PDA

View Full Version : Anything new on Jeff Samardzija?

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Samardzija is now in the bullpen for the Peoria Chiefs as his 2nd year of pro baseball has continued to be incosistant. I pose this question. Are there teams that will be callig him about his services yet?

princefielder28
07-15-2007, 04:29 PM
Jeff will not play football; he has alot of guaranteed money in baseball

fischbowl
07-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Samardzija is now in the bullpen for the Peoria Chiefs as his 2nd year of pro baseball has continued to be incosistant. I pose this question. Are there teams that will be callig him about his services yet?

hes doing terrible.

BamaFalcon59
07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
He is stupid. I would prefer to be a star and make good money than be 'just another guy' and make a ton.

PACKmanN
07-15-2007, 08:01 PM
if he goes back to football he has to pay the cubs back alot of money.

Damix
07-15-2007, 08:12 PM
He is stupid. I would prefer to be a star and make good money than be 'just another guy' and make a ton.

...because he was such a sure thing in football as well :rolleyes:

Brent
07-15-2007, 08:18 PM
makes me think of Drew Henson

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Jeff will not play football; he has alot of guaranteed money in baseball

Yes thats true, but are the Cubs willing to put up the cash for a few more season of average or below average stats? If they release him then the cash would be his if I am not mistaken, which would leave him free to pursue NFL possibilities right?

JF4
07-15-2007, 09:52 PM
He shouldn't have expected to do that good so early anyways. Give him a few years, then if he can't pitch he'll change to football.

BamaFalcon59
07-15-2007, 09:59 PM

He was a first round pick possetion reciever, and viewed as close to a sure thing as far as production. A poor mans Larry Fitzgerald is what a lot of people said. He had a much better shot to be a probowler than an allstar.

PalmerToCJ
07-15-2007, 10:34 PM
If I had to choose between the two for me personally it would be baseball. Guaranteed money with larger contracts on top of that plus less wear and tear on the body.

JK17
07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
He was a first round pick possetion reciever, and viewed as close to a sure thing as far as production. A poor mans Larry Fitzgerald is what a lot of people said. He had a much better shot to be a probowler than an allstar.

Nothing is a sure thing, he wasn't guaranteed to be doing anything special in the NFL....

I guess I'm just most critical of your original assumption, and that you claim you'd choose football over baseball in his situation. Saying you'd rather have the pride or glory over the money is one thing...actually taking the pride over the money is another. I'd have a hard time believing that few if any people on here would actaully make that choice, when I'm sure that he personally was just as confident in his own baseball skills as he was his football skills.

LonghornsLegend
07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
If I had to choose between the two for me personally it would be baseball. Guaranteed money with larger contracts on top of that plus less wear and tear on the body.

thank you, it was the same decision for bo jackson as well...baseball pays alot more to the best athletes, and the mediocre athletes are paid alot higher then mediocre football athletes, especially with him being a pitches...

he could play WR in the NFL, and take that punishment day in and out for a long time to come, or he could be a pitcher, make more money, and not even have to play every day with no physical contact...hmmm wonder what id take

someone447
07-16-2007, 12:10 AM
Nothing is a sure thing, he wasn't guaranteed to be doing anything special in the NFL....

I guess I'm just most critical of your original assumption, and that you claim you'd choose football over baseball in his situation. Saying you'd rather have the pride or glory over the money is one thing...actually taking the pride over the money is another. I'd have a hard time believing that few if any people on here would actaully make that choice, when I'm sure that he personally was just as confident in his own baseball skills as he was his football skills.

I guarantee I would choose the NFL, but that is just because I think football is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>more fun than baseball.

simms2clayton
07-16-2007, 12:17 AM
JS made a good choice. He's getting more guaranteed, a better signing bonus, and there isn't nearly as much pressure in the minors as there is in the majors.

I read he was just ranked as a top 150 prospect in the minors by Baseball America.

Jughead10
07-16-2007, 08:31 AM

I always thought it was a bad decision. He got a bunch of money in baseball, but he probably would have made close to that (within 2 million or so in football). No he wasn't a sure thing, but he would have been on an NFL team in a big city rather than stuck playing low A ball in the middle of west bumblef**k.

Man_Of_Steel
07-16-2007, 10:36 AM
He's still young. He wasnt expected to make the Cubs roster this season and who knows about next season. Choosing between a pro baseball or football career was a big decision and nothing so far has happened to make him question his choice. The main thing for Samarj is to learn how to use his body leverage to throw heat instead of using all arm. He can get alot of speed and power by using his 6'5 frame as leverage.

BamaFalcon59
07-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Pride and glory over money? You make it sound as if football players make very little. He would still be living a very nice lifestyle either way.

Jughead10
07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
What were the details of Greg Olsen's contract? I wonder how that compares to Samardzija's baseball contract?

draftguru151
07-16-2007, 11:52 AM
What were the details of Greg Olsen's contract? I wonder how that compares to Samardzija's baseball contract?

5 years $10.7 million. Samardzija got $8 million guaranteed.

Moses
07-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Ever think that Jeff picked baseball because, *gasp*, he likes it more? Let him play what he wants. Plus, he's in his early 20s. He has plenty of time to develop into a quality baseball player.

Jughead10
07-16-2007, 11:55 AM
5 years $10.7 million. Samardzija got $8 million guaranteed.

Pretty much thats the same money in my mind. Within a million or two. Of course I'm assuming Jeff would have roughly been picked around 31, but I thinks that a fair assumption. Even if Jeff barely played, he would have been on an NFL roster and not in west bumblef**k playing baseball between corn stalks. And no team gives up on a first round pick until at least 3 years. He would have made 8 million dollars.

JK17
07-16-2007, 12:05 PM
Pride and glory over money? You make it sound as if football players make very little. He would still be living a very nice lifestyle either way.

Yeah, he would be making a good deal of money playing football also. But your assuming he doesn't feel he can be a baseball star, doesn't enjoy baseball more, and doesn't feel more confident in his baseball skills then football skills.

LonghornsLegend
07-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Pretty much thats the same money in my mind. Within a million or two. Of course I'm assuming Jeff would have roughly been picked around 31, but I thinks that a fair assumption. Even if Jeff barely played, he would have been on an NFL roster and not in west bumblef**k playing baseball between corn stalks. And no team gives up on a first round pick until at least 3 years. He would have made 8 million dollars.

its gonna take olson 5 years to make 10 mil, jeff has 8 mill guaranteed off top...and like it was said before, you ever think that he likes to play baseball more?

its obvious which sport you like more, but the decision was completely different for me

Jughead10
07-16-2007, 12:58 PM
its gonna take olson 5 years to make 10 mil, jeff has 8 mill guaranteed off top...and like it was said before, you ever think that he likes to play baseball more?

its obvious which sport you like more, but the decision was completely different for me

I actually don't know what sport I like more personally. But I do enjoy watching Jeff play football more rather than him pitching for a low A team in Idaho.

Primetime21
07-16-2007, 01:56 PM
I actually don't know what sport I like more personally. But I do enjoy watching Jeff play football more rather than him pitching for a low A team in Idaho.

He played like two games in Idaho, now he is in Illinois and in driving distance of Chicago.

IrishBrowns
07-17-2007, 12:39 PM
trust me, i would rather have him play football

but lets not be dumb here....everyone knows it usually takes a few years to get in the league....

Alex Gordon is about the only exception, because the royals are the absolute worst team in baseball for years...

VoteLynnSwan
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM

people people... lets get this straight... Jeff Samardzija is currently pitching for the Daytona Cubs of the Florida State League. That is High Class A ball.

and in his last four starts he has shown a vast improvement (I'd like to stress STARTS because he's back in the starting rotation after a brief bullpen stint.)

Jun 30 5ip 3hits 1er 2bb 2so (win)
July 5 6ip 6hits 1er 2bb 4so (win)
July 11 5ip 6hits 2er 2bb 2so (n/d)
July 16 5.2ip 9hits 3er 0bb 3so (loss)

This is a vast improvement over how he started the season. It will still be another 2-3 years likely before he touches the Cubs Starting Rotation and or Bullpen because he was so inexperienced coming out of College, but the talent is definitely there, and he has front of the rotation potential stuff.

Lets not forget that had it not been for football, he'd have been a 1st round pick in baseball as well.

VoteLynnSwan
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
trust me, i would rather have him play football

but lets not be dumb here....everyone knows it usually takes a few years to get in the league....

Alex Gordon is about the only exception, because the royals are the absolute worst team in baseball for years...

Alex Gordon lasted 2 years + in the minors... he's 23 right now after coming out of college. A better example would be Ryan Zimmerman who was brought up in August or September the year he was drafted.

Jughead10
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
With only two legitimate pitches at his age, I dunno if he has front of the rotation stuff.

ironman4579
07-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Alex Gordon lasted 2 years + in the minors... he's 23 right now after coming out of college. A better example would be Ryan Zimmerman who was brought up in August or September the year he was drafted.

I was going to say, Alex Gordon is definately not the exception. Justin Verlander was in the majors in his second season and won rookie of the year. Andrew Miller didn't even spend a full season in the minors. Those are just recent Tiger's examples, but I can think of numerous others (such as Zimmerman) that took less time than Gordon to reach the majors. In the last few years, more and more players are being brought up to stay in their first or second year in the minors.

Philliez01
07-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Remember though, he has never really fully focused on baseball until now. There is conditioning, mechanical and probably some mental issues as well behind the mound. Recently he looks better as he's starting to adjust to being a full - time pitcher. He has a good, live fastball but still a developing slider and changeup. Give him time.

VoteLynnSwan
07-18-2007, 01:33 AM
With only two legitimate pitches at his age, I dunno if he has front of the rotation stuff.

his experience coming out of college was comparable to a pitcher coming out of high school. He'll probably be 24 by the time he makes an impact in the big leagues, age really isn't important with him.

07-18-2007, 03:46 AM
If he can advance roughly from A-AAA in 2-3 years, I do not see what the problem is. It is very difficult to develop into a capable MLB starter.

bernbabybern820
07-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Exactly. Do you know how much his entire contract is worth?

raiderfan_89
07-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Samardzija is now in the bullpen for the Peoria Chiefs as his 2nd year of pro baseball has continued to be incosistant. I pose this question. Are there teams that will be callig him about his services yet?The MLB is nothing like the NFL. You don't sit on the bench with your immediate team. You have to work your way up. I'll admit he hasn't worked his way up, but there are few who come up to the Bigs right away. Usually it takes more than 2 years. 4 at the most.

ironman4579
07-20-2007, 03:40 PM
Remember though, he has never really fully focused on baseball until now. There is conditioning, mechanical and probably some mental issues as well behind the mound. Recently he looks better as he's starting to adjust to being a full - time pitcher. He has a good, live fastball but still a developing slider and changeup. Give him time.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying that he should have gone with football. Far from it. I think that with the limited experience he had prior to the minor leagues, he could certainly take 3 or 4 years to reach the majors. I was simply pointing out that Alex Gordon was also far from the exception when it comes to players moving through the minor leagues quickly.

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 04:39 PM
Don't get me wrong. I wasn't saying that he should have gone with football. Far from it. I think that with the limited experience he had prior to the minor leagues, he could certainly take 3 or 4 years to reach the majors. I was simply pointing out that Alex Gordon was also far from the exception when it comes to players moving through the minor leagues quickly.

But Alex Gordon has been able to commit his full attention to baseball. The man prepared all fall/winter long for the spring. Samardzija had an abbreviated training regimen than Gordon or any college baseball player for the most part.

bearsfan_51
07-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Those strikeout numbers are terrible for Single A ball though, which is the best way to judge a pitcher's potential/progression level.

ironman4579
07-23-2007, 04:39 PM
But Alex Gordon has been able to commit his full attention to baseball. The man prepared all fall/winter long for the spring. Samardzija had an abbreviated training regimen than Gordon or any college baseball player for the most part.

You've completely missed the point of what I was saying. I don't care about Samardjia or Gordon. I'm not comparing the two in any way. I'm not comparing Samardjia to anyone. I was making a point about Alex Gordon that had nothing to do with Samardjia. Samardjia never entered my mind.

P-L
07-23-2007, 09:59 PM

I don't think many people view Samardzija as a potential front of the rotation starter. He has never had the secondary stuff to be a 1/2 starter.

brat316
07-23-2007, 10:18 PM
I heard he sucks at pitching right now, he should just go back to football

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Shark was bumped up to AA Tennessee.

Potential wise, Shark has front of the rotation potential. Again, keyword is potential. If his secondary pitches developed into plus pitches, he would be nasty.

He's had a lot of struggles this year, though. The thing to keep in mind is this - the Cubs have asked him to throw X number of his secondary pitches each game. So, a lot of starts, he's been throwing his weaker pitches to improve.

That said, I've been disappointed, a little. I really didn't expect much, though, and I thought he should've started at Peoria. The Cubs have been trumpeting him up ... but it's hard to buy into that line. Only time will tell.

I was surprised at the callup to AA, though, so we'll see what happens.