PDA

View Full Version : 5 Favorite Books of All Time

Brent
07-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I saw the Movies and Video Games version, so I felt a book thread was worthy.

1) "1984" by George Orwell
2) "Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way" by Bruce Campbell
3) "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli
4) "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn
5) "The Hatchet" by Gary Paulson

fischbowl
07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
1) Moneyball by Michael Lewis
2) Catcher In The Rye by JD Salinger
3) Basketcase by Carl Hiaasen
4) Texas by James Michener (it took me a year and a half but if any novel can keep me interested for that long than bring it on)
5) Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostervsky

McBain
07-15-2007, 11:03 PM
The Outsiders!!!!!
Hatchet
Redwall by Jaques something something.
Sword of Shannara was another one i liked back in the day
Right now i'm reading Walden by Henry David Thoreau, i actually like it.
and of course the entire goosebumps series.
1984 by George Orwell

I never read a lot in high school.. but the stuff i did read i usually liked.. The Great Gatsby, The Crucible and Of Mice and Men. I haven't read enuff to the point of making a good top five though.

diabsoule
07-15-2007, 11:12 PM
The Godfather by Mario Puza
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allen Poe
The Counte of Monte Cristo by Alexander Dumas
The Green Mile by Stephen King

ripdw27
07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
not much of a reader unless i get grounded or have NOTHING to do

eh no order tho

Outsiders, The Godfather(#1), Point Blank, How To Lose a Battle

tEk
07-15-2007, 11:18 PM
where the red fern grows wilson rawls
catcher in the rye j d salinger
the key to midnight dean koontz
the blue nowhere jeffery deaver
a wrinkle in time madeleine l'Engle

simms2clayton
07-15-2007, 11:39 PM
1. Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakaeur
2. The Draft by Pete Williams
3. Bloody Sundays by Mike Freeman
4. The Kid Who Only Hit Homers by Matt Christopher

I probably have books that I would consider to be more favored over #3 and 4, but I can not remember them.

I highly suggest everyone read Under the Banner of Heaven just from a knowledge standpoint. It truly blew me away and I learned a lot (not going to go deeper than that).

simms2clayton
07-15-2007, 11:47 PM

When are they going to makes this a movie?

themaninblack
07-15-2007, 11:57 PM
in no order:
Lullaby-Chuck Palahniuk
Tale of Two Cities-Dickens
Les Miserables-Hugo
The Catcher in the Rye-JD Salinger
The Traveler's Gift-Andy Andrews

I am currently reading a historical book entitled 1776 by David McCoullough and it is excellent.

TACKLE
07-16-2007, 12:01 AM

They basically already did. Cast Away is pretty much the same premise except for it happens in a tropical island instead of a forest.

TACKLE
07-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Best book I ever read...

The Blind Side - Michael Lewis

simms2clayton
07-16-2007, 12:03 AM
They basically already did. Cast Away is pretty much the same premise except for it happens in a tropical island instead of a forest.

I knew that when I mentioned making a movie for Hatchet, but the story is really different.

ncst8fan83
07-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Five Families - Selwyn Raab
John Adams - David McCullough
Anything by Poe
Band of Brothers - Stephen Ambrose
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

DLS42
07-16-2007, 12:18 AM
Enders game-Orson Scott Card
To hate like this is to be happy forever- Will Blythe
Green Mile- King
The shining- King
The complete calvin and hobbes- Bill Watterson

kalbears13
07-16-2007, 12:25 AM
Redwall Series- Brian Jacques
Ender's Series- Orson Scott Card
Catcher in the Rye- JD Salinger
The Great Gatsby- F Scott Fitzgerald
To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee

Paul
07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
I saw the Movies and Video Games version, so I felt a book thread was worthy.

1) "1984" by George Orwell
2) "Make Love! The Bruce Campbell Way" by Bruce Campbell
3) "The Prince" by Niccolo Machiavelli
4) "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn

How is it? My philosophy kept going on and on about it, he made sound it interesting.

rainbeaukid2
07-16-2007, 01:25 AM
in no order, just the top 5
1. The Romanov Prophecy-Steve Berry
2. Black Order-James Rollins
3. any mitch rapp book-Vince Flynn
4. The Jester-James Patterson
5. Red Dragon-Thomas Harris

KCJ58
07-16-2007, 01:31 AM
http://www.sc.edu/library/spcoll/amlit/trimalchio/gg1a.jpg

Boston
07-16-2007, 01:44 AM
1. Count of Monte Cristo
2. Half Blood Prince
3. Hatchet, Brian's Winter
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. Ender's Game

BigDawg819
07-16-2007, 02:35 AM

One of my favorites.

Brent
07-16-2007, 08:28 AM
They did make a TV movie about it but I heard it was awful and it wasn't titled The Hatchet. I don't think I would want a movie based on the book, I have too many fond memories about it and its sequels.

How is it? My philosophy kept going on and on about it, he made sound it interesting.
It's great if you are into philosophy. I can't tell you whether or not it's like life-changing but it is fascinating. Although when I read it, it made me want to run an empire.

Brent
07-16-2007, 08:33 AM
Another book I forgot to mention is American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis. Reading that made me just look at people I passed on campus with some sort of attitude that I was "above them." It's hard to explain until you read it.

princefielder28
07-16-2007, 09:06 AM
Cat in the Hat

Moses
07-16-2007, 09:14 AM

People actually liked that book?

Xiomera
07-16-2007, 09:15 AM
So many good ones on this list . . . I'll add a few more:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Homer's the Iliad

Xiomera
07-16-2007, 09:17 AM

Machiavelli's The Prince is brilliant. Read it, and you too can conquer the world one day. http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

senormysterioso
07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
The Profit - Khalil Gibron
Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides
A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - Dave Eggers
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
A Farewell to Arms - Earnest Hemmingway

Moses
07-16-2007, 10:08 AM
I'm not a big "book" reader as I prefer non-fiction and the internet.

Two off the top of my head:

The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Godfather by Mario Puzo

Bearsfan123
07-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Wheel of Time Series Robert Jordan-Great series incredibly detailed and needs a ton of attention. Also extremely long.

American Gods Neil G.- Amazing book about Gods in America. I loved it, and am currently re-reading it.

THe Client John Grisham- Meh i really liked it for some reason. One of the few fiction that isnt science fiction or fantasy.

Greek Gods and Heroes- A great collection of greek myths. Unfortuneatly i cant find it in my room, so i cant give you the author or true title.

Harry Potter Series- I liked them all, but now that they have become darker they have really picqued (sp?) my interest.

other notables: The Animorph series and side books, Poes works, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms (Drizzt Dro Urden especially), Bleach and Kenshin if we include graphic novels, oh and The Devils Angels i believe its called, its a book about the Civil War from Longstreet's point of view.

Splat
07-16-2007, 11:09 AM
1.Holy Bible
2.Left Behind (series)
3.Cirque Du Freak (series)
4.Go Ask Alice
5.The Giver

Moses
07-16-2007, 11:12 AM
1.Holy Bible
2.Left Behind (series)
4.Go Ask Alice
5.The Giver

Aesop's Fables. ;)

Splat
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
To each is own.

B-Dawk
07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Wheel of Time Series Robert Jordan-Great series incredibly detailed and needs a ton of attention. Also extremely long.

American Gods Neil G.- Amazing book about Gods in America. I loved it, and am currently re-reading it.

THe Client John Grisham- Meh i really liked it for some reason. One of the few fiction that isnt science fiction or fantasy.

Greek Gods and Heroes- A great collection of greek myths. Unfortuneatly i cant find it in my room, so i cant give you the author or true title.

Harry Potter Series- I liked them all, but now that they have become darker they have really picqued (sp?) my interest.

other notables: The Animorph series and side books, Poes works, Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms (Drizzt Dro Urden especially), Bleach and Kenshin if we include graphic novels, oh and The Devils Angels i believe its called, its a book about the Civil War from Longstreet's point of view.

Gaiman is one of my favorite authors

BamaFalcon59
07-16-2007, 11:38 AM
1. Romance of the Three Kingdoms- Luo Guanzhong
2. Emperor- Conn Igulden
3. Angels and Demons- Dan Brown
4. A Short History of Byzantium- John Norwich
5. The Art of War- Sun Tzu
6. The Draft- Pete Williams
7. The Maker of Modern Japan: The Life of Tokugawa Leyasu- AL Sadler
8. Outlaws of the Marsh- ??? (Luo Guanzhong??? Still haven't read the whole thing ugh)

That's off of the top of my head.

Bearsfan123
07-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Gaiman is one of my favorite authors

Really? Can you tell me about some of his other books?

McBain
07-16-2007, 02:33 PM
1.Holy Bible
2.Left Behind (series)
4.Go Ask Alice
5.The Giver

Good call with the Giver, that was one of my faves as a kid.

B-Dawk
07-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Really? Can you tell me about some of his other books?

besides American Gods I have read Good Omens, a parody of sorts of the Omen, Stardust, a love story about a guy trying to find a fallen star, the movie adaptation is coming out soon, and am currently reading Neverwhere. Most of his works are graphic novels and comics.

Damix
07-16-2007, 10:33 PM
The Foundation Series - Issac Asminov (Series)
The Asian Saga - James Clavell (Series)
Dirk Pitt Novels - Clive Cussler

Thats like 50 books right there

Staubach12
07-16-2007, 11:50 PM
1. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men is Steinbeck's best work, and he's my favorite author. It's tragic, ironic, and says a lot about humanity which I loe in books.

2. 1984 by George Orwell

This really makes you think about true control and how far control will go. It's a very good read.

3.Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

This is one of Steinbecks lesser known novels. It's a very rough read, and it doesn't follow any real structure, but because of that, it's so raw. Steinbeck makes stunning observations of humanity, and it's amazing to see the world through such a brilliant mind.

4. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The plot of this and the major themes are incredible. I actually wanted to change my username to CartonRTL (RTL standing for Recalled to Life), but the powers that be wouldn't let me.

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

This says a lot about human nature, and it makes you think about your own nature. It also made me think of how savage the civilized world really is.

Other favorites include The Giver by Lois Lowry, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Animal Farm by George Orwell, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger.

steelersfan43
07-16-2007, 11:57 PM
1.Holy Bible
2.Left Behind (series)
4.Go Ask Alice
5.The Giver

hahahahahhahaha

Staubach12
07-16-2007, 11:59 PM
I recently bought and plan to read The Communist Manifesto. I also want to read The Art of War and The Prince. They all seem very interesting and I've heard they're all good.

Philliez01
07-17-2007, 12:14 AM
1. A Walk In The Woods - Bill Bryson
2. Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson
3. The Knucklebook - Dave Clark
4. Ball Four - Jim Bouton
5. Now I Can Die In Peace..... - Bill Simmons

Splat
07-17-2007, 08:50 PM
hahahahahhahaha

John 15:18-21

M.O.T.H.
07-17-2007, 08:52 PM
1. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Of Mice and Men is Steinbeck's best work, and he's my favorite author. It's tragic, ironic, and says a lot about humanity which I loe in books.

2. 1984 by George Orwell

This really makes you think about true control and how far control will go. It's a very good read.

3.Travels with Charlie by John Steinbeck

This is one of Steinbecks lesser known novels. It's a very rough read, and it doesn't follow any real structure, but because of that, it's so raw. Steinbeck makes stunning observations of humanity, and it's amazing to see the world through such a brilliant mind.

4. A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The plot of this and the major themes are incredible. I actually wanted to change my username to CartonRTL (RTL standing for Recalled to Life), but the powers that be wouldn't let me.

5. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

This says a lot about human nature, and it makes you think about your own nature. It also made me think of how savage the civilized world really is.

Other favorites include The Giver by Lois Lowry, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, Animal Farm by George Orwell, Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger.

That's basically Freshman through Junior year right there...we read all of them.

Brent
07-17-2007, 08:55 PM
John 15:18-21
I don't think he said he hated you. He just laughed at you is all.

Splat
07-17-2007, 09:22 PM
hahahahahhahaha

I don't think he said he hated you. He just laughed at you is all.

Persecute

To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.
To annoy persistently; bother.That being said I forgive him.

Moses
07-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Persecute

To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.
To annoy persistently; bother.That being said I forgive him.

Too bad religion isn't allowed to be discussed here. So many good responses to this. :)

raiderfan_89
07-17-2007, 09:29 PM
A place to stand

Splat
07-17-2007, 09:30 PM
If I'm banned for it so be it the thread was about your five favorite books the bible is one of mine.

Moses
07-17-2007, 09:32 PM
If I'm banned for it so be it the thread was about your five favorite books the bible is one of mine.

That's fine. Nobody said anything about disallowing fictional books in their lists. ;)

Splat
07-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry you feel that way I disagree with you but that is my right as an American to believe what I want just like you have the right not to I have no hard feelings for you or steelersfan43.

-black
07-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Make Me Wanna Holler
Coldest Winter Ever
Good Peoples
Color Purple
The Bible

TitleTown088
07-17-2007, 11:40 PM
I have more than 5.

Catcher in the Rye
Of Mice and Men
Band of Brothers
Bible
En La Ardiente Oscuridad
Darwin on Trial
The Grapes of Wrath
Daniels Story

The Unseen
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I don't think I could make a top 5, as I haven't read that many books. But I can say that my favorites are The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings.

I have read through The Silmarillion and The Lord of the Rings once. The movies introduced me to Tolkien's "legendarium," and I have seen those many times. However, I would visit Tolkien-based websites frequently, and would also reference the books many times. Therefore, I know alot about them. So it's not just the books themselves, but their "aura."

I'm currently re-reading The Silmarillion. I'm tempted to say that it's my favorite book over The Lord of the Rings, but The Lord of the Rings is what got me to read The Silmarillion, and gives a book that already has great scope an even larger one. It's almost a guarantee that if I read the Silmarillion before watching Lord of the Rings movies or books I wouldn't like it, even though it is chronologically first. What I like about The Silmarillion is its massive scope and powerful themes of war, love, and power. It can't be read like a novel: those who approach it as such would probably dislike it. It's written in historical and elevated "prose." It's not about specific characters or places, it's how a bunch (and I do mean a bunch) of places and characters mesh together.

aaaand there ya go.