PDA

View Full Version : The Game That Made You a Fan

Paul
07-08-2007, 10:22 PM
The first Cowboys game that I acutally paid attention and really enjoyed was Superbowl XXVVII. The Boy's put a whooping on the Bills 52-17. I can vividly remember the touch down pass from Aikman to Irvin, where he dives in for the score. I was 6 or 7 at the time, but since that day It's been the Cowboys all te way.

I also remember Michael Jackson's halftime performance. It was pretty good actually.

SuperMcGee
07-08-2007, 10:26 PM
The first Cowboys game that I acutally paid attention and really enjoyed was Superbowl XXVVII. The Boy's put a whooping on the Bills 52-17. I can vividly remember the touch down pass from Aikman to Irvin, where he dives in for the score. I was 6 or 7 at the time, but since that day It's been the Cowboys all te way.

I also remember Michael Jackson's halftime performance. It was pretty good actually.

Well I don't remember what game made me a fan, but I sure know what post made me hate Paul. :(

Bills2083
07-08-2007, 10:32 PM
I just grew into becoming a fan. My first game though was a preseason game vs. Carolina. I think we ended up winning.

Green Bay Scat
07-08-2007, 10:33 PM
The catch Antonio Freeman made against the Vikings(In overtime?) to win the game, first ever game i watched(didnt even know what football was lol)

PalmerToCJ
07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
I had always kinda liked the Bengals being from the area and liked Carl Pickens, Darnay Scott and Ashley Ambrose, I had even been to games before but the one that really got me hooked was in '98.

I think it was @ Pittsburgh and in the last minute Neil freaking O'Donnell marched the team down to the red zone and with I believe under 20 seconds left he did a fake spike TD pass to Carl Pickens. I still remember that game like it was yesterday, I think we only won 3 or 4 games that year LOL.

The Dynasty
07-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Tecmo Super Bowl. Cousin was the Niners, Brother was the Bills and My cousins friend was the Eagles and I was just little and My cousin told me to be the Vikings and thats how i became a vikings fan. But my most remembered game was the Vikings beating the bills like 34-13 in Buffalo probably because i was there.

Boston
07-08-2007, 10:50 PM
The catch Antonio Freeman made against the Vikings(In overtime?) to win the game, first ever game i watched(didnt even know what football was lol)

That was like three years ago.

Moses
07-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Green Bay winning the Super Bowl...

Acreboy
07-08-2007, 11:09 PM
No game, my first Bobby Hebert jersey at the age of 3 made me a fan. Hell I was raised to be a Saints fan.

Green Bay Scat
07-08-2007, 11:16 PM
That was like three years ago.

i believe that was 2000, or 01. i only found out about it my fresh year when my friend, whos playing at Cal, told me to come out for try outs at Mission. I wouldnt be in it if it wasnt for him. Besides i only liked Hockey, fast paced hard hiting, no shot clocks. Go Penguins, but i hated it when they cancelled the season, still trying to get over that

HoopsDemon12
07-08-2007, 11:23 PM

HAHAAH im a bills fan and that game is what made me a fan of the bills.... and hate the cowboys....

Dam8610
07-08-2007, 11:50 PM
The first game I remember is the 1995 AFC Championship Game. I prefer the memories of the 2006 AFC Championship Game.

WMD
07-08-2007, 11:59 PM
I haven't been a Sports Follower for a long, long time.. I'd casually watch, but not follow.. I think I started following it around the time Marty Morningweg took the wind in Overtime.. and got more into it after we drafted Charles Rogers, and became a fan in his first game, when he caught two TD passes.. Unfortunately, Anquan Boldin kicked our ass that game..

At least, I think that's how it went for me..

EdReedUnstoppable
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
1996 Raiders @ Ravens, inaugaral(spelling?) game of the Ravens history and we won, and I've been hooked ever since. I would have been a fan earlier but my town's team was stolen from us.

Hawk
07-09-2007, 12:48 AM
SB XXXI fer ta win

PACKmanN
07-09-2007, 12:54 AM
GB winning the SB vs the Pats.

Dam8610
07-09-2007, 01:36 AM
I would have been a fan earlier but my town's team was stolen from us.

Only because your town tried to steal the team from its owner.

simms2clayton
07-09-2007, 01:46 AM
I was born in Tampa, FL so I guess I have always thought that I was born to be a Bucs fan...my dad was a fan of the Bucs when we lived there but after we moved he never really followed TB Football (we moved to Houston, he became an Oilers fan, we moved to KY and well he never became a fan of any pro football team lol).

I think a lot of times ppl don't become fans just through one game but progressively over time. I loved the Bucs new uniforms and I loved Warren Sapp, Johnny Lynch, Hardy Nickerson, Donnie Abraham, Ronde Barber, Derrick Brooks, Warrick Dunn, Mike Alstott...Tampa had some very markatable players back then.

I fell in love with the way that team played defense..they were fast hit hard and played the game they way it is meant to be played.

The game I remember the most though was 2000 vs. the Rams in the NFC Ship. Total *******. Prohel caught a freaking miracle pass Ronde Barber had him like white on rice I don't know how he made that catch...then Bert Emanuel made a diving catch from Shaun King late in the 4th for the 1st down, but the referee ruled it was incomplete because the bottom of the ball touched the ground AFTER HIS KNEES WERE DOWN AND HE HAD POSSESSION. I totally disagree with that ruling because that ground caused the incompletion. Unlucky break for Emanuel. We get that first down, Alstott pounds the ball in for a touchdown and we go on to win the super bowl (no way the Titans could score on us. If the Rams could only put up 13 points then the Titans would be lucky to get 3.

I know "woulda coulda shoulda" but the Bucs should have 2 Super Bowls, not 1.

Amazing what ripple effect that would cause. Then the Bucs have to keep Dungy for all eternity which means the Bucs never get Gruden...which means where would Gruden coach after he inevitably leaves Oakland????????????? It's the Butterfly Effect into motion.

Mr. Stiller
07-09-2007, 02:09 AM
The 1995 Superbowl..

I was 9. I never knew I could feel such hatred for someone I didn't know...

DAMN YOU NEIL O DONNEL!

TigerBait45
07-09-2007, 02:46 AM
It was actually college football that got me hooked. When LSU beat #1 Florida in Tiger Stadium in 1997 I knew I could never go without this game.

Green Bay Scat
07-09-2007, 05:04 AM
What made that packer game even more special, was the fact i was in the hospital a week after he had brain surgery. Its sad to think that that was the only true time we connected watching football.

Addict
07-09-2007, 06:42 AM
the game that made me a fan was...

madden '06.

gouldo
07-09-2007, 06:58 AM
Before Pay TV, Australia didn't have a lot of NFL coverage.

But back in either 1988 or 1989, I came home from work & turned the TV on. Miami were playing Cleveland. It was wet, the field look like a 5hithole, & I didn't like the jerseys of the Browns. I started watching the game & since then have followed the 'Phins.

BigJohn98
07-09-2007, 07:26 AM
Morton Anderson missing the kick in Jacksonville.

luckyjackaubrey
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Man you guys are making me feel old this am. I woke up to modern sports in the fall of 1975. My first memory was of the Fisk homerun off the foul pole against the Reds, and that got me hooked on all things Boston sports. The Patriots next season ended with the "Roughing the Passer" call on Ray Hamilton against the Raiders. It 's funny, I thought at that point that getting to the playoffs for my teams was a given, afterall I was 2 for 2 out of the gait. I had much to learn about seasons of futility. I am relishing the Brady years because I vividly remember the Hugh Millen / Tommy Hodson ones too.

Paul
07-09-2007, 08:20 AM
The 1995 Superbowl..

I was 9. I never knew I could feel such hatred for someone I didn't know...

DAMN YOU NEIL O DONNEL!

That person you had that hatred for was Larry Brown.

PoopSandwich
07-09-2007, 12:33 PM
I was a fan before this game but I became hooked in the 2002 Browns/Falcons game I was at, that was the most fun I've ever had at a sporting event.

JF4
07-09-2007, 12:42 PM
The NFC Playoff game with the Packers vs. 49ers when TO caught that damn TD pass. I'm not sure if it was the one that made me a fan but it's the earliest game I have a memory of.

steelernation77
07-09-2007, 01:12 PM
steeler fans are born in to it, like a religion

Hines
07-09-2007, 01:13 PM

that was a nice catch.....when i saw that i was like wow

Shiver
The '98 Falcons/49ers playoff game. Before that I didn't really have a "team," after that game I did.

Hines
but there wasnt a game that made me a fan

as i grew older i became more obsessed with the team
but idk i guess since my mom made me one then i have become one

Hines
07-09-2007, 01:14 PM
That person you had that hatred for was Larry Brown.

no odonnel threw him the ball

right at him too

it was neils fault not browns

princefielder28
07-09-2007, 01:15 PM
Madden '95 and the preceding Super Bowl

amag
07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
The first game that actually got me into football was the Broncos and Packers superbowl, John Elway and Brett Favre, I was like 7 or 8 years old, just watching the plays that Elway made and then going back to the superbowl the year after, yeah, that was the game, and then I just followed the Bucs since I live in tampa and that was pop's team.

SubNoize
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
I wasn't even born yet for the "game" more like a play that made me become a Raiders fan. I was 4 years old watching NFL films on whatever channel with my dad and I watched Jack Tatum absolutely light up Stingley and I had never seen anything like that before, it caught my interest right away. I asked my dad "what team is that?" my dad looked at me and said " that's the Raiders, they're the dirtiest scumbags to ever play" and i've been a fan ever since. i've always liked the "bad guys" starting with cobra commander, to the decepticons and leading to the Raiders. Bo Jackson and Tim Brown also kept my spark alive, they were great...

Canadian_kid16
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Bucs Super Bowl win in 02...not just because they won though (I watched the Pats win in 01 and I don't liek the Pats), but because of how dominating their defense was and how well they played as a team.

I also like how intense Gruden was :D

Boston
07-09-2007, 03:08 PM
The NFC Playoff game with the Packers vs. 49ers when TO caught that damn TD pass. I'm not sure if it was the one that made me a fan but it's the earliest game I have a memory of.

I remember that game. That last drive by the 49'ers was BS on so many levels.

skinzzfan25
07-09-2007, 03:18 PM
Watching the skins win the superbowl in 91.

I was 1 month :D lol. First game I remember though was something with Gus Ferrotte as QB.

BigDawg819
07-09-2007, 03:28 PM
1996 Raiders @ Ravens,inaugaral(spelling?) game of the Ravens history and we won, and I've been hooked ever since. I would have been a fan earlier but my town's team was stolen from us.

This reason is the same for me..........

Don Vito
07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Hmm I was like 7 at the time but the 1996 AFC Divisional Playoff game when the Pats played the Jags. It was a great game, very close, and it ended with O-T-I-S Smith returnung a fumble for a TD to essentially win the game. I've been a Pats fan ever since.

UKfan
07-09-2007, 03:39 PM
My first full game I remember watching was a Colts game in '03 or so I think, but I forget who against.

drowe
07-09-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm gonna date myself here.

1989-the Packers were pretty comparable the Arizona Cardinals of today. Perennial losers. the 49ers were defending champs. I knew nothing about football or sports. I did know that the Packers sucked and Joe Montana and the 9ers ruled. So, one day, I heard my dad yelling and screaming...so, i sat on the couch and watched Don Majkowski lead the Pack down the field and score the game winning TD himself. I have been a fan ever since.

BlindSite
07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I started following the Panthers in 02, (year before their superbowl run) and after watching them struggle and fight every game I became a fan. What cemented it though was the 04 season, their comeback stretch, never have I seen more grit and determination in a team.

angelsdontkill
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I started as a Panthers fan before they even started playing games, but the one that sealed it was the NFC championship against the Packers. I wanted them to win bad.

I've loved them (as well as hated the Packers and Favre) ever sense.

yo123
07-09-2007, 10:30 PM
I've been a fan forever. No specific game I can remember.

yo123
07-09-2007, 10:31 PM

I hate you.

fryman
07-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I was pretty much born obsessed with the cowboys. Dad and grandfather were both Cowboys fans. Before I was even in kindergarten I could name a lot of the starters, my room was covered in Cowboys stuff all through my school years, and I always pretended I was Aikman playing football in grade school.

yo123
07-09-2007, 10:58 PM
I was pretty much born obsessed with the cowboys. Dad and grandfather were both Cowboys fans. Before I was even in kindergarten I could name a lot of the starters, my room was covered in Cowboys stuff all through my school years, and I always pretended I was Aikman playing football in grade school.

Yeah I was a Cowboy fan too, not sure why I live in Minnesota, sometime between then and now I crossed over to the Vikings.

YAYareaRB
07-10-2007, 12:43 AM
The 94 Superbowl made me the homer you see before you..

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
Mine was actually the Packers superbowl loss to the Broncos. I remember the Packers win, but I was too young to be much of a fan. Man, what a difference a year can make.

JT Jag
07-10-2007, 12:36 PM
It was 1996 and I was 7.

The Jaguars were 8-7 and, due to events during the day, were still able to get into the playoffs if they won against the moribund Atlanta Falcons (then 3-12). But the Falcons seemed to want to end the season with a bang, wishing to crush this fragile team's dreams.

The score was 19-17. The clock had just a few seconds left. Morten Anderson, one of the greatest kickers of all time, was queuing up for a 40 yard kick.

I was crying.

And he slipped... and he missed.

Afterwards, the Jaguars had their great run of '96, beating Jim Kelly's Bills and John Elway's Broncos (who were then the favorites to win the Super Bowl).

That one moment was both the worst and the best of my life.

Sveen
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Super Bowl XXXVIII: New England Patriots - Carolina Panthers

The first game I saw.

Watchman
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Christ I feel old. You guys are all a bunch of kids. I'm not even going to answer the question because I don't want to be the only guy talking about a game from the early 80's.

princefielder28
07-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Christ I feel old. You guys are all a bunch of kids. I'm not even going to answer the question because I don't want to be the only guy talking about a game from the early 80's.

Yeah, the majority of the posters on here are no older than college students

hornybastard
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Why do you like Football?

HoopsDemon12
07-10-2007, 01:45 PM

rookie in here vet in life

Watchman
07-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Ah the hell with it. If I had to narrow if down the game that made me an NFL fan was the 1980 AFC Championship game between the Raiders and Chargers. I really liked Dan Fouts and the Air Coreal teams. Too bad they couldn't pull of the win.

Buncha whippersnappers.

princefielder28
07-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Ah the hell with it. If I had to narrow if down the game that made me an NFL fan was the 1980 AFC Championship game between the Raiders and Chargers. I really liked Dan Fouts and the Air Coreal teams. Too bad they couldn't pull of the win.

Buncha whippersnappers.

HAHA! You are old!

Watchman
07-10-2007, 01:56 PM
HAHA! You are old!

Normally I'd say its all relative, but after reading through this thread I'm feeling really old.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Why do you like Football?Brett Favre.

BigDawg819
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Buncha whippersnappers.

Man I usually feel old here being 27 but damn dude you must be posting from a rocking chair!

Watchman
07-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Man I usually feel old here being 27 but damn dude you must be posting from a rocking chair!

Hey I'm only 35, let's not get carried away. No rocking chair yet, just posting from my office.

Ravens1991
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
september 1st 1996 my 5th b-day and also the Ravens 1st ever game.

Watchman
07-10-2007, 04:53 PM

I was in grad. school during that season.

Hell I graduated H.S. before you were born.

BigDawg819
07-10-2007, 04:54 PM

Damn youngins.............

VY10
07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Texas v. Michigan. Rose Bowl. I've always been a Texas fan but after seeing the show Vince put on I have been a huge [Vince] fan ever since. He has made me go from hating the Titans to rooting for them.

ny10804
07-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Packers versus Broncos in the Super Bowl.

... actually, I came into the game rooting for the Packers, so it must've been some other game in the playoffs or something ...

stephenson86
07-11-2007, 04:50 AM
i think it was the 2003 playoffs, (maybe 04) when the titans beat the ravens 17 - 14 gary anderson kicked the winning field goal. after we got possession back because orlando brown got his second 15 yard penalty for beating on kearse so instead of going for it they had to punt

flave1969
07-11-2007, 08:17 AM
My first game I saw on TV was the first live game shown in the UK. It was the 1982 NFC Championship Game at RFK, Redskins v Cowboys. RFK was jumping and the Redskins handled Dallas. Dexter Manley knocked Danny White out of the game. He also tipped the Gary Hogeboom pass that was then intercepted by Darryl Grant for the TD that took us 11 points ahead.

Next game Riggins ran 43 yards on a fourth and 1 and broke Miami. Those two games made me the 25 year fan I am. I was 12 years old at the time.

Watchman
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
My first game I saw on TV was the first live game shown in the UK. It was the 1982 NFC Championship Game at RFK, Redskins v Cowboys. RFK was jumping and the Redskins handled Dallas. Dexter Manley knocked Danny White out of the game. He also tipped the Gary Hogeboom pass that was then intercepted by Darryl Grant for the TD that took us 11 points ahead.

Next game Riggins ran 43 yards on a fourth and 1 and broke Miami. Those two games made me the 25 year fan I am. I was 12 years old at the time.

I guess that makes you and I the resident old timers, in this thread at least.

suposed2bsweated
07-11-2007, 09:00 AM
Super Bowl XXIV(Broncos/Niners) i remember i was watching the simpsons and my dad and his friends came home being loud and changing the channel.. i got so pissed(i think i was 6 at the time), i stayed to myself for a few, then they just started gettin so into the game, that i became interested too
After that i remember getting excited whenever football(especially the niners) came on, after the superbowl i equated fball w/happiness

Chief49er
07-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Super Bowl XVI

smittyjs
07-11-2007, 02:25 PM
The game that made me a huge fan of the titans and the NFL all together, was the 2003 playoff game vs the ravens, before then i would watch the games, but i didn't get into football as much as i do now. Now it like a drug to me, i need my damn football to come back :(......

smittyjs
07-11-2007, 02:26 PM
i think it was the 2003 playoffs, (maybe 04) when the titans beat the ravens 17 - 14 gary anderson kicked the winning field goal. after we got possession back because orlando brown got his second 15 yard penalty for beating on kearse so instead of going for it they had to puntWell damn, just like me LOL

themaninblack
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
i was born and will die a bengals fan. one of my youngest pictures is of me in a Boomer Esiasion jersey complete with game pants and a Who-DEY headband. have been one as long as I can remember. my first game was at age 5 or 6.