PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Martin to officially retire from the NFL

shavedaeyebrow2
07-24-2007, 11:29 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2947121

Curtis has been my favorite player on the Jets, and possibly of all-time. It's a shame he had to leave due to injuries. It would've been fun, if he had been healthy the past couple of seasons, to try and see him move up the all-time leading rushing yards list.

AlexDown
07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Hall of Famer

neko4
07-24-2007, 11:57 AM
Hall of Famer

What he said
Now whats he gonna do, retire, or do the Bus thing, broadcasting

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 11:59 AM
It's a shame he didn't get another chance to play, but he left a great legacy

BigDawg819
07-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Its about time...........

LonghornsLegend
07-24-2007, 12:35 PM
would of liked to see one more year, he was a beast in his prime, seems like forever since he played for the pats...

i remember i kept holding him in fantasy last year to come back, but it never happened...but definate first ballot HOF no question

V. Young
07-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Sad.. I really enjoyed watching him.

YAYareaRB
07-24-2007, 12:40 PM
My favorite Martin. I think he should be a coach.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I am not sure, but I think I remember reading somewhere that he didn't want to be a coach. It was something I read a while ago on the Jets website, so I am not going to go looking back for the article. He said he was never really interested in coaching.

Jonathan_VIlma
07-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I highly doubt he'll coach or get into broadcasting. He's said before that he doesn't truely love football, he just loves the competitive nature of the sport.

But he was a great player nonetheless, great runner, and a great blocker. His jersey will most likely be retired to my wall.

He was such a trooper, playing with torn cartiledge in 2005 for more then half a season, but unfortunately that was the blow that would bring him to the end. Almost good to see him get out, because he wants a life after football.

Zim3031
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I wish he would've done this a long time ago. It'll be a strange day when there's no more #28 on the field :(

Turtlepower
07-24-2007, 01:42 PM
All of those 1,000 yard seasons just took a toll on him. He was one of the most reliable running backs in the history of the NFL and a great franchise Jet.

Yung Flippa
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
About time he "officialy" retires......But Still He's a Hall Of Famer to me.

bigbluedefense
07-24-2007, 01:46 PM
His adversaries will say and point out that never during his career was Curtis Martin a top 3 back in the NFL, maybe only once.

I however, believe that he still deserves to be hall worthy because of his durability and consistency. Consistency is hard to come by in the NFL, and you knew you were getting it out of Martin every year. He was a top tier back all of his career and provided great consistent production.

Id put him in. Not first ballot, but he should get in eventually.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-24-2007, 01:50 PM
all hail one of the great underrated, but not necessarily under appreciated, RBs of all-time. u never heard about the guy in the media, and u rarely heard huge things about him on the field, but he was nothing else but consistent and a great player. i will agree that he may not be first ballot, but he is HoF worthy in my mind, no doubt.

sad to see him go.

Geo
07-24-2007, 02:19 PM
All of those 1,000 yard seasons just took a toll on him. He was one of the most reliable running backs in the history of the NFL and a great franchise Jet.
I blame the 2004 season more than anything, when that moron Herm Edwards let Martin (in his 10th year) carry the ball 379 times despite LaMont Jordan being on the roster. Martin and his body weren't the same afterwards, although to his credit, Martin gutted through the 2005 season despite the knee injury among others.

2004 Curtis Martin
379 carries for 1697 yards (4.6 avg), 12 touchdowns
41 receptions for 245 yards (6.0 avg), 2 touchdowns

2004 LaMont Jordan
93 carries for 479 yards (5.2 avg), 2 touchdowns
15 receptions for 112 yards (7.5 avg)

That prick Edwards doesn't give a damn about his RBs near as much as he cares about saving his own damn neck, not a surprising scenario given that a team will never win a championship with him as their head coach. I dearly hope that Larry Johnson gets the heck away from him as soon as possible, for the sake of his professional career. For crying out loud, LJ's 416 carries last season set the league record for a season, in addition to 41 receptions, and that was just the regular season.

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Curtis Martin will probably get in the HOF eventually but I don't think he should. He never dominated the game ever. A compiler.

Shiver
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Curtis Martin will probably get in the HOF eventually but I don't think he should. He never dominated the game ever. A compiler.

I am with you. Unfortunately we are likely in the minority. I don't think either Martin or Bettis are all time great Running Backs.

Turtlepower
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Just because you never dominated the league does not mean that you do not deserve to be in the HOF. Because Jamal Lewis dominated the league one season, should he deserve to be there? I think not. Almost every year of his career, DC had to plan on how to stop him. This was for nearly a decade. There are only a handful of players you can say that did that.

Jughead10
07-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Just because you never dominated the league does not mean that you do not deserve to be in the HOF. Because Jamal Lewis dominated the league one season, should he deserve to be there? I think not. Almost every year of his career, DC had to plan on how to stop him. This was for nearly a decade. There are only a handful of players you can say that did that.

Thats really only because he never got injured. Until now. There are a ton of guys like that whose careers were just shorter because of injuries.

Zim3031
07-24-2007, 02:48 PM

There was a two year period when Kurt Warner "dominated" the league. Should he get in? Is a brief period of domination the only criteria for the hall of fame.

Curtis may well have been a compiler, but there have been only 3 running backs ever to have compiled more than him. RB isn't the same position as wide receiver; it's extremely rare to see one carry a team's running game for 10 straight years.

Zim3031
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Thats really only because he never got injured. Until now. There are a ton of guys like that whose careers were just shorter because of injuries.

Curtis Martin got injured a lot. He just never missed a game because of it ;)

Geo
07-24-2007, 03:08 PM
It's an interesting question, whether Martin should be in the Hall of Fame.

I think ultimately he gets in, although Martin can certainly thank the stats he compiled as an incredibly durable and consistent back. As of today, retiring from the game, Martin is 4th all-time in rushing yards (14,101 yards), behind Emmiitt Smith, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.jsp?story_id=2364).

A quick reference search also found the following (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.jsp?release_id=1344):

New York Jets running back Curtis Martin became just the second player in National Football League history to rush for 1,000 yards in each of his first 10 seasons. Martin reached the 1,000-yard mark during Week 11 of the 2004 season to match the record set by Hall of Famer Barry Sanders.

Priest Holmes and Tiki Barber each produced a few dominant years or so, but they have no place whatsoever in the Hall imo. And I'd gladly take Martin instead, if I wanted someone to put on my team on Sundays and the occassional Monday.

Moses
07-24-2007, 03:11 PM
I agree that Martin deserves HOF and neither Barber nor Holmes does.

USAF Chief
07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Perhaps another possible location for LJ in the ongoing "trade LJ" saga?

Im not extremely familiar with who NYJ has now as their starting RB but LJ has expressed interest in going to the big apple to be closer to Jay-Z and his Roc A Fella clan.

Perhaps, perhaps?

Turtlepower
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Perhaps another possible location for LJ in the ongoing "trade LJ" saga?

Im not extremely familiar with who NYJ has now as their starting RB but LJ has expressed interest in going to the big apple to be closer to Jay-Z and his Roc A Fella clan.

Perhaps, perhaps?

They have Thomas Jones who is a more than campable back to carry the load for the Jets.

Jughead10
07-25-2007, 07:47 AM
It's an interesting question, whether Martin should be in the Hall of Fame.

I think ultimately he gets in, although Martin can certainly thank the stats he compiled as an incredibly durable and consistent back. As of today, retiring from the game, Martin is 4th all-time in rushing yards (14,101 yards), behind Emmiitt Smith, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders (http://www.profootballhof.com/history/story.jsp?story_id=2364).

A quick reference search also found the following (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/release.jsp?release_id=1344):

Priest Holmes and Tiki Barber each produced a few dominant years or so, but they have no place whatsoever in the Hall imo. And I'd gladly take Martin instead, if I wanted someone to put on my team on Sundays and the occassional Monday.

I think Martin gets in eventually, I just personally wouldn't put him in. He just never put fear into the eyes of an opponent in my opinion. I feel like no team ever came in to play the Jets and felt "we better not let Martin run wild on us today". Forget about Holmes and Barber, lets leave them out of this discussion. A better example to me would be Shaun Alexander. People feel like he isn't a HOF yet, but honestly, but he will be and in my opinion probably more deserving than Martin.

AlexDown
07-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Getting into the Hall of Fame doesn't mean you have to have more then a few dominate years. I don't know why you keep saying that. You have made it obvious that this is the way YOU would consider putting someone in.

I don't feel that is the case. Which is part of the reason I feel that guys like Tiki Barber and Priest Holmes will never be in the HOF.

Jughead10
07-25-2007, 11:17 AM
Getting into the Hall of Fame doesn't mean you have to have more then a few dominate years. I don't know why you keep saying that. You have made it obvious that this is the way YOU would consider putting someone in.

I don't feel that is the case. Which is part of the reason I feel that guys like Tiki Barber and Priest Holmes will never be in the HOF.

But if Curtis Martin was never a top 3 back at any point in his career, how can one consider him to be put in the HOF with the best of the best of all time, let alone just within their playing periods.

AlexDown
07-25-2007, 11:24 AM
But if Curtis Martin was never a top 3 back at any point in his career, how can one consider him to be put in the HOF with the best of the best of all time, let alone just within their playing periods.

Why do you keep bringing this point up? This quality does not stop a player from entering the HOF.

His career stats/accomplishments are some of the best all time. I shouldn't have to list them out for you.

trkaline
07-25-2007, 11:25 AM
People that say Curtis Martin should go in only think that because he is a Relic. He Played for awhile did somethings, managed to escape obscurity but I dont think he had the impact to shoot into the NFL HOF.

Jughead10
07-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Why do you keep bringing this point up? This quality does not stop a player from entering the HOF.

His career stats/accomplishments are some of the best all time. I shouldn't have to list them out for you.

I don't care for stats. Biggio just got 3,000 hits in baseball and he isn't a HOF in my mind either. Actually the two are very similar in two different sports. Also of course quality matters. I feel they would be opening Pandora's box and would have to let in so many fringe players if they start letting in guys like Martin and Biggio in baseball.

AlexDown
07-25-2007, 11:36 AM
I'm not talking about baseball.

I respect your opinion, but mine is different.

I guess the main difference is you feel like guys like Tiki Barber deserver it over a guy like Curtis Martin. Although correct me if I am wrong because this is just the impression I am getting.

Jughead10
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I'm not talking about baseball.

I respect your opinion, but mine is different.

I guess the main difference is you feel like guys like Tiki Barber deserver it over a guy like Curtis Martin. Although correct me if I am wrong because this is just the impression I am getting.

I never said Tiki deserves it over him. You just assume that. Although Tiki's last three years have never even come close to being touched by Martin at any point of his career. But I'm sour on Tiki these days.

#1chiefs_fan
07-25-2007, 11:40 AM
I really hate that he had to leave this way. One of the most underated players to play the game. There is no doubt in my mind this guy will be a hall of famer.

AlexDown
07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
I never said Tiki deserves it over him. You just assume that. Although Tiki's last three years have never even come close to being touched by Martin at any point of his career. But I'm sour on Tiki these days.

I never said you said Tiki should get in. This was the impression I got from your vision of who should get into the Hall of Fame and you wanting to leave Tiki out of the conversation.

P-L
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with Jughead. You people are silly for misinterpreting him. No, one or two years of dominance and five to seven years of average play is not Hall of Fame worthy. However, I don't believe 10 years of above average play is Hall of Fame worthy either. For a player to be deserving for the Hall of Fame in my mind they need a few years of dominance and consistent good play for the rest of their careers. When I think of the Hall of Fame, I think of all-time greats. When I think of the all-time great RB, I do not think of Curtis Martin.

He did have ten 1000 yard seasons, which is impressive. However, he only had five seasons of 1300 yards or more. In this day and age, 1000 yards for a RB isn't what it used to be. Each and every season anywhere from 15-20 (or more) guys are able to accumulate 1000 yards. His career average yards per carry is only 4.0, which is nothing special. In 11 years, he's had four season in which he's averaged under 3.8 per carry and only two seasons where he got more than 4.2 per carry. He only score double-digit TD four times.

You have to give him credit for being able to stay healthy for as long as he did. However, I don't think every RB who stays healthy and receives a lot of carries should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Curtis Martin, very good consistent RB? Yes. One of the all-time greats? Sorry, I just don't see it.

PoopSandwich
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Skip Bayles just said he doesn't belong in the hall at all...

Jughead10
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
On a side not, I'm part of a wedding this weekend where the whole family are crazy Jet fans. I have a feeling this will come up at some time in the reception.

Also Martin doesn't have a ring he can hang his hat on either. I know that is rather meaningless as football is the ultimate team sport, but for some reason they look at it.

robswinga
07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
I agree with Jughead. You people are silly for misinterpreting him. No, one or two years of dominance and five to seven years of average play is not Hall of Fame worthy. However, I don't believe 10 years of above average play is Hall of Fame worthy either. For a player to be deserving for the Hall of Fame in my mind they need a few years of dominance and consistent good play for the rest of their careers. When I think of the Hall of Fame, I think of all-time greats. When I think of the all-time great RB, I do not think of Curtis Martin.

He did have ten 1000 yard seasons, which is impressive. However, he only had five seasons of 1300 yards or more. In this day and age, 1000 yards for a RB isn't what it used to be. Each and every season anywhere from 15-20 (or more) guys are able to accumulate 1000 yards. His career average yards per carry is only 4.0, which is nothing special. In 11 years, he's had four season in which he's averaged under 3.8 per carry and only two seasons where he got more than 4.2 per carry. He only score double-digit TD four times.

You have to give him credit for being able to stay healthy for as long as he did. However, I don't think every RB who stays healthy and receives a lot of carries should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Curtis Martin, very good consistent RB? Yes. One of the all-time greats? Sorry, I just don't see it.

I know i'm kind of a Johnny come lately, but what RBs get into the HOF, if Martin doesnt??

hcbrad08
07-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Winslow...SKIP BAYLESS IS A MORON, he's a shock jock and makes bold claims a majority of people will disagree with so ESPN will get ratings, (not that Cold Pizzas good anyway)
Jughead...You're just hating on Curtis Martin's ability and HoF status b/c youre a pissed off Giants fan who doesn't have a running back anymore b/c Tiki Barber couldn't suck it up like Curtis Martin, or be a class act like Curtis Martin, but I digress.
For Anyone who says Curtis Martin "stayed healthy" throughout his career and was a "compiler" is wrong b/c as someone pointed out before and as has been all over the New York Media since '99 Martin always played hurt. He was an ironman and played through pain, through bone on bone contact in his right knee for almost his entire career and still alwas put up 1,000 yards. He's not a compiler like Emmit Smith who left the Cowboys instead of taking a million dollar pay cut or retiring 3rd all time rushing. I'm not saying he is Emmit Smith he didnt have the breakaway ability but he was the oldest player to win the rushing title. If you didnt think teams feared Curtis Martin look at the entire package he could always get the tough yards ahe was a great reciever out of the back field and he could block, I guarantee you with the teams he played for they keyed in on him and he still got the yards.

He's walking away because he can't play anymore he left it all on the field... Rings have nothing to do with it so dont bring that into the discussion anymore. Curtis Martin deserves to be in the Hall of Fame for working as a football player and doing it with class.

neko4
07-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Wasnt he in the 96 super bowl?

ks_perfection
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Very good back for a long time, had a couple great season (not amazing), a bunch of decent ones. Teams do gameplan how to stop him and key on him, but they do that for most starting RB they face each week.

trkaline
07-25-2007, 09:12 PM
He is ancient time for him to go...

BamaFalcon59
07-25-2007, 09:45 PM
I think dominance over a 3-5 year period is the most importent thing. A one year wonder won't do it, and neither will 15 years 15,000 total yards. But a player like Martin has to be let in for career accomplishments. Fourth all-time leading rusher has to be in there.

IMO the 3-5 year dominance is imortant especially for RBs because most don't last too long and some don't start till year 3 or 4. See Larry Johnson who will be dominant for about 4 more years. That means dominance for 6 total years, and not as impressive career stats as some others. But he will dominate.

Also Priest Holmes has the same deal. 2 extremely dominant years, one very good one, and another above average one. I don't know if that (3 very good years) is enough but he should warrent consideration.

Jamal Lewis will be close. His 2003 season alone puts him in consideration.

Tiki Barber deserves consideration, but I was never scared of him as I was Jamal Lewis, Priest Holmes, Larry, etc.. Maybe because I don't like the Giants.

Geo
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I know i'm kind of a Johnny come lately, but what RBs get into the HOF, if Martin doesnt??
Off the top of my head, I'd vote for Edgerrin James before Curtis Martin, but I think both Edge and Martin get in anways so perhaps that's a moot point. Edge will have the all-time numbers to complement his years of dominance, both before and after his knee injury (impressively becoming more of a power back to do the latter).

Marshall Faulk is getting in, obviously. FYI, Faulk, Martin, and Jerome Bettis will all be up for HOF consideration in 2010, having played their last game in the 2005 season.

Wasnt he in the 96 super bowl?
Yes, Martin reached Super Bowl XXXI (1996) with the Patriots, the 1998 AFCCG with the Jets with Vinny Testeverde as his starting QB, and was a Doug O'Brien FG away from the 2004 AFCCG with an injured Chad "Pistol Arm" Pennington as his QB.

Martin's career postseason average, in 10 games played:
18.2 carries, 79.3 rushing yards, 0.8 rushing touchdowns
3.7 receptions, 30.5 receiving yards

As I said earlier, imo Martin gets into the HOF.

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 07:57 AM
He's not a compiler like Emmit Smith who left the Cowboys instead of taking a million dollar pay cut or retiring 3rd all time rushing. I'm not saying he is Emmit Smith he didnt have the breakaway ability but he was the oldest player to win the rushing title.

Emmitt Smith did stay around to break the record but he wasn't a compiler in the sense that Martin was. There was a pretty significant period of time when Emmitt and Sanders were the two best RBs in the league. That is something Curtis Martin could never say. Me saying Martin not being a HOFer has nothing to do with me being a Giants fan. Martin is an amazing man, especially off the field and in his personal life. I just feel letting him in is a slippery slope. I'm a big believer in not watering down the HOF inductees, in both baseball and football. I've had a similar discussion before in the baseball thread. Total numbers just don't do it for me. Everyone says certain numbers guarantee you spots in the HOF, I just don't agree with that at all.

hcbrad08
07-26-2007, 08:55 AM
You don't believe in accumulated statistics fine... He was one of the best in the league throughout his career and was the best in 2004 (look at the stats below). A slippery slope my a$$ if you let him in! He was a presence in a game and a playmaker look at his highlight reels ontop of the fact that he set an NFL record for longest streak of touches without fumbling (while having some of the highest number of carries) and having only 16 lost fumbles over 11 years ...you're argument is bias because he wasn't flashy and you are ignorant to Martin's success

Seasons among the league's top 10

Rushes: 1995-2, 1996-7, 1998-3, 1999-2, 2000-6, 2001-4, 2003-8, 2004-1

Rushing yards: 1995-3, 1996-9, 1997-8, 1998-8, 1999-2, 2001-2, 2004-1

Rushing TDs: 1995-3, 1996-2, 1998-8t, 2000-10t, 2001-4t, 2004-8t

Yards from scrimmage: 1995-5, 1996-8, 1997-10, 1998-6, 1999-5, 2000-9, 2001-4, 2004-3

Rush/Receive TDs: 1995-6, 1996-2, 2001-10t, 2004-7t

Martin belongs in the Hall and I'll be there in 2012 when he's inducted.

On a side note about 10 years ago I went to my little cousin's birthday party after a game. My cousin saw Curtis after the game, asked him for his autograph and told him it was his birthday and gave him and invitation to go to the birthday party as a joke...I think you can all see where Iam going with this, needless to say he showed up at my cousins party and gave him a jersey and a signed game ball. It was the classiest thing I've ever seen, the man was poilte and unlike some who would show up and leave he stayed for a good while and talked to everyone. I'm sad this man is retiring, and I wish him the best of luck in ownership of an NFL team.

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Those aren't exactly glaring HOF numbers in my opinion.

hcbrad08
07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
There are 241 people in the Hall of Fame Martin is one of only 16 players to score 100 TDs. Drew Beldsoe is a compiler b/c he's been playing for 14 years many of them very bad. Martin played 11 productive seasons, he didn't try and stretch out his career and pass Barry Sanders or to get 100 Rushing TDs how do you fault a guy for being consistent and almost never making mistakes. He won the rushing title as a 31 year old the oldest player to accomplish that feat (with a 4.6 average that year so it wasn't just the amount of carries) and you say he was never the best in the league. He played well his entire career and when it was over it was over.

So I told you he is the oldest player to win the rushing title with almost 1,700 yards and he almost had 400 carries. (he kept it going and wasn't rackign up 800 yards at a time until he was 1st or 2nd all time rushing)

He holds the NFL record for most touches without fumbling (which shows his reliability and consistency)

He's tied with Barry Sanders for the only player to rush for 1,000 yards in his first 10 seasons (from start to finish he was great and don't tell me that's not impressive there's a reason no one else has done it)

AND....

Among the league's all-time top 20
Rushes: 3
Rushing yards: 4
Rushing TDs: 12t
Yards from scrimmage: 7
Rush/Receive TDs: 19t

In your opinion Curtis Martin isn't a Hall fo Famer why because these records and accomplishments aren't impressive and not worthy well according to these unimpressive stats he's better than about 225 of the guys who already got in. And you can't use the argument that guys like Jim Brown werebetter because they had an aura about them and a niche to fall into like a bruiser or a shifty guy. Martin had an aura of greatness at all times he was a go to guy and extremely versatile. When called upon, he delivered

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Whatever. Agree to disagree. Just some quick hits. Agree on Drew Bledsoe, he is also not a HOF in my books, I don't know who would consider him one. Also 10 consecutive seasons of 1,000 yards while somewhat impressive again means you just didn't get injured. 1,000 isn't and hasn't been what it used to be. If you are starting on a halfway decent team, you are getting 1,000 yards.

hcbrad08
07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
just for the record I was not advocating Drew Bledsoe for the Hall but I think you know that, he's just the classic case of a compiler (him and Vinny Testaverde). Martin played hurt a lot like I said as a RB he had bone on bone contact in his knee and won the rushing title...It's not like he just scraped by on 1,000 yards every year he had 1,200 yards+ 7 of the 10 years he broke 1,000 yards. His final injury that caused him to retire forced a reconstructive knee surgury. They didn't have to drag him off the field bc of how beat up he was but he was really banged up.... Like you said agree to disagree just trying to get the point across I really think he's a first ballot hall of famer.

Also if you don't think Martin should be in the Hall which RBs should be in the HoF (Terrell Davis? Priest Holmes?) And for the record I do think Terrel Davis deserves a good deal of consideration for the Hall.

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 10:01 AM
I think neither deserve it.

P-L
07-26-2007, 10:15 AM
I don't see Terrell Davis getting any consideration for the Hall. He only had three really years. Unfortunately, injuries cut his career short. However, with only four full seasons in the league, I don't think you can really put him in.

shavedaeyebrow2
07-26-2007, 11:54 AM
We also take into consideration the man Curtis Martin was. If Curtis was a complete ass then you're right, his chances for the hall wouldn't be as great. Curtis was just the epitome of a team player, all-around nice guy, a guy just in it to help the world. People will look at who he is as a person, and where he stands in the record books and will put him in the hall. If Bettis gets in and Curtis doesn't in 2010, then there is something very wrong there.

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 12:02 PM
We also take into consideration the man Curtis Martin was. If Curtis was a complete ass then you're right, his chances for the hall wouldn't be as great. Curtis was just the epitome of a team player, all-around nice guy, a guy just in it to help the world. People will look at who he is as a person, and where he stands in the record books and will put him in the hall. If Bettis gets in and Curtis doesn't in 2010, then there is something very wrong there.

All that about Curtis is true, being a great great man. But honestly, I think that has no bearing on whether someone should be in the HOF or not.

Shiver
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
As hesitant as I am about Martin. I would put him in over Jerome Bettis, any day.

xooberon
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
well he's not done with the NFL yet

Curtis Martin began his one-day farewell tour this morning on CBS' "Early Show" in Manhattan, where he dropped this bombshell:

The Jets' all-time leading rusher is planning to become an NFL owner.

"I'm done playing football in the NFL, but I'm not done with the NFL," Martin said during the TV interview.

Told there have been rumors that he might buy into a team (rumor? Hah! This was a planted question), Martin replied, "Yes, it's very true."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2007/07/martin_planning_to_buy_nfl_tea.html

UPDATE: According to a report on the Jets' official Web site, the team he is planning to buy into is "a team other than the Jets."

yourfavestoner
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
My guess is the Bills.

TheChampIsHere
07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
I saw on an interview Curtis Martin says he had always wanted to be an owner when his career ended and that it looks like thats whats gonna happen but he cant be too specific right now. Id definitely be happen to see one of the good guys of the sport be an owner, although I figure hes just going to be buying a very small stake of some team since he doesnt have a whole lot of money.

'cuse-213
07-27-2007, 07:06 PM
I saw on an interview Curtis Martin says he had always wanted to be an owner when his career ended and that it looks like thats whats gonna happen but he cant be too specific right now. Id definitely be happen to see one of the good guys of the sport be an owner, although I figure hes just going to be buying a very small stake of some team since he doesnt have a whole lot of money.

Yeah, he said he wanted to give detailed information on Thursday, but he couldnt. So it must actually be pretty close to being finalized(how the hell do you spell that).

The Unseen
07-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Yeah, he said he wanted to give detailed information on Thursday, but he couldnt. So it must actually be pretty close to being finalized(how the hell do you spell that).

You're correct.

Finsfan79
07-31-2007, 09:10 AM
He was a heck of a player and a dolphin killer nothing but respect for him