PDA

View Full Version : Federer vs. Nadal... again

Namy
07-08-2007, 06:09 AM
The clear #1 and #2 meet up again. In just a month, it's another grandslam, another final. Nadal won on his clay; likewise, it seems logical that Federer will win again on his grass. However, Federer did cease Nadal's consecutive clay court victories. I'm sure Nadal would like to exact some revenge on one of the biggest tennis stages possible.

So. Who wins? Score predictions? If Nadal wins Wimbledon, how seriously should he be considered as the world #1 over Federer? For me, Federer will win if it's in 3 or 4 sets. Nadal will win if it goes to 5 sets. While it is grass, recent court changes to make the surface slower has helped out Nadal to use the topspin more effectively than the past.

However, I believe Federer will win. He has had rest and Nadal has played a lot of tennis leading up to the event. Final score: 7-6 (3), 6-3, 6-7 (4), 7-5

SeanTaylorRIP
07-08-2007, 08:42 AM
I hate Nadal, as much as LeBron James. Maybe he could beat Federer if he wasn't picking his ass and moaning all day.

princefielder28
07-08-2007, 08:50 AM
Federer is the Tiger Woods of Tennis and Nadal is the lefty, Phil Mickelson, that has the skill set but finds a way to lose when they going head to head.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-08-2007, 09:15 AM
Federer. As long as it's off clay, I think he is the much superior player.

MaxV
07-08-2007, 09:33 AM
GREAT 1st set.

Even if you're not a tennis fan, you will enjoy this match.

MaxV
07-08-2007, 09:35 AM
LOL, Roger facing 2 break point, serves 3 straight aces and wins the point.

The man has ice in his veins.

stephenson86
07-08-2007, 09:46 AM
nadal is overrated

federer is a god

federer will win

MaxV
07-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Rafa takes 2nd set.

It'll be something if Nadal beats Roger on this surface.

MaxV
07-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Federer:

278-12 vs. everyone else
4-8 vs. Nadal

That's unreal.

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Feder is finally turning it up. Look out folks

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Double Post

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I really, really hate Nadal. I don't know what it is about him but I don't like him at all. Maybe it's his facial expressions and the fact that he talks out of hte side of his mouth.

SuperMcGee
07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
I was rooting really hard for Roddick this year. He didn't have to win, but I just really wanted him to do better than Nadal. Would've loved to at least see him get to Federer in the semis. He won like the first two sets in the quarters and then lost the next three all in tiebreakers.

MaxV
07-08-2007, 11:44 AM
This is a great match.

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 11:50 AM
This is a great match.

Probably the best match i've ever watched

SuperMcGee
07-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I changed it for a bit when this set was at 2-2 and Nadal was leading 40-15 in the fifth game. When I turn it back Federer has won that game and has just been outstanding since.

Brodeur
07-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Great final set by Federer to take it.

SuperMcGee
07-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Federer is one of the best anythings I've ever seen.
This match made me want to watch tennis full time.

Vince Lombardi
07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Federer owns grass courts, what can you say....

Nadal had a pretty good run though for someone who usually struggles on grass.

MaxV
07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
Nadal has outplayed Federer for a majority of this match, but Rog just finds a way to win.

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 12:03 PM
Probably the best match i've ever watched

You haven't seen many matches then. While this was very good I a James Blake match that was just incredible. Of the big Championships though this is one of the best ever.

I hate Nadal.

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Nadal has outplayed Federer for a majority of this match, but Rog just finds a way to win.

Thats what champions do

MaxV
07-08-2007, 12:06 PM
The best match I've ever saw was the last one that Roger Federer lost in the Grand Slam not named Rolland Garros.

That was a 5-set EPIC in the semis against the eventual winner Marat Safin, in the Australian Open.

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 12:12 PM
You haven't seen many matches then. While this was very good I a James Blake match that was just incredible. Of the big Championships though this is one of the best ever.

I hate Nadal.

IMO the fact that it was a championship makes it an even greater match

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 12:19 PM
IMO the fact that it was a championship makes it an even greater match

Eh, I've seen better. I saw a James Blake match that lasted 5 or 6 hours that was just amazing.

Federer did not have his A game today, way too many unforced errors but champions find a way to win, and he got to Nadal's backhand. That's why Rafa is so damn tough, it's because he plays to Roger's backhand from his forehand, but once Roger figured out to hit to Nadal's backhand he gave him trouble.

JETS5128
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Eh, I've seen better. I saw a James Blake match that lasted 5 or 6 hours that was just amazing.

Federer did not have his A game today, way too many unforced errors but champions find a way to win, and he got to Nadal's backhand. That's why Rafa is so damn tough, it's because he plays to Roger's backhand from his forehand, but once Roger figured out to hit to Nadal's backhand he gave him trouble.

The one against Agassi at the US open?

BuckNaked
07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Nice, I voted for Federer after he won. Score!

princefielder28
07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Nice, I voted for Federer after he won. Score!

Federer is unbelieveable!

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Damnit, Federer wins agian. Do me a favor next year Rodger. Go make a watch or somthing during this time so i can see some one new win it. You nuetral wanker.

simms2clayton
07-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Federer is the most talented player in the history of the game with Bjorn Borg being a close 2nd.

Federer has absolutely no weaknesses in his game period. Might have the best backhand of all time too.

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Damnit, Federer wins agian. Do me a favor next year Rodger. Go make a watch or somthing during this time so i can see some one new win it. You nuetral wanker.

Oh shut up TT. Roger is a class act and I'm glad to see him win all these. I just want him to keep beating Nadal whenever they play.

Javzz
07-08-2007, 06:01 PM

I didn't see it as such. Rafa's backhand was killer all day, especially when he went cross court. To me, it looked like Rafa was just running out of gas in the 5th. Not really suprising considering he insane schedule he went through this week.

Namy
07-08-2007, 06:52 PM
What a surprsing match! Really thought it was gonna be Federer in four... not facing much trouble at all... instead, Federer lost his composure several times. A lot can be taken from this match. Federer is truly the best tennis player to have played the game so far.

However, keep in mind that Nadal did much better on Federer's favorite court surface than Federer did at Rolland Garros. Also, must I mention that Nadal is much younger. I won't be surprised if Nadal wins the U.S. Open if he's healthy and Wimbledon next year. Who knows, Nadal might have done much better had he not played with that brutal schedule. Federer is just a brilliant court general, but Nadal is a relentless punisher.

I honestly think that Nadal's time as #1 is not that far away.

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 06:56 PM
I didn't see it as such. Rafa's backhand was killer all day, especially when he went cross court. To me, it looked like Rafa was just running out of gas in the 5th. Not really suprising considering he insane schedule he went through this week.

Rafa's forehand was killer all day long. Federer switched and hit to his backhand and Nadal started making mistakes.

Using the fatigue excuse is a cop out IMO. I understand his schedule but he's a highly conditioned athlete. Everyone's schedule was messed up this year. Federer executed down the stretch and Rafa didn't.

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Oh shut up TT. Roger is a class act and I'm glad to see him win all these. I just want him to keep beating Nadal whenever they play.

I hate Rodger. Mostly because I'm a Roddick fan. Why would you want him to beat Nadal? Nadal is way danker than that swiss sissy Rodger.

Namy
07-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Rafa's forehand was killer all day long. Federer switched and hit to his backhand and Nadal started making mistakes.

Using the fatigue excuse is a cop out IMO. I understand his schedule but he's a highly conditioned athlete. Everyone's schedule was messed up this year. Federer executed down the stretch and Rafa didn't.

It's not a cop out. It's just reality. I'm NOT crediting Federer's victory to Nadal's fatigue. Federer did execute fantastically and he should deserve credit and glory for his victory.

However, you can't overlook the scheduling. Federer had a nice 4 or 5 day rest before getting two matches before the finals to kind of warm him back up. FEderer had the best schedule period. Nadal played for 5 consecutive days. Two of those matches were 5 sets (and a case can be made that they wouldn't have been 5 sets had it not been for the rain delay) excludin the final which was also a 5 setter. Nadal played great but had a minor injury and broke down in the 5th set. Fatigue was a factor.

Javzz
07-08-2007, 10:10 PM

Yeah Nadal's backhand isn't as good as his forehand, but that doesn't mean his backhand wasn't exceptional as well. Federer never really attacked his backhand particularily. In the 5th set Federer started stepping around Nadal's second serve, since it really didn't have the pop it did the first four sets. It's easier to rip a return cross court, so he went cross court.

I'm not making an excuse for Nadal, I'm merely pointing out his serve/shots had noticeably less juice than they usually do in the 5th set, and he wasn't making an effort for balls he usually goes after. Considering Nadal has played longer matches on the dirt showing little to no fatigue, I don't think it's out of the question to shoulder some of the blame onto the insane schedule he was forced to play due to the weather. Notice, I said some, as he still didn't execute when he had the opportunities.

This isn't really about Wimbledon, but I expect Nadal to do better during the hard court season/US Open too. Don't think he'll get to the US Open final though, it'll be intresting if he runs into Blake again.

bearfan
07-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Im so bummed that Nadal lost, it was that one game tied up 2-2, and he was up 30-15 or 30-love and he went for the winner, and missed. After that break, Nadal couldnt rally anything. And Nadal will be ranked #1 pretty soon IMO, he is only 21 I believe, and will only get better