PDA

View Full Version : Steroid Use In Golf

trkaline
07-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I saw a report on Sports Center where some dude is talking about Steroid use in golf....its gettin rediculous who cares about that golf isn't about power, and to quote one of the analysts i forget which one "Golf is a skill, not a sport." that made me happy.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
It was Gary Player that said this stuff

Windy
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Gary Player is an idiot. He's just trying to start crap.

trkaline
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks i've been wondering I was kinda listening instead of watching, but really whats next? Steroids in a hot dog eating contest?

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Gary Player is an idiot. He's just trying to start crap.

Plus steriods really couldn't help someone in golf. They're not going to help you hit it straight or line up a putt

trkaline
07-24-2007, 07:20 PM
I mean golf is a valid sport due to the skill it takes to play..but it's not about power so what exactly does taking steroids do for you in golf?

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Plus steriods really couldn't help someone in golf. They're not going to help you hit it straight or line up a putt
I'd say steroids could certainly help you. No, they won't make you a great golfer if you have no skills, but it can't hurt anyone to add 20 yards on a drive.

Shiver
07-24-2007, 07:23 PM
I could say that steroids doesn't help a hitter in baseball with his hand-eye coordination, either.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I could say that steroids doesn't help a hitter in baseball with his hand-eye coordination, either.

It'll help you hit it further when you make contact. Plus, in baseball as long as you hit in between the lines that's great, but in golf you have to hit the ball in the fairway or on the green. You have to aviod the rough, bunkers, and water hazards

trkaline
07-24-2007, 07:26 PM
That is true too but I mean they got a lil kid hitting golf balls like a pro and your not gonna tell me he has the muscle mass of an adult he relies on his skills to carry the ball...

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 07:27 PM
It'll help you hit it further when you make contact. Plus, in baseball as long as you hit in between the lines that's great, but in golf you have to hit the ball in the fairway or on the green. You have to aviod the rough, bunkers, and water hazards
I think the key is... for the most part steroids alone won't make a great athlete in any sport, but they will make an athlete better.

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 07:30 PM
Exactly, steriods obviously can help golfers and give the edge to a golfer that uses it over one that doesn't. He could hit the ball further, with every hit.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:35 PM
How many of the far hitters in golf like Bubba Watson ever win a major????? Very few......Angel Cabrera won the US Open but thats an exception not the rule.

Paul
07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
I think most people have this misconception that steroids in a finesse sport is pointless, as in golf. But there are power elements in those games that make steroids tempting for a player who is on the brink of being great. Most of these pros can make a 15ft birdie putt, play with the wind,make it on the fairway and so forth, so if you add the element of steroid and it's effect, how wouldn't affect the game?

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 07:39 PM
That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. So what that power hitters don't suceed. It gives you an advantage, it's obvious that it helps you, just like in baseball it only helps you hit the ball harder. If Tiger juiced up and could drive the ball further than no doubt he'd be a better player, like if anyone did that.

neko4
07-24-2007, 07:40 PM
I'd say steroids could certainly help you. No, they won't make you a great golfer if you have no skills, but it can't hurt anyone to add 20 yards on a drive.

It cant hurt to take 20 centimeters off your shlong either, oh wait it can
or 20 years off your lifespan

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:41 PM
That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. So what that power hitters don't suceed. It gives you an advantage, it's obvious that it helps you, just like in baseball it only helps you hit the ball harder. If Tiger juiced up and could drive the ball further than no doubt he'd be a better player, like if anyone did that.

Obviously you have never played the game and don't get what I'm saying. The players that hit it the furthest now aren't the ones winning the tournaments and the top players in the world would not be the ones taking those steriods, it would be the ones that are trying to make a name for themselves.

neko4
07-24-2007, 07:42 PM
Everyone in golf can hit it 300 plus yards, its accuracy and putting that make the difference.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Everyone in golf can hit it 300 plus yards, its accuracy and putting that make the difference.

Thats right!

P-L
07-24-2007, 07:44 PM
In any sport steroids won't make a bad player good. They can however make a below average player competitive or a very good player great.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM
20 out of the top 21 golfers on the PGA Tour in driving distance have never won a major; the exception John Daly.

Paul
07-24-2007, 07:45 PM

No doubt about that. But what is your stance on a golfer being found to have taken steroid or some other illegal performance supplements? Would you not see him as cheater?

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
No doubt about that. But what is your stance on a golfer being found to have taken steroid or some other illegal performance supplements? Would you not see him as cheater?

They are definitely cheaters, there's no way around it, but nobody has been tested yet and Gary Player is the only one making these accusations

neko4

A good question no doubt, but what hes doing is more detrimental to his health than anything.

Tampa 2 4 life
Remember, Steroids also help in rehab, so it may not be helpful in the first round, but by Sunday if you're not sore that can be a huge boost.

Paul
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
They are definitely cheaters, there's no way around it, but nobody has been tested yet and Gary Player is the only one making these accusations

Yeah it was a hypothetical question, I forgot to put the word "if" in there. Purely accusations, if any. More like a theory.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 07:50 PM
Remember, Steroids also help in rehab, so it may not be helpful in the first round, but by Sunday if you're not sore that can be a huge boost.

Soreness does not come into affect for golfers on Sunday. The ones that fall apart do that b/c they can't handle it mentally, it has nothing to do with the physically part of the game

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow, your stubborn.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow, your stubborn.

I'm not stubborn, I just know what I'm talking about. I golf 2 or 3 times a week, I work in a Pro Shop, and watch golf weekly.

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:05 PM
You really don't get it, eh. The power won't make a golfer, noone in this thread as said that BUT the power can turn a good golfer into a very good golfer. What if a guy can put very well, and play the short game well but he just can't hit the ball over 270 yards. He takes steroids and he's amazing, hmm I wonder why.

neko4
07-24-2007, 08:06 PM
You really don't get it, eh. The power won't make a golfer, noone in this thread as said that BUT the power can turn a good golfer into a very good golfer. What if a guy can put very well, and play the short game well but he just can't hit the ball over 270 yards. He takes steroids and he's amazing, hmm I wonder why.

Just about every PGA golfer can hit well into the 300's, putting and how accurate the hits are the deciding factors in the pro's.

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Just about every PGA golfer can hit well into the 300's, putting and how accurate the hits are the deciding factors in the pro's.

Okay?

We aren't debating that. We are debating wheter or not taking steroids (so more power) can make you a better golfer. And power is just ONE element in golf just like it is in any other sport. I don't see how anyone can say that driving the ball further will not help you, and give you the edge...

neko4
07-24-2007, 08:11 PM
Okay?

We aren't debating that. We are debating wheter or not taking steroids (so more power) can make you a better golfer. And power is just ONE element in golf just like it is in any other sport. I don't see how anyone can say that driving the ball further will not help you, and give you the edge...

What do you mean we arent debating that, if every golfer can already hit into the 300's how will hitting further help if the hit is unaccurate. There's no reason to take steriods considering its the smallest element in golf

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:12 PM
Okay?

It can help you hit it further but if you can't control where the ball is going or you can't putt, what good is it to you????

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:13 PM
What do you mean we arent debating that, if every golfer can already hit into the 300's how will hitting further help if the hit is unaccurate. There's no reason to take steriods considering its the smallest element in golf

We are talking about generally in golf, not PGA golfers. Forget that there even is a PGA. Can driving further help you in golf? Yes or no?

trkaline
07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
This is a good debate right here.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:18 PM
We are talking about generally in golf, not PGA golfers. Forget that there even is a PGA. Can driving further help you in golf? Yes or no?

Yes, what is your point???? FYI, the club you use the most is the flat blade...AKA the putter.

Tampa 2 4 life
07-24-2007, 08:21 PM
I'll say it again, perhaps more clearly. If you don't have enough 300 yard drives in you to last through sunday, steroids will help you.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I'll say it again, perhaps more clearly. If you don't have enough 300 yard drives in you to last through sunday, steroids will help you.

Golf is not as much of a physical toll on people as it is mental. These players are at the driving range before and after each round, hitting 60-80 shots between then is not a problem for them.

neko4
07-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Yes, but can steriods help you putt? NO
Can they help you land one in the fairway? NO

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Okay thanks, you've both agreed with me that steroids can help you play golf.

neko4
07-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Okay thanks, you've both agreed with me that steroids can help you play golf.

Can they help you putt?

Eaglez.Fan
07-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Can they help you putt?

Oh my god........................

No they can't help you put but they can help you play golf, in one element which is actually important, not as important as putting of course. BUT THEY CAN STILL HELP YOU PLAY GOLF BETTER.

Jesus. I'm done in this stupid arguement.

It's just like you said, in baseball. Can steroids help you steal bases, or hit for average....

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:29 PM
are you people stupid? if i can already hit the ball straight at 250 yards, i will absolutely be a better golfer if i can do the same and suddenly hit it 400 yards. it's utterly mind boggling that anyone is so out of touch with reality that they would argue that.

did steroids help bonds become one of the best pure hitters in the history of baseball? no. did they help him break the single season home run record? it seems rather likely. does hand eye coordination come into play in baseball just as much, if not moreso than it does in golf? absolutely. so. take these terrible arguments and go apply them in the baseball thread and attempt to make the argument that steroids don't help baseball players.

or better yet, realize the "points" you're making are so utterly disgusting that most second graders wouldn't think they were logical and move on.

totally unwarranted........like I said before 20 out of the top 21 in driving distance on the pga tour have never won a major. You can hit it a mile but if you can not chip or putt you are S.O.L

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 08:32 PM
Can they help you putt?
People are not thinking at all. I personally am not a golfer. No, steroids will not put me into the PGA, however if you take a PGA golfer and put him on steroids...he will be better than before. (NO HIS PUTTING PROBABLY WON'T IMPROVE, but putting isn't the only part of the game)

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:36 PM
did you read a single bloody word i wrote? this is an utterly ridiculous response that indicates a complete lack of reading ability on your part. a question you have consistently ignored throughout this thread. answer it.

if a golfer drives at 200 yards, but hits straight and has a good short game, but he can take steroids and drive 400 yards with the rest of his game remaining the same will he not be a better golfer? you'd be an utter moron to say no. period. case closed. argument ended. steroids can make a good golfer who lacks power a great golfer. end of discussion.

I have made my statements and I will not disucss a situation with someone that continually calls me a moron or stupid. If you have an opinion leave it at that. Please don't attack members of this forum.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Paul Azinger and Nick Faldo said it during the broadcasts themselves that steriods CANNOT help you dramatically in the game of golf

Canadian_kid16
07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
I have never understood why golfers would need to use steriods...I mean I'm 155 pounds and i hit a 5 iron 220 yards a bit ago...hitting far is 90% form, 10% strength

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 08:40 PM
I have made my statements and I will not disucss a situation with someone that continually calls me a moron or stupid. If you have an opinion leave it at that. Please don't attack members of this forum.
Ok, I don't believe I've insulted anyone so far (at least I've tried not to). Answer my question: if a golfer drives at 200 yards, but hits straight and has a good short game, but he can take steroids and drive 400 yards with the rest of his game remaining the same will he not be a better golfer?

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Ok, I don't believe I've insulted anyone so far (at least I've tried not to). Answer my question: if a golfer drives at 200 yards, but hits straight and has a good short game, but he can take steroids and drive 400 yards with the rest of his game remaining the same will he not be a better golfer?

It would, but don't you think that if a player increases their driving distance by 100 yards over a short period of time that people would wonder about this person and I'm sure they would also notice a dramatic change in the person's physical makeup.

neko4
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM

He wasnt taalking about you, no one in the PGA is that bad of a golfer and if someone dramaticly went from 200 to 400, wouldnt his peers notice this especially if form and such stayed the same?

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
He wasnt taalking about you, no one in the PGA is that bad of a golfer and if someone dramaticly went from 200 to 400, wouldnt his peers notice this especially if form and such stayed the same?

I know the 200 yards difference was just an exaggeration to show that an increased drive would help a golfer. I think you guys are trying to say that steroids cannot MAKE a great golfer. This is absolutely true. The problem with steroids is simply that they would give the user an advantage that he wouldn't have without them.

princefielder28
07-24-2007, 08:49 PM
Notable Stats (Driving Distance):

Open Champion Padraig Harrington T63
Congressional Winner KJ Choi T141
Open contender year in and year out Chris DiMarco T147
Comeback player of the year Steve Stricker 155
MASTERS Champion Zach Johnson 164

badgerbacker
07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Notable Stats (Driving Distance):

Open Champion Padraig Harrington T63
Congressional Winner KJ Choi T141
Open contender year in and year out Chris DiMarco T147
Comeback player of the year Steve Stricker 155
MASTERS Champion Zach Johnson 164

I'm not trying to insult you, but you have to admit it is somewhat silly to say the length of a person's drive had no impact on their game. If this was true, why wouldn't people use 9 irons off the tee? A 9 iron is certainly more accurate than a driver.

Again...long drives don't MAKE A GOLFER. Increased drives can, however, increase somebody's overall game if they can still do everything else well.

Twiddler
07-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Steroids would definitely help in golf, no question about it. As an obsessive golfer and a thin guy, I think that using steroids would definitely help my game. I would drive farther and while the difference may only be 20 yards or so, it is enough to greatly affect how I play the game. Suddenly shots through thick rough are easier, holes are shorter, and follow through on off center shots are easier to correct. Sure, I believe that adverse effects such as roid rage would be terrible for your golf game but you cannot ignore the effects that would make golf easier with steroids. Now I would never use steroids and never have even considered it but I'm just expressing the possible outcome.

Now onto your stats showing the driving distance... It can be said that there are really only four players on tour that stand out in the PGA for driving distance(obviously the top four). They range from a 315-310 yard average and the fifth overall is 304. You talk about the top twenty also and the difference from the fifth overall player(where it gets realistic) and the 21st overall is about 7.5 yards. Its not that big of a range, honestly you have your standouts, and then beyond that most of the successful golfers are in the 300-290 range. Guys like Tiger, Adam Scott, Camilo, Lefty, Ernie, Davis Love, Stenson, Sergio, Vijay, Love, Mahan, Padraig, and Reteif. Sure, you showed guys who have won the last few majors and it makes it look like if you are deep in the driving category you can still be very successful, which is true, but not that often. Shorter players will win tournaments and always have but it can be seen that a majority of the really successfuly players are deep ball players. Say what you want, but steroids would help players win on tour.

tEk
07-24-2007, 10:12 PM
It'll help you hit it further when you make contact. Plus, in baseball as long as you hit in between the lines that's great, but in golf you have to hit the ball in the fairway or on the green. You have to aviod the rough, bunkers, and water hazardsplease if you can bomb the ball over 350yds in the air then you are passing up all of the hazards of a golf hole(plus these guys can already hit it straight, so adding some muscle to help them knock the **** out of the ball too isn't right.) if you can't hit it straight in the first place what the hell are you doing on the pga tour?

Smokey Joe
07-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Golf is a finesse game... you might hit the ball a few feet farther then some players, but when it is all said and done, the most skilled player will win.

tEk
07-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Golf is a finesse game... you might hit the ball a few feet farther then some players, but when it is all said and done, the most skilled player will win.
yes but when you are saying that players on the pga tour(the best golfers in the world) take a supplement to boost their strength, that they will not rise in the rankings... or if they are one of the best, dominate the game. i bet when all is said and done, tiger will write a tell all book and i suspect he was juicing(maybe not sterroids, but something) from late 1999 till 2002.

trkaline
07-24-2007, 11:47 PM
Dun dun dun and the plot thickens....

neko4
07-25-2007, 12:36 AM
yes but when you are saying that players on the pga tour(the best golfers in the world) take a supplement to boost their strength, that they will not rise in the rankings... or if they are one of the best, dominate the game. i bet when all is said and done, tiger will write a tell all book and i suspect he was juicing(maybe not sterroids, but something) from late 1999 till 2002.

The guy has great form, and technique, that counts way more than strength.

princefielder28
07-25-2007, 07:55 AM

When Tiger arrived at Stanford he was already stonger that the majority of the linemen on the football team. He works on his golf and he works out.....he never used performance enhancers and he is where he is today due to hard work and dedication.

Moses
07-25-2007, 08:22 AM
When Tiger arrived at Stanford he was already stonger that the majority of the linemen on the football team. He works on his golf and he works out.....he never used performance enhancers and he is where he is today due to hard work and dedication.

But if Tiger could gain another 20 yards on his drive by using steroids would that not help his game?

Look at baseball. All of those guys can hit it out the park. All of them work out and are good athletes. However, steroids brings them to the next level. Instead of hitting it 10 feet shy of the fence, the exact same swing is flying 30 feet over the fence for a homer.

In golf, instead of driving it 300 yards and landing 10 yards short of the green, they could drill it 310 yards and have just a putt to hole it.

trkaline
07-25-2007, 11:13 AM
This discussion is back in the sand trap....

tEk
07-25-2007, 01:59 PM
This discussion is back in the sand trap....what everyone is failing to realize is that if someone that is already very accurate and a great putter but can only drive the ball on average 280yds. (this is fred funk) then you give fred steroids and add 20 yards to each club. this will dramatically shorten the course for fred and make it easier. i can't believe all of you fail to realize that the people on the pga tour are all amazing golfers. to say that if they were able to get an extra 20yds or more from taking a little pill, or shooting up is not a possibility is just asinine. tiger woods may have been strong al throughout his career but during the end of 1999 through maybe mid 2001 he was averaging over 10 yds per drive than in 2003 with a longer driver.