PDA

View Full Version : McFadden vs. past RB prospects

schmiddog
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
It's obviously still a bit early and the season is still ahead of us, but what is everyone's opinion of McFadden as a prospect vs. some of the better RB prospects of the past decade? Comparing Peterson and him is basically a was I'd say, but if I had to give an edge to someone it would be DMac because he's faster and has a better burst with the same kind of strength in his running. I'd say he's easily better than Ronnie, Cadillac, and C-Bens, and almost on Reggie Bush's level, though he projects as a far superior full time runner to Bush in the NFL. Going all the way back to the 1999 draft, I'd say he's superior to Ricky and Edge, if only by a little. Those are the best RB prospects of recent memory I can think of...

Paranoidmoonduck
07-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I like McFadden more than Peterson, if only because I think he does an infinitely better job at protecting himself from big impact hits. Obviously, so much is to be decided based on what kind of legacy McFadden leaves college with (assuming he even leaves after this year), but I'd say that he falls below Ricky Williams and Reggie Bush and above anyone else I can think of right now.

neko4
07-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I think he's bit too tall, but that doesnt seem to matter with how well he plays.
Plus he does well against top competition in the SEC

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 11:15 PM
He won't be on an elite level like Reggie Bush, but he'll provide a team with a very versatile tough back.

YAYareaRB
07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
I think he runs too high, kind of like AP. But no one in this class compares as far as versatility goes. It's pretty well known that he is the best RB.

1. Reggie Bush
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DMC/Marshawn Lynch

Flyboy
07-23-2007, 11:26 PM
I think he runs too high, kind of like AP. But no one in this class compares as far as versatility goes. It's pretty well known that he is the best RB.

1. Reggie Bush
2. Adrian Peterson
3. DMC/Marshawn Lynch

My list goes:

1. Reggie Bush (believe me, all homerism aside)
2. Darren McFadden
3a. Marshawn Lynch
3b. Adrian Peterson

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 11:28 PM
My list goes:

1. Reggie Bush (believe me, all homerism aside)
2. Darren McFadden
3a. Marshawn Lynch
3b. Adrian Peterson

Wow! Lynch tied with Peterson...maybe even a little ahead since he's a compared to b

Flyboy
07-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Yeah... I know I'm in the small, small, SMALL minority that likes Lynch just a tad bit over Peterson (at the pro level). Which is saying quite a bit since I think Peterson is just a beast.

TACKLE
07-23-2007, 11:30 PM
I view McFadden as a combo of AD and Reggie Bush but not quite at there level as far as their best attributes. He's a very good pure runner but not quite as good as AD. He's versatile and a big play threat but not as of a home-run hitter as Reggie.

YAYareaRB
07-23-2007, 11:36 PM
I view McFadden as a combo of AD and Reggie Bush but not quite at there level as far as their best attributes. He's a very good pure runner but not quite as good as AD. He's versatile and a big play threat but not as of a home-run hitter as Reggie.

Pretty much sums it up.. DMC is basically good at everything but master at none.

CC.SD
07-23-2007, 11:37 PM
I think a pretty good comparison is a faster Deuce McCallister.

Flyboy
07-23-2007, 11:38 PM

... Damn, that's a great comparison that I haven't really thought of CC. Good one.

VY10
07-23-2007, 11:40 PM
Is this as a prospect or player.

Prospect - Reggie > DMac

Player - DMac > Reggie

I personally don't like Reggie Bush. He is not an "elite" runningback...yet if ever. He had 3.6ypc and 0 runs over 20 yards. That to me is not elite. Yes he caught the ball 88 times.... maybe he should be labeled as a WR?

Caddy
07-23-2007, 11:40 PM
I think in recent years McFadden would figure in after Reggie Bush but before the likes of Cedric Benson, Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, Adrian Peterson and Marshawn Lynch.

Caddy
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Prospect - Reggie > DMac

Player - DMac > Reggie

I personally don't like Reggie Bush. He is not an "elite" runningback...yet if ever. He had 3.6ypc and 0 runs over 20 yards. That to me is not elite. Yes he caught the ball 88 times.... maybe he should be labeled as a WR?

It clearly says prospects in the thread title.

Flyboy
07-23-2007, 11:41 PM

Maybe he should be labeled as a playmaker? :rolleyes:

princefielder28
07-23-2007, 11:46 PM

that certainly is appropriate

soybean
07-24-2007, 12:02 AM

Prospect - Reggie > DMac

Player - DMac > Reggie

seriously, all these reggie bush nuthuggers. Didn't you guys see D-Mac put up 200 yards and 4 tds against the ravens? n00bs

[sarcasm]

VY10
07-24-2007, 12:12 AM

Well he certainly isn't a play maker yet :rolleyes:

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Well he certainly isn't a play maker yet :rolleyes:

Okie-dokie.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM

That's an interesting one. I always liked the comparison of Adrian Peterson to a young McAllister, but Deuce has gotten a lot better at protecting himself. I kinda like it the more I think about it.

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Guys, guys, guys...

McAllister.

:)

Sniper
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM

Prospect - Reggie > DMac

Player - DMac > Reggie

It's a good thing he's never going to develop and is screwed being a 3.6 guy for the rest of his career. You guys write off players so fast it's absurd.

CC.SD
07-24-2007, 12:24 AM
... Damn, that's a great comparison that I haven't really thought of CC. Good one.

Thank you, thank you. I can't believe I spelled his name wrong though, that's bad.

neko4
07-24-2007, 12:31 AM
I think he should play WR, I really think he's too tall to be a RB

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Pretty much sums it up.. DMC is basically good at everything but master at none.

Huh? He's got the best 5 yard burst I have ever seen. He's easily a sub 4.4 runner and has the best stiff arm in recent college football history. Not to mention the ability to plow tacklers when he needs to. He isn't all that elusive, but he is very quick. He runs a little upright at times, but that's mainly when he breaks away. When he hits the hole he has a good base and a great ability to pounce to the nearest crease and explode through it.

Sniper
07-24-2007, 01:55 AM
I think he should play WR, I really think he's too tall to be a RB

So what height should a RB be? MJD is 5'7 and is considered short, Reggie Bush is 6'0 and is considered small and McFadden is 6'2 and too tall? So we're looking for a back who's 6'1?

neko4
07-24-2007, 02:12 AM
So what height should a RB be? MJD is 5'7 and is considered short, Reggie Bush is 6'0 and is considered small and McFadden is 6'2 and too tall? So we're looking for a back who's 6'1?

Bush is small weight-wise
And IMO, 5'7 is good, it makes it way easier to get low

Moses
07-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Bush is small weight-wise
And IMO, 5'7 is good, it makes it way easier to get low

5' 7" is far too short in terms of ideal height. Between 5' 10" and 6' 1" is about ideal.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't get the McAllister comparison. Deuce is a power runner who isn't really known for his break away speed. McFadden is lighting quick.

I guess both their last names begin with Mc that's about the only comparison I see.

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I don't get the McAllister comparison. Deuce is a power runner who isn't really known for his break away speed.

You must have never seen a lot of Deuce pre-ACL tear...

constant cough
07-24-2007, 09:08 AM
You must have never seen a lot of Deuce pre-ACL tear...

I saw him plenty I'm an LSU/Saints fan(Also a big Deuce fan) so I've seen Deuce since his Ole Miss days. He was fast then but not McFadden fast. McFadden has a whole other gear that Deuce doesn't/didn't have. He doesn't hit the hole with the kind of explosion that McFadden does and will get caught from behind.

Did you see McFadden pulling away from LaRon Landry in the LSU game last year? We all know how fast LaRon is. McFadden is as least as fast as Reggie Bush and faster than Peterson.

Moses
07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I saw him plenty I'm an LSU/Saints fan(Also a big Deuce fan) so I've seen Deuce since his Ole Miss days. He was fast then but not McFadden fast. McFadden has a whole other gear that Deuce doesn't/didn't have. He doesn't hit the hole with the kind of explosion that McFadden does and will get caught from behind.

Did you see McFadden pulling away from LaRon Landry in the LSU game last year? We all know how fast LaRon is. McFadden is as least as fast as Reggie Bush and faster than Peterson.

I would disagree that McFadden is as fast as Bush, at least in terms of functional, on-the-field speed.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I would disagree that McFadden is as fast as Bush, at least in terms of functional, on-the-field speed.

If Bush has an edge in this, it is extremely small. McFadden's second gear is as good as anyone's and his 5 yard burst is unparalleled.

What distinguishes Bush from Dmac (but doesn't necessarily make him better) is the absurd change of direction ability.

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2007, 12:22 PM
i really dont think he's a better RB then peterson...close, but peterson is a beast and was damn near impossible to bring down as a freshman, just missed 2,000 yds...that lets you know what he's capable of doing

Sniper
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
i really dont think he's a better RB then peterson...close, but peterson is a beast and was damn near impossible to bring down as a freshman, just missed 2,000 yds...that lets you know what he's capable of doing

Yeah but McFadden ain't exactly a slouch either. I don't think you can go wrong either way. I like McFadden's return ability though, and I think he's a better receiver than Peterson. But Peterson just kills people.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 01:02 PM
You also have to factor in when comparing stats that McFadden is splitting time with Felix Jones and Peterson had the ball all to himself.

mqtirishfan
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM

Both backs can run inside and break away from defenders, that's where the comparison comes from, but he said himself that DMC is faster.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:09 PM
As a RB prospect I think it goes AD, McFadden and then Bush. But as an overall player I think it goes Bush, AD and McFadden. Bush has amazing athletisism not only with his speed but also his agility that puts him in another world as a playmaker he's one of if not the most difficult matchup in the NFL because he can line up almost anywhere on the field. AD is more of a pure RB with a great combo of power and speed. If he ran a bit lower he would arguably be the prototypical RB. McFadden does a lot of things very well but I don't see him as the dominant RB like AD or the mismatch like Bush. AD had a great college career even with his injuries, but McFadden has really only done it for a year.

Sniper
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
As a RB prospect I think it goes AD, McFadden and then Bush. But as an overall player I think it goes Bush, AD and McFadden. Bush has amazing athletisism not only with his speed but also his agility that puts him in another world as a playmaker he's one of if not the most difficult matchup in the NFL because he can line up almost anywhere on the field. AD is more of a pure RB with a great combo of power and speed. If he ran a bit lower he would arguably be the prototypical RB. McFadden does a lot of things very well but I don't see him as the dominant RB like AD or the mismatch like Bush. AD had a great college career even with his injuries, but McFadden has really only done it for a year.

You mean besides the 1,113 yards he accumulated in his freshman year on only 176 carries at 6.3 ypc? With 11 TD to boot?

constant cough
07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Both backs can run inside and break away from defenders, that's where the comparison comes from, but he said himself that DMC is faster.

D'Oh! Guess I need to read more carefully.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:21 PM
You mean besides the 1,113 yards he accumulated in his freshman year on only 176 carries at 6.3 ypc? With 11 TD to boot?

Compaired to the 1925 yards AD put up his freshman year a long with 15 TD. If it weren't for injuries AD imo was a 2000 yard per season type back. And since I don't feel that eiithr injury will hinder his NFL career I think he's better RB prospects than McFadden.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Compaired to the 1925 yards AD put up his freshman year a long with 15 TD. If it weren't for injuries AD imo was a 2000 yard per season type back. And since I don't feel that eiithr injury will hinder his NFL career I think he's better RB prospects than McFadden.

Yes but Peterson wasn't splitting time with Felix Jones. And he was also going up against Big 12 defenses and not SEC defenses. Big difference.

HoopsDemon12
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM

ya his freshman year was amazing... he proved he was a good back to a lot of people... IMO his stats wil only improve

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:26 PM
If it wasn't for injuries Peterson would be a far better prospect than McFadden in my opinion.

Flyboy
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
If it wasn't for injuries Peterson would be a far better prospect than McFadden in my opinion.

I'd still take DMac over Peterson without the injuries, but that's just me.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Oh and Peterson also had better talent around him at Oklahoma than McFadden does at Arkansas. I believe his freshman year they went undefeated in Big 12 play and played USC in the title game, not quite the same as running the ball for Arkansas.

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:29 PM
I'd still take DMac over Peterson without the injuries, but that's just me.

I think McFadden runs way too upright. Peterson does to an extent as well but not as badly in my opinion. We'll see, I'm not sold on McFadden being a productive NFL RB yet. I think he has to change a few things.

PACKmanN
07-24-2007, 02:33 PM
1. Reggie Bush
2. AD
3. McFadden
4. DeAngelo Williams
5. Marshawn Lynch

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:34 PM
1. Reggie Bush
2. AD
3. McFadden
4. DeAngelo Williams
5. Marshawn Lynch

I'd put Lynch above Williams. Probably Maroney too.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Yes but Peterson wasn't splitting time with Felix Jones. And he was also going up against Big 12 defenses and not SEC defenses. Big difference.

AD carried a team to the national championship as a freshman. And I wouldn't consider the Big 12 a weak conference. Texas won the National championship the following season.

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Arkansas is also a bit more of a gimmicky offense than Oklahoma's and those of the NFL.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 02:42 PM
AD carried a team to the national championship as a freshman. And I wouldn't consider the Big 12 a weak conference. Texas won the National championship the following season.

I'm just saying that Oklahoma team was more loaded than the Arkansas team McFadden is on. And I never said the Big 12 was weak, just not as strong on defense as the SEC outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

Brown - Saints
Clayton - Ravens
Rufus - Vikings
Dvoracek - Bears
Pool - Browns
Bradly - Bears
Cody - Ravens
Jones - Titans
Perkins - Browns

And I'm sure I left a few names out. We're not really comparing the talent level at Oklahoma to Arkansas are we?

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Just a quick look at some of McFadden's numbers also seem to make me feel he's not the same consistant force that AD is. McFadden seems to have big games and then some ok games. I felt USC had one of the better defenses last season and he only put up 42 yards but only got 9 carries and was a non factor in the game. Another top defense and another disapoitment for McFadden when you look at the Florida game where on 21 carries he up up 73 yards. Yes he had a great game against a very good LSU defense, but I thought his numbers would have been more impressive than they are, I guess from the few times I've watched him I expected more for the talent I saw.

constant cough
07-24-2007, 02:48 PM
I felt USC had one of the better defenses last season and he only put up 42 yards but only got 9 carries and was a non factor in the game.

He had a broken toe in that game, plus they were breaking in a new offensive corridator and a new offensive scheme.

. Yes he had a great game against a very good LSU defense

Ranked the #3 defense in the nation.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:52 PM
I'm just saying that Oklahoma team was more loaded than the Arkansas team McFadden is on. And I never said the Big 12 was weak, just not as strong on defense as the SEC outside of Texas and Oklahoma.

Brown - Saints
Clayton - Ravens
Rufus - Vikings
Dvoracek - Bears
Pool - Browns
Bradly - Bears
Cody - Ravens
Jones - Titans
Perkins - Browns

And I'm sure I left a few names out. We're not really comparing the talent level at Oklahoma to Arkansas are we?

No ones saying Oklahoma didn't have a very good team, but I think people aren't give credit to the talent Arkansas has right now. They had Anderson go high in this years draft and Houston went at the top of round 2 along with Tony Ugoh. I'd expect Marcus Monk to go high in next years draft and Arkansas had the top recruiting class two seasons ago. Arkansas has talent too.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 02:54 PM
He had a broken toe in that game, plus they were breaking in a new offensive corridator and a new offensive scheme.

Ranked the #3 defense in the nation.

What about Florida the biggest game of the year along with the bowl game against Wisconson? AD has always come up big in the big games McFadden wasn't the game changer in either of those game.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I think McFadden compares most favorably to Marcus Allen, down to the size, breakaway speed, and versatility to catch and even throw the ball if needed. McFadden should have a similar NFL career.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
What about Florida the biggest game of the year along with the bowl game against Wisconson? AD has always come up big in the big games McFadden wasn't the game changer in either of those game.

McFadden is a much better big game running back than Peterson ever was. Peterson never ran for over 100 yards in a bowl game in three tries.

Moses
07-24-2007, 03:09 PM
I think McFadden compares most favorably to Marcus Allen, down to the size, breakaway speed, and versatility to catch and even throw the ball if needed. McFadden should have a similar NFL career.

How ya'll doin' up there? Ya'll doin' all right? 45, Boobie, that's my nephew out there. That boy can play some football. He can play left, he can play right, don't make no difference. He can block, tackle, score the touch down, snap the ball, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the Gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch. I'm telling ya, the boy can plain outplay football.

OOHH! And he can pass!

Sniper
07-24-2007, 03:10 PM
McFadden is a much better big game running back than Peterson ever was. Peterson never ran for over 100 yards in a bowl game in three tries.

How'd he do against Texas? I consider rivalry games bigger than bowl games myself.

Sniper
07-24-2007, 03:10 PM
How ya'll doin' up there? Ya'll doin' all right? 45, Boobie, that's my nephew out there. That boy can play some football. He can play left, he can play right, don't make no difference. He can block, tackle, score the touch down, snap the ball, and kick the extra point. Hell, the boy will fill up the Gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch. I'm telling ya, the boy can plain outplay football.

OOHH! And he can pass!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA great post.

MNRunLeft
07-24-2007, 03:21 PM
How'd he do against Texas? I consider rivalry games bigger than bowl games myself.

Yeah I would say AD has done pretty well in big games Texas is the obvious example of playing well when your team needs a win over 200 yards against an undefeated Texas team as a freshman? AD may not have gone over 100 yards in a bowl game but he's play in 2 hurt last season with a broken collarbone that hadn't healed. His freshman year USC was just far to good and the game was a blow out so he wasn't getting a lot of carries.

draftguru151
07-24-2007, 03:25 PM

He injured in ankle in the Florida game and played the Wisconsin game with the same injury.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 03:55 PM
He injured in ankle in the Florida game and played the Wisconsin game with the same injury.

Plus Wisconsin had a ton in the box to stop McFadden and Jones; they made Casey DickQB beat them

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Why does everyone still not realize that McFadden was 70% or less for the first and last two games of his season?

P-L
07-24-2007, 04:48 PM

I guess 182 yards and 3 TD in the Big XII Championship game isn't impressive? Is 225 yards against rival Texas in 2004 not impressive either? Even this past year he ran for 120 yards and 1 TD against Texas. Bowl games are not the only big games.

Even so, I don't see what McFadden has done for you to declare him a better big game runner than Peterson. In case you missed Arkansas' Bowl game last year, McFadden ran for 89 yards. He also only ran for 73 against Florida in the SEC Championship game. Wanna guess how many TD he scored in those two games? A whopping zero. Felix Jones was far more impressive than McFadden in the Bowl game.

I'm not trying to take anything away from McFadden, he's a great player. One of the best in the country. However, you have no basis for your claim that he's a better big game runner than Peterson. You knock Peterson for something that McFadden himself couldn't even accomplish.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I guess 182 yards and 3 TD in the Big XII Championship game isn't impressive? Is 225 yards against rival Texas in 2004 not impressive either? Even this past year he ran for 120 yards and 1 TD against Texas. Bowl games are not the only big games.

Even so, I don't see what McFadden has done for you to declare him a better big game runner than Peterson. In case you missed Arkansas' Bowl game last year, McFadden ran for 89 yards. He also only ran for 73 against Florida in the SEC Championship game. Wanna guess how many TD he scored in those two games? A whopping zero. Felix Jones was far more impressive than McFadden in the Bowl game.

I'm not trying to take anything away from McFadden, he's a great player. One of the best in the country. However, you have no basis for your claim that he's a better big game runner than Peterson. You knock Peterson for something that McFadden himself couldn't even accomplish.

He was 70% at best for the two games you refer to, and the fact that he did what he did is amazing. Peterson experienced similar difficulties in the Fiesta Bowl because of an injury, so those games aren't really fair to look at for either party.

T.Smith
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
Am I the only one who think McFadden is rather overrated as an nfl prospect? He seems like a dime a dozen type of back in the nfl. He's got Cedric Benson written all over him.
AD is bigger,stronger, more explosive. I really don't see how anyone would pick McFadden over AD.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 05:00 PM

Hit it right on the nose. When Arkansas played the badgers in January McFadden was not the player causing the Badgers problems it was Felix "The Cat" Jones. He very elusive and is just as big of a threat in that offense as McFadden.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Hit it right on the nose. When Arkansas played the badgers in January McFadden was not the player causing the Badgers problems it was Felix "The Cat" Jones. He very elusive and is just as big of a threat in that offense as McFadden.

He still had the achillies\ankle injury. A McFadden at 100% and Arkansas walks away with a handy win

keylime_5
07-24-2007, 05:23 PM
I take Bush over McFadden as a player (but as a pure RB I take McFadden), and also Peterson over McFadden. Other than those 2 I would take McFadden over any other RB prospect since LaDanian Tomlinson.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM

As I recall, Peterson was 100% healthy for the Orange Bowl and Holiday Bowls, but he was shut down. In this year's Texas game, he gained 104 yards, but had that awful play on the swing pass that was a lateral, that ended up going for a Texas touchdown. After his freshman year, he hasn't had many knock your socks off performances in big, nationally televised games. The closest thing you can point to was his game @ Oregon, who had a very poor run defense. McFadden made a name for himself in big nationally televised games last year - LSU, @ Auburn, @ Tennessee - even more impressive is the fact that two of those were on the road.

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2007, 05:59 PM

EVER was? im guessing you have no idea what the red river shootout is and never saw any the past 3 seasons....he demolished our D at 18 years old, and regardless of what anyone thinks about the big 12 Texas had NFL bound players on that team/defense....yet he still racked up over 200 yds even when we knew he was getting the ball...id classify that as a big game...

there are alot more big games in a season then a bowl game

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
IMO (first round backs since '05 draft & this years potential prospects)-

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Darren McFadden
3. Reggie Bush
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Laurence Maroney
7. DeAngelo Williams
8. Cedric Benson
9. Joseph Addai

Off the top of my head. If I missed one, my bad. I prefer true runningbacks who can tote the rock 30 times a game. If McFadden was 6'2 225 I would have him number 1.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
EVER was? im guessing you have no idea what the red river shootout is and never saw any the past 3 seasons....he demolished our D at 18 years old, and regardless of what anyone thinks about the big 12 Texas had NFL bound players on that team/defense....yet he still racked up over 200 yds even when we knew he was getting the ball...id classify that as a big game...

there are alot more big games in a season then a bowl game

Not denigrating his performance in that game, but it was a long time ago now, nearly three years ago. Since then, he just hasn't had that many excellent performances on the big stage. He's had opportunities. But this thread isn't about Adrian Peterson's big game performances. I only made that observation in response to someone saying that Peterson has "always come up big in the big games". Not true.

HoopsDemon12
07-24-2007, 06:24 PM
Am I the only one who think McFadden is rather overrated as an nfl prospect? He seems like a dime a dozen type of back in the nfl. He's got Cedric Benson written all over him.
AD is bigger,stronger, more explosive. I really don't see how anyone would pick McFadden over AD.

i dont see you comparison at all... not as a player ... cause he is faster than benson could ever dream of being... and benson isnt a slouch... he will have a great season this year... so really i just dont see it

Staubach12
07-24-2007, 06:28 PM
He's better than Adrian Peterson in my mind because he's not as upright in his running style and will, therefore, have less injury problems. McFaddy may be more naturally sturdy than Peterson, as well. Bush is superior to McFadden because of the raw ability to make plays and talent. He's a better player, while McFadden is a better running back. He's better than any of the 2005 RBS. I think the only one who's better as a prospect in the past decade would be Ricky Williams.

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2007, 06:32 PM
Not denigrating his performance in that game, but it was a long time ago now, nearly three years ago. Since then, he just hasn't had that many excellent performances on the big stage. He's had opportunities. But this thread isn't about Adrian Peterson's big game performances. I only made that observation in response to someone saying that Peterson has "always come up big in the big games". Not true.

your right, it was a long time ago...when he was a freshman, what evidence do you have to prove that he lost talent and got worse while he was at OU? meaning obviously you seen the potential you needed to see when he was still raw at 18, and like its already been stated...you say that as if mcfadden has been beastly in every big game possible, when felix jones was the more standout back in alot of those games...

TACKLE
07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
For those of you who don't know what McFadden is capable of, here's a video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA(good vid but the music sucks)

T.Smith
07-24-2007, 06:54 PM
For those of you who don't know what McFadden is capable of, here's a video.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1FCfZoPGEFA(good vid but the music sucks)

All that shows is how GREAT his blocking is. He hardly has to do anything but follow the big *** hole the 0-line create. Felix Jones does just as good of a job as McFadden does, if not better. I don't get all the hype around McFadden at all. A large portion of RB's could be doing what he is doing in that system.

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2007, 07:05 PM
Im just gonna say this, trying to rate him to former prospects right now is pointless, lets wait to see some workouts, this final year, his timed 40, shuttle, bench, etc...he hasnt been critiqued the way the other players have...remember when brady quinn was the #1 pick/qb going into his senior year, yet after he played that year, and film was broken down and workouts he slid, JM was ranked higher and quinn wasnt what everyone thought a year earlier....

so id give it another 9 months or so before all the speculation, weaknesses and things will be brought to our attention that no one is paying attention to now...

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 07:16 PM
All that shows is how GREAT his blocking is. He hardly has to do anything but follow the big *** hole the 0-line create. Felix Jones does just as good of a job as McFadden does, if not better. I don't get all the hype around McFadden at all. A large portion of RB's could be doing what he is doing in that system.

You're digging your own grave here man. Tommy Tuberville has readily admitted that McFadden is noticeably superior to Ronnie and Cadillac, Mark Richt said he's the best back he's ever seen, Mel Kiper said he would have been one of the first 3-5 players off the board were he eligible this year, SI had him as their #1 prospect for the 2008 draft class. The vast majority of professional opinion tabs this guy as a can't miss prospect. Sure, there's a ways to go, but there is no reason to think he won't be a top 5 pick provided full health next April.

If you actually think a "large portion" of RB's could explode through the hole and into the tight creases of the secondary and outrun everyone like he does, you're completely delusional

T.Smith
07-24-2007, 07:31 PM
You're digging your own grave here man. Tommy Tuberville has readily admitted that McFadden is noticeably superior to Ronnie and Cadillac, Mark Richt said he's the best back he's ever seen, Mel Kiper said he would have been one of the first 3-5 players off the board were he eligible this year, SI had him as their #1 prospect for the 2008 draft class. The vast majority of professional opinion tabs this guy as a can't miss prospect. Sure, there's a ways to go, but there is no reason to think he won't be a top 5 pick provided full health next April.

If you actually think a "large portion" of RB's could explode through the hole and into the tight creases of the secondary and outrun everyone like he does, you're completely delusional

And Im delusional? NO Professional scout ever says anything public about what they see on the gamefilm. Also Mel Kipler isn't good at what he does, if he was, he wouldn't be working at espn, he would be working for some teams scouting players.

Anyways You didn't dispute or argue any of my points. He looks so good because of his line, he never has to to anything untill he is in the open feild. He never has to fight to get in front of that line of scrimmage. He does have explosiveness Im not doubting that. Im not even doubting he is a good back, he just won't be anything more then average in the nfl, yet everyone is already crowing this kid as HOF. Felix Jones only further proves my point.

McFadden will be nothing more then an average back in the nfl, unless he gets the best line in the league. I know me arguing this won't do **** because everyone is so far up his ***.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
And Im delusional? NO Professional scout ever says anything public about what they see on the gamefilm. Also Mel Kipler isn't good at what he does, if he was, he wouldn't be working at espn, he would be working for some teams scouting players.

Anyways You didn't dispute or argue any of my points. He looks so good because of his line, he never has to to anything untill he is in the open feild. He never has to fight to get in front of that line of scrimmage. He does have explosiveness Im not doubting that. Im not even doubting he is a good back, he just won't be anything more then average in the nfl, yet everyone is already crowing this kid as HOF. Felix Jones only further proves my point.

McFadden will be nothing more then an average back in the nfl, unless he gets the best line in the league. I know me arguing this won't do **** because everyone is so far up his ***.

Why does Felix Jones prove your point? If anyone benefits from the system,it's him---he always has a ton a of space to work with when he gets the ball, especially when they are running the wildcat. I'd say the most important thing you're failing to notice about the video is how quickly he accelerates through extremely tight spaces (when most backs would be tackled\run down) and takes it to the house. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with you LOS argument, but suffice it to say he is very good at breaking tackles and being a physical runner when he needs to be. Your claim that he'll be nothing more than average in the NFL is pretty laughable.

T.Smith
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Why does Felix Jones prove your point? If anyone benefits from the system,it's him---he always has a ton a of space to work with when he gets the ball, especially when they are running the wildcat. I'd say the most important thing you're failing to notice about the video is how quickly he accelerates through extremely tight spaces (when most backs would be tackled\run down) and takes it to the house. I'm not exactly sure where you're going with you LOS argument, but suffice it to say he is very good at breaking tackles and being a physical runner when he needs to be. Your claim that he'll be nothing more than average in the NFL is pretty laughable.

Exacly, the same goes for McFadden. He has so much room to work with of course he is going to look very impressive. Also McFadden doesn't really break tackles, you look at that video and there is hardly any contact. Because of his great o-line, when the defnese does catch up to him, they have bad angles and are only able to get there hands on them, which Mcfadden easily busts through.
You never see him go head to head with a linebacker and plow him over. In the NFL 9 times out of 10 the Defense will have angles on you before you even pass the line of scrimmage.. I never see that at Arkansas.

I realize this whole argument is all in vain because people are to bust holding his jock strap to even question him.

schmiddog
07-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Exacly, the same goes for McFadden. He has so much room to work with of course he is going to look very impressive. Also McFadden doesn't really break tackles, you look at that video and there is hardly any contact. Because of his great o-line, when the defnese does catch up to him, they have bad angles and are only able to get there hands on them, which Mcfadden easily busts through.
You never see him go head to head with a linebacker and plow him over. In the NFL 9 times out of 10 the Defense will have angles on you before you even pass the line of scrimmage.. I never see that at Arkansas.

I realize this whole argument is all in vain because people are to bust holding his jock strap to even question him.

Maybe it isn't as evident from watching that video, but McFadden is a force with the ball in his hands and anyone who has watched a lot of Arkansas football knows full well he is handful and a half to take down and has the best stiff arm in college football. Go watch highlights of the LSU game and watch him truck Laron Landry

Moses
07-24-2007, 08:16 PM

Do you realize how much more money he makes scouting for ESPN? Kiper is good at what he does.

BamaFalcon59
07-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Did someone say McFadden doesn't take contact well? I don't think you've seen him play. While he doesn't seek contact like Adrian Peterson he has an amazing stiffarm and can plow through defenders when push come to shove.

remix 6
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
i dont think anyone is as good of a runner as Peterson is. Adrian is just insane.

Sniper
07-25-2007, 12:04 AM

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Darren McFadden
3. Reggie Bush
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Laurence Maroney
7. DeAngelo Williams
8. Cedric Benson
9. Joseph Addai

Off the top of my head. If I missed one, my bad. I prefer true runningbacks who can tote the rock 30 times a game. If McFadden was 6'2 225 I would have him number 1.

I heard he had bulked up to the 225-230 range this off-season. I could be mistaken.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-25-2007, 01:00 AM
I think McFadden runs way too upright. Peterson does to an extent as well but not as badly in my opinion. We'll see, I'm not sold on McFadden being a productive NFL RB yet. I think he has to change a few things.

I completely disagree.

I think McFadden is much better at avoiding the big hits and protecting himself than Peterson is. He runs upright just like Peterson, but for the speed he moves and the size he is, he falls quite softly compared to Peterson.

schmiddog
07-25-2007, 01:34 AM
I completely disagree.

I think McFadden is much better at avoiding the big hits and protecting himself than Peterson is. He runs upright just like Peterson, but for the speed he moves and the size he is, he falls quite softly compared to Peterson.

Perhaps he's not quite the steamroller that AD is, but to say he falls softly is wrong. McFadden is an excellent power runner

Paranoidmoonduck
07-25-2007, 01:54 AM
Perhaps he's not quite the steamroller that AD is, but to say he falls softly is wrong. McFadden is an excellent power runner

Falls softly as doesn't crash headfirst into the ground often, like Peterson. I think McFadden is a very good power runner.

Crazy_Chris
07-25-2007, 03:13 AM
Also Mel Kipler isn't good at what he does, if he was, he wouldn't be working at espn, he would be working for some teams scouting players.

He Hath Broken the Forbidden Rule, Never diss kiper... Someone correct please correct me if im wrong(pretty sure im not). But i do believe kiper was offered jobs in the NFL and he turned them all down.

Iamcanadian
07-25-2007, 09:47 AM

Your right on but before the draft some people just love to hate and be critical. McFadden is one of the best RB prospects in a long time, superior at this point to Peterson mainly because pro scouts didn't like Peterson's upright running style and all his injuries. He is certainly a better prospect than the 3 guys who went top 5, Brown, Benson and Caddy. The only thing that may keep him from being #1 pick in the draft is the fact that QB's, if one is a top 5 prospect, almost always go #1 over the last decade. Right now, he's a lock for no worse than #2 unless he has a miserable senior year or gets injured.

Moses
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Your right on but before the draft some people just love to hate and be critical. McFadden is one of the best RB prospects in a long time, superior at this point to Peterson mainly because pro scouts didn't like Peterson's upright running style and all his injuries. He is certainly a better prospect than the 3 guys who went top 5, Brown, Benson and Caddy. The only thing that may keep him from being #1 pick in the draft is the fact that QB's, if one is a top 5 prospect, almost always go #1 over the last decade. Right now, he's a lock for no worse than #2 unless he has a miserable senior year or gets injured.

Runningbacks are never a lock for the top of the draft unless they're a once-in-a-lifetime type like Reggie Bush.

BamaFalcon59
07-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I heard he had bulked up to the 225-230 range this off-season. I could be mistaken.

That would be absolutely insane.

6'2/ 225 with amazing athletic ability, versatility, and production.

Jonathan_VIlma
07-25-2007, 12:57 PM
And you're forgetting his big games vs. LSU and Tennessee two games that kept McFadden almost won singlehandedly. He didn't play bad vs. Wisconsin either, almost 5 yards a carry.

Thunder&Lightning
07-25-2007, 02:48 PM
i think mcfadden is better than peterson as well hes bigger, more durable better athlete i think

etk
07-25-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet here yet, but McFadden doesn't turn 20 for about another month. He's gonna be so beast in Madden 09.

etk
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Darren McFadden
3. Reggie Bush
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Laurence Maroney
7. DeAngelo Williams
8. Cedric Benson
9. Joseph Addai

I'd go with...

1. McFadden
2. Maroney...yes
3. Bush
4. Peterson
5. Brown
6. Cadillac
7. Addai
8. D. Williams
9. Benson

ripdw27
07-25-2007, 05:21 PM
run dmc for heisman..

im sure its pretty unanimous that bush is top dog..
but i think mcfadden is better then any rb in this draft class as well as the 08 draft class. i honestly think after this year hes gonna prove to be almost/just as good as reggie bush...

ripdw27
07-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd go with...

1. McFadden
2. Maroney...yes
3. Bush
4. Peterson
5. Brown
6. Cadillac
7. Addai
8. D. Williams
9. Benson

1. Reggie Bush
2. Laurence Maroney
3. Darren McFadden
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Cadillac Williams
6. Adrian Peterson
7. Joseph Addai
8. Deangelo Williams
9. Cedric Benson
10. Mike Bell (homer)

MNRunLeft
07-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Maroney shouldn't even be in this conversation. Being from Minnesota I've watched most of his games and he comes from a Gopher system that simply produces 1000 yard rushers. Maroney has always had injuries when asked to carry the load. He's doesn't have the speed or run with the power AD does.

BamaFalcon59
07-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Peterson is 6th in your recent RB rankings? Pretty low.

Staubach12
07-25-2007, 09:17 PM
As prospects...

1. Reggie Bush
2. Darren McFadden
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Laurence Maroney
6. Cadillac Williams
7. Cedric Benson
8. Deangelo Williams
9. Joseph Addai

Flyboy
07-25-2007, 09:25 PM
As prospects...

1. Reggie Bush
2. Darren McFadden
3. Adrian Peterson
4. Ronnie Brown
5. Laurence Maroney
6. Cadillac Williams
7. Cedric Benson
8. Deangelo Williams
9. Joseph Addai

Damn, no Marshawn Lynch?

etk
07-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Damn, no Marshawn Lynch?

He wasn't in the original list. I shouldn't speak for Staubach, but I ordered my list based on the available players from the original.

Flyboy
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh, I skipped through some pages. That explains it.

BamaFalcon59
07-25-2007, 09:47 PM
My fault. I made the original and forgot.

goodlookin
07-26-2007, 12:22 AM
"The athlete most often cited in 2003 as perhaps being NFL-ready: tailback Adrian Peterson, who at the time was preparing for his senior season at Palestine (Texas) High School. He ran for 2,960 yards and 32 touchdowns that year before departing for Oklahoma."-Len Pasquarelli

just some food for thought

constant cough
07-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Well it's not like McFadden wasn't a 5 star stud himself in highschool. Not really sure what that has to do with anything though.

Jr. - 204 att 2,027 yards 9.9 avg 19tds
Sr. -184 att 1,965 yards 10.7avg 27tds

metafour
07-26-2007, 05:55 AM
Fans of SEC teams know how good McFadden is, thats all I'll say.

Sniper
07-26-2007, 06:16 AM

Fans of every team should know how good he is.

MNRunLeft
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM

I don't think anyones saying McFadden isn't a very very good player its just a question of if he's the best prospect to come out in recent drafts. It's not as if he's being compaired to bad players.

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:48 PM

I think most know he is an excellent player, that's not the problem. The most common problem with the perception of DMac by most is the classification of him as a "Reggie Bush" type prospect who will play a similar role in the NFL to the former USC star. This could not be more wrong, and McFadden is more than well enough equipped to step in right away and be a force as a full time ball carrier for whatever team is lucky enough to get him

geaux tigers
08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Skimmed thru the 1st few pages only. For those comparing AD's almost 2000 yd freshman season to McFadden's #'s is totally unfair. Look at OU's passing game then and what Arky has to offer. Every defense playing arkansas plays to stop the run, while Jason White threw for ~3500yds 35+ TD's.

yourfavestoner
08-01-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm still in the minority that believes that Jonathan Stewart will explode this year and end up being the first runningback taken.

Florida's defense laughs in the face of Darren McFadden.

HerthaFootballFan
08-01-2007, 07:02 PM
If McFadden stays healthy and improves on last year he'll be the Calvin Johnson of running backs.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm still in the minority that believes that Jonathan Stewart will explode this year and end up being the first runningback taken.

I think it's certainly possible, but not very probable. McFadden has all the press, all the production, and is probably as impressive physically as Stewart. Stewart is going to have to step up his game a lot and will probably have to completely destroy Michigan's defense to have a shot at slipping ahead of McFadden.

Of course, any number of things could happen which would lower McFadden's stock.

duckseason
08-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I'm expecting to see more emphasis on the running game this year. There is talk that it's a team goal to get both Stewart and Johnson over 1,000 yards. Looking at last year's results and turnover numbers, I think the coaches realize they need to put the ball in the hands of our best players more often. The biggest obstacle for Stewart will be his health. Not only does he need to be healthy to put up an impressive season, he also needs to prove to the NFL that he's not injury prone if he wants to be considered an elite prospect. If his ankle problems continue, that's gotta be a huge red flag for teams. I'm almost more interested to see where Johnson ends up being drafted. Bellotti has been quoted as saying that he might be the better natural back, and I think I'd remove the "might" if it came out of my mouth. The dude is just sick with the ball in his hands. And despite his size, he's got an awesome stiff arm in his arsenal that is very effective. I'd like to hear more talk about him. Maybe if Stewart leaves early, we'll see a full season of Johnson as a feature back. Not that I'm hoping for that or anything.

I could see Stewart surpassing McFadden though. But I think it would take a hellacious breakout season, and would also require McFadden to stagnate or regress. Seems highly unlikely to me. Both should post ridiculous workout numbers.

etk
08-01-2007, 08:32 PM

That's certainly possible. Some teams might prefer having a stockier back like Stewart depending on their system. Other teams might appreciate McFadden's size, and slashing ability. I think McFadden will go first but Stewart might be more productive and consistent in the Pros. I've never been a big fan of lanky backs.

Flyboy
08-01-2007, 08:47 PM
If McFadden stays healthy and improves on last year he'll be the Calvin Johnson of running backs.

As a prospect... eh.. debatable.

HerthaFootballFan
08-01-2007, 11:27 PM
As a prospect... eh.. debatable.

Of course it is, but I think he'll end up being the clear cut top player in his class and go down as one of the better prospects at his position in a long time, if he's healthy and really did bulk up over 220, I don't count reggie bush as he's just a playmaker who doesn't have a single position.

draftguru151
08-01-2007, 11:34 PM
I don't think McFadden will have the measurables to be considered that elite of a prospect. He could very well end up the unanimous top player in the draft, but one of the best ever like Johnson, I don't see that.

HerthaFootballFan
08-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I don't think McFadden will have the measurables to be considered that elite of a prospect. He could very well end up the unanimous top player in the draft, but one of the best ever like Johnson, I don't see that.

If he's added 15 pounds of muscle and shows improvement on his previous years I think he very well could be, his quickness through holes is disgusting with someone with his size and ability to break tackles, that stiff arm is nasty.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-02-2007, 01:24 AM
The kind of numbers Johnson posted at the combine were pretty much unheard of, and the kind of impression he made there considering how few workouts he did was insane.

McFadden is a nice athlete, but I'm not even sure he's on Peterson's level when it comes to workout numbers. I don't think he's the next best thing at runningback though. Combine performances like Calvin Johnson's seems to be coming around more often (example: Vernon Davis and Mario Williams), but I don't think we'll be seeing one from McFadden next year.

HerthaFootballFan
08-02-2007, 08:22 AM
The kind of numbers Johnson posted at the combine were pretty much unheard of, and the kind of impression he made there considering how few workouts he did was insane.

McFadden is a nice athlete, but I'm not even sure he's on Peterson's level when it comes to workout numbers. I don't think he's the next best thing at runningback though. Combine performances like Calvin Johnson's seems to be coming around more often (example: Vernon Davis and Mario Williams), but I don't think we'll be seeing one from McFadden next year.

Realistically he could show up, 6'2" 225 pounds, run a 4.30 and own the quickness drills. To me that's a combine good enough, when paired with his play, to warrant a top selection.

etk
08-02-2007, 08:37 AM
I think McFadden can run under 4.4, and at his size that should be enough to be considered an elite prospect.

HerthaFootballFan
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I think McFadden can run under 4.4, and at his size that should be enough to be considered an elite prospect.

Judging by his game performance he accelerates through gaps faster noticeable faster than AD, and AD ran under a 4.4 so I think McFadden can realistically run a 4.30, at 6'2" 220 that's sick, even if he only added 5 pounds and is up to only 210 that's still impressive.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Realistically he could show up, 6'2" 225 pounds, run a 4.30 and own the quickness drills. To me that's a combine good enough, when paired with his play, to warrant a top selection.

A 4.30 seems highly improbable. McFadden is fast, but has a running back ever run a time that good at the combine? I think something between a 4.35 and a 4.4 flat seems far more likely.

I love McFadden, I think he's a great prospect, but I don't think he is quite the workout warrior some may assume.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Plus if he's at 225, he probably won't be as fast or quick as he was this past year.

Sniper
08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Judging by his game performance he accelerates through gaps faster noticeable faster than AD, and AD ran under a 4.4 so I think McFadden can realistically run a 4.30, at 6'2" 220 that's sick, even if he only added 5 pounds and is up to only 210 that's still impressive.

Considering Reggie Bush ran a 4.33 and he is most definitely faster than McFadden, don't bank on that 4.3 flat.

BamaFalcon59
08-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Reggie ran a pro-day 4.33. So I wouldn't expect more than a 4.38 at the combine for McFadden.

Primetime21
08-02-2007, 06:24 PM
In the LSU game Mcfadden blazes past Landry with ease on one of his long TD runs. In case you all forgot Landry ran a 4.35 at the combine, so impossible is nothing.

Ohh and does anyone think that theres a chance for him to stay for his senior year. Seems like everything I read about him he talks about how he loves the college experiance and loves Arkansas in general. Man I love his character too. Him and Kenny Irons top my list for funniest RB prospects.

schmiddog
08-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Considering Reggie Bush ran a 4.33 and he is most definitely faster than McFadden, don't bank on that 4.3 flat.

As outrageous at it may seem, McFadden is just as fast or faster than Reggie Bush. When in good health (which admittedly has been an issue for him), he is going to run in the high 4.2 to low 4.3 range.

Could Reggie Bush split a secondary like this and get through this crease as fast McFadden?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bhTzdYPFLDs

It's close, and he probably would have scored, but Bush is not that fast. I realize one clip isn't sufficient justification, but McFadden does this all the time when healthy (and, as I said, his health {particularly if he gets tweaked this year} will be a big issue when his draft status is evaluated)

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:28 PM
My opinion hasn't really changed in that, I think, prospect value wise, McFadden's the best in recent memory. I like him better than Peterson. That said, there's a whole year of film to go through, so we'll see if anything changes my mind this year.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 10:15 PM
As outrageous at it may seem, McFadden is just as fast or faster than Reggie Bush. When in good health (which admittedly has been an issue for him), he is going to run in the high 4.2 to low 4.3 range.

Could Reggie Bush split a secondary like this and get through this crease as fast McFadden?

It's close, and he probably would have scored, but Bush is not that fast. I realize one clip isn't sufficient justification, but McFadden does this all the time when healthy (and, as I said, his health {particularly if he gets tweaked this year} will be a big issue when his draft status is evaluated)

I think you vastly underestimating Bush's speed...

etk
08-02-2007, 10:24 PM

I think they are very close when it comes to straight-line speed. McFadden runs like a gazelle and takes big gracious strides. Bush is more quick and elusive but still about equal in speed. I think some people are underrated McFadden's speed, saying Peterson is faster...

duckseason
08-02-2007, 10:26 PM

Maybe. But in reality the difference between these two thoroughbreds is minimal when it comes to pure speed. I think Reggie starts to separate himself from others when you factor in his ridiculous cutback ability and overall agility.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
I think they are very close when it comes to straight-line speed. McFadden runs like a gazelle and takes big gracious strides. Bush is more quick and elusive but still about equal in speed. I think some people are underrated McFadden's speed, saying Peterson is faster...

I'm not saying McFadden isn't on Bush's level in terms of speed.. they are very close. As is.. Jerious Norwood/Ted Ginn (strictly straight-line speed), but yeah.. Peterson is not in the same category with speed when it comes to Bush/D-Mac.

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Eh, I think McFadden is actually getting overrated in terms of speed and explosion though the hole. I may be wrong but I'd take Peterson for both.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I'd take Peterson's explosion through the hole, yes. Breakaway speed, I'll take McFadden.

etk
08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I'm not saying McFadden isn't on Bush's level in terms of speed.. they are very close. As is.. Jerious Norwood/Ted Ginn (strictly straight-line speed), but yeah.. Peterson is not in the same category with speed when it comes to Bush/D-Mac.

Mmm...Norwood. He's your guy when it comes to accelerating through a hole or after a cutback. I'd give Bush & DMac the edge when it's breakaway time, though. Ginn's speed is overrated, just like Hester, because of his playmaking ability. Guys like that are natural at making people miss and finding lanes to score, so people assume they must be faster than everyone else because they always see them running loose down the sidelines.

etk
08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Eh, I think McFadden is actually getting overrated in terms of speed and explosion though the hole. I may be wrong but I'd take Peterson for both.

I'd take Norwood & 'Turner the Burner' over both to explode through the hole.

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 10:41 PM
They are both very close, but I don't see McFadden running much better than a 4.38-4.40.

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
Mmm...Norwood. He's your guy when it comes to accelerating through a hole or after a cutback. I'd give Bush & DMac the edge when it's breakaway time, though. Ginn's speed is overrated, just like Hester, because of his playmaking ability. Guys like that are natural at making people miss and finding lanes to score, so people assume they must be faster than everyone else because they always see them running loose down the sidelines.

Eh, Ginn doesn't make people miss with jukes, he makes people miss with speed. Don't agree with that, nor with Hester's assessment.

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 10:44 PM
I'd take Norwood & 'Turner the Burner' over both to explode through the hole.

Turner, not sure, but I'm not gonna argue Norwood, his foot speed and explosion though the hole is gross. Wasn't really counting him in the discussion though, really just comparing McFadden with AD.

etk
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Eh, Ginn doesn't make people miss with jukes, he makes people miss with speed. Don't agree with that, nor with Hester's assessment.

Yeah I tried to be general in saying "make people miss". He uses his speed well with natural instincts to maximize his return yardage, like Hester's days at Miami (other than the Duke TD). Their speed might be deceptive, but I don't jump out of my seat when I see them breakaway. Maybe because they don't have an extra gear like those other guys, rather they constantly play on full speed gear. Either way, their speed is not as impressive as Bush or DMac's, IMO.

Javzz
08-02-2007, 10:49 PM

I don't see the durability issues? His one football significant related injury was the high ankle sprain he sustained last year. I think he injured it against South Carolina when he got horse collared and may have reaggravated it against Florida. That or he only really sprained it against Florida.

The toe thing was a completely different ordeal altogether. Most people will screw up their foot in one way or another when kicking cement.

etk
08-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Turner, not sure, but I'm not gonna argue Norwood, his foot speed and explosion though the hole is gross. Wasn't really counting him in the discussion though, really just comparing McFadden with AD.

Yeah, I just had to express my obsession with the two when I had the chance. I really wish both would get more opportunities with the ball, it would make fantasy football so much easier this year.

schmiddog
08-03-2007, 12:10 AM
They are both very close, but I don't see McFadden running much better than a 4.38-4.40.

Peterson is noticeably slower than McFadden, I really don't think there's any other conclusion to come to after watching the tape. He's also more fluid and less stiff than Peterson

schmiddog
08-03-2007, 12:15 AM
I don't see the durability issues? His one football significant related injury was the high ankle sprain he sustained last year. I think he injured it against South Carolina when he got horse collared and may have reaggravated it against Florida. That or he only really sprained it against Florida.

The toe thing was a completely different ordeal altogether. Most people will screw up their foot in one way or another when kicking cement.

He played somewhat hurt his whole freshman year, and the injury from the Florida game lingered all the way through the capital one bowl, during which he was noticeably hurt.

Javzz
08-03-2007, 01:29 AM
He played somewhat hurt his whole freshman year, and the injury from the Florida game lingered all the way through the capital one bowl, during which he was noticeably hurt.

Football players are somewhat hurt all throughout the season. I think him running for 1000+ and 11 TD's on a 6.3 average is testament that the injury wasn't affecting him that much.

The ankle sprain was the first football injury to have a significant impact on his game. That's not cause for concern as of now.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-03-2007, 03:25 AM

Perhaps in terms of speed and explosion, but, as someone mentioned, McFadden's second gear is kind of amazing. The distance he can put between himself and defenders is really incredible.

I also think that, while Peterson explodes through holes well, McFadden picks his holes much better and has better vision running inside.

etk
08-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Perhaps in terms of speed and explosion, but, as someone mentioned, McFadden's second gear is kind of amazing. The distance he can put between himself and defenders is really incredible.

I also think that, while Peterson explodes through holes well, McFadden picks his holes much better and has better vision running inside.

Yeah, Peterson just seems to run wild wherever he feels to. That's part of the reason why his slashing style gets him injured so often.

Addict
08-03-2007, 11:24 AM
as far as prospects over the past few years go... bush is the top guy, DMC and AD are tied for second and after that lots and lots of folks I don't feel like naming.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I don't get you guys. McFadden and Peterson aren't seperated as prospect all that much. The real difference is their running styles. Pro scouts and GM's were scared that Peterson upright style would limit his career and shorten it. It would make him much more subseptable to injuries. Other than that, which is huge to pro scouts and GM's, there isn't a whole lot to complain about from either player except Peterson missed a lot of playing time due to injury. I don't know where all the other crap about running styles is coming from. If Peterson wasn't injured significantly in college and didn't have a more upright style, he easily goes #2 in the draft which in all likelyhood, is exactly where McFadden will be drafted as long as he remains healthy his last year in college.

draftguru151
08-03-2007, 11:31 AM
McFadden basically has the same upright running style as Peterson.

schmiddog
08-03-2007, 01:21 PM
McFadden basically has the same upright running style as Peterson.

McFadden does a much better job of tucking his body and getting low when he's in traffic. He seems to run upright more when he has space to work with, I'd imagine because he's faster that way.

HerthaFootballFan
08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
I know some of you will seriously disagree with this but what makes Reggie so nasty isn't his straight line speed, but rather his disgusting ability to change directions at any point and his amazing agility. Straight Line he isn't really faster than guys like McFadden or Norwood. McFadden is also almost certainly faster than Peterson so I expect him to run a better time than Peterson, notably better which is why I'm thinking low 4.3 for him, maybe not a 4.30 but low 4.3 none the less.