PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!!!

LarryJohnson27
07-10-2007, 11:01 AM
I have to do a 25 min speech (final) to persuade, and the topic me and my professor came up with is football, since it is my passion, but since it's a speech to persuade, not to inform, I'm going to have to get a little creative. He thinks I should persuade the audience to "get into" football, but I'm having trouble thinking of how to do that in a 25 minute speech. What are some things I can talk about or touch on? I want to talk about High School, College, and the NFL, and I want to include things like the draft and recruiting, while still talking about the game itself.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Talk about how it is the ULTIMATE team sport. In baseball, the pitcher can basically take over and win the game, provided his team can get one measly run. In hockey, the goalie can take over the game, and if his team can just get one goal, they can win while being badly outshot. In basketball, a Michael Jordan or LeBron James can be surrounded by scrubs and take over a game, or even a playoff series from a better team.

In football, the closest thing to that is QB, but he needs receivers to catch and run routes, and OL to block for him. If a WR who isnt even getting the ball in the first place runs a wrong route, the defenders aren't where theyre supposed to be and bad things can happen. My OL coach last year told me the 5 OLmen are like a fist. Perfect for punching when theyre all working together. But if one finger sticks out of the fist, it just got a lot harder to punch someone. Just like if one linemen isnt blocking, the whole play is blown up. On defense, everyone of course needs to do their job.

Just talk about that, ask them if theyve ever played a sport and felt like they were useless for not being the best player, and then say well in football, if youre on the field, youre every bit as important as everyone else.

bsaza2358
07-10-2007, 11:23 AM
You can also talk about the lenths people will go to stay competitive and to break the rules. Parents will literally hold their kids back a year in school, so they're bigger than other kids and more physically developed to play sports. It's actually pretty sick. You can talk about drug prevention stuff as well. It's a multibillion dollar industry. Lots to do.

fischbowl
07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Talk About Amazing Comebacks, and the courage involved in them.

scottyboy
07-10-2007, 11:27 AM
if you wanna include the draft, talk about the hype and drama going into it, along with the excitement and rumors flying everywhere with who will pick who, any trades, who will fall, who'll be the steal.

also talk about the excitement of the games. The action and the diversity of how one game will be a tight defensive game with a 7-3 score, or a high scoring shootout with scores of 49-45.

oh god, just typing that little bit has got me excited for some football!!!

wiscbadgerfootball
07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
honestly.. just talking about football is a pretty lame topic for a persuasive talk, you need to go into a smaller topic within football.. maybe talk about the risk of concussions?

drowe
07-10-2007, 11:50 AM
well, if it's me talking, i could easily rant for 25 minutes about how college football should have a playoff instead of the BcS.

LarryJohnson27
07-10-2007, 11:58 AM
well, if it's me talking, i could easily rant for 25 minutes about how college football should have a playoff instead of the BcS.

That's actually a great idea.

eacantdraft
07-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Just say "Only sissies don't like football".

Other than that, try to avoid talking about the draft too much. That is only for us hardcore football fans. Talk about the changing stratagy involved, the evolution of the game to be America's passion. From the Giants-Colts OT game in 1958 to the Namath guaratee, to the Super Bowl dynasties.

Also be sure to throw in the terms "suckage" and "fangirls" in it as well.

Acreboy
07-10-2007, 12:12 PM
Going on courage talk about the guys that play injured. How they'd rather earn their pay check than sit on the sidelines and collect it there.

Shane P. Hallam
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Can you use multi-media? Make a highlight tape or something, Grab some big plays and really show the class.

HoopsDemon12
07-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Can you use multi-media? Make a highlight tape or something, Grab some big plays and really show the class.

gotta get some huge hits in there if you do... big hits.. jukes and huge blocks get people going... maybe something of ray lewis after a play?

also before games when the position groups get together for a pre-game speach.. those always get my blood going ready to play ball

Sniper
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
In hockey, the goalie can take over the game, and if his team can just get one goal, they can win while being badly outshot.

Eh don't know I'd agree that football is more of a team sport than hockey, but whatever. Like someone earlier said, you could very easily rant about the BCS/Playoff issue.,

Sniper
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
gotta get some huge hits in there if you do... big hits.. jukes and huge blocks get people going... maybe something of ray lewis after a play?

also before games when the position groups get together for a pre-game speach.. those always get my blood going ready to play ball

Get the block on the PR in the Pitt/WVU game this year. So sweet!

fischbowl
07-10-2007, 12:20 PM
if you wanna include the draft, talk about the hype and drama going into it, along with the excitement and rumors flying everywhere with who will pick who, any trades, who will fall, who'll be the steal.

also talk about the excitement of the games. The action and the diversity of how one game will be a tight defensive game with a 7-3 score, or a high scoring shootout with scores of 49-45.

oh god, just typing that little bit has got me excited for some football!!!

scottyboy did you get my pm?

AlexDown
07-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Another good idea for a topic is if college players should be paid ( or the opposite).

drowe
07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
That's actually a great idea.

yeah, i only HAVE good ideas. :)

sooooooo many points to be made.

ya could go through all the teams that have gotten snubbed, the excitement of playoffs in general.

kinda off topic, but here is my idea of how a playoff would work: top 6 teams qualify. top 2 get byes. so, it is exactly like the NFL playoffs. in theory a team would only play one more game than a regular season (playoffs could be 2 rounds but the teams would obviously be in a bowl anyway). i'd rather see a huge 16 team bracket, but that'll never happen.

works for major bowls too. bowls would rotate. 2 first round games could be the Sugar and Fiesta Bowl. 2 second round games could be the Rose and Orange Bows. championship game would be the BCS Championship Game (i figure as a compromise, we could keep the BCS involved in rankings and keep the big bowls for sponsorship).

hornybastard
07-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck is all you need to talk about.

Cashmoney
07-10-2007, 02:51 PM
you can talk about how the sport of football has other things that go with it, especially on the high school and college level, such as band, cheerleading, coaching, school spirit, money generating, yada yada yada...

Mr. Stiller
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
are you allowed any A/V help?

I would end the speech either by showing a great play (Immaculate reception, Stanford band, Flutie bomb.. etc)... and show how it's easy to get the blood pressure flowing and the excitement... that even the fans adrenaline is pumping.

Or play the audio of a great play to win the game.. one of those old ones that were like..

"OOOOH MMYYYYY GOOODDDD I DOOONNN""TT BELIEEEEVE IT... IT"S AMAZING... THE *insert Team/player here* TOOOOOK IT ALLL THE WAY AND THEY WIN... THEY WIN...

Philliez01
07-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Well if you are trying to persuade people to like the sport, talk about what the fans can do. Fantasy Football, going to TC, the rivalries (including the Eagles "Santa Claus" incident, the Baltimore - Indy fan fiascos, just the works) and basically why the NFL is great for the fans.

jbeans187
07-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Shaun Alexander and Matt Hasselbeck is all you need to talk about.

We want the ball, and we are going to...

ripdw27
07-11-2007, 10:06 AM
guess your ****** over by me for bein a chiefs fan... lol im jp

talk about how popular the off season is cuz not many sports have that much hype around the draft n training camps

how it takes teamwork n composure n whatnot and its a blend of speed strength and heart moreso then other sports..