PDA

View Full Version : The Burning Question

Creek
07-22-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm sure this has already been a thread before, but quite frankly I'm too lazy to look for it.

When the NextGen systems first were announced I decided I wouldn't buy one because I was happy with the PS2 I had. After playing games like NBA 2K7 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance on my friends PS3 I started to want one more and more. Then I played NCAA 2008 on PS3. Holy god it's amazing. Like, I can't stop thinking about how awesome it is. I don't fantazise about women anymore. Just saving replays and calling fake recruits. I need this game and I need it on a NextGen system. Every other game I've played on PS3 then tried on PS2 I've hated because it just wasn't near as good. It was like going from Hilary Duff to Haylie Duff.

So the question is: Which system should I buy? The Wii is out right off the bat because I hate moving. I've always been a Playstation guy, but it's 500$ where as the 360 is only 300$. Is there much of a difference between games on 360 and PS3? Is PS3 worth the extra 200$? I feel like I would be betraying my Playstation roots by crossing over to the dark side, but no loyalty is worth 200 bucks! Please, people of NFLDC, help me with this decision.

Ravens1991
07-22-2007, 05:23 PM
I am debating the same question, I have like 20-30 PS2 video games and I dont feel like buy 360 and having all those games just sit there, so I will probably get a PS3 next. But that is just me because I have a lot of PS2 games.

princefielder28
07-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Stay loyal and go with PS3

PackerLegend
07-22-2007, 05:27 PM
PS3. I have PS3 and i like it alot. I never played XBOX 360 much so i cant really compare the 2 but i know 1 thing there controllers are big and goofy i like PS3's alot more.

islandboy843
07-22-2007, 05:28 PM
PS3 whenever the price drops.....again

Hawk
07-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Never played PS3, but I do love my 360

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 05:31 PM
to get an 360 or an Elite to perform like a ps3 you need to buy the HD DVD drive and that alone is 200 dollars which makes it an even price to the ps3. Also you need to buy a headset, one year of live, hard drive, and wifi which the ps3 all has for free. In the end your making a better investment by buying a ps3 and saving more.

Boston
07-22-2007, 05:40 PM
to get an 360 or an Elite to perform like a ps3 you need to buy the HD DVD drive and that alone is 200 dollars which makes it an even price to the ps3. Also you need to buy a headset, one year of live, hard drive, and wifi which the ps3 all has for free. In the end your making a better investment by buying a ps3 and saving more.

Wow. Where to start... You can buy everything you just said for 450 dollars. As for the "The PS3 is so powerful" garbage, that's great, maybe it'd be greater if it was reflected by the quality of games when compared to the PS3 and 360. And don't even try and joke about PS3 internet, online, being anywhere near as good as live.

etk
07-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Where do you get this idea? All of those things you mentioned come with the Elite system. I don't know anyone who buys the Core, anyway. Plus the Elite comes with a sleek black finish and pretty much everything else in black.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/compare101.htm

Get the 360!

S4L
07-22-2007, 05:50 PM
The games you say you like (Marvel, NBA 2K7, NCAA 08) are all available on 360 and work just as well as the PS3 versions. I'd go with the the 360 simply because it's cheaper. Although if it were me, I would wait for a price drop on the 360. I guarantee one comes by the end of the year, if not earlier.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Buying the 300 dollar 360 is a waste of money.

So your going to be debating between the 400 dollars 360 and the 500 (if you can find which I am sure you easily can) PS3.

If sports games are the only games you play, then I would give the edge to the 360 based soley on the fact it will save you 100 dollars. However, it is almost a guarantee that you will have to send your 360 in for repairs eventually, which is covered by a 3 year warranty.

etk
07-22-2007, 05:52 PM
The games you say you like (Marvel, NBA 2K7, NCAA 08) are all available on 360 and work just as well as the PS3 versions. I'd go with the the 360 simply because it's cheaper. Although if it were me, I would wait for a price drop on the 360. I guarantee one comes by the end of the year, if not earlier.

Clearly he can't wait...all he can think about is the awesomeness of the next-gen systems.

S4L
07-22-2007, 05:55 PM
Clearly he can't wait...all he can think about is the awesomeness of the next-gen systems.

And just bringing up the price drop factor as well; he may not know.

Boston
07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Buying the 300 dollar 360 is a waste of money.

So your going to be debating between the 400 dollars 360 and the 500 (if you can find which I am sure you easily can) PS3.

If sports games are the only games you play, then I would give the edge to the 360 based soley on the fact it will save you 100 dollars. However, it is almost a guarantee that you will have to send your 360 in for repairs eventually, which is covered by a 3 year warranty.

I would hardly call 30 percent a guarantee.

S4L
07-22-2007, 05:59 PM

It's probably even lower than THAT, since the new 360s they're manufacturing have heatsinks and new DVD drives.

You just have to not be dumb and put your 360 directly onto a carpet.

I've had my system since launch, and, like most of my friends, haven't had one problem.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 05:59 PM

I actually think it is higher then that.

Of the 5 people I am good friends with who own the system, all of them had their systems break from the 3 red lights.

Just to put this in perspective, the iPod failure rate is less then 2 percent.

etk
07-22-2007, 06:01 PM
It's probably even lower than THAT, since the new 360s they're manufacturing have heatsinks and new DVD drives.

You just have to not be dumb and put your 360 directly onto a carpet.

Exactly. That 30% number includes a large majority of idiots who can't care for their expensive console. Read the manual and take the necessary steps, it's quite easy.

Boston
07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
Exactly. The people who experience overheating problems, and failures and such, usually cram their XBOX into little entertainment spaces, with no air flow, and play for hours.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Exactly. That 30% number includes a large majority of idiots who can't care for their expensive console. Read the manual and take the necessary steps, it's quite easy.

Actually, it shouldn't be a surprise to you that Microsoft put out a a piece of faulty hardware.

There is a reason why the have lost over a billion dollars because of repairs and are now forced to give a 3 year warranty to everyone that buys the system.

etk
07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Exactly. The people who experience overheating problems, and failures and such, usually cram their XBOX into little entertainment spaces, with no air flow, and play for hours.

Yeah, or those d-bags who stack their video game cases on top of the air vents. I don't know anyone who has experienced problems with their 360, and I know at least a dozen people who own the system.

Boston
07-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually, it shouldn't be a surprise to you that Microsoft put out a a piece of faulty hardware.

There is a reason why the have lost over a billion dollars because of repairs and are now forced to give a 3 year warranty to everyone that buys the system.

What's the PS3 failure rate? Or do we not want to even go there?

Creek
07-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I wasn't aware that Xbox had to offer a 3 year warranty because of system problems... I'm not going to play online no matter what system I buy so that really isn't a big factor in my decision.

cardsalltheway
07-22-2007, 07:02 PM

What is it? I honestly have no idea and am interested in what it is. I have a PS3 myself.

etk
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I wasn't aware that Xbox had to offer a 3 year warranty because of system problems... I'm not going to play online no matter what system I buy so that really isn't a big factor in my decision.

All the more reason to get an XBOX. One of the big perks of the PS3 is the free online service but that would be a moot point.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 07:32 PM

Less than 1 percent?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/take-that,-msoft/ps3-failure-rate-less-than-one-percent-275179.php

JF4
07-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Well the PS3 doesn't have Halo and it costs more.

Go with the 360

Xiomera
07-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Creek, I face the same problem myself. After much research, I have come to the conclusion that I will buy an XBox 360 over a PS3 (despite my previous purchases of PS1 and PS2).

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 08:22 PM
You said you don;t play online, so definitely PS3.

islandboy843
07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Reasons for PS3

You can play all your old games on it.
God Of War
MSG4
Devil May Cry 4
Killzone
Virtual Fighter 5
Ratchet and Clank
Resistance: Fall of Man
Grand Turismo 5

BamaFalcon59
07-22-2007, 08:47 PM
and

Final Fantasy
MLB: The Show

ripdw27
07-22-2007, 09:52 PM
yea i cant make up my mind either... my frien in florda has n xbox 360, i dont think my ma would let me spend the extra 100-200$ on a ps3

Canadian_kid16
07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
IMO, you are looking at similar systems for diferent prices...so take the 360, you are getting almost as much as the PS3, but for $100(?) dollars cheaper...

P-L
07-22-2007, 09:57 PM
I've played both systems and have enjoyed them both. Look up a list of games and decide which exclusives you like better. The PS3 is worth the $500 it costs, but it still is $100 more than the XBox 360. The 360 is cheaper and as of now (until the PS3 reaches it's potential or close to it) it is slightly better performance-wise. However, it is of my opinion that PS3 has better exclusive games than the 360. You're opinion may be different, so that it why I'd suggest you check out a list of games. I've been debating this same question for the last three weeks and I still haven't decided. Although, I will be getting one of them next week finally!

ripdw27
07-22-2007, 09:58 PM
yea thats true... honestly i dont like the ps3 controllers

ripdw27
07-22-2007, 10:02 PM
I've played both systems and have enjoyed them both. Look up a list of games and decide which exclusives you like better. The PS3 is worth the $500 it costs, but it still is $200 more than the XBox 360. The 360 is cheaper and as of now (until the PS3 reaches it's potential or close to it) it is slightly better performance-wise. However, it is of my opinion that PS3 has better exclusive games than the 360. You're opinion may be different, so that it why I'd suggest you check out a list of games. I've been debating this same question for the last three weeks and I still haven't decided. Although, I will be getting one of them next week finally!

yea im goin to madison either this friday in the next few weeks to get one... most likely (80% i wanna say) will be 360

BrownsTown
07-22-2007, 10:05 PM
360 has the same sports games in similar graphics with the same features. Then 360 has some of the best FPS' out there, including Halo 3. Plus, 200 bucks less.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 10:08 PM
Well the PS3 doesn't have Halo and it costs more.

Go with the 360

wow what a dumb comment. The 360 doesn't have Killzone 2 or MGS4 and you can leave your ps3 on for days and it still wont overheat. Most of the problems the 360/elite faces are first gen. Also the 360 will face a lot of problems in the future because of the 9gb free space limit on the disc.

etk
07-22-2007, 10:11 PM
wow what a dumb comment. The 360 doesn't have Killzone 2 or MGS4 and you can leave your ps3 on for days and it still wont overheat. Most of the problems the 360/elite faces are first gen.

1) What's Killzone 2?
2) 360 will probably get MGS4. PS3 probably won't get Halo. Halo>MGS4.
3) Anyone who plays their 360 for so long to the point where it overheats has worse problems than repair risks.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 10:15 PM
1) What's Killzone 2?
[g]2) 360 will probably get MGS4. PS3 probably won't get Halo. Halo>MGS4.[/b]
3) Anyone who plays their 360 for so long to the point where it overheats has worse problems than repair risks.
yo my friend are a fanboy for making that comment. They have said and said that it will stay on the ps3 and no way on this earth is halo even up there with MGS4 thats just a joke. Just a heads up Killzone 2 will be the FPS of the year in 08, mark my words.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1tnV11m9M2g
http://youtube.com/watch?v=s0Ss3oVmsCs
I like to see an xbox get to thoses standers that the ps3 can do and thats just the early stages of the game.

islandboy843
07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
1) What's Killzone 2?
2) 360 will probably get MGS4. PS3 probably won't get Halo. Halo>MGS4.

Thats a hell no.

etk
07-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Thats a hell no.

#2 came out on XBOX, there's always a possibility.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 10:40 PM
ETK is what you would call an "xbox fanboy".

Except his idea of an argument is Halo > ALL.

Scott Wright
07-22-2007, 10:41 PM
I used to be a Playstation guy but I bought the 360 when it cames out earlier than the PS3 and have been very happy. I am officially converted and never really even thought about buying the PS3.

In short, I'd say get an XBox 360.

etk
07-22-2007, 10:43 PM
ETK is what you would call an "xbox fanboy".

Except his idea of an argument is Halo > ALL.

I don't play Halo, I just hear from everyone I know that it's better than any PS3 game. Personally I don't like those kinds of games, but I was speaking from a sales perspective. MGS is one of my favorite series', dating back to my days with a Playstation, and I wish I had the luxury of getting a PS3 just for that game. I've had every video game console up until this generation and I wanna get a Wii on top of my 360, so I hardly consider myself an XBOX fanboy.

etk
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
I used to be a Playstation guy but I bought the 360 when it cames out earlier than the PS3 and have been very happy. I am officially converted and never really even thought about buying the PS3.

In short, I'd say get an XBox 360.

If Scott said it, it must be true!

familyguy555
07-22-2007, 10:45 PM
yo my friend are a fanboy for making that comment. They have said and said that it will stay on the ps3 and no way on this earth is halo even up there with MGS4 thats just a joke. Just a heads up Killzone 2 will be the FPS of the year in 08, mark my words.

I like to see an xbox get to thoses standers that the ps3 can do and thats just the early stages of the game.

You're kidding right? Halo 3 will smoke that game I played Killzone once on a PS2 and it was average. Halo # is gonna be the best game on any system to come out in a while.

Boston
07-22-2007, 10:48 PM

Killzone is so overrated. Other than the graphics, there was nothing seemingly innovative with the two videos you posted. I'd say GoW > Killzone 2 "The Halo killer" or whatever it was marketed as.

AlexDown
I don't play Halo, I just hear from everyone I know that it's better than any PS3 game. Personally I don't like those kinds of games, but I was speaking from a sales perspective. MGS is one of my favorite series', dating back to my days with a Playstation, and I wish I had the luxury of getting a PS3 just for that game. I've had every video game console up until this generation and I wanna get a Wii on top of my 360, so I hardly consider myself an XBOX fanboy.

Jesus if you haven't even played or play the Halo series how can you even fathom to back your argument by saying Halo > MGS4. Going even further on that absurd statement,MGS4 hasn't come out yet.

Boston
"Being a video game developer (I develop for both, Playstation 3 and XBOX 360) people ask me almost daily which platform I think is better. These are my personal feelings, in no way does this reflect my employer.

Short answer: XBOX 360.

Long answer: Price, performance, visual quality, game selection and online support. I think the XBOX 360 wins in every category.

Price: This is obvious; the XBOX 360 core is only $299. The PS3 is around $499 for the 20GB version. It comes with a hard drive, but you don’t need a hard drive to enjoy a lot of great games on the 360 so I think it’s fair to compare both core systems.

Performance: On paper, the PS3 is more powerful. In reality, it’s quite inferior to the 360. Without getting into too many details, the three general-purpose CPU’s the xbox360 has are currently FAR easier to take advantage of than the SPU’s on the PS3. I suspect a few years down the road some high budget, first party PS3 exclusive titles will come out that really take advantage of the SPU’s and do things the XBOX 360 can’t, but I don’t think the console is worth buying based on this speculation (for some it will be though, we'll have to wait and see how these games turn out).

Graphics: The XBOX 360 is a clear winner. The GPU is more powerful. It has more powerful fillrate, and far more pixel and vertex processing horsepower. Part of the reason is their choice of memory, and architecture of pixel and vertex procesing. I can’t get into details but the same vertex shader will run much slower on the PS3 than the XBOX 360. The 360 also has a clever new way rendering high definition anti aliased back buffers. To accomplish the same effect on PS3 is prohibitively expensive. For this reason I think many games will have no choice but to run in non-HD resolutions on the PS3 version, use a lower quality anti aliasing technique, or do back buffer upscaling. The end result in all cases is going to be noticeably worse image quality.

Game Selection: The XBOX 360 has a huge head start here. 1 year is an eternity in gaming. Almost all multi-platform developers have made the XBOX 360 their primary platform due to timing of release-to-market, this means the games will look and perform better on the 360. The PS3 versions will be ports of the 360 versions. (The opposite was true for XBOX 1 vs. PS2). The XBOX 360 is also far faster to develop for due to better development tools (massively popular Visual Studio .NET vs. proprietary, buggy PS3 compiler and debugger), better documentation, and easier architecture (3 general purpose CPU’s vs. 8 specialized processors that require DMA). Timing has also caused all next-gen middleware developers to make XBOX 360 their primary platform, and they will ‘add ps3 support’ as needed. This support will probably be inferior to the XBOX 360’s due to manpower and more importantly, demand. It’s this catch-22 now that will continue to drive the 360 forward and hold PS3 back."

Not to mention; Halo 3 only on 360!

This was written awhile ago, just thought I'd put it out there.

AlexDown
07-22-2007, 10:51 PM
Hey Boston,

I think you were looking for the PS3 failure rates. I posted a link for you on the first page if your still interested.

Boston
07-22-2007, 10:53 PM
Hey Boston,

I think you were looking for the PS3 failure rates. I posted a link for you on the first page if your still interested.

I know it may be hard to believe, but I, too, make mistakes.

PackerLegend
07-22-2007, 11:06 PM
it seems like the #1 reason people say why you should buy xbox 360 over PS3 is because its cheaper. Theres a reason things are cheaper because there not as good. Its like going to the store to buy oreo's but then u see basically the same cookie and its cheaper. U decide to go with the off-brand cookie because its cheaper and u think it will be just as good, but then u eat it and it isnt. XBOX 360 has had about a year head start so obviously its going to have more games out. Halo isnt everything i don't like it personally. PS3 is the way 2 go, ya it costs more but your getting more stuff.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 11:07 PM
You're kidding right? Halo 3 will smoke that game I played Killzone once on a PS2 and it was average. Halo # is gonna be the best game on any system to come out in a while.

I'm sorry but if thats the best graphics Microsoft has to offer lol you guys better be ready because I hear a storm coming, get ready xbox fans 08 is Sony year and it all started on E3 07.

Vikes99ej
07-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Hey, get a 360!

familyguy555
07-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Creek, If you want a videogame system but dont wanna spend $500 freaking bucks on it, get a 360. Its sweet and since you dont want Live just dont purchase it. Sell the free trial you get with the system on Ebay or something.

ccB
07-22-2007, 11:14 PM
NCAA got a better rating on 360 than PS3, just saying...

Boston
07-22-2007, 11:16 PM
it seems like the #1 reason people say why you should buy xbox 360 over PS3 is because its cheaper. Theres a reason things are cheaper because there not as good. Its like going to the store to buy oreo's but then u see basically the same cookie and its cheaper. U decide to go with the off-brand cookie because its cheaper and u think it will be just as good, but then u eat it and it isnt. XBOX 360 has had about a year head start so obviously its going to have more games out. Halo isnt everything i don't like it personally. PS3 is the way 2 go, ya it costs more but your getting more stuff.

Wow, good analogy. Personally, I'm a bit more fond towards the Lost Puppy one. But it was good for your first try.

PACKmanN
07-22-2007, 11:17 PM
NCAA got a better rating on 360 than PS3, just saying...

cuz its a xbox port so it wasn't develop on the ps3.

GB12
07-22-2007, 11:18 PM
You guys are pathetic. All of you are either PS3 or 360 fanboys who thinks the other is a piece of ****. Seriously he just wants to get a new system, why do you care so much that he gets the one that you have?

elway777
07-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I Just got a PS3, and my life is officially gone. Im a sony guy myself, and the 360 doesn't feel right to me.

ccB
07-22-2007, 11:26 PM
You guys are pathetic. All of you are either PS3 or 360 fanboys who thinks the other is a piece of ****. Seriously he just wants to get a new system, why do you care so much that he gets the one that you have?
PS3 guys cant imagine they overpaid for the worst system and Microsoft guys just think the future is now and are not into think about the possibilitys of what the PS3 may be able to do one day.

I think it comes down to two types of people, people striving for more and people who want the best out now. If your a guy who likes potential go with the PS3 if your a guy who likes knowing what they are getting get a 360.

Its like breaking down prospects....If you like the prospect with freak athletic skills but hasnt put it all together yet take a PS3. If you like the solid collegiate player who is going to put up solid numbers right away go with the 360. Sure the freak athlete might be the next big thing but it could also be a failure. The solid player will always be solid but will never have the high ceiling of the freak athlete.

elway777
07-22-2007, 11:28 PM
You guys are acting like were talking politics.

ccB
07-22-2007, 11:31 PM
You guys are acting like were talking politics.

This could quite possibly be the closest thing allowed to politics on the NFLDC which just gives you a glimpse of why majority of NFLDC is not mature enough to discuss politics. There are a lot of closed minds on here.

elway777
07-22-2007, 11:36 PM
Love the previous post CCB. Only if everything I misunderstood in life could be broken down into recruiting terms.

WMD
07-23-2007, 12:09 AM
360 has some games I want to play.. Dead Rising and Gears of War looked sweet. Condemned also looked cool..

I can't really think of any PS3 exlusives that I want.. Metal Gear Solid 4... I'm sure there's more that I can't think of right now.

Most great games are available on both systems.. I'll probably get the PS3 first, just because I'm a Playstation kinda girl.. seems more powerful and likely has better graphics, though I'm not sure about the specifics of each system..

The Playstation controller is the best, too.. It's just perfect. I am in love with it. It is my soulmate.

Of course, before I get either system, I have to get an HDTV first.. There's this new Sharp Aquos Gaming TV that tickles my fancy.. 37 Inches, has all kinds of inputs. http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC32GP1U-1080p-Gaming/dp/B000NKAYWG

jballa838
07-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Less than 1 percent?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/take-that,-msoft/ps3-failure-rate-less-than-one-percent-275179.php
so i am guessing that since PS3 is never selling out and it has been out for 8 months, that probably 8 of the 1000 PS3s out there have messed up.

Creek
07-23-2007, 01:55 AM
Damn, this is tough. Xio touts PS3 then Scott comes in with the XBox. P-L & WMD riding the fence. And the rest of you had opinions too.

This is going to be tough...

Windy
07-23-2007, 01:58 AM
A Burning Question

New scene.
Mt. Sanai Hospital. Kramer is on the table surrounded by med students.

Student #1: And are you experiencing any discomfort?

Kramer: Just a little burning during urination.

Student #1: Okay, any other pain?

Kramer: The haunting memories of lost love. May I? (signals to Mickey)
Lights? (Mickey turns down the lights and Kramer lights a cigar) Our eyes met
across the crowded hat store. I, a customer, and she a coquettish haberdasher.
Oh, I pursued and she withdrew, then she pursued and I withdrew, and so we
danced. I burned for her, much like the burning during urination that I would
experience soon afterwards.

Student #1: Gonorrhea?!

Kramer: Gonorrhea!

The lab breaks out in spontaneous applause as Mickey turns up the lights and
Kramer takes a bow.

WMD
07-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Damn, this is tough. Xio touts PS3 then Scott comes in with the XBox. P-L & WMD riding the fence. And the rest of you had opinions too.

I ride the fence, but I lean more to the PS3.. due to my Playstation allegiance and of course, the controller. Plus, it's backwards compatible with your PS2 games.. The 360 is backwards compatible too, but that doesn't help if you didn't have a regular XBox or a lot of games for it. Plus, the PS3 is coming out with RUMBLE CONTROLLERS in the near future! RUMBLE CONTROLLERS!

awfullyquiet
07-23-2007, 04:12 AM
as someone who has both of them.
and i'm a ps fan. have been for effing ever.

the real big thing that i use my 360 for is to connect to my desktop and play movies and games off of it to my stereo system. honestly, it's a little clunky to use, but downloading DVD's and then watching them on my TV from my computer without ever having to burn a disk is pretty cool.

PS3 though is the investment platform. PS3 games, like PS2 games before it will continue to get better as time goes on. I mean, compare God of War 1 with 2. The graphics got better. The gameplay got better. It's all due to what you do when you find special gates. 360 graphics won't get much better. Everythings based off the frickan unreal engine anyway, which is still fantastic, but, You're not going to get ultra-framerates, super texturization and all sorts of neat camera tricks like you will get with a PS3 in two years.

That being said. if you want a home entertainment center. get the 360. if you want a game machine. get the ps3. they really are forming their own niche markets. and it's great.

p.s. you don't have to move with the wii. i can sit and play zelda in bed if i felt like.

nfrillman
07-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Just a few things to say here. First of all, Halo 3 is not being touted by anyone as being the best graphics on 360. The producers of the game themselves said that they were focused more on gameplay than graphics, but to expect it to look like a very polished version of Halo 1 and 2.

Secondly, I do not understand why people develop these ridiculous company allegiances, it is a piece of plastic and metal making someone else very rich, why the allegiances.

Thirdly, the main, if not only reason that the PS3 costs more than the 360 is the addition of the Blu-Ray drive. This addition has Sony touting how much information can be put onto their discs. What they do not tell you is that 360 games are not even coming close to using all of their disc space, and if you are familiar with a game like Oblivion, you know that game contains a lot of information. Worst case scenario is that a game is made that one single 360 disc cannot hold, they make the game on two discs and you must drag your butt off the couch after 30 or so game hours of playing and change discs. There are worse things in the world, one thing that I would consider worse is dropping a bunch of cash for a next-gen system and then finding out there are not many good games for it.

Another thing, the 360 failure is inflated due to the problems the first couple groups of systems they produced had. Also, I find it quite odd that having a 3 year warrenty on a substantial purchase is being talked about like it is a bad thing. And lastly, one could always just keep their PS2 if they wanted to play the games. It is not too complicated to have two systems hooked up, and playing an old game on a next-gen system does not increase the graphics of the old game at all.

All in all, I think it is pretty clear where I stand. The theorheticals of what the PS3 can do and what the 360 cannot do are so far away from happening that it basically rinders the theorheticals moot. A quick example, if two giants were both easily throwing the biggest rock in the world, then one said, "But if there were a rock a hundred times bigger than that biggest one, I could still throw it, while you would have to throw two rocks that are a mere 50 times bigger than the biggest." You see, that may be true, but they are never going to find that rock, so it makes it a moot point. So, god forbid the 360 having to put a game on 2 discs, because then you will have to get up for 15 seconds.

awfullyquiet
07-23-2007, 04:47 AM
not necessarly true.
companies in the near future will eat up disk space.
with ultra-high quality graphic script programming and near live quality sound... what you don't know is that the more gizmos they add into lighting effects and camera abilities and, in certain cases, turf anomolies and rules. the more and more disk space will be use, most of which, will be asy to create because of logic defined spaces, but, the length of code becomes longer and longer. sure it took the PS2 four years to start bearing down on the limit of DVD's, all technological signs say it could take maybe two years (i'm invoking varients of moore's law that have been hypothosized)...

as an aside.
i think you're full of hot air when it comes to people having sentiment to a certain type of system.
why? because what they represent. Who buys XBoxs? Who Buys Wii's? Who buys PS3? I'm sure when you break down their niches, you understand why people have sentiment to one brand. Because they fit their needs.
It's the same with Cars, toothpaste, and condoms.

WMD
07-23-2007, 05:09 AM
I love my Wii, by the way.. Just throwing that out there.. I love. my. WII.

umphrey
07-23-2007, 08:17 AM
The 360 has way cooler games with more coming out soon. Plus sports games seem to work better.

Xiomera
07-23-2007, 08:55 AM

I think you are a little off. XBox 360 was the same price as PS3 when it first came out, but that was over a year ago. It really has little to do with the quality of the products in comparison.

Xiomera
07-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Creek, XBox 360 seems to be the way to go. I am buying one this week, undoubtedly.

I, like you, have no desire to play online, and I will only be playing a handful of games (mainly sports games), all of which are available on both systems.

Moses
07-23-2007, 09:01 AM
More expensive does not mean better.

Xiomera
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM

Amen

(10)

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM

how so? its like getting an item that offers you more but cost less vs an item that cost less and offers less. Sony added many of items in there ps3 that could have easily hit the 1000+ mark but unlike M$ he took the price cut.

Moses
07-23-2007, 01:44 PM
how so? its like getting an item that offers you more but cost less vs an item that cost less and offers less. Sony added many of items in there ps3 that could have easily hit the 1000+ mark but unlike M$ he took the price cut.

Costing more doesn't mean offers more, especially with things like consoles. What exactly does the PS3 offer that the Xbox 360 does not? In terms of functionality, not specs.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 01:49 PM
The Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can play the three biggest, as in most successful, franchises in the video game industry: Madden, Grand Theft Auto and Halo. That's why I picked the 360. They have the games that interest me. If I were more into Metal Gear (I think Splinter Cell is the better game), I may have a different tune.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:23 PM
I don't understand how the ps3 is cost more, the 360 doesn't come with the things that the ps3 does. Which makes it ps3 vs xbox elite and thats only a 21 dollar difference.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't understand how the ps3 is cost more, the 360 doesn't come with the things that the ps3 does. Which makes it ps3 vs xbox elite and thats only a 21 dollar difference.

List the functionality has that the PS3 has that the Xbox 360 doesn't.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
The Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can play the three biggest, as in most successful, franchises in the video game industry: Madden, Grand Theft Auto and Halo. That's why I picked the 360. They have the games that interest me. If I were more into Metal Gear (I think Splinter Cell is the better game), I may have a different tune.

both GTA and Madden are on the ps3 how is it "only" on the 360?

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:29 PM
both GTA and Madden are on the ps3 how is it "only" on the 360?

He said the three biggest, including Halo.

AlexDown
The only thing I never understood is in previous threads, there was a huge Blue Ray / HD DVD debate. But in the end, the 360 doesn't even have a HD DVD drive built in and games will never benefit from this technology. How much does it cost to add that to the system anyway? Im guessing that price would even out the differences between the two systems.

PACKmanN
List the functionality has that the PS3 has that the Xbox 360 doesn't.

Its all about specs. List the specs that the 360 doesn't have.
Blu-Ray>HD DVD and the list goes on.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Its all about specs. List the specs that the 360 doesn't have.
Blu-Ray>HD DVD and the list goes on.

Specs mean NOTHING. If you don't get anything from specs, they are meaningless. Simply list what functionality the PS3 has that the Xbox 360 doesn't that warrants the higher price tag.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM

wow he said; The Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can playthe three biggest, as in most successful, franchises in the video game industry: Madden, Grand Theft Auto and Halo.

How is it the only platform where you can play it? The ps3 also has Killzone 2, MGS 4, Socom 4, both Unreal Tournament and Haze will be released and fully developed on the ps3 first. Is there some xbox fans still disappointed about how poorly M$ did in E3 and how Sony stole the show?

Shiver
07-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Thank you. Evidently reading comprehension is a lost art here. The 360 is the only place where you can play the top three franchises in the industry. Since Sony will never have Halo, you cannot play the entire big three on the PS3.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Specs mean NOTHING. If you don't get anything from specs, they are meaningless. Simply list what functionality the PS3 has that the Xbox 360 doesn't that warrants the higher price tag.

the 360 doesn't have blu-ray which movie company's are starting to like more, they make a product that doesn't have over millions of people having problems with, they don't put old dvd players into the system. You can not reach full HD 1080p without buying the hd dvd drive even with the elite.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
wow he said; The Xbox 360 is the only platform where you can playthe three biggest, as in most successful, franchises in the video game industry: Madden, Grand Theft Auto and Halo.

How is it the only platform where you can play it? The ps3 also has Killzone 2, MGS 4, Socom 4, both Unreal Tournament and Haze will be released and fully developed on the ps3 first. Is there some xbox fans still disappointed about how poorly M$ did in E3 and how Sony stole the show?

He means the only console where you can play ALL three. You can only play two on the PS3.

I don't know why you would attempt to argue for the PS3 based on how well it's doing because it's losing the console war by a large margin.

ripdw27
07-23-2007, 02:38 PM
idk ive still got the 360 over the ps3.. they both look pretty tight but ive already played x 360 n i dont kno anyone else with a ps3, havent actually looked into it.. ive always preferred ps2 over xbox but now its switched around.. btw halo is a killer game n i will have 3-4 games on my 360 if thats what i get.. (in order) 1. madden 08..2 .) Halo.. 3.) GTA 4 4. )ncaa 08

AlexDown
07-23-2007, 02:39 PM
Thank you. Evidently reading comprehension is a lost art here. The 360 is the only place where you can play the top three franchises in the industry. Since Sony will never have Halo, you cannot play the entire big three on the PS3.

Again, it all depends what kind of games you like. For the one Halo game that the 360 has over PS3, you could play games like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy, both many consider to be just as big if not bigger games.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
He means the only console where you can play ALL three. You can only play two on the PS3.

I don't know why you would attempt to argue for the PS3 based on how well it's doing because it's losing the console war by a large margin.

we will have this convo in one year time and we will see what system is winning the war.

Edit- If he means all three and GTA and Madden are both on the ps3 why would you even mention those games?

BamaFalcon59
07-23-2007, 02:40 PM
If you play baseball games go with the PS3 for sure IMO. It is basically the unanimous decision over 2K. Controller would have a lot to do with it, and I view the PS controller far superior. Then, since you don't play online, I would go PS3.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:42 PM
the 360 doesn't have blu-ray which movie company's are starting to like more, they make a product that doesn't have over millions of people having problems with, they don't put old dvd players into the system. You can not reach full HD 1080p without buying the hd dvd drive even with the elite.

99% of people don't need Blu-Ray nor will they need it for years, when the price of a Blu-Ray drive dips to below $200. Even then, there is no guarantee that Blu-Ray will be a relevant technology.

Xbox 360 does have issues with breaking down but there is also a 3 year warranty. Also, most problems can be avoided if you treat your console well.

1080p is basically useless unless you're playing on a giant LCD screen (like 50 inches).

The Xbox 360 has also many advantages over the PS3. The two most important in my opinion are the larger game library and ease of development for game creators.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 02:43 PM

Since when is Killzone and Socom worthy to brag about having exclusivity? Secondly, why would Xbox 360 fans have anything to be disappointed about?

August - Bioshock, Madden '08
September - Halo 3
October - Grand Theft Auto IV (exclusive episodic content for the 360)
November - Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell: Conviction
December - Lost Odyssey

I don't have enough money or time for all of those AAA games. The spiritual successor to the all time great System Shock, the sequels to the two largest franchise in gaming, an RPG produced by the renowned Bioware team, the first 'real' next gen Splinter Cell game, and an RPG from the mind behind Final Fantasy.

*Xbox 360 exclusives in green

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:43 PM
we will have this convo in one year time and we will see what system is winning the war.

Edit- If he means all three and GTA and Madden are both on the ps3 why would you even mention those games?

I can all but guarantee you it will the Xbox 360. It has too big of a lead for the PS3 to surmount.

BamaFalcon59
07-23-2007, 02:44 PM
SOCOM is pretty damn popular online.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
99% of people don't need Blu-Ray nor will they need it for years, when the price of a Blu-Ray drive dips to below $200. Even then, there is no guarantee that Blu-Ray will be a relevant technology.

Xbox 360 does have issues with breaking down but there is also a 3 year warranty. Also, most problems can be avoided if you treat your console well.

1080p is basically useless unless you're playing on a giant LCD screen (like 50 inches).

The Xbox 360 has also many advantages over the PS3. The two most important in my opinion are the larger game library and ease of development for game creators.
how do people not need blu-ray do you know what blu-ray does? it stores more info and adds HD to the game/movie. I don't understand how people don't need blu-ray for a system.

AlexDown
07-23-2007, 02:46 PM
SOCOM is pretty damn popular online.

After one year of X Box live, the SOCOM community alone actually had more users then the entire X Box Live community. That was a while ago however. Many of these people haven't even played SOCOM.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:47 PM
how do people not need blu-ray do you know what blu-ray does? it stores more info and adds HD to the game/movie. I don't understand how people don't need blu-ray for a system.

Games can fit fine onto Xbox 360 discs and they are in HD...

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Since when is Killzone and Socom worthy to brag about having exclusivity? Secondly, why would Xbox 360 fans have anything to be disappointed about?

August - Bioshock, Madden '08
September - Halo 3
October - Grand Theft Auto IV (exclusive episodic content for the 360)
November - Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell: Conviction
December - Lost Odyssey

I don't have enough money or time for all of those AAA games. The spiritual successor to the all time great System Shock, the sequels to the two largest franchise in gaming, an RPG produced by the renowned Bioware team, the first 'real' next gen Splinter Cell game, and an RPG from the mind behind Final Fantasy.

*Xbox 360 exclusives in green

GTA, Madden, Assassins, and Splinter Cell(no sure) are all on the ps3. Did you forget when it was Socom vs Halo? its pretty big also we got God of War to seal the deal :)

rchrd
07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
This thread is a trip. Both companies would eat your soul given the opportunity, so I cant really get my head around the peasants rallying for the king so vociferously (please nobody take that personally it was only really for one or two people).

Either way I am also considering which one to sell my soul to, I get the impression the 360 will play the games I'd want. It seems better now, by the time the PS3 catches up PC will probably be ahead of them all and I could go back to that I guess.

AlexDown
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
GTA, Madden, Assassins, and Splinter Cell(no sure) are all on the ps3. Did you forget when it was Socom vs Halo? its pretty big also we got God of War to seal the deal :)

Again its all about the games you like. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy are other games that I would consider "top notch"

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
Games can fit fine onto Xbox 360 discs and they are in HD...
to play them you need to buy the HD DVD drive which is 200 dollars and while Sony includes the blu-ray player in the system. Also I don't agree, developers are having more problems trying to fit the game data all into one disc(9 gb disc space).

Shiver
07-23-2007, 02:51 PM

Thank you for telling me what I already said. http://forumimages.footballguys.com/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes1.gif

Please don't tell me you put Socom up against Halo. That's crazy, because it isn't even a contest which is the bigger franchise.

Moses
07-23-2007, 02:54 PM
to play them you need to buy the HD DVD drive which is 200 dollars and while Sony includes the blu-ray player in the system. Also I don't agree, developers are having more problems trying to fit the game data all into one disc(9 gb disc space).

What are you talking about? My friend has a Xbox 360 without a HD-DVD and he can play games in high-definition. You don't need a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive to get HD graphics.

PS3 could eventually become more powerful but right now it is inferior. Games are developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to the PS3. That means they are optimized for the Xbox 360 and will look and run better on it. Also, developers love the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3 because of the ease of development. By the time the PS3 "unlocks its potential", it will be almost time to buy a new console. Plus, there is no guarantee it will ever be better.

BamaFalcon59
07-23-2007, 02:58 PM
Madden '09 and NCAA '09 will both be ported from the PS3 to the 360 I hear. And a lot of other multi-platform games.

PACKmanN
07-23-2007, 02:59 PM
What are you talking about? My friend has a Xbox 360 without a HD-DVD and he can play games in high-definition. You don't need a HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive to get HD graphics.

PS3 could eventually become more powerful but right now it is inferior. Games are developed for Xbox 360 and then ported to the PS3. That means they are optimized for the Xbox 360 and will look and run better on it. Also, developers love the Xbox 360 compared to the PS3 because of the ease of development. By the time the PS3 "unlocks its potential", it will be almost time to buy a new console. Plus, there is no guarantee it will ever be better.

your telling me it will take over 7 years for a developer to make a game that fully uses the ps3 power? the ps2 lasted for 5-6 years and are still selling. God Of War 2 is a great example of the ps2 power. It wont take long just look at the Killzone 2 gameplay on youtube and the game is still in early stages. I suggest you do.

S4L
07-23-2007, 03:00 PM

I don't quite understand what you are saying.

#1) Madden 08 will look almost exactly the same on PS3 and 360 whether you're playing on an HDTV or not. End of story.

#2) Give me a link in which a developer states that they are having problems trying to fit data for their game onto a 360. There's enough money to be made in multiplatform that a 3rd party developer will not make a game PS3 only because of disk space. Exclusive 3rd party games will be because Sony/Microsoft pays for the exclusivity.

#3) No 360 games are being designed to use the HD DVD drive. None. It is simply for watching HD movies. Conversely, Blu-Ray on PS3 does not make the games any prettier. It is a disk format. Blu-Ray only has more space for a game (which, at this point in the development cycle is practically useless) and to watch HD movies. The only thing that would make a PS3 game prettier would be the processing system.

Moses
07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
your telling me it will take over 7 years for a developer to make a game that fully uses the ps3 power? the ps2 lasted for 5-6 years and are still selling. God Of War 2 is a great example of the ps2 power. It wont take long just look at the Killzone 2 gameplay on youtube and the game is still in early stages. I suggest you do.

I'm saying that potential means little to nothing on consoles. The PS3 is a lot harder to develop for. That's why games look better on the Xbox 360. Why do you think the Xbox 360 is smashing the PS3 so badly?

Moses
07-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't quite understand what you are saying.

#1) Madden 08 will look almost exactly the same on PS3 and 360 whether you're playing on an HDTV or not. End of story.

#2) Give me a link in which a developer states that they are having problems trying to fit data for their game onto a 360. There's enough money to be made in multiplatform that a 3rd party developer will not make a game PS3 only because of disk space. Exclusive 3rd party games will be because Sony/Microsoft pays for the exclusivity.

#3) No 360 games are being designed to use the HD DVD drive. None. It is simply for watching HD movies. Conversely, Blu-Ray on PS3 does not make the games any prettier. It is a disk format. Blu-Ray only has more space for a game (which, at this point in the development cycle is practically useless) and to watch HD movies. The only thing that would make a PS3 game prettier would be the processing system.

Somebody that understands technology. +Rep.

S4L
07-23-2007, 03:05 PM

The PS2 is still selling not because of power but because of its massive game library.

Second of all, the Killzone 2 demo that they just showed at E3 is just that, a demo. It may be prettier at the end, but who knows? Developers make sure to put the prettiest parts of any game into their demos. Be it Halo 3, Gears of War, Killzone 2, anything. No one knows how a game will actually look until its on your console.

And going back to that point, how about a vote about Killzone 2's graphics versus Gears of War's. Killzone 2 looks amazing. So does Gears of War. Yet, no one knows how Killzone 2 will play. Gears of War has been out for eight months to rave reviews.

For all I know, Killzone 2 could be the best game ever or a mediocre shooter. It all remains to be seen.

Shiver
07-23-2007, 03:07 PM
The PS2 is still selling not because of power but because of its massive game library.

Second of all, the Killzone 2 demo that they just showed at E3 is just that, a demo. It may be prettier at the end, but who knows? Developers make sure to put the prettiest parts of any game into their demos. Be it Halo 3, Gears of War, Killzone 2, anything. No one knows how a game will actually look until its on your console.

And going back to that point, how about a vote about Killzone 2's graphics versus Gears of War's. Killzone 2 looks amazing. So does Gears of War. Yet, no one knows how Killzone 2 will play. Gears of War has been out for eight months to rave reviews.

For all I know, Killzone 2 could be the best game ever or a mediocre shooter. It all remains to be seen.

Their last game looked great, albeit the color variety was terrible, but it wasn't that good of a game. It scored a very average of 73 on gamerankings. Thus it is far more likely it will be the later, rather than the former.

iowatreat54
07-23-2007, 03:24 PM

I just read this and laughed because most "generic-brand" food is made in the same factories as the "big-name" brands...so your arguing point is kinda void...

I am also thinking about switching from PS2 over to 360, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet...

one question...does the Elite have a wireless connector/card/modem/whatever built in, like PS3, or do you have to buy an add on like for 360 premium?

S4L
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
one question...does the Elite have a wireless connector/card/modem/whatever built in, like PS3, or do you have to buy an add on like for 360 premium?

No, the Elite doesn't have built in Wi-Fi, so there's no way around that 360 adapter. Try eBay. (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=xbox+360+wireless+adapter&category0=) You'll definitely be able to get one for less than the $100 retail price.

LTgiants
07-23-2007, 03:27 PM
I just read this and laughed because most "generic-brand" food is made in the same factories as the "big-name" brands...so your arguing point is kinda void...

I am also thinking about switching from PS2 over to 360, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet...

http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-elite/4505-10109_7-32390552.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

if u read this it says its wired and prob need 2 get an adaptor

iowatreat54
07-23-2007, 03:33 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/consoles/microsoft-xbox-360-elite/4505-10109_7-32390552.html?ar=o&tag=pdtl-list

if u read this it says its wired and prob need 2 get an adaptor

that's so annoying...every time I get myself convinced I'm going to buy a 360, I find out something that pisses me off about it...no wireless internet, no free internet (although $4+ per month is nothing)

I just cannot bring myself to spend $500 for a game system (soon to be $600 again)...and I can't wait for a price break, I want a console now, I tasted NCAA 08 and need it lol

S4L
07-23-2007, 03:35 PM
It's annoying, I know. But if you think about it, how many 360 owners need Wi-Fi built in? It's better to charge for the adapter than to charge $30 more on every system to put it in the system if only a small percentage of the owners will use it.

LTgiants
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
that's so annoying...every time I get myself convinced I'm going to buy a 360, I find out something that pisses me off about it...no wireless internet, no free internet (although $4+ per month is nothing)

I just cannot bring myself to spend $500 for a game system (soon to be $600 again)...and I can't wait for a price break, I want a console now, I tasted NCAA 08 and need it lol

ya i know i am also going through the same thing i trying to convince myself i am going to buy a 360 i find out something that pisses me off and since i have been a play station guy its really hard but i also don't wanna spend 500 on a system so i have no idea what to do

iowatreat54
07-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Well I've gotten over the fact that I would have to pay for online so that doesn't matter to me...and in the free month of gold membership you get I will play and see if I really do want to play online...but it's just the fact that I would need wireless internet access, and idc about paying for the extra piece, it's just the convenience lol

plus to anyone who says the 360 controllers are bulkier or whatever than PS3, I have always thought the same exact thing but for reg. XBOX...the 360 controllers are significantly smaller, and while they aren't as small as PS3/PS2, I went from holding a PS2 to 360 back to PS2 and there really is not a significant difference in feel between them...

Modano
07-23-2007, 03:43 PM
I guess things go very different here in Europe than in the US, infact I had no choice but choose the 360. And this is why:

- PS3 costs 499 in Italy (it's 826 $)
- XBOX 360 with Wireless controller, 20 GB Hard disk, HD TV cable, PES, 1 month of xbox live free and some other stuff cost 400 (552 $).
- If you gave your PS 2 and 4 games you buy your 360 for only 200 (276 $)

I love my 360 and, considering that the PS3 won't have a price drop till 2008, I think I made the right choice. Here in Italy very few people had problems with the 360, I think the 3 red bar problem came out only on the american version of the console.
The only thing that I dislike about the XBOX (other than it's made by microsoft :P) is the fact that it's not region free. I can only play games with PAL codification. That sucks if you consider that games like NCAA 08 and APF 2K8 don't come out in Europe :( Add to that the fact that I am a Madden hater...

McBain
07-23-2007, 03:47 PM
360 looks cool now... but give Ps3 a year to develop. You'll be glad you did.

jballa838
07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Also I don't agree, developers are having more problems trying to fit the game data all into one disc(9 gb disc space).
which is why they port the same game to the PS3 on their disc?