PDA

View Full Version : College Majors/Minors

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone, I'm around here a decent amount around draft time and the few months leading up to it. I live in Philly, I'm going into my Senior year of HS right now, and I'm looking at a couple schools. I visited Ohio University and Ohio State yesterday and today. I like Ohio U a lot, but I really loved Ohio State. I'll also probably check out some NYC schools such as Fordham and St. John's. I bring this all up here because I'm an aspiring sports writer or scout. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to go about getting into these businesses is. I'm just assuming Journalism/Communications. However, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any college recommendations from my list, any advice, or any information on college majors/minors needed to get a job in my desired field eventually. Thank you and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

kwilk103
07-12-2007, 12:46 AM
im majoring in journalism--news/editorial

thats the way to go for newpapers/magazines/etc

themaninblack
07-12-2007, 12:50 AM
im double majoring history and psychology i think.

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 12:50 AM
im majoring in journalism--news/editorial

thats the way to go for newpapers/magazines/etc

I'm thinking magazine, or online journalism would be the way to go for Sports Writing, put out a few articles every week instead of being forced to put out an article or two a day. It just seems like you're able to put more thought and research into your work that way and not come across as such an idiot.

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 01:00 AM
What schools are you guys at?

kwilk103
07-12-2007, 01:35 AM
wvu--ill be a soph; just switched to journalism and am taking journ 101 online

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
wvu--ill be a soph; just switched to journalism and am taking journ 101 online

You enjoying that? Or just WVU in general?

kwilk103
07-12-2007, 01:54 AM
i like wvu a lot--parents went there

the online class is soooo easy; fast paced---400-500 pg paper due on tues, thurs, sat; but the papers are easy---the last one was writing about an upcoming/recently released movie and the ad tie ins--toys, games, dvds, etc (wrote about the simpsons)

write 2 posts on the discussion board every tues, thurs, sat---short paragraph, your opinion on the question--easy

online tests--6 of them 20 questions-20 min to take; would have got a 20 out of 20 but there was 5 min left and i had 5 to answer and my internet went out and only got a 15

but its a real easy A

Hines
07-12-2007, 05:25 AM
when i go to college or cc for now anyways, imma major in sports journalism,or just journalism all together

Caddy
07-12-2007, 06:03 AM
when i go to college or cc for now anyways, imma major in sports journalism,or just journalism all together

Might want to work on that grammar. :rolleyes:

Moses
07-12-2007, 06:23 AM
Scout doesn't require a degree. It's one of those positions that you need to work up to through working in the business.

If you want to be a journalist, obviously journalism would be a good place to start. That said, you could graduate with a degree in engineering and still become a journalist. Take what you're interested in and a career will follow.

simms2clayton
07-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Hey everyone, I'm around here a decent amount around draft time and the few months leading up to it. I live in Philly, I'm going into my Senior year of HS right now, and I'm looking at a couple schools. I visited Ohio University and Ohio State yesterday and today. I like Ohio U a lot, but I really loved Ohio State. I'll also probably check out some NYC schools such as Fordham and St. John's. I bring this all up here because I'm an aspiring sports writer or scout. I'm not entirely sure what the best way to go about getting into these businesses is. I'm just assuming Journalism/Communications. However, I decided I'd post here to see if anyone had any college recommendations from my list, any advice, or any information on college majors/minors needed to get a job in my desired field eventually. Thank you and I hope to hear from you guys soon.

I used to be a Print Journalism-Sports major but I changed to Secondary Math-Edu.

The reason i left JOU was because it wasn't worth the lousy pay and you really have to work your *** off to get an entry level job. Not worth it.With teaching I will have a decent starting salary and imo good job secruity. They are really looking for HS math teachers...high demand. At my orientation, I think every student was a social studies major.

But anyways, I think I have the writing talent/sports knowledge to have been an above average sports writer but I got sick of writing the same old stories with teh same old quotes.

Go and read a bunch of articles on espn.com. The only quotes you get are cliches and so every article becomes cliche. No knock on espn writers, its just how it is. Nearly every article is cliche and there is nothing you can do about it. Long hours, you make like $10/hour starting out (and for the next 5 years at least)...you better have fun or you are going to start selling insurance.\

I am at U of Kentucky btw.

Mr. Stiller
07-12-2007, 09:52 AM
I used to be a Print Journalism-Sports major but I changed to Secondary Math-Edu.

The reason i left JOU was because it wasn't worth the lousy pay and you really have to work your *** off to get an entry level job. Not worth it.With teaching I will have a decent starting salary and imo good job secruity. They are really looking for HS math teachers...high demand. At my orientation, I think every student was a social studies major.

But anyways, I think I have the writing talent/sports knowledge to have been an above average sports writer but I got sick of writing the same old stories with teh same old quotes.

Go and read a bunch of articles on espn.com. The only quotes you get are cliches and so every article becomes cliche. No knock on espn writers, its just how it is. Nearly every article is cliche and there is nothing you can do about it. Long hours, you make like $10/hour starting out (and for the next 5 years at least)...you better have fun or you are going to start selling insurance.\

I am at U of Kentucky btw.

If you can, get a minor in computer Programming. It'll get you a job way easier.. If you can teach math and intro Programming classes you'll be more valuable, likely get a higher starting pay. And computer programming isn't that difficult (At least the high school stuff).

I'm a Computer Science Major at Pittsburgh-Johnstown U. It's hard to explain but I'm 1/2 Sophmore and 1/2 Junior.

I'm taking Classes at the Community college over summer so I don't have to take BS classes at Pitt, just computer classes.

Not trying to discourage you, but with the amount of Athletes becoming announcers and writers, you may be better off doing something else.

My g/f just switched from Journalism-Magazine writing to Secondary Education - English. partly because of the department (Or lack there of) and secondly, like someone said earlier.. better job security.

princefielder28
07-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm going to Minnesota for journalism and Communications

fischbowl
07-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Im leaning towards St Josephs for food marketing.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:23 AM

this isnt how i normally write i hope you know..im a hella good writer...but its kool i guess

Grizzlegom
07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Penn State
Major - Information Sciences and Technology
Minor - Statistics

Moses
07-12-2007, 11:43 AM
this isnt how i normally write i hope you know..im a hella good writer...but its kool i guess

Please indulge us.

Hines
07-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Please indulge us.

what do you mean

Brent
07-12-2007, 12:04 PM
Texas A&M
Major: English (Rhetoric track)
Minor: None (they are not worth it)

Nitschke-Hawk
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
I plan on being a sports writer and I'm starting junior college in August. But I don't like what I'm reading here. 400-500 page papers 3 times a week? That makes no sense. A daily sports article is like 3 pages tops these days. And supposedly super hard to get into the business. I guess I'll do the college thing to get my associates then start my own website or something. Sounds absurd. Unless of course I ace whatever I'm in and get complements like crazy on my writing ability.

'cuse-213
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM

What didnt you understand? he got his point across.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM

I go to tOSU right now and I work in Housing in a freshman residence hall, so if you have any questions about the school or anything, feel free to PM me.

For Sports Writing, It's be good to major in journalism and minor in Sports Management, or vice versa. Def. look into it as OSU has a great Sports Management program. If you really want to be a scout, I suggest majoring in Sports Management and if you get lucky, you can be on the staff for the Buckeyes football team. An old coworker of mine did it last year. Each week, he'd break down specific tape for each opponent (for instance, he did Iowa's D-line pass rush that week). He'd work with position coaches and all of that. Very very cool, basically a grad. assistant, but as an undergrad.

bsaza2358
07-12-2007, 01:18 PM
One of the better sports management programs in the country is UMass. One of the guys I know is entering his freshman year in August, and it's an extremely competitive program. I attended GW, and there is a sports management program within the tourism management division of the business school. It's not the best program, but it is solid.

buckeyes12
07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
University of Rhode Island '11
Kinesiology

kwilk103
07-12-2007, 01:34 PM
I plan on being a sports writer and I'm starting junior college in August. But I don't like what I'm reading here. 400-500 page papers 3 times a week? That makes no sense. A daily sports article is like 3 pages tops these days. And supposedly super hard to get into the business. I guess I'll do the college thing to get my associates then start my own website or something. Sounds absurd. Unless of course I ace whatever I'm in and get complements like crazy on my writing ability.

its summer school; its easier than it would be in the fall; plus its a 101 class

MaxV
07-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm an Electrical Engineer major.

fischbowl
07-12-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm an Electrical Engineer major.

Max, where do you go?

My mom wants me to look at schools in the NYC area and basically any metropolitan area. We are in town and visited St. Johns yesterday.

MaxV
07-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Max, where do you go?

My mom wants me to look at schools in the NYC area and basically any metropolitan area. We are in town and visited St. Johns yesterday.

I go to City College.

Moses
07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
what do you mean

Give us an example? Perhaps post something you've written?

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 04:18 PM
I go to tOSU right now and I work in Housing in a freshman residence hall, so if you have any questions about the school or anything, feel free to PM me.

For Sports Writing, It's be good to major in journalism and minor in Sports Management, or vice versa. Def. look into it as OSU has a great Sports Management program. If you really want to be a scout, I suggest majoring in Sports Management and if you get lucky, you can be on the staff for the Buckeyes football team. An old coworker of mine did it last year. Each week, he'd break down specific tape for each opponent (for instance, he did Iowa's D-line pass rush that week). He'd work with position coaches and all of that. Very very cool, basically a grad. assistant, but as an undergrad.

Ahh which residence hall are you working at? I got the chance to see a couple while I was there.

That's a good deal. I didn't think they even had a Sports Management program, it's not listed online. I loved my tour up there a couple days ago, even though it was raining, then managed to find my way into the Horseshoe yesterday which was amazing. I figure even if it's not working out in my desired major, OSU has enough that I'll find something I really enjoy.

Thanks for the information.

ThePudge
07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Max, where do you go?

How was St. John's? I am planning to finalize my visits with that and Fordham, possibly Syracuse.

You said you wanted to go to St. Joe's? My brother will be a freshman there this coming year, he loves the school and he's pretty excited for that.

fischbowl
07-13-2007, 03:57 PM
How was St. John's? I am planning to finalize my visits with that and Fordham, possibly Syracuse.

You said you wanted to go to St. Joe's? My brother will be a freshman there this coming year, he loves the school and he's pretty excited for that.

St. Johns was ok. The dorms werent as nice as I expected but the grounds were good and the campus seemed welcoming. It seemed as if there was a lot to do there for a Catholic school. The admissions counselor was very nice and so was the tour director. They had a lot of majors to choose from. It was the best I visited so far.

What is your brother's major going to be?

I also am going to visit Syracuse sometime soon.

Shane P. Hallam
07-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Ahh which residence hall are you working at? I got the chance to see a couple while I was there.

That's a good deal. I didn't think they even had a Sports Management program, it's not listed online. I loved my tour up there a couple days ago, even though it was raining, then managed to find my way into the Horseshoe yesterday which was amazing. I figure even if it's not working out in my desired major, OSU has enough that I'll find something I really enjoy.

Thanks for the information.

Replied to your PM. It may be called something else, but it def. is similar to sports management.

ncst8fan83
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
im double majoring history and psychology i think.

you might want to get that straight before you get too far into school. :)

And 400-500 page papers 3 times a week? Me thinks someone is stretching the truth a wee bit.

Vikes99ej
07-13-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm going to Minnesota State University in Mankato to major in Sports Management. Not sure about the minor, yet.

The Dynasty
07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Right now ill be going to Community college to get the required classes out of the way so i can focus on my major at a different college. Right now my feeling is ill be going to college for Accounting/Business Managment or just Banking. Ive also looked at Sports Marketing but not many schools around here has it.

villagewarrior
07-14-2007, 01:10 PM
As far as good schools with journalism reputations, the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri are pretty well respected in those fields. I'm not sure, but I think Syracuse is as well, and may be a little closer to home.

I'm an English major though, English degrees can lead you in pretty much any direction you want to take it.

kwilk103
07-14-2007, 01:32 PM
you might want to get that straight before you get too far into school. :)

And 400-500 page papers 3 times a week? Me thinks someone is stretching the truth a wee bit.

nope, its a 6 wk course so it moves fast; papers due every tues, thurs, sat at 11:55 pm

jbeans187
07-14-2007, 03:09 PM
As far as good schools with journalism reputations, the University of Kansas and the University of Missouri are pretty well respected in those fields. I'm not sure, but I think Syracuse is as well, and may be a little closer to home.

I'm an English major though, English degrees can lead you in pretty much any direction you want to take it.

Mizzou is were John Anderson and the guy that won dream job went, an example as to why the journalism school is top notch. I go there for Secondary Education - Social Studies

draftguru151
07-14-2007, 03:11 PM
400-500 pages? That's ridiculous.

JT Jag
07-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Majoring in Poly Sci

Minoring in Communications

Liberal Arts for teh win!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-14-2007, 03:21 PM

Believe me, you don't want to be a scout. It may seem fun, but the pay is bad, the hours are worse and you have to keep moving from place to place.

GB12
07-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm going to Minnesota State University in Mankato to major in Sports Management. Not sure about the minor, yet.

And what do you plan on doing with that Sports Management degree?

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 05:06 PM
400-500 pages? That's ridiculous.

I'm thinking he means 400-500 word papers...........

sweetness34
07-14-2007, 05:09 PM
Heading to Columbia College in a year up in Chicago. Majoring in Editing and Minoring in probably directing or writing.

Brent
07-14-2007, 05:12 PM
400-500 page papers 3 times a week?
What the crap are you talking about? Where did you hear that? I'd be surprised if you write even one paper longer than 15 pages. I'm an senior English major and the longest paper I have ever had to write was 6 pages.

'cuse-213
07-14-2007, 05:24 PM
What the crap are you talking about? Where did you hear that? I'd be surprised if you write even one paper longer than 15 pages. I'm an senior English major and the longest paper I have ever had to write was 6 pages.

Try reading.. ohh about... give or take 2 posts above yours.

pierce2walker
07-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Ill be going to UC San Diego next year...Im undeclared right now, exploring a couple of different things...right now Im leaning towards a business/economics major with either a double major or a minor in Marketing (communications)...Im also looking at pre med, but right now Ill just get my GEs out of the way and figure out what stuff I like then go from there.

kwilk103
07-14-2007, 06:28 PM

oops meant words; so thats like 2-3 pages

Brent
07-14-2007, 07:44 PM
oops meant words; so thats like 2-3 pages
Oh, well then that's pretty standard. Trust me, that's not as hard as you would think.

Moses
07-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Oh, well then that's pretty standard. Trust me, that's not as hard as you would think.

Really depends on the topic. I've spent weeks writing a 2-3 page report/essay before.

Brent
07-14-2007, 07:55 PM
Really depends on the topic. I've spent weeks writing a 2-3 page report/essay before.
I usually have that much time for the papers I am assigned in my classes. I suppose I just don't use the whole length of time but it doesn't seem to matter because I still make A's & B's. To each their own, I guess.

By the way, Moses, I like your sig. I couldn't agree more.

kwilk103
07-14-2007, 08:32 PM

i never said it was hard; its sooo easy

Vikes99ej
07-15-2007, 01:24 PM

Same here. I have the easiest time with History papers.

skarocksoi
07-15-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm Electrical Engineering at Penn State

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 04:38 PM
I'm Electrical Engineering at Penn State

I heard there's big demand for Electrical Engineers