PDA

View Full Version : Thorpe Award Watch List

Sniper
07-26-2007, 10:23 PM
http://mgoblue.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=25043

Really stunned not to see Jack Ikegwuonu on the list.

neko4
07-26-2007, 10:26 PM

Thats a pretty big list too

reigle9
07-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Either a misprint or......I don't know. That's the only choice.

Sniper
07-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Either a misprint or......I don't know. That's the only choice.

Obviously it doesn't mean that he doesn't have a shot to win it. But to shun a guy who's arguably the Big 10's best corner along with Jenkins and King is a little out there.

America
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I hope Kenny Phillips wins. That guy is amazing.

Sniper
07-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I hope Kenny Phillips wins. That guy is amazing.

He's definitely one of the front-runners, probably the top guy. If Tom Zbikowski wins I may go on a killing spree. He's atrocious in coverage and is essentially a undersized linebacker.

therock6000
07-26-2007, 10:38 PM
He's definitely one of the front-runners, probably the top guy. If Tom Zbikowski wins I may go on a killing spree. He's atrocious in coverage and is essentially a undersized linebacker.

agree (except for the killing spree part)

neko4
07-26-2007, 10:50 PM

What if he improves and gets like a dozen INT's?

etk
07-26-2007, 10:52 PM

Yeah, only if he moves back to quarterback...

Sniper
07-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Then I may restrict my killing spree :) He's certainly going to have a lot of chances at a dozen INTs by helping over the top since Notre Dame's corners are weak.

reigle9
07-26-2007, 11:03 PM

Haha, I think you're a raging **** but that was as funny as it gets. NO chance he wins, ND is going to be lucky to get to 7-5 this year. I think Kenny probably wins. Justin won't get many picks, I doubt Jenkins will either.

Sniper
07-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Haha, I think you're a raging **** but that was as funny as it gets. NO chance he wins, ND is going to be lucky to get to 7-5 this year. I think Kenny probably wins. Justin won't get many picks, I doubt Jenkins will either.

All because I said King was the #3 corner in the Big 10? Good to see you don't take online stuff too personally. King will get 1-2 picks probably because a lot of teams won't throw his way because odds are he'll have his man blanketed well. That and he doesn't have great ball skills. Jenkins and Ikegwuonu are more of a threat as far as ball skills go, but may not have the coverage ability as King. But they are better all-around in terms of coverage and ball skills.

GB12
07-26-2007, 11:37 PM

I don't think he has much of a chance to win it, but for him to not even be on the list is ********.

reigle9
07-27-2007, 01:14 PM
All because I said King was the #3 corner in the Big 10? Good to see you don't take online stuff too personally. King will get 1-2 picks probably because a lot of teams won't throw his way because odds are he'll have his man blanketed well. That and he doesn't have great ball skills. Jenkins and Ikegwuonu are more of a threat as far as ball skills go, but may not have the coverage ability as King. But they are better all-around in terms of coverage and ball skills.

You didn't say the #3 CB in the Big 10, that wouldn't have annoyed me at all. It's wrong and that's you're opinion so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Talking about ball skills just killed your reasoning. He played WR as a freshman and made some sick plays. You made him sound like a solid starter rather than a 1st round DP, that's what annoyed me.

I honestly would put the max bet on him being the first CB taken in whatever year he goes if I could get 8-1 or so.

Sniper
07-27-2007, 01:17 PM
You didn't say the #3 CB in the Big 10, that wouldn't have annoyed me at all. It's wrong and that's you're opinion so I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Talking about ball skills just killed your reasoning. He played WR as a freshman and made some sick plays. You made him sound like a solid starter rather than a 1st round DP, that's what annoyed me.

I honestly would put the max bet on him being the first CB taken in whatever year he goes if I could get 8-1 or so.

I have said numerous times he's the #3 CB in the Big 10, thougb I'll admit I'm really starting to warm up to him more and more. As a corner, he does not have great ball skills. Corners with great ball skills intercept more than one pass per year, receiver experience or not. He was used on a lot of end arounds and stuff like that. That's far different than real receiver routes. I have King slated to go late first round right now for next season. That being said, I assume he will be a all-big 10 first team this year and propel his stock much further. If he stays for his senior year he's a lock to be a top 10.

YAYareaRB
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Kenny Phillips is amazing. I think he's got it locked.

Sniper
07-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Kenny Phillips is amazing. I think he's got it locked.

Either him or Myron Rolle.

princefielder28
07-27-2007, 01:26 PM
I don't think he has much of a chance to win it, but for him to not even be on the list is ********.

It's unacceptable for his name not to be mentioned

Sniper
07-27-2007, 01:28 PM
It's unacceptable for his name not to be mentioned

Ikegwuonu isn't but Zbikowski is. Makes a lot of sense :rolleyes:

Giantsfan1080
07-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Watch out for Taylor Mays and Courtney Greene as well. In all likelyhood Phillips should win though.

moc182
07-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I'll go with Reggie Smith. Someone in the big 12 always wins, whether they deserve it or not.

cardsalltheway
07-27-2007, 01:44 PM
Either him or Myron Rolle.

That's who my money's on

reigle9
07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I have said numerous times he's the #3 CB in the Big 10, thougb I'll admit I'm really starting to warm up to him more and more. As a corner, he does not have great ball skills. Corners with great ball skills intercept more than one pass per year, receiver experience or not. He was used on a lot of end arounds and stuff like that. That's far different than real receiver routes. I have King slated to go late first round right now for next season. That being said, I assume he will be a all-big 10 first team this year and propel his stock much further. If he stays for his senior year he's a lock to be a top 10.

Fair enough. You're just a little out of your element though. His ball skills are great, he never gets thrown at. When he does, he outruns Ted Ginn and picks it off.

reigle9
07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
That's who my money's on

Lot of great DB's this year. I'm liking a lot of these names.

Man_Of_Steel
07-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I believe I saw Paul Oliver on there.

T.Smith
07-27-2007, 03:01 PM
I think we can all agree, a big 10 CB will win this.

Sniper
07-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I think we can all agree, a big 10 CB will win this.

Um, no. Kenny Phillips and Myron Rolle play in the ACC, whereas Taylor Mays plays in the Pac-10. Those are my top 3.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-27-2007, 03:19 PM
complete atrocity Jack Ikegwuonu isn't on the list idk maybe it's just me but I don't think unproven players like Rolle and Mays should be on it

Sniper
07-27-2007, 04:52 PM
complete atrocity Jack Ikegwuonu isn't on the list idk maybe it's just me but I don't think unproven players like Rolle and Mays should be on it

Um I could be mistaken, but weren't they both freshman AA?

Tampa 2 4 life
07-27-2007, 04:54 PM
Trae Williams on the list, but Mike Jenkins not is inane.

soybean
07-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Um, no. Kenny Phillips and Myron Rolle play in the ACC, whereas Taylor Mays plays in the Pac-10. Those are my top 3.

i don't think taylor mays gets enough INTs to win the award.

P-L
07-27-2007, 09:51 PM
I find it odd that so many people get bent out of shape over the award watch list.

BufFan71
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
Terrence Wheatley, Sr., Colorado

duckseason
07-28-2007, 08:08 AM
I find it odd that so many people get bent out of shape over the award watch list.

Yeah, especially considering this-
The watch list is determined by analysis of the pre-season All-American teams listed in at least six pre-season college football annual magazines. Four points are awarded for first team, three points for second team, two points for third and one point for fourth teams and honorable mentions. This list is not final and players who have good seasons are added as the season progresses.
In other words, it's not all that relevant. The fact that Patrick Chung isn't mentioned doesn't really bother me at this point because I know he'll be added to the list during the season while he's asserting himself as one of the nation's premier DB's and being watched closely by NFL personnel. But realistically, there's no way a Duck player is standing at that podium when they announce the winner. So making that list doesn't really matter.

Mr. Stiller
07-28-2007, 11:45 AM

Isn't he in trouble? I remember Ikegwuonu and his brother breaking into an apartment... For an Xbox.

DWilliams2IndyColts
07-28-2007, 11:50 AM
I guarantee you an Iowa State player will win.

wiscbadgerfootball
07-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Isn't he in trouble? I remember Ikegwuonu and his brother breaking into an apartment... For an Xbox.

I think he was acquitted