll throw to him in the pros.

And I would love to know why you think both of this years LSU WR's will be busts.

CC.SD
07-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Not this again.

kmartin575
07-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Not this again.

What's that?

constant cough
07-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Bowe is the strongest
Davis has the best hands
Doucet is the best pure athlete

Keep in mind Doucet has only been playing WR for 3 years now so he's still learning. In high school he played QB/RB/WR/DB.

Word out of spring ball in Baton Rouge is that Early is the best player on the team. Not just the offensive side of the ball but the whole team, and yes that includes Glenn Dorsey.

CC.SD
07-14-2007, 01:25 PM
What's that?

Yet another LSU WR thread when none of them have played a down in the NFL?

Truth be told, I'd be okay with any of them on the Bolts, but I can't help but admire just how well Davis fits in. We already have a couple guys that are huge possession receivers, but he comes in as a deep ball/YAC guy and adds another dimension.

princefielder28
07-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Miami one trumps all.

And it really isn't close

CC.SD
07-14-2007, 09:27 PM
And it really isn't close

It's the exact opposite of close. It is...far.

constant cough
07-16-2007, 05:49 PM
"He's got tremendously strong hands and he goes after the ball extremely hard," Crowton said. "He can be a go-to guy at any time and make plays for you. Then you add the fact that he's a 400-pound bencher, a really strong blocker and really dedicated to the game, always working out, always working to get better, and it's obvious he's the real deal. He's right there with those guys that got drafted in the first round."

Just read that on the espn.com LSU preview. I didn't know Doucet was that strong.

mqtirishfan
07-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Only because only that list Miami is only school with all three wide receivers who have been in the league for more than 3 years.

And you didn't include Michael Clayton, who i still feel was the best prospect of all three of the LSU receivers. I think with Jeff Garcia at the helm, Clayton will really emerge as a playmaker again.

I guess it really depends on what you want in a receiver... because LSU has alot of prototypical West Coast receivers that are bigger possession receivers with good RAC. While the Miami and Ohio receivers are dynamic game breaking receivers that would be great in a down field Air Coryell type offense. LSU receivers obvious have the advantage with down field blocking though.

no, it's not just because of their time in the league, it's also how they were as prospects. Andre Johnson alone would probably put Miami above the other two groups.

BamaFalcon59
07-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Just read that on the espn.com LSU preview. I didn't know Doucet was that strong.

Wow, I thought that was describing Dwayne Bowe! Damn.

kmartin575
07-17-2007, 12:44 AM
Yet another LSU WR thread when none of them have played a down in the NFL?

Truth be told, I'd be okay with any of them on the Bolts, but I can't help but admire just how well Davis fits in. We already have a couple guys that are huge possession receivers, but he comes in as a deep ball/YAC guy and adds another dimension.

Just because a guy doesn't have 4.3 speed does not mean he is nothing more than a possession receiver. Are Anquan Boldin (4.71) and Larry Fitzgerald (4.63) nothing more than possession receivers?

JK17
07-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Just because a guy doesn't have 4.3 speed does not mean he is nothing more than a possession receiver. Are Anquan Boldin (4.71) and Larry Fitzgerald (4.63) nothing more than possession receivers?

I don't think he said anything about Bowe, or anyone else, being just a possession receiver...

He said the Chargers already have a bunch of posessions receivers and maybe Davis is a better fit, since he is after all, faster then Bowe.

And yes Bowe is not a deep threat, or at least the same kind as Davis is. He may be a better receiver, who knows, but he is also mainly a possession guy. Just like Boldin and Fitz are not neccesarily deep threats. They can go deep, but they are more known for being posession guys. Both are big guys who do good after the catch, because Boldin is big and can break tackles, and Fitz is good with his concentration and ball skills.

Average OT LB
07-17-2007, 01:01 AM

what would you call bowe if not possession reciever.. hopefully not speedster..

LSUALUM99
07-17-2007, 02:22 AM
LSU's passing attack this year will be on par with last years, maybe more productive.

Anyone that watched LSU over the last 3 years knows that Russell makes some of the dumbest on-field decisions of a upper-tier QB. Flynn will manage the offense much better than Russell did. There isn't alot of game film on Flynn, but if you are around LSU and/or watched the Miami-LSU bowl game it's there for you to watch.

Bowe will be the best pro. Doucet will be drafted higher than Bowe was though. Doucet is a physical marvel. I just think Bowe has a more productive career (He's the only receiving option on the outside in KC really).

TheChampIsHere
07-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Bowe, he is gonna be a straight beast in the mold of guys like TO and Anquan Boldin.

kmartin575
07-17-2007, 06:48 AM
I don't think he said anything about Bowe, or anyone else, being just a possession receiver...

He said the Chargers already have a bunch of posessions receivers and maybe Davis is a better fit, since he is after all, faster then Bowe.

And yes Bowe is not a deep threat, or at least the same kind as Davis is. He may be a better receiver, who knows, but he is also mainly a possession guy. Just like Boldin and Fitz are not neccesarily deep threats. They can go deep, but they are more known for being posession guys. Both are big guys who do good after the catch, because Boldin is big and can break tackles, and Fitz is good with his concentration and ball skills.

It's just that when somebody calls a receiver a possession receiver it just doesn't sound very good. It sounds kind of demeaning, like the guy is nothing more than a poessession receiver.

While Bowe, Fitzgerald, Boldin, etc. might not be speedsters that doesn't mean they can't beat cornerbacks (even those faster than them) deep. Didn't Jerry Rice run in the 4.6's at the combine way back when? That never stopped him from humiliating alot of cornerbacks. Terrell Owens certainly isn't faster than a guy like Bowe yet he has made plenty of cornerbacks look silly. Speed for a WR (or any position) is often overrated.

Sniper
07-17-2007, 06:58 AM
It's just that when somebody calls a receiver a possession receiver it just doesn't sound very good. It sounds kind of demeaning, like the guy is nothing more than a poessession receiver.

While Bowe, Fitzgerald, Boldin, etc. might not be speedsters that doesn't mean they can't beat cornerbacks (even those faster than them) deep. Didn't Jerry Rice run in the 4.6's at the combine way back when? That never stopped him from humiliating alot of cornerbacks. Terrell Owens certainly isn't faster than a guy like Bowe yet he has made plenty of cornerbacks look silly. Speed for a WR (or any position) is often overrated.

Thank you. The thing about 40`s that sucks is that it only measures straight line speed. Players rarely run 40 yards in one play. Some players have straight line speed while others have game speed. Jerry Rice, T.O etc...One of the big knocks on Dwayne Jarrett coming out this year was his timed speed, which if I`m not mistaken was in the high 4.5 low 4.6 region. But Jarrett plays much faster than his timed speed indicates. He runs nice, crisp routes and can read defenses, and that can make you look so much faster.

draftguru151
07-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Then why is it that people questioned his speed before he his pro day or combine? His deep speed was always a question before he ran anything.

Both Boldin and Fitzgerald ran in the 4.4s at their pro day, Jarrett ran in the 4.6s at his pro day.

Staubach12
07-17-2007, 10:20 AM

Um, can we get an explanation, here? Why will both of this years be busts?

Bowe has an incredible skill set. He's big, physical, fairly fast, and runs good routes. His hands have vastly improved since he got Lasik surgery, and I don't think they'll be much of a problem. He reminds me of Terrell Owens, personally.

Craig Davis is big, fast, has pretty good hands, etc. He's a good deap threat, and he'll be playing on the best offense in the league. The only thing is he shy's away from contact. I don't see many problems with Davis.

And about Doucet, he'll be great this year. Matt Flynn is a very good QB Doucet has maybe the besty skill set out of any of these LSU WRs, and it really won't make a huge difference if Flynn is throwing the ball.

CC.SD
07-17-2007, 12:02 PM

Easy, killer. Read my post again, I said nothing about Bowe. I said the Bolts have a couple good possession guys, and Davis is a better fit with them because he's a different mold. And it's true.

DLS42
07-17-2007, 12:23 PM
Then why is it that people questioned his speed before he his pro day or combine? His deep speed was always a question before he ran anything.

Both Boldin and Fitzgerald ran in the 4.4s at their pro day, Jarrett ran in the 4.6s at his pro day.

Actually boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine.
http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/prodayresults.html
Anquan Boldin (6-0 5/8, 218, 4.60/40) | Florida State. Boldin’s 40-time at the NFL Combine was 4.70-4.75.
http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/febrank.html

Anquan Boldin: WR (6-2, 205, 4.75) | Florida State. Boldin had a disastrous NFL Combine. If his 4.75-4.83 40-times weren’t bad enough, Boldin looked like a guy who still was learning the nuances of the wide receiver position. Granted, Boldin is a former quarterback who is still learning how to play wide receiver, but if he wasn’t ready, why did he leave school early. Boldin also showed a lack of good route running skills. He also has durability questions. He sustained left hand, shoulder, and knee contusions in the Sugar Bowl and missed the 2001 season with a knee injury.

constant cough
07-17-2007, 12:32 PM
I don't think Davis shy's away from contact anymore than Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wyane, Isaac Bruce or Torry Holt do. That's just the type of reciever that Davis is. He's a pretty tough dude I've seen him make quite a few catches over the middle on 3rd and 4th downs throughout his career at LSU.

And there is no question what's so ever that out of Bowe, Davis and Doucet that Davis has the best hands. No question at all. It's not even up for debate.

Anyway Doucet is down at the Manning Passing Academy and he's the only reciever that Peyton is throwing to. Eli like wise is working exclusively with LSU freshman reciever Terrance Toliver. Joseph Addai and Early are good friends so I'm sure Joe gave Peyton the heads up on Doucet. Catching passes from Russell and Peyton can't help but get you ready for the NFL.

JK17
07-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Actually boldin ran a 4.7 at the combine.
http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/prodayresults.html

http://www.ffmastermind.com/2003/premium/madness/febrank.html

He said their pro days...

IrishBrowns
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Bowe WILL be the best of all 3....

mark it down

CC.SD
07-17-2007, 06:43 PM
Bowe WILL be the best of all 3....

mark it down

I'd bet on Doucet. mark it down. <<Look I have more credibility now.

Vikes99ej
07-17-2007, 06:48 PM
Eddie Kennison! (He went to LSU)

constant cough
07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Actually the best LSU reciever this year will be Devery Henderson.

CC.SD
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Actually the best LSU reciever this year will be Devery Henderson.

No way, Clayton makes his comeback this year with Jeff Garcia and no injuries.

kmartin575
07-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Combine numbers are more accurate. Everybody's pro day numbers are faster than their combine numbers:

Larry Fitzgerald- 4.63
Anquan Boldin- 4.71

If you want to go off of pro day times then Dwayne Bowe runs in the 4.4's as well.

kmartin575
07-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Easy, killer. Read my post again, I said nothing about Bowe. I said the Bolts have a couple good possession guys, and Davis is a better fit with them because he's a different mold. And it's true.

I realize that. I did not take offense to anything you wrote. I was just explaining that I hate when receivers are called possession receivers.

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I think all three will be real good, but I like Bowe to succeed moreso than the other two.

Vikes99ej
08-02-2007, 09:49 PM
I think Davis might have a better statistical year than Bowe. Just look at KC's QB situation.

Geo
08-02-2007, 09:52 PM
The offense itself and Bowe continuing to holdout don't help either.

Javzz
08-02-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think you can really say at this point, considering the best is yet to come from Early on the college level. He was THE guy all throughout spring practice and the spring game.

Beans
08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Michael Clayton...!!

Geo
12-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Giving this a bump, mainly because Doucet doesn't look to warrant a pick in the 1st round at all and that means the following won't happen as once considered:

Miami Hurricanes

Ohio State Buckeyes

LSU Tigers
Early Doucet (2008?)
Ah well, there will still be the Miami and Ohio State trios.

soybean
12-02-2007, 08:46 PM
Giving this a bump, mainly because Doucet doesn't look to warrant a pick in the 1st round at all and that means the following won't happen as once considered:

nobody can touch that miami trio.

hey how about

dwayne jarrett
steve smith
keary colbert

LOL jk.

Smokey Joe
12-02-2007, 08:47 PM
The Bowe Man.

Geo
12-02-2007, 08:50 PM
nobody can touch that miami trio.
Confirmed. Plus you can ignore fraud Santana Moss and also consider tight end Jeremy Shockey (2002, 14th overall). Beastly.

etk
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
Terrance Tolliver.

Flyboy
12-02-2007, 11:04 PM

I still think some team might take a flyer on Doucet in the first.

saintsfan912
12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Don't forget about Demetrius Byrd, our most consistent WR. JuCo transfer, still has another year to shine!

fischbowl
12-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Terrance Tolliver.

I agree. Tolliver is a beast.

SenorGato
12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
:eek: @ the lack of Bowe love in this thread.

Big, fast, physical WRs are the sh*t nowadays...wheres the Bowe love?

I'd take him then Tolliver please.

kmartin575
12-05-2007, 01:11 AM
I think Bowe answered this question. He is well on his way to a 1,000 yard season as a rookie. He only needs about 215 yards the last 4 games.

wogitalia
12-05-2007, 03:13 AM
Bowe has been a fantastic pickup for me in fantasy football.

Had faith in him, had a choice out of him, Calvin and Davis and made the right choice. Too bad I took Rudi Johnson.

bored of education
12-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Dwayne Bowe is going to be an ELITE receiver. He is well on his way, on target for over 1000 yards as a rookie in an inept offense.

12-05-2007, 11:06 AM
davis and doucet wont ever be anything more than a quality #2 receiver while bowe is a special playmaker worthy of being a top receiver on almost any team. this isnt an argument really.

bored of education
12-05-2007, 11:10 AM
BOWE is BEASTLY dawgs. No contest!

12-05-2007, 11:14 AM
theres a reason bowe was the top receiver out of all three of em last year.

Oaktown1981
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
I think Doucet has the most talent.

YAYareaRB
12-05-2007, 11:28 AM
Demetrius Byrd