PDA

View Full Version : Charles Tillman locked up till 2013

Hines
07-24-2007, 04:19 PM
NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Charles Tillman on a six-year extension through 2013 worth $41.5 million, with $18.5 million in guarantees.

Chicago signed Nathan Vasher to a similar extension last month, so the Bears have one of the best young cornerback tandems locked up for six seasons. Tillman got $2.9 million more guaranteed, although the deal is probably backloaded. Tillman has been inconsistent as a pro, but was one of the league's best in 2006.

good signing if you ask me...hes a really good corner and i believe if a saftey goes down he could get moved there

D-Unit
07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Yay! Another overpaid player!

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 04:24 PM
The bears paid someone????

Stash
07-24-2007, 04:29 PM
LOL, I read that title and thought you meant he was going to jail. I guess thats just the way things have been going this offseason.

Brent
07-24-2007, 04:35 PM
LOL, I read that title and thought you meant he was going to jail. I guess thats just the way things have been going this offseason.
Haha, I thought the same thing.

bored of education
07-24-2007, 04:38 PM
WOW, Larry Johnson is def. holding out.

Geo
07-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Keep in mind that nickel corner, and violent bigot at the occassional Denny's restuarant, Ricky Manning Jr. is also signed for the next few years.

I've said on more than one occassion that I think the Bears have the best trio of cornerbacks in the league in Tillman/Vasher/Manning Jr, and now the team has ensured themselves that experienced yet still relatively young trio for a number of years.

Hines
07-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Keep in mind that nickel corner, and violent bigot at the occassional Denny's restuarant, Ricky Manning Jr. is also signed for the next few years.

I've said on more than one occassion that I think the Bears have the best trio of cornerbacks in the league in Tillman/Vasher/Manning Jr, and now the team has ensured themselves that experienced yet still relatively young trio for a number of years.

i believe that they could and should move tillman to free saftey and have vasher and manning jr play corner

PoopSandwich
07-24-2007, 04:46 PM
First glance I thought it meant jail I was like WTF...

Guess thats just because thats all thats been in the news lately.

TheChampIsHere
07-24-2007, 04:50 PM
yeah I think this was expected...the Bears seem intent on locking up everyone except Briggs

Splat
07-24-2007, 05:05 PM
They now have both starting CB's locked up nice work.

SFbear
07-24-2007, 05:30 PM
i believe that they could and should move tillman to free saftey and have vasher and manning jr play corner

I strongly disagree. We got a chance to see Ricky Manning Jr. start in the Tampa Bay game when Tillman was out with injury and Ricky Manning almost single handedly lost the game for us when he was repeatedly burned for big plays. Tillman is our best corner and this contract shows that the Bears agree with that assesment.

San Diego Chicken
07-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I think it is slightly humorous that Tillman was basically 2005's version of Fred Thomas, getting absolutely shredded by Steve Smith in the playoffs. He had a very good 2006, but to me the Bears overpaid.

The Dynasty
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
I wonder what Briggs is thinking right about now lol.

TheChampIsHere
07-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I wonder what Briggs is thinking right about now lol.

I get the feeling the Bears feel like Briggs is replaceable

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I get the feeling the Bears feel like Briggs is replaceable

They've done it before so I'm sure they're tempted to do it again

bearsfan_51
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
The Bears overpayed? Are you kidding me? We locked up Tillman and Vasher for about the same price as the Niners paid for Nate Clements alone. I'm actually suprised we got him at this price. The guaranteed money is a bit much but it's less than what some guards are getting at today's market.

As has been previously noted, we locked up our 3 starting corner's for the next five years, that's a huge move.

It also shows that if you play hard and aren't unrealistic, the Bears will take care of their own. They've spent a fair amount of money on extensions this off-season, coaching staff and front office included.

neko4
07-24-2007, 06:12 PM
Theyre not gonna be able to pay briggs if they spend money like this

bearsfan_51
07-24-2007, 06:13 PM
I think it is slightly humorous that Tillman was basically 2005's version of Fred Thomas, getting absolutely shredded by Steve Smith in the playoffs. He had a very good 2006, but to me the Bears overpaid.

Tillman had a bad game, Fred Thomas sucks, thus the difference. Steve Smith makes a lot of people look bad.

HoopsDemon12
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Haha, I thought the same thing.

yup i was surprised.. i was like what another playe.... oh wait.. he got paid

bearsfan_51
07-24-2007, 06:19 PM
By the way, this basically locks Danieal Manning to the FS spot for the longterm. He'll play as our dime-back (which almost never happens) in the short term but if he ever wants to be a starter for the Bears he's going to have to beat out Mike Brown or Adam Archuleta.

D-Unit
07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
The Bears overpayed? Are you kidding me? We locked up Tillman and Vasher for about the same price as the Niners paid for Nate Clements alone. I'm actually suprised we got him at this price. The guaranteed money is a bit much but it's less than what some guards are getting at today's market.

As has been previously noted, we locked up our 3 starting corner's for the next five years, that's a huge move.

It also shows that if you play hard and aren't unrealistic, the Bears will take care of their own. They've spent a fair amount of money on extensions this off-season, coaching staff and front office included.
I guess the key there is "at today's market". Cowboys signed Anthony Henry for 5YR, 25M and people were up in arms. 6YR, 41M for Tillman? I'm lovin' Henry's deal right now.

trkaline
07-24-2007, 08:15 PM
Man I wish the Bears played the Ravens more that would be a matchup..though the Ravens would win.

brat316
07-24-2007, 08:54 PM
they really are throwing that money around and rubbing it in wat his names face

bearsfan_51
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
I guess the key there is "at today's market". Cowboys signed Anthony Henry for 5YR, 25M and people were up in arms. 6YR, 41M for Tillman? I'm lovin' Henry's deal right now.

Anthony Henry sucked when the Cowboys signed him, he's improved quite a bit since then, and his value relative to that market to Tillman's value relative to this market isn't even close. Tillman is still leaps and bounds better than Henry.

D-Unit
07-24-2007, 09:38 PM
Anthony Henry sucked when the Cowboys signed him, he's improved quite a bit since then, and his value relative to that market to Tillman's value relative to this market isn't even close. Tillman is still leaps and bounds better than Henry.
Ummm...

When the Cowboys signed Henry, he just completed his 4th year. Tillman also just completed his 4th year. Let's compare Henry's stats after his 4th year to Tillman now.

Henry - 250 Tackles, 17 INTs, 49 Pass Def
Tillman - 303 Tackles, 14 INTs, 47 Pass Def

Now there are an infinite number of variables to consider, but based off tracked stats... it's hard for me to come to the conclusion that Henry sucked at the time he was signed. Being on the Browns certainly didn't help him gain attention, but he quietly had a nice career up to then.

bearfan
07-24-2007, 09:41 PM
Thank the lord we made this move. 3 CBs, Vasher, and Tillman both, and then R.Manning for a good nickleback. I've seen some of you guys rate Tillman in the top 10 of CBs, so good deal that we got getting Tillman, and Vasher around the same deal. Now all we gotta do is lock up Tommie Harris after next year, and our defense will be great for years

Borat
07-24-2007, 10:33 PM
The Bears overpayed? Are you kidding me? We locked up Tillman and Vasher for about the same price as the Niners paid for Nate Clements alone.

Not even close. Don't know where you're getting that from.

DaBears9654
07-24-2007, 11:12 PM
yeah I think this was expected...the Bears seem intent on locking up everyone except Briggs
Why is beyond me when he's by a considerable margin the team's best OLB. Hillenmeyer's decent but no Pro Bowler, B. Ayanbadejo isn't much more than a great special teamer, and everybody else is unproven (though the team is high on the rookie, Okwo).

As for the signing itself, great move! I love that the Bears have locked up both starting corners.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 01:48 AM
Not even close. Don't know where you're getting that from.
Clements is making roughly 10 million per year, Vasher-Tillman are making roughly 12 million per year. Obviously the signing bonus difference is going to be a bit much more, but that's where I got it from.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 01:50 AM
Ummm...

When the Cowboys signed Henry, he just completed his 4th year. Tillman also just completed his 4th year. Let's compare Henry's stats after his 4th year to Tillman now.

Now there are an infinite number of variables to consider, but based off tracked stats... it's hard for me to come to the conclusion that Henry sucked at the time he was signed. Being on the Browns certainly didn't help him gain attention, but he quietly had a nice career up to then.
Henry had like 5 of those picks in one game, he had one year where he had great stats and other than that was basically a total non-factor. I lived in Cleveland all four of those years, the stats dont' tell the story at all. Tillman is a #1 corner, Henry is a career #2, thus the difference. If anything we overpaid for Vasher.

ChiFan24
07-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Ummm...

You're using stats to compare CBs? Let's throw Terrance Newman in with his 239 tackles and 12 INTS...he must be worse than Tillman AND Henry!

And to the guy who thinks Tillman should be moved to safety, I'm glad you don't work for the Bears. Not a good idea by any means.

Smokey Joe
07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Yay! Another overpaid player!
blasphemy. Tillman is awesome and was one of the best corners in the league last year. He did shut down the great Colston last year.

Redskins4Bowl26
07-29-2007, 07:56 AM
I don't like the idea of signing cornerbacks to long term deals. I think every 3 or 4 years you can get a better one on the market. In my opinion you only lock up cornerbacks like Champ Bailey, Terrance Newman, and MAYBE a couple others.

remix 6
07-29-2007, 08:19 AM
I don't like the idea of signing cornerbacks to long term deals. I think every 3 or 4 years you can get a better one on the market. In my opinion you only lock up cornerbacks like Champ Bailey, Terrance Newman, and MAYBE a couple others.

and the chances of you landing the better 1? for how much cheaper? ..i'll tell u

chances: 1 out of every team that goes after him.

how much cheaper? not at all..try $2-3 mil more

why not lock up a very good player? if he knows your system and has proven to be borderline pro bowl without asking for $9-10 mill per year *cough Asante* , then go ahead, u lock up your good players..simple as that

dabears10
07-29-2007, 08:52 AM
and the chances of you landing the better 1? for how much cheaper? ..i'll tell u

chances: 1 out of every team that goes after him.

how much cheaper? not at all..try $2-3 mil more

why not lock up a very good player? if he knows your system and has proven to be borderline pro bowl without asking for $9-10 mill per year *cough Asante* , then go ahead, u lock up your good players..simple as that

Stop with your logic, sir. It makes too much sense.

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2007, 08:52 AM
I was like "Damn, he's locked up till 2013. Wonder what he did to deserve that".

God, D-Hall is going to be a pain.

remix 6
07-29-2007, 08:55 AM
I was like "Damn, he's locked up till 2013. Wonder what he did to deserve that".

God, D-Hall is going to be a pain.

one is underrated. the other is overrated

lets hope the cockier 1 doesnt try to be a D-Bag and hold out ...not a Falcons fan but some players need to get some sensed knocked into em

BamaFalcon59
07-29-2007, 09:02 AM
He might have been overrated last year but he is still a top 10 CB. If he returns to form this year then he will want big money soon, because his last year on the contract is 2009-2010 season. Add in the fact that he is only 23 going on 24 and he is going want a lot of doe.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 10:36 AM
He might have been overrated last year but he is still a top 10 CB. If he returns to form this year then he will want big money soon, because his last year on the contract is 2009-2010 season. Add in the fact that he is only 23 going on 24 and he is going want a lot of doe.
http://www.ridge-art.com/photographs/doe.jpg

remix 6
07-29-2007, 10:56 AM
hey! u leave CALDWELL OUT OF THIS!
http://newsnuggets.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/caldwell.jpg

Make the connection, deer eyes + Caldwell's = OMG

BlindSite
07-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Tillman is good, but nothing more. I think the Bears over paid, but maybe not for a guy who knows their playbook and their system. As a free agent he wouldn't be worth that much.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Tillman is good, but nothing more. I think the Bears over paid, but maybe not for a guy who knows their playbook and their system. As a free agent he wouldn't be worth that much.

Free agents almost always make more than when a player resigns with a year left on his contract if for no other reason than there are 32 teams vying for his services. Rest assured that if Clements could get 80 million in 2007 that Tillman could have gotten more than 41 million in 2008.

Btw, Vasher is much more of a system player than Tillman. I've said it before in this thread but I'll say it again, if we overpaid for anyone it's Vasher.

Borat
07-29-2007, 09:39 PM
Free agents almost always make more than when a player resigns with a year left on his contract if for no other reason than there are 32 teams vying for his services. Rest assured that if Clements could get 80 million in 2007 that Tillman could have gotten more than 41 million in 2008.

Btw, Vasher is much more of a system player than Tillman. I've said it before in this thread but I'll say it again, if we overpaid for anyone it's Vasher.

Clements didn't get $80 Million.