PDA

View Full Version : Ravens take Gaither

akvikefan89
07-12-2007, 01:00 PM
POSTED 1:59 p.m. EDT, July 12, 2007
RAVENS GATHER GAITHER
A league source tell us that the Baltimore Ravens have selected former Maryland tackle Jared Gaither in round five of the supplemental draft.
No other players are expected to be selected.

ProFootballTalk.com

ccB
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Woooooooooooooeffinhoooooooooo!

draftguru151
07-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Nice pick up, makes a lot of sense.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-12-2007, 01:02 PM
YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS

eacantdraft
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
He went right around where I and the other non homers thought he would go. 4th round or later.

It's laughable that some people thought he would go in the 2nd round.

ccB
07-12-2007, 01:10 PM
He went right around where I and the other non homers thought he would go. 4th round or later.

Hmmm dont think ive seen many of these homers you speak of. In fact I didnt know there was any Terps fans on NFLDC at all besides myself and some of the ravens guys. Whats laughable is the fact that you feel all high and mighty because you predicted something 90% of the people I talk to also predicted.

Scout49
07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
no surprise.

neko4
07-12-2007, 01:13 PM
Hmmm dont think ive seen many of these homers you speak of. In fact I didnt know there was any Terps fans on NFLDC at all besides myself and some of the ravens guys. Whats laughable is the fact that you feel all high and mighty because you predicted something 90% of the people I talk to also predicted.

me, but i didnt really care where he went

SeanTaylorRIP
07-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Great pickup on this guy, learning from JO should help immensely.

HEISMANHERSCHEL
07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
That is good use of a fifth round pick, imo.

Today, the Ravens and Chargers got better. :(

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 01:43 PM
That is good use of a fifth round pick, imo.

Today, the Ravens and Chargers got better. :(

I wouldn't say that about the Chargers. Oliver is pretty overrated IMO.

LarryJohnson27
07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't say that about the Chargers. Oliver is pretty overrated IMO.

Whether you feel he is overratted or not, he still had a shot at the first round next year and the Chargers got him for a 4th.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Whether you feel he is overratted or not, he still had a shot at the first round next year and the Chargers got him for a 4th.

Any player this year has a shot at going in the 1st round.

LarryJohnson27
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Any player this year has a shot at going in the 1st round.

Oliver actually had a realistic shot.

Larry
07-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Some say Gaither has a very poor work ethic, I hope that's not the case with a guy his talent.

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 02:04 PM

pwned.

The Chargers DID get better today, silly packer fan. More depth and potential in the secondary isn't exactly a bad thing.

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 02:30 PM
pwned.

The Chargers DID get better today, silly packer fan. More depth and potential in the secondary isn't exactly a bad thing.

Sure, if you say so. Too slow to play CB and too small to play safety. Enjoy your waste of a 4th round pick.

KCJ58
07-12-2007, 02:33 PM
im not suprised that the Ravens took him

Brent
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Probably wouldn't have happened had the Niners not swooped in and got Staley.

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Sure, if you say so. Too slow to play CB and too small to play safety. Enjoy your waste of a 4th round pick.

Wow, snippiness from a random packer fan. Is the weather getting to you or something?

Oliver's going to be a dimeback, not exactly a high pressure situation. And his timed speed after months of inactivity doesn't concern me.

HoopsDemon12
07-12-2007, 02:49 PM
Not gonna lie a little jealous... ogden is getting old so what do you guys do.... replace him with another human wall..

KCJ58
07-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Grubbs and Gaither on a O-Line watch out

nbarnett56
07-12-2007, 02:57 PM
Wow, snippiness from a random packer fan. Is the weather getting to you or something?

Oliver's going to be a dimeback, not exactly a high pressure situation. And his timed speed after months of inactivity doesn't concern me.

Snippiness? No, just spelling out the facts.

dcarey20
07-12-2007, 03:05 PM
How perfect did this work out for us. We miss out on Joe Staley in the draft, grab the top guard in Grubbs, and now we give up a fifth rounder for Gaither, who I feel is equal to Staley. The Ravens future oline:

LT - Adam Terry
LG - Jason Brown
C - Chris Chester
RG - Ben Grubbs
RT - Jared Gaither

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Just another guy for Kam Wimbley to fly by on his way to sacking Steve McNair about a dozen times in 2008. I think Gaither's gonna be a bust (but a 5th round pick is not bad for a guy with that much upside, and if he doesn't work they always have Yanda). Good move by my man Ozzie, but I don't think he'll pan out.

SuperKevin
07-12-2007, 03:30 PM
Physically Gaither reminds me a lot of Jonathan Ogden so I think it's a great fit. Hopefully he's able to avoid some of the distractions in the area that robbed him of his focus this past year

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 04:50 PM
Physically Gaither reminds me a lot of Jonathan Ogden so I think it's a great fit. Hopefully he's able to avoid some of the distractions in the area that robbed him of his focus this past year

lol, yeah distractions like homework.

skinzzfan25
07-12-2007, 05:00 PM

Lmao, he's a good fit for the Ravens, he's like a mini-Ogden. But he probably has even better physical attributes, which is scary. If he goes to potential and learns from Ogden, the sky is the limit.

EDIT: Billick better make a sparknotes version of the playbook for him xD.

SuperKevin
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Lmao, he's a good fit for the Ravens, he's like a mini-Ogden. But he probably has even better physical attributes, which is scary. If he goes to potential and learns from Ogden, the sky is the limit.

EDIT: Billick better make a sparknotes version of the playbook for him xD.

There is nothing mini about Gaither

HoopsDemon12
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM

haha that is awesome... and ya gaither is not a mini ogden... isnt he bigger?

America
07-12-2007, 06:44 PM
I actually thought today the Ravens would get Gaither in the 5th. Great pickup and value.

D-Unit
07-12-2007, 07:06 PM
I love this for my fantasy team! Since I have Willis McGahee! :D

I really like Gaither, but I knew by Boys weren't gonna draft him. At least it takes Baltimore out of the running for an OT in next year's first round. Cowboys should be looking for one.

simms2clayton
07-12-2007, 07:33 PM
I love this for my fantasy team! Since I have Willis McGahee! :D

I really like Gaither, but I knew by Boys weren't gonna draft him. At least it takes Baltimore out of the running for an OT in next year's first round. Cowboys should be looking for one.

I have to disagree with you unit. Gaither has unlimited potential, we all know this. But what if he has worse character/attitude than Maurice Clarett?

etk
07-12-2007, 07:39 PM

Homers of what? I think there's like on Terps fan here on this board, and even f I was a Maryland homer I'd be spiteful towards Gaither. You never to cease to disappoint me, just focus more of your time on trolling the Michael Vick threads and less time trying to analyze draft stock.

etk
07-12-2007, 07:40 PM
I have to disagree with you unit. Gaither has unlimited potential, we all know this. But what if he has worse character/attitude than Maurice Clarett?

*sighs deeply*

What are you talking about? Where do you get these ideas?

Scott Wright
07-12-2007, 08:14 PM
This is a great move for Baltimore and yet another reason why Ozzie Newsome is one of the best, if not the best, in the business.

Now I have definitely been more critical of Gaither than most and he could still flame out in a year or two due to maturity/dedication/intelligence issues but this is a great situation for him. Let him essentially redshirt and learn for a year or two and if he maxes out his potential you have a seemless transition when Jon Ogden hangs them up. I wouldn't have used a Day One pick on him but in round five the possible rewards far outweigh the risks.

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 08:26 PM
They were prepared to go into 2008 with Terry at LT and Yanda at RT. Using a 5th rounder is a great investment in a guy with the upside of Gaither. If he busts then they still have Yanda to fall back on....smart move by Baltimore even if he doesn't work out. Definitely worth the risk.

CC.SD
07-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I really like Gaither, I hope he puts it together. I would rather the bolts had gotten him over Oliver, or ideally both. Gaither at RT and sliding Olivea to guard would have improved our line dramatically, and it's already great.

simms2clayton
07-12-2007, 09:06 PM
*sighs deeply*

What are you talking about? Where do you get these ideas?

...he could still flame out in a year or two due to maturity/dedication/intelligence issues...

10 Characters

draftguru151
07-12-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Characters

Yea, that's clearly Maurice Clarett type issues.

keylime_5
07-12-2007, 09:49 PM
I really like Gaither, I hope he puts it together. I would rather the bolts had gotten him over Oliver, or ideally both. Gaither at RT and sliding Olivea to guard would have improved our line dramatically, and it's already great.

Goff is good guard, but I don't think they should've gambled on Gaither for a RT when they don't have a pressing need and can find less of a risk of one in future drafts. One Supp. Pick is plenty for one team.

Actually, before today I was kinda thinking, "what if the Dolphins pick both those guys. That would be a smart thing for them." But I figure Cameron and Mueller won't do that, though Saban probably would've.

draftguru151
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Saban was really stingy with draft picks, I know he drafted Wright but it's not like he threw picks away.

Also the Dolphins have no need for Oliver, Gaither yes, but the only way we would have taken Oliver is if he fell into the 6th.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Damn just looking at Ravens 5th rounders are scary, they are so money for 5th rounders the list is damn impressive:
Jared Gaither, Troy Smith, Dawan Landry, Quinn Sypnewski, Justin Green, Tony Pashos, Aubrayo Franklin-could be good with 49ers.

Smokey Joe
07-12-2007, 11:15 PM
disappointed that the Bears didn't make a run at him. What have took a 4th round pick, but the Bears 4th round pick most likely would be worth an early 5th round pick next year anyway... oh well.

bearsfan_51
07-12-2007, 11:32 PM
disappointed that the Bears didn't make a run at him. What have took a 4th round pick, but the Bears 4th round pick most likely would be worth an early 5th round pick next year anyway... oh well.
I'm just fine avoiding the supplemental draft every year. Too many Manny Wrights. Do you have any idea how incredibly stupid and irresponsible you have to be to fail out of a college football program? The tutors practically do the work for the kids. Sorry but if you can't count to 10 backwards and aren't responsible enough to even show up to class I don't trust you to protect my quarterback's blindside. And that's not indicative of just these two players, but all suplemental draft players in general.

Vikes99ej
07-12-2007, 11:38 PM
I'm just fine avoiding the supplemental draft every year. Too many Manny Wrights. Do you have any idea how incredibly stupid and irresponsible you have to be to fail out of a college football program? The tutors practically do the work for the kids. Sorry but if you can't count to 10 backwards and aren't responsible enough to even show up to class I don't trust you to protect my quarterback's blindside. And that's not indicative of just these two players, but all suplemental draft players in general.

Thank you for making my point. The other Vikings fans thought I was crazy for not wanting Gaither.

simms2clayton
07-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Damn just looking at Ravens 5th rounders are scary, they are so money for 5th rounders the list is damn impressive:
Jared Gaither, Troy Smith, Dawan Landry, Quinn Sypnewski, Justin Green, Tony Pashos, Aubrayo Franklin-could be good with 49ers.

I agree. When we talk about finding value in the later rounds we need to point to the Ravens as the example.

Caddy
07-13-2007, 12:01 AM

Their 6th rounders aren't too shabby either and include guys like Adalius Thomas and Chester Taylor.

Yung Flippa
07-13-2007, 12:37 AM
The Ravens do a GREAT job finding hidden gems & steals in 2nd day picks thanks to Ozzie and his staff.

eacantdraft
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Homers of what? I think there's like on Terps fan here on this board, and even f I was a Maryland homer I'd be spiteful towards Gaither. You never to cease to disappoint me, just focus more of your time on trolling the Michael Vick threads and less time trying to analyze draft stock.

Go take a look at the supplemental draft prediction thread to see how the Gaither homers and fangirls got their panties in a wad whenever anyone suggested Gaither would go in the 4th round or lower. There is no reasoning with homers or fangirls.

ccB
07-13-2007, 01:50 PM
Go take a look at the supplemental draft prediction thread to see how the Gaither homers and fangirls got their panties in a wad whenever anyone suggested Gaither would go in the 4th round or lower. There is no reasoning with homers or fangirls.

Again where are all these Maryland fans? To my knowledge there isnt more than 3 or 4 maryland fans on this site. You have to be a fan of the team in order to be a homer. How many times are you going to toot your own horn for saying the same thing majority of the people on this site thought?!? HOw many times are you going to post in here about Fan girl this homer that without adding any intelligence to the conversation?