PDA

View Full Version : SI.com top 10 hitters in the NFL

Go_Eagles77
07-26-2007, 01:44 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/top10.hitters.today.nfl/content.1.html

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:45 PM
That's actually a quality list. Not much I disagree with off the top of my head.

Shiver
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Rodney Harrison has barely been on the field the past two years. That's my main beef with this list.

23trufant
07-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Ken Hamlin should get an honorable mention. He and Roy Williams are going to be scary...... and terrible in coverage.

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Rodney Harrison has barely been on the field the past two years. That's my main beef with this list.

That's the only one I explicitly disagreed with really. Trying to think of who I would put on to replace him.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 01:47 PM
Thats a quality list. Cringe at the thought of getting hit by one of them.

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I think Merriman could be a bit higher also. Probably #2.

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Bob Sanders is a good hitter but number 5 is way too high, he shouldnt be in the top 20. He is a very solid tackler but he is not the 5th hardest hitter in the league.

Go_Eagles77
07-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Interesting that the top 3 are all in the NFC East

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Interesting that the top 3 are all in the NFC East

Don't want to cut across the middle of the field against any of those teams.

Turtlepower
07-26-2007, 01:54 PM
I was surprised to see SI do that list well. When I first saw the thread the two names I thought of were Sean Taylor and Roy Williams and they happened to be 1 and 2 respectively.

cardsalltheway
07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
Adalius's face in that picture is priceless

Moses
07-26-2007, 01:55 PM
I was surprised to see SI do that list well. When I first saw the thread the two names I thought of were Sean Taylor and Roy Williams and they happened to be 1 and 2 respectively.

I think it should be:

1. Sean Taylor
2. Shawne Merriman
3. Roy Williams

Splat
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Bernard Pollard will be on this list next year bet that.

YAYareaRB
07-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Bob Sanders is a good hitter but number 5 is way too high, he shouldnt be in the top 20. He is a very solid tackler but he is not the 5th hardest hitter in the league.

Oh yes he is.. You obviously don't watch much Colts games.

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM
Oh yes he is.. You obviously don't watch much Colts games.

agree to disagree.

remix 6
07-26-2007, 01:58 PM

last 3 years
Bob Sanders: 24/48 games
Harrison: 29/48 games
Ray Lewis: 35/48 games
i know i added 1 year to your thing when u said last 2 but yeah..

HoopsDemon12
07-26-2007, 01:59 PM
For once i dont really have to big a complaint with any of those... i love taylor as the number 1... im trying to think who you could put on instead of harrison though... Bart Scott?... ummm John Lynch maybe could be considered border line still.. i mean he cant cover but he can still hit

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I would put Terrell Suggs, Derrick Johnson, Jonathan Vilma, DeMarcus Ware over Rodney Harrison

Moses
07-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I would put Terrell Suggs, Derrick Johnson, Jonathan Vilma, DeMarcus Ware over Rodney Harrison

Derrick Johnson and Jonathan Vilma? You kidding? They both are not big hitters at all.

Hines
07-26-2007, 02:05 PM
good list imo

scar988
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM

and I first thought of Dawkins and Ray Lewis who were 3 and 10...

Splat
07-26-2007, 02:06 PM
Derrick Johnson and Jonathan Vilma? You kidding? They both are not big hitters at all.

Tell that to Brain Westbrook or Jake Plummer DJ lit them up he should not be on the list I agree but he can hit. If he was still on the team I might say Sammy Knight that guy can still hit he can't cover but man can he light people up.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4744/832738321lor5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM

Derrick Johnson is a big hitter but he def does not deserve to be in the top 10, top 15 for that matter. Now although he dosent belong on that list to say he isnt a big hitter is ludacris.

Hines
07-26-2007, 02:12 PM
i think in a few years anthony smith could be on there

Moses
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Derrick Johnson is a big hitter but he def does not deserve to be in the top 10, top 15 for that matter. Now although he dosent belong on that list to say he isnt a big hitter is ludacris.

Are you watching the same player as me? Johnson is a wrap-up tackler. He doesn't knock guys blocks off, at least not regularly. He's a bit lanky and is not known for running around and crushing guys.

Splat
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I agree DJ is a wrap up tackler and should not be on the list but to say he can't make people "Jacked Up" is wrong he can and has from time to time he is just more of a text book tackler.

remix 6
07-26-2007, 02:23 PM
i think in a few years anthony smith could be on there

**** withj Anthony Smith. u overrate him tremendously. u squeelers keep saying: in a few years he'll be t he best cover safety..biggest hitter. ****. he aint god. shut up about him

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Are you watching the same player as me? Johnson is a wrap-up tackler. He doesn't knock guys blocks off, at least not regularly. He's a bit lanky and is not known for running around and crushing guys.

Being a wrapup tackler dosent mean you arent a hard hitter. Just because he wraps up and you dont see the other player hit the ground imediately doesnt mean that DJ didnt lay the wood, he comes in fast, hits you hard, wraps up and falls on you. He's a good hitter. Again, he isnt a top 20 big hitter but he is a big hitter.

Hines
07-26-2007, 02:26 PM
**** withj Anthony Smith. u overrate him tremendously. u squeelers keep saying: in a few years he'll be t he best cover safety..biggest hitter. ****. he aint god. shut up about him

ok first off i never said he was god

second off i said that he COULD be on this list..that means 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1..i said could and he has the potential too.never said he will..just said could..hell if people are saying derrick johnson then why not anthony smith...i think hes a good cover saftey never said he was the best..so stop trying to compare me to the other steeler fans taht are saying that...

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 02:27 PM
I agree DJ is a wrap up tackler and should not be on the list but to say he can't make people "Jacked Up" is wrong he can and has from time to time he is just more of a text book tackler.

Exactly, just because he's textbook dosent mean he dosent lay the wood.

neko4
07-26-2007, 02:29 PM
I think Ray Ray and Rodney should switch spots, but thats about it

ATLDirtyBirds
07-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I think it should be:

1. Sean Taylor
2. Shawne Merriman
3. Roy Williams

That would be my top 3 as well.

Giantsfan1080
07-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Guys who launch themselves look like they are hitting harder when in reality sometimes they aren't. DJ doesn't launch himself so thats why there looks like a difference.

OhioState
07-26-2007, 02:35 PM
no urlacher?

neko4
07-26-2007, 02:36 PM
no urlacher?

i thought that as well

Modano
07-26-2007, 02:38 PM

Ware isn't a great hitter, neither. He's a great tackler, and he never misses a tackle but he doens't deliver big hits so often.. Honestly I've seen all games Ware has played in the NFL and I don't remember a single one big hit by him...

Moses
07-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Ware isn't a great hitter, neither. He's a great tackler, and he never misses a tackle but he doens't deliver big hits so often.. Honestly I've seen all games Ware has played in the NFL and I don't remember a single one big hit by him...

His size/speed combination makes his hits a lot harder than a Vilma/Johnson though. Just getting hit by that big of a man at that speed will leave you gasping for breath.

I just don't see Vilma or Johnson as "big hitters". They tackle well but it's not like they put fear into opposing players.

steelernation77
07-26-2007, 02:49 PM

I disagree. Anthony Smith most certainly IS god.

Modano
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
His size/speed combination makes his hits a lot harder than a Vilma/Johnson though. Just getting hit by that big of a man at that speed will leave you gasping for breath.

Yes that's true, but he doesn't have the occasion to hit a guy full speed, he's more of wrap-up tackler. The biggest hit he had in his NFL career was the one he made on Peyton Manning, when the OL didn't block him and he ran free at him forcing a fumble.

It's the first play in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh5fSWBcx7o

A Perfect Score
07-26-2007, 03:05 PM
he isnt the player he used to be...but john lynch deserves to be on that list much more then rodney harrison does...lynch still knocks people the **** out. Of course, he cant cover at all anymore, but that isnt the point of this thread...lynch should for sure be on there

no love
07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Where is Michael Lewis on this? I remember some pretty good hits a couple of years ago before he was benched by Philly.

neko4
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
Where is Michael Lewis on this? I remember some pretty good hits a couple of years ago before he was benched by Philly.

Key word right there

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Ken Hamlin deserved consideration for this list

TheChampIsHere
07-26-2007, 05:04 PM
Sean Taylor number 1 cant argue with that

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 05:25 PM
no urlacher?

Actually when healthy Mike Brown is a harder hitter pound for pound. Hell Archuleta probably is too. Not to say that Urlacher can't knock the hell out of people, but he's not even the hardest hitter pound for pound on the team.

Actually Todd Johnson can destroy people..unfortunately for him he's not good enough in coverage to ever be anything more than a backup/special teams player in the league.

skinzzfan25
07-26-2007, 06:57 PM
ST is no question number one, but SI didn't even both to put him in the top 10 most feared? Typical of SI...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0608/gallery.nfl.most.feared/content.1.html

http://sports-dome.com/Graphics/gifs/NFL/SeanTaylor.gif

broncs2bowl
07-26-2007, 07:10 PM
JOHN LYNCH are u kidding that is like that reason why he is known so well. Just ask like all the players in Cincinati he completly took over and won us that game.This is blasphemy

LarryJohnson27
07-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Bernard Pollard will be on this list next year bet that.

Most deffinitely

broncs2bowl
07-26-2007, 08:10 PM
pollard is a punk

ShutDwn
07-26-2007, 11:36 PM

I would think Peppers is the same way. He doesn't blow running backs up, he hits QBs pretty hard but he tackles them and try strip the ball.

dcarey20
07-27-2007, 12:02 AM
I love Adalius but I think he's a bit high...He hits hard but I will say that Bart Scott hits like a truck, and harder than Thomas. Ray Lewis is also a bit low in my opinion.

Beans
07-27-2007, 12:06 AM
no john lynch!! bah!

Staubach12
07-27-2007, 12:28 AM
Sean Taylor left a yellow stain on Brian Moorman's pro bowl jersey from his facemask. Fun facts from Sports Illustrated the Magazine.

SuperMcGee
07-27-2007, 12:47 AM
Sean Taylor left a yellow stain on Brian Moorman's pro bowl jersey from his facemask. Fun facts from Sports Illustrated the Magazine.

Halfway through the post I thought you were making a joke saying Moorman peed himself. I'm glad to see that route was not taken.

nfrillman
07-27-2007, 02:48 AM
The "big hit" is always what makes the highlights, but I am not really a big fan of the "big hit" for one reason, 95% of the time it is delivered by using incorrect tackling. The "big hit" is almost always some guy launching is shoulders/arms/head at the opponents upper body, which is exactly what you are not supposed to do. The only position that should really lend itself to "big hits" are the safety positions if a WR is coming across the middle. Almost any other big hit is just a guy using a non-form tackle and having it luckily not backfire. For every "big hit" you see, you probably see 3 or 4 attempted big hits in which the ballcarrier just bounces off the guy and someone else has to tackle them.

On a semi-related note, does anyone else absolutely hate the way SI does their listing and power rankings, making you click through page after page. I don't really need a picture of each player, I am familiar with who they are.

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 03:13 AM

Have you ever seen Bob play? What you said is exactly opposite of how Bob plays. If anything, he's a human missile with decent tackling form.

As for the list, this is yet another thing at which Sean Taylor is overrated.

critesy
07-27-2007, 03:38 AM
Have you ever seen Bob play? What you said is exactly opposite of how Bob plays. If anything, he's a human missile with decent tackling form.

As for the list, this is yet another thing at which Sean Taylor is overrated.

overrated :confused: ??

if anything his coverage skills are overrated but to say his hitting skills...

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 03:42 AM
overrated :confused: ??

if anything his coverage skills are overrated but to say his hitting skills...

#1 in the NFL? He's not even the hardest hitting safety. Yes, he had the hit in the Pro Bowl, but that's one hit. Hell, go back a week, and Bob Sanders hit Ced Benson hard enough to force a fumble and take him out on the 2 touches of the Super Bowl that he had. I'm not saying Bob is the hardest hitting safety either (my vote goes to Dawkins), but if you want to judge by a small sample size like that, there are plenty of players with one or two great hits.

neko4
07-27-2007, 03:51 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk

critesy
07-27-2007, 03:57 AM
#1 in the NFL? He's not even the hardest hitting safety. Yes, he had the hit in the Pro Bowl, but that's one hit. Hell, go back a week, and Bob Sanders hit Ced Benson hard enough to force a fumble and take him out on the 2 touches of the Super Bowl that he had. I'm not saying Bob is the hardest hitting safety either (my vote goes to Dawkins), but if you want to judge by a small sample size like that, there are plenty of players with one or two great hits.

one or two great hits?!?!?

he's had like 10+ in all of years in the league.

roll the film

rookie season - http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8
second year - http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk (1:35 he kills lorenzo neal)
third year - http://redskins.torresa.com/videos/RedskinsDream.html (not a ST video but has lots of his hits)

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:05 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk

one or two great hits?!?!?

he's had like 10+ in all of years in the league.

roll the film

rookie season - http://youtube.com/watch?v=gj0rEv6Gfk8
second year - http://youtube.com/watch?v=KA3OzdmyVOk (1:35 he kills lorenzo neal)
third year - http://redskins.torresa.com/videos/RedskinsDream.html (not a ST video but has lots of his hits)

Brian Dawkins (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe5B8W8ZyR4)
Bob Sanders (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2hvkx7dHQQ) (unfortunately, he doesn't have the level of fanboyism working for him that Sean Taylor does, so this is him from college, still gets the point across)
Adrian Wilson (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3JBgdOFfc) (again, nowhere near the level of fanboyism of Taylor, so that's the best available)
Roy Williams (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg8VBDgGSxQ)

Your point?

critesy
07-27-2007, 04:09 AM
my point is in all 3 years he has been in the league he has made a poop load of huge hits.. not just one or two each year.

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:12 AM
my point is in all 3 years he has been in the league he has made a poop load of huge hits.. not just one or two each year.

My point was the list overrates him. You've yet to make a counterargument to that point, yet have disagreed with it. Do you plan on making one?

critesy
07-27-2007, 04:15 AM
whaaat, i've showed visual proof on why.. either that or i've mis-read something and need some sleep :( but i dont get it.

neko4
07-27-2007, 04:26 AM
My point was the list overrates him. You've yet to make a counterargument to that point, yet have disagreed with it. Do you plan on making one?

and all youve said is he's overated because he gets more publicity
Thats like calling a band a sellout because they profit

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:26 AM
whaaat, i've showed visual proof on why.. either that or i've mis-read something and need some sleep :( but i dont get it.

You showed highlight reels, which, as I said earlier, many players have (even backed it up by PROVIDING highlight reels of other players). To rate Taylor as the hardest hitter in the NFL IMO is ridiculous. That's not to say he's not a hard hitter (all your highlight reels really prove), but with Dawkins, Williams, Sanders, and Wilson all playing S, it's hard to say he's even the hardest hitter at his own position.

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:29 AM
and all youve said is he's overated because he gets more publicity

Actually it's completely different. Players do get overrated because of overexposure (such as being drafted #5 overall and called the best safety prospect in years). Bands sellout when they change their style of music to appease the mainstream, not when they make a profit. Completely different concepts there.

neko4
07-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Actually it's completely different. Players do get overrated because of overexposure (such as being drafted #5 overall and called the best safety prospect in years). Bands sellout when they change their style of music to appease the mainstream, not when they make a profit. Completely different concepts there.

I never said selling out was making a profit

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:37 AM
I never said selling out was making a profit

Huh? :confused:

neko4
07-27-2007, 04:44 AM
Huh? :confused:

Some people think that a band that profits (and gets a song played on MTV, and becomes popular etc) sells out, I was saying that you cant call Taylor overatted because he gets publicity. He doesnt tell people to make youtube vids of him, just like bands dont tell people to buy their cd's. Calling a band a sellout because they profit is wrong, just like calling him overated for getting publicity is. Do you not understand an analogy.
Anyway, there's no way of answearing this unless we went back and looked at both of their plays through the past year

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Calling a band a sellout because they profit is wrong, just like calling him overated for getting publicity is. Do you not understand an analogy.

I understand an analogy, it just needs to make sense. Your analogy doesn't work because a band doesn't have to sellout to be profitable, but a player basically has to be overexposed to be overrated.

Anyway, there's no way of answearing this unless we went back and looked at both of their plays through the past year

I have an extremely difficult time buying that the hardest hitter in the NFL is someone whose rank as the hardest hitter at his own position can be easily debated. If he's not the hardest hitter in the NFL, then he is overrated by this list. It's really that simple.

neko4
07-27-2007, 05:09 AM
All im saying is, you cant call him overated because he gets publicity and expousure and apparently he gets all the exposure because he's the hardest hitting S

Dam8610
07-27-2007, 05:13 AM
All im saying is, you cant call him overated because he gets publicity and expousure

That's what getting publicity and exposure does, so yes I can.

and apparently he gets all the exposure because he's the hardest hitting S

No, he gets all the exposure because he was a high draft pick who had great expectations coming in and people want him to succeed so they can say they were right about him.

skinzzfan25
07-27-2007, 09:53 AM
That's what getting publicity and exposure does, so yes I can.

No, he gets all the exposure because he was a high draft pick who had great expectations coming in and people want him to succeed so they can say they were right about him.

He gets that kind of exposure because he has the best skill set as his position.

Name another 6-2.5 225 safety that runs around a 4.4 coming out of college and I'll see your argument. He preforms well when he has a competent safety along side him. With Landry being the ballhawk that he is, Taylor can free roam more and not be as liable in coverage.

There's no way to measure how hard somebody hits, just when receivers go across the middle, they know who will be there ready to knock them on the floor.

Moses
07-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Taylor is the hardest hitter in the league. First of all, he has a ridiculous combination of size and speed. He is built for the big hit. Playing safety, he can get a huge run up on guys and demolish them with a combination of speed, power, and size. Also, he has one of the nastiest demeanors in the NFL. He wants to lay guys out and make them not want to get up. He hits consistently and he hits big.

The only player I could see an argument for is Shawne Merriman but he plays linebacker so it is harder for him to get big runs on guys. Dawkins is aging and not the hitter he once was. He's still good but even in his prime I don't think he could match Taylor. Sanders is pretty small but he can still lay guys out. Still, not on Taylor's level. Williams can really lay big hits on guys but I think Taylor does it more consistently.

cuzifelt1ikeit
07-27-2007, 10:38 AM
ray lewis's face is the best. hes smiling it looks like. hah

Wootylicous
07-27-2007, 10:41 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/all-time.hardest.hitters.nfl/content.1.html

Don't know if this have been posted but it's interesting too

cuzifelt1ikeit
07-27-2007, 10:49 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0707/all-time.hardest.hitters.nfl/content.1.html

Don't know if this have been posted but it's interesting too

gotta love LT's face too hes also smiling