PDA

View Full Version : Tarik Glenn=RETIRED

IndyColtScout
07-20-2007, 09:07 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070720/SPORTS03/707200535/1100

son-of-a

The Unseen
07-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Umm...

umm...

wow.

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 09:10 PM
This would definitely scare me enough to be concerned. I feel that he is the cog to the OL and as much as I like Ugoh, I don't trust a rookie protecting Peyton's blindside. Charlie Johnson didn't do too bad in relief, but a 16-game season?!?!?

This could be a horrible loss.

Also, there was a USA Today article from about WHAT, a month ago that said he's ready to mentor Ugoh.

islandboy843
07-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Good News for everyone except the Colts.

MasterShake
07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm....that Colts #1 draft pick is looking better for the 49ers...

Canadian_kid16
07-20-2007, 09:17 PM
Damn, only 31...and he's retired...thats something

SubNoize
07-20-2007, 09:18 PM
how nice of him to wait until a week before training camp to let them know...

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 09:18 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-06-11-notes_N.htm

Doesn't sound like a retired man, though does it?

IndyColtScout
07-20-2007, 09:22 PM

Every Colts fan knows Tarik has been tipping the scales a little overweight for a while now. He probably just decided it wasn't worth it anymore (getting in shape for training camp), and to just go out a champion. Smart move for a big man.

Shiver
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
This hurts the Colts tremendously.

T-RICH49
07-20-2007, 09:29 PM
how nice of him to wait until a week before training camp to let them know...

exactly what Willie Roaf did to KC 2 years ago

Dam8610
07-20-2007, 09:29 PM
It hasn't been confirmed by anyone, so why is it being talked about as though it's fact? I'd look for something more concrete than "sources close to the 10 year veteran".

Number 10
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Super Bowl champs lose...

#1 CB
#1 LB
Pro Bowl LT

Interesting........

Dam8610
07-20-2007, 09:33 PM

#1 CB
#1 LB
Pro Bowl LT

Interesting........

Way to overstate those first two losses. The third isn't confirmed by any reputable source yet either.

GB12
07-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Wow. Not saying he'll be anything close to Glenn, but at least they did get Ugoh.

neko4
07-20-2007, 09:38 PM
If Tarik did retire than this is a day ive been waiting for a long time

Dam8610
07-20-2007, 09:39 PM
If Tarik did retire than this is a day ive been waiting for a long time

What day would that be? I doubt it's "the day Tarik Glenn retires".

Number 10
07-20-2007, 09:45 PM
And not to mention one of the best #2 backs.....

jag
07-20-2007, 09:49 PM

*yes*

Windy
07-20-2007, 09:55 PM
one of the best cal bears ever.

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 09:58 PM

#1 CB
#1 LB
Pro Bowl LT

Interesting........

Cato June was the Colts #1 LB? Based off his play last year, I'd probably rank him lower. He was part of the run - defense problem, him and Gilb Gardner were the worst tacklers ever. MJD, while a beast, shook them off like they were Pop Warner players or women.

Hawk
07-20-2007, 09:59 PM
ha pwned

anyways he was cool, i liked his united way commercial

Canadian_kid16
07-20-2007, 10:09 PM

that was posted 39 days ago apprently...a man can change his mind in 39 days...

broncs2bowl
07-20-2007, 10:17 PM
whoooopdeeedoooo.........maybe now we can actually get within one foot of Peyton Manning more than once or twice a game

Philliez01
07-20-2007, 10:18 PM
that was posted 39 days ago apprently...a man can change his mind in 39 days...

I am aware of that, but it's just odd to me. I mean, I knew of his weight issues (recall Dungy sending him or Tripplett home to lose some weight---forget who it was exactly) but maybe there is something more personal?

keylime_5
07-20-2007, 10:21 PM
No one's hating on Polian for trading a future 1st rounder for Tony Ugoh now. It probably won't hurt the Colts that much really, Peyton Manning has such a quick release and his weapons are so incredibly good that they'll still put up 20+ a game. Apparently the Colts had but little choice.

Vikes99ej
07-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Drafting Ugoh definitely looks like a good decision now.

Dam8610
07-20-2007, 10:55 PM
So when did "sources close to the 10 year veteran" become a reliable enough source to declare it as fact? Haven't "sources close to (insert player here)" been dead wrong on several previous occasions?

Geo
07-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Wow, this is a surprising development if it turns out to be true.

(Assuming this report, which the Indystar felt confident enough in to run it, is true ...)

Glenn retires as a champion at the top of the game, and as a Colts player from beginning to end.

I think history will look back favorably on this era's Indianapolis Colts offense as one of the best, with Glenn a notable cog; especially once he hit his peak a few years ago, having worked on his craft and conquered weight issues. It's a shame Glenn didn't get more recogntion than he did, playing in an era with Hall of Famers Willie Roaf and Orlando Pace, as well as Jonathan Ogden who has ridiculously lived off the hype of his earlier years.

No one's hating on Polian for trading a future 1st rounder for Tony Ugoh now.
Boy, I hear that. Although I liked the pick anyways, as I very much doubted that there would be a left tackle at the Colts' (now 49ers') pick in the 08 Draft who is as athletic as Ugoh (maybe the Boise State kid, but I'll gladly take Ugoh instead).

familyguy555
07-20-2007, 11:11 PM
SO is he retiring or not? Thats a huge loss if he retires.

princefielder28
07-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Talk about throwing a curveball......Ugoh better figure it out quick or they'll keep trying to fit pieces of the puzzle where they're not suppose to go

OzTitan
07-20-2007, 11:25 PM
He's a great OT and a big loss if it's true, but I don't know, sometimes I think you could throw 5 clones of Justin Hartwig on their OL and it won't make much difference.

Unless they're playing a 3-4 that is.

Geo
07-20-2007, 11:26 PM
If I had to guess right now, Tony Ugoh isn't the starter at left tackle for the season opener. It's Charlie Johnson, a second-year man who primarily saw backup duty at right tackle last year (including playing most of SB XLI).

CC.SD
07-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Way to overstate those first two losses. The third isn't confirmed by any reputable source yet either.

It's not an overstatement; they lost their number 1 corner and number 1 LB.

Geo
07-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Not to get too into it to the point of derailing, but suffice to say that the Colts let them walk and for good reason.

neko4
07-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Cato June was the Colts #1 LB? Based off his play last year, I'd probably rank him lower. He was part of the run - defense problem, him and Gilb Gardner were the worst tacklers ever. MJD, while a beast, shook them off like they were Pop Warner players or women.

Its still a big loss

cardsalltheway
07-21-2007, 12:18 AM
To the people saying Cato June is a significant loss, how much of the Colts did you actually watch last year? Or are you just looking at the stats and seeing he had a bunch of tackles? There's a reason that it took forever for him to be signed with another team.

And this is a huge loss if its true. I agree with Geo that Charlie will probably be starting and I'm a huge fan of him myself. He's a very versatile player and I think he can hold his own this year if need be.

Larry
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Good news if your a Niner fan.

cardsalltheway
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
What day would that be? I doubt it's "the day Tarik Glenn retires".

The day Peyton Manning becomes easier to injure :rolleyes:

TheChampIsHere
07-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Well this makes the Ugoh pick make a lot more sense, the Colts obviously saw this coming. Is it definite he will retire though? I would think he would have wanted to finish out his contract and get a big payday.

TheChampIsHere
07-21-2007, 12:27 AM

Lets be real, Nick Harper and Cato June were not great players and are easily replaceable. They have 3 young CBs picked on the first day (Jackson, Hayden, Jennings) and they picked up Hughes, who should be a steal and do great in the cover 2. Harper wasnt much better than any of those guys and they all have more upside than him. June was a horrible run defender and I wouldnt be the least but surprised to see Keihaho turn out to be better than him. These are not the kind of losses that are gonna make a real difference especially on well-coached cover 2 D with a team that is obviously good at grooming young talent and prepare themselves for FA departures (Edge, Mike Peterson, Marcus Washington, Larry Tripplett.....)

Geo
07-21-2007, 12:28 AM
http://www.tribstar.com/colts/local_story_201225918.html

Is Colts' Tarik Glenn thinking about retirement?

By Tom James
Tribune-Star Correspondent

INDIANAPOLIS ó Multiple media reports Friday evening appear to indicate that Indianapolis Colts offensive tackle Tarik Glenn may be mulling retirement.

While Glenn is not expected to make an official announcement until early next week, he has reportedly already told several of his teammates of his pending decision. Glenn and Colts coach Tony Dungy spoke earlier this week, but Dungy would not divulge the extent of the conversation.

Glennís agent, Ralph Cindrich, would also not talk about such a move. Cindrich referred all questions to the 10-year veteran, but Glenn was unavailable to comment Friday night on his long-term future with the team.

A former University of California standout, Glenn was the Coltsí first-round draft pick in 1997. He has played in three Pro Bowls, two as a starter, and has started all 154 career games since coming to Indianapolis.

The team drafted former University of Arkansas offensive tackle Tony Ugoh in the second round last April as a possible future replacement for Glenn, who is due to become a free agent at the end of the 2007 season.

Colts officials had hoped to work Ugoh into the offensive tackle rotation slowly this season and was considering also getting him some playing time at offensive guard. Second-year offensive tackle Charlie Johnson, who filled in for both Glenn and Ryan Diem as a rookie last year, could be the primary candidate to replace Glenn in the starting lineup should he decide to retire.

Hines
07-21-2007, 12:37 AM
whatever the decision be,i believe the colts have more of a problem on the other side of the ball which they need to adress really fast

Hines
07-21-2007, 12:39 AM
but imo i think ugoh could potentially be better then glenn

but that is just my opinion

JF4
07-21-2007, 12:44 AM
The thing I'll always remember about Tarik Glenn is when MNF would get the players to announce themselves and Tarik did his he said his name so slow that it made him sound like an idiot.

Thanks for reading my story.

Flyboy
07-21-2007, 01:27 AM
Not to get too into it to the point of derailing, but suffice to say that the Colts let them walk and for good reason.

Eh, I think them losing Jason David to us was more of Micky Loomis forcing their hand rather than them wanting to let him go.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-21-2007, 01:46 AM
Now I'll actually have a reason to watch the Colts Raiders game seeing as how Ugoh is gonna be powned by Moses.

TheChampIsHere
07-21-2007, 01:55 AM
Eh, I think them losing Jason David to us was more of Micky Loomis forcing their hand rather than them wanting to let him go.

just on a note about Jason David, I think it was an awful signing by the Saints. Fred Thomas was abused all year in their man to man scheme, hence the need for a new starting CB, but David is not the answer. Yeah, he got by OK in the cover 2, but if they try to throw him into that man to man scheme, hes gonna be exposed IMO. He just doesnt have the talent to play starting CB in the NFL unless he is playing in the cover 2. The Saints instead should have went after a corner in the draft, they had a chance to grab Chris Houston, an ideal CB for their scheme and they would have been wise to pass on David and go for him in the draft. While David was servicable in the cover 2, I dont think he'll be much better than Fred Thomas in the Saints' D and at the end of the year the Saints will find themselves again in need of a new starting CB as they pay David starter money to play nickel back. Maybe he'll prove me wrong but I doubt it. I think the Colts would have liked to keep him but no way were they gonna give him a big contract when they know how easily replacable he was. The Colts are fine at corner with Hughes, Jackson, Hayden and Jennings.

BigDawg819
07-21-2007, 02:03 AM
So when did "sources close to the 10 year veteran" become a reliable enough source to declare it as fact? Haven't "sources close to (insert player here)" been dead wrong on several previous occasions?

A Dolt fan in denial...........................I LOVE IT! :D

Geo
07-21-2007, 02:10 AM
You're entitled to believe what you want. The Colts offered only a mid-level tender to resticted agent Jason David for a reason.

kmartin575
07-21-2007, 02:19 AM

Somebody sounds a little scared.

Smooth Criminal
07-21-2007, 07:00 AM
I would be to.

We don't know if he is retired or not. He is supposed to confirm or deny reports officially in a few days.

The Unseen
07-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Cato June is not a #1 LB by any stretch of the imagination. Number #1 corner is correct, but Nick Harper isn't some vital Pro Bowl-esque corner.

etk
07-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Interceptions are not a fair way of judging a linebacker's value. Gary Brackett was much more valuable to their defense. I'd even go as far as to say Rob Morris was more valuable playing SAM late in the season, boosting their run D tremendously.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-21-2007, 09:45 AM

#1 CB
#1 LB
Pro Bowl LT

Interesting........

Rhodes as well. Not really a sick back, but had a good superbowl. I guess now it will be up to Addai.

neko4
07-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Cato June is not a #1 LB by any stretch of the imagination. Number #1 corner is correct, but Nick Harper isn't some vital Pro Bowl-esque corner.

so it not a big loss, at all, he's just an interchangeable LB

CC.SD
07-21-2007, 11:09 AM
so it not a big loss, at all, he's just an interchangeable LB

The Colts are the only team that might actually get away with that with the way they've treated their backers.

Can anyone say Florida Marlins? Just kidding.

remix 6
07-21-2007, 12:12 PM
oh yesss

a rookie verse Thomas-Seymour-Colvin-Vrabel (whoever plays that side against Colts)

i love it

Splat
07-21-2007, 01:26 PM
He said in a interview on TV this last year was his hardest year when it comes to how his body was feeling threw the week after a game.

HoopsDemon12
07-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Well for ahile the colts could do no wrong.... now its biting them ... its gonna be hard for them to fill this need.. it will take ugoh time to adjust to the NFL although i think he is the long term solution personally.. good luck peyton...

bigbluedefense
07-21-2007, 01:43 PM
Thats asking alot from Ugoh...this is a big blow. Roosevelt Colvin is licking his chops right now.

I think the key losses they had were Rhodes, and now this one. I think their loses at CB wasn't too big of a deal considering the scheme they run plus the fact that they got Hughes in the draft. June stunk anyway, thats no big loss.

People underestimate how critical Rhodes was to their playoff success. He was HUGE against NE. He will be missed. I guarantee it.

The Unseen
07-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Thats asking alot from Ugoh...this is a big blow. Roosevelt Colvin is licking his chops right now.

...and Bobby McCray, and Mario Williams (or is he a LE?), and Kyle Vanden Bosch (same?).

TitleTown088
07-21-2007, 02:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2944430 make it official?

TitanHope
07-21-2007, 02:29 PM
...and Bobby McCray, and Mario Williams (or is he a LE?), and Kyle Vanden Bosch (same?).

KVB is officially a LE, but he can play RE and play it well. He sometimes gets interchanged due to the instability the Titans have at RE.

And as a Titans fan, this is very good news to hear.

Geo
07-21-2007, 02:57 PM
As I said earlier, I don't think Ugoh starting from Week One is a given. There's no guarantee that the Colts throw the rookie into the fire immediately, especially at that position. Addai was a redshirt senior out of LSU and he didn't start until the playoffs.

I think the key losses they had were Rhodes, and now this one. I think their loses at CB wasn't too big of a deal considering the scheme they run plus the fact that they got Hughes in the draft. June stunk anyway, thats no big loss.

People underestimate how critical Rhodes was to their playoff success. He was HUGE against NE. He will be missed. I guarantee it.
The loss of Rhodes isn't too big a deal for me. For one, the Colts wouldn't have paid what the Raiders paid - no way. Secondly, I no longer have to worry about his confidence issues and constant fumbling concerns (Jeff Saturday recovering Rhodes' fumble in the endzone in that NE game was HUGE). I'm more concerned with too much wear and tear on Addai, but the Colts seem adamant on keeping a second back in rotation and that's good news imo.

Imo the biggest reason for Rhodes' success in the playoffs was that his fresh legs after halftime gashed opposing defenses, who the Colts offense had two quarters to adjust to and wear down. I bet if you look at the postseason stats, Rhodes contribution in the first half of all four playoff games was absoutely dwarfed by his second half production.

Both DeDe Dorsey and Kenton Keith are lightier backs, which is a slight concern, but they are as fast/quick/shifty if not much moreso (3D in particular) so I think either can provide the same second-half spark. The Colts watched 3D every week in practice last season, and liked him enough to keep him on the active roster all season and let Rhodes walk in FA despite a great stat-line in SB XLI.

Much as I love Edge, the Colts did benefit from getting younger/quicker/fresher at the position and that proved critical in their 06 postseason success, although I vehemently maintain that Edge didn't receive enough carries/touches in the postseason. Drafting Addai was also critical, as he can pass protect and catch the ball very well to make up ground on that front. Division rival Jacksonville made a similar improvement by drafting Mo Drew and pairing him with Fred Taylor for one of the league's best rushing attacks, and I think we'll probably see something similar this year with Tennessee in Brown/LenWhale/Henry although not near that level of success of course.

btw, glad to see the Giants linebackers back, BBD.

TheChampIsHere
07-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Looks like Glenns retirement is for real...Some serious pressure on Ugoh now

Sniper
07-21-2007, 03:18 PM
Rhodes as well. Not really a sick back, but had a good superbowl. I guess now it will be up to Addai.

And Rhodes would have won the MVP of the SB if they didn't give Peyton his lifetime achievement award. But anyway, I don't think the Colts really care who they have on defense, especially the back 7 besides Sanders. Didn't Dungy make a quote like "The further you are from the ball, the more expendable you are" on defense or something like that. Neither June or Harper are huge playmakers, so it's not that big of a deal. Tarik Glenn, though, is a huge deal.

Larry
07-21-2007, 03:21 PM
This shows how much vets hate training camp because this is pretty late in the offseason to retire.

SaintsMan
07-21-2007, 03:23 PM
So, who is Will Smith going to face in he opener? :) Just kidding, no one is going to give us a chance to win anyway.

Anyway, the Colts just lost a great player. Glenn should have told the Colts he was considering retirement months ago.

Geo
07-21-2007, 03:50 PM
If Glenn had told the Colts months ago that he was retiring, what would that have changed?

WMD
07-21-2007, 03:54 PM
If Glenn had told the Colts months ago that he was retiring, what would that have changed?

It probably would've changed their draft plans a little bit.. and their priorities in Free Agency would've likely changed.

neko4
07-21-2007, 03:57 PM

Looks like Glenns retirement is for real...Some serious pressure on Ugoh now

He doesnt hve to start LT yet does he?

Geo
07-21-2007, 04:03 PM
It probably would've changed their draft plans a little bit.. and their priorities in Free Agency would've likely changed.
I can't doubt that enough, quite honestly. Especially considering the team traded their 2008 1st round draft pick and a 07 4th round pick to trade up for a 1st round left tackle prospect (in their grading/scouting) in Ugoh anyways.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-21-2007, 04:31 PM
And Rhodes would have won the MVP of the SB if they didn't give Peyton his lifetime achievement award. But anyway, I don't think the Colts really care who they have on defense, especially the back 7 besides Sanders. Didn't Dungy make a quote like "The further you are from the ball, the more expendable you are" on defense or something like that. Neither June or Harper are huge playmakers, so it's not that big of a deal. Tarik Glenn, though, is a huge deal.

LOL. Yeah I was rooting for Rhodes to get it acually. He worked hard and I thought played good enough to have that honor. But peyton is like MJ, in basketball. Sometimes you get bounces and things go your way just because of who you are and prior performances. I don't have a problem with it in general, but just thought Rhodes should have got it. If they didnt give it to either of them, than I'd be wondering whats going on.

Sniper
07-21-2007, 04:35 PM
LOL. Yeah I was rooting for Rhodes to get it acually. He worked hard and I thought played good enough to have that honor. But peyton is like MJ, in basketball. Sometimes you get bounces and things go your way just because of who you are and prior performances. I don't have a problem with it in general, but just thought Rhodes should have got it. If they didnt give it to either of them, than I'd be wondering whats going on.

Please never compare Peyton to MJ. MJ won 6 titles and actually played like an MVP in the playoffs/Finals. They never had to give MJ a pity Finals MVP.

But yes, I understand your point. Rhodes had an excellent game and deserved it, though I wasn't stunned when Peyton got it for the aforementioned reasons.

Geo
07-21-2007, 04:39 PM
It couldn't have been given to Rhodes and not Addai imo. If they wanted to go that route, they should have awarded Addai and Rhodes co-MVPs of the game.

But Manning made sense though, he did a great job in directing the offense and keeping the defense off the field, despite all of the early turnovers between both teams, and the threat of Manning to the Bears helped the Colts offense if anything.

NGSeiler
07-21-2007, 05:51 PM

They certainly could have at least benefited from adding some better veteran depth at tackle in free agency, because I can't imagine a choice between starting Ugoh or Charles Johnson for Week One is ideal for Indy.

CC.SD
07-21-2007, 06:49 PM

Not to mention Shawne Merriman/Shaun Phillips.

yourfavestoner
07-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes! Yes! Yes!

remix 6
07-22-2007, 02:53 PM
forgot to mention..i wonder if their replacements can hold aswell as he does.

ks_perfection
07-22-2007, 02:56 PM
Glenn most likely told the Cotls that he was thinking of retiring. I don't think its a concidence that they gave up next years #1 pick for a player that wasn't a 1st round talent and wouldn't contribute this year without the notion that Glenn wouldn't be there. Even if Glenn didn't tell them directly they likely heard that he was contemplating it and took a measure incase it was true.

For those who think they had 0 idea, what would they have done differently if they knew? There weren't alot of options aviable to them.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Also, I do think that the Colts will use Charlie Johnson as a "TE" and just plant him next to Ugoh like they did at times last year with Glenn or Diem. No problem with that, but still Glenn would be nice to have back.

Oh well.

Also, Bill Polian (and the Colts) are not really into signing FAs. Vinateiri was a big one, but I believe Simon was a late - summer addition and that didn't work out great long term.

It's hard to tell who's the Colts biggest FA acquisition this year. John Navarre or Rick DeMulling.

ks_perfection
07-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Glenn most likely told the Cotls that he was thinking of retiring. I don't think its a concidence that they gave up next years #1 pick for a player that wasn't a 1st round talent and wouldn't contribute this year without the notion that Glenn wouldn't be there. Even if Glenn didn't tell them directly they likely heard that he was contemplating it and took a measure incase it was true.

For those who think they had 0 idea, what would they have done differently if they knew? There weren't alot of options aviable to them, taking Ugoh was alot more than most people expected, given all their needs, and the fact they weren't in the habit of picking for the future like the Eagles are it was unlikely theyd start now.

CC.SD
07-22-2007, 03:02 PM
Also, I do think that the Colts will use Charlie Johnson as a "TE" and just plant him next to Ugoh like they did at times last year with Glenn or Diem. No problem with that, but still Glenn would be nice to have back.

Oh well.

Also, Bill Polian (and the Colts) are not really into signing FAs. Vinateiri was a big one, but I believe Simon was a late - summer addition and that didn't work out great long term.

It's hard to tell who's the Colts biggest FA acquisition this year. John Navarre or Rick DeMulling.

Colts aren't gonna make a lot of FA acquisitions; they made the call and decided that keeping their corps together is more important than the little guys, and I believe they're right. Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, and Dwight all have big contracts.

Obviously, the Bolts are going to be in the same boat by the end of 2009, when the contracts run out on Merriman, Rivers, Castillo, McNeill, and Jackson.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 03:04 PM

For those who think they had 0 idea, what would they have done differently if they knew? There weren't alot of options aviable to them, taking Ugoh was alot more than most people expected, given all their needs, and the fact they weren't in the habit of picking for the future like the Eagles are it was unlikely theyd start now.

To you he may not have been a 1st - round talent, but BP said that he had 18 picks valued as 1st - rounders and Ugoh was one of them.

They wouldn't have done anything different. It's not in the Colts to either pick up a high valued free agent, trade up in the draft and you hardly see the NFL trade.

keylime_5
07-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Merriman and Rivers no doubt will have their contracts renewed long before the 2009 season comes to close. McNeill shouldn't be a problem either considering how important the LT spot is and the franchise tag does exist for them. Castillo and Jackson probably won't demand as much money as the former 3 players, but they are expendable even though they are quite good young players. Letting guys like that walk would help the team if they were in salary cap trouble, but McNeill/Merriman/Rivers are players needed on SD for the greater part of their respective careers.

keylime_5
07-22-2007, 03:10 PM
Honestly though, regarding Glenn, it is a big loss for them right now, but it won't impact their passing game like it would most teams who lose their franchise LT suddenly. Ugoh I expect will be sufficient enought to block for the very short time it takes Peyton to throw the ball. I haven't seen a QB with a quicker, surer release than Manning. And seeing as that Ugoh is a mauler in the run game the only way it will hurt their run blocking is the inexperience and rookie mistakes Ugoh is bound to make on the left side. The future of their O-Line is fine I'm sure, Indy is excellent at developing players, or at least they must be since the only starter on either the entire offensive/defensive units not drafted by Indy is Booger McFarland I believe.

Flyboy
07-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Should be interesting to see Ugoh against Will Smith in Week One. :)

Xenos
07-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Colts aren't gonna make a lot of FA acquisitions; they made the call and decided that keeping their corps together is more important than the little guys, and I believe they're right. Peyton, Marvin, Reggie, and Dwight all have big contracts.

Obviously, the Bolts are going to be in the same boat by the end of 2009, when the contracts run out on Merriman, Rivers, Castillo, McNeill, and Jackson.
Rivers' contract runs through the 2010 season. One of the niches for not playing right away, his contract automatically includes another year.

tylerb929
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
forgot to mention..i wonder if their replacements can hold aswell as he does.

Probably as good as Matt Light does against Dwight Freeney. It seems like both O-lines get away with a lot when the Colts play the Patriots.

And I doubt Ugoh starts week 1, if he does thats great, it means he is THAT good. Charlie Johnson held up extremely well when asked to perform, I think he'll perform just fine to start with. IF Glenn decides to retire, I'd expect to see the Colts use more 3 or 4 WR sets to spread out defenses.

The Colts couldn't have drafted better for this situation, a slot reciever who can catch the quick slant and a future LT, both with Bill Polian 1st round grades.

Dam8610
07-23-2007, 01:24 AM

Unquestionably DeMulling. He was playing at what many thought was a Pro Bowl level for the Colts in 2004 prior to getting injured.

JT Jag
07-23-2007, 02:10 AM
The Jaguars defensive line unit is so hitting the bars to celebrate this momentous occasion.

Jughead10
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Honestly though, regarding Glenn, it is a big loss for them right now, but it won't impact their passing game like it would most teams who lose their franchise LT suddenly. Ugoh I expect will be sufficient enought to block for the very short time it takes Peyton to throw the ball. I haven't seen a QB with a quicker, surer release than Manning. And seeing as that Ugoh is a mauler in the run game the only way it will hurt their run blocking is the inexperience and rookie mistakes Ugoh is bound to make on the left side. The future of their O-Line is fine I'm sure, Indy is excellent at developing players, or at least they must be since the only starter on either the entire offensive/defensive units not drafted by Indy is Booger McFarland I believe.

This will effect Peyton. Don't kid yourself. Remeber him against the Steelers two years ago when he didn't get good protection.

CC.SD
07-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Merriman and Rivers no doubt will have their contracts renewed long before the 2009 season comes to close. McNeill shouldn't be a problem either considering how important the LT spot is and the franchise tag does exist for them. Castillo and Jackson probably won't demand as much money as the former 3 players, but they are expendable even though they are quite good young players. Letting guys like that walk would help the team if they were in salary cap trouble, but McNeill/Merriman/Rivers are players needed on SD for the greater part of their respective careers.

Oh I'm sure we'll get those guys locked up; my point was that it will end up costing us the ability to pick up free agents/resign other role players.

tylerb929
07-23-2007, 12:48 PM
This will effect Peyton. Don't kid yourself. Remeber him against the Steelers two years ago when he didn't get good protection.

Did you watch that game? That had little to nothing to do with Glenn, the Colts were pulling both their guards out past the tackles to block the perimeter pass rush and the Steelers were just blitzing down the middle.

Jughead10
07-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Did you watch that game? That had little to nothing to do with Glenn, the Colts were pulling both their guards out past the tackles to block the perimeter pass rush and the Steelers were just blitzing down the middle.

I dunno. It was two years ago. The one play that stays in my head is Porter getting Peyton late in the game untouched from the left side. Either way, no matter how good your QB is, having a rookie LT instead of the Pro Bowl-esqu veteran that you are used to will effect your performance. Especially earlier in the season.

Moses
07-23-2007, 01:03 PM

What? Is that even possible? I have never heard of guards being pulled to pass block.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
The Jaguars defensive line unit is so hitting the bars to celebrate this momentous occasion.

Mario Williams as well.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
What? Is that even possible? I have never heard of guards being pulled to pass block.

Yeah, that's what they were trying to do. Unfortunately for the Colts, the Steelers' pass rushers were too fast for the Guards. Hence why Peyton Manning criticized the pass protection. That statement after the game was misconstrued. Rather than criticizing his players, he realized that they were put in a position to fail.

Moses
07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah, that's what they were trying to do. Unfortunately for the Colts, the Steelers' pass rushers were too fast for the Guards. Hence why Peyton Manning criticized the pass protection. That statement after the game was misconstrued. Rather than criticizing his players, he realized that they were put in a position to fail.

That's a terrible coaching mistake. It's fundamental that you block the inside first.

a-dub83
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
It's official as of today, the press conference is up on the colts website. I can't fault Tarik for going out on top and wanting to spend time with his family. He's a high character guy and will definitely be missed. This isn't the end of Tarik, I expect him to still be a pillar of the community in Indianapolis. I hope Ugoh surprises in camp, but chances are he will not start.

Pack_Attack_4
07-25-2007, 01:17 AM
I still cant belive its actually true

wogitalia
07-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Big loss to the Colts. This will rock them early in the season. I think they are well enough coached and Ugoh is solid enough that in the long term they can cover it, but Peyton is going to feel some hits for once.

Most underrated LT in the league for a good 5 years now. Good riddance as a non-colts fan...

stephenson86
07-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Tony Ugoh = LT
Dwight Freeney = RE

He will be fine

#1chiefs_fan
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Losing a left tackle is one of the worst losses than any position other than QB. Sure they lost Cato June, Jason David, etc but those guys are replaceble. This gonna hurt the colts if they don't find a steady replacement. They probally move diem to left and tony ugoh to right.

CC.SD
07-25-2007, 11:51 AM
They should bring back Mandarich!

Moses
07-25-2007, 11:53 AM
They should bring back Mandarich!

Well after he was fired from doing analysis on The Score he is available.