PDA

View Full Version : Rey Maualuga vs. James Lauranitis(sp?)

elway777
07-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Rey Maualuga vs. James Lauranitis(sp?)

I find them very similiar in alot of ways. Too very aggressive linebackers around 6-3 250 who will be a keystone for their respected teams this year. I personally have not seen enough of James to make a desicion, so i'll ask you who you think is the better player.

...Unfortunatley due to the amount of Big Ten fans on here this could get ugly.

Michigan
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
Maualuga, but only cause he has better physical tools. Both their instincts suck.

elway777
07-10-2007, 09:44 PM
Maualuga, but only cause he has better physical tools. Both their instincts suck.

Instincts? Probably the best trait for the both.
Both do get caught out of position though.

LB51
07-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Rey

Better physical tools
i think James is overrated due to the picks from last yr

Mr. Stiller
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Instincts? Probably the best trait for the both.
Both do get caught out of position though.

Laurainitis..

If your looking for sheer size/power.. Maualaga...

Laurainitis.. has a little trouble getting of blocks.. but he's much more instinctive.

When it was an important game... USC Played Oscar Lua because his instincts and his quick thinking put him into position. If they were ahead or playing an inferior opponent... Maualaga would be out there cracking skulls.

for a 3-4 team either would be a great pickup. Though I think Laurainitis has the leadership ability.... while Maualaga just seems to be a head hunter.

elway777
07-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Oscar Lua replaced Rey on running downs/short yard conversions. Not because of his instincts, but because Lua was one of the best run stoppers in the NCAA. And from your leadership and 3-4 ordeal I seriously have to question how much you know about Reys game.

keylime_5
07-10-2007, 10:32 PM
"Lil' Animal" needs to work on coming off his blocks. He is good against the run and one of the best in the country against the pass as a MLB. I think James might be a higher draft pick than Rey b/c of his fluidity and the fact that he is fast enough and good enough in coverage to play OLB. Just becaues of the sheer fact that JL made the most plays and was/is the leader of the Buckeye defense, he is the top LB of the two.

But I really like Rey. He's a hard hard hitter and is good in run defense. He'll be a really really good pro. But b/c Rey is as hard of a hitter as Brian Urlacher and AJ Hawk are he's right there neck and neck with JL.

elway777
07-10-2007, 10:41 PM
You realize Rey is probably faster then James right?

Vikes99ej
07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
I'll take Rey, please.

Sniper
07-10-2007, 11:01 PM
Rey. I like Laurinaitis though I feel he may be a little overrated. Rey just hits like a tank and seems to play faster than James. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one.

moc182
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
You of all people should know it's not even close.

elway777
07-10-2007, 11:13 PM
You of all people should know it's not even close.

I was trying to wake up the big 10 homers. :p

MNRunLeft
07-10-2007, 11:23 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NTct4-vvhiQ&mode=related&search=

SuperKevin
07-10-2007, 11:53 PM
The main reason i would go with Laurinaitis over Rey is the fact that Laurinaitis reminds me of AJ Hawk and Paul Poz in the fact that they would excel in any Lb spot, in any system. Rey seems to be strictly a MLB. Not that that's a bad thing, I just prefer the flexibility of being able to play Laurinaitis inside or outside

Zyro_1014
07-11-2007, 12:43 AM
ill take rey rey thanks, great size and speed, plus the hit on Cowen says it all lol.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-11-2007, 01:33 AM
I think that Rey is more of a disruptor and is certainly the more explosive athlete, but I'm reserving judgment on Laurinaitis. From what I saw last year, a lot of those turnovers kinda fell into his hands, and while he was certainly in a fortuitous position for that the happen, I'm not sure he can repeat. He doesn't really work through traffic all that well, which is going to be a pretty big problem if he plays inside at the next level.

Rey has his problems, but if I had to pick which one projects better to the pros, it would be Maualuga, no question.

bored of education
07-11-2007, 07:31 AM
People under rate james nowadays. He was a benefactor of some INTs FFs and Frs. But he is a smart kid out there, aggressive (yes a litle weak in the upper body). Has quickness and footbal intelligence. I think if he get stronger he could be a Vrableesque linebacker that can play inside or out in a 3-4

keylime_5
07-11-2007, 11:15 AM
But JL has this in his blood :)

http://www.autographedtoyou.com/CelebPics/joe_Laurinaitis1.jpg

It's always good to get Legion of Doom on Michigan for an Ohio State Linebacker.

princefielder28
07-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Rey b/c I hate Ohio State

Vikes99ej
07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I believe Rey Maualuga does have some character concerns so that may drop him a little bit.

Modano
07-11-2007, 12:28 PM
And who do you think is the best LB between Rivers and Maualuga?

elway777
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM

Rey has the upside to be twice what Rivers is.

MNRunLeft
07-11-2007, 05:38 PM

I like Rivers as a Cover 2 LB, but Rey's got the potential to be a real game chaanger in the middle.

HoopsDemon12
07-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Man rey will be scary at the next level... only reason his productioni isnt eye popping is because he plays on a defence with like 8 possible all americans and all three linebackers will probably be first round picks

-black
07-11-2007, 05:58 PM
neither LB are alike at all IMO.....but i'd prolly take Rey

moc182
07-11-2007, 06:19 PM
Damn, I thought Rey was held in higher acclaim by the masses, I think he's one of the ten best players in the country.

elway777
07-11-2007, 06:29 PM
Damn, I thought Rey was held in higher acclaim by the masses, I think he's one of the ten best players in the country.

Maybe it's east coast bias, IDK. I agree with you though, beacuse Rey is a once in every 5 years type of linebacker.

HoopsDemon12
07-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe it's east coast bias, IDK. I agree with you though, beacuse Rey is a once in every 5 years type of linebacker.

im not even gonan lie... i heard of him last year... and how some people thought he shouldnt have started.. i didnt know he was this good.. i didnt really watch any SC games

Paranoidmoonduck
07-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Rey has the upside to be twice what Rivers is.

This is a false statement.

Rey has potential and a lot of it, but there were times last year where Rivers looked like a more disciplined version of Ernie Sims. As of right now I think Rivers is head and shoulders above the other USC linebackers.

keylime_5
07-11-2007, 08:20 PM
Well both are great MLBs for great defenses, so I don't see how there's a clear cut one better than the other. Even Kiper says it's really close. Both are very good against the run, but JL has made more big plays, especially in the pass game. Not gonna argue either way.

elway777
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Rey has potential and a lot of it, but there were times last year where Rivers looked like a more disciplined version of Ernie Sims. As of right now I think Rivers is head and shoulders above the other USC linebackers.

I've watched Rivers on about every play for the last 4 years and im not seeing the Ernie Sims comparison. He's quick but not as aggressive and instinctive as Sims. Rey on the other hand has Ray Lewis type potential.

Man_Of_Steel
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Laurenitis for the simple fact that I want to buy the road warriors shoulderpads in black & gold.

Raiderz4Life
07-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Rey...he's an amazing athlete. Will be a great player.....only knock i got on him is his discipline. He didnt always seem disciplined when i saw him play last year.

gstock05
07-12-2007, 01:16 AM
James is better. No question about it. Call me a homer. I'll state my case.

First off, stop giving the measurables arguement.

James is 6'3 245-250 and runs a 4.5 forty. I dont know about Rey, but thats at the very LEAST close to what Rey probably does, and in reality, it's probably better.

Second off, James is about 1,000,000 times better in coverage as opposed to Rey.

Third, James is probably better at blitzing than rey as he was an absolute monster on blitz packages (with at least 4 sacks last year) in a non-blitzing scheme.

Fourth, James wasn't elite at getting off blocks, but he's better than you can give him credit for. He was only a sophomore, but moreso, he played in a scheme in which he played 7 yards off the line, dropped into zone coverage, then reacted. This is a scheme that really makes it tough to get off blocks from linemen coming downfield as you're not attacking the line as much as trying to react to the runningback.

Rey is a good player, but he's overhyped because of his ability to be a big hitter. In the NFL, hitting hard doesn't matter. Making tackles, covering, and not letting backs get 10 yards downfield is more important.

Rey isn't even the best player on his own team. Reminds me of Ahmad Brooks a few years back. Everyone liked him initially more than Aj Hawk. Same situation, although I think he'll end up better than Ahmad.

Modano
07-12-2007, 01:57 AM

That's why I've asked that question. I've not seen many USC games last year, actually I've seen only two of them, one being the bowl game. In these games, Rivers caught my attention more then Maualuga. I've wacthed these game looking for Maualuga because people were very high on him, but the player that caught my attention and that was a lot more around the action was Rivers. But the fact that I've seen only two games doesn't allow me to judge who is the better LB between the two...

Paranoidmoonduck
07-12-2007, 03:34 AM
I like Maualuga's potential as much as anyone, but I think some of you are overrating him severely. This kid is not ready to play NFL football yet. He over pursues, often drastically, and manages to lodge himself into traffic more than he should. He's a monster one-on-one to block, but outside of the occasional amazing play, he was neutralized awfully easily for a player of his caliber.

You want to compare sophomore Ahmad Brook and sophomore Rey Maualuga. There is no comparison, Brooks was head and shoulder above him. Hell, sophomore Brooks was better than junior AJ Hawk.

draftguru151
07-12-2007, 09:26 AM
I like Maualuga's potential as much as anyone, but I think some of you are overrating him severely. This kid is not ready to play NFL football yet. He over pursues, often drastically, and manages to lodge himself into traffic more than he should. He's a monster one-on-one to block, but outside of the occasional amazing play, he was neutralized awfully easily for a player of his caliber.

You want to compare sophomore Ahmad Brook and sophomore Rey Maualuga. There is no comparison, Brooks was head and shoulder above him. Hell, sophomore Brooks was better than junior AJ Hawk.

He certainly isn't NFL ready but his NFL potential is ridiculous high. He definitely has to work on his game but he's got the tools to dominant if he can learn to play more under control.

Also, it's not fair to compair him to sophomore Brooks, no one is sophomore Brooks.

Vikes99ej
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
James is better. No question about it. Call me a homer. I'll state my case.

First off, stop giving the measurables arguement.

James is 6'3 245-250 and runs a 4.5 forty. I dont know about Rey, but thats at the very LEAST close to what Rey probably does, and in reality, it's probably better.

Second off, James is about 1,000,000 times better in coverage as opposed to Rey.

Third, James is probably better at blitzing than rey as he was an absolute monster on blitz packages (with at least 4 sacks last year) in a non-blitzing scheme.

Fourth, James wasn't elite at getting off blocks, but he's better than you can give him credit for. He was only a sophomore, but moreso, he played in a scheme in which he played 7 yards off the line, dropped into zone coverage, then reacted. This is a scheme that really makes it tough to get off blocks from linemen coming downfield as you're not attacking the line as much as trying to react to the runningback.

Rey is a good player, but he's overhyped because of his ability to be a big hitter. In the NFL, hitting hard doesn't matter. Making tackles, covering, and not letting backs get 10 yards downfield is more important.

Rey isn't even the best player on his own team. Reminds me of Ahmad Brooks a few years back. Everyone liked him initially more than Aj Hawk. Same situation, although I think he'll end up better than Ahmad.

You must be an OSU fan, so I'm going to ignore this.

DLS42
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Rey. I have seen enough Pac 10 football that if you run down the sideline on rey's side, you might leave the field on a strecher.

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
It's clearly Rey.

BTW next year's linebackers are gonna be SICK.

Rivers, Rey, Animal, Connor, etc.

LB51
07-12-2007, 03:13 PM
It's clearly Rey.

thats if JL n REy come out and don't forget Hall and Adibi(although i dont get all the adibi hype)

YAYareaRB
07-12-2007, 03:28 PM
thats if JL n REy come out and don't forget Hall and Adibi(although i dont get all the adibi hype)

Adibi is one of the most athletically gifted LBs in the draft. Solid instincts. What don't you get about the Adibi hype?

I think Rey is better. The fact that I'm a West Coast homer should not be taken into account. I see Rey being more fluid and plays faster. Not to mention his hitting ability is equal to that of a truck. He fits in any other LB position better than Lil Animal. I like em both though. Both are good and are sure to continue in the NFL.

gstock05
07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
You must be an OSU fan, so I'm going to ignore this.

Ignore what you want. But just because I'm an OSU fan doesn't mean I'm that biased. I'm telling you what I know, which is far more than most non-osu fans, and even many other osu fans know.

BTW, I like Connor a lot, but I think the best 2 linebackers in the big10 are Laurinaitis, and J Lehman. That guy is a beast. He's going to rocket up draft boards towards the end of the season.

Furthermore, watch out for Larry Grant to have a breakout season, and not only become a productive player, but a star linebacker at OSU. My only two concerns about the OSU defense is Marcus freeman, and how the defensive tackles produce. This defense WILL be as good as 2005. Book it.

gstock05
07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Adibi is one of the most athletically gifted LBs in the draft. Solid instincts. What don't you get about the Adibi hype?

I think Rey is better. The fact that I'm a West Coast homer should not be taken into account. I see Rey being more fluid and plays faster. Not to mention his hitting ability is equal to that of a truck. He fits in any other LB position better than Lil Animal. I like em both though. Both are good and are sure to continue in the NFL.

I actually completely disagree. Rey is strictly a MLB. He might be able to play olb in blitzing situations, but I wouldn't put him in a coverage, or pursuit position on the outside. The only thing that makes Rey as versatile as James is that he's a good fit for a 3-4 defense because of his size and stopping power.

James can, and has played all three positions of linebacker at OSU. He started the 2005 Michigan game as an outside linebacker after Bobby Carpenter was injured.

I'll admit I don't know enough about Adibi to form an opinion, but i'll try to watch him this year.

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 04:48 PM
I think Rey playing the Randall Godfrey/Tedy Bruschi "run cleanup" inside linebacker in a 3-4 would be pretty freaking scary.

LB51
07-12-2007, 07:11 PM

i don;t get the hype becuz he isn't even the best LB on his team, his size is extremely averege and while is is very good in coverage and is space he isn't good in traffic... he gets talked about as 1 of the best LBs in the draft but i don't think he is on the Rivers, Connor level of prospect i would say late 1 early second, he reminds me of a poor mans Derrick johnson

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 08:29 PM
It's clearly Rey.

I think Laurinaitis and Rey stay in school for 4 years before they hit the league. I expect Rivers and Connor to go RD1 in 2008, JL and RM to go RD1 in 2009.

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 08:32 PM
gstock does make good points. Anyone can make a case for either one, but I don't think either is CLEARLY any better than the other at this point. Rey had the hype out of high school and was a 5star as opposed to Jim being a 3 star no name (ala AJ Hawk), but JL definitely had a better year between the two in 2006. If Laurinaitis comes off blocks like Carpenter and Hawk did this upcoming season then JL has probably jumped ahead of Rey considerably.

But no way is it as lopsided as the poll suggests. This board has a lot of big ten fans, but only the OSU fans out of that bunch like OSU players really. Probably the reason why Ginn and JL don't get as much love from the polls.

elway777
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Rey could also play OLB. Hell he played some last year.

Gstock your cracking me up though. Please change all our minds!

BamaFalcon59
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
i don;t get the hype becuz he isn't even the best LB on his team, his size is extremely averege and while is is very good in coverage and is space he isn't good in traffic... he gets talked about as 1 of the best LBs in the draft but i don't think he is on the Rivers, Connor level of prospect i would say late 1 early second, he reminds me of a poor mans Derrick johnson

Well, it's hard to be the best LB on your team when you teammate is also a highly regarded pro prospect. Adibi has 3 inches on Ernie Simms, and he went 11. He wracked up almost 80 tackles, 3 sacks, and 3 picks last year. I don't think he is a top 15 prospect at the moment, but with his athletic ability and solid production, he could easily go late round 1 like you said. If he puts on 5-10 pounds and continues his production and has a good combine, he could go very high.

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Laurinaitis was actually the 2nd string SLB in 2005 and played all the Michigan and Notre Dame games that year. I wouldn't expect any pro team to bring in Rey as anything but a MLB. James might conceivably play SLB in the pros, but I think mike is much more realistic.

A lot of people on the poll seem to overlooking the fact that JL is way ahead of Rey in terms of pass coverage for a LB. That's a pretty important trait don't ya think?

elway777
07-12-2007, 10:11 PM
Rey is not bad in pass coverage, if that's what your trying to indicate. :/

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 10:30 PM
JL is great in pass coverage. We probably wouldn't have had such a good ppg defense last year if it weren't for Freeman and Laurinaitis playing amazing in pass coverage all year. Never said anything bad about Rey in this whole thread.

elway777
07-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Too slow to keep up with Floridas speed... :p

gstock05
07-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Too slow to keep up with Floridas speed... :p

Ass. :p

Argueing stuff like this preseason really is all opinion, and for the most part, moot. Argueing after a season is much more effective. I dont think James will stay for his senior season. Not sure about Rey, but a lot of good OSU players bolt after their junior years.

bored of education
07-13-2007, 02:29 PM
As I said James reminds me of a Vrableesque LB.

HoopsDemon12
07-13-2007, 02:58 PM
As I said James reminds me of a Vrableesque LB.

only faster.... he can do it all... i think we can both agree they are both great linebackers... we'll just have to wait to see how they both do during the season

keylime_5
07-13-2007, 04:04 PM
Ass. :p

Argueing stuff like this preseason really is all opinion, and for the most part, moot. Argueing after a season is much more effective. I dont think James will stay for his senior season. Not sure about Rey, but a lot of good OSU players bolt after their junior years.

Wilhelm, Hawk and Carpenter all stayed 4 years. I don't see why JL wouldn't. Linebackers don't go pro early as often as WRs/RBs/DBs do.