View Full Version : Raiders sign Donovin Darius

Go_Eagles77
07-10-2007, 03:18 PM
Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931931

thoughts?

tylerb929
07-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Sucks for Schweigert, but I guess maybe Donovan won't play the whole year or all the time.

I wonder what kind of deal Darius got, anyone know?

portermvp84
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.

HoopsDemon12
07-10-2007, 03:28 PM
I'm kinda suprised we signed him. We have too good young saftey's in Huff and Schweigert. I'm guessing the main reason he was brought is he could be a good leader. He's also good against the run.

thats what i was thinking.. i mean this guy was a good player and a good person off the field if im not mistaken.. i mean the raiders have nothign to lose here...

Sveen
07-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Good signing by the Raiders. Not good news for Schweigert though.

NIN1984
07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

But yeah this sucks for Schweigert

Green Bay Scat
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Bottom line is Raiders want Huff at FS and Schweigert could become trade bait. Lane Kiffin let Darnell Bing move back to SS so maybe Darius will hold down the SS spot till Bing is ready.

or could it be Schweigert sucks?

NIN1984
07-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Schweigert was apart of the #1 Pass D in the NFL and no he doesn't suck. is he a pro bowl type player? no, but he doesn't suck.

Stash
07-10-2007, 04:33 PM
I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.

HoopsDemon12
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM
I like the Darius signing because he's a true SS and it will allow Huff to move to FS, I'm just wondering where we got the money to sign him.

back pocket? Wallet? Back Account?

Paranoidmoonduck
07-10-2007, 04:43 PM

Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.

JoeMontainya
07-10-2007, 05:00 PM
They had a very good secondary last year. Obviously if they felt they needed Darious, maybe things arent going how they hoped so far in pre training camp and they needed a boost?

skinzzfan25
07-10-2007, 05:09 PM
They have a very, very young defense. Darius provides veteran leadership to a secondary that is especially young. This allows Huff to move around more because he is probably one of the most interchangeable DBs in the league.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
this signing doesnt make a lot of sense to me to be honest. I am a big Donovin Darius fan but I feel like we have two great young safeties in Huff and Schweigert. I cant see Huff getting the bench and Schweigert has shown steady improvement for year to year and I feel like he is a natural playmaker to a degree. Regardless, I guess this means Huff moves to FS and Darius starts at SS. This should help our run D, which was the biggest weakness of our defense and he adds veteran leadership so Im ok with the signing. the contract numbers are 3 years/7 mill so its a pretty reasonable deal...I assume Kiffin will allow there to be competition for the starting jobs at S but at the end of the day its hard to see Schweigert beating out Huff or Darius. Regardless, Im a big fan of Darius and Im happy hes putting on the silver and black.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Bottom line?

The real bottom line is that Rob Ryan is employing a secondary without a set strong or free safety this year. It's gonna be Huff playing left safety (with Fabian) and Schweigert playing right safety (with Nnamdi).

I can only assume that the addition of Darius means that Ryan will just sub a lot in the secondary, something he did last year anyway. Last year Derrick Gibson was often employed in a 4th pseudo-linebacker role, and that seems like the best bet for Darius to take over at, and the best bet for Bing to play in the future.

yes, this is very true...While I assume Darius and Huff will be starters in the base package, it wont be that simple. We have a lot of good DBs with different skill sets and I would expect Ryan to sub a lot and use some different packages and looks. Im really excited about the defense, it is a great mix of youth and veterans with a lot of talented players who should continue to improve and we also appear to have excellent depth and a lot of weapons at Rob Ryans disposal.

PACKmanN
07-10-2007, 05:56 PM
so you guys are moving Huff to FS?

LonghornsLegend
07-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I think it was to move Huff back to FS...im not sure what the depth chart said, but I seen Michael Huff recently in Irving, Tx at a 24 hr fitness, and he said they had him at SS, playing majority in the box, not back at FS playing centerfield....

so maybe the signing has something to do with trying to move Huff back, because darius is better suited playing up close...im glad, because i really want to see Huff do well, and having him playing up close near the line is not his style of play at all, and he didnt have to do those things at UT

Paranoidmoonduck
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
so you guys are moving Huff to FS?

There is no set free safety in Oakland's defense. There is only left and right safties, and their actions are determined by how the offense lines up.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 06:33 PM
I feel like part of this signing is to allow Ryan to move Huff around and take advantage of his versatility because a guy like Huff can do a lot of things, he has the speed and athleticism to play man coverage on WRs, he can play as a deep safety, he cover TEs, he can function as in the box safety...

BamaFalcon59
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Jimmy Williams > Michael Huff

Homerism. But it really didn't seem too unreasonable until late in the draft process. Jimmy is also going to play FS this year (moving from CB).

etk
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I guess Carolina is content with Nate Salley.

BamaFalcon59
07-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Who? Lol.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I guess Carolina is content with Nate Salley.

yeah I thought Carolina was a good fit. I cant believe they havent gone after safety help....

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 07:03 PM
I can't say I agree with this at all. The Raiders are in the middle of rebuilding and they already had a solid safety play. Why waste the money on a guy who might not be around when the Raiders will have improved significantly enough to make some real noise around the league?

etk
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Who? Lol.

The mediocre player that will be exposed by our division repeatedly and help prevent Carolina from winning the division, as they insist they will.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 07:40 PM
I can't say I agree with this at all. The Raiders are in the middle of rebuilding and they already had a solid safety play. Why waste the money on a guy who might not be around when the Raiders will have improved significantly enough to make some real noise around the league?

well its not much money and its a short term deal...I dont think we needed him but if the Raiders believe he can help us this year, it makes sense, it wont hurt our long term plans. As far as money concerns, we need to sign Asomugha and Burgess to extensions but I dont see us going after high profile FAs of any sort in the near future. And I dont think the Darius signing will get in the way of resigning those guys.

CC.SD
07-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Hellooooo this is because LT destroys them every year. "None of the #1 pass defense in the NFL" can do a thing about that.

Komp
07-10-2007, 08:07 PM
Sapp/Burgess are great leaders on defense but I don't think they are going to help the secondary progress all that much. I personally think this is a great signing. We don't need Darius from a talent standpoint, but I think the intangibles he brings and his ability to stop the run will help us a ton this year. I don't think you can deny that he will have a positive impact on all the young players in our secondary, both on and off the field.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-10-2007, 09:08 PM
I wonder what kind of deal Darius got, anyone know?

3 year $7 million

Vikes99ej
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
Stuart Schweigert: future Vikings' starter.

art vandelay
07-10-2007, 10:00 PM
I guess the Panthers may not have signed him.

PACKmanN
07-10-2007, 10:02 PM
3 year $7 million

can anyone say steal! 2.3 million a season.

bernbabybern820
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Pssshhh rebuilding? Mr. Davis doesn't have that in his vocabulary.

PalmerToCJ
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Schweigert was apart of the #1 Pass D in the NFL and no he doesn't suck. is he a pro bowl type player? no, but he doesn't suck.

You have to keep in mind that part of the reason you all had the #1 pass D was because when you're trailing all year you aren't going to get passed on very often. They were 18th best in completion percentage and dead last in attempts per game against so there's reasons other than stellar play of the defense. Now I'm not saying your pass D is bad in any way just that being #1 pass D on that team wasn't a big accomplishment.

RaiderNation
07-11-2007, 04:30 AM
Jimmy Williams > Michael Huff

Homerism. But it really didn't seem too unreasonable until late in the draft process. Jimmy is also going to play FS this year (moving from CB).

advise...go kill yourself

bored of education
07-11-2007, 07:50 AM
yeah and ok?

TheChampIsHere
07-11-2007, 08:08 AM
You have to keep in mind that part of the reason you all had the #1 pass D was because when you're trailing all year you aren't going to get passed on very often. They were 18th best in completion percentage and dead last in attempts per game against so there's reasons other than stellar play of the defense. Now I'm not saying your pass D is bad in any way just that being #1 pass D on that team wasn't a big accomplishment.

Very good point. Pass defense in terms of total yards allowed is actually one of the most irrelavent stats in football. I did this project a couple years back for statistics class and measured all these statistics and saw what bearing they had on how much a team wins and found that pass defense really had virtually none. And this does have a lot to do with how bad teams dont get passed on in the 2nd half as teams just milk the clock to hold their leads against them and also that teams with poor run D dont get passed on as as much. I better indication statswise of a good pass D is yards per attempt.

But dont get me wrong, the Raiders do have a strong pass D. Fabian Washington and Nmandhi Asumgha make a great young pair of corners, Michael Huff and Schweigert are both good young safeties, we have one of the top pass-rushers in the league with Burgess and hopefully Moses will add to our pass-rush, and Sapp is still one of the top interior rushers in the game. We have athletic LBs who can drop back into coverage (kirk morrison is extremely good dropping back into coverage)

Addiing Darius should help our run D, which wasn't bad but also could use some improvement and yes the veteran leadership.

Raiderz4Life
07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Awesome, I love Darius..i always wanted him here. He's going to be solid at the very least. I still believe he has some gas in the tank. This should really help us in run defense as he's good in run support and i also believe he's still decent in coverage.

Dam8610
07-12-2007, 01:48 AM
One question: Why?

TheChampIsHere
07-12-2007, 01:57 AM
One question: Why?

maybe read thru the thread

Dam8610
07-12-2007, 02:10 AM
maybe read thru the thread

I did. My question remains.

TheChampIsHere
07-12-2007, 02:21 AM
I did. My question remains.

are you sure? cuz the answer was reiterated several times....to help the run D, to bring veteran leadership, to add flexibility to the secondary as we can bring him in as a 4th LB on running downs or a 3rd LB on passing downs, to add depth to the secondary, because Kiffin has ties to him and thinks highly of him and thinks he can bring a lot to the organization, because they were able to sign him pretty cheaply and not to long term deal and they could afford to as they have plenty of cap space and are unlikely to look to make a splash in FA next year(extending Burgess and Asumgha should be the only major moves the Raiders make and they have the cap space to do it). Did the signing fill a major area of need? no, we certainly didnt need to sign a safety, but Darius brings a lot to the table for the Raiders and the more I think about it the more I understand why the Raiders made the move for him.

Dam8610
07-12-2007, 02:49 AM
are you sure? cuz the answer was reiterated several times....to help the run D, to bring veteran leadership, to add flexibility to the secondary as we can bring him in as a 4th LB on running downs or a 3rd LB on passing downs, to add depth to the secondary, because Kiffin has ties to him and thinks highly of him and thinks he can bring a lot to the organization, because they were able to sign him pretty cheaply and not to long term deal and they could afford to as they have plenty of cap space and are unlikely to look to make a splash in FA next year(extending Burgess and Asumgha should be the only major moves the Raiders make and they have the cap space to do it). Did the signing fill a major area of need? no, we certainly didnt need to sign a safety, but Darius brings a lot to the table for the Raiders and the more I think about it the more I understand why the Raiders made the move for him.

Okay, it may make a lot of sense for the Raiders, but they aren't the only party involved here. I guess Darius doesn't value having a guaranteed starting spot?

remix 6
07-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Okay, it may make a lot of sense for the Raiders, but they aren't the only party involved here. I guess Darius doesn't value having a guaranteed starting spot?

your teams as good as your backups

TheChampIsHere
07-12-2007, 10:43 AM

yeah I would have to agree, with the price the Raiders got on Darius, I have a hard time seeing why one of the teams who had major problems at the starting safety position didnt make a bid for him.

locseti
07-13-2007, 07:39 PM
woooo hoooo! Schweigy can learn a thing or two from this guy, mainly how to hit and not get bowled over at the moment of impact.

BamaFalcon59
07-13-2007, 07:48 PM
advise...go kill yourself

Notice the "Homerism".

bigbluedefense
07-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't know if this signing necessarily indicates that Darius will start. I think there will be a rotation going on here. Perhaps in the nickel, theyll come out with 3 safeties, who knows.

I like this signing. Darius might not have much left in the tank, but at the very least he provides adequate depth (which is never a bad thing) and leadership to a young defense. He's gonna teach these young guys how to play, how to handle the offseason, and think like winners, and thats a big reason why they got him. Young teams need leadership, and adding a classy veteran to mix is not a bad thing.

The Raiders are gonna be a very curious team next year. I still don't have much faith in their offense, but if they can provide at least some help, this team should improve. If Gallery doesn't make a serious commitment to getting back in shape and working on his technique, don't hold out hope of him ever turning it around, whether its LT, RT, or even OG.

Xonraider
07-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I can see this signing made especially for the nickel formations.. maybe give Huff some play at Nickel CB, have Darius and Schweigert at safeties. In run situations, I'd guess we'd take Stu out and have Darius in, moving him near the box, while having Huff back there.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-14-2007, 01:57 PM
probably because behind our starters theres no depth.

SubNoize
07-14-2007, 04:45 PM
the DD signing gave us some quality depth behind our starters, which was needed badly because we have a lot of young guys with no experience behind Stu and Huff. Colin Branch and Cooper are special teamers all the way and BJ Ward is alright. Frampton and Bing are very young, so this is a great signing and gives Rob Ryan a lot to play with while scheming. Most likely, DD will be used in a similar role as Derrick Gibson from last year, coming in as a 4th LB pretty much on obvious running downs.

bernbabybern820
07-14-2007, 04:51 PM
the DD signing gave us some quality depth behind our starters, which was needed badly because we have a lot of young guys with no experience behind Stu and Huff. Colin Branch and Cooper are special teamers all the way and BJ Ward is alright. Frampton and Bing are very young, so this is a great signing and gives Rob Ryan a lot to play with while scheming. Most likely, DD will be used in a similar role as Derrick Gibson from last year, coming in as a 4th LB pretty much on obvious running downs.

You mean the year before last since Gibson hardly played last year other than special teams and sometimes on goal line situations.

SubNoize
07-14-2007, 04:54 PM
gibson saw some time on 1st and 2nd downs last year, not as much from the year before but i think we all got the point i was trying to make.

TheChampIsHere
07-15-2007, 01:57 AM
so who is gonna get the ax now because were not carry Huff, Stu, Darius, Cooper, Branch, Ward, Bing and Frampton all onto our roster even though I like all of them. I think a couple of them, maybe Bing and Frampton will go to the practice squad, or Bing could get moved back to LB. Ward I expect will get cut, and maybe Branch too. I see Cooper as untouchable because of what he does on ST, so I figure Huff, Stu, Darius and Cooper are all near locks to be on the roster but its possible we could take 5 on the roster which opens it up for someone like Branch, Bing, Frampton, Ward....its gonna be who shows the most in training camp and preseason.

Oaktown1981
07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
so who is gonna get the ax now because were not carry Huff, Stu, Darius, Cooper, Branch, Ward, Bing and Frampton all onto our roster even though I like all of them. I think a couple of them, maybe Bing and Frampton will go to the practice squad, or Bing could get moved back to LB. Ward I expect will get cut, and maybe Branch too. I see Cooper as untouchable because of what he does on ST, so I figure Huff, Stu, Darius and Cooper are all near locks to be on the roster but its possible we could take 5 on the roster which opens it up for someone like Branch, Bing, Frampton, Ward....its gonna be who shows the most in training camp and preseason.

FS - Huff, Stu
SS - Darius, Bing
ST - Cooper
PS - Frampton

SubNoize
07-15-2007, 05:41 PM
this signing just became much clearer...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3654&line=94152&spln=1

huff is going to play nickelback on passing downs instead of the horrid mistake routt....

locseti
07-16-2007, 12:16 AM

Bing has already been moved back to LB. C'mon Champ!

I Cant wait to see Double D laying licks in the silver and black. What a hog.

locseti
07-16-2007, 12:18 AM
this signing just became much clearer...

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=3654&line=94152&spln=1

huff is going to play nickelback on passing downs instead of the horrid mistake routt....

The article says Schweigy will get the fewest snaps of all the safety's. Ryan finally came to his senses.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Bing has already been moved back to LB. C'mon Champ!

Last I saw he was wearing number 29 and playing safety at the minicamps.

TheChampIsHere
07-16-2007, 02:08 AM
Huff as Nickeback on nickel packages sounds good to me, it should make that package a lot stronger.