PDA

View Full Version : Brady Quinn and Joe Thomas Likely to Miss Start of Camp

Splat
07-21-2007, 01:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-radyuinnikelytoissta&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Update: Quinn will most likely miss the start of training camp when it opens on July 27, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Recommendation: Quinn's contract holdout has been predicted for the last month and this news comes as little surprise. Still, the more training camp he misses the longer until he will take the mantle as the team's starting QB.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-oehomasoontracthenam&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Update: Thomas will most likely not be signed to a contract by the start of training camp on July 27, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Recommendation: This is little surprise, as his holdout has been rumored for the last month. Once he is signed, Thomas is expected to provide instant improvement to the Browns' porous offensive line. His presence is needed, to put it mildly.

I think rookie hold outs are BS you guys have done nothing in the NFL get in camp!

bigbluedefense
07-21-2007, 01:54 PM
The NFL is a business. Theyre looking out for their own finances and doing whats in their best interests financially. I don't blame them one bit. They can cut you whenver they want, so as long as you have some sort of leverage, use it. Theres no morality in business. This is no different.

Splat
07-21-2007, 02:18 PM
You can't cut a first round pick for at least three years the cap hit would be huge I don't think a player that has never even stepped on a NFL field should hold out. I think it is BS that rookie player can come in and be the highest paid player on his team or highest paid player at his position it is just not right IMO. I mean look at Pac Man after all the off the field stuff he has done Tinn still can't cut him because the cap hit would be huge they have so much money tied in to him.

BrownsTown
07-21-2007, 02:35 PM
No surprise, Thomas wants the same money Vince got last year, Brady wants more money than normal because he dropped.

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2007, 01:36 AM
You can't cut a first round pick for at least three years the cap hit would be huge I don't think a player that has never even stepped on a NFL field should hold out. I think it is BS that rookie player can come in and be the highest paid player on his team or highest paid player at his position it is just not right IMO. I mean look at Pac Man after all the off the field stuff he has done Tinn still can't cut him because the cap hit would be huge they have so much money tied in to him.

thats the way its always been though, and its like that with huge companies as well...at the same time, the teams do have the option to not pay them the huge contracts, or dont pay them at all...so its not that crazy because teams dont mind going out of their way to do it...these are 2 huge rookies that cleveland should make sure they sign however possible

nobodyinparticular
07-22-2007, 02:26 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-radyuinnikelytoissta&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Update: Quinn will most likely miss the start of training camp when it opens on July 27, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Recommendation: Quinn's contract holdout has been predicted for the last month and this news comes as little surprise. Still, the more training camp he misses the longer until he will take the mantle as the team's starting QB.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-oehomasoontracthenam&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Update: Thomas will most likely not be signed to a contract by the start of training camp on July 27, the Akron Beacon Journal reports.

Recommendation: This is little surprise, as his holdout has been rumored for the last month. Once he is signed, Thomas is expected to provide instant improvement to the Browns' porous offensive line. His presence is needed, to put it mildly.

I think rookie hold outs are BS you guys have done nothing in the NFL get in camp!

It doesn't have to do with the players nearly as it has to do with their agents. The players sit back and do exactly what the agents tell them. Not to mention that it is very rare for a player to actually be involved with the negotiations in any extent. The players are merely puppets, the agents are the puppeteers.

Splat
07-22-2007, 01:19 PM
The agent works for the player not the other way around they need to know that it is up to the player when it all comes down to it.

nobodyinparticular
07-22-2007, 01:22 PM
The agent works for the player not the other way around they need to know that it is up to the player when it all comes down to it.

Exactly. Sadly it's going more and more the opposite way.

ks_perfection
07-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Thomas should get atleast as much as VY got. The fact that he's a OT and young is a QB shouldn't change anything. If OT weren't as important they wouldn't be taken this high. As for Quinn he should get more than he's slotted for, afterall the Browns gave up 1st round next year and 2nd this year to get him. I'd geuss he gets 15-17 money worth.

Splat
07-22-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't think Quinn should get more just because he is a QB or because they had to give up so much to give him he fell just like players do every year I don't think he should get special treat meant. The Chiefs took Derrick Johnson at 15 when many felt he was a for sure top 10 pick he didn't throw a fit wanting top ten money and IMO neither should Quinn.

Contr0versy
07-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Simply put, the Browns should have NEVER drafted Quinn to begin with. He's just not worth it. . .

Smokey Joe
07-23-2007, 04:15 PM
this is why the NFL should have an arbitration policy like in baseball.

Crazy_Chris
07-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I agree the Garunteed amounts for rookies should be pre-determined according to each slot. After that they can negoiate any escalators into the contracts they want.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 05:16 PM
I find it humorous that Brady Quinn is still holding on to the notion that he is a franchise QB and deserves to be treated as such.

Geo
07-23-2007, 05:38 PM
You're not making sense, Shiver.

For one, Quinn's agent is well-known Tom Condon, who is going to do as right by his client as possible - that's what Quinn hired him for.

Secondly, what does the notion of Quinn as the Brown's long-sought franchise quarterback have to do with rookie contract negotiations? The Browns drafted him in the 1st round, trading their 08 1st round pick to do so, and will pay him as such soon enough.

And why would Quinn or anyone else have to hold on to such a notion when there hasn't been a snap of preseason much less the actual season? I've heard of out of sight, out of mind, but the above is bordering on ridiculous.

D-Unit
07-23-2007, 05:47 PM
This is the Browns we're talking about here.... So what's new???

This is great news for the rest of the league! The more damage the Browns get, the better.

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 05:47 PM
This is the Browns we're talking about here.... So what's new???

This is great news for the rest of the league! The more damage the Browns get, the better.

atleast for those Cowboys fans

Shiver
07-23-2007, 06:07 PM
You're not making sense, Shiver.

For one, Quinn's agent is well-known Tom Condon, who is going to do as right by his client as possible - that's what Quinn hired him for.

Quinn needs to be in camp, as soon as possible, for his best interest. Philip Rivers' career was put on hold for two years because he held out in camp.

Secondly, what does the notion of Quinn as the Brown's long-sought franchise quarterback have to do with rookie contract negotiations? The Browns drafted him in the 1st round, trading their 08 1st round pick to do so, and will pay him as such soon enough.

And why would Quinn or anyone else have to hold on to such a notion when there hasn't been a snap of preseason much less the actual season? I've heard of out of sight, out of mind, but the above is bordering on ridiculous.

He should be payed as the 22nd pick, with the typical QB contract bump. I've heard he is looking for top-10 money, or "franchise QB" money. The Browns do not have the cap to pay Joe Thomas and pay Quinn what he thinks he worthy of. If Quinn is a great QB he will be rewarded in due time.

Geo
07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
I see your point more clearly now wrt the claim that his camp is seeking Top 10 money (whereas we've seen late 1st round quarterbacks as JP Losman and Jason Campbell, etcetera). Certainly the Browns won't bend on that front, nor should they, although I'm sure Quinn's contract will include escalators and incentives and the like, much like we saw with Matt Leinart and Jay Cutler last year (wasn't Condon Leinart's agent also?)

If you think Quinn is a fraud, that's fine. But a connection from a potential/early holdout to that was in doubt, I thought.

As for Phillip Rivers, well, Drew Brees playing at a Pro Bowl level in 2004 and 2005 (even if he didn't make it in) had something to do with keeping him on the bench also. Granted, Brees might not have had that chance had Rivers not held out for so long and leave the door open. I like Derek Anderson but I'm not expecting a similar jump in play. ;)

bigbluedefense
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
I don't think anyone outside of the Browns fanbase will be pulling harder for them than me :D

The thought of the Cowboys getting a top 10 pick out the Quinn trade sends shivers down my spine. Hopefully my boy JJ will do what he does best, and screw it up somehow.

P-L
07-23-2007, 09:50 PM
This is why the NFL needs to do rookie contracts like the NBA or even MLB.

KILLERSANTA
07-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Should I buy my Dmac jersey now???

CC.SD
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Should I buy my Dmac jersey now???

I'd say the only thing standing in the way of Run DMC in Dallas is the fact that Wade really likes Michael Turner.

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 12:18 AM
I'd say the only thing standing in the way of Run DMC in Dallas is the fact that Wade really likes Michael Turner.

Or Glenn Dorsey. But, yeah.. too many things going for DMac to Dallas. The Jerry Jones/Arkansas connection is a big one.

CC.SD
07-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Or Glenn Dorsey. But, yeah.. too many things going for DMac to Dallas. The Jerry Jones/Arkansas connection is a big one.

Hey, if they sign Michael Turner they could still somehow get their hands on Dorsey.

What would he play in a 3-4? He could probably hold the end down Richard Seymour style, but I'm not certain about him playing the nose. He is a beast though.

bsaza2358
07-24-2007, 08:54 AM
All NFL players are looking out for their best interests. First round picks tend to get signed in droves right before training camp. I certainly hope for the Browns' sake that they are able to get both in camp sooner rather than later. I figure Quinn will be starting by midseason, but Thomas could be a fixture for the team at LT for the next 10-12 years. I think Thomas getting in on time is more critical than Quinn.

Crazy_Chris
07-26-2007, 07:57 PM
Good News for brown fans ...

Browns agreed to terms with T Joe Thomas, the No. 3 pick overall, on a five-year, $43 million contract. The deal includes $23 million in bonuses.

- http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

They also signed Eric Wright