PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Draft

America
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
I know it's early, but what does everyone think our top need is. We've yet to see if any of the young corners can become full time starters, so a stud CB is on the list. Our Dline depth is shaky, with Dwan Edwards and Justin Bannan being our top 2 subs. The LB depth is solid enough for the time being but investing a top pick wouldn't be a bad idea(for the inside). Suggs should be locked up. Our safety position looks good, maybe a depth pick but nothing big. Our oline has tons of players, TE is solid, RB has $$$ invested into it. WRs seem OK, another one could be brought in if Mason goes and Darling/Moore continue to suck. QB is a darkhorse if Boller leaves and Smith is trash(which I don't see happening). Ogden could retire, but we'll see if Terry can handle it this year(I think he's better off on the left side anyways). Only possible starter I think is in a contract year is Vincent, but he won't be missed.

Here's a very early mock of our 3 first picks.
1. Chris Long. DE, Virginia. A versitile 3-4 end who's strong enough to play the 5 technique and fast enough to be a base SDE. Would be brought up by Pryce and then take over for him.

2. Dejuan Tribble. CB, Boston College. At first I didn't think he had the size to be picked this early, but he's plenty fast and can tackle well enough despite his short stature. He's a playmaker(7 picks this year) and also returns punts.

*Other possibility - Erin Henderson if he comes out.
*3rd taken from McGahee trade

4. De'Cody Fagg. WR, FSU. A big physical receiver who enters this year as a starter. Would be a good complement to the wideouts we have now.
*Lance Legett is also a possibility for a major steal if he gets his stuff together.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-23-2007, 03:11 PM
We need to add DL and safety depth, its actually scary how thin we are at those 2 areas this year. 1 injury in any DL or Safety position could make our stock plummet!

Bohleive
07-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Not sure I completely agree with that; I like Bannan alot and Sapp is serviceable as well, but it's true our depth is lacking. I look at DL as our number 1 need going into the '08 draft and cb as number 2.

Ravens1991
07-23-2007, 05:55 PM
round 1:Chris Long
round 2:some CB

EdReedUnstoppable
07-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Not sure I completely agree with that; I like Bannan alot and Sapp is serviceable as well, but it's true our depth is lacking. I look at DL as our number 1 need going into the '08 draft and cb as number 2.

Bannan is the only good depth we have on the DL, and Sapp is pathetic if he is who we have to rely on if Ed or Dawan goes down we are in serious trouble.

Bohleive
07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Bannan is the only good depth we have on the DL, and Sapp is pathetic if he is who we have to rely on if Ed or Dawan goes down we are in serious trouble.

What do you base that on? Everything I've seen of Sapp tells me he's solid, which is really all you can ask of your depth.
I agree that depth is needed and think it could be a problem with multiple injuries, but I don't think that 1 injury to either of those positions would automatically hurt us that much; exceptions being Reed or Pryce.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-23-2007, 08:53 PM
What do you base that on? Everything I've seen of Sapp tells me he's solid, which is really all you can ask of your depth.
I agree that depth is needed and think it could be a problem with multiple injuries, but I don't think that 1 injury to either of those positions would automatically hurt us that much; exceptions being Reed or Pryce.

I base it on what Ive seen of him on the field, he has never been solid at anything other than special teams which is good for the team but not for him to be the only hope at safety should Ed or Dawan get hurt.

Bohleive
07-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I base it on what Ive seen of him on the field, he has never been solid at anything other than special teams which is good for the team but not for him to be the only hope at safety should Ed or Dawan get hurt.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree one more time. I think in spot duty he did the job well enough. I think he pulls his weight in coverage and run support, and could be a starter on a weak team.

America
07-24-2007, 12:38 AM
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree one more time. I think in spot duty he did the job well enough. I think he pulls his weight in coverage and run support, and could be a starter on a weak team.

started for the Colts a few years ago. I doubt we address S though. We didn't take one in a very very safety heavy draft and spent high picks on luxury players, a return man and a 2nd guard. Sapp actually bulked up so he'd be a decent replacement at SS. I guess someone like Ivy would go to Reed's spot if he went down. I never understood why we let go of Chad Williams. He was a solid run defender and made big plays every now and then.

ccB
07-24-2007, 10:48 AM
I like the Chris Long fit alot, Id like to get a player like Aqib Talib in the 2nd round.

Yung Flippa
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Round 1: Chris Long.
Round 2: A Cornerback, if none of our young one's can prove they can be starters.
Round 3: Either WR or MLB.
Round 4: A Safety For Depth.
Round 5: A DL Lineman For Depth.
Round 6: A Kicker, Matt Stover Isn't Getting Any Younger.
Round 7: Best Player.

Tigers60
07-24-2007, 02:01 PM
I like this draft mainley cause of Long and Tribble after that we need some depth with the Safety and ILB position. Two late guys we could get are Brannon Jackson and Josh Williams both huge guys who can move.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-24-2007, 02:05 PM
Here's hoping for Christian Varner or JJ Justice in the late rds of the 08 draft!!

BigDawg819
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
De'Cody Fagg a Raven, that would be a steal no matter when we got him. I love watching him play and unfortunately he should be the go to guy at FSU and may be out of our reach. Safety and Corner are areas I see likely being targeted and need to be. Sapp as an option is laughable.

America
07-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Round 1: Chris Long.
Round 2: A Cornerback, if none of our young one's can prove they can be starters.
Round 3: Either WR or MLB.
Round 4: A Safety For Depth.
Round 5: A DL Lineman For Depth.
Round 6: A Kicker, Matt Stover Isn't Getting Any Younger.
Round 7: Best Player.

No 3rd rounder. Or 5th.

America
07-24-2007, 03:21 PM
I like the Chris Long fit alot, Id like to get a player like Aqib Talib in the 2nd round.

I would love Talib, but I see him being a mid 1st - early 2nd kind of guy, and that hopefully will be out of our range. But it's definately possible we could get him then cause pretty much everything will change come April.

BigDawg819
07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
We will NOT draft a Kicker; Stover will kick for us until 2032!

America
07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
A player I really like that would probably be good for us is Robert Killebrew. He plays Strongside LB at Texas and will be a 3 year starter. He's really intense, hits hard and plays the run really well. He could be a great inside backer for us.

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=15&change_well_id=17&member_id=49

MikeJones
07-24-2007, 04:36 PM
I hope we get Killebrew

niel89
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
How we will actually draft:

Round 1: Best Player
Round 2: Best Player
Round 4: Best Player
Round 6: Best Player
Round 7: Best Player