PDA

View Full Version : Which of the three Texas HS running backs is the best

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Sam McGuffie of Cypress Fairbanks HS, Jeremy Hills of Elsik HS, or Jermie Calhoun of Van HS?

I believe the three are the top 3 ranked backs nationally.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Actually it's Darrell Scott, Jermie Calhoun, and Richard Samuel.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-16-2007, 11:17 PM
So Texas has five of the best running backs in the nation? wow!

Axl Rose
07-16-2007, 11:26 PM
I vote Cyrus Gray.

coCANES17
07-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Id take Justin Johnson(Gilmer High School) over all of them.

RedLionAle
07-17-2007, 12:04 AM
Calhoun is the best in Texas, followed by McGuffie and then Hills. Darrell Scott is BY FAR the best RB in the nation, though.

HoopsDemon12
07-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Actually it's Darrell Scott, Jermie Calhoun, and Richard Samuel.

darrell scott is from cali.... but he is the top prospect.... he was meaning the top three TEXAS runningback rated nationally

But ya i think calhoun is better at this point... closely followed by mcGuffie... that kid is amazing

Brent
07-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Yeah, Darrell Scott is from California. I hope he ends up at Cal. And to answer the question, it's Calhoun. The homer call would be Derrick Hall but I don't know if he will be a RB.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-17-2007, 02:24 PM
darrell scott is from cali.... but he is the top prospect.... he was meaning the top three TEXAS runningback rated nationally

But ya i think calhoun is better at this point... closely followed by mcGuffie... that kid is amazingYes but he said nationally.

HoopsDemon12
07-17-2007, 02:27 PM
Yes but he said nationally.

i know but look at the following posts though... people assumed you meant he was from texas.. i was just clearing it up

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
07-17-2007, 04:24 PM
I meant how Texas has three of the top rated running backs in the nation.

HoopsDemon12
07-17-2007, 06:29 PM
I meant how Texas has three of the top rated running backs in the nation.

thats what i thought you meant... but i know how people could misturde the way you said it if they were tired or not paying attention

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-17-2007, 10:41 PM
I meant how Texas has three of the top rated running backs in the nation.OK I read it wrong.

mqtirishfan
07-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Justin Johnson is my choice. I like his overall skill set more than Calhoun, and I still don't buy into the Sam McGuffie hype.

Sniper
07-20-2007, 01:19 AM
Justin Johnson is my choice. I like his overall skill set more than Calhoun, and I still don't buy into the Sam McGuffie hype.

Why's that? He put up obscene stats at the 5A level and is ridiculously fast and agile.

V. Young
07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
Its jermie. He is gonne tear it up at Okla.

GSOT
07-21-2007, 02:24 PM
I vote for McGuffie...only reason people doubt him, is because he is white.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4IJ17ODo_s

HoopsDemon12
07-21-2007, 02:27 PM

i dont doubt him at all... i just like calhoun at this point... McGuffie will be amazing i think.. he gives us a shot at having a decent white runningback in the NFL... there hasnt been one for awhile

GSOT
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
i dont doubt him at all... i just like calhoun at this point... McGuffie will be amazing i think.. he gives us a shot at having a decent white runningback in the NFL... there hasnt been one for awhile

Yep. Me being a white guy would love to root for a white running back in the NFL. It has been so damn long.

Sniper
07-21-2007, 02:38 PM

Glad someone said it. If a black guy were doing that everyone would be soiling themselves.

GSOT
07-22-2007, 02:48 AM
Glad someone said it. If a black guy were doing that everyone would be soiling themselves.

Just tellin it like it is.

DoWnThEfiElD
07-22-2007, 04:31 PM
They were, his name was Noel Devine.

Only difference are McGuffie is bigger, plays against better comp., and doesn't have the character issues. Other then that their games will translate very similarly to college.

HoopsDemon12
07-22-2007, 08:01 PM
They were, his name was Noel Devine.

Only difference are McGuffie is bigger, plays against better comp., and doesn't have the character issues. Other then that their games will translate very similarly to college.

ya... i think he has teh most potential of a white running back that we have seen in a long long time... he can get bigger... he is extremly athletic... and he knows how to play.. if he puts up those kind of stats again.. i think he has a shot at being not only the top all purpose back in the nation.. but maybe 2nd or 3rd best RB in the nation... i dont think he has a shot at 1 because scott is pretty much entrenched there.. but you never know... caleb king dropped off hard... scott may do the same

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2007, 12:27 PM
But ya i think calhoun is better at this point... closely followed by mcGuffie... that kid is amazing

That's the white RB, right? McGuffie? ESPN has him ranked #97 overall. That's ridiculous. Listen to this scouting report "McGuffie is an interesting player to study because so many of his traits lead you to believe he is a blue-collar overacheiver..."

Really? What makes you say that he's an overachiever? His amazing speed? His leaping ability? His great acceleration and change of direction? No? Maybe his skin color? That makes me sick.

nobodyinparticular
07-23-2007, 12:28 PM

See my post I just made...

jared
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
That's the white RB, right? McGuffie? ESPN has him ranked #97 overall. That's ridiculous. Listen to this scouting report "McGuffie is an interesting player to study because so many of his traits lead you to believe he is a blue-collar overacheiver..."

Really? What makes you say that he's an overachiever? His amazing speed? His leaping ability? His great acceleration and change of direction? No? Maybe his skin color? That makes me sick.

All I can say is thank God for sites like youtube. Now I don't have to rely on scouting "experts" to try and explain to me who's fast and who's just an overachiever (namely, anybody who's white apparently). Good luck to Sam, I hope he breaks down some barriers.

Sniper
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM

Great post man. It's ridiculous. Like I said earlier if a black kid had that kind of agility and speed (see Devine, Noel) only McGuffie isn't a complete dumbass in the classroom, people would be going nuts over him. Oh well come to Michigan Sam and be a stud.

GSOT
07-30-2007, 06:07 AM
It has been happening for years, if a White guy is fast tehn he has sneaky speed, and if he has a great season then he is an over achiever.

Sniper
07-30-2007, 06:57 AM
It has been happening for years, if a White guy is fast tehn he has sneaky speed, and if he has a great season then he is an over achiever.

And Sam is Blue! :) We'll take this "blue-collar overachiever" and make him score lots of TDs :) I don't think Sam's 4.32 will be considered sneaky speed any time soon. I heard he timed exceptionally well in the shuttle as well, which is a testament to his agility and quickness, as if the youtube clips weren't enough.

mqtirishfan
07-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Why's that? He put up obscene stats at the 5A level and is ridiculously fast and agile.

Much like Devine, I don't see him playing on Sundays, and I don't even see him as a full time starter at the college level. I think he could be a great situational college player, but not anything else.

P-L
07-30-2007, 12:09 PM
Much like Devine, I don't see him playing on Sundays, and I don't even see him as a full time starter at the college level. I think he could be a great situational college player, but not anything else.

Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that way?

YAYareaRB
07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
Calhoun.. Nuff Said

ironman4579
07-30-2007, 01:01 PM
And Sam is Blue! :) We'll take this "blue-collar overachiever" and make him score lots of TDs :) I don't think Sam's 4.32 will be considered sneaky speed any time soon. I heard he timed exceptionally well in the shuttle as well, which is a testament to his agility and quickness, as if the youtube clips weren't enough.

According to Rivals, a 3.83 shuttle, 41 inch vert, and 355 max on the bench press.

HoopsDemon12
07-30-2007, 02:05 PM
According to Rivals, a 3.83 shuttle, 41 inch vert, and 355 max on the bench press.

wow im speachless... who cares how much the sites value him... the coaches hardly pay atention when they recruit to the sites... IF AT ALL.... their college scouts are better judges IMO... he will go somewehre no matter what the fan fare and become a terrific back.. watch

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-30-2007, 02:38 PM
According to Rivals, a 3.83 shuttle, 41 inch vert, and 355 max on the bench press.I don't believe those numbers. Not because he's white, but because he's in high school. It doesn't seem possible.

ironman4579
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't believe those numbers. Not because he's white, but because he's in high school. It doesn't seem possible.

According to Rivals, those are event verified numbers.

Sniper
07-30-2007, 03:55 PM
According to Rivals, those are event verified numbers.

Dude 3.83 is so disgusting! Haha. What a freak of nature. Check out this run where he bounces off 5-6 guys and runs for a 90 yard touchdown. What I like a lot about McGuffie is he once he finds the hole opened up by his blockers, he hits it so quickly.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-hoQJPcj2qs

gstock05
07-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I would put it Calhoun 1a. Mcguffie 1b. and Johnson 2.

mqtirishfan
07-31-2007, 12:39 AM
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel that way?

I don't see him as big enough, personally. He could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

HoopsDemon12
07-31-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't see him as big enough, personally. He could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

he is 6'0 188lbs going into grade 12..... you dont think he could bulk up at all?

Sniper
07-31-2007, 01:19 AM
he is 6'0 188lbs going into grade 12..... you dont think he could bulk up at all?

Plus some of his runs he's draggin a couple defenders along for the ride....He's plenty strong, he benches like 355. He'll go into UM at 6 foot 200 pounds. Big enough for me.

ironman4579
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Looking back at what Reggie Bush was listed at as a senior(so one year older than McGuffie is now) he was listed by Rivals at 6 feet, 180 lbs. When McGuffie is listed in various places as either 6'0" 188 lbs, or 5'11 1/2", 190 lbs, that argument doesn't hold water for me.

jared
07-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Complaining about HS prospects being 10-20 pounds under "ideal NFL weight" is pretty lame. He's 17, his weight isn't fixed at 188 for eternity.

HoopsDemon12
07-31-2007, 08:06 PM
He's 17

oh god he is the same age as me... no matter how many times i hear that... it makes me sad...

LonghornsLegend
09-21-2007, 12:39 PM
LOL@you guys...now the scouts have something against white athletes lol...or you get ranked an extra 20 spots higher if your black, whatever floats your boat...guess it makes white people feel better about themselves

Sniper
09-21-2007, 01:26 PM
LOL@you guys...now the scouts have something against white athletes lol...or you get ranked an extra 20 spots higher if your black, whatever floats your boat...guess it makes white people feel better about themselves

You really don't think he's ranked lower than he should be? His film is about the same as Noel Devine and Devine was ranked significantly higher than McGuffie (#15, 5'8, 175) McGuffie also plays much stiffer competition. That and the fact that McGuffie is a rarity in college football (a white running back who runs in the low 4.3s) and that makes me think he's being underrated.

nhlkdog411
09-26-2007, 09:16 PM
yah seriously, its pretty easy to see that there is some racial slotting/underrating of white players if you aren't blinded by feelings that whites are always with the advantage..its not like its a conspiracy its just a general perception. ex. white guys are sneaky fast, hard working, smart, tough, blue-collar, lunch pail players etc. while blacks are fast, amazingly athletic, elusive, specimens with unlimited potential

Gchu83
10-16-2007, 02:22 PM
1. Calhoun
2. Johnson
3. McGuffie
4. Hills

nhlkdog411
10-22-2007, 08:39 PM
just to point out, McGuffies shuttle time of 3.83 would I'm 99% certain have been the top shuttle time in the nfl draft this past year

V. Young
10-22-2007, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2gplt2dyc

Wow athlete!

Sam Mcguffie

BerninWI
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Did you miss the part where he runs a 4.32 40, 3.83 shuttle, and vert is 41 inches; yet he's tabbed places as an underacheiver. Underacheiver is a term reserved for players who don't have the physical abilities but overcome with effort and intelligence. What exactly does he have to overcome with those freakish OBJECTIVE numbers? Those contradictions are intrinsic proof that he's being judged on the color of his skin. You know what's also objective? 3,121 yards and 43 TD's. In Montana? No, in an upper level division in Texas. Not to mention vision, light feet, cutback ability, speed in burst, high top speed, and decent tackle breaking ability; which are all subjective attributes which are readily observible in his videos. Given all those factors, as well as him not being an academic risk, what comparable black running backs aren't being ranked in the top 100-150 even? If everyone was shown his video without knowing his skin color, they'd assume he was the Reggie Bush/Noel Devine. They weren't excluded from top 150's and Devine had major grade problems (many services factor in grades because they know there will be a distinct possibility that player never sees a football field).

I'm assuming you're a little munchkin by your word choice and grammar, but how would you have received black quarterbacks back in the day being underrated and questioned whether they had the smarts for the position when they had high GPA's, SAT's, and Wonderlic scores? That's basically equivalent to calling Sam McGuffie an "overacheiver" when he has his measurables. I'd imagine it would have been annoying and you would have pointed out it was unjust. Would you then appreciate it if your comments were responded to with statements like, "whatever makes black people feel better about themselves"?

Black players not being given a chance at QB was an obvious phenomenon years ago, but thankfully it has largely gone by the wayside. Converting white running backs to other positions has not. Neither has cornerbacks. Speaking of corners, what about Jason Sehorn being judged as an overrated/inadequate white corner following major leg injuries? Nevermind that he was a virtual lock down corner when he was 100 percent. Both his injuries and prior form were erased from their minds when judging him as an overrated white corner.

I hate that he's going to be a Wolverine, as a Badger fan, but you have to give credit where it's due. McGuffie is a special talent.