PDA

View Full Version : I am starting to loose my respect for ESPN

TCU
07-22-2007, 12:27 AM
i dont know why ESPN is doing this but the are going down, and if anyone was watching the whole David Beckham Chelsea game on ESPN you might have been thought you were watching the E channel. Also the Who's Now is just a stupid way to bring Hollywood actors who dont know sh*t to talk about sports. They have dumb basketball commentators becoming their boxing experts and all of the sudden expert legal analyzers (i think you know who I am talking about and if you dont then quite frankly your stupid). What ever happened to the old ESPN because this new one sure sucks.

neko4
07-22-2007, 12:28 AM
i dont know why ESPN is doing this but the are going down, and if anyone was watching the whole David Beckham Chelsea game on ESPN you might have been thought you were watching the E channel. Also the Who's Now is just a stupid way to bring Hollywood actors who dont know sh*t to talk about sports. They have dumb basketball commentators becoming their boxing experts and all of the sudden expert legal analyzers (i think you know who I am talking about and if you dont then quite frankly your stupid). What ever happened to the old ESPN because this new one sure sucks.

Thank You, I hope their NFL segments can stay decent

Windy
07-22-2007, 12:30 AM
i can deal with the beckham thing because it's a big event for the sport and it's in LA. who's now is probably the worst thing i've seen on ESPN since Len Pasquarelli's hair.

ccB
07-22-2007, 12:31 AM
EDIT: NVM read it wrong

Vikes99ej
07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's bothering me, too.

TCU
07-22-2007, 12:32 AM
Are You Calling The Great Bill Walton Dumb!

no im calling this man dumb

http://www.midwood.net/brent/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/smith.jpg

ccB
07-22-2007, 12:38 AM

Yeah I read what you said wrong at first and edited it before you posted this picture.

TCU
07-22-2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah I read what you said wrong at first and edited it before you posted this picture.

yeah i noticed that after i posted that, i wish there was still the delete post feature.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Whose now started sucking when Roger Federer and Michael Phelps lost in round 1.

Boston
07-22-2007, 12:56 AM
I begrudgingly watch ESPN when I want to see Brewers highlights, but other than that, it's hard to sit through an entire segment. It makes me want to loose my mind.

Stash
07-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Whose now started sucking when Roger Federer and Michael Phelps lost in round 1.

Agreed, that stupid little segment is BS because it incorporates an athletes off-field "status" instead of just deciding on who's the best athlete.

KCJ58
07-22-2007, 01:03 AM

I agree old ESPN (Sportscenter) is way better but i still watch it everyday and whos now is just a segment to eat up time and its dumb

BrownsTown
07-22-2007, 01:07 AM
Agreed, that stupid little segment is BS because it incorporates an athletes off-field "status" instead of just deciding on who's the best athlete.

Seriously, Federer loses to Parker, Crosby loses to Jeter, Ronaldinho to Kobe, it's just a popularity contest and it has nothing to do with determining the best athelete.

someone447
07-22-2007, 01:11 AM
The only thing ESPN is good for is PTI. Kornheiser and Wilbon are the only people on that entire damn channel worth watching.

The fact that Woody Paige and Skip Bayless were able to even get a job made me lose any sort of respect I could have possibly had a long time ago.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 01:17 AM
Federer to Parker was rediculous.

Crosby should be above Jeter, due to the fact that Crosby is probably the best player in the NHL while Jeter, while great, isn't top 10 in the MLB.

Ronaldino to Kobe is debatable. Both are argueably the best in their respective sports. Ronaldino just makes people look silly and Kobe is all NBA defense and can score from anywhere.

I think Phelps should have beaten Shaq as well. He is as dominant as anyone in the world and is probably in his prime. Shaq is on the downside and has been for a while.

TitleTown088
07-22-2007, 01:17 AM
There is only two things in Bristol, Conn, Steers and queers. And I don't see many steers.

Sniper
07-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Seriously, Federer loses to Parker, Crosby loses to Jeter, Ronaldinho to Kobe, it's just a popularity contest and it has nothing to do with determining the best athelete.

Isn't Who's Now counting off the field stuff too though? I mean Parker's got the hot wife thing going on and he just won the Finals MVP. I know Federer won Wimbledon, but in the U.S the NBA is bigger than tennis. Crosby, while I'm a huge fan, doesn't have the same endorsements going on in the U.S as Jeter does even though he's better in his sport. Ronaldinho had no business losing to Kobe, but the other two I can understand, though I would have gone the other way.

The Dynasty
07-22-2007, 01:25 AM
The only thing ESPN is good for is PTI. Kornheiser and Wilbon are the only people on that entire damn channel worth watching.

The fact that Woody Paige and Skip Bayless were able to even get a job made me lose any sort of respect I could have possibly had a long time ago.

Same with Mariotti, I hate watching Around the horn when he is on because he think he is a now it all and just annoying. I really dont watch sportcenter that much anymore instead i watch ESPN news channel which is highlight after highlight pretty much and not the Who's Now thing or other things.

Also, If the Who's Now thing was truly international the 2 soccer stars in the competition would have been in the final(Beckham vs Ronaldinho) because Soccer is with out a doubt the most popular sport in the world. Then again even Federer could have been in the final because of his status around the world.

Sniper
07-22-2007, 01:26 AM
Same with Mariotti

Ozzie Guillen got something right.

Cashmoney
07-22-2007, 01:40 AM
The only good things that come from espn are PTI, and their commercials.

neko4
07-22-2007, 01:41 AM

well i like woody, but not skip, PTI i great and I still like the Swami and the other NFL guys, except light bulb head

pierce2walker
07-22-2007, 01:41 AM
Thank You, I hope their NFL segments can stay decent
You think the NFL segment is decent? Merill Hoge, Sean Salsbury, Mike Golic, Michael Irvin, Keyshawn, and Mark Schlerith beg to differ (sorry about the spellings on the names).

pierce2walker
07-22-2007, 01:43 AM

Even if it is based on off field status the whole thing is still BS...Beckham, the most recognized player in the world's most recognized sport got a 7 seed and lost his matchup...

neko4
07-22-2007, 01:44 AM
You think the NFL segment is decent? Merill Hoge, Sean Salsbury, Mike Golic, Michael Irvin, Keyshawn, and Mark Schlerith beg to differ (sorry about the spellings on the names).

I said decent, and Chris Berman is still good IMO

pierce2walker
07-22-2007, 01:50 AM

Yea Berman and Tom Jackson are still great and a great combo...but the other "expert analysts" just ruin it...I personally cannot bear watching them...the only time I can watch is when Jackson and Berman are on...they are great together...but other then that I cant stand it

Sniper
07-22-2007, 01:51 AM

Berman gets so annoying some times. Merril Hoge is a joke. Remember his thing against VY? Massive tool. I can tolerate Schlereth and Keyshawn wasn't all that bad at the Draft, but I'll wait till he's on more before passing full judgment.

The Unseen
07-22-2007, 05:47 AM
I watch SportsCenter everyday, so I have little room to talk. However, I do think some of the stuff they do is a bit ridiculous.

WMD
07-22-2007, 05:54 AM
Yeah, I watched a little bit of the Beckham game tonight.. One of the commentators asked one of the others "Do we have a team in Minnesota?"

Uh.. yeah...I don't know what ESPN is on lately..

Bills2083
07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I have very litte respect for ESPN. They rarely ever talk about the Bills, and if they do, they only bash them. They barely talk about hockey. I remember one time, they were saying something about the all-time points leader, and they couldn't even get that right. They said it was Mark Messier (1887 points). Gretzky is the all-time points leader, with 2857

neko4
07-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Yeah, I watched a little bit of the Beckham game tonight.. One of the commentators asked one of the others "Do we have a team in Minnesota?"

Uh.. yeah...I don't know what ESPN is on lately..

Are they gonna show soccer games on a regular basis now? If they do I'll be pissed.

awfullyquiet
07-22-2007, 08:43 AM
well well well. mariotti bashing.
i mean. maybe on ATH he's hella annoying (mostly because woody page and cowlisher are idiots and he talks funny. but at least he makes decent points... the shows screwed up anyways. i read his sun times column though. which is good. it's the only reason to ever read the sun times though. just note that)

you know what i miss? i, max. i though it was decently hilarious. these quasi-comedy sport shows... Tony K and the Wilbon are fantastic. K needs to quit MNF, he sounds ********. Sure, when he's on PTI he's got his **** down like whoa. But MNF. Horrid. You know who was really good on MNF?
******* DICK VERMEIL. That was probably the greatest MNF commentation i've heard. I'm mildly in love with Dick Vermeil though. His voice. mmmmm.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-22-2007, 08:48 AM
I like Who's Now because of Kevin James. The man is awesome.

Gribble
07-22-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm pretty much sick of their effort to incorporate "amazing" stories into sports. That's when I flip the channel. This Who's Now stuff gets on my last nerve too. Seriously, is this isn't E News...

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 09:23 AM
They also show to much stupid sports (IMO). Armwrestling. Way too many poker shows. Too much bull riding. Etc.

alca1992
07-22-2007, 09:39 AM

"QUITE FRANKLY STEPHEN A. SMITH IS THE BEST THING ON ESPN, HELL ON T.V. PEOPLE WATCH THE NBA DRAFT JUST TO SEE STEPHEN A. SMITH'S OPINIONS. QUITE FRANKLY STEPHEN A. SMITH IS A GOD."

- Stephen A. Smith

Paul
07-22-2007, 10:48 AM
I'm shocked that in a ESPN bashing thread this man hasn't been brought up:

http://www.stucknut.com/bio/images/skip_bayless.gif

BrownsTown
07-22-2007, 11:33 AM
I'm shocked that in a ESPN bashing thread this man hasn't been brought up:

http://www.stucknut.com/bio/images/skip_bayless.gif

Skip Bayless, the man who has a vendetta against LeBron. He still won't admit LeBron is good even after the 48 point epic against Detroit.

fischbowl
07-22-2007, 11:46 AM
I have very litte respect for ESPN. They rarely ever talk about the Bills, and if they do, they only bash them. They barely talk about hockey. I remember one time, they were saying something about the all-time points leader, and they couldn't even get that right. They said it was Mark Messier (1887 points). Gretzky is the all-time points leader, with 2857

I agree. Despite losing massive revenue, hockey still is one of the four major sports in the United States. The only reason they barely talk about it is because ESPN doesn't have any contract with the league itself (lack of games/highlights period IMO). Barry Melrose is still respectable though. Your right about the Bills bashing too. Those greedy ***** can care less about us because we're a small market. Well I have news for them. Sabres players accounted for a lot of this years jersey sales in the NHL. Small market my ass.

The only reason I still view ESPN is for ESPN News (and PTI). I truly miss the goold anchors, Dan Patrick, Kenny Mayne, Bob Ley, and even Brian Kenny, who has been reduced to boxing. They need to cut the paparazzi **** and focus on sports.

SubNoize
07-22-2007, 11:51 AM
I agree. Despite losing massive revenue, hockey still is one of the four major sports in the United States.

I don't think it is, even though i don't consider it a sport i think nascar has surpassed hockey easily. i think even golf has become more popular here in the states. if i had to make a list i'd say 1.nfl 2. mlb 3.nba 4.nascar 5. golf and i only give it a few years before ufc slips past hockey as well.

Brent
07-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I stopped watching ESPN unless it's an actual sporting event or the NFL sunday countdown but even that show has problems (i.e. Mortensen & Fantasy stuff). I miss the old days of SportsCenter with Keith Olbermann, Dan Patrick, Craig Kilborn, Kenny Mayne and Rich Eisen.

fischbowl
07-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I don't think it is, even though i don't consider it a sport i think nascar has surpassed hockey easily. i think even golf has become more popular here in the states. if i had to make a list i'd say 1.nfl 2. mlb 3.nba 4.nascar 5. golf and i only give it a few years before ufc slips past hockey as well.

you could be right about Nascar but I wouldn't agree with golf. We'll see how it plays out this year. Truly Gary Bettman led hockey into the dark ages but Im looking for a resurgence.

LonghornsLegend
07-22-2007, 11:54 AM

you say that as if derek jeter, and kobe are bums, or mediocre at best at what they do...parker is an all pro point guard, and finals mvp, and still really young...kobe is arguably the best player in the NBA right now...why wouldnt crosby lose to jeter, even if it was just whose the better athlete?

some of you guys nitpick, and find things to gripe about...so what, im just glad they still have sportscenter running because as much as it has things that annoy me i still get to see highlights and thats the reason i watch...
ill admit they've gotten a little distasteful with the vick comments and reports, but i live with it and i know im gonna still watch

and I dont get the Stephen A Smith bashing, but i guess everyone isnt gonna like you no matter who you are...regardless of what you say or like, he's educated, opinionated, and athletes respect him all over...no one ever minds giving him the interview, or talking to him about a pressing issue....he doesnt go out of line like limbaugh and just throw out crazy things week in and out but he'll still speak his mind and he really does know the game of basketball very well

Brent
07-22-2007, 11:55 AM
Oh, I almost forgot, Skip Bayless, Stephen A. Smith and Jay Mariotti, are the worst people working at that network.

Hines
07-22-2007, 12:06 PM
Berman gets so annoying some times. Merril Hoge is a joke. Remember his thing against VY? Massive tool. I can tolerate Schlereth and Keyshawn wasn't all that bad at the Draft, but I'll wait till he's on more before passing full judgment.

marino,sharpe,boomer eisaisin(sp),jim brown,deion>keyshawn,schlereth,salsburry,jackson,berman

imo and yes that is the cbs crew

SubNoize
07-22-2007, 12:08 PM
marino,sharpe,boomer eisaisin(sp),jim brown,deion>keyshawn,schlereth,salsburry,jackson,berman

imo and yes that is the cbs crew

minus sharpe, he's so damn annoying and i'm tired of hearing his gross bronco bias on everything...

Hines
07-22-2007, 12:09 PM
minus sharpe, he's so damn annoying and i'm tired of hearing his gross bronco bias on everything...

well i meant as a whole...hell i dont watch it but i think fox is better then espn...but i mean in all honesty i do like hoge
haha
and yes that is because he played for the steelers

Brodeur
07-22-2007, 12:13 PM
You mean you're just starting to lose respect?

Vikes99ej
07-22-2007, 12:17 PM
David Beckham talks like such a sissy.

Smokey Joe
07-22-2007, 12:39 PM
ESPN is total garbage. The "Who's Now" thing is total garbage, except for Kevin "Doug Heffernan" James and Adam Sandler. I've never had respect for them.

soybean
07-22-2007, 01:11 PM
you know what i miss? i, max. i though it was decently hilarious. these quasi-comedy sport shows... Tony K and the Wilbon are fantastic. K needs to quit MNF, he sounds ********. Sure, when he's on PTI he's got his **** down like whoa. But MNF. Horrid. You know who was really good on MNF?
******* DICK VERMEIL. That was probably the greatest MNF commentation i've heard. I'm mildly in love with Dick Vermeil though. His voice. mmmmm.

seriously. i loved his hate mail. I liked the fact that he was a smug bastard and didn't give a sh*t about what anyone else said or thought.

that's probably the reason he got cancelled though...

soybean
07-22-2007, 01:12 PM
You mean you're just starting to lose respect?

TCU education, go figure.

BrownsTown
07-22-2007, 01:16 PM
ESPN can regain some of the respect I lost for it if they bring back Max Kellerman to host Around the Horn. He was hilarious.

Brent
07-22-2007, 03:41 PM
ESPN can regain some of the respect I lost for it if they bring back Max Kellerman to host Around the Horn. He was hilarious.
I believe he went to HBO for boxing/money.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 03:49 PM
you say that as if derek jeter, and kobe are bums, or mediocre at best at what they do...parker is an all pro point guard, and finals mvp, and still really young...kobe is arguably the best player in the NBA right now...why wouldnt crosby lose to jeter, even if it was just whose the better athlete?

Crosby- Best player in NHL
Jeter- Probably not top 10 in MLB

Moses
07-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Crosby- Best player in NHL
Jeter- Probably not top 10 in MLB

I wouldn't agree with that.

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, hes top 5. Would you agree with that?

Jeter isn't top 5.

TCU
TCU education, go figure.

yeah im in high school still.

doingthisinsteadofwork
I hate ESPN.The whos now thing is ridiculous.Tiger against Matt Leinart whos more now.Hmmm.ummmm i dunno maybe Tiger. Also unless your team is the Yankees or somebody like that they will never talk about your team.
The Beckam thing is stupid to.For awhile there every commercial break had that lousy commercial.All of a sudden Beckam comes to America and Soccer is a big event.THe only reason he came over here is because hes not good enough to play in Europe anymore.

TCU
07-22-2007, 04:06 PM
I hate ESPN.The whos now thing is ridiculous.Tiger against Matt Leinart whos more now.Hmmm.ummmm i dunno maybe Tiger. Also unless your team is the Yankees or somebody like that they will never talk about your team.
The Beckam thing is stupid to.For awhile there every commercial break had that lousy commercial.All of a sudden Beckam comes to America and Soccer is a big event.THe only reason he came over here is because hes not good enough to play in Europe anymore.

i agree with everything you say but that last part, he can play and he proved it at the end of the season for madrid, real madrid admitted letting him go was a mistake, granted he is overrated but he can play but thats besides the point that ESPN is starting to suck in most everything they do know.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Its hard to believe that some people like Tod McShay have a job there.one time he was supposed to be discussing he AFC West rookies and instead he said that Bowe would make the most impact and then started talking about Indy.He completely left out Oakland,Denver,and SD.

JCutlery
07-22-2007, 04:16 PM
I completely agree. I also think Who's Now is stupid. I mean, c'mon, what the hell is the point of comparing athletes from different sports? It is the summer, though, and they have nothing better to do.

cardsalltheway
07-22-2007, 04:19 PM
To the people complaining about "Who's Now" it's meant to be about off-the-field buzz. If it was about the best athletes, it would be "Who's Best" but ESPN intended it to be the most well known and popular athletes there are. They aren't dumb enough to think that Matt Leinart is an elite athlete in this world.

TCU
07-22-2007, 04:24 PM
yeah we all know its for off the field buzz, but its so stupid, i would much rather see something like 50 states in 50 days over who's now though.

JCutlery
07-22-2007, 04:26 PM

Martin Brodeur, Nik Lidstrom in my opinion are better, just to name a few.

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 05:36 PM
I don't know if this was brought up but they have a former basketball analysis doing NASCAR. I can't even believe him when he talks b/c he prolly doesn't.

Boston
07-22-2007, 06:01 PM
They need to stop accepting former players that can no longer cut it on the field, and want to remain in the limelight, like, well, everybody.

S4L
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM

It can be argued that Crosby's not the best player in the NHL, but there's a reason that he won the league MVP at only 19. If that would happen in the NBA as opposed the the NHL, he would definitely be more now.

I can't believe I just said that last part.

Hines
07-22-2007, 06:07 PM
has anyone else noticed that all espn talks about is either vick,peyton,brady or the yankees like they are some kind of gods and then for other teams its like five seconds and they are done witht hem...some may never get any play on espn

TCU
07-22-2007, 09:15 PM
alright its nice to see that you all out there are concerned too with the direction that ESPN seems to be heading.

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 09:18 PM
has anyone else noticed that all espn talks about is either vick,peyton,brady or the yankees like they are some kind of gods and then for other teams its like five seconds and they are done witht hem...some may never get any play on espn

They never talk about the Milwaukee Brewers who are leading the NL Central towards the end of July. They're a feel good story, but they don't have the star power or get into trouble to make much of the show.

'cuse-213
07-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Shaun White shoulda won the the whos now, and im not that big a fan of his.

Canadian_kid16
07-22-2007, 09:28 PM

you need to realize that ESPN has an east coast, specifically a bias to teams in the New York, New England area...thats the way the media works...they show alot on the big teams so that they get alot of people watching it...

personally, only reason I want ESPN up here in Canada is because i want full coverage on the NFL Draft, and I want to see the alst 5 mintues of PTI...other than that, the sports channels we have here are fine

'cuse-213
07-22-2007, 09:32 PM
only reason I want ESPN up here in Canada is because i want full coverage on the NFL Draft

NFL Network blows espn outta the water with that. and pretty much everything.

Canadian_kid16
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
NFL Network blows espn outta the water with that. and pretty much everything.

damn, dfunny thing is I HAD NFL Network for a day...it was supposed to be Fox News...now it is Fox News :(

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Well I would love to start a sports network but I'm both a realist and don't work; so that would suck.

But there are so many problems with ESPN.

1)-SportsCenter is centered around sports. Not, off-field buzz. I don't mind the highlights still, even though Steiner, Mayne, Patrick, Eisen (though someone said he was a dick oh well..) and pre-eye Stu Scott were all great back in the late 90s. The plain set, with just ESPN in tan behind the analysts; was the last time SC was great. They ruin the show with Who's Now. I am completely aware that sports are slow now, but can't they do something more interesting?

How about since they are a best at covering the NFL, they do something called "NFL Fix". Basically they do a 5-minute piece on an NFL team, show highlights and discuss the team's outlook on the season. Do this in August.

But in July, do something that's informative, entertaining and that could provide some intrigue to the show. It could be what they did in 50 States in 50 Days only abbreviated. Pick a state, let's just use New Jersey for an example.

1) Discuss Rutgers football for 3 or so minutes. Get Herbstriet and Corso (or better yet, LOCAL personalities) to talk about the team's outlook.

2) Then go off and do a spotlight on an oddball sport (like 50/50) for a minute or so.

3) Play some Springsteen over the RU highlights.

I picked my home state, but if it were New York

1)-Giants, Bills and Jets outlook
2)-Yankees, Mets midseason review
3)-Rangers, Sabres Islanders outlook
4)-Same with NBA

I mean, due to time constraints, I would assume this would take 15-20 minutes. Also, they would probably lose viewers from certain states, but how about this.

Do the whole show, add a movable set, in New York or the state. I mean you would get fan reaction, of course that would annoy some but it would be nice to hear boos and cheers and stuff like that.

2) I am all for original sports programming. I loved Playmakers but they got ***** - slapped by the NFL for that. But my idea would be this.

1:00 AM - 12:00 Noon (or 12:30, depends on time), show SportsCenter
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM PBA Bowling, or whatever sport is on
---------Now the real "shows"
3:00-3:30 PM should be my idea for a show called "Down on the Farm", basically with the buzz on prospects always being high; ESPN should do a 30 minute show on prospect updates. Basically it would be in format to Baseball Tonight. Since it's an afternoon hour, ratings would be low naturally but 1st and 10 is lame IMO especially with higher quality opinion shows (PTI, ATH even JRIB). I would watch this.
3:30-4:00 PM - Original Show (brainfart what comes on)
4:00-4:30 PM - Jim Rome Is Burning
4:30-5:00 PM - NFL Live---Just seems like a better spot
5-6 ATH / PTI
Then SC
Now this is the good part. Make original shows if an NFL/MLB/NBA game isn't on. I would love to see an original MLB show or a new stab at the NFL. Hell, even more movies would be sick.

Boston
07-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Whatever happened to Tilt? I'm not sure if that was on ESPN or ESPN2, but that was a show worth watching.

Philliez01
07-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Tilt was a pretty watchable show, but they haven't announced anything in bringing it back for a 2nd go.

07-23-2007, 09:43 AM
They hardly show any highlights of anything anymore. During Basketball Season I noticed that when I wanted to see some Rockets highlights it would only be for about 10-15 seconds for every Basketball game and now that it's Baseball Season they do the same thing show a couple of nice plays a HR and thats it about 25 seconds of highlights. It's like watching the local stations. It's BS they talk more about little johnny losing his legs in an accident and they give him a wish. I don't care I'm not watching FOX or ABC I'm watching ESPN (or at least I thought I was) Go back to the old ESPN!

P-L
07-23-2007, 09:51 AM
This is why God invented ESPNews people.

07-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Yea they have an ESPNnews, but they only show a couple of seconds worth of highlights for a game they try and squeeze everything into just 30 minutes.

LionSmack
07-23-2007, 10:42 AM
It's BS they talk more about little johnny losing his legs in an accident and they give him a wish. I don't care

lol so harsh but so true.

You know what makes it seem worse right now is, it's the slow season. They're coming off the mid March-early June period which is jam packed full of all kinds of sports. You could watch ESPN all the time during those months and get mostly fresh info and analysis on current events.

Now, they still want to keep you watching as much in July and August but there's probably one-sixth the current sports going on. So some idiot comes up with stuff they think we'd like... like terminally ill kids meeting athletes... or uh, some stupid tournament on who's the most metrosexual.

As for Stephen A., you remember a little while back when his show got cancelled, I remember a couple of weeks after that he appeared on some NBA segment and seemed really calm, like he was discussing sports like a normal guy would, and I thought maybe he learned that people don't like someone who shouts every last thing they say and he might improve. But a month later he was right back to shouting and insulting everyone. Some people never learn.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Starting to lose respect? I lost all of it a few years ago. ESPN is a joke any more. They are a cheap imitation of what they used to be back in the 90s, aka the last time they had credibility.

Scar
07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
I noticed a few months back that I'd subconciously started flipping to the local cable sports station first instead of ESPN when I went to the block of sports stations. Too much poker or something...not sure what exactly it was, but yeah, ESPN hasn't been my primary destination for sports for quite a while now. Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it was whatever I was trying to watch getting preempted anytime Barry Bonds came up to bat for weeks on end a summer or two ago when I first realized I was pretty disgusted with ESPN.

Moses
07-23-2007, 11:20 AM
I noticed a few months back that I'd subconciously started flipping to the local cable sports station first instead of ESPN when I went to the block of sports stations. Too much poker or something...not sure what exactly it was, but yeah, ESPN hasn't been my primary destination for sports for quite a while now. Actually, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure it was whatever I was trying to watch getting preempted anytime Barry Bonds came up to bat for weeks on end a summer or two ago when I first realized I was pretty disgusted with ESPN.

I HATE poker on TV. I enjoy playing and all and even watched the WSOP on TV when poker was rarely on. However, poker is deathly boring on TV and it's not even a sport that goes well on TV because they can't show all the hands. It's on every channel too. So annoying.

TCU
07-23-2007, 11:22 AM
not only ESPN but i hate their website, everytime i log on i have to pause the stupid video because Stuart Scott is yelling, the best things on the site you have to pay for. Thats why i love yahoo sports until they changed their website to be more like ESPN

fischbowl
07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Well I would love to start a sports network but I'm both a realist and don't work; so that would suck.

But there are so many problems with ESPN.

1)-SportsCenter is centered around sports. Not, off-field buzz. I don't mind the highlights still, even though Steiner, Mayne, Patrick, Eisen (though someone said he was a dick oh well..) and pre-eye Stu Scott were all great back in the late 90s. The plain set, with just ESPN in tan behind the analysts; was the last time SC was great. They ruin the show with Who's Now. I am completely aware that sports are slow now, but can't they do something more interesting?

How about since they are a best at covering the NFL, they do something called "NFL Fix". Basically they do a 5-minute piece on an NFL team, show highlights and discuss the team's outlook on the season. Do this in August.

But in July, do something that's informative, entertaining and that could provide some intrigue to the show. It could be what they did in 50 States in 50 Days only abbreviated. Pick a state, let's just use New Jersey for an example.

1) Discuss Rutgers football for 3 or so minutes. Get Herbstriet and Corso (or better yet, LOCAL personalities) to talk about the team's outlook.

2) Then go off and do a spotlight on an oddball sport (like 50/50) for a minute or so.

3) Play some Springsteen over the RU highlights.

I picked my home state, but if it were New York

1)-Giants, Bills and Jets outlook
2)-Yankees, Mets midseason review
3)-Rangers, Sabres Islanders outlook
4)-Same with NBA

I mean, due to time constraints, I would assume this would take 15-20 minutes. Also, they would probably lose viewers from certain states, but how about this.

Do the whole show, add a movable set, in New York or the state. I mean you would get fan reaction, of course that would annoy some but it would be nice to hear boos and cheers and stuff like that.

2) I am all for original sports programming. I loved Playmakers but they got ***** - slapped by the NFL for that. But my idea would be this.

1:00 AM - 12:00 Noon (or 12:30, depends on time), show SportsCenter
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM PBA Bowling, or whatever sport is on
---------Now the real "shows"
3:00-3:30 PM should be my idea for a show called "Down on the Farm", basically with the buzz on prospects always being high; ESPN should do a 30 minute show on prospect updates. Basically it would be in format to Baseball Tonight. Since it's an afternoon hour, ratings would be low naturally but 1st and 10 is lame IMO especially with higher quality opinion shows (PTI, ATH even JRIB). I would watch this.
3:30-4:00 PM - Original Show (brainfart what comes on)
4:00-4:30 PM - Jim Rome Is Burning
4:30-5:00 PM - NFL Live---Just seems like a better spot
5-6 ATH / PTI
Then SC
Now this is the good part. Make original shows if an NFL/MLB/NBA game isn't on. I would love to see an original MLB show or a new stab at the NFL. Hell, even more movies would be sick.

I love the Down On The Farm idea Philliez

BamaFalcon59
07-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Although Stephen A. Smith isn't great...

Stephen A. Smith > Jim Rome

sdpads24
07-23-2007, 02:20 PM
I know that ESPN sucks. The main channel is mostly used to pimp terrible docu-drama and try to get people to vote in online polls that don't mean anything. However, I for one don't really care that much. Sports is sports and you shouldn't take it too seriously. Besides, when something big happens, ESPN usually comes through with proper reporting and gravitas.

TCU
07-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Although Stephen A. Smith isn't great...

Stephen A. Smith > Jim Rome

Yeah but its Jim Rome, that guys is a joke.

Brent
07-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Playmakers was one of the best things the network ever did.

DLS42
07-23-2007, 06:37 PM
The old good things ESPN has to offer these days is ESPNU and American Gladiators reruns.

The Dynasty
07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
They need to use Spell check.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r60/dynasty9889/EspnMistake.jpg

Goodall?

Philliez01
07-23-2007, 08:23 PM
I love the Down On The Farm idea Philliez

I don't see why they don't have a minor league show. I mean, people would love to see some clips on their organization's top prospects. Since I don't have MILB TV yet, I'd like to see some Carlos Carrasco, Josh Outman and Andrew Carpenter but also some Jaba Chamberlain, Kershaw, Buchholz, etc.

fischbowl
07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't see why they don't have a minor league show. I mean, people would love to see some clips on their organization's top prospects. Since I don't have MILB TV yet, I'd like to see some Carlos Carrasco, Josh Outman and Andrew Carpenter but also some Jaba Chamberlain, Kershaw, Buchholz, etc.

theres an MiLb TV?

Id love to see any form of show regarding the minors.

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 11:09 PM
They need to use Spell check.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r60/dynasty9889/EspnMistake.jpg

Goodall?

one letter is no big deal in a name

yodabear
07-23-2007, 11:18 PM
U have a lot more patience than I do TCU, I lost respect a long time ago cuz I feel they talk too much about the east coast. I mean, I actually have to read the papers to read who is in first place in the west divisions of the leagues. Yes, I am a lazy tard, but I don't hear about them. The only reason I hear about the midwest is cuz I live in the midwest. The only west coast story I hear about is Barry Bonds. I mean the Rockies are near .500, that is good for them, the Royals have caught the White Sox, which is good for them. I mean the Yankees lose a game and its time to have debate #145 whether or not the Yankees are done. And then the Yankees beat the Devil Rays and its like can the Yankees catch the Red Sox? There are closer races and they aren't talking about them. How about Seattle, how about Cleveland, how about the Cubs in the second city, who is even leading the NL west? Its the Padres I think at least at the all star break it was, and at the all star break they had a guy leading the league in wins, in ERA, and in strikeouts, but the best team in the NL is the Mets. Whats the highlight from the 7 game NLCS they show all the time? Endy Chavez's catch which ended up meaning crap cuz the Cards won any way after Molina hit a homer over his head. Yes, it was one of the nicest catches I have seen and I went speechless for 15 minutes, but the Cards still won the series. Okay, I am gonna go on. I am sick of hearing about the freekin' Patriots. Who won the super bowl last year? But who cares, the Pats and Boys all the way this year! Adam Vinatieri, Tom Brady, and Derrek Jeter are Gods. And oh yeah, The Bronx is Burning is a show celebrating the 30 year anniversery of the 1977 champion New York Yankees, so in 2009 are they gonna have a 30 year anniversery of the 1979 Pirates, I don't think so.

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Yes, BIG TIME East Coast bias

TCU
07-24-2007, 12:00 AM
do any of you all have Fox Sports channels that are specific to your area, for me i have Fox Sports Southwest which is great because it is all of Texas, so its nice to get coverage of my teams and others throughout the state and some of the border states.

also i gave up on ESPN radio about a year ago and now listen to a local sports radio as well as Sporting News Radio which is great because they talk about teams that arent in the northeast.

yodabear
07-24-2007, 12:06 AM
do any of you all have Fox Sports channels that are specific to your area, for me i have Fox Sports Southwest which is great because it is all of Texas, so its nice to get coverage of my teams and others throughout the state and some of the border states.

also i gave up on ESPN radio about a year ago and now listen to a local sports radio as well as Sporting News Radio which is great because they talk about teams that arent in the northeast.

Yep, I have FSN North, which is great cuz it gives me info on the Twins and Brewers during baseball season, the T-Wolves and Bucks during the NBA season, all of the NFC North, sure I am a Rams fan, but thats okay at least its not about the Patriots which ESPN and NFL Network would give me. And then it goes all over the Big Ten during the althetic season. Also, gives us a Big 12 Update Show every week and even shows for small schools around like Winona State, which had their 57 game winning streak in basketball snapped in the NC.

kwilk103
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
there original programming is good

"3" was good; so was playmakers;theres another movie im forgetting that was decent

the bronx is burning was pretty good (watched 1 episode, hate the yankees so i dont watch)

there sportscentury shows are usually good; but i dont get classic; maybe put those on when they dont have games

bored of education
07-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Tilt and Playmakers was awesome. I know why Playmakers was cancelled, dunno what happened to Tilt. Mike Madsen might be in rehab