PDA

View Full Version : Odell Denied Reinstatement!

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2007, 10:44 AM
Apparently he's not only been denied but has had another year added to his suspension, check the Bengals front page.

This is SERIOUS BS! My god, how can ANYONE convince me what he did off field was in any way worse than what Henry did and he is set to recieve over a year more in suspension than Henry.

Goodell went WAY overboard on this one... The man served his year and from all accounts seemed reformed and he just punishes him even further to "make a point" even though the punishment doesn't fit the crime.

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 10:49 AM
To me that bull. Goodell is taking everything too far, I want the old NFL back where players could leave their feet for celebrations and such.

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
Haha OK that says it all a Steeler fan is backing me up, I completely don't feel like a homer. Seriously though, Henry was WAAAAAAAY worse off field and got less yet Goodell suspends Odell 2 freaking years. AHHH this annoys me.

J24
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
What puzzels me about this is Odell could have actually been a good story for the NFl if he came back and played well he could actually be a good image for the NFL.

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I would really like to hope they NFLPA will step in but I don't see anything happening.

themaninblack
07-26-2007, 08:22 PM
that is terrible. i have heard he has been doing really well in his program and to take this young man out of football for another year could be disastrous not only for his FB career, but for his life.

rickscott
07-26-2007, 09:25 PM
I think Odell should sue the NFL. I'm serious. Unless he's been in a bunch of stuff we don't know about and wasn't charged with, there is no justification for this. Maybe the story about the party actually occurred and the parties were paid off not to prosecute, that is the only thing I can think that would cause this. Pacman better get a life sentence if Odell's sentence sticks.

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I think Odell should sue the NFL. I'm serious. Unless he's been in a bunch of stuff we don't know about and wasn't charged with, there is no justification for this. Maybe the story about the party actually occurred and the parties were paid off not to prosecute, that is the only thing I can think that would cause this. Pacman better get a life sentence if Odell's sentence sticks.

PFT reported that there was no payoff and that's Steelerville, they bash the Bengals with every chance they get. That case in anyones sane mind should be mute at this point given what's become of it.

Pacman and Henry have done 10X the things Odell has and Odell gets 2 freaking years, there's no way to describe how wrong this is.

I_C_DeadPeople
07-27-2007, 08:48 AM
PFT reported that there was no payoff and that's Steelerville, they bash the Bengals with every chance they get. That case in anyones sane mind should be mute at this point given what's become of it.

Pacman and Henry have done 10X the things Odell has and Odell gets 2 freaking years, there's no way to describe how wrong this is.

Keep in mind that Odell lost the first year under the substance abuse policy and Henry and Pacman are under the 'conduct' policy. Apples and oranges. No one knows what the EXACT stipulations were that he (Odell) had to comply with in order to be granted reinstatement. I think it is obvious that he did not satisfy all the requirements regardless of what was said in public. Goodell is not an idiot - I am sure he would love to have a post suspension poster boy to show that the program works.

The only thing that seems odd to me is that Odell filed his reinstatement papers a month before the deadline. That would seem to indicate he was under the impression he met all the conditions.

There also is no doubt that Odell and his lawyer were told WHY he is not being reinstated - the appeal would address that I suppose.

Bengals78
07-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Goodell is being a bully. That's it. He is being mean and a bully. Odell skipped a test. Ok, he was suspended four (4) games. DUI then out the season. Supposedly got in some other incident but no other charges were made. With the stuff Thurman has done to get back, ie rehab, he should be reinstated. I loved what Goodell had done up until he un-rightfuly suspends a man for basically no reason. It is BS.

Bengals78
07-27-2007, 02:03 PM
What puzzels me about this is Odell could have actually been a good story for the NFl if he came back and played well he could actually be a good image for the NFL.

Yeah he could have been. But Goodell is on his period or something this week.

themaninblack
07-27-2007, 09:53 PM
well if nothing else we get him and david pollack(hopefully if hes cleared) back next year. can you say domination?

PalmerToCJ
07-27-2007, 10:15 PM
lol well one guy who hasn't played in 2 years and another who is coming off an extremely serious injury... I'm not getting my hopes up haha.

You know I think their contracts might be up in '09 so really we could only get 2 years out of them, probably Odells rookie year will be the only good one they had. Just how it goes I suppose.

This still pisses me off extremely bad, I'm fine with Henry's suspension but there's no justification for this.

themaninblack
07-27-2007, 10:20 PM
im just trying to remain positive about the whole thing. i think Odell will end up being back this season anyway. And i was the last person to believe david was coming back and refused to believe it until i heard it from him face to face and i did.

neko4
07-27-2007, 11:10 PM
What did he do again?

Bengals78
07-28-2007, 09:57 AM
What did he do again?

Odell skipped a drug test. Suspended 4 games. DUI. Out the season.
Went to AA. Clean now by all reports. 2 idiots tried to get some money outta him by claiming he beat them. Only their stories were different and everything was dropped.

David, he broke his neck.

neko4
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Odell skipped a drug test. Suspended 4 games. DUI. Out the season.
Went to AA. Clean now by all reports. 2 idiots tried to get some money outta him by claiming he beat them. Only their stories were different and everything was dropped.

David, he broke his neck.

Well than this is BS

Bengals78
07-28-2007, 01:27 PM
yeah it's terrible. By these standards Vick should be suspended for life. He shouldn't be unless found guilty. What Thurman did pales in comparison

Desert
07-31-2007, 05:04 PM
I think it was mentioned before, but by far the most baffling part of all this is that it would have been perfect timing for Goodell to answer the Vick crap with (as far as we all know) Odell's reformation. I imagine the meeting ending something like this:

"Yes, yes, that Vick (or is it Mexico?) character really screwed up this time, so why don't we all praise Mr. Thurman instead? What? Because no one cares if a rising player gets trashed, but heaven forbid our Vick the Great, the proud and noble face of our sport worldwide, actually be suspended! No, no! We will therefore suspend Mr. Thurman further for several well documented cases of not being a superstar, while requesting that Lord Vick attend to his personal matters exclusively until the media decides he's really ok (or that even if he isn't, he's still the best football player to ever grace this planet, so he HAS to be ok) and we can all go back to getting paid!"

Stupid.

Unless, of course, Thurman messed up again. Then he's stupid. Hehe.

PalmerToCJ
07-31-2007, 09:21 PM
Via his attorney or someone he hasn't failed a test to date.

I hope the appeal at least earns him back some games, I'd be happy if he only missed the first 8.

themaninblack
08-01-2007, 06:08 PM
he should at least be allowed to practice.

Aftermath
08-03-2007, 02:44 AM
Its over....

http://www.wlwt.com/news/13800771/detail.html

Goodbye Odell....

PalmerToCJ
08-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Wouldn't surprise me if he was cut, granted it's still entirely too harsh to give him another damn year for not seeing his officer.

I guess technically though he's not getting paid and doesn't take up a roster space so it doesn't hurt anything to keep him.

themaninblack
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
keep him. 10char

georgiafan
08-08-2007, 03:04 PM
Not sure if it's true, but I read on a Georiga message board that he was in jail agian today.

PalmerToCJ
08-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Not sure if it's true, but I read on a Georiga message board that he was in jail agian today.

It was for not seeing his probation officer.

PalmerToCJ
08-22-2007, 01:15 PM
A very interesting point I thought from a judge dealing with Odell's probation violation...

Judge in Odell Thurman Case Blasts NFL For Beer Advertising, Sales

Odell Thurman appeared before a judge this morning for a hearing about his probation violation.

That hearing was continued but the judge in the case, John Burlew, made a statement concerning the NFL and its beer advertisements.

The suspended player missed an appointment with a probation officer in connection with his arrest last year on charges of drunk driving.

Officials say Thurman failed to show up for the meeting just days before he learned the NFL would not reinstate him this season.

In court today, Judge Burlew told Thurman, "It upsets me more than anything else and, primarily with your employer, the National Football League. The allegations are that you had an illegal substance, alcohol, in your body. A substance they advertise and take money from, millions of dollars a year. They're hypocrites. If they are really interested in pursuing this issue, they'd give everybody who went to that stadium and comes out of it a breathalizer, but they won't do it because they want the money."

themaninblack
08-22-2007, 06:08 PM
i think he'll win his suit against the NFL and hopefully be back in the black sooner rather than later.