PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever been to Italy?

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 04:26 PM
I'm going to Rome in August for a semester abroad and i was curious if anyone had any advice/ things to do. I'll have some time to travel outside the country too and see some other European places... so that would help asa well, And yes, I know I will miss the entire Green Bay football season.

07-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Go to the greatest sporting venue in world history. The Coliseum!!

Primetime21
07-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Yea I went to Italy on a school trip. The best advice I can give you if a vender on the street is trying to sell you a 10 euro Rolex then its probaly not a Rolex.

Eaglez.Fan
07-08-2007, 04:36 PM
I went when I was 4.

07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Yea I went to Italy on a school trip. The best advice I can give you if a vender on the street is trying to sell you a 10 euro Rolex then its probaly not a Rolex.

Probably? Try not. Many Gypsies over there.

DLS42
07-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Is italy reallly worth the NFL season? I think not.

simms2clayton
07-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Italian women are hot...get laid.

Shane P. Hallam
07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
My ex-girlfriend went there last summer and one of my good friends is there now.

Most of the preparation stuff I'm sure the school helps you with. Convert your money when you get there, but have a debit card for anything big and just use the Euros when on the street. That's your safest bet as not to get screwed moneywise is to use the card as much as possible.

duckseason
07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Modano would be the man to talk to, I think.

07-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Man dude that sucks. The WHOLE NFL SEASON! That really sucks.

Nitschke-Hawk
07-08-2007, 04:53 PM
You need a Slingbox my friend!!!!

http://us.slingmedia.com/page/products.html

simms2clayton
07-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Only Sunday Ticket can save what is left of this man's entire being.

Primetime21
07-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Probably? Try not. Many Gypsies over there.

No the Gypies dont sell watches they sell like sheets to put on your head(kinda like a gypsy turban).

Best thing about Rome has to be the food, and check out Florence, IMO Florence has a lot more attractions and better people.

bantx
07-08-2007, 05:30 PM
italy sounds fun missing the season doesnt

07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
My heart is with a man who has no NFL coverage.

Green Bay Scat
07-08-2007, 05:35 PM
they steal so much over there, they have lil kids as pickpocketers and they can steal good, so dont bring ur wallet if ur over there, try putting it in your sock, i think ull notice that

BigDawg819
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm going to Rome in August for a semester abroad and i was curious if anyone had any advice/ things to do. I'll have some time to travel outside the country too and see some other European places... so that would help asa well, And yes, I know I will miss the entire Green Bay football season.

Well it is only the Packers............... :D

Moses
07-08-2007, 06:05 PM
I've been there.

Pickpockets are a major problem, especially in Rome. Money belt is likely the best option.

It's a great place and there are many beautiful and interesting places to visit. The most beautiful place I've ever been to in my life is in Italy, it's an island called Capri.

I went to all the major spots across Italy I believe. Here a few pictures I took:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9563/dsc00180xd6.jpg
On a Gondola in Venice.

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/5289/dsc00252nh6.jpg
Overlooking Florence.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5607/dsc00367ls1.jpg
Looking out from Capri.

BigDawg819
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
I've been there.

Pickpockets are a major problem, especially in Rome. Money belt is likely the best option.

It's a great place and there are many beautiful and interesting places to visit. The most beautiful place I've ever been to in my life is in Italy, it's an island called Capri.

I went to all the major spots across Italy I believe. Here a few pictures I took:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/9563/dsc00180xd6.jpg
On a Gondola in Venice.

http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/5289/dsc00252nh6.jpg
Overlooking Florence.

http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5607/dsc00367ls1.jpg
Looking out from Capri.

Capri looks absolutely amazing!

bantx
07-08-2007, 06:11 PM
those pics are pretty cool
italy looks awesome

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 06:29 PM

I'll see plently of NFL seasons throughout my lifetime. This is the only chance I get to go there for school. I'm a European history major.... so one cannot go many better places than Rome for that. I'm not too upset about it.

Moses, How expensive is everything over there? Like food transportation and other everyday things? How long is the plane flight?

Moses
07-08-2007, 06:35 PM
I'll see plently of NFL seasons throughout my lifetime. This is the only chance I get to go there for school. I'm not too upset about it.

Moses, How expensive is everything over there? Like food transportation and other everyday things?

Food is actually pretty decently priced for the most part. It obviously depends where you eat but it's no more expensive than eating out in the USA or Canada. One thing to remember is always get the price BEFORE you buy it. Some places have scams setup where they'll sell you something (for example, Gelato) and then ask for a ridiculous amount of money after they give it to you.

I never had to pay for transportation since I was on a tour so the cost of the tour covered it.

Also, be aware that a lot of things (especially in the streets) can be haggled for. Guys will walk up to you and try to sell you stuff all the time. It's always counterfeit and low-quality. Still, if you want to pick something up, haggle like crazy. Be willing to leave because there are a million other guys selling the same things.

sweetness34
07-08-2007, 06:37 PM
My grandparents are from Italy, but I've never been there. My grandpa is from a town that has 2 people currently living in it, no joke.

BufFan71
07-08-2007, 06:42 PM
im going to Poland next to summer

BigDawg819
07-08-2007, 06:46 PM

I envy you!

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Food is actually pretty decently priced for the most part. It obviously depends where you eat but it's no more expensive than eating out in the USA or Canada. One thing to remember is always get the price BEFORE you buy it. Some places have scams setup where they'll sell you something (for example, Gelato) and then ask for a ridiculous amount of money after they give it to you

I hate to be so sterotypical, but is all the food pasta and stuff like that?

Also, if anyone else has any suggestion of other places to visit in Europe let me know because I'm looking into buying a rail pass taht costs near 1500 dollers that is unlimited. Plus, I'll have like a month after my school is over to just travel.

BufFan71
07-08-2007, 07:04 PM
I envy you!

both my parents moved here from poland and my aunt finally moved back, so me my mom and older brother are gonna go up there and visit...

going to poland my senior year....wats better than that?

Moses
07-08-2007, 07:06 PM

Also, if anyone else has any suggestion of other places to visit in Europe let me know because I'm looking into buying a rail pass taht costs near 1500 dollers that is unlimited. Plus, I'll have like a month after my school is over to just travel.

I'm sure that you can eat pretty much whatever you want while you're there. I aimed at eating traditional Italian food which tends to be a lot of pasta and bread. The pizza is REALLY different there. Give it a try. Also, Gelato is amazing.

Xonraider
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
You wont miss the season... they have ESPN there, so Monday and Sunday nights are broadcasted, only that you'll have to wake up at about 3 AM or something...

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 07:09 PM
both my parents moved here from poland and my aunt finally moved back, so me my mom and older brother are gonna go up there and visit...

going to poland my senior year....wats better than that? Aright, sorry, but i have to point this out. One of my biggest pet peeves. People who say " going up there" when it's supposed to be over or down. Unless you live in Egypt, Austria , or somtihng close to there, you're going " over there"

the dude
07-08-2007, 07:11 PM

I'll show you copenhagen, really cool city

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/Anders_skak/denmark_sm00.jpg

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
I'll show you copenhagen, really cool city

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/Anders_skak/denmark_sm00.jpg

Yeah, I've always thought Denmark would be a sweet place to go. Especially because Denmark's capitol is named the same as my favorite chew...

BufFan71
07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5754/aaaaaaaari3.jpg

so im still going up to Poland lol

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 07:18 PM
http://img386.imageshack.us/img386/5754/aaaaaaaari3.jpg

so im still going up to Poland lol

That's not up, Magellan.

BufFan71
07-08-2007, 07:19 PM
my bad diagonally.........diagonally up

the dude
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I've always thought Denmark would be a sweet place to go. Especially because Denmark's capitol is named the same as my favorite chew...

I'm going to amsterdam in august, awsome city as well

BuckNaked
07-08-2007, 08:10 PM

And that is relevant to a thread about Italy in what way?

BigDawg819
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
And that is relevant to a thread about Italy in what way?

Hey Poland kicks ass! Besides its a place that TitleTown could go too, I've always wanted to go to Warsaw.

TitleTown088
07-08-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm going to amsterdam in august, awsome city as well

Yeah, I will be flying into Amsterdam. Should be fun to stay there a few days.

PACKmanN
07-09-2007, 12:49 AM
I heard they make excellent pizzas :)

swordman
07-09-2007, 04:10 AM
Hi guy I am french so maybe I can help you out

Few places I advice you to visit is

Paris--beautiful city lots of museum if you are majoring in european history it can be a great city but not for too long because it can be expensive maybe like a weekend

London--Also beautiful city (personnaly I like paris better but it is just me) I don't know if you will be there but if you can go for your christmas shopping It is known to be a great time to go there

Italy--It is a beautiful country, not much fan of the people but that could be just me. Roma is a beautiful city but a lot tourist and people that bother you but a great city nonetheless. While you are in italy the must-see are florence and Venise. You MUST go to those two city. Two of the most beautiful city in Europe.

Amsterdam--great city, can be a great "entertainment city" but can be very strange. There are hookers behind window and you can do your shopping. Can be fun but I know that I tought it was fun but when I was there I found it kinda weird and degrading. Also legal weed can be fun if you are into it but there will be ten guys in the street who will propose you coke or ecsta (avoid these guys).

I also went to austria and vienna is a very beautiful city it is very underrated so there is not much tourist and that is always a plus

I also lived for three months in Poland. Let me tell you it was probably the greatest three months of my life. Life cost nothing you can party everyday of the week and realize you still have money to party on the weekend food is cheap as hell ( I was going to restaurants half of the day) and girl are slutty as hell and if you manage to squeeze in a sentence that you are american you will probably bang the girl(worked with french but american should work too) but watch out there are lots of girl who are here just to tease you and you will never get her but it is not a big problem because there are always a lot of others girls. One thing: if you are black it is a double or nothing. First there are almost ZERO non-white people in poland except my friend I saw only two black people in three months. It is a double or nothing case a lot of polish men are kinda racist (not hardcore nazi sh!t but let's just say they are affraid of what they don't know) but with girls it will help you BIG TIME. True story: my friend(black) got a girl his first night in poland while not speking polish and very few english and the girl that did not speak english at all. You want to know how he did it? He just sat there in a club(lots of club in poland and not too expensive for us) and the girl paid HIM beers and they ended up at her place...So black can help. Just for the info I was in Wroclaw a very young city(half of the population are students). If you go to Cracow or Varsow it might not be like this there are maybe a lot more thing to visit but therefore there is a lot more tourist and it can be less fun. I have never been there but from what I am told Czech republic is the same thing but a bit more expensive but it will be closer to italy than poland. Also it probably helped me that I was not alone because I think it will be hard to wuicly make friend in poland but if you can find a few buddies in Roma you can do a great trip there

Ok so those are my experiences hoped it helped you. Whatever you will do you will probably just enjoy living life differently for a few months. Just enjoying a different way of life is great.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-09-2007, 04:14 AM
My advice is to leave Rome as much as possible. That city left a rather foul taste in my mouth, and southern Italy is so much better.

Just make sure you get to see all of what Italy has to offer, because Rome is going to be swarming with tourists and people trying to rip off those tourists.

swordman
07-09-2007, 04:17 AM
My advice is to leave Rome as much as possible. That city left a rather foul taste in my mouth, and southern Italy is so much better.

Just make sure you get to see all of what Italy has to offer, because Rome is going to be swarming with tourists and people trying to rip off those tourists.

Very true about rome but I think It is a bit better during the year so leave for the hollydays you will have th rest of the year to seee this city
I have never been to south Italy but I have been told it is great!! There are regions where the old mafia godfather-style is still in action but I think tourists don't have much to worry about

Moses
07-09-2007, 06:10 AM

I got the same feeling although there are some must-see sights in Rome. Gotta love the North African soldiers selling fake Gucci or the Indians selling sunglasses though.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-09-2007, 06:44 AM
I got the same feeling although there are some must-see sights in Rome. Gotta love the North African soldiers selling fake Gucci or the Indians selling sunglasses though.

Rome is worth seeing, but I found it among the least enjoyable major cities I encountered in Europe (along with, major surprise, Amsterdam). The religious presence in the city gives it a weird vibe at all times and it is just a zoo of people. It's like Venice with more people and (slightly) less stench.

Oh, and OP, if you can go to Greece for as long as you can. Greece is the greatest goddamn place ever.

BufFan71
07-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I also lived for three months in Poland. Let me tell you it was probably the greatest three months of my life. Life cost nothing you can party everyday of the week and realize you still have money to party on the weekend food is cheap as hell ( I was going to restaurants half of the day) and girl are slutty as hell and if you manage to squeeze in a sentence that you are american you will probably bang the girl(worked with french but american should work too) but watch out there are lots of girl who are here just to tease you and you will never get her but it is not a big problem because there are always a lot of others girls. One thing: if you are black it is a double or nothing. First there are almost ZERO non-white people in poland except my friend I saw only two black people in three months. It is a double or nothing case a lot of polish men are kinda racist (not hardcore nazi sh!t but let's just say they are affraid of what they don't know) but with girls it will help you BIG TIME. True story: my friend(black) got a girl his first night in poland while not speking polish and very few english and the girl that did not speak english at all. You want to know how he did it? He just sat there in a club(lots of club in poland and not too expensive for us) and the girl paid HIM beers and they ended up at her place...So black can help. Just for the info I was in Wroclaw a very young city(half of the population are students). If you go to Cracow or Varsow it might not be like this there are maybe a lot more thing to visit but therefore there is a lot more tourist and it can be less fun.

sounds good to me lol

ricky bobby
07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
I was there when I was less than a year old. I guess that doesn't count. If I can go tour one country, i'd probably choose Italy. Looks like a beautiful place.

LitoSheppard
07-09-2007, 10:47 AM
No, but I've been to New York which is essentially the same,

French and New York- **** in alleys
France and New York- Smell Bad
France and New York- People on the street try to sell you fake watches, glasses, prada, and other brand name items.

ripdw27
07-09-2007, 11:13 AM
my great grandpa moved here from italy because he was a wanted man for making a few hits... so ive got killer blood in me lol

Giantsfan1080
07-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Capri was my favorite place in Italy. I was lucky to stay pretty much all over the major cities there and Sorrento/Capri was definitely my favorite. Rome is pretty polluted and as someone mentioned it's a whole mess of people. Florence is really nice on The Arno.

BufFan71
07-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I also lived for three months in Poland. Let me tell you it was probably the greatest three months of my life. Life cost nothing you can party everyday of the week and realize you still have money to party on the weekend food is cheap as hell ( I was going to restaurants half of the day) and girl are slutty as hell and if you manage to squeeze in a sentence that you are american you will probably bang the girl(worked with french but american should work too) but watch out there are lots of girl who are here just to tease you and you will never get her but it is not a big problem because there are always a lot of others girls. One thing: if you are black it is a double or nothing. First there are almost ZERO non-white people in poland except my friend I saw only two black people in three months. It is a double or nothing case a lot of polish men are kinda racist (not hardcore nazi sh!t but let's just say they are affraid of what they don't know) but with girls it will help you BIG TIME. True story: my friend(black) got a girl his first night in poland while not speking polish and very few english and the girl that did not speak english at all. You want to know how he did it? He just sat there in a club(lots of club in poland and not too expensive for us) and the girl paid HIM beers and they ended up at her place...So black can help. Just for the info I was in Wroclaw a very young city(half of the population are students). If you go to Cracow or Varsow it might not be like this there are maybe a lot more thing to visit but therefore there is a lot more tourist and it can be less fun.

sounds good to me lol

this post got me an infraction!! i was too lazy to quote that long paragraph that someone else wrote and i got an infraction.......thats a bunch of Mularky

BigDawg819
07-09-2007, 01:36 PM
this post got me an infraction!! i was too lazy to quote that long paragraph that someone else wrote and i got an infraction.......thats a bunch of Mularky

Another example of holding down the Polish Man! That or the the Nazi reference?

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/1538/polish3_1.gif

swordman
07-10-2007, 03:35 AM
Let me tell you it was probably the greatest three months of my life.

(NOT hardcore nazi sh!t but let's just say they are affraid of what they don't know)

I said NOT (It would be very dumb to say poland is nazi if you think so go check your history)
I actually love polish people. I LOVE POLAND
My three months there was the best time of my life (or close enough)
Eh sorry but that what my experience led me to think I may be wrong but that is how I feel

swordman
07-10-2007, 03:42 AM
No, but I've been to New York which is essentially the same,

French and New York- **** in alleys
France and New York- Smell Bad
France and New York- People on the street try to sell you fake watches, glasses, prada, and other brand name items.

Did you just compare, no said that the whole France and New york are the same....?

Because I am french and I have been to new york and that is nothing alike.

NY and Paris might be closer and even so i would disagree because execpt the drawbacks of all very touristical cities (fake-sh!t-selling/overcrowding/prices...) they are just two opposite cities. One(NY) is a skyscraper town very modern in its architecture, the other is full of history all kinds of different architecture derived from the european history.

You can't really compare those two just because they are tourists cities.
It would be like comparing Venice and Miami just because they are both coastal cities.

I am sorry but I think your comment was ignorant
(yes I am arrogant but it is because I am french so it's genetic I can't do nothing about it)

Scar
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
The $1500 unlimited train pass is the way to go. Europe's rail system is fantastic, you'll be able to get most anywhere with that. If you manage to snooze on some overnight trains, you'll save yourself some hostel stays. Also, the way to eat on the cheap in Europe is to hit the farmers markets and roadside vendors for bread and fruits. Eat on the go. Your money will also stretch a lot further in Eastern Europe than it will in the UK/France/Italy/Germany. Spain is relatively cheap for the Western part though.