PDA

View Full Version : Football Terms

Xonraider
07-16-2007, 03:18 PM
I'd like to have some help with some football terms... I feel I should know most of these, but I don't.

3 Technique?
4 Technique?
5 Technique?

I know they mean to be DTs, but that is it.

What is a ''tex''? I know it refers to some OL move, just don't know whose and what it is.

Thanks.

nbarnett56
07-16-2007, 03:34 PM
I'd like to have some help with some football terms... I feel I should know most of these, but I don't.

3 Technique?
4 Technique?
5 Technique?

I know they mean to be DTs, but that is it.

What is a ''tex''? I know it refers to some OL move, just don't know whose and what it is.

Thanks.

The number represents what gap that player is assigned too. Generally the only player with a number attached to their name is the 3 technique DT. That player is usually a smaller, quicker DT.

I don't see what your getting at with "tex" though.

Shiver
07-16-2007, 03:43 PM
This is the easiest way to answer this:

http://football.calsci.com/images/Gaps.png

ATLDirtyBirds
07-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Does anybody know what a 4-I is?

awfullyquiet
07-16-2007, 04:02 PM
the 4-I? maryland I?
Four people lined in an I in the backfield?
Full back, two running backs in an I behind the quarterback.
If i think that's right.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
the 4-I? maryland I?
Four people lined in an I in the backfield?
Full back, two running backs in an I behind the quarterback.
If i think that's right.

I was wondering if it was position. I had never heard of it used as a position, but I heard a football coach say that kid would make one great 4I.

neko4
07-16-2007, 04:27 PM
I was wondering if it was position. I had never heard of it used as a position, but I heard a football coach say that kid would make one great 4I.

he was probably refering to one of the backs in the 4I

BlindSite
07-16-2007, 04:59 PM
It might be cool to turn this into a bit of a trivia thread.

Who can explain what a joker linebacker is?

Hint: Thomas Davis was used in this capacity for a year.

Go_Eagles77
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
It might be cool to turn this into a bit of a trivia thread.

A LB that is used specifically for blitzing? I think thats right

Riotmaker
07-16-2007, 05:11 PM

Since "joker" isn't a by-the-book position, it can be described differently according to different teams. I'm not sure how Carolina used Davis.

The Eagles used to use the joker all the time before Kearse got hurt. He played it in 04 and 05, not so much last year due to playing 2 games. They used Juqua Thomas as a joker sparingly last year. In the Eagles version, it was a linebacker lined up maybe only a yard behind the defensive line over a gap. They'd blitz the gap, bump and run the TE or cover a RB. Juqua and Kearse were used in a variety of different ways when they lined up as the joker. Basically, the joker has to be a versatile athlete with good blitzing skills and change of direction.

Purple N Proud
07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
A tex block is one between the tackle and guard. The tackle takes a down step to the inside while the guard waits a split second then down blocks to the outside right behind the tackle's butt. I think it's cause it kinda makes an X shape, and T for tackle. At least that's how i remembered it.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-16-2007, 05:46 PM
A 4I is also used for defensive technique. It is just a little inside of the regular 4 technique.

Xonraider
07-16-2007, 08:07 PM
The number represents what gap that player is assigned too. Generally the only player with a number attached to their name is the 3 technique DT. That player is usually a smaller, quicker DT.

I don't see what your getting at with "tex" though.

This is the easiest way to answer this:

http://football.calsci.com/images/Gaps.png

Thanks you guys, now I can run the Midline in my team!

villagewarrior
07-16-2007, 09:09 PM
A 4I is also used for defensive technique. It is just a little inside of the regular 4 technique.

This is basically correct. For some strange reason, whoever invented the numbering system decided to put the 4 tech on the inside shoulder of the tackle, the 4I tech head up on the tackle, and the 5 tech on the outside shoulder. I think it was so they could keep even numbers on the shoulders of the tight ends, but, I don't know if that's true or not.

BlindSite
07-17-2007, 12:25 AM
Since "joker" isn't a by-the-book position, it can be described differently according to different teams. I'm not sure how Carolina used Davis.

The Eagles used to use the joker all the time before Kearse got hurt. He played it in 04 and 05, not so much last year due to playing 2 games. They used Juqua Thomas as a joker sparingly last year. In the Eagles version, it was a linebacker lined up maybe only a yard behind the defensive line over a gap. They'd blitz the gap, bump and run the TE or cover a RB. Juqua and Kearse were used in a variety of different ways when they lined up as the joker. Basically, the joker has to be a versatile athlete with good blitzing skills and change of direction.

You are correct sir, they can also line up over a slot receiver in a pinch usually.