PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone explain why I hate the AFC?

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I will start this out by saying that I hate 31 footballs teams in the NFL so it's not that I like more teams in the NFC. I'm also aware that I'm a fan of a NFC team, but I just find myself so uninterested with the AFC. WE all know the " AFC is the much superior conference" , but I just don't like one thing about it. What would cause this?

Scotty D
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I will start this out by saying that I hate 31 footballs teams in the NFL so it's not that I like more teams in the NFC. I'm also aware that I'm a fan of a NFC team, but I just find myself so uninterested with the AFC. WE all know the " AFC is the much superior conference" , but I just don't like one thing about it. What would cause this?

I think its your NFC roots. I have the same feeling.

PoopSandwich
07-10-2007, 07:30 PM
Maybe because the AFC always wins the Super Bowl?

HoopsDemon12
07-10-2007, 07:33 PM

I think its your NFC roots. I have the same feeling.

well i have always been a bills fan... and i hate the AFC... My favorite team is in there... but i like more teams then in the NFC... maybe its because NFC teams are not in between me and the playoffs everyyear... but that is why i think i hate the AFC

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Maybe because the AFC always wins the Super Bowl?

As of late yes, but I have always hated the AFC, even when the NFC dominated winning it.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 07:44 PM
just an illogical grudge? I dont see how you can say the AFC is uninteresting, theyre playing professional football arent they? and weve had some great games over in the AFC and intense rivarlies over recent years. If anything, it would seem one might be uninterested in the NFC because the AFC championship game is essentialy the superbowl it seems, at last the last 2 years were like that IMO...The Eagles and Panthers teams that lost to the Pats were damn good.

PoopSandwich
07-10-2007, 07:52 PM
As of late yes, but I have always hated the AFC, even when the NFC dominated winning it.

I was just joking because you said you hate the "AFC is the much superior conference" comments.

Anyways, my favorite team is in the AFC (Browns) second favorite is the Saints and they're an NFC team, I don't dislike either conference.

J-Dub
07-10-2007, 08:02 PM
b/c your ***

bearsfan_51
07-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Actually I hate the AFC because outside of the Steelers and Browns there really aren't any teams with strong historical roots (before any Raiders or Dolphins fans start ******** bricks I said HISTORICAL). The teams that founded the NFL like the Bears, Packers, Giants, Eagles, and Redskins are all in the NFC.

As a far of the Packers and a bit of a throwback, I'm guessing that would be part of the reason why.

Plus I was just never a fan of the AFL (ya know..back when I was negative 20 years old). Too gimmicky, too many hokey logos. The NFC is the conference of tradition. Sure the NFC South and West are the exception, but mostly I ignore them anyway.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-10-2007, 08:58 PM
i read ur first post and figured that u explained it all right there....whats left to say?

dabears10
07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Is it that Brett Favre does not play in the AFC?

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
Actually I hate the AFC because outside of the Steelers and Browns there really aren't any teams with strong historical roots (before any Raiders or Dolphins fans start ******** bricks I said HISTORICAL). The teams that founded the NFL like the Bears, Packers, Giants, Eagles, and Redskins are all in the NFC.

As a far of the Packers and a bit of a throwback, I'm guessing that would be part of the reason why.

Plus I was just never a fan of the AFL (ya know..back when I was negative 20 years old). Too gimmicky, too many hokey logos. The NFC is the conference of tradition. Sure the NFC South and West are the exception, but mostly I ignore them anyway.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's the reason too. There is very little tradition in the AFC. That, and the fact Manning plays in the AFC.

Shiver
07-10-2007, 09:25 PM
I think it has something to do with the underdog factor. I am sick of hearing how great the AFC is, and how much better than the NFC it is. I root for the NFC, whenever possible.

Flyboy
07-10-2007, 09:26 PM
I think it has something to do with the underdog factor. I am sick of hearing how great the AFC is, and how much better than the NFC it is. I root for the NFC, whenever possible.

Word, sir.

TheChampIsHere
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM
Even though theyre not as old as the Bears teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots...and the list can go on have plenty of tradition. Tradition is not measured by how many years youve been in the NFL. You guys are being pretty ridiculous but I guess you realize that.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Well, that could be, but I was never a fan of the AFC even when I was a little chillen and the NFC was the powerhouse conference.

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Even though theyre not as old as the Bears teams like the 49ers, Cowboys, Raiders, Patriots...and the list can go on have plenty of tradition. Tradition is not measured by how many years youve been in the NFL. You guys are being pretty ridiculous but I guess you realize that.
That would help your argument if all those teams were in the AFC.

The Unseen
07-10-2007, 09:41 PM

The AFC is great, and much better than the NFC.

Yeah, I went there.

PalmerToCJ
07-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I went there.

Haha, agreed! AFC POWER!

As for why you hate the AFC, maybe it's in your genes or something. If you've always hated it then I really have to explanation. Maybe you hate the color red?

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 09:46 PM

Yeah, I went there. Dude, you like the Jaguars.

The Unseen
07-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Dude, you like the Jaguars.

Umm...touché...? (What the heck, I'll play along.)

VY10
07-10-2007, 10:38 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7954273

This spells it out well.

AlexDown
07-10-2007, 10:42 PM
The AFC is just a higher quality of football. The games are much more fun to watch. Does that bother you or the fact that I just said that bother you?

TitleTown088
07-10-2007, 11:16 PM
The AFC is just a higher quality of football. The games are much more fun to watch. Does that bother you or the fact that I just said that bother you?

Well i just said I DON'T find the AFC more entertaining, so I am unable to see how that pertains to my question.

bearfan
07-10-2007, 11:26 PM
I would have to agree w/ you on this, AFC teams just dont interest me either. I mean you have teams like Miami, or the Bills, Jags, ect, just no interest there for me. Maybe its cause I am in the midwest, and really dont care about anything outside of the midwest, but I just cant really stand the AFC either.

BrownsTown
07-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Same reason I hate the Western Conference in the NBA. You're probably tired of hearing how much better they are.

themaninblack
07-11-2007, 12:49 AM
you are a naysayer.

kmartin575
07-11-2007, 01:40 AM

You ever heard of the Chiefs? It is our late owner, Lamar Hunt, who started the AFL to rival the NFL. It is Lamar Hunt who came up with the name "Super Bowl". The Chiefs went to 2 out of the first 4 super bowls and won one of them. The AFC Championship trophy is named after Lamar Hunt.

Not sure how you can say only NFC teams helped found the NFL when half of the NFL, the AFC, owes it's existence to Lamar Hunt.

LonghornsLegend
07-11-2007, 02:21 AM
maybe its because the AFC games on cbs always look old school, and out dated...and the NFC games on fox always look crisp and modern and new school....

at least thats the feel i get on sundays from both

bearsfan_51
07-11-2007, 03:58 AM
You ever heard of the Chiefs? It is our late owner, Lamar Hunt, who started the AFL to rival the NFL. It is Lamar Hunt who came up with the name "Super Bowl". The Chiefs went to 2 out of the first 4 super bowls and won one of them. The AFC Championship trophy is named after Lamar Hunt.

Not sure how you can say only NFC teams helped found the NFL when half of the NFL, the AFC, owes it's existence to Lamar Hunt.
Not sure if you're aware of this, but there was an NFL 50 years before there was a Superbowl.

Read a book.

tylerb929
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
maybe its because the AFC games on cbs always look old school, and out dated...and the NFC games on fox always look crisp and modern and new school....

Really? I think CBS has better coverage. I can't stand Fox, they always try to do these weird camera angles in the middle of the field and **** and it just doesn't work.

Oh well, I guess I just like football, I'll watch AFC or NFC, I could careless.

eacantdraft
07-11-2007, 08:01 AM
Could it be that the AFC kicks the NFC arse in almost every area. They got the better QB's, the more exciting offenses.

And the AFC has the more exciting cities. Yes I went there.

BrownsTown
07-11-2007, 08:16 AM

I thought about that too. I mean you could even include Dallas in that if you wanted. It really has a lot more classic teams. AFC has the Steelers, Browns, Jets, and that's it.

The Unseen
07-11-2007, 08:51 AM
Not sure if you're aware of this, but there was an NFL 50 years before there was a Superbowl.

Read a book.

America's Game is an excellent choice.

And if all else fails...*cough*Wikipedia*cough*

Splat
07-11-2007, 09:03 AM
I thought about that too. I mean you could even include Dallas in that if you wanted. It really has a lot more classic teams. AFC has the Steelers, Browns, Jets, and that's it.

The Chiefs and Raiders are classic teams as well the whole we have older teams makes us a better conference thing is a joke.

BrownsTown
07-11-2007, 10:07 AM
The Chiefs and Raiders are classic teams as well the whole we have older teams makes us a better conference thing is a joke.

This isn't a better conference, we're just brainstorming ideas why he doesn't like the AFC, and he is a Packer fan so it might be a possiblilty.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2007, 10:31 AM

I HATE watching games on Fox, no matter who the teams. I can't stand when Bengals games are on there.

I actually thought about that but then I realized how much I hated watching them on Fox so surely everyone else did too.

BrownsTown
07-11-2007, 10:32 AM
I HATE watching games on Fox, no matter who the teams. I can't stand when Bengals games are on there.

I actually thought about that but then I realized how much I hated watching them on Fox so surely everyone else did too.

Fox sucks. I hate Joe Buck (he does baseball games). He has like no emotion.

JK17
07-11-2007, 10:34 AM

I agree, I don't know what it is about Fox, but when I had to watch the Chargers on it last year, it was driving me crazy...I guess because I'm just used to CBS.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Fox sucks. I hate Joe Buck (he does baseball games). He has like no emotion.

Yeah not only do I hate their layout, I hate their announcers and I'm not the sort to get bothered by announcers that often.

A lot of it may just be that us AFC fans are so used to the CBS coverage but I like Sunday Football and Monday night layout so who knows.

The Unseen
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I actually like FOX's layout better. Joe Buck's okay, I don't hate him like some people do.

BrownsTown
07-11-2007, 11:29 AM
I actually like FOX's layout better. Joe Buck's okay, I don't hate him like some people do.

He never gets excited at all. I like announcers who get into the games, that's where memorable calls are made. "Down Goes Frazier!", "Flutie Did It!", stuff like that. I mean, he called the game where the Red Sox won the World Series and he sounded like he didn't care.

Dam8610
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I find the NFC less entertaining, did back when they were dominant too. It's probably because your team isn't there.

So is the hatred of Manning simply an irrational one, or is it perhaps because you fear the inevitable? ;)

neko4
07-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I hate FOX and CBS
CBS' cameras do something that i cant explain, to me it looks like they have tinted cameras or something. I love to watch games on NBC and ESPN

LonghornsLegend
07-11-2007, 11:49 AM
i just cant get into CBS cameras as much, they dont look the same as espn or fox games....it looks like the cameras are older they are using or something, seems like when i watch a game on fox its more up to date...or could be due to me watching majority cowboy games so much...

but ive been trying to switch over, i tried to catch as many titans games as i could since Vince started, and if they have some good AFC games on vs the NFC games ill def watch those regardless

Dam8610
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
He never gets excited at all. I like announcers who get into the games, that's where memorable calls are made. "Down Goes Frazier!", "Flutie Did It!", stuff like that. I mean, he called the game where the Red Sox won the World Series and he sounded like he didn't care.

No "DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES?! YES!" or "I DON'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!"?

kmartin575
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM

Read a book.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Nothing I said in my post went against that. The fact still stands that the most important game in today's NFL was named by the late Lamar Hunt, RIP. The AFC also owes it's existence to him. I guess you might have a reason to scorn him then. If it wasn't for the AFC being created perhaps there would have been no Indianapolis Colts to kick the Bears ass in the super bowl.

kmartin575
07-11-2007, 12:26 PM
I hate CBS because they spend so much time advertising all of their stupid shows. I could care less about those shows. I want to hear about football.

steelernation77
07-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Really? I think CBS has better coverage. I can't stand Fox, they always try to do these weird camera angles in the middle of the field and **** and it just doesn't work.

Oh well, I guess I just like football, I'll watch AFC or NFC, I could careless.

I agree with you 100%. Fox has terrible camera angles that make any kind of depth perception impossible. Many times, you can't tell the difference between a 2 yard run and a 5 yard run. Also, I don't know how anyone can say FOX looks sharper, maybe its just the NFC north games, but the games we get here always look terrible. That being said, I feel the same way the original poster does except about the NFC. There just seems to be a physical element lacking from most NFC teams. However, I will occasionally watch NFC north games, especially the Bears, because I feel like they could fit in well enough in the AFC.

SubNoize
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
i hate how fox has that bar across the top of the game, it bothers me a lot, i'd rather just have the box in the corner like cbs. also hate that fox pretty much is always showing the cardinals here in az and who the hell wants to watch them???

CARDIAC CAT 7
07-11-2007, 01:48 PM
I kinda like the NFC more than the AFC too. I think its because a majority of the AFC's best teams are Defensive teams while avout 3/4 of the NFC's teams are Offensive Teams.

21ST
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Well im really not interested in the AFC either, all their live games just look boring, the NFC just has more life but maybe its just fox

no love
07-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Yeah, I went there.

For now...

no love
07-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Could it be that the AFC kicks the NFC arse in almost every area. They got the better QB's, the more exciting offenses.

What does the AFC have on the NFC...

Houston <Dallas
Miami = New Orleans (pre-Katrina)
Boston < Chicago
San Diego < San Francisco
New York = Well we got that too
Tennessee <Atlanta

We win. I went there.

PalmerToCJ
07-11-2007, 08:36 PM
For now...

I'd say for the next 5 years plus.

The AFC is currently benefitting from Manning, Brady and Palmer just like the NFC benefited from Aikman, Favre and Young.

Dam8610
07-12-2007, 01:44 AM
I'd say for the next 5 years plus.

The AFC is currently benefitting from Manning, Brady and Palmer just like the NFC benefited from Aikman, Favre and Young.

Well...

Manning = Favre
Palmer = Young
Brady = Aikman

But yeah, you have a good point there.

DaBears9654
07-12-2007, 12:36 PM
What? The NFC champs are from the greatest city in the world! But then, I'm biased, having family in Illinois.

Outside of my confessed bias, of those I've been to, I've found NFC cities more interesting. Oakland doesn't have very much tourism-wise; Denver people can't drive; did my family & I even go through KC on the way to Branson, MO a few years ago? On the other hand, in the NFC, I loved Fisherman's Wharf in SF and Navy Pier in Chicago. So, to sum this up in an on-topic way, the NFC has more interesting cities, contrary to eacantdraft's claim.

Nitschke-Hawk
07-12-2007, 12:41 PM
My cousin is a Bears fan and I'm a Packers fan and we both stick to FOX games (NFC Games) for the most part. It's just part of growing up a fan of an NFC team and watching other NFC teams play. Us Packers, Bears, etc. fans watch the NFC so much, whether it's the opponent, which is usually an NFC team, or the game following it if it's double-header week.

neko4
07-12-2007, 12:46 PM
What? The NFC champs are from the greatest city in the world! But then, I'm biased, having family in Illinois.

Outside of my confessed bias, of those I've been to, I've found NFC cities more interesting. Oakland doesn't have very much tourism-wise; Denver people can't drive; did my family & I even go through KC on the way to Branson, MO a few years ago? On the other hand, in the NFC, I loved Fisherman's Wharf in SF and Navy Pier in Chicago. So, to sum this up in an on-topic way, the NFC has more interesting cities, contrary to eacantdraft's claim.

KC is for the most part boring
NY is great, thats a plus for both sides
I liked GB, but thats cuz im a packer fan
And I love going to DC
San Fran was pretty good

SubNoize
07-12-2007, 03:11 PM
What does the AFC have on the NFC...

Houston <Dallas
Miami = New Orleans (pre-Katrina)
Boston < Chicago
San Diego < San Francisco
New York = Well we got that too
Tennessee <Atlanta

We win. I went there.

SD is much more interesting than SF. The weather alone beats any city in the US, it's perect year round. Miami is also much more enjoyable than NO the other 11 months out of the year.

Badger_Fan
07-12-2007, 06:05 PM
I like the NFC a lot more because you have always have so many teams competing in for the wild card. In the AFC you have the superior teams that always make the playoffs and no one cares about the other ones.

BlindSite
07-12-2007, 06:21 PM

Its not really though, its just that the AFC's long period of sucktitude has led to them being able to draft a lot of players who're blossoming now and having had free cap space to sign good free agents for a number of years.

I garuntee you that in a few years it'll shift back and the NFC will be the superior conference.

dabears10
07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Will there be a time when they are even??

Paul
07-13-2007, 08:53 AM

I actually to have the same mentality. Have no Idea why though. I mean it's not like the NBA with East and West, where they are known have different styles of play(Run and Gun vs. Slowing it down), or the MLB(AL vs. NL) where there is a obvious difference in offensive numbers and the DH argument. Both leagues in NFL are relatively the same. Probably as somebody said the roots of your fanship.

Paul
07-13-2007, 09:01 AM
have you even been to ANY of those places? how, exactly, is dallas better than houston? have you been to new orleans recently to have any kind of vaguely educated opinion? ugh. if you don't travel, or haven't been to one of these cities, please don't bother opining about it.

also, DaBears9654: your assertaion that people in denver can't drive is interesting. you must have been here during the winter or the summer when the entire states of California and Texas drive in with cars they don't know how to handle in conditions they're incapable of driving in. the vast majority of denverites (year round) are far better bad weather drivers than anywhere else i've been and are usually good regular drivers. far better than nearly any east/west coast city.

I was born and raised in Dallas, so maybe it's just homegrown thing, but it does get dull around here. Don't get me wrong I would love to live here all my life, raise my famlily here and all that but it's far from being a vacation spot. Dallas does have a great night life, a there's lot of things to do, but I'm just not into it. I've been to the Houston/Galveston area a lot and I enjoyed it there, aside from burning the crap out of my eyes while swimming, thanks to the water over there. But maybe I just enjoyed it there because it's a new place for me.

drowe
07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
i'm the opposite of the NFC fans here. I'm a fan of the Packers in the NFC, but that has caused me to hate other NFC teams. obviously division rivals piss me off, as do teams that the Packers compete against for playoff position.

so, as far as teams i like outside of the Packers, it's mostly AFC teams that stay outa the Pack's way except for once every 4 years.