PDA

View Full Version : Tarik Glenn announces his retirement

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 08:56 PM
http://www.tribstar.com/colts/local_story_201225918.html

Is Colts' Tarik Glenn thinking about retirement?

By Tom James
Tribune-Star Correspondent

INDIANAPOLIS — Multiple media reports Friday evening appear to indicate that Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Tarik Glenn may be mulling retirement.

While Glenn is not expected to make an official announcement until early next week, he has reportedly already told several of his teammates of his pending decision. Glenn and Colts coach Tony Dungy spoke earlier this week, but Dungy would not divulge the extent of the conversation.

Glenn’s agent, Ralph Cindrich, would also not talk about such a move. Cindrich referred all questions to the 10-year veteran, but Glenn was unavailable to comment Friday night on his long-term future with the team.

A former University of California standout, Glenn was the Colts’ first-round draft pick in 1997. He has played in three Pro Bowls, two as a starter, and has started all 154 career games since coming to Indianapolis.

The team drafted former University of Arkansas offensive tackle Tony Ugoh in the second round last April as a possible future replacement for Glenn, who is due to become a free agent at the end of the 2007 season.

Colts officials had hoped to work Ugoh into the offensive tackle rotation slowly this season and was considering also getting him some playing time at offensive guard. Second-year offensive tackle Charlie Johnson, who filled in for both Glenn and Ryan Diem as a rookie last year, could be the primary candidate to replace Glenn in the starting lineup should he decide to retire.

-----------------------------

This would definitely scare me enough to be concerned. I feel that he is the cog to the OL and as much as I like Ugoh, I don't trust a rookie protecting Peyton's blindside. Charlie Johnson didn't do too bad in relief, but a 16-game season?!?!?

This could be a horrible loss.

IndyColtScout
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
It will be Ugoh vs. Johnson in the pre-season. Maybe Jake Scott gets thrown in the mix too, because I believe he played some LT @ Iowa.

This is a pretty big blow, but I still believe this offense can get the job done w/o Tarik.

Geo
07-20-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow, this is a surprising development if it turns out to be true.

(Assuming this report, which the Indystar felt confident enough in to run it, is true ...)

Glenn retires as a champion at the top of the game, and as a Colts player from beginning to end.

I think history will look back favorably on this era's Indianapolis Colts offense as one of the best, with Glenn a notable cog; especially once he hit his peak a few years ago, having worked on his craft and conquered weight issues. It's a shame Glenn didn't get more recogntion than he did, playing in an era with Hall of Famers Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace, as well as Jonathan Ogden who has ridiculously lived off the hype of his earlier years.

Geo
07-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I added the Terre Haute News article to the initial post, it's very well-written imo and states that Glenn will likely make an announcement - confirming or denying, though the former sounds much more likely - early next week.

cardsalltheway
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM
I added the Terre Haute article to the initial post, it's very well-written imo and states that Glenn will an announcement - confirming or denying, though the former sounds more likely - early next week.

Yeah, I also don't think he would wait a few days and hold an official media gathering just to say that the reports are false. I'll hold out hope though.

redviper311
07-21-2007, 06:21 AM
This is horrible .... horrible news. What are the possibilities of Ryan Diem moving from RT to replace Glenn for the season till Ugoh is ready?

Smooth Criminal
07-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Pretty big shock here. He isn't that old. I didn't think the Colt's would resign him after this year anyway so it will only have an effect on this year.

MaxV
07-21-2007, 01:39 PM
IF this report is true, then it's a huge loss for us.

I guess we'll have to find out if either Johnson or Ugoh are ready.

mvp18
07-21-2007, 04:33 PM
This is an awful news.
Glenn was going to be a great mentor for Ugoh and now he's probably gone.
At least I'm happy that Charlie Johnson had a great rookie year.
When he played(I remember the Eagles Game at home and the Super Bowl really well) he did a great performance.
I don't know if Ugoh is ready fot this challenge but we'll see and we all hope that he will be ready to protect Peyton's blind side for the next 8 years at least.

Geo
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
Adam Schefter's recent report on the situation (http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10266500):

PEYTON'S PROTECTOR

Reports surfaced over the weekend that Indianapolis Pro Bowl left tackle Tarik Glenn planned to retire.

And he still might. But he hasn't yet.

"No decision," Colts president Bill Polian said today, "is final."

Nor will it be until this week, if even then. Glenn is scheduled to meet this week with Colts president Bill Polian and head coach Tony Dungy. During that meeting, Glenn is expected to inform Indianapolis' leaders about his plans.

But when Glenn previously spoke with the Colts, Polian and Dungy each offered a similar response into any thoughts Glenn had on retirement.

"We didn't try to talk him into playing," Polian said. "We told him, 'Sit down and take all the time you need to think through the issues. Don't worry about your teammates, the Colts. What you need to worry about is A) Do you have passion to play? B) is your family OK with not playing? C) are you OK with not playing? You don't want to say, "I made a mistake." Be sure. If you're sure, be sure that decision is right decision for you and whatever it is we'll respect it.' "

Until Glenn informs Polian and Dungy he has retired, the Colts can harbor hopes that Peyton Manning's blindside protector will return for at least one more season.

a-dub83
07-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Well it's official guys, the press conference is up on colts.com. Man this sucks, but thank you Tarik for all your hard work and being a good character guy.

Geo
07-24-2007, 10:39 PM
Tarik Glenn officially announces his retirement. (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=9cf97d9a-8daf-4ef4-8305-9dd4da13140f)

Thanks for the memories and the great performances on and off the field, Tarik. Colts fans joked that Glenn was always good for one penalty a game, but knew it meant nothing compared to the value and leadership he brought to the team with every game. That the Colts reached and won Super Bowl XLI is all the more sweeter knowing that it allowed Tarik to leave on his own terms and as a world champion.

Tarik didn't get enough recognition imo, playing in an era with players like Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace, and that's a shame as history has a difficult time remembering players beyond the numbers of Pro Bowls on their bio sheet and the like, but Glenn was one of the best left tackles of his era imo and hopefully will be remembered as such - especially as he was an integral part of what I think will eventually be considered one of the finest offenses in NFL history. I look forward to the day when Glenn's name is added to the Colts' Ring of Honor.

redviper311
07-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Tarik Glenn officially announces his retirement. (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=9cf97d9a-8daf-4ef4-8305-9dd4da13140f)

Thanks for the memories and the great performances on and off the field, Tarik. Colts fans joked that Glenn was always good for one penalty a game, but knew it meant nothing compared to the value and leadership he brought to the team with every game. That the Colts reached and won Super Bowl XLI is all the more sweeter knowing that it allowed Tarik to leave on his own terms and as a world champion.

Tarik didn't get enough recognition imo, playing in an era with players like Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace, and that's a shame as history has a difficult time remembering players beyond the numbers of Pro Bowls on their bio sheet and the like, but Glenn was one of the best left tackles of his era imo and hopefully will be remembered as such - especially as he was an integral part of what I think will eventually be considered one of the finest offenses in NFL history. I look forward to the day when Glenn's name is added to the Colts' Ring of Honor.

Nicely put Geo...Tarik will be deeply missed.