PDA

View Full Version : Gaither a Falcon, Could it be!?

DraftMichaelHuff
07-09-2007, 12:41 AM
"Those teams which have demonstrated a particular interest in Gaither include Atlanta, Baltimore and Jacksonville. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2929635

We have the highest 3rd rounder of the three teams. We also have two 2nds

Pull the trigger. I love this guy. Id love the new coaching staff if they did this, huge Gaither fan

J-Dub
07-09-2007, 03:11 AM
i would do back flips for a year if we got him

simms2clayton
07-09-2007, 03:55 AM
Hold off on those back flips. He has a horrible attitude and work ethic. And you thought Winston Justice fell in the draft?

Gaither has elite talent and size, and I could see Petrino wanting him bad.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-09-2007, 06:41 AM
Hold off on those back flips. He has a horrible attitude and work ethic. And you thought Winston Justice fell in the draft?

Gaither has elite talent and size, and I could see Petrino wanting him bad.

I'd still be very excitied. The talent and size is something you aren't going to find alot in say Round 3 or 4. Just the potential of what he could do is far too much to pass up.

simms2clayton
07-09-2007, 07:20 AM
I'd still be very excitied. The talent and size is something you aren't going to find alot in say Round 3 or 4. Just the potential of what he could do is far too much to pass up.

I am not gonna disagree with you...but I could list off 200 past prospects that didn't make it in the NFL because they didnt' have the mental part of the game down and didn't care enough. They had all hte physical skills in the world but they had were just too immature and/or lacked a work ethic.

Teams aren't interested in underacheivers in teh NFL. Quentin Moses last year: round 3. Jonathan Scott in 2006: round 7 i believe. etc etc etc

DraftMichaelHuff
07-09-2007, 09:24 AM
It's not like he has mental lapses during the game and can't understand a playbook, its that he has trouble with his acedemic work and his inability to overcome these acedemic issues are seen by the Maryland coaching staff and most outsiders as laziness...a logic that they then apply to what Gaither must be like on the feild. I dunno, to not give up a sack in your only season as a starter your football work-ethic must'nt be too poor, at least IMO.

In response to what you said about guys with bad work ethics not succeeding ... there are a host of players who have been successes in the NFL dispite pre-existing concerns of their mental capacity, just ask Vince Young.

He is deffinatly a boom or bust guy though. Everyone knows that. What im saying is, in this case the boom has the potential to be so big and pivtol to the going forward of the Falcons that it deffinatly warrants throwing in 3rd rounder at least, even in spite of the ever-present chance of him being a bust. Besides, a late 2nd-3rd round bust is always better than a 1st round bust.

Shiver
07-09-2007, 12:36 PM
He would be a project; however, I'd feel better about him as a project than I do regarding Frank Omiyale or Quinn Ojinnaka.

Chris30277
07-09-2007, 12:43 PM
It's not like he has mental lapses during the game and can't understand a playbook, its that he has trouble with his acedemic work and his inability to overcome these acedemic issues are seen by the Maryland coaching staff and most outsiders as laziness...a logic that they then apply to what Gaither must be like on the feild. I dunno, to not give up a sack in your only season as a starter your football work-ethic must'nt be too poor, at least IMO.

In response to what you said about guys with bad work ethics not succeeding ... there are a host of players who have been successes in the NFL dispite pre-existing concerns of their mental capacity, just ask Vince Young.

He is deffinatly a boom or bust guy though. Everyone knows that. What im saying is, in this case the boom has the potential to be so big and pivtol to the going forward of the Falcons that it deffinatly warrants throwing in 3rd rounder at least, even in spite of the ever-present chance of him being a bust. Besides, a late 2nd-3rd round bust is always better than a 1st round bust.

He could easily have that attitude where he only cares about football. If we interview him heavily and feel good about it, I would be all for drafting him.

Chris30277
07-09-2007, 12:45 PM
He would be a project; however, I'd feel better about him as a project than I do regarding Frank Omiyale or Quinn Ojinnaka.

Maybe Omiyale, but I think Ojinnaka might still have some potential.

BamaFalcon59
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
A 4th, a 3rd if the interview is good.

DraftMichaelHuff
07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Ok guys results of his workout are in.
6"8 3/4
324 (down from 350)
31inch vert (6th best as the combine)
40 - 4.9-5.1 (4th fastest from the combine)
15 reps of the bench, with an injured shoulder and probably some of the longest arms to ever attempt a NFL bench press.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2930513
All with just a few weeks to prepare

If the falcons give in a 3rd and its enough to outbid, Jax and Baltimore's 3rds then id be over the moon. If we give in our 2nd and its enough to outbid the others who also throw in a 2nd rounder ill still be very happy but a 3rd would be ideal.

d34ng3l021
07-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree with the person who said he is a project player. He definetly has good measureables...I like the fact that his weight is down as well. If he sits and learns the game for maybe a year (or maybe less) I think he can do a decent job of replacing Gandy. If people expect him to contribute soon, then they are mistaken.

draftguru151
07-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Atlanta will reportedly not participate in Thursday's Supplemental Draft.

From rotoworld.

thefalconer
07-10-2007, 01:17 PM
From rotoworld.

grrrrrrrr!

DraftMichaelHuff
07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
It seems a strange that they would announce that they will not be participating at all in the supplemental draft. That means for example that they wont even throw in a 7th rounder for Gaither, this, to me doesnt make sense as the only reason they wouldnt at least throw in a very late pick (for the million to one chance that no-one bids for the draftees)would be if there isnt even enough room in the rookie pool to sign anyone, not even a 7th rounder.

Now this makes even lesser sense as the F.O would have known this before it sent, along with the Jags, enough scouts to Gaithers workout to prompt the ESPN article heading "Jags and Falcons Show Intrest in Terps Tackle", i mean if you cant afford him anyway, why bother?

Im praying this is a smokescreen or Wyche, as usual is totally off track. I hope it works and we get Gaither for less. However at the moment, i dont expect us to get Gaither, whereas before i was 50-50.