PDA

View Full Version : The Best DT in NFL?

Philliez01
07-18-2007, 11:28 AM
Well I think this could be a good conversational piece. We just saw Cory Redding get signed to a big deal and surely Tommie Harris and Co. will follow with an even bigger deal. Now, who do you guys think is the best DT in football? I know it's a harder thing because of systems, as a 3-4 NT will have a different role than a Cover 2 UT. But if you had to pick one guy for your team who would it be? Jamal Williams? Tommie Harris? Casey Hampton? Haloti Ngata? Kevin Williams? Shaun Rogers? I'm already forgetting names. . . .

Moses
07-18-2007, 11:30 AM
Kevin Williams or John Henderson probably.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Im gonna go with Marcus Stroud, or Kevin Williams.

Sniper
07-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Either of the Jags.

JF4
07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm gonna have to say Kevin Williams or John Henderson. Both are top notch DT's in both pass-rushing and runstopping. They both are monstrous also.

Man_Of_Steel
07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Im gonna keep Hampton and add crazy John Henderson.

Scar
07-18-2007, 11:52 AM
If he comes back healthy, Tommie Harris.

Staubach12
07-18-2007, 11:54 AM
John "Eat your babies" Hernderson. It is a close race, however.

Watchman
07-18-2007, 11:55 AM
John Henderson

Woody56
07-18-2007, 11:58 AM
John Henderson or Jamal Williams

Hawk
07-18-2007, 12:00 PM
Tommie Harris

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-18-2007, 12:03 PM
I'm also a John Henderson Fan, but firstly i would take Jamal Williams because he can be the man who singlehandedly stops the run for a defense. Gotta respect those 3-4 Nose Tackles

Splat
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
3-4 = Jamal Williams

4-3 = Tommie Harris

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Henderson or Harris. Either one of them and our defense wouldn't have blown chunks for the last 5 or so games of the year.

LionSmack
07-18-2007, 12:13 PM
The sad thing for Lions fans (one of many) is that Rogers could be right up there with any of them. When he's on, he's unstoppable. He played up to his potential for exactly one game last year against Seattle, and then disappeared.

Anyway I really like Marcus Stroud, but I don't watch too many Jags games so I would have a hard time deciding between him and Henderson.

Pat and Kevin Williams are both good and all... but I dunno, I don't see either one of them as the best DT. Maybe Kevin. I'd take Tommie Harris over either of them.

OhioState
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
i'll go with Stroud followed closely by Tommie Harris

-black
07-18-2007, 12:59 PM
at I time before injuries I would have said Kris Jenkins....now I will say Tommie Harris

Ravens1991
07-18-2007, 01:01 PM
I like John Henderson style the most. But probably Harris is the best.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Im gonna be different and say John Henderson.

HoopsDemon12
07-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Im gonna say its a close 4 horse race... The Jag boys, Tommie Harris, Kevin Williams

keylime_5
07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
I'd take Seymour over all of them, even though he is listed as a DE in a 3-4 (but a 3-4 DE is basically a DT in most cases anyways). Probably this is how I'd rank them:

1-Seymour
2-Henderson
2-Stroud
4-Harris
5-K.Williams
6-Hampton

bored of education
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Hendo
Tommie
Stroud
Hampton
Seymour
Williams
Tank Tyler

Brent
07-18-2007, 03:17 PM
Steve Emtman

BamaFalcon59
07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Kevin Williams, Marcus Stroud, Tommie Harris, John Henderson, Gravy Jackson.

Gravy- lead the league in tackles for loss last year for a defensive tackle. Brought (along with Milloy) our run defense from worst yard per carry aloud (in 2005) to top 10 in yards allowed (in 2006). So, homerism with facts.

Cashmoney
07-18-2007, 03:44 PM
fat alberts in a contract year so hopefully he'll stomp less heads this year and make more sacks.

Brent
07-18-2007, 03:51 PM
Gravy Jackson
Is his first name actually Gravy or is that a nickname that became normal like Pac-Man Jones?

Cashmoney
07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Is his first name actually Gravy or is that a nickname that became normal like Pac-Man Jones?

im pretty sure that was a typo, or he was making fun of how tremendously fat that dude is.

PackerLegend
07-18-2007, 04:08 PM
im pretty sure that was a typo, or he was making fun of how tremendously fat that dude is.

ya its Grady Jackson but personaly I like Gravy Jackson better lol

Brent
07-18-2007, 04:10 PM
ya its Grady Jackson but personaly I like Gravy Jackson better lol
That's unfortunate, I was hoping there was a guy actually named Gravy because that would be too awesome.

Go_Eagles77
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
Stroud, we need a top-notch run-stopper

Dam8610
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Tampa 2 UT = Tommie Harris
4-3 (any scheme) NT = John Henderson
3-4 NT = Jamal Williams

For the Colts, I'd take Tommie Harris without a second thought.

The Unseen
07-18-2007, 04:29 PM
John Henderson. Marcus Stroud, while very good, is somewhat overrated by national types. At one point he was the better player, but the past few years John has been better and has deserved the Pro Bowl over Marcus.

BamaFalcon59
07-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Nickname. He is gigantic.

BamaFalcon59
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM

Yeah. But it's 90% beast.

BigJohn98
07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Henderson is the best and most underrated d-tackle in the league.

Crazy_Chris
07-18-2007, 05:24 PM
Its close race between John Henderson, Tommie Harris, and Kevin Williams. But i am gong to have to take Kevin Williams.

Shiver
07-18-2007, 05:36 PM
That's unfortunate, I was hoping there was a guy actually named Gravy because that would be too awesome.

He led the NFL in tackles for loss. The best way to quantify the impact Jackson provided is this:

'05 Falcons

26th in rushing yards per game against
32nd in yards per carry against

'06 Falcons

9th in rushing yards per game against
6th in yards per carry against

The Falcons gave up 4.7 YPC against in '05, and 3.7 YPC against in '06. The Falcons added Lawyer Milloy and Grady Jackson and that's it. In fact they played most of the year with no names like Josh Mallard and Paul Carrington at the Defensive End positions, and with Rod Coleman out.

princefielder28
07-18-2007, 05:47 PM
Even though he's a viking, I'm a big fan of Kevin Willimas. This guy is a playmaker and the best in my eyes. Tommie Harris is right behind him.

no love
07-18-2007, 05:48 PM
3-4 NT = Jamal Williams

I second this. Although Kevin Williams definitely is right behind Harris, bc of his versatility to play end if need be.

Geo
07-18-2007, 05:54 PM
3-4 NT = Jamal Williams

I'd take Jamal Williams and Richard Seymour over Harris (or maybe Williams as he's been more durable), but it's no secret I would want to tweak the Cover 2/Tampa 2 scheme. As is, it's potentially too flawed for my personal liking.

with Rod Coleman out.
I don't recall Coleman's injuries, but he missed one game in 2006. (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/133255/gamelogs/2006) (I only checked because I hadn't realized he missed any games.)

Shiver
07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Even though he "played," he was a phantom contributor for about four games. He was hobbled through the middle part of the season, I should have said.

Geo
07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
I thought as much, looking at his 06 gamelog. I must have missed his being injured or forgot it altogether, although I distinctly remember him making plays against the Cowboys on NFLN (when he looked to have been in better health later in the year) and Dick Vermeil praising him.

Shiver
07-18-2007, 06:24 PM
He made a resurgence late in the year; unfortunately the season was over at that point.

CC.SD
07-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Williams and Harris are quick, and definitely beastly, but I just can't see any DT doing their job better than Jamal Williams does. He just crushes two or three guys at a time, every play.

Henderson is the only competition to Williams IMO.

BrownsTown
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
3-4 is Jamal Williams, but Casey Hampton is a close second
4-3 is Marcus Stroud and John Henderson tied.

Overall I'd say Jamal Williams.

TheChampIsHere
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
I think its a toss up between Tommie Harris and Jamal Williams, depending on what kind of scheme you run, with an honorable mention to John Henderson, who is a great 4-3 NT, which makes him hard to compare to a penetrator like Tommie Harris.

remix 6
07-18-2007, 08:37 PM
I think its a toss up between Tommie Harris and Jamal Williams, depending on what kind of scheme you run, with an honorable mention to John Henderson, who is a great 4-3 NT, which makes him hard to compare to a penetrator like Tommie Harris.

the top 3 are

Kevin Williams, Jamal Williams and Tommie Harris (no order)

yourfavestoner
07-18-2007, 08:47 PM
3-4 NT = Jamal Williams

Tommie Harris would suddenly make that defense frightening.

I rode the Colts defense hard last season, but I have to admit that I may be re-adjusting my position on them. They made a very loud statement with the way they played in the playoffs. After all, they were middle of the pack in 05, when Bob Sanders was healthy all year (absolutely the most important person to their defense). If they could ever get an elite talent at DT, I think it'd make them a consistent top 7 unit. They have pieces in place, they just need a couple more.

Shiver
07-18-2007, 08:48 PM
the top 3 are

Kevin Williams, Jamal Williams and Tommie Harris (no order)

John Henderson will eat your children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaK_TArMLfM)

princefielder28
07-18-2007, 08:49 PM

I rode the Colts defense hard last season, but I have to admit that I may be re-adjusting my position on them. They made a very loud statement with the way they played in the playoffs. After all, they were middle of the pack in 05, when Bob Sanders was healthy all year (absolutely the most important person to their defense). If they could ever get an elite talent at DT, I think it'd make them a consistent top 7 unit.

Indianapolis has a very solid D-Line, but when it comes to replacing Cato June and the members they lost in that secondary, I don't know if they added good enough replacements to make up for the loss. Their offense will be great, but I think it'll be more about their pass defnse this year than their run defense that will cause themselves problems.

remix 6
07-18-2007, 08:52 PM
John Henderson will eat your children (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaK_TArMLfM)

i know who he is. hes top 5 but not 3

yourfavestoner
07-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Indianapolis has a very solid D-Line, but when it comes to replacing Cato June and the members they lost in that secondary, I don't know if they added good enough replacements to make up for the loss. Their offense will be great, but I think it'll be more about their pass defnse this year than their run defense that will cause themselves problems.

I dunno about that. I personally believe that Freddy Keiaho will be an upgrade to June, who played terribly against the run last year. They Colts seem to lose players in the secondary every year, and then replace them with young guys that fit their Cover Two scheme. Bob Sanders is a top five safety. Antoine Bethea showed flashes of being a great centerfielder, which allowed Sanders to wreak havock around the line of scrimmage in the playoffs. Marlin Jackson is developing into a very nice player as well.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-18-2007, 08:56 PM
The most underrated DT, possibly the most underrated defensive player in the NFL is Kelly Gregg.

yourfavestoner
07-18-2007, 08:58 PM

You must be joking...
Also, consider that Henderson would very, very likely be a dominating nose in the 3-4.

Ward
07-18-2007, 09:04 PM
The most underrated DT, possibly the most underrated defensive player in the NFL is Kelly Gregg.

Agreed.

If I had to pick just one guy to play tackle right now, it'd be Richard Seymour.

yourfavestoner
07-18-2007, 09:07 PM
Agreed.

If I had to pick just one guy to play tackle right now, it'd be Richard Seymour.

Can't argue with that.

God, think back when Georgia had Stroud and Seymour on the same line. And Tennessee also had Henderson and Haynesworth at that time as well.

Dam8610
07-18-2007, 09:11 PM

That's exactly why I'd take him without a second thought, and why I'll be a very unhappy person if the 49ers are picking in round 1 next year and Glenn Dorsey and/or DeMario Pressley are on the board.

I rode the Colts defense hard last season, but I have to admit that I may be re-adjusting my position on them. They made a very loud statement with the way they played in the playoffs. After all, they were middle of the pack in 05, when Bob Sanders was healthy all year (absolutely the most important person to their defense). If they could ever get an elite talent at DT, I think it'd make them a consistent top 7 unit. They have pieces in place, they just need a couple more.

Middle of the pack in 2005? Maybe in run defense (where they ranked 17th), but rarely will you have a Tampa 2 team with a great run defense. Other than that, They were a Top 5 defense in both scoring (2nd) and yardage (5th) that year, so, maybe it's just me, but I'd say that defense was just a little bit better than middle of the pack. The 2005 defense showed what a healthy Sanders and an elite DT (Corey Simon that year) can do for this defense.

remix 6
07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
You must be joking...
Also, consider that Henderson would very, very likely be a dominating nose in the 3-4.

woooah jeez..im sorry that i think Harris, Williams-Williams are better. like i said..he can be at 4 or 5 but my top 3 are the above in no order

Shiver
07-18-2007, 10:15 PM
The best DT in the NFL is Richard Seymour, John Henderson second. That is my take on this.

Dam8610
07-18-2007, 10:42 PM
IMO, "Best" is too hard to quantify at this position, given the entirely different roles each type of DT is asked to play. Tommie Harris and Jamal Williams are both great at their respective jobs, but I think both would look average in the other's role.

yourfavestoner
07-18-2007, 10:48 PM
That's exactly why I'd take him without a second thought, and why I'll be a very unhappy person if the 49ers are picking in round 1 next year and Glenn Dorsey and/or DeMario Pressley are on the board.

Middle of the pack in 2005? Maybe in run defense (where they ranked 17th), but rarely will you have a Tampa 2 team with a great run defense. Other than that, They were a Top 5 defense in both scoring (2nd) and yardage (5th) that year, so, maybe it's just me, but I'd say that defense was just a little bit better than middle of the pack. The 2005 defense showed what a healthy Sanders and an elite DT (Corey Simon that year) can do for this defense.

Yup. Run defense is what I meant.

Shiver
07-18-2007, 10:58 PM
IMO, "Best" is too hard to quantify at this position, given the entirely different roles each type of DT is asked to play. Tommie Harris and Jamal Williams are both great at their respective jobs, but I think both would look average in the other's role.

That's why I take Richard Seymour and John Henderson. Both have the ability to play all across D-Line formations; vis a vis 1-tech, 3-tech, 5-tech.

bantx
07-18-2007, 11:01 PM
tommie harris is definitly quickest and fastest.

its between henderson, stroud, and seymore. its real close for me

TheChampIsHere
07-18-2007, 11:09 PM

John Henderson IMO is far better than any DT in this game aside from Jamal Williams and Tommie Harris. To me, it goes those 3 guys and then everyone else is a major notch below and that next notch down consists of guys like Kevin Williams, Marcus Stroud and Casey Hampton. And I dont know why Richard Seymour keeps getting brought up. Yes, he can play DT and hes a damn good one when he plays the position, but thats not the position he plays. When we talk about the best WRs should we bring up Reggie Bush b/c we think he could be an all-pro WR?

Shiver
07-18-2007, 11:18 PM
A 3-4 DE is typically a tall, long, big 4-3 DT. It's one of my pet peeves that people don't classify players like Seymour, Castillo, etc, who all played 4-3 in college at DT, and play 4-3 DT on passing downs, are penalized because they play in an atypical scheme.

TheChampIsHere
07-19-2007, 12:10 AM
A 3-4 DE is typically a tall, long, big 4-3 DT. It's one of my pet peeves that people don't classify players like Seymour, Castillo, etc, who all played 4-3 in college at DT, and play 4-3 DT on passing downs, are penalized because they play in an atypical scheme.

theyre not penalized, Im just not gonna include them in the discussion for best DT when thats not the position they play. Seymour has played some DT in the pros and he was great at it and Castillo Im sure would be a great DT, but Im not gonna include them in the discussion for best DT when they dont play that position. I was drawing the comparison to Reggie Bush....I expect Reggie could be an all-pro wideout if that was his position, but his position is running back. When someone tells me to talk about the best wideout in the game, Im not gonna bring up Reggie Bush, just because he has the skills of a great wideout. Seymour and Castillo in my book are elite 3-4 DEs, yes its a category of its own because it is a different position from a cover 2 DE or a 4-3 DT, but I dont see it as a penalization to those players, I just think when were talking about who is the best player at a certain position we stick to players who play that position every sunday

Hines
07-19-2007, 12:12 AM
for a 3-4 which i would run if i was a coach it would be a close race between jamaal williams,casey hampton,john henderson,and stroud

Ravens1991
07-19-2007, 12:39 AM
I would narrow it down to just Jamal and Casey because Marcus and John havent had expierence in a 3-4 even though they would probably do good in it.

Dam8610
07-19-2007, 12:52 AM
Yup. Run defense is what I meant.

Ah, well then, yes I'd agree, but really mediocre run defense is all the unit needs to be great overall.

That's why I take Richard Seymour and John Henderson. Both have the ability to play all across D-Line formations; vis a vis 1-tech, 3-tech, 5-tech.

I have a hard time believing Seymour could play 5-tech very well or Henderson could play 1-tech very well.

Shiver
07-19-2007, 12:57 AM
theyre not penalized, Im just not gonna include them in the discussion for best DT when thats not the position they play. Seymour has played some DT in the pros and he was great at it and Castillo Im sure would be a great DT, but Im not gonna include them in the discussion for best DT when they dont play that position. I was drawing the comparison to Reggie Bush....I expect Reggie could be an all-pro wideout if that was his position, but his position is running back. When someone tells me to talk about the best wideout in the game, Im not gonna bring up Reggie Bush, just because he has the skills of a great wideout. Seymour and Castillo in my book are elite 3-4 DEs, yes its a category of its own because it is a different position from a cover 2 DE or a 4-3 DT, but I dont see it as a penalization to those players, I just think when were talking about who is the best player at a certain position we stick to players who play that position every sunday

If you want to get technical we shouldn't compare 3-4 Nose Tackles like Jamal Williams to 4-3 Under Tackles like Tommie Harris, Kevin Williams. If you are going to lump all interior D-Lineman together, you need to include players like Seymour and Castillo who play on the interior D-Line.

I have a hard time believing Seymour could play 5-tech very well or Henderson could play 1-tech very well.

The 3-4 DE is put at 5-tech, or on the Tackle, so I don't understand how you could say that about Seymour.

As for Henderson, in certain packages he could move to the 1-tech, over the pivot, in a pinch. I'm not talking about full time; rather for versatility's sake.

Dam8610
07-19-2007, 01:02 AM
If you want to get technical we should vote on who is the best 3-tech. Who is the best 3-4 NT. If you are going to lump all interior D-Lineman together, you need to include players like Seymour.

The 3-4 DE is put at 5-tech, or on the Tackle, so I don't understand how you could say that about Seymour.

As for Henderson, in certain packages he could move to the 1-tech, over the pivot, in a pinch. I'm not talking about full time; rather for versatility's sake.

Oops, I meant 3-Tech for Seymour. Make a little more sense now?

Addict
07-19-2007, 02:31 AM
I'd take Seymour or Harris... maybe K.Williams.

raiderfan_89
07-19-2007, 02:36 AM
Warren Sapp.
10 Sacks last season.
He will get 17 this season.
;D

Boston
07-19-2007, 03:45 AM
I think the NFC Central, used to saying NL, is pretty much tops at DT.

Caddy
07-19-2007, 03:50 AM
I personally like the penetration and control within the pocket that Tommie Harris brings to a team. Especially a team running a cover 2 defense. But I wouldn't say no to Stroud either.

bored of education
07-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Anyone else think Adam Carriker is 'similar' to Seymour?

Moses
07-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Anyone else think Adam Carriker is 'similar' to Seymour?

Yes, although Seymour is a better athlete. Carriker looks a bit mechanical at times and I don't think he's as big as Seymour.

Vikes99ej
07-19-2007, 11:30 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/36/364256.jpg

Pack_Attack_4
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Justin Harrell is gonna be the best DT in acouple years

ATLDirtyBirds
07-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Henderson or Harris.

Moses
07-19-2007, 11:43 AM

Aaron Rodgers > Peyton Manning.

HoopsDemon12
07-19-2007, 12:11 PM

oh the great clouded mind of a homer... i know where you are coming from all to well...

on a related note McCargo will be the best DT in the next 2 years:rolleyes:

yourfavestoner
07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Aaron Rodgers > Peyton Manning.

Just ignore him. He makes one post every three months to talk about his random favorite Packer of the day.

Ravens1991
07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
About Haloti Ngata, I am a bit biased because he is one of my favorite players, but do you think he can reach a level were he is talked about being a top 3 DT in the league?

BrownsTown
07-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Yes, although Seymour is a better athlete. Carriker looks a bit mechanical at times and I don't think he's as big as Seymour.

The one who's most similar to Seymour is Alan Branch, IMO.

Moses
07-19-2007, 12:39 PM

Not a bad comparison although I'm not sure Branch is the type of athlete he was heralded as. I don't see DE potential out of him.

broncs2bowl
07-19-2007, 12:45 PM
Right now I gotta go with John Henderson followed by Kevin Williams then Jamal Williams

....in a couple of years MARCUS THOMAS BABY!

Hines
07-19-2007, 12:58 PM
About Haloti Ngata, I am a bit biased because he is one of my favorite players, but do you think he can reach a level were he is talked about being a top 3 DT in the league?

he could,but that will be a hard feet since there are so many great dt's in the league now....hes sure one hell of a plug in the middle for the ravens thats for sure

Ravens1991
07-19-2007, 01:02 PM
true but when John Henderson and Richard Seymour who are 26-27ish now go into the 32-33 range, Haloti will be in his prime were he may be considered a top 3 DT.

princefielder28
07-19-2007, 01:03 PM

The Ravne sproduce superstars on their defense and with the physically abillities of Nagata, I would it is not out of the question that Ngata could one day be one of the top DTs in the entire NFL.

Hines
07-19-2007, 01:06 PM
true but when John Henderson and Richard Seymour who are 26-27ish now go into the 32-33 range, Haloti will be in his prime were he may be considered a top 3 DT.

thats also true,but i dont think henderson or stroud or seymour are gonna slow down anytime soon..but that is just imo...

i see haloti as top 10 right now..maybe top 7ish but not top 3 right now..maybe in two years or so

EdReedUnstoppable
07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
One thing that will hold Haloti back from becoming the status of Henderson is the fact that even though Kelly Gregg is awesome, he isnt a physically demanding as say Stroud is next to Henderson (Personally I think Stroud is the best DT in Jax). I watched and taped all the games last year, and Haloti gets double teamed on every single down, and it opens plays up for Gregg, Pryce, and Suggs and our LBs, so I think Haloti will be a guy who is never given his just do for what he really does which is open up the field for our other DL/LBs to make plays and get hyped up.

Hines
07-19-2007, 01:24 PM
am i thinkin of a wrong person or am i correct, i think i read somewhere that haloti can be lazy at times and doesnt play every snap and takes plays off

EdReedUnstoppable
07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
am i thinkin of a wrong person or am i correct, i think i read somewhere that haloti can be lazy at times and doesnt play every snap and takes plays off

That was his college reputation, but there was no eveidence of that last year in Baltimore.

Hines
07-19-2007, 01:30 PM
That was his college reputation, but there was no eveidence of that last year in Baltimore.

well for now he might not act lazy..i mean burress didnt act lazy untill he wanted out of pittsburgh..but who knows

TACKLE
07-19-2007, 02:16 PM

I agree. The other most underrated DT's are Rod Coleman and Pat Williams. I just love watching Coleman play and you can't say that about too many DT's. Pat Williams is unmovable. Not to take anything away from Kevin Williams but he's rarely going against double teams because of Pat Williams.

TACKLE
07-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Best DT = Gilbert Brown
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/bearsc12/brown.jpg

CC.SD
07-19-2007, 02:26 PM

I would say Luis Castillo is doing a lot of the things Seymour is known for. He's not an unknown, but I think he's going to seriously break out this year.

HoopsDemon12
07-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Best DT = Gilbert Brown
http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/arc/image/bearsc12/brown.jpg

he just really looks scary... im not going up that middle

LTgiants
07-19-2007, 02:30 PM
how is it no one has mentioned Vince Wilfork at all he is definitely a top 7 Dt

Aftermath
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM

I certainly think Haloti can be a top 3 DT in the NFL.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-19-2007, 04:10 PM
well for now he might not act lazy..i mean burress didnt act lazy untill he wanted out of pittsburgh..but who knows

Yeah but thats Pittsburgh this is Baltimore, we're a much better city here :).

yourfavestoner
07-19-2007, 04:15 PM
how is it no one has mentioned Vince Wilfork at all he is definitely a top 7 Dt

Because the point of this thread is to discuss the best DT in the NFL.

LTgiants
07-19-2007, 04:20 PM

he is one of the best

Ravens1991
07-19-2007, 04:24 PM
yes he is very good but not at the level of Hampton, Williams and Henderson.

TheChampIsHere
07-19-2007, 04:26 PM
If you want to get technical we shouldn't compare 3-4 Nose Tackles like Jamal Williams to 4-3 Under Tackles like Tommie Harris, Kevin Williams. If you are going to lump all interior D-Lineman together, you need to include players like Seymour and Castillo who play on the interior D-Line.

Well I dont think it is right to compare Jamal Williams to Tommie Harris. My first response to this thread was Jamal Williams is the best 3-4 NT, Tommie Harris the best 4-3 UT and John Henderson the best 4-3 NT. I dont think we can say which one is the best because they all play such different positions. If we're talking best interior lineman than yea I guess you can go ahead and throw Seymour and other 3-4 DEs into the mix...Were just talking about technicalities at this point.

princefielder28
07-19-2007, 04:51 PM

what a comeback

raiderfan_89
07-19-2007, 05:44 PM
Well I dont think it is right to compare Jamal Williams to Tommie Harris. My first response to this thread was Jamal Williams is the best 3-4 NT, Tommie Harris the best 4-3 UT and John Henderson the best 4-3 NT. I dont think we can say which one is the best because they all play such different positions. If we're talking best interior lineman than yea I guess you can go ahead and throw Seymour and other 3-4 DEs into the mix...Were just talking about technicalities at this point.I disagree. If you talk about overall. Who can get the job done? If he had a chance to play all those positions then I choose John Henderson. He can play NT for both 4-3 and 3-4 and on ocassion he has done it. He can also play the 3 technique on a 4-3 and heck he can even be a Offensive Tackle.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I still say Henderson isn't as good as his teammate Marcus Stroud.

princefielder28
07-19-2007, 08:20 PM

I agree with that. They're both so good though that they can feed off of each other.

The Unseen
07-19-2007, 09:07 PM

To each his own, but as a Jaguars fan I say Henderson is better.

tjpackers
07-19-2007, 09:49 PM
grady jackson lol i would have to say marcus stroud, tommie harris

Diehard
07-20-2007, 10:31 AM

I agree. Stroud is a little overrated at this point (though still a top-notch player). Henderson is a beast!

Hines
07-20-2007, 10:34 AM

so if u had to chose between either stroud or henderson,youd chose henderson

Clayton89
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
for 3-4: http://i15.tinypic.com/6azmyl5.jpg
for 4-3: John Henderson

Bearsfan123
07-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Tommie Harris, ive watched him and hes a beast when healthy. I think hes just going to continue to improve.

TheChampIsHere
07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
I disagree. If you talk about overall. Who can get the job done? If he had a chance to play all those positions then I choose John Henderson. He can play NT for both 4-3 and 3-4 and on ocassion he has done it. He can also play the 3 technique on a 4-3 and heck he can even be a Offensive Tackle.

nah I dont think when you talk about best DT you can say who can get it done the most ways. Unless Henderson plays for a team that employs both the 3-4 and 4-3 and he is used as a 3-4 NT, a 4-3 NT and a 4-3 UT, I dont really care if he can play all those positions. Im just looking at what player is the most dominant in his role on the defense. And with that being the case, I have to point to Jamal Williams as the best DT.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Warren Sapp led all DT's in sacks last year....

...but really, I'll go for John Henderson by a small margin over Kevin Williams (who still didn't play like he did in that amazing 2004 campaign), and if I want a 3-4 NT, I'll take Jamal Williams.

The Unseen
07-20-2007, 06:32 PM
so if u had to chose between either stroud or henderson,youd chose henderson

Yes. Not only for skills, but Stroud has had nagging injury problems.

Job Reborn
12-09-2013, 07:46 AM
That was useful, thanks.

DcmRulz
12-09-2013, 08:06 AM
was this thread revived by a spambot?

Job Reborn
12-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Yep. But now it looks like I'm the one who grave digged it for no reason.

MidwestJimmy
12-09-2013, 09:22 AM
The best DT in the league could be someone who is now on IR -- Geno Atkins. J.J. Watt could be the best depending on what you classify his position. If you call Houston's defense a 5-2, then he's a DT.

Breed
12-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Gerald McCoy & Geno Atkins > Suh

bigbuc
12-09-2013, 11:07 PM
I was about to say McCoy with Atkins being hurt has taken over. The guy has become a beast.

mrjono
12-10-2013, 12:11 AM
The thought of John Henderson and Marcus Stroud together gives me happy thoughts. Wish in hindsight Jacksonville had built a better defence around them. Saying this as a Titans fan, would have been fun to watch

Caulibflower
12-10-2013, 12:32 AM
http://blogimages.thescore.com/nfl/files/2012/07/demaryius-thomas-again2.jpg

AntoinCD
12-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Suh has this reputation of being a bit of a scumbag but he is definitely in this conversation. The safety on Flynn on Thanksgiving is the type of play DTs shouldn't be making. Oh, and Fairley's good too but he also has a dirty reputation.

Notredameleo
12-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Watt (could be), Atkins, Suh, McCoy.

vidae
12-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Poe.

/thread

CashmoneyDrew
12-10-2013, 11:43 AM
Jurrell Casey is getting there, definitely on the cusp.

He has 9 sacks so far this season with little other pass rush help, and he's constantly in the backfield disrupting run plays.

It'll be nice to see what he can do if they add a couple of other guys to the line that can actually get to the QB.

Leon Sandcastle
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Marcell Dareus or Kyle Williams. Take your pick.