PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 looking to add a new team???

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 12:49 AM
Corso mentioned this on the first episode of College Football Live, as an intriguing story line for the year. This way they would have 12 teams and a championship game. Corso mentioned Mizzou being a possibility. I was wondering if anyone else had knowledge of this or just everyones opinions/speculation.

I hope Mizzou doesnt move, i go there and enjoy watching Big12 teams not a fan of the Big10 teams, but i guess it would be fun playing tOSU and Michigan instead of Oklahoma and Nebraska

Sniper
07-25-2007, 01:02 AM
Corso mentioned this on the first episode of College Football Live, as an intriguing story line for the year. This way they would have 12 teams and a championship game. Corso mentioned Mizzou being a possibility. I was wondering if anyone else had knowledge of this or just everyones opinions/speculation.

I hope Mizzou doesnt move, i go there and enjoy watching Big12 teams not a fan of the Big10 teams, but i guess it would be fun playing tOSU and Michigan instead of Oklahoma and Nebraska

Wouldn't mind Mizzou or pretty much any half decent team for the Big 10. We need a title game to play later on in the year. Obviously ND is too high and mighty to even think of GASP! joining a conference which is too bad because they'd be a nice addition to the league. But we need another team.

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 01:15 AM
ND would make perfect sense, i forgot about them, i usually try to do that on purpose though

OhioState
07-25-2007, 09:24 AM
i would like to see ND in the confrence, then we could own them every year.

Smokey Joe
07-25-2007, 09:32 AM
ND would be great to have in the conference, to bad they'd never join it.

dabears10
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
Yeah, it would be excellent in the big ten we already play like 5 teams a year.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-25-2007, 02:21 PM
i would like to see ND in the confrence, then we could own them every year.

I would love to watch it every year as well.

ND is a joke. They will keep scheduling there cupcakes and continue to lose bowl games.

Sniper
07-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I would love to watch it every year as well.

ND is a joke. They will keep scheduling there cupcakes and continue to lose bowl games.

Cupcakes? Pfffffffffffffft the ACC powerhouse Duke Blue Devils say hello ;)

Turtlepower
07-25-2007, 02:27 PM
There is no way that ND would join the Big 11 even though it makes the most sense. The problem with ND is that in every other collegiate sport besides football, they are in the Big East.

In my opinion, incorporate a school that has been successful in a smaller conference and hope that they will grow into a competitor.

etk
07-25-2007, 02:40 PM
Shouldn't ND join the Big East if they move to a conference. They're a Big East basketball school.

TheMikey10
07-25-2007, 03:14 PM
What about West Virginia?

VY10
07-25-2007, 08:33 PM
I hope Mizzou goes to the big 10. The big 12 then could pick up TCU or Houston who would probably be likely candidates.

Utah and BYU should be let into the Pac-10 so that they would have a championship game too.

neko4
07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Western or Central Michigan?
Theyve both done alrite
Ohio?

etk
07-25-2007, 08:44 PM
I hope Mizzou goes to the big 10. The big 12 then could pick up TCU or Houston who would probably be likely candidates.

Utah and BYU should be let into the Pac-10 so that they would have a championship game too.

We might as well rename the Big 12 the Texas 12 if that happens, lol. That wouldn't be a bad domino effect: Mizzou move to Big 10-Ship. More Texas schools for Big 12-intense rivalry. New powers would form in the mid-majors. I'm not so sure about the Pac-10 idea, as Utah has to prove to be more consistent to move up, especially since Meyer left. Maybe Boise St. will go to the Pac-10 eventually, they have the talent and they're not too far from the Pacific.

etk
07-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Western or Central Michigan?
Theyve both done alrite
Ohio?

Central Michigan is pretty good, Western Michigan might struggle if their new QB, Hiller, doesn't perform. They kept pace with Cincinatti in their bowl game so they can fight with the bottom-dwellers for sure.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 08:48 PM
I actually think they should get rid of Penn State and go back to having 10, but I know that won't happen. In lue of that I wouldn't mind adding Missouri or Iowa State. Other possibilities could be West Virginia, Louisville, Cincinnatti, or any MAC team.

GB12
07-25-2007, 09:06 PM
I'm against adding another team. I can't think of another school that has that Big Ten feeling. Notre Dame would be the best fit, but that won't happen. Adding a Big East team does not sit well with me at all. Plus you have to remember that it affects other sports as well. Western Michigan and Ohio? Ha, you must be joking. With out the possibility of ND my choice would be Nebraska, although they might not want to. Keep it the way it is. I do like the idea of kicking out Penn State though

VY10
07-25-2007, 09:07 PM
We might as well rename the Big 12 the Texas 12 if that happens, lol. That wouldn't be a bad domino effect: Mizzou move to Big 10-Ship. More Texas schools for Big 12-intense rivalry. New powers would form in the mid-majors. I'm not so sure about the Pac-10 idea, as Utah has to prove to be more consistent to move up, especially since Meyer left. Maybe Boise St. will go to the Pac-10 eventually, they have the talent and they're not too far from the Pacific.

The Texas conference would be a modified SWC and would be rather weak unless TCU, Tech, and Houston could step it up.

Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, SMU, Texas Tech, Baylor, Houston, Rice, UTEP, North Texas.

Ya I can probably see Boise State and BYU joining the Pac-10 more than Utah. Utah has been relatively decent since Urban Meyer. Hawaii also comes to mind.

What would be the best though would be the SWC if they took some of the Big Eight teams instead of the other way around. Of course when SMU got the death penalty it killed this dream.

Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Rice, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas State

If SMU was still good, Arkansas, SMU, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Oklahoma, and Nebraska would all be really solid teams. K-State has its moments as does Tech and Houston. Only Baylor and Rice would really be the pushovers.

etk
07-25-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm against adding another team. I can't think of another school that has that Big Ten feeling. Notre Dame would be the best fit, but that won't happen. Adding a Big East team does not sit well with me at all. Plus you have to remember that it affects other sports as well. Western Michigan and Ohio? Ha, you must be joking. With out the possibility of ND my choice would be Nebraska, although they might not want to. Keep it the way it is. I do like the idea of kicking out Penn State though

Yeah, I was thinking about the other sports factor too. I can't imagine seeing a Big East basketball team like Louisville, Cincy or WVU in the Big Ten. It would seem so awkward.

keylime_5
07-25-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd rather the Big Ten drop a team than add one. Putting a championship game in there would ruin it and totally destroy the OSU/UM game's relevance and importance. That game is pretty much the Big Ten championship game as it is every year.

DeathbyStat
07-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Add Notre Dame

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 10:39 PM

That would make sense for TCU to move into the Big 12. And for it ruining the Michigan vs Ohio st game they could be in the different sections, so then they would actually be playing for the championship most years

Shane P. Hallam
07-25-2007, 11:05 PM
It would be pretty awesome. Notre Dame would make sense as they have some Big Ten rivalries, but they'd never do it. Missouri would be very cool. I know there was talk we could reach out to Boise, but it may be too far distance wise. I think that we should go after Pitt to rekindle their rivalry with PSU, or WVU to bring a supreme team to a supreme conference.

sodar21
07-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't think Missouri has the academics to qualify for the Big Ten.

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 11:12 PM
They shouldnt be much different from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, or Michigan St

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:14 PM
Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota all have very good academics. You know not which you speak.

That actually is a good point though, every school in the Big Ten is either very strong at research or undergraduate (or both). The weakest (Michigan State and Ohio State) are still much much higher than a school like Missouri or West Virginia. That's another reason why Notre Dame would be the best possible fit.

Shane P. Hallam
07-25-2007, 11:19 PM
But that would require ND to lose money, so they won't do it. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but despite their recent poopyness, Pitt could fit in nicely. I doubt they'd do it though because they would have to separate from WVU.

Hmmm, Boise probably doesn't match up off the field or geographically, but still...

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 11:20 PM
I wasnt saying they didnt have good academics, but similar. But i do know that Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa have very similar requirements for incoming students. I got accepted to all of the above and im nothing special. Thats what i was basing that off of

Sniper
07-25-2007, 11:22 PM
But that would require ND to lose money, so they won't do it. Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but despite their recent poopyness, Pitt could fit in nicely. I doubt they'd do it though because they would have to separate from WVU.

Hmmm, Boise probably doesn't match up off the field or geographically, but still...

Pitt could still play WVU in an OOC game though. It's a rivalry come on. Then again, their schedule would be something like Michigan, Ohio State, PSU, WVU, Wisconsin...Ouch.

steelernation77
07-25-2007, 11:24 PM
I wasnt saying they didnt have good academics, but similar. But i do know that Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa have very similar requirements for incoming students. I got accepted to all of the above and im nothing special

Iowa will take in pretty much anyone out of state because the state is starved for young professionals and wants all of the extra tuition money it can get.

bearsfan_51
07-25-2007, 11:25 PM
I wasnt saying they didnt have good academics, but similar. But i do know that Missouri, Illinois, Minnesota, and Iowa have very similar requirements for incoming students. I got accepted to all of the above and im nothing special

Haha..nice to see you show some confidence. I don't know about acceptance rates, but all four are very large public universities (especially Minnesota) so obviously they aren't going to be on the level of a Northwestern. I do know that in terms of research Minnesota is a top 20 school, and Illinois and Iowa are top 30.

Michigan State and Missouri are around 50th, and Michigan State is easily the weakest school academically in the Big Ten.

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
Haha..nice to see you show some confidence. I don't know about acceptance rates, but all four are very large public universities (especially Minnesota) so obviously they aren't going to be on the level of a Northwestern. I do know that in terms of research Minnesota is a top 20 school, and Illinois and Iowa are top 30.

Michigan State and Missouri are around 50th, and Michigan State is easily the weakest school academically in the Big Ten.

Only thing i can brag about is Mizzou's Journalism school is top notch, and the education program is one best in the midwest

neko4
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Western Kentucky just became I-A and are ind. right now, so Cen Mich could move to big 10, while west kentucky becomes a MAC school

Shane P. Hallam
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Are there any possible teams we are missing? What about Rutgers? Gets the NY/NJ market into the Big Ten...

neko4
07-25-2007, 11:53 PM
Are there any possible teams we are missing? What about Rutgers? Gets the NY/NJ market into the Big Ten...

too far from the main area IMO
Northern Illinois?
They might be in for a rough patch replacing Wolfe and OT Free

Shane P. Hallam
07-26-2007, 12:02 AM
I think the Big Ten would stand pat rather than take another team from a non-power conference and watch them end up like Northwestern, maybe have one good year, but be bottom of the barrel.

neko4
07-26-2007, 12:14 AM
what about iowa state?

DaBears9654
07-26-2007, 11:41 AM
The Texas conference would be a modified SWC and would be rather weak unless TCU, Tech, and Houston could step it up.
A Texas Conference is a feasible -- though unlikely -- idea. Texas has 10 1-A (Bowl Division, whatever you want to call it) colleges:

UT
A & M
Tech
Baylor
TCU
Houston
Rice
UTEP
North Texas
Southern Methodist

I had to look it up to figure out what most teams are.

iowatreat54
07-26-2007, 12:03 PM
just a few ideas:

Iowa State would make sense even though they suck at everything except wrestling

Kentucky? not very likely but geographically makes sense

Nebraska- this is my favorite, not very likely to leave Big 12, but would provide a huge football presence in Big 10 and would create a HUGE rivalry with Iowa, one because of geography and our schools are pretty similar in the fact that our football teams our the states' only "pro" athletic attractions

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Never gonna happen. The NYC metro area is just getting into College Football big because of RU. Taking them out of the Big East which they ahve been in forever and moving them to the Big 10 would lose the interest of the people here in the area. Big East basketball is too important to them.

Geographically and for rivalry reasons, Iowa St. probably makes the most sense. Not sure how that school is academically. The Big 12 could then pull a number of teams to join the Big 12 as a replacement. TCU anyone?

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Never gonna happen. The NYC metro area is just getting into College Football big because of RU. Taking them out of the Big East which they ahve been in forever and moving them to the Big 10 would lose the interest of the people here in the area. Big East basketball is too important to them.

I think Rutgers is staying put but it would create a new rivalry between Penn State and Rutgers.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
what about iowa state?

Iowa State isn't a bad idea

Jughead10
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
I think Rutgers is staying put but it would create a new rivalry between Penn State and Rutgers.

It's not needed. As you know it looks like they are trying to build one with Notre Dame.

iowatreat54
07-26-2007, 12:22 PM
not to mention that the Big 10 is and has always traditionally been a midwest conference...so there's prolly a less than 1% chance of it adding an eastern/western team that isn't even remotely close to the others...I mean look at when they added PSU, which is considered an "eastern" team, a lot of fans and schools went apeshit because they didn't really want to add them

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
It's not needed. As you know it looks like they are trying to build one with Notre Dame.

Yes you are very right with Notre Dame getting most of the home games. Apparently ND is trying to set up a game in Florida as well to start recruiting there.

Basileus777
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM

Geographically and for rivalry reasons, Iowa St. probably makes the most sense. Not sure how that school is academically. The Big 12 could then pull a number of teams to join the Big 12 as a replacement. TCU anyone?

The creation of the Big Ten Network means that that the Big 10 will probably need to look at adding a 12th team which can deliver a large television market. Rutgers would be appealing in that sense.

If the Big 10 was interested there is no way in hell Rutgers wouldn't leap at the chance to join regardless of geography. The additional 10-12 million a year more RU could make in the Big Ten would guarantee it. The Big Ten is the best combination of academics and athletics there is. If you are a major research institution, you want to be associated with Michigan, Northwestern, and Wisconsin, etc. - not South Florida, WVU, etc. Let's be honest here. And The number of Michigan, Penn State, and ND fans in the area leads me to believe that joining the Big 10 would not cause people to lose interest in RU.

VY10
07-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Rutgers won't be invited to the Big 10. They can't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on a regular basis. They came in 3rd in their conference out of essentially 3 legit teams this year. I'm not saying they arent somewhat good now, but they will return to their old ways soon enough. They just can't compete in recruiting with any of the "Big" Big 10 schools because they aren't in a football rich area and don't have strong pull nationally.

Even the sound of it "Ohio State vs. Rutgers" sounds like a route to me.

Jonny
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
If the Big 10 was interested there is no way in hell Rutgers wouldn't leap at the chance to join regardless of geography.

That's ridiculous. Rutgers isn't going anywhere.

can't compete with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin on a regular basis. They came in 3rd in their conference out of essentially 3 legit teams this year. I'm not saying they arent somewhat good now, but they will return to their old ways soon enough. They just can't compete in recruiting with any of the "Big" Big 10 schools because they aren't in a football rich area and don't have strong pull nationally.

It's Ohio State and Michigan and then everyone else. Not like the Wisconsins of the world get it done with elite recruiting. They develop players, just like Rutgers.

Why will Rutgers regress when the team just had its best recruiting year ever? NJ is a very football rich area, much better than Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

Rutgers will have strong pull nationally. It's a media darling with the New York market on its side. And it's going to happen in the Big East.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 06:38 PM
That's ridiculous. Rutgers isn't going anywhere.

It's Ohio State and Michigan and then everyone else. Not like the Wisconsins of the world get it done with elite recruiting. They develop players, just like Rutgers.

Why will Rutgers regress when the team just had its best recruiting year ever? NJ is a very football rich area, much better than Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, or Wisconsin.

Rutgers will have strong pull nationally. It's a media darling with the New York market on its side. And it's going to happen in the Big East.
Haha...Rutgers has a year and a half of decent football and you're putting them on par with Penn State and Wisconsin? Give me a break. Way to almost win the Big East. You're almost as prestigious a program as South Florida. Here's a cookie.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 06:40 PM
not to mention that the Big 10 is and has always traditionally been a midwest conference...so there's prolly a less than 1% chance of it adding an eastern/western team that isn't even remotely close to the others...I mean look at when they added PSU, which is considered an "eastern" team, a lot of fans and schools went apeshit because they didn't really want to add them
*Raises hand*

That's why I think if they are serious about it, and Notre Dame opts out, it should be Louisville, Cincinnatti, Iowa State, Pittsburgh, or Missouri. Obviously Cincinnatti sucks at football but they've got the history to at least compete in basketball. There are some potential MAC programs but the problem is that most of them are in Ohio and Michigan and those states are owned by the big two.

Jonny
07-26-2007, 06:52 PM
Penn State recently won only 3 games. My point was solely that neither is on the level of an Ohio State or Michigan. Not even close.

Have you ever even seen South Florida play? They're the 2nd best team in Florida and a sure-fire top 25 team. They're really good.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Penn State recently won only 3 games. My point was solely that neither is on the level of an Ohio State or Michigan. Not even close.

Have you ever even seen South Florida play? They're the 2nd best team in Florida and a sure-fire top 25 team. They're really good.
There is a difference between being good for a year or two and being a good program. Do you mean to tell me that you think South Florida is the 2nd best program in the state, or as of this year the 2nd best, there is a huge difference.

I understood your point, but that's like saying neither five dollars or a thousand dollars is a million dollars so they must be the same. Just because Penn State and Wisconsin aren't the programs that Ohio State and Michigan are doesn't mean Rutgers even belongs in the same sentence as them. Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.

iowatreat54
07-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I'm going to go with at least FSU or Miami will be better than USF this year, but USF is a good team...I think Iowa St. or Pitt are obviously the best choices

iowatreat54
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
There is a difference between being good for a year or two and being a good program. Do you mean to tell me that you think South Florida is the 2nd best program in the state, or as of this year the 2nd best, there is a huge difference.

I understood your point, but that's like saying neither five dollars or a thousand dollars is a million dollars so they must be the same. Just because Penn State and Wisconsin aren't the programs that Ohio State and Michigan are doesn't mean Rutgers even belongs in the same sentence as them. Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.

whoa now...let's not get over our head here...Minny competing for 3rd or 4th? this is still the football thread right? not hockey?

Basileus777
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Put Rutgers in the Big Ten and they are at best battling with Minnesota, Purdue, and Michigan State as the teams that sometimes sneak into 3rd or 4th.

So will Missouri, Pitt, Iowa State, Louisville or any other potential Big 10 member other than ND.

Sniper
07-26-2007, 07:00 PM

USF is not the second best team in Florida on a year by year basis. Some people get too caught up in what a team does for one season. Rutgers hasn't done **** to deserve being in the Big 10. As of right now they'd be scrapping for 5th place.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 07:01 PM
whoa now...let's not get over our head here...Minny competing for 3rd or 4th? this is still the football thread right? not hockey?
Minnesota has been a solid team over the last ten years. Nothing spectacular but they've generally been anywhere from 4th-6th and made a bowl game. They've been more successful than Michigan State, the other team I mentioned.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 07:02 PM
So will Missouri, Pitt, Iowa State, Louisville or any other potential Big 10 member other than ND.
Louisville has the facilities, fan base, coaches, and money to compete in the Big Ten in both football and basketball.

iowatreat54
07-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Minnesota has been a solid team over the last ten years. Nothing spectacular but they've generally been anywhere from 4th-6th and made a bowl game. They've been more successful than Michigan State, the other team I mentioned.

haha I'm just giving you a hard time...MSU blows, they are especially good in 2nd halves of seasons...

I just can't see the Big 10 adding a team so far east/west as Rutgers, it just doesn't make sense to me when they can add a comparable team from the midwest (excluding Pitt because of PSU))

PeterWarrick9
07-26-2007, 08:16 PM
For those who say CMU. I would have a seizure from excitement if the Chippewas made it to the Big 10.

Now their chances of making it. CMU hasn't been that good football wise. They have been average at best in the MAC. They haven't had a serious program since Brian Kelly came (and then left for Cinci). Mt. Pleasant isn't that great of a Sports College and not that appealing to recruits. I do gotta say they are tremendously growing academically. They arebuilding some beautiful new buildings and there were talks of making a medical school.

They have been continually been killed by Michigan. They have lost to Indiana a couple of times and Mich. St.

So academically rising, but I just can't see them joining the likes of the Big 10.

Sorry for the long post, I was too excited reading about my Chippewas on an actual website.

GoinDeepWithCJ
07-26-2007, 08:24 PM
This is from another board.

notre dame
pro: major league cash cow, instant hit across the country.
con: why would notre dame give up its nbc contract?

syracuse
pro: major tv market (ny) and good if not great sports tradition.
con: unlikely to leave big east unless big bucks are thrown its way.

louisville
pro: geography and basketball tradition.
con: weak tv market and pitino jumped through hoops (no pun intended) to get the school into the big east. he wouldn't want to flip.

rutgers
pro: major tv market (ny/nj).
con: very weak sports tradition.

pittsburgh
pro: solidifies an entire state with a large population base as a big 10 footprint; good geography; decent if not strong sports tradition; decent sized tv market. pitt people would jump at this i believe because they desperately want to play penn state each year in football but paterno won't agree. by joining big 10, it forces paterno's hand. also, football attendance would skyrocket for pitt.
con: i can't think of too many cons aside from would pitt want to leave the big east? my guess is, yes. in my eyes, this is the best practical move for the big 10 if they can't lure notre dame (very doubtful) or syracuse (50/50 at best).

missouri
pro: solidifies a decent-sized tv market as big 10 country (st. louis) and brings in a medium-sized tv market (kansas city). geography is good.
con: at the risk of starting a flamewar, why would the big 10 want a weak sports program like missouri?

(when is the last time missouri played in a new years day bowl game? when is the last time a missouri team played in a final four? when is the last time missouri got to the college worlds series?)

iowa state
pro: geography; rabid, loyal fan base.
con: lousy tv market; lousy athletic department.

cincinnati
pro: locks up ohio as a big 10 footprint (as if it's not already); medium sized tv market. decent basketball tradition.
con: ncaa problems with hoops program; terrible football facilities.

kentucky
pro: rabid hoops fanbase; geography.
con: not a good tv market; no football tradition (unless you count bear bryant in the early 50s); too much sec tradition.

DARKHORSE
south florida
pro: this is not so far-fetched from a money standpoint. look at what bringing in florida state did for the acc. top 10 tv market that continues to grow; enables big 10 network to move into florida; gives big 10 a toehold in nation's soon-to-be third largest state with a population base that continues to mushroom; rising football power; gives big 10 schools ability to mine the state for its football-rich talent and underrated basketball recruits. travel is only two hours from midwest/northeast (no worse than flying from minnesota or chicago to penn state).
con: miserable basketball program beyond words; no sports tradition to speak of.

GB12
07-26-2007, 08:33 PM
For those who say CMU. I would have a seizure from excitement if the Chippewas made it to the Big 10.

Now their chances of making it. CMU hasn't been that good football wise. They have been average at best in the MAC. They haven't had a serious program since Brian Kelly came (and then left for Cinci). Mt. Pleasant isn't that great of a Sports College and not that appealing to recruits. I do gotta say they are tremendously growing academically. They arebuilding some beautiful new buildings and there were talks of making a medical school.

They have been continually been killed by Michigan. They have lost to Indiana a couple of times and Mich. St.

So academically rising, but I just can't see them joining the likes of the Big 10.

Sorry for the long post, I was too excited reading about my Chippewas on an actual website.

There is no way that Central Michigan would join the Big Ten. There football program, while good recently, does not stack up against Big Ten competition. They've won one MAC Championship (last year) in the past 15 years. It's not just football either. Their basketball program is basically non-existant.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
There is no way that Central Michigan would join the Big Ten. There football program, while good recently, does not stack up against Big Ten competition. They've won one MAC Championship (last year) in the past 15 years. It's not just football either. Their basketball program is basically non-existant.

Football only has Dan LeFevour and the only legit hoops player to come out of there is Chris Kaman and he's hideous.

PeterWarrick9
07-26-2007, 08:37 PM

I am Central Michigan's #1 fan, but their team is a joke. Their two biggest games in their history is last year Motor City Bowl win over Mid. Tenn and winning the Div 2 National Championship over Delaware back in 1974. Tell me how that compares to Northwestern's Rose Bowls or Michigan's history of being the winningest team in College Football.

Now basketball, is even a bigger joke. They had Chris Kaman on their team a couple of years ago and that is it. The rest are a bunch of nobodys.

Cincinnati has put some money towards their facilities and they are getting an excellent coach coming in.

VY10
07-26-2007, 09:53 PM

Haha New Jersey a very rich football area Still they have some talent, it's a shame Rutgers won't be able to keep all of them there.

I'm sure all the kids down south and in California and Fla. would rather go to Rutgers because "it's a media darling" instead of getting to go to USC or Miami or any half decent football school...haha ya right.

Sorry if I put Wisconsin up there, they have been going to bowl games regularly since the 90s, something Rutgers fans obviously would know nothing about. Still Wisconsin managed to develop a starting offensive line that is bigger than the average NFL line. They grow 'em big in Wisconsin. And if you don't think Penn State belongs up there you are crazy. They have had one of the greatest coaches of all time and are a very storied program.....another thing Rutgers knows nothing about.

Rutgers has no pull nationally. When your team has been to what? 2 bowl games in the schools entire history. Heck, going to 2 bowl games in a decade is pretty bad. Face it this Rutgers phenom is a couple of year deal. They soon will return to the depths of the league where they belong.

VY10
07-26-2007, 10:02 PM

You trying to say Penn State recently had a 3 win season is the same as saying Rutgers had a winning season. It doesn't happen that often. And to match your argument Rutgers recently went 1-11. Ya they won one game. Does that put them on the level of Big time college football with national pull? Not even close.

andyjo672
07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
Illinois, Iowa, and Minnesota all have very good academics. You know not which you speak.

That actually is a good point though, every school in the Big Ten is either very strong at research or undergraduate (or both). The weakest (Michigan State and Ohio State) are still much much higher than a school like Missouri or West Virginia. That's another reason why Notre Dame would be the best possible fit.

Minnesota's academics have actually been ranked the lowest of all the Big Ten schools the past few years, yes lower than MSU and OSU. Illinois's academics are actually probably in the top half.

Rankings would be:
Northwestern
Michigan
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Penn State
Ohio State
Iowa
MSU
Minnesota

Sorry to burst your bubble man. I'm actually from the Minnesota area, never wanted to to to the U because the academics were generally regarded as poor outside of the state of Minnesota. Went to Wisconsin, had a great time, learned a lot.

neko4
07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I am Central Michigan's #1 fan, but their team is a joke. Their two biggest games in their history is last year Motor City Bowl win over Mid. Tenn and winning the Div 2 National Championship over Delaware back in 1974. Tell me how that compares to Northwestern's Rose Bowls or Michigan's history of being the winningest team in College Football.

Now basketball, is even a bigger joke. They had Chris Kaman on their team a couple of years ago and that is it. The rest are a bunch of nobodys.

Cincinnati has put some money towards their facilities and they are getting an excellent coach coming in.

Theyre an up and coming team?

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Minnesota's academics have actually been ranked the lowest of all the Big Ten schools the past few years, yes lower than MSU and OSU. Illinois's academics are actually probably in the top half.

Rankings would be:
Northwestern
Michigan
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Penn State
Ohio State
Iowa
MSU
Minnesota

Sorry to burst your bubble man. I'm actually from the Minnesota area, never wanted to to to the U because the academics were generally regarded as poor outside of the state of Minnesota. Went to Wisconsin, had a great time, learned a lot.
I'm getting my PhD at Minnesota, I'm talking about combining research and undergraduate academics (which I said in my original post). Either way, even going off of just undergraduate rankings your list is still wrong. But based on research Minnesota is second to only Michigan. I do this stuff for a living, I know what I'm talking about.

VY10
07-26-2007, 10:15 PM

Rankings would be:
Northwestern
Michigan
Wisconsin
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Penn State
Ohio State
Iowa
MSU
Minnesota

Where do your rankings come from?

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 10:20 PM
Ranking as a research university:
1)Michigan
2)Minnesota
3)Wisconsin
4)Illinois
5)Northwestern
6)Ohio State
7)Penn State
8)Purdue
9)Michigan State
10)Iowa
11)Indiana

Undergraduate Rankings
1)Northwestern
2)Michigan
3)Wisconsin
4)Illinois
5)Penn State
6)Ohio State
7)Purdue
8)Iowa
9)Minnesota
10)Indiana
11)Michigan State

jj45
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Niu should go the big ten

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Btw, if you were to throw Missouri in there (as was the original argument) it would be last in both graduate and undergraduate work. The Big Ten is a very good conference academically, top to bottom probably the best of the BCS. I'm suprised Indiana is last myself, especially below Michigan State, but that says a lot for how quality all of those schools are.

jbeans187
07-27-2007, 12:03 AM

What? South Florida had a good year, but 2nd best in Florida? Please, we will see this year

Jonny
07-27-2007, 12:08 AM

Rutgers has much better recruiting bases than those teams. It's had much more success lately. History is irrelevant here.

I'm sure all the kids down south and in California and Fla. would rather go to Rutgers because "it's a media darling" instead of getting to go to USC or Miami or any half decent football school...haha ya right.

Actually, yes, the Florida kids do want to go to Rutgers if they can't get an offer from the Big 3. Look at the recruits Rutgers has pulled in. They can beat anyone besides the Big 3 for a Florida kid. And Rutgers has pulled in the occasional player out of California. Ito had offers from Missouri, Texas A&M, Minnesota, and South Carolina. That's coming off a losing season. Things are going to explode now.

Rutgers has no pull nationally. When your team has been to what? 2 bowl games in the schools entire history. Heck, going to 2 bowl games in a decade is pretty bad. Face it this Rutgers phenom is a couple of year deal. They soon will return to the depths of the league where they belong.

Rutgers draws by far the highest college football ratings of any team in NYC, a market ESPN/ABC desperately want to open up. The team was a major draw on ESPN last year and should be again.

Ask Army how having great football tradition is treating them. Fact is, until the eighties, Rutgers was a I-AA school in football. It regularly turned down bowl bids, and there weren't that many bowls to go around until recently. It wasn't terrible, just mediocre. It was only terrible for a few years under Terry Shea, before Schiano could rebuild the team.

Rutgers isn't going away. It just had its best recruiting year ever, pulling in Anthony Davis and Manny Abreu. They're going to fall to the bottom of the Big East? That's funny, who are they going to lose to, Syracuse? The sleeping giant has finally woken up.

No ones said they'd dominate the Big Ten, but their ball-control oriented philosophy with a top OL, Ray Rice, and an attacking defense fits the conference's stereotype to a tee.

GB12
07-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Rutgers has much better recruiting bases than those teams. It's had much more success lately. History is irrelevant here.

Alright, you want to talk about recent success? Over the past 5 years Rutgers has a record of 28-31. That's while playing in the Big East, how are they supposed to succeed in the Big Ten?

jbeans187
07-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Everyones thought??? Talks about the Big 10 network, and how Iowa's coach isnt a fan of the conference championship game
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2950700

Sniper
07-27-2007, 01:19 AM
Everyones thought??? Talks about the Big 10 network, and how Iowa's coach isnt a fan of the conference championship game

Well since he's God reincarnated (according to all Iowa fans and ESPN) I suppose the Big 10 shouldn't do it then ;)

Sniper
07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Alright, you want to talk about recent success? Over the past 5 years Rutgers has a record of 28-31. That's while playing in the Big East, how are they supposed to succeed in the Big Ten?

Once again, this is a classic example of people going by last year's results and not looking at the big picture. Rutgers would die in the Big 10.

neko4
07-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Once again, this is a classic example of people going by last year's results and not looking at the big picture. Rutgers would die in the Big 10.

Seriously, Im rooting for Rutgers, but who did they sign tht was big recently?

Jughead10
07-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Seriously, Im rooting for Rutgers, but who did they sign tht was big recently?

It will take a while but they are trying to keep the local kids. Anthony Davis turned down Ohio St to stay in NJ and go to Rutgers. That was a big step. In the past guys like Dwayne Jarrett and Malcolm Jenkins turned down staying home to go play for a bigger program. And someone mentioned earlier about Rutgers pulling Florida kids. That is absolutely right. Rutgers has been winning the last two years with kids that Miami turned down. Schiano just took these kids and coached them better than Coker's crew did at Miami. The only problem I can see with continuing to bring in the big NJ guys is Notre Dame. Coach Weis is going to continue to try and grab all the big NJ guys he can who have the academics to go to ND. Which is why ND signed a 5 year contract to play Rutgers starting in 2008. When in NJ all those games will be played in Giants Stadium and Weis hopes to destroy them and win over the recruiting in NJ.

Scar
07-27-2007, 10:46 AM
I think the Big Ten would stand pat rather than take another team from a non-power conference and watch them end up like Northwestern, maybe have one good year, but be bottom of the barrel.

I resent that! We've had TWO good years, thank you very much. :)

VY10
07-27-2007, 02:30 PM

Actually, yes, the Florida kids do want to go to Rutgers if they can't get an offer from the Big 3. Look at the recruits Rutgers has pulled in. They can beat anyone besides the Big 3 for a Florida kid. And Rutgers has pulled in the occasional player out of California. Ito had offers from Missouri, Texas A&M, Minnesota, and South Carolina. That's coming off a losing season. Things are going to explode now.

Rutgers draws by far the highest college football ratings of any team in NYC, a market ESPN/ABC desperately want to open up. The team was a major draw on ESPN last year and should be again.

Ask Army how having great football tradition is treating them. Fact is, until the eighties, Rutgers was a I-AA school in football. It regularly turned down bowl bids, and there weren't that many bowls to go around until recently. It wasn't terrible, just mediocre. It was only terrible for a few years under Terry Shea, before Schiano could rebuild the team.

Rutgers isn't going away. It just had its best recruiting year ever, pulling in Anthony Davis and Manny Abreu. They're going to fall to the bottom of the Big East? That's funny, who are they going to lose to, Syracuse? The sleeping giant has finally woken up.

No ones said they'd dominate the Big Ten, but their ball-control oriented philosophy with a top OL, Ray Rice, and an attacking defense fits the conference's stereotype to a tee.

Wow. No, Florida kids do not want to go to Rutgers. You obviously don't have a subscription to rivals. Rutgers is WAY down the list when it comes to Florida recruiting. The highest rated recruit Rutgers had coming out of Florida was rated #83 in the state. Other teams such as, Florida, Florida State, Miami, West Virginia, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU, Notre Dame, (I saw a Wisconsin pick up there too.), Tennessee, Georgia Tech, and your buddies in South Florida have way more pull in Florida. Rutgers gets the trash that no one else wants from that state. All being 2* and 3*. Alabama and Auburn have a lot of pull in Florida and can sometimes beat out In-state schools. Sure a player might go to Rutgers if no one else offers. In conclusion, there are way more teams higher in the recruit chain than Rutgers in Florida, besides the big 3.

If people in NYC like watching football teams lose I can't argue with that... because that is all Rutgers would do in the Big 10.

1 success story of getting a recruit that was offered by such powerhouses as A&M and Missou, and South Carolina doesn't count for much on the national scale.

Army is a military academy. It is at a significant disadvantage now a days.... considering you have to be in the Army for a couple of years after you graduate. Any player with pro potential is not going there. Good try though.

Rutgers recruting may have been they best they have ever had, but it is still not at the level of competing in a good conference. Looking at Rutgers schedule, they play 0 out of conference powerhouses and 0 decent teams period out of conference. Have fun beating up on the Big LEast. Yes you are right. Who is Rutgers going to lose to? Because they don't play anybody. My point is you stick Rutgers in any half decent conference and they are bottom feeders. I give Rutgers no respect until they can manage to play out of conference opponents better than Buffalo and Norfolk St., wherever the heck that is.

Ray Rice isn't immortal. He will be gone soon.

VY10
07-27-2007, 02:36 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is exactly this reason that I hate Rutgers now. I didn't care about them at all until I saw all these Rutgers fans popping up talking about how they have more upside than teams like Alabama when it comes to becoming a dominant program in the near future. It is 10X as bad on the Rivals boards.

VY10
07-27-2007, 02:42 PM

Iowa can get lucky in their scheduling and have a shot at the Big 10 championship. This year they don't play Michigan OR Ohio State. If there was a championship game the Big 10 would be on the level of the SEC. Because there isn't that championship game teams can luck out with the scheduling and come away with a championship they don't deserve. With that championship game installed teams can't help but play a powerhouse to come away with the title.

VY10
07-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Ok, question. Why do these Rutgers fans think they have the ability to pull Florida kids.

Robinson Alexis. WR. 3* Only offer was from Rutgers. He was also the only Florida kid Rutgers got last year in the Florida top 100. (#83)

Fabian Ruiz (he's from Miami) TE. 3* Offers include the all powerful Rutgers, Akron, Florida Atlantic (hahha), Florida Int'l (ahahhaha), Western Michigan. He is from Miami....I wonder why he chose Rutgers over the rest of the cupcakes that offered him. Man you guys stole him right from the U's nose!

Jameil Farrington DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, UCF, NC State, and Pitt...

Justin Francis DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, South Florida, Iowa State, Pitt....

Jonathan Freeny DE. 2* Offers Rutgers, Florida Int'l, Western Michigan......

So how is Rutgers 4th behind the Big 3 in Florida when it comes to recruiting? These kids chose Rutgers because they got no good offers. I mean if you consider the Big 3 to be UCF, South florida, and Fla. Atlantic I guess yall are with them.....

Again. Rutgers has 0 pull in the state of Florida.

Jonny
07-27-2007, 03:20 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is exactly this reason that I hate Rutgers now. I didn't care about them at all until I saw all these Rutgers fans popping up talking about how they have more upside than teams like Alabama when it comes to becoming a dominant program in the near future. It is 10X as bad on the Rivals boards.

You're joking, right? That's from two moronic fans that every Rutgers fan on Rivals hates. RutgersAl is already well-known for being the biggest homer on Rivals, and TSopranoRU has been banned at every Rutgers board. You're seriously going to judge a fanbase on two players?

So how is Rutgers 4th behind the Big 3 in Florida when it comes to recruiting?

Not what I said. Let's have a look at Schiano's record in Florida since he took over. I'll only cite the players that stuck on the roster.

2002: Ryan Hart (over Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Purdue), Markis Facyson (NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Vandy, Auburn), Luis Rivas (WVU, Auburn, Arkansas, Syracuse, Ole Miss, USF), Papa Beckford (Pitt, K-State, Alabama, WVU), Shawn Tucker (Ohio State, Auburn, BC, ISU, NC State, Syracuse, USF)

2003: Marcus Daniels (Auburn, WVU, LSU, NC State, Kansas), Quintero Frierson (Auburn, Kentucky, USF, Michigan State), Willie Foster (NC State, Kansas)

2004: Dmitri Linton (Stanford), Mike Gilmartin (Clemson, South Carolina), Corey Hyman (Pitt, Auburn, USF)

2005: Gary Watts (Miss State, Pitt, USF), Vantrise Studivant (GT, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Indiana), Dennis Campbell (Georgia, Ok. State, Pitt, USF)

2006: Chris Paul-Etienne (Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Michigan State), Kevin Holloway (WVU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, GT), Antonio Lowery (Georgia, Illinois, Michigan State, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina, BC, Minnesota, Auburn), Tim Brown (Michigan State, LSU, USF, Louisvlle)

2007: Justin Francis (Auburn, Pitt, USF, ISU, Alabama), Jameil Farrington (Auburn, Ole Miss, NC State, Minnesota, USF, Pitt)

So far this year, RU leads LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc.. for D.C. Jefferson. It is a top school for Malcolm Johnson, Onterrio McCaleb, Joe Looney, George Baker, Janoris Jenkins, Darren Sewell, and John Lejiste.

RU's staff has really good contacts in Florida due to Schiano's tenure at Miami. I guess you're not going to count near misses, but RU was constantly in the top 5 of players like Antone Smith. And the connections help bring in sleepers like Eric Foster and Tres Moses, who didn't have offers but developed into very good players.

If Rutgers's recruiting isn't at the level of competing in a good conference, what about schools like Purdue, Michigan State, and Minnesota? All did worse according to Rivals in 2007. Scout liked the class better, and put it ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Yeah, the schedule is an issue this year with only Maryland and Navy. I'm not arguing RU deserves a shot at the NC this year. But Maryland, UNC, and Notre Dame are on the future schedules, that's being taken care of.

VY10
07-27-2007, 04:30 PM
You're joking, right? That's from two moronic fans that every Rutgers fan on Rivals hates. RutgersAl is already well-known for being the biggest homer on Rivals, and TSopranoRU has been banned at every Rutgers board. You're seriously going to judge a fanbase on two players?

Not what I said. Let's have a look at Schiano's record in Florida since he took over. I'll only cite the players that stuck on the roster.

2002: Ryan Hart (over Maryland, Louisville, NC State, Purdue), Markis Facyson (NC State, Wake Forest, BC, Vandy, Auburn), Luis Rivas (WVU, Auburn, Arkansas, Syracuse, Ole Miss, USF), Papa Beckford (Pitt, K-State, Alabama, WVU), Shawn Tucker (Ohio State, Auburn, BC, ISU, NC State, Syracuse, USF)

2003: Marcus Daniels (Auburn, WVU, LSU, NC State, Kansas), Quintero Frierson (Auburn, Kentucky, USF, Michigan State), Willie Foster (NC State, Kansas)

2004: Dmitri Linton (Stanford), Mike Gilmartin (Clemson, South Carolina), Corey Hyman (Pitt, Auburn, USF)

2005: Gary Watts (Miss State, Pitt, USF), Vantrise Studivant (GT, Ole Miss, Kansas State, Wake Forest, Indiana), Dennis Campbell (Georgia, Ok. State, Pitt, USF)

2006: Chris Paul-Etienne (Illinois, Louisville, Minnesota, Michigan State), Kevin Holloway (WVU, Wisconsin, Tennessee, GT), Antonio Lowery (Georgia, Illinois, Michigan State, NC State, Pitt, South Carolina, BC, Minnesota, Auburn), Tim Brown (Michigan State, LSU, USF, Louisvlle)

2007: Justin Francis (Auburn, Pitt, USF, ISU, Alabama), Jameil Farrington (Auburn, Ole Miss, NC State, Minnesota, USF, Pitt)

So far this year, RU leads LSU, Auburn, Alabama, etc.. for D.C. Jefferson. It is a top school for Malcolm Johnson, Onterrio McCaleb, Joe Looney, George Baker, Janoris Jenkins, Darren Sewell, and John Lejiste.

RU's staff has really good contacts in Florida due to Schiano's tenure at Miami. I guess you're not going to count near misses, but RU was constantly in the top 5 of players like Antone Smith. And the connections help bring in sleepers like Eric Foster and Tres Moses, who didn't have offers but developed into very good players.

If Rutgers's recruiting isn't at the level of competing in a good conference, what about schools like Purdue, Michigan State, and Minnesota? All did worse according to Rivals in 2007. Scout liked the class better, and put it ahead of Wisconsin and Iowa.

Yeah, the schedule is an issue this year with only Maryland and Navy. I'm not arguing RU deserves a shot at the NC this year. But Maryland, UNC, and Notre Dame are on the future schedules, that's being taken care of.

Your arguments have given me more respect for the Rutgers fanbase....as to only dealing with the Rutgers homers on Rivals.

I can't wait until Rutgers plays ND. That will truly make or break the program for good. I do say Rutgers does have an advantage over ND, considering Rutgers has won more bowl games in the past 10 years than ND. It is pretty sad.

Still Rutgers will never be a top recruiter in Florida. It may be a pipeline for them but they will never be a true force there though there are hundreds of D-1 players there so they, like every other team will land some. They will get a shot at the bottom guys but they will never be able to pull any of the top guys away from the Big-3, Alabama, and Auburn (and other top programs that go for they top recruits). Imagine you're trying to pitch Rutgers to guys from Florida. Geography plays a huge part in it because Jersey isn't exactly famous for its women or its beaches.

I remember you saying earlier how Wisconsin and Penn State weren't up there with Michigan and Ohio State. Both made ESPN's top 25 programs of the last decade along with Iowa. Wisconsin being T-13.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2947988

You're right near misses don't count. Alabama almost landed Tebow? Was in the running for Noel Devine?

Schiano is a good coach but Rutgers hasn't ever faced the challenge of a schedule that the Big10 can throw at you. Look at how many cupcakes are on their schedule as of now and last year.

If the Big 10 was to choose Rutgers, Rutgers would never have any sort of success again.

Jonny
07-27-2007, 04:45 PM
It's two great teams, and a couple of very good teams.

Rutgers couldn't compete in the Big Ten? Let's look at Iowa's schedule for this year.

Sept. 1 Northern Illinois (in Chic.)
Sept. 8 Syracuse
Sept. 15 at Iowa State
Sept. 22 at Wisconsin
Sept. 29 Indiana
Oct. 6 at Penn State
Oct. 13 Illinois
Oct. 20 at Purdue
Oct. 27 Michigan State
Nov. 3 at Northwestern
Nov. 10 Minnesota
Nov. 17 Western Michigan

Rutgers would get 9/10 wins with that schedule. Obviously losing to Wisconsin and PSU, and @Purdue is a tossup.

Playing in the Big Ten, they're not going to face the elite teams every game. I think Rutgers could be a perennial top 25, 8-9 win team in any conference. I still want to make the Big East successful though.

Schiano has beaten Auburn, Alabama, etc... on occasion. It's not going to happen all of the time, but it has happened. Some people actually do want to get away, you can't make uniform statements about every player. Will Hill doesn't like cold weather, some players in Miami don't like scorching heat. Some recruits have actually commented that they saw snow in person for the first times in their lives on their visit, and that was a factor in committing.

NJ has the Jersey shore. aka, that place that people from New York and Pennsylvania flood to every weekend. Can't argue that the women compare to the South, but they can easily beat the flyover states there.

Michigan
07-27-2007, 04:51 PM
Personally, I'm for the idea of dropping Penn State and going back to 10 teams...

O, and Rutgers would be a mediocre addition. I doubt the NY/NJ market would keep their interest when Rutgers is perenially near the basement of the conference...

duckseason
07-28-2007, 08:23 AM
I think I'd rather see Fresno St. and Boise St.
But all 4 would be legit candidates.

It would be nice to have a standard conference size across the country. Or at least among the major conferences. Especially for us fans who like to compare strengths and weaknesses. Comparing a 10 team conference to a 12 team conference doesn't work that well.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2007, 10:33 AM
It's two great teams, and a couple of very good teams.

Rutgers couldn't compete in the Big Ten? Let's look at Iowa's schedule for this year.

Sept. 1 Northern Illinois (in Chic.)
Sept. 8 Syracuse
Sept. 15 at Iowa State
Sept. 22 at Wisconsin
Sept. 29 Indiana
Oct. 6 at Penn State
Oct. 13 Illinois
Oct. 20 at Purdue
Oct. 27 Michigan State
Nov. 3 at Northwestern
Nov. 10 Minnesota
Nov. 17 Western Michigan

Rutgers would get 9/10 wins with that schedule. Obviously losing to Wisconsin and PSU, and @Purdue is a tossup.

Playing in the Big Ten, they're not going to face the elite teams every game. I think Rutgers could be a perennial top 25, 8-9 win team in any conference. I still want to make the Big East successful though.
You mean the same Rutgers team that lost to Cincinnatti? Please.... You can't assume a win for the rest of them, Rutgers isn't good enough to assume that.

GB12
07-28-2007, 11:54 AM
You mean the same Rutgers team that lost to Cincinnatti? Please.... You can't assume a win for the rest of them, Rutgers isn't good enough to assume that.

Even on that easy schedule I think they'd struggle to get 5 or 6 wins.

neko4
07-28-2007, 12:19 PM
I think I'd rather see Fresno St. and Boise St.
But all 4 would be legit candidates.

It would be nice to have a standard conference size across the country. Or at least among the major conferences. Especially for us fans who like to compare strengths and weaknesses. Comparing a 10 team conference to a 12 team conference doesn't work that well.

I agree, and I still dont understand why all conferences dont have champ games

Jonny
07-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Cincy's not a bad team. That's why Michigan State wanted their coach. It was a classic letdown game though. I'll freely admit that factor contributed heavily into being able to beat Louisville.

Last season was accomplished with mostly ** recruits and even a few walk-ons. Some have graduated, and have mostly been replaced by more highly-rated players. That will keep happening. Ray Rice was only a *** player. His true freshman backup last year was a **** player, and another **** RB is being brought in. That's why Knight fans have reason to be optimistic.

Philliez01
07-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Geography plays a huge part in it because Jersey isn't exactly famous for its women or its beaches.

I wouldn't go that far. Wildwood Beach, Cape May, Monmouth Shore, LBI are all very well - known throughout the country. Wildwood in particular, granted it's not South Beach or even Daytona but it's up there.

Anyway, I think Rutgers could contend but not right now.

We (being RU) have been good in the recruiting department but I think we'll stay a Top - 25 team that has an occasional Top - 15 season. I think they'll take a few recruits away from Notre Dame if they continue their successes but two good seasons isn't going to add as much prestige as schools as Miami, Florida State, PSU, USC, Florida, Alabama, UCLA, Notre Dame amongst others. It's still a work in progress.

iowatreat54
07-28-2007, 02:09 PM
ok I am a fan of the Rutgers team (ever since the late 90s games where I would play against them because they were horrible lol) and I understand where all their fans and other people are coming from when they say they are doing better, but how can all of you come out after one good season and act like Rutgers is the second coming of christ? I mean, I understand that you guys don't think they are instantly a USC, Texas, OSU, etc. and I understand that you are hopeful, but the way you are making a case for them seems like last year erases the past 50 years of mediocrity at best...I too believe Rutgers may be on the way up, but to think that one good season will make people think "Oh, they must be a great program, who cares that they have had like 1 winning season in recent memory" is just silly

Philliez01
07-28-2007, 04:03 PM
ok I am a fan of the Rutgers team (ever since the late 90s games where I would play against them because they were horrible lol) and I understand where all their fans and other people are coming from when they say they are doing better, but how can all of you come out after one good season and act like Rutgers is the second coming of christ? I mean, I understand that you guys don't think they are instantly a USC, Texas, OSU, etc. and I understand that you are hopeful, but the way you are making a case for them seems like last year erases the past 50 years of mediocrity at best...I too believe Rutgers may be on the way up, but to think that one good season will make people think "Oh, they must be a great program, who cares that they have had like 1 winning season in recent memory" is just silly

I pretty much just said that, only one other RU fan (Jonny) is in the discussion so I think "all their fans" is resorting towards one.

But could you blame RU fans? Going through the days of Ryan Cubit, and 3/4 of Ryan Hart's tenure; there was hardly any reason for optimism. I remember them contending (and I believe, beating?) Michigan State in '04 but that was it. There's been absolutely nothing to be excited about until the Insight Bowl game and now after winning the Texas Bowl; we, the fans, are still on Cloud 9. I don't see anyone even saying anything remotely similar to what you said.

Shane P. Hallam
07-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Can we move back on topic?

Alright, here is a list I think should be considered:
Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri

duckseason
07-28-2007, 04:30 PM

Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri
What about geographic considerations? Not sure about WVU or BSU.

neko4
07-28-2007, 04:40 PM
What about geographic considerations? Not sure about WVU or BSU.

Thats what i thought, and im all for Central Michigan

duckseason
07-28-2007, 04:43 PM
I think they should definitely add a team that can compete with the upper tier. They already have enough patsies in that conference. haha.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri
Boise State isn't a possibility. Big Ten by-laws state that any joining member has to be in a state touching a state of a current Big Ten member. This is why Colorado or South Florida isn't a possibility either (Mark May)

GB12
07-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Pitt
West Virginia
Rutgers
Iowa State
Boise State
Central Michigan
Missouri

First I would not want an extra team at all. If we had to who I'd want would be:

1. Notre Dame
2. Nebraska
3. Pitt
4. Missouri
5. Iowa State

FootballGod
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Dont tell other people what they don't know if you can't get the stats correct yourself. Ohio State is the Number 1 research university in the Big 10 and only behind Nothwestern and Michigan in terms of overall academics.

bearsfan_51
07-30-2007, 01:34 PM
Dont tell other people what they don't know if you can't get the stats correct yourself. Ohio State is the Number 1 research university in the Big 10 and only behind Nothwestern and Michigan in terms of overall academics.

I've spent almost my entire life living in Ohio, my parents both graduated from Ohio State. You have no idea what you're talking about. Find me an accreditted ranking system that has Ohio State above schools like Wisconsin, Northwestern, and Minnesota in terms of research. Just because you're a Buckeyes fan doesn't mean you're even remotely qualified to speak on the issue. I've already listed the rankings in terms of both graduate and undergraduate. These come from multiple ranking systems both inside and outside the academic circle. I do this for a living. You don't know what the **** you're talking about. Good day.

Shane P. Hallam
07-30-2007, 01:38 PM
If you two want to have that conversation over PM, feel free, but that isnt what this topic is for.

andyjo672
07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. I dont know the exact research rankings but i know for a FACT that for at least the past decade in terms of overall academic rankings its been:
1.Northwestern
2.Michigan
3.Wisconsin

Overall in the nation Northwestern comes in around 11, Michigan around 20-25 and Wisconsin between 30-35.

In terms of Public schools:
1.Cal-Berkley
2.Virginia
3.Michigan
With Wisconsin being as high as 5th on this list and I believe currently they are ranked around 7th.

BerninWI
07-30-2007, 11:43 PM
According to a very reliable source, believe it or not a school from the deep south approached the Big 11 about joining a few years ago, and it was one of these five programs: Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. However, at that juncture, the 11 wasn't ready to add a 12th team. I thought that would be a very intriguing tidbit of info to pass along. I couldn't tell you if they're still interested, or if this is the school they're currently in serious talks with. As long as the vote is unanimous, it could be any team, even someone who doesn't come close to bordering. I realize the travel would be immense, but obviously that is something they were willing to deal with.

As for the names bandied about-

Iowa State- Why would the 11 add the 2nd best team in Iowa when they have such a weak recruiting base? ISU should drop to mid major if anything.

Rutgers- Why would the 11 take a risk on a school that's had 1-2 good years, which directly correlates to the event where the big east lost their top teams? Their academics are borderline too. Cue the Rutgers homers.

Notre Dame- Not going to happen for financial reasons.

CMU- Why would the 11 slum like that?

Pitt- That one is plausible. They wouldn't be a liability in football really, and at least their recruiting well. They would add to the conference's strength in basketball. Academics are solid.

West Virginia- If they allowed Noel Devine to qualify, then their academic standards can't suffice.

Boise State- Once again, the 11 would be slumming. They'd be a major liability in basketball, and their success in football won't last forever. I doubt their academics are on par.

Nebraska- My personal favorite. The Big 12 is slipping. Nobody thinks of the Big 12 when they think of basketball. Less are thinking about the Big 12 when they think of football. So they'd be stupid not to be interested, especially with the Big Ten Network about to launch. They are a traditional power in football and back on the rise. In basketball they've stunk for a while, but given the fact that they are at least #1 in their state, they have potential with the right coach. I thought their academics were pretty good, but supposedly they'd be about the worst in the 11. Still, they're worth taking the chance on.

GB12
07-30-2007, 11:52 PM
According to a very reliable source, believe it or not a school from the deep south approached the Big 11 about joining a few years ago, and it was one of these five programs: Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Miami, or FSU. However, at that juncture, the 11 wasn't ready to add a 12th team. I thought that would be a very intriguing tidbit of info to pass along. I couldn't tell you if they're still interested, or if this is the school they're currently in serious talks with. As long as the vote is unanimous, it could be any team, even someone who doesn't come close to bordering. I realize the travel would be immense, but obviously that is something they were willing to deal with.
Actually no, that's not possible.

BerninWI
07-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Actually no, that's not possible.

Yes it is possible. I'm pretty sure it's just like the constitution. If they get enough votes, they can change it. Why would they restrict themselves when it's something that every school wants and benefits from. Like I said, if it's a unanimous vote, the team DOES NOT have to be from a bordering state.

Giantsfan1080
07-31-2007, 12:25 AM

As for the names bandied about-

Iowa State- Why would the 11 add the 2nd best team in Iowa when they have such a weak recruiting base? ISU should drop to mid major if anything.

Rutgers- Why would the 11 take a risk on a school that's had 1-2 good years, which directly correlates to the event where the big east lost their top teams? Their academics are borderline too. Cue the Rutgers homers.

Notre Dame- Not going to happen for financial reasons.

CMU- Why would the 11 slum like that?

Pitt- That one is plausible. They wouldn't be a liability in football really, and at least their recruiting well. They would add to the conference's strength in basketball. Academics are solid.

West Virginia- If they allowed Noel Devine to qualify, then their academic standards can't suffice.

Boise State- Once again, the 11 would be slumming. They'd be a major liability in basketball, and their success in football won't last forever. I doubt their academics are on par.

Nebraska- My personal favorite. The Big 12 is slipping. Nobody thinks of the Big 12 when they think of basketball. Less are thinking about the Big 12 when they think of football. So they'd be stupid not to be interested, especially with the Big Ten Network about to launch. They are a traditional power in football and back on the rise. In basketball they've stunk for a while, but given the fact that they are at least #1 in their state, they have potential with the right coach. I thought their academics were pretty good, but supposedly they'd be about the worst in the 11. Still, they're worth taking the chance on.

You said cue the Rutgers homers and I don't really want to argue in this thread but Rutgers is widely considered by many as one of the top 20 public universities in the country.

Iamcanadian
07-31-2007, 11:45 AM
I think Syracuse would be right behind Notre Dame as a school that could be #12. Their basketball reputation is second to none and they would bring a football tradition with them along with excellent facilities. They are close to the New York press market which the Big 10 would love.
There is no way in your lifetime that the Big 10 would accept a school that is not a widely known team. I could see Nebraska or Pittsburgh but Iowa St, Missouri and Rutgers have absolutely no chance. Louisville would have a slight chance but West Virginia , never. Too small a TV market which could also limit Louisville.

Jonny
07-31-2007, 06:59 PM

Hello!

How are the academics borderline? You can argue football all you want, but Rutgers would be in the middle of the Big Ten academically.

I think Syracuse would be right behind Notre Dame as a school that could be #12. Their basketball reputation is second to none and they would bring a football tradition with them along with excellent facilities. They are close to the New York press market which the Big 10 would love.

Syracuse is in upstate NY. They aren't close to NYC at all.

BerninWI
07-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello!

How are the academics borderline? You can argue football all you want, but Rutgers would be in the middle of the Big Ten academically.

You're right, you'd be middle of the road for the Big Ten according to the rankings; but there is a substantial drop off after the top 3 or so academic schools in the big ten. And we seem to put a lot of emphasis on research vs. undergrad. I don't know which is disproportionately better for Rutgers. Even if Rutgers was an average school academically for the 11, I don't know how they'd be above average athletically, to justify adding them to the conference. And clearly Rutgers hasn't been even close to average in football/basketball the last 10 years or so. Obviously there are many better, more proven options. And that's what this thread is about, and that is; trying to discern who would be among the best options for the 11.

bearsfan_51
07-31-2007, 10:05 PM
You're right, you'd be middle of the road for the Big Ten according to the rankings; but there is a substantial drop off after the top 3 or so academic schools in the big ten. And we seem to put a lot of emphasis on research vs. undergrad. I don't know which is disproportionately better for Rutgers. Even if Rutgers was an average school academically for the 11, I don't know how they'd be above average athletically, to justify adding them to the conference. And clearly Rutgers hasn't been even close to average in football/basketball the last 10 years or so. Obviously there are many better, more proven options. And that's what this thread is about, and that is; trying to discern who would be among the best options for the 11.

Rutgers is pretty good for research. Obviously they play second banana to Princeton in New Jersey, but they're easily around Ohio State/Penn State/etc.

GB12
08-01-2007, 12:19 AM
"We're not looking for a championship game. If we were looking for a championship game, we would have had one 15 years ago," he said. "We're looking for a stronger conference, a conference that works better for all 11 members. . . . Our goal from our 11 institutions is how can we get better."
Words from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany.

Sniper
08-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Words from Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany.

Well Columbus wasn't looking for America my man, but look how that turned out. You're here.