PDA

View Full Version : Does Tim Teabow have the potential to go #1 overall?

dregolll
07-21-2007, 06:33 PM
What do you guys think about that?

princefielder28
07-21-2007, 06:35 PM
No. He has the mobility to be very successful in the NFL but he hasn't proven that he can throw consistently at a higher level. If he becomes the QB that in high school set Florida state records for passing yards them maybe I'll change my mind but his passing ability is in question for me.

volman88
07-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Way to soon to tell he hasnt even started a college game.

badgerbacker
07-21-2007, 06:48 PM
One thing is for sure. Tim Tebow has a much better shot at #1 overall than Tim Teabow does.

CC.SD
07-21-2007, 06:50 PM
One thing is for sure. Tim Tebow has a much better shot at #1 overall than Tim Teabow does.

Word. But I'd say both of them definitely have a shot at it.

BamaFalcon59
07-21-2007, 06:54 PM
Matt Stafford apparently is the next Elway according to UGA fans.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Does he have the potential? Certainly.

We at least know the kid can run with the best of them, and from his high school footage we know he has a pretty good arm. Obviously he's going to have to adjust to reading defenses and all that, but nothing has indicated he is incapable of this.

My question is if he can nail down all the intricacies of Meyer's offense. The last guy to dominate in this offense was Alex Smith, who was very bright, and the guy who ran it well last year, Chris Leak, was a true student of the game. If Tebow can put in the hours and click with Meyer's offense, he certainly has everything you want physically to be a top draft pick.

TitanHope
07-21-2007, 07:18 PM
It all depends...What's his hand size?

mqtirishfan
07-21-2007, 07:35 PM
If he can show the ability to pass the ball well and make good decisions, sure. His physical abilities and running game would be among the best for NFL QBs, but nobody knows if he can play QB well enough yet.

GoinDeepWithCJ
07-21-2007, 07:35 PM
Well which of the two projects to be a better NFL QB? Stafford or Tebow?

princefielder28
07-21-2007, 07:40 PM

I will go with Stafford.

Man_Of_Steel
07-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Potential to be number 1 overall? Absolutely. He has all the tools and measurables you look for, all he has to do is produce and so far he hasnt done anything to show me he cant.

Brilliant!
07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
I like the old fashion "drop back and throw it" QB. I wouldn't want him on my team. Find me a QB that you can compare to Peyton Manning and i'd take him over a QB that compares to Vick.

etk
07-21-2007, 08:32 PM
He already has the size and speed prototype, so in that sense he doesn't really have a ceiling for potential. 3 years of starting experience could improve his passing substantially, therefore he has the potential to go #1.

Sniper
07-21-2007, 10:05 PM

I prefer Stafford myself right now . That being said, I'd like to see Tebow throw more before I judge. All I really know about Tebow is he's good fullback option. I also do prefer pro-style quarterbacks as opposed to dual threat guys, because pro-style guys tend to be more accurate.

Apriori
07-21-2007, 10:13 PM
How does his speed translate to the NFL? He's certainly no Mike Vick, but could he pick up yards like McNabb or Cpep when he was good?

princefielder28
07-21-2007, 10:41 PM
How does his speed translate to the NFL? He's certainly no Mike Vick, but could he pick up yards like McNabb or Cpep when he was good?

I would say he has Culpepper type mobility but whether his arm strength is anywhere near that has yet to be seen

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
I saw him throw like a 70-yard pass on some video. So he has a rocket for an arm. Does he have the accuracy? is the only question about that. He has great mobility and size. So yes, he does have the potential to be one of the best QB prospects ever. He has more potential than Stafford, but Stafford is more likely to reach his.

nobodyinparticular
07-22-2007, 02:22 AM
Tebow certainly has all the tools you look for in a #1 overall pick. He has probably top 5 mobility in terms of QBs in the NFL and he has a very strong arm to go with it.

Right now he is very gun-shy--preferring to take off running rather than sit in the pocket and go through his reads. Then again, that's with a very small sample size and it was his freshman year.

He really needs a lot of refining and a lot to prove to be the #1 pick, but everyone we are looking at for the 2009 or 2010 draft needs refining and has a lot to prove.

etk
07-22-2007, 08:09 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about his speed, focus more on his scrambling ability. He's a powerful downhill runner and in the right spread offense he could be dangerous against defenses that pressure from the outside and only keep 1 LB in the middle. He won't be like Michael Vick, running all over the field and splitting the defense, but in the red zone he will be a major threat, and that's what matters.

BadgerMike
07-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Please bring up this question again after he plays a full season as the starting QB at Florida.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
He reminds me a lot like a Steve Young and if he gets stuck in a strong qb draft then he going to fall aka Matt Lineart.

schmiddog
07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
The Tebow love fest might come to a halt this season when he actually has to drop back 25 times a game vs. lightning SEC defenses on a weekly basis. He has definitely been given too much credit to this point. Sure, he's a physical specimen with all the tools and makeup, and he did some great things this past year for the UF offense (though mostly on the ground). But, until he proves himself as an excellent drop back passer with an understanding of the finer nuances of the position, we can't really make any realistic prognostications about his draft status. I suppose the potential is there though. This upcoming season will tell us a lot.

etk
07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
The Tebow love fest might come to a halt this season when he actually has to drop back 25 times a game vs. lightning SEC defenses on a weekly basis. He has definitely been given too much credit to this point. Sure, he's a physical specimen with all the tools and makeup, and he did some great things this past year for the UF offense (though mostly on the ground). But, until he proves himself as an excellent drop back passer with an understanding of the finer nuances of the position, we can't really make any realistic prognostications about his draft status. I suppose the potential is there though. This upcoming season will tell us a lot.

That's an interesting point. The SEC is a difficult place to transition to a full drop-back passer on a weekly basis, especially for an underclassman. He will have to prepare and be prepared to succeed.

Jericho@SC
07-22-2007, 05:58 PM
The thing about him though, is his mechanics are horrible. He throws the ball the way you would expect a clumsy nerd would throw it for the first time in his life.

And from what I've seen, it's very hard to change a QB's mechanics if he's especially used to throwing that way. When guys like David Carr, Phillip Rivers or Vince Young come into the league with sidearm throwing motions, teams usually either leave their mechanics alone or fail at trying to convert them (Carr).

He's definitely got potential, but I wouldn't confidently place any money on him becoming a #1 pick overall or even a first round pick. He's a risky pick. For my money I'd be a heck of a lot more confident in a guy like Matt Stafford becomin #1.

etk
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
The thing about him though, is his mechanics are horrible. He throws the ball the way you would expect a clumsy nerd would throw it for the first time in his life.

And from what I've seen, it's very hard to change a QB's mechanics if he's especially used to throwing that way. When guys like David Carr, Phillip Rivers or Vince Young come into the league with sidearm throwing motions, teams usually either leave their mechanics alone or fail at trying to convert them (Carr).

He's definitely got potential, but I wouldn't confidently place any money on him becoming a #1 pick overall or even a first round pick. He's a risky pick. For my money I'd be a heck of a lot more confident in a guy like Matt Stafford becomin #1.

With Carr, his coaches not only failed to convert his mechanics, they also failed to teach him how to read defenses, although they tried valiantly.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Mitch Mustain will go number 1 overall. :)

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Mitch Mustain will go number 1 overall. :)

If he ever plays at USC

elway777
07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
He'll have to fight off Mark Sanchez.

Jericho@SC
07-22-2007, 06:20 PM
He'll have to fight off Mark Sanchez.

Now there's a #1 overall draft pick if I've seen one...

gstock05
07-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Sure. But any quarterback in the NCAA who hasn't started a game has the "potential" to be the #1 overall pick.

Tebow needs to work on his mechanics, release, and reads. Stafford is more of a technician. Tebow isn't as much. Too early to say anything however.

Scott Wright
07-22-2007, 07:47 PM
It's way too early to say but I remember watching some of his high school clips and thinking that he might be the closest thing I've seen to Steve Young.

He is in a great situation though and is a PERFECT fit for Urban Meyer's offense. In fact, he is one of my Heisman darkhorses this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win one before he's done.

keylime_5
07-22-2007, 08:14 PM
He'll probably end up having a better career than Alex Smith did, and he's in the SEC not the MWC. Three year starter isn't a bad thing to have on your resume as a college QB. Strong arm and very mobile, needs to work on mechanics and footwork. Definitely has the potential to go #1 overall.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 09:23 AM
This thread is a joke right? Tim Tebow isn't even the best QB in the SEC East. He hasn't even started a game yet.

bored of education
07-24-2007, 09:53 AM
Over rated for no reason. Once he has a 60%+ comp, 6 straight 300 yrd games in his 1st 6 games then I'll annoit him. Jack squat as of yet.

JT Jag
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
I went to Nease. I watched Tebow play many games, personally.

And I feel obligated to tell all of you that he CAN pass. He can pass VERY effectively.

He's the best young quarterback I've seen at using his feet to set up the pass.

The best thing that Timmy has going for him is that Florida's O is, for all intents, just a fleshed out version of the Nease offense. Both utilize the spread option. He doesn't have the learning curve a lot of you think he does.

As a person who will be attending another SEC school next year (Alabama) and rooting for his failure for the first time, that scares the hell out of me.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
I went to Nease. I watched Tebow play many games, personally.

And I feel obligated to tell all of you that he CAN pass. He can pass VERY effectively.

He's the best young quarterback I've seen at using his feet to set up the pass.

The best thing that Timmy has going for him is that Florida's O is, for all intents, just a fleshed out version of the Nease offense. Both utilize the spread option. He doesn't have the learning curve a lot of you think he does.

As a person who will be attending another SEC school next year (Alabama) and rooting for his failure for the first time, that scares the hell out of me.

Ok, we cannot, repeat---cannot, label him a top notch passer until, as I said previously, we see him have some big games through the air against some of the better SEC defenses.

Also, you say his learning curve isn't as steep as we think it is. Well, I find that hard to believe, but even if his transition to full time duty at UF will be facilitated by the option et. al, he will not find those things or the presence of some gimmicky offensive setup helping him make the transition to the NFL, which is the crux of this thread.

I'm a big fan of what Tebow might bring to the table as an SEC QB over the next two or three years. But, for now, all it is is a potentiality

Staubach12
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
There's not enough evidence to say anything right now in respect to his future as an NFL prospect.

JT Jag
07-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Ok, we cannot, repeat---cannot, label him a top notch passer until, as I said previously, we see him have some big games through the air against some of the better SEC defenses.

Also, you say his learning curve isn't as steep as we think it is. Well, I find that hard to believe, but even if his transition to full time duty at UF will be facilitated by the option et. al, he will not find those things or the presence of some gimmicky offensive setup helping him make the transition to the NFL, which is the crux of this thread.

I'm a big fan of what Tebow might bring to the table as an SEC QB over the next two or three years. But, for now, all it is is a potentialityI never said he's a top passer. That's not his game. He knows that he's physically gifted, and he uses this to his advantage. He'll never be a TRUE pocket passer, but he definately knows how to create something out of nothing--- no matter how he has to do it.

In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Steve McNair.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I never said he's a top passer. That's not his game. He knows that he's physically gifted, and he uses this to his advantage. He'll never be a TRUE pocket passer, but he definately knows how to create something out of nothing--- no matter how he has to do it.

In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Steve McNair.

If he never is going to be a "TRUE" pocket passer, he will never make it in the NFL. His legs aren't that special and even the most fleet of foot QB's (Young, Vick, though the latter of these two might not matter anymore) both are going to have develop better skills in the pocket to succeed for long stretches in the NFL.

Tebow will not be able to make his career in the NFL "making something out of nothing". His mobility and improvisational skills will certainly be an asset, but they are all for naught if he can't be a great passer. Steve Young was a fine pocket passer.

JT Jag
07-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I never said he's a top passer. That's not his game. He knows that he's physically gifted, and he uses this to his advantage. He'll never be a TRUE pocket passer, but he definately knows how to create something out of nothing--- no matter how he has to do it.

In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Steve McNair.If he never is going to be a "TRUE" pocket passer, he will never make it in the NFL. His legs aren't that special and even the most fleet of foot QB's (Young, Vick, though the latter of these two might not matter anymore) both are going to have develop better skills in the pocket to succeed for long stretches in the NFL.

Tebow will not be able to make his career in the NFL "making something out of nothing". His mobility and improvisational skills will certainly be an asset, but they are all for naught if he can't be a great passer. Steve Young was a fine pocket passer.I never said Steve Young, and I don't think Tebow is like Steve Young. Steve Young was far more developed when it comes to the drop back and pass game then Tebow is now at this respective point in their football careers.

Again, he reminds me of McNair, the most legitimate dual-threat QB of the current crop of NFL passers. McNair, in his formative years, always looked to run first. He got too beat up and old for that, so he grew out of it and became better for it. I see that as Tebow's destiny, if he ever gets the opportunity to go pro. And, yes, I do agree that that is a big if.

mil_brew_fan
07-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Tim Tebow will not be a great NFL quarterback. He's very athletic but defenses in the NFL are just too fast for someone with his type of game to be successful. He's not Vince Young, so he would struggle to be a above-average quarterback in the NFL.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Tebow certainly has all the tools you look for in a #1 overall pick. He has probably top 5 mobility in terms of QBs in the NFL and he has a very strong arm to go with it.

Right now he is very gun-shy--preferring to take off running rather than sit in the pocket and go through his reads. Then again, that's with a very small sample size and it was his freshman year.

He really needs a lot of refining and a lot to prove to be the #1 pick, but everyone we are looking at for the 2009 or 2010 draft needs refining and has a lot to prove.Except Myron Rolle unless you meant QB.

YAYareaRB
07-25-2007, 12:01 AM
I hope Tebow can prove that he can throw consistently. He could be the next Failure QB or the next Steve Young.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
He is in a great situation though and is a PERFECT fit for Urban Meyer's offense. In fact, he is one of my Heisman darkhorses this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't win one before he's done.
You wouldn't be suprised if he did win a Heisman you mean? Double negatives make my eyes bleed.

Jericho@SC
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I'd feel better about Tebow's chances if he were being coached by say, Norm Chow vice Urban Meyer.

Meyer's a great coach and he was a big part in helping Alex Smith get drafted, but I'm still not convinced that he can groom great pocket passers like Chow did. If anything, NFL GMs might be wary of drafting Tebow b/c of Meyer. They might be afraid he'd be another Alex Smith.

Meyer's strength lies in his scheme and his ability to teach it to dual threat QB's and help them be successful in the college game. I don't know about his ability to turn Tebow into a 65% passer that can read defenses well and show good footwork and mechanics in 5 step, 7 step drops.

Shiver
07-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I'd feel better about Tebow's chances if he were being coached by say, Norm Chow vice Urban Meyer.

Meyer's a great coach and he was a big part in helping Alex Smith get drafted, but I'm still not convinced that he can groom great pocket passers like Chow did. If anything, NFL GMs might be wary of drafting Tebow b/c of Meyer. They might be afraid he'd be another Alex Smith.

Meyer's strength lies in his scheme and his ability to teach it to dual threat QB's and help them be successful in the college game. I don't know about his ability to turn Tebow into a 65% passer that can read defenses well and show good footwork and mechanics in 5 step, 7 step drops.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Alex Smith seemingly has a bright future in the league.

VY10
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

If only Alex Smith could stiff arm linebackers....

lod01
07-31-2007, 03:22 PM
Has he ever thrown a meaningful pass in a college game? I mean come on. He may be something someday but all he is now is a RB who takes direct snaps from center. I have yet to see anyhting that makes him NFL material as a QB.

Sniper
07-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Has he ever thrown a meaningful pass in a college game?

Wasn't the jump pass vs. LSU? Tebow was 2-2 for 36 yards and 2 TD vs. LSU. That's meaningful to me. But he does need work. 1 for 1 with a TD vs. Ohio State

YAYareaRB
07-31-2007, 03:37 PM
Wasn't the jump pass vs. LSU? Tebow was 2-2 for 36 yards and 2 TD vs. LSU. That's meaningful to me. But he does need work. 1 for 1 with a TD vs. Ohio State

Not to mention that throw also beat LSU.. Which I almost cried for!

YAYareaRB
07-31-2007, 03:38 PM

Alex Smith isn't the worst Tebow could end up like. There ARE worst Urban Meyer QBs like CHRIS LEAK!

yourfavestoner
07-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Alex Smith isn't the worst Tebow could end up like. There ARE worst Urban Meyer QBs like CHRIS LEAK!

Chris Leak is no Urban Meyer quarterback. Although he IS terrible.

Chris Leak never became the player he was supposed to be. This is for a number of reasons. Firstly, he was thrown into the fire as a true freshman, and had no real upperclassman quarterbacks to show him the ropes. He had a different offensive coordinator in each of his first three seasons. And the only offensive coordinator that he had for consecutive seasons ran an offense that Leak didn't fit.

However, Leak deserves his fair share of the blame. I fully believe that Leak could have fit in Meyer's offense. It's not like he isn't athletic. He's actually pretty mobile. He's just too big of a puss to take a hit, which is why he also consistently flopped against teams that could get pressure on him consistently and rattle him.

As far as Tebow goes...he absolutely has the potential to go number one overall. I don't see how you could argue that he doesn't. The true test will come this year, when we see how much Alex Smith has developed. If Smith continues to progress, then I think we'll see Tebow's stock rise with it (as long as Tebow is producing, of course). If Tebow develops as expected, he could go down as one of the best college football players ever. It's all on him, though.

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:36 PM
What do you guys think about that?

Short answer ... potential ... yes. Has a lot of development to do.