PDA

View Full Version : The Open Championships

JF4
07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
It's called The Open in my books. But many of you silly Americans like to call it The British Open.

I think now is definately the time for Sergio Garcia, so talented for so long yet he still hasn't got his 1st major. Up by 3 on #2 and by 6 on the #3's I would consider it a pretty big choke jon if he lost it tommorow. I'm definately rooting for him to win now that Tiger and Mike Weir are pretty much out of the running. But hey, anything can happen, Steve Stricker shot a -7 today:eek: and we all remember what happened to the legendary Jean Van De Velde the last time The Open was played at Carnoustie.

Windy
07-21-2007, 04:04 PM
steve stricker ftw.

awfullyquiet
07-21-2007, 04:23 PM
The Open. *snickers* you call that golf?
The grass is dead as hell! You need a raft and a paddle to get to the next hole!

princefielder28
07-21-2007, 05:57 PM
My pick before the Open started was Sergio Garcia and I am pretty happy with that pick right now.

RyanLeaf#1
07-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Sergio will play about 4 over par today and someone will catch him.

neko4
07-22-2007, 05:42 AM
Go Choi!
I just recently saw the AT&T National, it was pretty good. But anyway Sergio's got it locked

Twiddler
07-22-2007, 02:38 PM
Pretty awesome tournament there today. It pretty much included anything that a golf fan could want from 72nd hole meltdowns to a constant battle for the leaderboard through the final back nine. Even better once you throw in Romero's triumpant rise to the top but being humbled on the final two to a third place finish. Then throw in a good playoff and it doesn't get much better.

RyanLeaf#1
07-22-2007, 03:43 PM
Sergio will play about 4 over par today and someone will catch him.

WOW I was right on. Way to go Harrington!!!!!

sdpads24
07-22-2007, 04:05 PM
WOW I was right on. Way to go Harrington!!!!!

I think we could all have guessed that. Sergio always seems to blow it when he's in contention for a major tournament.

RyanLeaf#1
07-22-2007, 04:38 PM
I think we could all have guessed that. Sergio always seems to blow it when he's in contention for a major tournament.

Anyone could say that now but no one else posted it. I just cant stand Garcia so im glad he choked.

sdpads24
07-22-2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone could say that now but no one else posted it. I just cant stand Garcia so im glad he choked.

I was more so trying to say that no one could have been suprised by Garcias fallout of the lead. I was glad to see a guy like Harrington win, he has always been a solid player.

comahan
07-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I was rooting for Sergio in the end, but Harrington played very well, and Im glad to see him win.

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 05:22 PM
I was rooting for Sergio in the end, but Harrington played very well, and Im glad to see him win.

Sergio just has never been able to figure out how to close out a big tournament

RyanLeaf#1
07-22-2007, 11:15 PM
Sergio just has never been able to figure out how to close out a big tournament

He usually plays good in the Ryder cup doesnt he? Or am I getting him confused with someone else?

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
Sergio was at one point considered "The One to Contend with Tiger" but he fell of that pedestal in favor of I would say, Vijay who lost to Mickelson.

Is David Duval still playing?

RyanLeaf#1
07-22-2007, 11:25 PM
Sergio was at one point considered "The One to Contend with Tiger" but he fell of that pedestal in favor of I would say, Vijay who lost to Mickelson.

Is David Duval still playing?

You see Duvals name pop up once and awhile on leaderboards. ESPN did a special on him around this time last year it was awesome. They guy really fell off the earth man. How do you go from being ranked like number 1 in the world to basicly nothing.

Gribble
07-22-2007, 11:31 PM
You see Duvals name pop up once and awhile on leaderboards. ESPN did a special on him around this time last year it was awesome. They guy really fell off the earth man. How do you go from being ranked like number 1 in the world to basicly nothing.

Tiger Woods.

sdpads24
07-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Tiger Woods.

So your saying Tiger is going to disappear from the face of the earth? Even if he does he'll still go down as one of the greatest golfers ever unlike Duval.

tEk
07-22-2007, 11:38 PM
his swing is really all about timing and rhythm. he got injured in a ski accident(shoulder IIRC) and he hasn't been the same since. his last win was the 03' or 04' Open Championship and then he fell off the face of the golfing world.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 11:50 PM

Well it happens a lot in sports. Look at Rick Ankiel, Mark Wohlers, John Rocker, Pat Burrell to a lesser extent, Vin Baker, etc. Some of those were age, but it's usually all mental IMO. Mental issues like confidence IMO are usually just as hard, if not harder, to repair than say a torn rotator cuff.

Twiddler
07-23-2007, 04:48 PM
his swing is really all about timing and rhythm. he got injured in a ski accident(shoulder IIRC) and he hasn't been the same since. his last win was the 03' or 04' Open Championship and then he fell off the face of the golfing world.

Add in the fact that he really didn't feel the need to put in the effort anymore in order to be the golfer that he could be on tour. He just believed that he would be better off "living" his life instead of constantly spending it trying to be a pro golfer which wasn't a passion to him. Its really cool in my mind that he could make a decision like that where a lot of pro athletes miss out on their lives in order to pursue something in which they are good at. Even though they may not have the passion for it.