PDA

View Full Version : Simeon Rice CUT

remix 6
07-26-2007, 05:48 PM
The Buccaneers have reportedly cut DE Simeon Rice.
It's not exactly a shocker, as Rice was due to count over $10 million against the salary cap in 2007, far too much for a player his age (33) coming off a potentially career-threatening shoulder injury. Gaines Adams should instantly move into the starting lineup at right end. Rice, who is second among active sackers with 121, should find work if he's up for passing a physical.
Source: Tampa Tribune

:\

he was expensive..i guess not a bad move if Gaines is gonna step up

neko4
07-26-2007, 05:49 PM
They must know Gaines is gonna do good, or they really didnt wanna pay up

TheMadLionsFan
07-26-2007, 05:50 PM
eh....Bring him to the Lions.....plenty of old Bucs on the roster anyway

Splat
07-26-2007, 05:51 PM
They must know Gaines is gonna do good, or they really didnt wanna pay up

I don't think it matters if they know or not he is going to be making to much money to not be on the field.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-26-2007, 05:53 PM
suprising situation for me. but i guess i see where it came from after reading that.

any guesses on where he'll sign

23trufant
07-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Id like Seattle to get him if he comes kinda cheap for like a year or two. Tapp can come off the bench and steal time from Rice. Rice and Kearney would be a great DE duo even though they are old.

remix 6
07-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Id like Seattle to get him if he comes kinda cheap for like a year or two. Tapp can come off the bench and steal time from Rice. Rice and Kearney would be a great DE duo even though they are old.

tapp is currently a backup DE as it is..so bringing in Rice would make him 3rd :\

23trufant
07-26-2007, 06:00 PM
tapp is currently a backup DE as it is..so bringing in Rice would make him 3rd :\

Well if they got Rice they wold probably cut Bryce Fisher. But Fisher could backup one DE side and Tapp could backup the other.

Moses
07-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Interesting. I can see a contender signing him as a rotational player.

Man_Of_Steel
Loooks like the Bucs need to free up a roster spot for a QB.

ncstateviking
i could totally see him end up in minny.

PACKmanN
07-26-2007, 06:10 PM
I could see STL signing him to rotate with the guy they got from Det or to Azi to play 3-4 OLB and some 4-3 DE.

Cashmoney
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
titans really need a DE and have the cap....

scar988
07-26-2007, 06:16 PM
If I was Atlanta I would sign him for 1M... have him back up the RE spot and have a Rice-Abraham combo on pass rush downs and a Anderson-Davis combo on run downs.

TheChampIsHere
07-26-2007, 06:17 PM
You have to think DET might make a move for him fast b/c I remember back in February/March rumors circulating that Rice would get cut and the Lions would sign him and the Lions never did a whole lot to adress the DE position (drafted the dude from Hawaii, who is more of a developmental player anyways) so the interest should still be there, adding an edge rusher could really help them and you know Marinelli is gonna put pressure on management to sign him.

Cashmoney
07-26-2007, 06:18 PM
You have to think DET might make a move for him fast b/c I remember back in February/March rumors circulating that Rice would get cut and the Lions would sign him and the Lions never did a whole lot to adress the DE position (drafted the dude from Hawaii, who is more of a developmental player anyways) so the interest should still be there, adding an edge rusher could really help them and you know Marinelli is gonna put pressure on management to sign him.

they signed dewayne white in FA as well.

skinzzfan25
07-26-2007, 06:20 PM
The Redskins might/should take a look at him. For the right price, bring him in for a year or two. We need all the help we can get along the line.

ricky bobby
07-26-2007, 06:24 PM
What is it with these old Defensive ends? Rice refuses to take a pay cut, Strahan may be planning to hold out for more money. Come on old timers!

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Just because Rice is over the hill doesn't mean he's going to play for the vet minimum and be a backup. Get a clue.

skinzzfan25
07-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Just because Rice is over the hill doesn't mean he's going to play for the vet minimum and be a backup. Get a clue.

If he's going for vet min, the Skins or Lions would defiantly grab him.

bearsfan_51
07-26-2007, 06:34 PM
If he's going for vet min a ton of teams would grab him, but why the **** would he do that? It's not as if Rice hasn't made a ton of money already. It's the same thing as Meshawn, if someone doesn't at least pay him marginally he's not going to play at all, washed up or not.

For the record I do think someone will sign him, and he likely won't be a fulltime starter, but he's going to be making at least 2-3 million per year or he won't be playing at all.

BufFan71
07-26-2007, 06:47 PM
hes not gonna go for the vet min imo....
hes not gonna wanna go from getting 10mil, to getting the Min.....

i could see him going to Det.....

if buffalo hadn't resign Kelsay (like i wished) then i would have liked to see rice brought in

jag
07-26-2007, 06:48 PM
With Reggie Hayward slowly nursing his injury, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags picked him up to help out the pass rush.

JT Jag
07-26-2007, 06:59 PM
With Reggie Hayward slowly nursing his injury, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags picked him up to help out the pass rush.I hope they don't.

Wherever he goes, he'll command much more then the vet minimum. And he was cut because he failed a physical, which obviously means that he hasn't gotten over his injury.

I'd go after the 14-sack-a-year version of Rice in a New York minute. But it looks like he's still the 2-sacks-in-8-games version. I don't want to pay for former and end up getting the latter.

The Unseen
07-26-2007, 07:03 PM
I hope they don't.

Wherever he goes, he'll command much more then the vet minimum. And he was cut because he failed a physical, which obviously means that he hasn't gotten over his injury.

I'd go after the 14-sack-a-year version of Rice in a New York minute. But it looks like he's still the 2-sacks-in-8-games version. I don't want to pay for former and end up getting the latter.

Agreed.

Remember when TMD was going red in the proverbial face wanting the Jaguars trading for him? Classic.

skinzzfan25
07-26-2007, 07:04 PM
http://www.tampabaybucs.com/

Jul 26, 2007 -

At the end of a busy first day of training camp, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have made one more very noteworthy roster move.

Shortly before 7:00 p.m., the Buccaneers announced that veteran defensive end Simeon Rice has been terminated/failed physical.

The move comes before Rice was to begin his seventh season with Tampa Bay. Most of his 2006 campaign was lost to a shoulder injury that limited him to eight games and severely affected his production before he went on injured reserve.

General Manager Bruce Allen is scheduled to address the media from the team’s training camp headquarters at the Celebration Hotel at 8:00 p.m. on Thursday night. Allen will discuss the Rice termination in addition to other topics.

In his six seasons as a Buccaneer, Rice tallied 69.5 sacks, third most in team history. He had at least 11 sacks in each of his first five seasons in Tampa. Including his five years with the Arizona Cardinals, who drafted him third overall in 1996, Rice has career totals that include 584 tackles, 121 sacks and 37 forced fumbles.

______

They say he failed a physical, but didn't they do that with Lynch when he got out of there too? I remember them making some bs about him failing a physical. He did have that shoulder problem last year though.

TheChampIsHere
07-26-2007, 07:04 PM
they signed dewayne white in FA as well.

ahh...I forgot about him, I think he might be the pass-rusher they needed...I guess Rice could go a number of places, really any team that could use a boost to their pass-rush, and the truth is DE is one of those positions you can never have enough players at, almost every team would do good to add someone who can rush the passer like Rice so I could see him going a lot of places at the end of the day.

Tampa 2 4 life
07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Meh, failed physical.

Shelton Quarles part deaux.

Welcome to Tampa, Daunte.

NGSeiler
07-26-2007, 07:29 PM

LMAO, if he's going for the vet minimum, there will be more than two teams in the running.

I think Detroit and Minnesota are obvious contenders for his services. I wouldn't rule out the Broncos too, since they seem to have a Pokemon approach ("gotta have 'em all!") to the defensive line this offseason.

Ward
07-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I predict the Redskins will sign him to an exorbitant contract. I am a bold predictor of all things NFL.

Crazy_Chris
07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I predict the Redskins will sign him to an exorbitant contract. I am a bold predictor of all things NFL.

I have a feeling that your right on the money with that bold prediction lol

JT Jag
07-26-2007, 07:39 PM
I predict the Redskins will sign him to an exorbitant contract. I am a bold predictor of all things NFL.no wai!!!!!

broncs2bowl
07-26-2007, 08:04 PM
hes the Broncos to lose....i rly want him

LionSmack
07-26-2007, 08:13 PM
Well, all that talk he ran last year about how much he loves Rod Marinelli is going to be put to the test right now big time.

I cannot imagine for one second that the Lions wouldn't be going after him. Though it would be just like them to say na, we're happy with our DE rotation of White, Kalimba Edwards, Ike Alama-Francis and Corey Smith/Jared DeVries.

They even have a ready made place for him, put him at a starting DE slot and keep Edwards in a 3rd-down pass rushing role, and bump IAF into a DT-DE backup slot.

go getem Lions gogogogogogo

princefielder28
07-26-2007, 08:30 PM
LMAO, if he's going for the vet minimum, there will be more than two teams in the running.

I think Detroit and Minnesota are obvious contenders for his services. I wouldn't rule out the Broncos too, since they seem to have a Pokemon approach ("gotta have 'em all!") to the defensive line this offseason.

I think Denver with Jim Bates would really benefit from his services

GB12
07-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Where are those Bucs fans that insisted he was still a top DE and he and Adams would make one of the best DE tandems in the league?

Crazy_Chris
07-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I don't think childress will want him that bad he hasn't had any interest in the older guys that have been cut this offseason.

TACKLE
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
He probably won't end there, but he would be a great replacement for Adailius Thomas. They could play him as a DE/OLB. He's also probably got the ability to drop into coverage. The thought of Suggs and Rice coming off the edge with Ray Ray in the middle is just scary.

Teams he'll most likely end up with are probably Detroit, Minnesota, Washington or the Titans.

PalmerToCJ
07-26-2007, 08:54 PM

lol man I wouldn't put myself out on a limb like that you might get burned.

Unfortunately he wouldn't fit the Bengals well given the fact that we have a great pass rusher in Robert Geathers and Justin Smith isn't bad either... Plus we don't spend the cash on FA's so he won't come here.

Beans
07-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Where are those Bucs fans that insisted he was still a top DE and he and Adams would make one of the best DE tandems in the league?

I think most of us expected Gaines to take over for Simeon eventually, they're very similar players. Spires can hold his own on the other side. I wish we'd kept Dewayne White though. :/

etk
07-26-2007, 10:38 PM

Good luck with that idea, Rice wants megabucks.

etk
07-26-2007, 10:39 PM

Who the hell said that, ever? He was never gonna start with Adams anyway, they play the same role in our defense.

GB12
07-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Who the hell said that, ever? He was never gonna start with Adams anyway, they play the same role in our defense.

I remember there was one poster who was. I'm not sure who, S2C maybe?

etk
07-26-2007, 10:44 PM
I remember there was one poster who was. I'm not sure who, S2C maybe?

LOL, you're most likely right. S2C was one of the more delusional Bucs fans around here. They're both good pass rushers, but you can't have them both on the field at the same time unless you run a 3-4 or it's 3rd and long; they can't stop the run if their lives depended on it.

keylime_5
07-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Everyone wants their team to sign him. He failed a team physical and didn't play much last year and is old and no good against the run, and his pass rush skills aren't what they were a few years a go due to age and injury. I would be suprised if anyone signs him this year. He will vanish from the face of the NFL ala Jason Gildon, Peter Boulware, etc. Happy retirement, Mr.Rice.

Though if he were to play this year, my money is on Detroit. Need a RDE and his old D-Line coach is HC in motown. Put 2 and 2 together. But I am still skeptical of him playing this year.

etk
07-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Blah, blah, blah. Everyone wants their team to sign him. He failed a team physical and didn't play much last year and is old and no good against the run, and his pass rush skills aren't what they were a few years a go due to age and injury. I would be suprised if anyone signs him this year. He will vanish from the face of the NFL ala Jason Gildon, Peter Boulware, etc. Happy retirement, Mr.Rice.

You're right on many accounts, and these fans seem really desperate, but there's no reason not to be interested in Rice. He can get you 8-12 sacks no problem, but he's no savior. Don't worry about his physical too much, it has more to do with his injuries than his condition; Rice always stays in top shape.

McBain
07-26-2007, 10:56 PM
incentive laden contract is the only way i would hope the redskins touch him. But you know he's going to go where the guaranteed money is. I just hope if it is us.. we don't blow the bank on him. While he still might have something left... it's always nerve racking signing someone off an injury. I would almost rather he stayed on the bucs so he wouldn't be so tempting for danny.

With all that said, i hope we sign him but at a decent price. Because our DL can use all the help it can get.... Simeon Rice at half of himself would be a tremendous upgrade over Phillip Daniels. Anywho, i hope we look long and hard at him at the very least.

Caddy
07-26-2007, 11:39 PM
Loooks like the Bucs need to free up a roster spot for a QB.

Unfortunately this could be true.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-27-2007, 12:40 AM
LOL, you're most likely right. S2C was one of the more delusional Bucs fans around here. They're both good pass rushers, but you can't have them both on the field at the same time unless you run a 3-4 or it's 3rd and long; they can't stop the run if their lives depended on it.

Coulda been Phrost, too.

Shiver
07-27-2007, 01:17 AM

Hence why I like you and hated him.

SchizophrenicBatman
07-27-2007, 01:45 AM
Rice was pretty close to being finished anyway

Some idiot team will still sign him for way too much money though. With that said, I imagine he'll end up on the Lions

Ward
07-27-2007, 03:10 AM
incentive laden contract is the only way i would hope the redskins touch him. But you know he's going to go where the guaranteed money is. I just hope if it is us.. we don't blow the bank on him. While he still might have something left... it's always nerve racking signing someone off an injury. I would almost rather he stayed on the bucs so he wouldn't be so tempting for danny.

With all that said, i hope we sign him but at a decent price. Because our DL can use all the help it can get.... Simeon Rice at half of himself would be a tremendous upgrade over Phillip Daniels. Anywho, i hope we look long and hard at him at the very least.

Adam Archuleta.

critesy
07-27-2007, 03:21 AM
ahhh, some veteren on the market... redskins will sign him thinking he is in his prime and he will flop and end his career. this is coming from a skins fan.

etk
07-27-2007, 04:39 AM
I could see STL signing him to rotate with the guy they got from Det or to Azi to play 3-4 OLB and some 4-3 DE.

St. Louis does not need two Leonard Littles on one team. They need to start stuffing the run.

TitanHope
07-27-2007, 05:08 AM
I wouldn't rule out the Broncos too, since they seem to have a Pokemon approach ("gotta have 'em all!") to the defensive line this offseason.

I wanna be the very best!
Like no one ever was!
To sack them is my real test!
To force a fumble is my cause!

I will travel 'cross the league!
Stuffing all the runs!
These defensive ends, to understand!
The power that's inside!

*Starts wailing his ballot and playing air guitar*

Notredameleo
07-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Hes going to probably end up in Detroit,and be severely overpaid probably... book it

McBain
07-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Adam Archuleta.

i believe the name you're looking for is bruce smith. although we blew the bank on arch he was still somewhat in his prime.

Chief49er
07-27-2007, 05:20 PM
Didnt he fail a phsy?

princefielder28
07-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Didnt he fail a phsy?

yes he did.....according to ESPN

Geo
07-27-2007, 09:48 PM
Per Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

POSTED 8:15 p.m. EDT, July 27, 2007

MUTINY COMING IN TAMPA?

The manner in which the Buccaneers handled the termination of Simeon Rice's contract with the team is causing a serious problem among veterans on the team, according to our pal Steve Duemig of WDAE radio in Tampa.

The official excuse for the move -- a failed physical -- apparently is the standard line used by the Jon Gruden regime when it dumps a guy who still can play (see Shelton Quarles). Apparently, Gruden addressed the media before dinner and said that all of the players had reported, and that all of them were healthy.

Duemig says that Rice was at dinner on Thursday night with his teammates, and pulled aside to meet with the powers-that-be. Rice was told that he had to take a pay cut or be released, and that he had five minutes to make up his mind.

In our view, Rice could be the first of several long-term Bucs who get bumped off as Gruden hits what we believe to be his make-or-break season with the team. With Cato June in the fold to play weakside linebacker, we wouldn't be shocked at all if Derrick Brooks is the next one to get squeezed.

scottyboy
07-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Per Pro Football Talk (http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm):

if derrick brooks got cut, like that'd be crazy. the giants should really look into this, either Rice or Brooks in case strahan retires, well even look at brooks if he's cut even if strahan stays.

Tampa 2 4 life
07-27-2007, 10:12 PM
No way we cut Derrick Brooks.

We cut Quarles and Rice because we had younger players to take their place, Cato June will play the strong side and Quincy Black needs a year or two to develop, and by that time, Brooks will have retired anyway.

etk
07-28-2007, 07:45 AM
Derrick Brooks will never be cut, that's outrageous. PFT are nothing but rumor-mongers. I F'n hate Gruden so this is no surprise to me that he acts like a d-bag to our veteran stars. If we cut Brooks I'm done, no ifs ands or buts. I'd rather cheer for the Giants for all I care.

Jonny
07-28-2007, 01:32 PM
if derrick brooks got cut, like that'd be crazy. the giants should really look into this, either Rice or Brooks in case strahan retires, well even look at brooks if he's cut even if strahan stays.

Brooks could help, even though our LBs will be ok if Kiwi can make the switch. Stay away from Rice though, he's terrible against the run.

Flyboy
07-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Derrick Brooks will never be cut, that's outrageous. PFT are nothing but rumor-mongers. I F'n hate Gruden so this is no surprise to me that he acts like a d-bag to our veteran stars. If we cut Brooks I'm done, no ifs ands or buts. I'd rather cheer for the Giants for all I care.

You can become a Saint fan, buddy! ;)

Nitschke-Hawk
07-28-2007, 01:55 PM
This is a good thing for me because I have a bunch of stat bets with my cousin combining into one big bet. And for sacks he picked Rice and Strahan as two of his players. Hahaha.

etk
07-28-2007, 07:34 PM
You can become a Saint fan, buddy! ;)

Fine, Saints it is, why not stay in the division? Saints have potential anyway.

I'm being serious by the way. Cutting Derrick Brooks would be a slap in the face to everyone who supports this team: the players, coaches, fans, everyone. I would have no choice but to hate the team with a passion and relentlessly seek the death of Jon Gruden. Just hearing these rumors makes me sick and makes me wanna strangle him as it is...