PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Rookie of the Year Predictions

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 02:10 PM
This has been talked about at length before, but hadn't seen any discussion of it lately. Obviously it would make much more sense to discuss after camps\preseason, but it's always fun to predict these kinds of things, even at this time of year.

Offensive-Top Candidates(no order)
Dwayne Bowe-Apparently he had a bit of a shaky minicamp, but I'm confident Bowe will be starting come the beginning of the season. The more tape I see of him, the more impressed I am....he's a true physical specimen and a tremendous athlete with awesome hands (most of the time). The Chiefs don't have a whole lot to work with at WR, and I really see this guy having a big year. IMO, provided Huard and\or Croyle are tossing the skin with reasonable accuracy, 1,000+\8-10+ is not out of the question for Bowe.
Adrian Peterson-Probably a fixture on everyone's list, as he should be. The only things potentially standing in his way are a dismal passing game that will allow defenses to stack the box and the presence of Chester Taylor. The passing game should improve over last season (though still probably not be all that great) with the addition of Sidney Rice and the maturity of Tarvaris Jackson, and it is my belief that AD will replace Taylor atop the depth chart relatively early in the season, as he is just that good.
Marshawn Lynch-In one of the more advantageous situations of any rookie out there, coming to a team that just offloaded their franchise back. I don't think Lynch will ever be an elite NFL back, but he is definitely in a position to deliver right away in Buffalo and he's a tough,tough runner with great size and athleticism and a little speed to boot.
CJ-If there is ever a player in the NFL I have sympathized with, it's Mike Furrey, because no player deserves to be benched after leading the NFC in receptions and having a career year. CJ is just too good to not be starting when the season rolls around, and after adding an explosive Tatum Bell to the mix, the Lions are ready to win some games with their high powered offense. CJ will be an integral part of that, and may even be better than Roy Williams by season's end.
Greg Olsen-Perhaps the steal of the draft at 31, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Olsen had a huge year next year. Rex Grossman isn't exactly the ideal signal caller for him, but bad QB's\QB's that lack confidence tend to rely on their tight ends more than they should anyway, so that might help Olsen out.
Wild Cards
Ginn-I know he's got some work to do as a receiver, but his speed cannot be held back and I see him finding the endzone as a WR in his first year an appreciable number of times. Add in the minimum of 2 return td's (and yes I think that's basically a guarantee provided a full season with this guy) and a potential rushing TD or two, and I could see Ginn putting together a nice season flavored with the kind of versatility that the press ooos and awes over.
Sidney Rice-I know, I know. He's got a terrible QB and he's got some work to do. With those things said, I really believe Rice will be the second best WR out of this class when all is said and done, and maybe the Vikes passing game will wise up sooner than expected. If they do, watch out--Rice will take the league by storm. What people fail to realize about Sidney is just how good of an athlete he is. That special athleticism combined with his tremendous hands and absurdly good ability to adjust\torque his body in the air to adjust to balls is what made me put him on this list.

Pit Bull #53
07-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Even though it might be a popular pick, I'm gonna go with Marshawn.

Bearsfan123
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Brandon Jackson RB GB is a sleeper.
Craig Davis WR SD

LTgiants
07-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Steve Smith

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I went Marshawn Lynch on Offense and his teammate Paul Posluzsny on defense.

I have all my predictions in the link below BTW. A bit early, but what the heck.

neko4
07-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Calvin Johnson is still my pick

Shiver
07-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Brandon Jackson for Green Bay is my pick.

GoinDeepWithCJ
07-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Either Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson.

If Vernand Morency plays a large role in the Packers offense than I definetly see it going to Lynch.

Moses
07-26-2007, 02:51 PM
Two people have mentioned Jackson so far. Eerie. Most people don't even know about it.

He's a contender I suppose but Morency could easily get the bulk of the workload at HB which would diminish any chance Jackson would have at winning OROY.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Greg Olsen cause I'm a homer.

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Steve Smith

I actually almost put him on there, but Eli's struggles combined with the fact that Plax will be the #1 and Shockey will have a lot of grabs is going to compromise his ability to put up big numbers, even if he is polished, consistent, and ready to make an immediate impact

neko4
07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Brandon Jackson RB GB is a sleeper.
Craig Davis WR SD

Either Marshawn Lynch or Brandon Jackson.

If Vernand Morency plays a large role in the Packers offense than I definetly see it going to Lynch.

Two people have mentioned Jackson so far. Eerie. Most people don't even know about it.

He's a contender I suppose but Morency could easily get the bulk of the workload at HB which would diminish any chance Jackson would have at winning OROY.

I honestly dont understand the reasoning, but okay

Moses
07-26-2007, 02:58 PM

My reasoning?

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 02:59 PM

I don't really get it either. I could see him having a nice year, but OROY worthy? Probably not. As far as RB's go, AD and Marshawn easily have the best chance.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 03:07 PM
I like Marshawn because Buffalo has spent some money on that offensive line. The only other guys on that offense that are any good are JP Losman and Lee Evans. Hence, I believe a lot of their offensive success will lie on Marshawn Lynch and the running game.

draftguru151
07-26-2007, 03:08 PM
It's probably because people are expecting him to get a good amount of carries this year. Peterson has a very good back in front of him, if Taylor wasn't there there isn't a doubt in my mind he'd be getting the OROY.

Moses
07-26-2007, 03:09 PM
It's probably because people are expecting him to get a good amount of carries this year. Peterson has a very good back in front of him, if Taylor wasn't there there isn't a doubt in my mind he'd be getting the OROY.

What's Peterson's injury status? Is he expected to miss any time?

draftguru151
07-26-2007, 03:10 PM
I haven't seen anything about it so I suppose he's fine. Looked good in the workouts on ESPN.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I like two receivers possibly getting the award. First, Anthony Gonzalez will be the 3rd option for Peyton Manning and with his speed against lesser defenders he could have a big year. Jason Hill is my other choice. Darrell Jackson is there as their #1 and Vernon Davis at TE, but I think Hill can be the home run threat to replace Bryant in the 49ers offense.

neko4
07-26-2007, 03:13 PM
I like two receivers possibly getting the award. First, Anthony Gonzalez will be the 3rd option for Peyton Manning and with his speed against lesser defenders he could have a big year. Jason Hill is my other choice. Darrell Jackson is there as their #1 and Vernon Davis at TE, but I think Hill can be the home run threat to replace Bryant in the 49ers offense.

I think Arnaz will be able to hold the #2 spot for atleast another year

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:15 PM

Still, does Jackson really have the "goods" (at least right now) to put up a huge season? I don't think so

Also, Taylor is a great back, but I see Peterson getting 75% of the carries (just think he is way too good to not be the feature back), and that, IMO, will be enough for him to put up a big enough season.

draftguru151
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM
Yea I'm not agreeing with them, I just see their reasoning. I think Jackson can have a solid year but not anywhere near rookie of the year numbers.

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:17 PM

I agree that Gonzo will have a nice year, but a big enough year to win the OROY? No way, just not enough production\big enough numbers.

Hill will fall a bit short too I think, even under the most ideal circumstances (i.e. Alex Smith having a career year)

PoopSandwich
07-26-2007, 03:26 PM
My boy Adrian Peterson.

no love
07-26-2007, 03:34 PM
There will definitely have to be injuries for hill to get some quality PT. Although, Lelie has already been injured for a while. And Battle seems to always get dinged up. Jackson has been nursing his turf toe since last year and is still not ready to go.

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 03:44 PM
There will definitely have to be injuries for hill to get some quality PT. Although, Lelie has already been injured for a while. And Battle seems to always get dinged up. Jackson has been nursing his turf toe since last year and is still not ready to go.

so the chance will certainly be there

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 03:50 PM
OROTY- Dwayne Jarrett
DROTY- Lawrence Timmons

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 03:52 PM
OROTY- Dwayne Jarrett
DROTY- Lawrence Timmons

I like the DROY pick, but there is just no way Jarrett will put up worthy numbers, he's just not good enough and Steve Smith will be the focal point of the offense, as always

Man_Of_Steel
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Buffalos gonna run marshawn into the ground, gotta go with Lynch.

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 03:56 PM
I like the DROY pick, but there is just no way Jarrett will put up worthy numbers, he's just not good enough and Steve Smith will be the focal point of the offense, as always
Thats the reason why I picked him, teams will be focusing on stopping Smith that they wont put much attention on Jarrett. Jarrett is there only redzone threat and last year they didn't have anyone to pass it to on 3rd downs, who do you think will solve that? Dwayne Jarrett.

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Buffalos gonna run marshawn into the ground, gotta go with Lynch.

You do know that they still have Anthony Thomas on there team which means they will run a 2 running back system. Lynch on 1-2 downs and Thomas in redzone/3rd downs to pound it in there.

Samething goes with AD they have Taylor on there team, they are not going to waste money on him to make him the 2nd guy, they will use the Saints scheme, AD will line up as a WR. They tried him as a WR in the combine and they like what he could do. But they are the Vikings so I could be wrong.

schmiddog
07-26-2007, 04:03 PM
Thats the reason why I picked him, teams will be focusing on stopping Smith that they wont put much attention on Jarrett. Jarrett is there only redzone threat and last year they didn't have anyone to pass it to on 3rd downs, who do you think will solve that? Dwayne Jarrett.

Smith will still have a huge year, and Jarrett, despite increased opportunity as a result of teams focusing on Smith at times, is just not good enough to put up the type of numbers necessary to win.

San Diego Chicken
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
If Jon Kitna logs close to 600 pass attempts again this season, or anything even approaching that, Calvin Johnson will have a huge season. Kevin Jones is going to miss some time and the Lions running game was bad even with him, so I don't see why they won't be throwing the ball any less.

draftguru151
07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
You do know that they still have Anthony Thomas on there team which means they will run a 2 running back system. Lynch on 1-2 downs and Thomas in redzone/3rd downs to pound it in there.

Samething goes with AD they have Taylor on there team, they are not going to waste money on him to make him the 2nd guy, they will use the Saints scheme, AD will line up as a WR. They tried him as a WR in the combine and they like what he could do. But they are the Vikings so I could be wrong.

If both of them are on the field at the same time Taylor will be the one at WR more often than Peterson.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 05:16 PM
If Jon Kitna logs close to 600 pass attempts again this season, or anything even approaching that, Calvin Johnson will have a huge season. Kevin Jones is going to miss some time and the Lions running game was bad even with him, so I don't see why they won't be throwing the ball any less.

If that's the case the Lions will win about 3-4 games again. Usually teams that win the OROY have to prove that they've help win a few games for their teams (see Vince Young)

VY10
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
I'm picking Marshawn. I like his style of running a lot for some reason.