PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Notes

WMD
07-26-2007, 02:16 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/07/blog_impressions_from_the_firs.html

Impressions from the first day of training camp ...

-There are five players on the PUP list: Kevin Jones, Shaun Rogers, Shaun McDonald, Dan Campbell and Devale Ellis. Jones is expected to be on the list the longest and probably the only candidate to possibly miss the first six regular season games. Ellis could also be sidelined for awhile, but the other three could come back at any time.

-Brian Calhoun did not practice this morning, but is expected to work out this afternoon.

-There's no question Rogers looked overweight but, with apologizies to bishopdon, I don't think he looked terrible. Jones was also packing on a few extra pounds and, as I said a few days ago, that means he'll need a few extra weeks after his foot is completely healthy to get into football-playing shape.

-There were two roster moves: Marcus Robinson was placed on the injured reserve list and is lost of the year (I'm still trying to find out the exact reason). Also, Shawn Bryson was released because he failed the physical (knee).

-Damien Woody is back at the starting right guard position. He looks in pretty good shape and, in talking to him afterward, he's definitely serious aboute getting his reputation back.

-Casey FitzSimmons is playing a great deal at the fullback and flex positions

-With Dan Campbell sidelined, Eric Beverly is the starting tight end. Sean McHugh also got a lot of work in the two-tight end sets.

-MLB Paris Lenon made an excellent play during team drills when he knocked away a pass from RB Tatum Bell who was coming out of the backfield and then tried to cut across the middle.

-There wasn't a great deal of hitting on the first day, but WLB Ernie Sims delivered a pretty good pop to WR Edell Shepherd.

-Dan Orlovsky took the No. 2 snaps at quarterback but Drew Stanton got some work, too. In an hour or two, I'll have more on Stanton's first day -- I thought it was pretty interesting.

-Stanley Wilson and Fernando Bryant lined up as the starting cornerbacks and Bryant made several good plays in coverage.

-Jon Kitna looked extremely sharp and accurate for the first day of camp. He was very decisive in his reads, got rid of the ball quickly and was usually on target.

-Apparently, offensive coordinator Mike Martz doesn't believe in easing into the first day of camp. The offense was running a ton of different plays utilizing an assortment of formations, shifts and motions. I couldn't see that anything was scaled back. More will be added as camp continues, but the players have already been hit with a full load.

-The starting linebackers are Sims, Lenon and Boss Bailey and all three of them made some plays, especially in the passing game. Bailey made a very good instinctive and athletic play when he made a nice outside pass drop and then leaped high in the air to bat away a pass on a deeper "out'' route. The backups are Anthony Cannon (WLB), Teddy Lehman (MLB) and Alex Lewis (SLB). Cannon jumped out on a few plays and you can clearly see his development from a year ago.

-Backup tackle Shaun Cody, who played the nose in Rogers' absence today, has changed his hairstyle again. He was shaved bald as a rookie, had a full mop of hair last year and then had a mohawk during this off-season. Now, his short-styled haircut has been dyed blonde.

-The Lions are expected to bring in former Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball, who will get a shot to land a job as a receiver.

-By the way, with Woody back in the fold and Stephen Peterman moved to backup guard, the Lions are now using Rex Tucker as a backup right tackle.

-T.J. Duckett is still running with the ball high and tight, a la former Giants RB Tiki Barber. Duckett looks very good, very solid. He's going to be a load in the Lions short-yardage and goal-line rushing attack.

JPLUFF
07-26-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2007/07/blog_impressions_from_the_firs.html
-The Lions are expected to bring in former Georgia Tech quarterback Reggie Ball, who will get a shot to land a job as a receiver.

I find this pretty funny for some reason

detroit4life
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM
i guess shaun rogers is extremely out of shape. I know i was one of his bigger supporters this off season but this is disappointing. I understand he had knee surgery but it still is a blow to the team knowing he will barely be able to do much. I hope Rod runs him til he drops every prac. until he's up to pace with everyone else

familyguy555
07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
So TC is not open to teh public correct?

P-L
07-27-2007, 10:09 PM
I read that Calvin will be signed within a day or two after JaMarcus Russell signs. So here is hoping that Russell signs ASAP.

detroit4life
07-28-2007, 12:30 PM
with Thoms and Adams being signed CJ could be signed first we can go off of what they got and set the bar for russell rather then russell setting the bar for us

Crazy_Chris
07-29-2007, 07:02 PM
You know he could sign and set the bar to Russell but lets be honest His agent is going to want to make sure Calvin Johnson gets atleast as much money as Russell since Calvin is by far the best player in the rookie class

P-L
07-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Calvin will still get less than Russell. Even if he was the consensus best player in the draft, he was still the second player drafted.

P-L
07-30-2007, 08:48 AM
It looks like J.T. O'Sullivan is pushing Dan Orlovsky real hard to be the backup.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070730/SPORTS0101/707300324/1126

WMD
07-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Drew Stanton is out for a month... he's getting athroscopic surgery on his right knee.

I hated the Drew Stanton pick, but I'm forced to support him while he's in a Lions uniform.. He's one guy that needed to go through all of Training Camp, and the Preseason.. Let's hope this isn't the start of a bad trend for Stanton.

P-L
07-31-2007, 10:14 AM
Apparantly Tatum Bell is really impressing Mike Martz in camp.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/SPORTS01/707310354/1049/rss14

Bootland27
07-31-2007, 10:42 AM
Take everything you read about training camp with a grain of salt. Always hearing about how great these guys are doing in practices and how different everything is. Well remember, they are practicing against each other. Does that really tell you anything?? At least wait until the pre-season games, where it can translate into success on the field before you start eating the lion cornbread.

Iamcanadian
07-31-2007, 11:26 AM
Take everything you read about training camp with a grain of salt. Always hearing about how great these guys are doing in practices and how different everything is. Well remember, they are practicing against each other. Does that really tell you anything?? At least wait until the pre-season games, where it can translate into success on the field before you start eating the lion cornbread.

How true. I read on numerous team boards how everything is so rosey, how great the players look, and how attitudes have changed.
Every TC, that's all you hear and in the end it means NOTHING until the exhibition games start and we get to see the reality for ourselves.
Let's hope the reality is just as pretty as all the hype coming out now.

P-L
08-01-2007, 04:52 PM
The Lions and Clavin are close a deal. It could possibly be done tomorrow.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070801/UPDATE/708010428/1004

mqtirishfan
08-02-2007, 03:06 PM

No wonder Calvin hasn't signed yet, he's probably pissed.

P-L
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
Lions place QB Drew Stanton on IR.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070803/BLOG21/70803025/1049/rss14

Addict
08-03-2007, 10:37 AM
No wonder Calvin hasn't signed yet, he's probably pissed.

Mike Martz - hey calvin, come here will ya?
Calvin Johnson - sure coach, 'sup?
MM - well we're thinking about signing an old friend of yours
CJ - really? That's great! Who is it?
MM - your old buddy Reggie Ball isn't that.... eh calvin?
<calvin johnson flees Martz' office, dashing 40 yards in 3.87 seconds>
MM - look at that! Such a competitive spirit!