PDA

View Full Version : Darnell Bing Waived

Windy
07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Is this thread worthy IDK?

I know a lot of people were interested in his career.

http://www.raiders.com/Team/Default.aspx?id=152

TheChampIsHere
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
dammit I was expecting big things from him in the future

fischbowl
07-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Is this thread worthy IDK?

I know a lot of people were interested in his career.

I believe it's a shame he didn't do well. That injury really ****** him over.

keylime_5
07-25-2007, 07:06 PM
Too big and slow to play safety, too small and weak of a tackler to play LB. Just a little faster version of Ernest Shazor, never thought he'd succeed in the NFL. He's plenty fast for college, but in the NFL a safety like him who can't hit like Roy Williams but can't cover can't make it.

diabsoule
07-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I thought he'd end up panning out. I guess I didn't realize how bad of an injury he had.

JT Jag
07-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Too big and slow to play safety, too small and weak of a tackler to play LB.I'm fully expecting the Colts to pick him up.

Komp
07-25-2007, 07:26 PM
In September this would not be threadworthy, but in July it is. This is really too bad as I was hoping they would be able to find a place for him somewhere. I think he is a big enough hitter to play SS, so maybe he didn't have the mental part of the game down pat, I'm not sure tbh. In a very crowded Raider backfield it was apparent someone had to go, and I would rather see him go than Stu. If worse comes to worse a long career in the CFL as a LB awaits him....

Scout49
07-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm fully expecting the Colts to pick him up.

Only if they beat the 49ers to him!

Paranoidmoonduck
07-25-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm definitely surprised, but if the coaching staff felt the roster spot was wasted on him, so be it.

nobodyinparticular
07-25-2007, 08:05 PM
The fact that he was cut so early is what really intrigues me. It makes me think there was a personal problem with coaches/players or his injury was really a lot worse than everyone thought. There's also that slight possibility that he was caught doing steroids (needing to bulk up for LB and all) which would explain why both he and Cooper were cut at the same time.

Paul
07-25-2007, 08:38 PM
Wow, I'm kind of surprised by this, even with the injury. I really liked him coming out. But I'm betting someone will swoop him up pretty soon.

MURPHMAN
07-25-2007, 08:43 PM
The Panthers might give him a shot. Safety is the biggest need for them and they were interested in Bing last spring. I think they spent a lot of time with him on USC's pro day.

remix 6
07-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Patriots were interested in him during draft workouts. doubt we pick him up but itd be nice to have him as an ST player

BamaFalcon59
07-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Bring him home McKay. Milloy is old and he could compete with Darren Stone for the backup job.

Yung Flippa
07-25-2007, 08:56 PM
I wasn't expecting that, hopefully the Ravens sign him so we can have some more depth at the Safety position.

PACKmanN
07-25-2007, 09:49 PM
Maybe if the Briggs thing doesn't go CHI way they can bring Bing in as a safe value.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2007, 09:50 PM
Bing and Shazor went from being 1st round safties to a late round pick and UDFA. I'm very suprised that both of them have gone this way. Ever since Shazor had that big play against Purdue to save the season for Michigan I tought he might be a big time player. Obviously the NFL disagreed with me.

etk
07-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Maybe if the Briggs thing doesn't go CHI way they can bring Bing in as a safe value.

He would be a rookie at the position with injury problems. That's anything but safe value.

bearfan
07-25-2007, 10:10 PM
we have Okwo and Jamar Williams, both more than capable to take over for Briggs if he went down.

ATLDirtyBirds
07-25-2007, 10:18 PM
I will admit, I was huge fans of bith Bing and Shazor. Ouch.

Cashmoney
07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
whats up with top college safeties not panning out? shazor, bing, and then that guy from unlv a couple years back.

BigDawg819
07-25-2007, 10:46 PM
whats up with top college safeties not panning out? shazor, bing, and then that guy from unlv a couple years back.

Ed Reed went to a top college and is doing just fine...........

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Who else remembers that Shazor play against Purdue? It was a nasty hit at a big time.

Giantsfan1080
07-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Ed Reed went to a top college and is doing just fine...........

So did Polamalu and Taylor and so on.

jbeans187
07-25-2007, 10:52 PM
What kind of neck injury was it? I really like Bing

SubNoize
07-25-2007, 11:28 PM
i don't think an injury played a part in him being waived he was simply out worked by another young saftey by the name of Eric Frampton. from what I've read Frampton has been one of the Raiders hardest workers and enthusiastic learners ,which is what that team needs, postive attitudes and players. Frampton has the same big hit abilities and also saw a lot of the same players being another pac-10 guy. overall i think Bing slacked and the new guy beat him out, i think oakland will end up with Huff,Stu,DD,Frampton and possibly Bj Ward, but i can't see keeping 5 safeties on.

yourfavestoner
07-26-2007, 12:48 AM

Like many have said, it's because they don't have the athleticism to play defensive back in the NFL, and aren't strong enough against the run to play linebacker. I remember saying awhile back that Bing wasn't a first round talent, because he simply didn't have the coverage ability to do it. Sure, him and Shazor were good enough to get by in college (where they were surrounded by tons of talent as well), but the NFL is a whole other ballgame.

neko4
07-26-2007, 12:49 AM

Yeah! UNLV that power house

yourfavestoner
07-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Yeah! UNLV that power house

He doesn't mean safeties from top programs. He means safeties that were highly regarded in college that don't pan out in the NFL, and that's because their skillset is that of a safety/linebacker tweener. Zbikowski is going to be the next one.

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 01:10 AM
This shows that how you can benefit from playing with top defenses in college, you get your name known then when the NFL comes everyone forgets about you. Bing=overrated.

Hawk
07-26-2007, 01:58 AM
anyone got a video of that shazor hit?

Ward
07-26-2007, 02:51 AM
This is why the Dwayne Slay love from this site was 100x funnier to me.

KCJ58
07-26-2007, 02:59 AM
Hope the Rams pick him up and but him at Saftey

draftguru151
07-26-2007, 08:56 AM
This shows that how you can benefit from playing with top defenses in college, you get your name known then when the NFL comes everyone forgets about you. Bing=overrated.

You don't get ranked as a top 20 player after your freshman season because the talent around you.

BlindSite
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
He was only a 4th rounder and I thought he would've been a good gunner and blocker on ST at the very least. I supposed having busted body parts doesn't help when you've got to be fearless.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Im not suprised really about this happening.I dont think he really fit in at the SS position or OLB position to be honest.Not to mention we signed Darius. Its a bummer to see him go I liked him.He'll be picked up by someone else.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-26-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't think Bing was ever really that injured. He was put on IR his first year because Shell was too lazy to find out what was up with his neck and had the make a decision. I'm pretty sure he would have been able to play by week 2 or 3.

Oakland had a logjam at safety, and perhaps Bing was just incapable of doing what Ryan wanted him to do in that defense. The fact that Kiffin was his college coach and is widely considered to be the guy responsible for his shift from linebacker to safety certainly adds an element to this, but it might be as simple as the fact that Bing got outplayed by someone like rookie Eric Frampton, someone who showed a lot more ability making plays deep than Bing did in college.

Splat
07-26-2007, 06:08 PM
He just got picked up by the 49ers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-bing&prov=ap&type=lgns

Moses
07-26-2007, 06:12 PM

He was one of the top recruits coming out of high school...

His career was devastated by injuries.

JT Jag
07-26-2007, 07:11 PM
He doesn't mean safeties from top programs. He means safeties that were highly regarded in college that don't pan out in the NFL, and that's because their skillset is that of a safety/linebacker tweener. Zbikowski is going to be the next one.No, Aaron Rouse is going to be the next one.

KCJ58
07-26-2007, 07:12 PM
He just got picked up by the 49ers.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-49ers-bing&prov=ap&type=lgns

he's not going that far from oakland

BufFan71
07-26-2007, 07:15 PM
yup signed by 49ers....
i was hoping the bills would be interested.....(as a WLB)

Ward
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
No, Aaron Rouse is going to be the next one.

Doesn't help that Rouse is one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen in college. Add on top of that he's slow and stupid, it's gonna be great!

Scout49
07-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Oh Baby! I'm so pumped to see the 9ers grab him! Who knows maybe Bing is the the next Ronnie Lott. I sure hope there is nothin wrong with him. GREAT PICK UP 9ERS!!!!!

remix 6
07-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Oh Baby! I'm so pumped to see the 9ers grab him! Who knows maybe Bing is the the next Ronnie Lott. I sure hope there is nothin wrong with him. GREAT PICK UP 9ERS!!!!!

..u already have safeties who cant cover..1 is Michael Lewis

:\

nobodyinparticular
07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
..u already have safeties who cant cover..1 is Michael Lewis

:\

Truer words have never been said. Ronnie Lott could actually cover. To use Bing and Lott in the same sentence apart from "Bing is poo in comparison to Lott" is heresy.

Splat
07-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Oh Baby! I'm so pumped to see the 9ers grab him! Who knows maybe Bing is the the next Ronnie Lott.

That quote is so going to get used under someone's Sig.

BufFan71
07-27-2007, 07:28 AM
doesnt it seem like the 49ers will be this years version of the Redskins?

Moses
07-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Doesn't help that Rouse is one of the dirtiest players I've ever seen in college. Add on top of that he's slow and stupid, it's gonna be great!

Rouse is actually pretty fast for his size. Deceptive speed. Plus, he's a great vocal leader and can lay the wood. At worst, he'll be an awesome special teamer.

49erfanatic
07-27-2007, 01:01 PM
doesnt it seem like the 49ers will be this years version of the Redskins?

You've got to be kidding me. The 49ers team has been built mostly through the draft. They pick up Clements, Lewis, TBC, and Franklin and suddenly they're the Redskins? Maybe you should think before you post. The niners also have young players at all those positions. At corner they have Spencer and Brown. Keith Lewis will back up Michael Lewis. Jay Moore will probably be the backup OLB after camp and Franklin will have to beat out Sopoaga and Ronald Fields if he wants to start.

The Redskins mortgage their future every year for overrated veterans. In 2005 the Redskins had 6 picks and 4 of them were round 4 or later, San Francisco had 11 picks that draft. In 2006 Washington had 6 picks, 5 of them were 5th round or later and they didn't have a first round pick. San Francisco had 9 picks, two of which were in the first round. This year Washington had only 5 picks, with one first rounder and the other 4 in round 5 or later. San Francisco again had 9 picks, including 2 first rounders and 7 of the 9 picks were in the first 4 rounds.

If you actually payed attention to football maybe you'd be able to see that the 49ers and the Redskins are nothing alike. BTW even with this free agent splash that the niners have made, they still have almost $10 million left in cap room. Good post though

HoopsDemon12
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm fully expecting the Colts to pick him up.

i really think he would be a great system for him.. i mean its a fast flow defence... if he can just hold up the ball carrier till the rest of the defence gets there i think he would suceed.. even as a linebacker

Moses
07-27-2007, 01:10 PM
i really think he would be a great system for him.. i mean its a fast flow defence... if he can just hold up the ball carrier till the rest of the defence gets there i think he would suceed.. even as a linebacker

He can't be a worse tackler than Cato June or the rest of that defence for that matter. ;)

PACKmanN
07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
He signed with the 49ers, why are they filling there roster with safeties who cant cover?

Ward
07-27-2007, 02:45 PM
He signed with the 49ers, why are they filling there roster with safeties who cant cover?

Because they're trying to emulate the Cowboys.

Roy Williams, Ken Hamlin, Keith Davis...

soybean
07-27-2007, 03:38 PM
it's funny how ever since he was cut, everyone is jumping on him saying he can't cover. Where was this talk before he was cut?

SubNoize
07-27-2007, 04:20 PM
it happend mostly around draft time, and he's been non-existent since then so now people get to bring it up again.

Chief49er
07-27-2007, 05:13 PM
How would anyone know if he can cover in the NFL, he hasnt played yet?

TheChampIsHere
07-27-2007, 05:24 PM
49ers just picked him up and for a team that is relatively weak at safety, I would say its a good pickup.

BufFan71
07-27-2007, 05:44 PM
You've got to be kidding me. The 49ers team has been built mostly through the draft. They pick up Clements, Lewis, TBC, and Franklin and suddenly they're the Redskins? Maybe you should think before you post. The niners also have young players at all those positions. At corner they have Spencer and Brown. Keith Lewis will back up Michael Lewis. Jay Moore will probably be the backup OLB after camp and Franklin will have to beat out Sopoaga and Ronald Fields if he wants to start.

The Redskins mortgage their future every year for overrated veterans. In 2005 the Redskins had 6 picks and 4 of them were round 4 or later, San Francisco had 11 picks that draft. In 2006 Washington had 6 picks, 5 of them were 5th round or later and they didn't have a first round pick. San Francisco had 9 picks, two of which were in the first round. This year Washington had only 5 picks, with one first rounder and the other 4 in round 5 or later. San Francisco again had 9 picks, including 2 first rounders and 7 of the 9 picks were in the first 4 rounds.

If you actually payed attention to football maybe you'd be able to see that the 49ers and the Redskins are nothing alike. BTW even with this free agent splash that the niners have made, they still have almost $10 million left in cap room. Good post though

im not gonna take that post into consideration since u are a 49er fan

plus
Clements
Banta Cain
Lewis
Franklin
Bing
Ashlie Lelie
Darrell jackson
Sam Rayburn

u forgot to mention those...

PACKmanN
07-27-2007, 05:53 PM
49ers just picked him up and for a team that is relatively weak at safety, I would say its a good pickup.

they just added another in-the-box type safety, thats not an improvement because all of there strong safeties are in-the-box type.

no love
07-27-2007, 06:27 PM
im not gonna take that post into consideration since u are a 49er fan

plus
Clements
Banta Cain
Lewis
Franklin
Bing
Ashlie Lelie
Darrell jackson
Sam Rayburn

u forgot to mention those...

Just admit you got pwned.

Franklin (3yrs $6 million), Lelie (only max of 2 yr $6 million) and Rayburn (signed right after we lost M. Oliver) were all signed to relatively low contracts. Clements they may have overpaid for, but not by a huge amount. I think Banta Cain and Lewis they paid just about market value for. For all we know, Bing is just training camp fodder, to increase competition.

Jackson was obtained for a 4th rounder (a 6 yr $25 million contract from 2004) and was considered by most to be a steal from a division rival, anytime you can strengthen one of your biggest weaknesses while weakening a division opponent, you have to take that opportunity. To put things in perspective, the Redskins gave a 4th for Brandon Lloyd (and gave him a deal worth 5yr $25 million) who has never had a 1,000 yard season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
07-27-2007, 07:11 PM
yup signed by 49ers....
i was hoping the bills would be interested.....(as a WLB)I doubt he will be used as a LB.If he was capable of playing decent at LB Ryan would have kept him.

papa burgundy
07-27-2007, 07:27 PM

Yeah.. I hope thats sarcasm. Bing will be lucky to make the practice squad. We already have 3 in the box strong safeties who can't cover in Mike and Keith Lewis plus Vickiel Vaughn who despite being put on IR after the first pre-season game has more NFL game experience than Bing does. Bing is just another camp body who will probably be let go before pre-season ends.

soybean
07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Yeah.. I hope thats sarcasm. Bing will be lucky to make the practice squad. We already have 3 in the box strong safeties who can't cover in Mike and Keith Lewis plus Vickiel Vaughn who despite being put on IR after the first pre-season game has more NFL game experience than Bing does. Bing is just another camp body who will probably be let go before pre-season ends.

why'd they pick him up so fast then?

papa burgundy
07-27-2007, 08:48 PM
why'd they pick him up so fast then?

Because they put a claim on him through waivers? It's not like they could've waited around a week and suddenly decide they wanted to claim him off waivers. Again.. The Niners quota on safeties who can't cover is filled with the Lewis' and Roman. Bing is just another camp body who can come in and try to impress and make the practice squad.

BufFan71
07-27-2007, 08:53 PM
practice squad???

bing is too talented to be on the 49ers practice squad....
(im pretty sure if someone is on a practice squad, another team can sign him)
if that happens...expect it

Go_Eagles77
07-27-2007, 08:54 PM
What they want a SS that might be even worse off in coverage than Michael Lewis? idk...

BufFan71
07-27-2007, 08:56 PM
only reason i remotely like Michael lewis is b/c im a CU boulder....

but he is HORRIBLE in coverage...

Bing would have been better off playing LB in a tampa2 defense:
Colts, Bears, Bills, Bucs

Mr. Stiller
07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
only reason i remotely like Michael lewis is b/c im a CU boulder....

but he is HORRIBLE in coverage...

Bing would have been better off playing LB in a tampa2 defense:
Colts, Bears, Bills, Bucs

Agreed.. I think Tampa or Indy should've picked him up.

I think he'd be perfect for Indy.

Go_Eagles77
07-27-2007, 09:03 PM
And he's definitely not gonna get a chance to switch to LB in SF, with the 3-4

BufFan71
07-27-2007, 09:12 PM
And he's definitely not gonna get a chance to switch to LB in SF, with the 3-4

exactly....so hes not gonna stick around in San Fran for very long

jag
07-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I remember reading that the Niners were very interested in Bing around Draft time. So I wouldn't be surprised if he makes the team.

Borat
07-27-2007, 10:42 PM
He's not going to make the 9ers. I don't even think he'll make it past the first round of cuts. I don't believe they have their minds made up as to what they want to do for starters at safety, so they're going to throw a bunch of bodies in there and see who claims the spots.

Chief49er
07-28-2007, 01:18 AM
All you Niner haters forgot one thing.

Nolan's players PLAY for him, with all their heart. Nolan will be one of the great coaches, you will see.

BufFan71
07-28-2007, 06:35 AM
All you Niner haters forgot one thing.

Nolan's players PLAY for him, with all their heart. Nolan will be one of the great coaches, you will see.

and?????
are u implying that these in the box safeties..(b/c they are gonna play with heart) are gonna be able to cover b/c Nolan is the head coach

papa burgundy
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
and?????
are u implying that these in the box safeties..(b/c they are gonna play with heart) are gonna be able to cover b/c Nolan is the head coach

to be fair.. last year when Nolan was running the defense he managed to cover up Keith Lewis' coverage deficiencies pretty well by playing him along the LoS alot. if I had to say he'll probably do the same thing with Michael Lewis, but blitz him more... kinda like Adrian Wilson is used but with way less coverage responsibilities. but back to the subject of Bing.. he has absolutely no chance to make the roster because the depth at safety is already filled with Roman Lewis Lewis and Goldson and there is no way they keep 5 they're more likely to keep 5 CBs instead.

BufFan71
07-28-2007, 11:58 AM
so wat was the point of getting him?

Borat
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM

I already answered that. They're going to throw him in there and see if he can cover any better than the other non-cover safeties they got. What's the big deal? It probably won't work out, but they won't know if they don't put him out there. It's not like they dropped a $10M signing bonus on him.

soybean
07-28-2007, 12:12 PM

exactly, you don't pick someone up in a matter of minutes (exaggeration) if you just expect them to be on the practice squad.

BufFan71
07-28-2007, 12:56 PM
exactly, you don't pick someone up in a matter of minutes (exaggeration) if you just expect them to be on the practice squad.

exactly b/c he could of went to a team that he could contribute for...

Borat
07-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Just wondering ....

Do you guys know how the waiver system works? Nevermind, I'm pretty sure you don't.

SubNoize
07-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Just wondering ....

Do you guys know how the waiver system works? Nevermind, I'm pretty sure you don't.

teams put in bid for player, worst record from last year team gets priority on player, therefore SF had the worst record of teams that bid on Bing. they also assume the contract he already signed with OAK

soybean
07-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Just wondering ....

I'm just saying i don't agree with papa burgundy that the niners picked bing up with no intention of even letting him compete for a starting or even back up job.

MasterShake
07-28-2007, 11:34 PM
I'm just saying i don't agree with papa burgundy that the niners picked bing up with no intention of even letting him compete for a starting or even back up job.

He didn't say he won't be allowed to compete. Obviously he will be allowed to compete, but Brugundy was right that he really has no shot of making the team. Lewis, Lewis and Roman are pretty much locks to make the team and Dashon Goldson our 4th round FS has been very impressive so far.

Bing will probably end up on the PS.