PDA

View Full Version : Casey Hampton vs Haloti Ngata

dregolll
07-14-2007, 06:06 PM
I know Hampton is already established as a dominant figure in the NFL already but if you had to start a 3-4 defense from scratch, which one of these 2 guys would you pick and why?

BrownsTown
07-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Hampton because he actually plays in a 3-4.

remix 6
07-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Vince Wilfork EASILY

cardsalltheway
07-14-2007, 06:19 PM
This isn't a random thread or anything

remix 6
07-14-2007, 06:20 PM
$5 that a steeler and raven fan argued over this

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 06:37 PM
There's no reason to argue over it; Casey Hampton is a NT in a 3-4 and Ngata is a DE when we line up in a 3-4. This is a ridiculous comparison.

remix 6
07-14-2007, 06:39 PM
There's no reason to argue over it; Casey Hampton is a NT in a 3-4 and Ngata is a DE when we line up in a 3-4. This is a ridiculous comparison.
na i think he can still be a 3-4 NT

hes certainly the size

duckseason
07-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Regardless of who we think is the better player right now, there is only one answer to this question. You're starting from scratch, you take the guy who doesn't already have 7 years on the odometer. Ngata figures to be a force in the trenches for another decade. Hampton would need to be head and shoulders above Ngata in the athleticism/size/skill departments in order to even be considered, and that just isn't the case.

steelernation77
07-14-2007, 06:46 PM
Regardless of who we think is the better player right now, there is only one answer to this question. You're starting from scratch, you take the guy who doesn't already have 7 years on the odometer. Ngata figures to be a force in the trenches for another decade. Hampton would need to be head and shoulders above Ngata in the athleticism/size/skill departments in order to even be considered, and that just isn't the case.

Well a NT is more important in a 3-4 than a DE.

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 06:49 PM

I'm quite sure Ngata would be fine at NT if it weren't for Kelly Gregg, but at the same time I'm not ready to announce is superiority over Hampton after just one season of work.

remix 6
07-14-2007, 06:50 PM
I'm quite sure Ngata would be fine at NT if it weren't for Kelly Gregg, but at the same time I'm not ready to announce is superiority over Hampton after just one season of work.

if it was 3-4 Ravens team i would DEs would be Pryce and Gregg with Ngata at nose and Suggs as the outside backer

actually i odnt know about Gregg. Hes 6"0 .. short for a DE and 310 which could be fine for a NT but wilfork-hampton-williams are all over 330 but Ferguson is around 315..

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 06:53 PM
if it was 3-4 Ravens team i would DEs would be Pryce and Gregg with Ngata at nose and Suggs as the outside backer

First of all please for the love of God learn some proper grammar as opposed to the jibberish that was your last post. Secondly, Kelly Gregg is by far the most underrated NT in the entire NFL and no way Ngata would replace now or anytime soon.

duckseason
07-14-2007, 06:53 PM

Yes, and a man who can play both is much more valuable than a guy who's limited to just one position.

duckseason
07-14-2007, 06:56 PM

I agree. No way can we say Ngata is the better player right now. But I would surely pick him over Hampton if I were starting from scratch.

ElectricEye
07-14-2007, 07:02 PM
Vince Wilfork EASILY

Agreed :p
Wilfork is better than both of them.

remix 6
07-14-2007, 07:05 PM
First of all please for the love of God learn some proper grammar as opposed to the jibberish that was your last post. Secondly, Kelly Gregg is by far the most underrated NT in the entire NFL and no way Ngata would replace now or anytime soon.

your gonna be a ***** over one little grammar mistake? this isnt the classroom, and it was a mistake.

..and Gregg doesnt even play NT. Ravens run a 4-3 ..there is no NOSE. So saying he is the most underrated NT in NFL is flat out stupid. Unless your talking about when the Ravens ran the 3-4, then your post might have a little credibility but that doesnt make him an underrated NT right now.

keylime_5
07-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Hampton is a better fit in the 3-4, even though Ngata would be good in the 3-4 too. Wilfork I would take over Ngata but not over Hampton. Ngata is a great fit in the Ravens' defense though in that 2 NT system (virtually) with 2 rush ends and a base end on their front.

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 07:16 PM
your gonna be a ***** over one little grammar mistake? this isnt the classroom, and it was a mistake.

..and Gregg doesnt even play NT. Ravens run a 4-3 ..there is no NOSE. So saying he is the most underrated NT in NFL is flat out stupid. Unless your talking about when the Ravens ran the 3-4, then your post might have a little credibility but that doesnt make him an underrated NT right now.

Umm junior...........we run a hybrid defense with a base of a 3-4/4-3 defense. But what do I know since I'm only a Ravens' fan, go to at least 4 games a year, and follow them year round. I'm so glad I have someone like you to tell me what kind of defense they run........ :rolleyes:

Man_Of_Steel
07-14-2007, 07:33 PM
This is an absolute joke.

America
07-14-2007, 07:38 PM

First off, even in a 4-3 Defense, a lot of the time there is a nose tackle, like in Tampa with Hovan and Kevin Carter(next season) or Ellis Wyms. Kendrick Clancy played NT, while Darnell Dockett played UT. La'Roi Glover was the UT in STL, while Jimmy Kennedy was the NT. The list goes on and on. The NT just occupies more blockers, allowing the UT to be a penetrating one gap kind of player. Kelly Gregg plays NT in the 4-3 and in the 3-4, which we run much of the time. He does not regularly play end in the 3-4. And he is a pretty underrated played and one of the better technicians in the league.

For the future, I would take Ngata, as he's 7 years younger than Hampton. But Hampton is a better player as of right now, due to his experience and smarts.

remix 6
07-14-2007, 07:51 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of a 3-4 NT. its much different than a 4-3 nose, so when he said NT..i went with the 3-4 since we were talking about Hampton.

when comparing, i would stick 3-4 guys with 3-4 guys and the 4-3s as separate .

i know ravens run 4-3 and 3-4 but mainly a 4-3 am i right?

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
First off, even in a 4-3 Defense, a lot of the time there is a nose tackle, like in Tampa with Hovan and Kevin Carter(next season) or Ellis Wyms. Kendrick Clancy played NT, while Darnell Dockett played UT. La'Roi Glover was the UT in STL, while Jimmy Kennedy was the NT. The list goes on and on. The NT just occupies more blockers, allowing the UT to be a penetrating one gap kind of player. Kelly Gregg plays NT in the 4-3 and in the 3-4, which we run much of the time. He does not regularly play end in the 3-4. And he is a pretty underrated played and one of the better technicians in the league.

For the future, I would take Ngata, as he's 7 years younger than Hampton. But Hampton is a better player as of right now, due to his experience and smarts.

Exactly. No nose=easy runs between the 2 and 3 holes. Even if there isn't a dead on nose(which is usually the case) one tackle is in the gap between Weak guard and Center, which plays the same role.

TheChampIsHere
07-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Ngata has the potential to go above and beyond what Hampton is, as he can be a serious penetrator as well as a run stopper, but Hampton is still the better player no question. If Im starting a 3-4 D Ill take Hampton because 3-4 NT is such a perfect position for him but if Im starting a defense from scratch and dont want 3-4 to be my only look, Im taking Ngata because he can play 4-3 DT, both the nose and the UT and he can play 3-4 DE and his potential is higher, a great frontline player to start a defense with, regardless of how you fill it out you will find a good spot for him.

Moses
07-14-2007, 08:14 PM
i was thinking more along the lines of a 3-4 NT. its much different than a 4-3 nose, so when he said NT..i went with the 3-4 since we were talking about Hampton.

Depends on the look they want to give. It's just the difference between Suggs playing with his knuckle down or standing up. Guys like Ngata fit equally well into the 4-3 and 3-4.

TheChampIsHere
07-14-2007, 08:15 PM

yeah but I dont think theres much question Ngata could play the nose if necessary, they just dont need him to because Kelly Gregg is a beast. But its a testament to Ngatas ability that he, being a guy whose natural position is obviously DT can move to the DE position with that kind of success in his rookie season

America
07-14-2007, 08:18 PM

I wouldn't say what the Ravens run is mainly any, because they might line up in a 4-3, but drop Suggs back into coverage or something like that and then its a perfectly effective 3-4. This is why its so successful, players can move around the field and can play a variety of roles.

Mr. Stiller
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I still don't understand the notion that Casey Hampton is an Elite 3-4 NT but if he was a 4-3 NT he would be 1/2 as good. His job would be the same and he would have another guy right beside him... as Gregg does with Ngata...

I don't know why we're having this discussion..

Should we start a Ray Lewis vs. Ernie Sims thread as well?

As for Ngata vs. Casey.. You're saying Ngata is the better player because he's more versatile..

And why are we talking about Suggs? Hampton could be elite either system. And it doesn't make sense that your comparing a 3-4 DE to a 3-4 NT.

The better comparison would be Ngata to Aaron Smith.

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 09:46 PM
I still don't understand the notion that Casey Hampton is an Elite 3-4 NT but if he was a 4-3 NT he would be 1/2 as good. His job would be the same and he would have another guy right beside him... as Gregg does with Ngata...

I don't know why we're having this discussion..

Should we start a Ray Lewis vs. Ernie Sims thread as well?

As for Ngata vs. Casey.. You're saying Ngata is the better player because he's more versatile..

And why are we talking about Suggs? Hampton could be elite either system. And it doesn't make sense that your comparing a 3-4 DE to a 3-4 NT.

The better comparison would be Ngata to Aaron Smith.

As I said earlier, this is a ridiculous comparison. Its even more obvious since we, a Ravens and Steelers fan, agree that this is ridiculous. Hampton is the better player since he's established, Ngata is the up and coming guy with tremendous upside.

Mr. Stiller
07-14-2007, 09:50 PM
As I said earlier, this is a ridiculous comparison. Its even more obvious since we, a Ravens and Steelers fan, agree that this is ridiculous. Hampton is the better player since he's established, Ngata is the up and coming guy with tremendous upside.

Agreed.

Frankly I don't know who I'd pick starting a 3-4. I would lean NT, because with a dominant NT you have the upperhand (Jamal Williams, Hampton, Wilfork, Gregg).

Ngata is versatile and I think he will be a thorn in our side for a long time.

Again, A better comparison would be Hampton vs. Gregg as they're both great NT's and limited to NT.

Or Aaron Smith and Ngata who are 3-4 DE's that are tough in a 4-3 DT spot.

I'd take Hampton and Ngata at those points.

But this is just ridiculous.

PoopSandwich
07-14-2007, 10:44 PM
Ted Washington would eat them both for breakfast.

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/jets/archives/tedwashington.jpg

GET IN MAH BELLAY!

Anyways, I do believe Ngata could play 3-4 NT but I don't really know who I would take.

BigDawg819
07-14-2007, 10:50 PM
The choice is this:

Hampton - Proven Commodity

Ngata - Potential and huge upside

CC.SD
07-15-2007, 12:22 AM
Ted Washington would eat them both for breakfast.

http://blogs.nydailynews.com/jets/archives/tedwashington.jpg

GET IN MAH BELLAY!

Anyways, I do believe Ngata could play 3-4 NT but I don't really know who I would take.

No, he'd split them with Jamal Williams. and then they'd go find Warren Sapp. Beefy!

BamaFalcon59
07-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Gravy Jackson

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan04/grady-dj104.jpg

BigDawg819
07-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Grady Jackson

http://graphics.jsonline.com/graphics/packer/img/news/jan04/grady-dj104.jpg

There fixed it for you........

SuperMcGee
07-15-2007, 12:05 PM
There fixed it for you........

I don't think you did.

ccB
07-15-2007, 12:12 PM

NO you are far from right and your knowledge of the Ravens is so weak that you should never post about them again.

BigDawg819
07-15-2007, 12:14 PM
NO you are far from right and your knowledge of the Ravens is so weak that you should never post about them again.

I tried telling him before CCB, but what do actual Ravens' fans know........... :rolleyes:

Ravens1991
07-15-2007, 12:32 PM
remix, Kelly Gregg about as strong as Ngata or maybe a little bit weaker, while Ngata is way more athletic and could get to the edge better then Gregg. It is the right fit for Gregg to be at NT and Ngata at end in a 3-4