PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Question for the 2006 draft

GoinDeepWithCJ
07-26-2007, 09:58 AM
If the Texans decided to take the hometown kid in Vince Young and the Saints still took Reggie Bush. Where would Mario Williams have fallen to? Would the Titans have taken the next best QB available and gone with Leinart? The Jets were sold with D'Brickashaw. Were the Packers a possibility or were they A.J. Hawk all the way?

What are some scenarios that could have played out?

Moses
07-26-2007, 10:27 AM
If the Texans decided to take the hometown kid in Vince Young and the Saints still took Reggie Bush. Where would Mario Williams have fallen to? Would the Titans have taken the next best QB available and gone with Leinart? The Jets were sold with D'Brickashaw. Were the Packers a possibility or were they A.J. Hawk all the way?

First it should be noted that the Texans were going either Bush or Williams. Young wasn't in the running from what I know.

Even so, hypothetically:

1. Texans - Vince Young
2. Saints - Reggie Bush
3. Titans - Matt Leinart
4. Jets - D'Brickashaw Williams
5. Packers - Mario Williams

That's my guess anyway.

neko4
07-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Green Bay seemed ready to take AJ, and then the next year, Kampman had a career high in sacks, so i wouldve been mad had Green Bay taken Mario

Moses
07-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Green Bay seemed ready to take AJ, and then the next year, Kampman had a career high in sacks, so i wouldve been mad had Green Bay taken Mario

Kampman could use another strong defensive end across from him. Williams/Kampman would be a formidable duo. However, the combo of Jenkins/KGB has worked well thus far. Still, I think it's almost always a bad decision to pass on an elite DE for an elite LB.

neko4
07-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Kampman could use another strong defensive end across from him. Williams/Kampman would be a formidable duo. However, the combo of Jenkins/KGB has worked well thus far. Still, I think it's almost always a bad decision to pass on an elite DE for an elite LB.

But Green Bay did have a bigger need at LB during the draft
Kampman had proved average and KGB was still doing good. But at LB all GB had was Barnett

Moses
07-26-2007, 10:43 AM
But Green Bay did have a bigger need at LB during the draft
Kampman had proved average and KGB was still doing good. But at LB all GB had was Barnett

True but linebackers are easier to find later in the draft than defensive ends.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 10:49 AM
If AJ Hawk and Mario Williams are both on the board, it's a no brainer, you take Williams.

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
If AJ Hawk and Mario Williams are both on the board, it's a no brainer, you take Williams.

Without question.

Moses
07-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Without question.

Not if you're the Saints in my opinion. They already have 2 elite DEs...

If Bush isn't available to them, Hawk is the pick.

Shiver
07-26-2007, 11:15 AM
Mario Williams was the consensus 2nd player, and about 1/4 had him #1. Tennessee would have taken him over Leinart, I believe.

Moses
07-26-2007, 11:31 AM
Mario Williams was the consensus 2nd player, and about 1/4 had him #1. Tennessee would have taken him over Leinart, I believe.

Hard to say but I think it was pretty clear that they wanted a quarterback.

P-L
07-26-2007, 11:52 AM
I also think Tennessee would've taken Jay Cutler over Matt Leinart had they still gone with a QB. At least it was indicated that most of the coaching staff (except for Chow) preferred Cutler over Young and Leinart.

AlexDown
07-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Hmmm. I was pretty happy that the Texans picked Mario over Bush. I felt that if they picked Bush, NO would have went with D'Brickashaw. Am I wrong? Who do you think NO would have picked?

Moses
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
Hmmm. I was pretty happy that the Texans picked Mario over Bush. I felt that if they picked Bush, NO would have went with D'Brickashaw. Am I wrong? Who do you think NO would have picked?

New Orleans was set to pick A.J. Hawk, or that's what was reported and made sense anyway.

jackalope
07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
I had been hoping that Williams would fall to the Packers, but in hindsight I think we're better off with Hawk.

AlexDown
07-26-2007, 01:01 PM
New Orleans was set to pick A.J. Hawk, or that's what was reported and made sense anyway.

I was debating that with Keak when he was here. He said they would go with D'Brickashaw. As a Jets fan, hearing that the Texans picked Williams made me very very happy.

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I was debating that with Keak when he was here. He said they would go with D'Brickashaw. As a Jets fan, hearing that the Texans picked Williams made me very very happy.

They already had their young, stud LT.

Scott Wright
07-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Wow, good question and honestly it's almost impossible to say because the scenario was never even a possibility since the Texans ruled Vince Young out pretty early in the process.

Had Reggie Bush not been there I think the Saints might have taken A.J. Hawk at #2, although they were also looking at Mario Williams.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Imagine Mario Williams lining up opposite of Will Smith! That would be a better combo than Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan.

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Imagine Mario Williams lining up opposite of Will Smith! That would be a better combo than Osi Umenyiora and Michael Strahan.

Charles Grant isn't exactly a slouch.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Charles Grant isn't exactly a slouch.
I'm not saying he's a slouch, but come on, Mario Williams or Charles Grant? It's not much of a decision.

I know Williams hasn't done anything yet in the league, but he will be a top 5 DE in the league in a year or two.

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I'm not saying he's a slouch, but come on, Mario Williams or Charles Grant? It's not much of a decision.

I know Williams hasn't done anything yet in the league, but he will be a top 5 DE in the league in a year or two.

That's a bit excessive. He hasn't shown anything on the field to warrant a prediction like that. Grant is already a top-notch DE.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 02:03 PM
Not if you're the Saints in my opinion. They already have 2 elite DEs...

If Bush isn't available to them, Hawk is the pick.

Saints management has said that if Bush was selected #1 they would've taken Hawk no doubt; then Williams would've been selected by Green bay

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:41 PM

Really? I just don't see it, and the Titans were in desperate, desperate need of a franchise QB. The USC connection between Matty and Chow would have sealed the deal too, I think

Scott Wright
07-26-2007, 04:33 PM

Wow, I would take Charles Grant over Mario Williams any day of the week.

Granted Williams has more long-term potential but Grant has already proven that he's one of the 10-15 best players in the league at his position.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Wow, I would take Charles Grant over Mario Williams any day of the week.

Granted Williams has more long-term potential but Grant has already proven that he's one of the 10-15 best players in the league at his position.
I'd take Mario Williams. He had a mediocre rookie season and people are all over his case. Don't forget what kind of physical speciman this kid is. Sure he has yet to put it together, but once he does, he'll be head and shoulders above what Charles Grant ever was or ever will be.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-26-2007, 04:54 PM
First it should be noted that the Texans were going either Bush or Williams. Young wasn't in the running from what I know.

Even so, hypothetically:

1. Texans - Vince Young
2. Saints - Reggie Bush
3. Titans - Matt Leinart

That's my guess anyway.

This is probably my guess. I'm not sure what Tennessee would have done, but I'm at least reasonably sure they would have gone with a quarterback. It would interesting to see what would happen outside the top 5 though. Does San Francisco still go with Vernon Davis? Does Oakland go for Hawk over Huff? If so, that means Buffalo likely goes for Huff, so does that mean Detroit goes with Whitner (which was rumored)? Then there's the rumor that Arizona was wanting to draft Sims (which would make no sense with the recent decision to go to a 3-4, but at the time could very well have been the pick.

Moses
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I'd take Mario Williams. He had a mediocre rookie season and people are all over his case. Don't forget what kind of physical speciman this kid is. Sure he has yet to put it together, but once he does, he'll be head and shoulders above what Charles Grant ever was or ever will be.

Williams is a good player but why would the Saints bank on a defensive end outplaying their already formidable DE duo instead of picking up a similarly talented player in Hawk? Grant/Smith is about as good as it gets when it comes to DE duos. Williams would be considered a success if he ever developed into a player like Grant or Smith.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I'm just glad it happened like it did. I love Cutler.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Williams is a good player but why would the Saints bank on a defensive end outplaying their already formidable DE duo instead of picking up a similarly talented player in Hawk? Grant/Smith is about as good as it gets when it comes to DE duos. Williams would be considered a success if he ever developed into a player like Grant or Smith.
I would attempt to trade Grant and take Mario Williams. I know trading a player is easier said than done, but i'd at least make an attempt. You said yourself, Linebackers can be found later in the draft. I'm not sure how much upside Charles Grant has left, but Mario Williams has the upside to be a Julius Peppers / Michael Strahan type of player. Otherwise, he wouldn't be the #1 pick in a loaded draft. If Bush were off the board, I would take Williams. AJ Hawk is not worth the #2 overall pick.

Moses
07-26-2007, 06:33 PM
I would attempt to trade Grant and take Mario Williams. I know trading a player is easier said than done, but i'd at least make an attempt. You said yourself, Linebackers can be found later in the draft. I'm not sure how much upside Charles Grant has left, but Mario Williams has the upside to be a Julius Peppers / Michael Strahan type of player. Otherwise, he wouldn't be the #1 pick in a loaded draft. If Bush were off the board, I would take Williams. AJ Hawk is not worth the #2 overall pick.

You are in the minority if you would trade a proven top 15 DE and try to replace him with a rookie. That makes little to no sense.

Pit Bull #53
07-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Fisher said after the draft Mario was the #2 player on their board behind Bush. Who knows if they would've taken him over a QB though.

Ravens1991
07-26-2007, 07:28 PM
ricky bobby, AJ Hawk was arguably the smallest risk in the draft, while you need LB badly and you have 2 top 15 DE and have a chance at taking a perenial pro bowl LB I would go with the LB.

neko4
07-26-2007, 07:35 PM

AJ Hawk has certainly proven to be a great pick and is arguably the most sucessful of the top 5 picks, and coming into the draft was the safest pick in the draft

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm not trying to degrade AJ Hawk, I loved him in college, but I wouldn't spend the #2 overall pick on him. If I was in charge of the Saints, and Bush was off the board, I would try to trade down to #5 and then take Hawk. If that failed and I had to stay put, I would take Williams. Linebackers are not a very hot commodity in the draft, you can find a solid LB later in the draft. Look at the Defensive Player of the year last year, Demeco Ryans, Second round pick. A guy with the physical ability of Williams comes along Oh I don't know....twice every century!

Sniper
07-26-2007, 08:00 PM

For now? Grant would be a no-brainer, considering he's actually done something in the league. For potential it's Mario.

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:41 PM

From what I recall (assuming Young and Bush went as you have them)

3. Tennessee - The nod probably, in the end, would've been to Leinart, although they had Cutler graded fairly close. It was going to be QB no matter what.
4. New York Jets - Gut feeling here says they would've followed the board and gone with Mario Williams.
5. Green Bay - I think it was AJ Hawk all the way there. The caveat is that D'Brickashaw Ferguson was on board, and someone might've dealt up for him at that point.

Just a guess, though. Countless rumors and talk abounded.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Saints management has said that if Bush was selected #1 they would've taken Hawk no doubt

This is correct.

Shiver
08-02-2007, 11:39 PM
For now? Grant would be a no-brainer, considering he's actually done something in the league. For potential it's Mario.

What has he really done? He's solid, at best. It's Will Smith that is the stud.

Sniper
08-02-2007, 11:43 PM

Still more than Mario's done.

Flyboy
08-02-2007, 11:45 PM

You're underrating Charles Grant, Shiver. Does he have the potential of a Mario Williams, no, but that doesn't mean he won't be a superior player when their careers are over either.

Iamcanadian
08-03-2007, 11:31 AM

Even so, hypothetically:

1. Texans - Vince Young
2. Saints - Reggie Bush
3. Titans - Matt Leinart

That's my guess anyway.

This looks about right. A DE is so much more important than an OLB that there is no way GB passes on Mario.

saintsfan912
08-04-2007, 04:19 PM

The Saints already have an All Pro LT in Jammal Brown. Brown is a far better player than Ferguson will ever be, mark those words.

draftguru151
08-04-2007, 05:00 PM
The Saints already have an All Pro LT in Jammal Brown. Brown is a far better player than Ferguson will ever be, mark those words.

At that time Brown never even took a snap at LT, and was just a good young RT. So they already had Brown, but not an all pro LT. And for the Ferguson comment, I'm sure that had nothing to do with you being a Saints fan. :/

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 10:41 AM
I think the Saints would've picked Hawk, but they should've picked Mario, Let Mario sit behind Grant and Will Smith and learn the nuances of the position, get him in the game as a pass rushing UT, and then trade Grant next year. Or see if Grant or Mario could slide inside and play some DT.

BrownsTown
08-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Wow, the people who say they should have taken Williams are just stupid. That'd be like the Cardinals taking Calvin Johnson if they were at that spot this year. He's really good, but damn man, they already got two really good ones. There'd be no place to put him.

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 09:00 PM
Wow, the people who say they should have taken Williams are just stupid. That'd be like the Cardinals taking Calvin Johnson if they were at that spot this year. He's really good, but damn man, they already got two really good ones. There'd be no place to put him.

A) Grant is by no means the stud that Mario should become in the next 2 years.

B) Grant has good trade value.

C) Either Grant or Mario could spend time at the UT spot and you can never have too many pass rushers, since mario could use a year to develop, so you.

I dunno about you but I'd rather have two great DEs and very good LB, whom you could get in a trade for Grant than a great DE and LB and a good DE.

BrownsTown
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
A) Grant is by no means the stud that Mario should become in the next 2 years.

B) Grant has good trade value.

C) Either Grant or Mario could spend time at the UT spot and you can never have too many pass rushers, since mario could use a year to develop, so you.

I dunno about you but I'd rather have two great DEs and very good LB, whom you could get in a trade for Grant than a great DE and LB and a good DE.

So, do you think if the Cards were in position to take Calvin Johnson this year, they should have traded away Anquan Boldin and drafted him?

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 09:59 PM
So, do you think if the Cards were in position to take Calvin Johnson this year, they should have traded away Anquan Boldin and drafted him?

See to me those are different situations, Boldin is still very young and super star WR, while Grant is just a good DE, not a great one. I think that a fairer situation would've been a team like the colts where Marvin's great and Wayne is very good, just not great.

BrownsTown
08-05-2007, 10:00 PM
See to me those are different situations, Boldin is still very young and super star WR, while Grant is just a good DE, not a great one. I think that a fairer situation would've been a team like the colts where Marvin's great and Wayne is very good, just not great.

Still, you just don't trade that guy because it's so easy for it to blow up in your face.

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Still, you just don't trade that guy because it's so easy for it to blow up in your face.

Oh I know, i'd take the rookie, let him sit and learn, while rotating him in to get experience and give the other guys a breather and then in a year if you feel he's developed enough, you then trade the vet. Which is why I was mentioning how the saints could've tried to get all three of those guys on the field at the same time.