PDA

View Full Version : Redding got PAID

Newbs24
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Lions sign Redding to monster deal before franchise-player deadline
By John Clayton

Last year, Rod Marinelli moved Cory Redding from defensive end to defensive tackle in the belief he could be one of the best defensive tackles in football.

Cory Redding

Defensive Tackle
Detroit Lions

2006 Season Stats Tot Solo Ast FF Sack Int
48 39 9 2 8 0

On Monday, the Lions backed up that belief by making him the highest-paid defensive tackle in football. Redding, the team's franchise player in 2007, agreed to a seven-year, $49 million contract that included $16 million in guarantees, including $13 million in signing bonus and roster guarantees.

Redding will receive a little more than $20 million over the first three years of his contract.

Redding's agreement beat a 4 p.m. Monday deadline for franchise players. Had he not reached an agreement, Redding would have been forced to only accept a one-year deal with no chance of an extension until next season. Under those circumstances, Redding might have held out the entire training camp.

Now, he will be present for the start of camp and will work with Shaun Rogers in what Marinelli believes will be one of the more dominating interior defensive lines in football.

Redding's agent, Kennard McGuire, was unavailable for comment while he worked out the final paperwork to submit to the league before the deadline.

Initially, Redding wanted to hit the free-agent market and leave the team. Marinelli and the organization decided to franchise him and try to talk him into taking a long-term deal. Last Monday, both sides had a major breakthrough in negotiations when the Lions came within $400,000 a year of Redding's demands.

Talks slowed down last Friday and Saturday and the possibility of no long-term deal existed. On Monday morning, the Lions increased their offer and signed him for $7 million a year.

The Redding deal tops the five-year, $33.24 million contract given to Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams.

The 6-foot-4, 290-pound Redding was taken in the third round of the 2002 draft and started nine games as a defensive end as a rookie. In the past three years, he had 48 starts. Last year, he had career highs in tackles (47) and sacks (eight).

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Wow. Cory is good but not that good. I guess they really wanted him to stick around. If he and Rogers can lineup together for a long while, it is all good. Does this make trading Rogers even more of a possibility?

detroit4life
07-16-2007, 02:15 PM
no it doesnt this makes a very good tandem of DT's that they are going to build around. Redding put up these numbers without rogers these two can be scary good lining up with eachother. They want to have these two on the same line with eachother they didnt make the move so they can get rid of the other player in that tandem

TacticaLion
07-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I'm glad they did it. Make him happy and keep him a Lion for a long time. He's a passionate player, a believer in the Marinelli-system and a hard worker.

Redding and Rogers... with White, Edwards and IAF. Could be a great line.

Notredameleo
07-16-2007, 03:02 PM
This has to improve morale, the players who play good will be rewarded. Hopefully both he and rogers can both stay healthy.

Aard
07-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Good for Cory.

Good for the Lions.

Let's get this pre-season going already!

Xiomera
07-16-2007, 03:49 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2938519

He better be the best damn DT in the NFL this year.

WMD
07-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Good god! I don't think I would have paid him this much.. If anything, I would've waited and made him prove his worth again this year, and THEN signed him to this monster deal.

BigDawg819
07-17-2007, 01:44 AM
Wow.........................just wow.............................

Iamcanadian
07-17-2007, 09:57 AM
Let's admit the truth, players don't want to stay in Detroit unless Millen way overpays them. That is how he kept Backus and that is how he is keeping Redding. Redding has the potential to be a very good Tampa 2 DT but he's not a star just yet, far from it, but we are paying him top 5 DT money. If we are going to have to pay all our above average players top 5 money to keep them, cap hell will be close behind. Just another legacy of Millen's tenure. Player's agents know they have Millen between a rock and a hard place and will squeeze him till blood comes out.

detroit4life
07-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Let's admit the truth, players don't want to stay in Detroit unless Millen way overpays them. That is how he kept Backus and that is how he is keeping Redding. Redding has the potential to be a very good Tampa 2 DT but he's not a star just yet, far from it, but we are paying him top 5 DT money. If we are going to have to pay all our above average players top 5 money to keep them, cap hell will be close behind. Just another legacy of Millen's tenure. Player's agents know they have Millen between a rock and a hard place and will squeeze him till blood comes out.

well are u saying u would rather let all our good players walk? thats not how u build a winning team. Teams who loose usually have to overpay to keep their players and to get new players If they refuse that then they'll loose more you have to do it until your team gets some respectability.

TacticaLion
07-17-2007, 05:12 PM
well are u saying u would rather let all our good players walk? thats not how u build a winning team. Teams who loose usually have to overpay to keep their players and to get new players If they refuse that then they'll loose more you have to do it until your team gets some respectability.
Exactly. I'd rather overpay for a hard working, talented, football loving young player that believes in the head coach than let him walk and be the same player for a different team. He had a great year and wasn't playing with SRogers... lets give him a chance to own the starting job before we label him as just "above average".

Lions head coach Rod Marinelli made it clear that the team's No. 1 off-season priority was re-signing Redding.

"I stated it well -- I wanted this player in our program and it was very, very important to me,'' Marinelli said. That's enough for me. If Marinelli wanted him that bad, that's all I need to hear.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Redding won't be the highest DT in the league after some of the other young DTs such as Tommie Harris get new deals. Due to the increase in salary cap players get paid more now. Backus got paid a ton but look at Backus numbers for a LT compared to the guard money given out this offseason Dockery,Leonard Davis, Dielman and Steinbach. We really needed to keep Backus. Solid LTs just don't come out on the market besides maybe Pettigout this offseason but he has an injury history and Backus doesn't. Backus did play horrible last year which is uncharacteristic of him except for penalties which he always has had problems with. But Backus was playing next to an inconsistent line that was reshuffled weekly with garbage for a left guard. I think if Mulitalo stays healthy and Backus returns to his normal form of above average starter, Backus will be worth the money.

As far as Redding. He had 7 sacks in the 10 games(1 sack as an End vs Buffalo) when he changed to DT after Rogers/Cody and James Hall went down with injury. Redding at DT seems to be a very good find because he plays with a high motor and was facing a lot of double teams but still managed 7 sacks as a DT in 10 games. I can't wait to see what Redding can do with Rogers at nose tackle taking the double teams.

http://spartannation.com/?cat=12
The July 18th entry on this page makes me feel good about the Redding signing.

JPLUFF
07-20-2007, 03:37 PM
Good for Cory Redding. He had a great season last year and deserved to be paid.

Whether or not he deserved to be paid that much, guess we'll just wait and see. If Rod thinks he's that valuable though, it's good enough for me.

TacticaLion
07-22-2007, 12:38 PM
Good for Cory Redding. He had a great season last year and deserved to be paid.

Whether or not he deserved to be paid that much, guess we'll just wait and see. If Rod thinks he's that valuable though, it's good enough for me.

Exactly... word for word.