PDA

View Full Version : Fins Cut Culpepper

PackerLegend
07-17-2007, 04:14 PM
from profootballtalk.com

POSTED 4:11 p.m. EDT; UPDATED 4:43 p.m. EDT, July 17, 2007

FINS CUT CULPEPPER

The Miami Dolphins have announced that the team has terminated the contract of quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

The news was disclosed in a one-sentence release from the team.

Culpepper's grievance against the team was scheduled to be heard on July 18. We assume that the grievance will not proceed, given that the goal was to force the franchise to allow him to participate in team drills during training camp, which opens later this month.

The move ends Culpepper's rocky tenure with the Fins after only one season. Acquired in a trade for a second-round pick, Culpepper was ineffective in four starts, and ultimately was benched. He required further surgery on a knee that was shredded in November 2005, and did not return.

His fate in South Florida was sealed after the team landed Trent Green. But instead of merely cutting Culpepper loose, the Dolphins hoped to finagle a draft pick for his services. At a mandatory minicamp last month, the team refused to allow Culpepper to participate in team drills, since a serious injury would have put the team on the hook for his entire $5.5 million salary. The move prompted Culpepper's grievance.

We previously heard that the Dolphins were suspicious that Culpepper's "cut me don't trade me" stance was the result of tampering by one of the teams that could be interested in acquiring his services.

Some league insiders believe that Culpepper is destined to land in Jacksonville, where he'd have a good shot at becoming the starter in 2008. We've heard that he's interested in joining the Packers, too.

With Rams quarterback Marc Bulger recently hinting about a possible holdout, St. Louis coach Scott Linehan might be toying with the possibility of bringing Culpepper in with a one-year deal aimed at protecting the franchise against the worst-case scenario with Bulger, whose financial expectations surely have increased in the wake of the Dwight Freeney deal.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-17-2007, 04:19 PM
wow Im so suprised Dante was cut.

PackerLegend
07-17-2007, 04:23 PM
wow Im so suprised Dante was cut.

are you being serious or sarcastic? lol I cant really tell

keylime_5
07-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Expect "Jaguars sign Culpepper" in the next couple weeks before training camp to pop up.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-17-2007, 04:34 PM
are you being serious or sarcastic? lol I cant really tell
sarcastic.

bsaza2358
07-17-2007, 04:37 PM
No surprise at all on my end. Really more surprised that it took them this long to cut the guy. There was no turning back once they traded for Trent Green. Might as well have just let Dante go and move it from there. No team was going to trade for Culpepper when it was obvious he would be a FA.

Man_Of_Steel
07-17-2007, 05:16 PM
Expect "Jaguars sign Culpepper" in the next couple weeks before training camp to pop up.

Yea, for some reason though I feel like Detriot may grab him.

diabsoule
07-17-2007, 05:51 PM
I don't know whose going to grab him. Maybe Houston?

Crazy_Chris
07-17-2007, 05:56 PM
If the Jags tell daunte they want him on the team i imagine he would jump at the oppurtunity to stay in his home state of florida and also Mike Tice is with the Jags now so that will make it an easy choice for him

Shiver
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
I don't know whose going to grab him. Maybe Houston?

They gave up equivalent to a mid-1st round pick to get their current starting Quarterback.

HoopsDemon12
07-17-2007, 06:36 PM
not surprising... i really think he is going to have a hard time returning to his old form... i mean its like he woke up one day and forgot how to play QB...

Crazy_Chris
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
His biggest problem now is probably a loss of confidence in his abilities as a franchise QB

CC.SD
07-17-2007, 06:40 PM
They gave up equivalent to a mid-1st round pick to get their current starting Quarterback.

That one gets me every time. If the Pack sign him I will seriously feel bad for Aaron Rodgers. Worse, I mean. Detroit's not a bad destination, but if he actually got something going offensively in Jacksonville it could mean trouble for the league.

diabsoule
07-17-2007, 07:50 PM

I know that but who do they have as a quality backup? Sage Rosenfels, Bradlee Van Pelt, and Quinton Porter are the backups to Matt Schaub. Why not sign Culpepper to be the back-up? He can't demand a huge salary since he hasn't played in 2 years and Houston could use him as an insurance policy in case Schaub goes down. It would be like Carolina signing David Carr to backup Jake Delhomme. It makes good sense to me.

princefielder28
07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
He'll be a nice 2nd option somewhere

Shiver
07-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Maybe Tennessee will take him, with the Madden curse in mind.

etk
07-17-2007, 08:29 PM
I bet you Gruden has him on the other line as we speak. Garcia, Plummer & Culpepper, it's his dream come true. 3 mediocre QBs>any great QB.

Splat
07-17-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm glad it worked out for him good luck DC.

raiderfan_89
07-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Falcons anybody?
that's my woody paige toss up of the day.

CC.SD
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Falcons anybody?
that's my woody paige toss up of the day.

The Daunte and Joey reunion tour.

raiderfan_89
07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
The Daunte and Joey reunion tour.yes,very much so.

WMD
07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
Yea, for some reason though I feel like Detriot may grab him.

I doubt Detroit signs Daunte.. Coaching Staff seems to be high on Dan Orlovsky to be able to take over if Kitna goes down....

Crazy_Chris
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
As a vikings fan I hope daunte doesn't sign with the lions or Packers as i would be forced into hating him.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Falcons anybody?
that's my woody paige toss up of the day.It makes alot of sense considering Vick may be out for a while.

iloxygenil
07-17-2007, 11:36 PM
I'd be surprised if the Falcons name doesn't start swarming on this topic. As soon as I heard both stories that was the first thing I thought...doesn't mean much, but it'd be nice

07-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Pep does not seem to fit Gruden's style of offense. That is a reason he would not head over to TB. I do see the Jag's, and Falcons to be in the mix (pending the Vick ruling). Another possibility I see is the Raiders, as he and Jamarcus play relatively the same game. Or, in C-Pep's case, played.

DeathbyStat
07-18-2007, 07:30 AM
I think he should go with the rams

eacantdraft
07-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I think he should go with the rams

The Rams are not going to take him. They have Ryan Fitzgerald who had a good game as a rookie two years ago and Gus Ferrotte.

Culpepper most likely will end up in Jacksonville. Other possibilities are Detroit, Kansas City.

LionSmack
07-18-2007, 08:56 AM
No way he'd come to Detroit, most quality veteran players look at the Lions as a black hole of losing. Only way he'd come here is if he was guaranteed the starting position once he was healthy, and maybe not even then. He wants to be in Florida anyway. Atlanta is probably close enough too.

Scar
07-18-2007, 01:13 PM
The Falcons would be fools to have not called Culpepper already.

JF4
07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Personally, I think it would be a smart move by the Raiders to pick him up. But I can't see it happening. I still think Dante has some game left in him and he can come in and help JR become a much better QB. Many people have already compared the two QB's because of the way they play, I think having Culpepper with him would take alot of pressure of Russel and alow him to learn from a QB that has gone through the same thing as him.

MasterShake
07-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Trading for Culpepper instead of signing Drew Brees is the Franchise-Destroying-Bonehead move of the decade and one of the worst moves of all time.

Congrats Saban, you will have your place in history!

The Unseen
07-18-2007, 02:29 PM
The issue with Culpepper to Jax is that he would (initially) be a back-up. He is set on becoming a starter, so he may not accept it.

Brent
07-18-2007, 02:44 PM
There doesn't really seem to be a good fit for him any where.

JagHombre22
07-18-2007, 04:00 PM
I really don't see Jax resigning Leftwich unless he has a monster year...which would mean (if they signed Culpepper) that he'd be the starter next year...it's a good situation for him if he does sign with the Jags...

LonghornsLegend
07-18-2007, 05:13 PM
that would be pretty interesting if the falcons went after him...just hard for me to see him going to the Jags, he's going to give you pretty much what the other 3 will, if healthy leftwich is just as good as culpepper...you still have to worry about health with both players

Shiver
07-18-2007, 05:30 PM
There doesn't really seem to be a good fit for him any where.

I wish Atlanta went after him. If he is healthy, which he says he finally is, then he would be perfect for Bobby Petrino's offensive system. The aforementioned system is predicated on throwing deep down the field and getting it to your playmakers. Sound familar?

Crazy_Chris
07-18-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm kind of surprised the Baltimore's name has not come up in this thread yet, i heard john clayton mention it as a possibility and it really does make a bit of sense McNair doesn't have much left and Boller will probably be gone after this year... i still think there are stronger canidates out there but baltimore is definatly a possibility

raiderfan_89
07-18-2007, 08:14 PM
Falcons.As soon as I heard the Vick story I automatically told my bro. the Falcons would go out and sign D.C.

NFLBOY
07-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Falcons.As soon as I heard the Vick story I automatically told my bro. the Falcons would go out and sign D.C. I said the same thing. Besides, the Falcons need a qb who can actually hit his wr's. That's something they haven't had in a starter for a long, long time. I'm sure they wish they wouldn't have wasted all that money on this goof and would have been able to keep Shaub.

diabsoule
07-18-2007, 09:05 PM
I think after the shenanigans that Vick has got himself into recently it seems that the Falcons are going to be a definite contender in the running to land former Pro-Bowl quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

Shiver
07-18-2007, 10:13 PM
I said the same thing. Besides, the Falcons need a qb who can actually hit his wr's. That's something they haven't had in a starter for a long, long time. I'm sure they wish they wouldn't have wasted all that money on this goof and would have been able to keep Shaub.

I don't want to hear any of that. At the time:

1. Vick was in no trouble with the law.
2. The Texans gave up the equivalent to a mid-1st round pick.
3. Everyone here thought the Texans got fleeced.

I hope no one flip flops in hindsight.