PDA

View Full Version : Where Does Manning Rate?

SF Dolphin Fan
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I was really happy to see the Colts win the super bowl this past year. I've always liked Tony Dungy, who got a raw deal in Tampa Bay. And Peyton Manning is my favorite non-Dolphin player. I've felt that Manning was the best qb in football for a long time, but winning the title was huge for him. So many people would argue that Tom Brady had 3 titles and Manning 0. I saw that more as an indication that Brady had the better all-around team. Manning has always had to do more IMO for the Colts to win then Brady had to accomplish for the Pats. Brady's awesome, but #2 in my book. So my question is this. Where does Manning rate among the all-time greats?

MaxV
07-09-2007, 05:14 PM
It's hard to tell.

You can make a case for about 5-6 QBs for being the best of all time.

I'd like to think that Peyton is top 5.

cardsalltheway
07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
At his current pace he's gonna break every QB record there is, including Favre's ironman record so a case can definitely be made for him as the GOAT but I think we definitely have to see how the rest of his career turns out. He still has quite a few good years left in him and we don't know how those will turn out.

Philliez01
07-10-2007, 01:03 AM
It's just too hard to classify a QB as a GOAT. They all have qualities that the others don't possess. Johnny U had his "tough as nails" and revolutionist-style QB play; Dan Marino has the records; Joe Montana has the bling; Tom Brady did a lot with next-to-nothing; Steve Young had mobility; Favre's a classic gunslinger with above-average mobility; Peyton has the mind and soon-to-be records. Each one brought something into this game.

The worst is that we haven't scratched the surface. There is still Bradshaw (though the D, OL and Franco/Swann/Stallworth helped), Tarkenton, Fouts, Benny Friedman, the list just goes on and on.

Dam8610
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
It's impossible to not have him in the top 10 right now IMO, and as his career goes on he's only going to get better.

Dam8610
07-11-2007, 03:00 PM
It's just too hard to classify a QB as a GOAT. They all have qualities that the others don't possess. Johnny U had his "tough as nails" and revolutionist-style QB play; Dan Marino has the records; Joe Montana has the bling; Tom Brady did a lot with next-to-nothing; Steve Young had mobility; Favre's a classic gunslinger with above-average mobility; Peyton has the mind and soon-to-be records. Each one brought something into this game.

The worst is that we haven't scratched the surface. There is still Bradshaw (though the D, OL and Franco/Swann/Stallworth helped), Tarkenton, Fouts, Benny Friedman, the list just goes on and on.

Brady, Bradshaw, Aikman, Tarkenton and Fouts don't belong in the discussion unless it's a Top 10 QBs discussion IMO.