PDA

View Full Version : My very early...2008 QB Rankings

Travis 24
07-27-2007, 07:38 AM
I have an early list of my top 15 QB's coming up...here it is... :)

QUARTERBACKS
1. Brian Brohm Louisville
2. Colt Brennan Hawaii
3. Andre Woodson Kentucky
4. Erik Ainge Tennessee
5. Chase Holbrook (JR) New Mexico State
6. Chad Henne Michigan
7. Matt Ryan Boston College
8. Josh Johnson San Diego
9. John David Booty USC
10. Omar Haugabook Troy
11. Ricky Santos New Hampshire
12. Sam Kellar Nebraska
13. Anthony Morelli Penn State
14. Bret Meyer Iowa State
15. Adam Tafralis San Jose State

No...I do not think Henne and Booty are nearly as good as advertised. I don't see a fast release..neither of them seem to push the ball downfield as much as the other top guys. Ryan, I like a lot...has a fast release and a nice arm.

princefielder28
07-27-2007, 08:10 AM
I think people have a tendency to forget how good Sam Keller really is since he hasn't played in a year. I would certainly put him ahead of Chase Holbrook.

Iamcanadian
07-27-2007, 09:12 AM
I think people have a tendency to forget how good Sam Keller really is since he hasn't played in a year. I would certainly put him ahead of Chase Holbrook.

I agree. I'd rank him just behind Woodson and just ahead of Ainge as of right now. I'll also be watching to see if USC opens up its offense now that Booty has a year under his belt. He could really suprise this year. Right now I'd place him just below Ainge. Henne and Ryan will fight it out for the next spot. The Sporting News ranks all these guys as 1st or 2nd rounders. So it's an excellent crop of QB's.

BrownsTown
07-27-2007, 09:14 AM
I think Bret Meyer is underrated, but that's just me.

YAYareaRB
07-28-2007, 02:54 PM
Adam Tafralis isn't even gonna start the whole season. I'd much rather have Chad Bozzo over him.

HoopsDemon12
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM

Keller is gonan show a lot of people why he was sucha heralded recruit... he is gonna put nebraska back up there

soybean
07-28-2007, 03:05 PM
what's so good about matt ryan?

neko4
07-28-2007, 03:11 PM

I dont know at all

HoopsDemon12
07-28-2007, 03:39 PM

I dont know at all

Well he has great size and throwing ability... he is a good prospect.. just not a great one IMO

Sniper
07-28-2007, 03:55 PM

QUARTERBACKS
2. Colt Brennan Hawaii
4. Erik Ainge Tennessee
6. Chad Henne Michigan
9. John David Booty USC
10. Omar Haugabook Troy
12. Sam Kellar Nebraska

No...I do not think Henne and Booty are nearly as good as advertised. I don't see a fast release..neither of them seem to push the ball downfield as much as the other top guys. Ryan, I like a lot...has a fast release and a nice arm.

Henne doesn't push the ball downfield as much as the others? What the **** are you watching? Henne may throw the prettiest deep ball in all of college football. Your rankings are a little out there, but that reasoning for Henne was the dumbest part of it all.

BamaFalcon59
07-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Yeah, I'd say the Henne comment was off. I like the guy a lot as a prospect.

HoopsDemon12
07-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Yeah, I'd say the Henne comment was off. I like the guy a lot as a prospect.

personally i cant wait till he gets drafted because i wanan see how his back ups career pans out more

Travis 24
07-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Well he has great size and throwing ability... he is a good prospect.. just not a great one IMO

Ryan has a quick release..good size, pretty accurate, decent arm.

Travis 24
07-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Henne doesn't push the ball downfield as much as the others? What the **** are you watching? Henne may throw the prettiest deep ball in all of college football. Your rankings are a little out there, but that reasoning for Henne was the dumbest part of it all.

So your saying he does push it downfield as much as Brohm, Woodson, Brennan, Ainge and Holbrook?...No he doesn't. Its gonna be exposed as the season rolls along...definately not a 1st round prospect..I could also easily see Matt Ryan passing him as well...regardless, you are a Michigan fan...soooooooo...

I also had John Beck as the #2 rated QB going into the 2006 season...I heard the same things, we'll just wait and see. :)

soybean
07-28-2007, 06:39 PM
Ryan has a quick release..good size, pretty accurate, decent arm.

also a 15:10 td:int ratio.

KCJ58
07-28-2007, 08:10 PM
#1 :)
http://www.dailycal.org/images/art/08.29.asu.courtesy.jpg

wiscbadgerfootball
07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
chalk it up Tyler Donovan climbs the charts.. ok maybe that's homerism speaking :p.. a guy can hope though

Michigan
07-28-2007, 08:29 PM
So your saying he does push it downfield as much as Brohm, Woodson, Brennan, Ainge and Holbrook?...No he doesn't. Its gonna be exposed as the season rolls along...definately not a 1st round prospect..I could also easily see Matt Ryan passing him as well...regardless, you are a Michigan fan...soooooooo...

I also had John Beck as the #2 rated QB going into the 2006 season...I heard the same things, we'll just wait and see. :)

Honestly, have you seen Henne's deep ball? Easily the best in Div-1A. Manningham gets rediculously overrated because of how accurate Henne is downfield. How can you say Brennan/Holbrook push it downfield more when 90% of their passes are quick one-read pitch and catches?

Also, Beck was the 4th QB drafted, so I'm not sure what you're boasting about there...

BamaFalcon59
07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Brennan and Holbrook are more dink and dunk, letting the WR make a play.

Woodson has a good deep ball, and Brohm completes the deep ball a lot, but Henne's deep ball IMO is the best in D-1A. Brohm got a lot of men open down field purely do to good WRs and a great system for downfield passing.

neko4
07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Something ive noticed COlt does well, throw on the run
But I also noticed a slight side arm

PACKmanN
07-28-2007, 09:19 PM
If Clot add 20 more pounds to his frame and can still play I dont see anything stopping him from being the first qb taken. He the only one with a huge upside and great numbers to back it up.

etk
07-28-2007, 09:21 PM

People get carried away with the size prototype. Career backup IMO.

etk
07-28-2007, 09:22 PM
If Clot add 20 more pounds to his frame and can still play I dont see anything stopping him from being the first qb taken. He the only one with a huge upside and great numbers to back it up.

Andre Woodson says hello. Brian Brohm says hi for the 1st QB argument too.

coCANES17
07-28-2007, 11:04 PM
I see a lot of people have the same Top 3 QBs (Brohm, Woodson, and Colt) and I to think those guys will probably be the three 1st rounders. I think the real interesting thing to watch with this QB class will be who is going to be that 4th QB. I would give the edge to Henne right now but there are 4 other guys with a legitimate shot (Booty, Ainge, Keller, and possibly Matt Ryan). Oh and if Holbrook is the best of the bunch (which I dont necessarily agree with) for the junior QBs then a team with any QB need would dfinitley need to get one this year.

neko4
07-28-2007, 11:11 PM
People get carried away with the size prototype. Career backup IMO.

Has played behind fantastic OL his college career

BamaFalcon59
07-28-2007, 11:37 PM
Personally I like Henne more than Colt Brennan. I haven't seen Woodson enough to judge him. And I think Brohm is more top 10 than top 5.

PACKmanN
07-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Andre Woodson says hello. Brian Brohm says hi for the 1st QB argument too.

Andre yeah but are you trying to compare Brohm numbers to Clot? lol try again with him.

mikedoobie
07-29-2007, 02:07 AM
Bobby Reid has the talent to be on it..and i could see him rise his stock this uear but is stilla jr.

Sniper
07-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Andre yeah but are you trying to compare Brohm numbers to Clot? lol try again with him.

You can't possibly compare one QB who plays in a regular system to a guy who plays with 5 wide all the time.

draftguru151
07-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Where did he do that? You said if Colt puts on 20 pounds he'll be the first QB taken, and most people consider that to be Brian Brohm's spot to lose. Nowhere did he mention numbers for Brohm.

P-L
07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
So have John David Booty and Chad Henne.

Green Bay Scat
07-30-2007, 02:55 AM
I saw Colt Brennan on Thursday, and i have to say, he looks no more than 185lbs. not only that i think hes about 6'2. But the best part is that he looks like Stephen Baldwin from Bio Dome, but had a dirty beard too.

edit - he was waring a baggy shirt, and i didnt stand next to him. I didnt even know it was him till i already left, i mean, he looked nothing like his picture, i mean he was grubby and had weird dredlock type hair, like a short Doyle version of it. Its funny, i wish i couldve seen powdrell. Well least i partied with him when he had his boot on. Powdrell is a cool man, and he seems shorter than 5'11" but hes thick, also a very nice guy, real cool. Now only if Rabb would come over. I hope he makes the Cowboys Roster

jballa838
07-30-2007, 10:11 AM
so many michigan homers and brennan haters in this thread, but i think that if brennan put up the same numbers, with the same teammates, in the same system at michigan everyone would be all over his nuts. easily one of the most underrated prospects due to geographical reasons.

Edit: Plus Henne is overrated
http://youtube.com/watch?v=n8bzZEtOcb8
(language warning)

draftguru151
07-30-2007, 10:22 AM
so many michigan homers and brennan haters in this thread, but i think that if brennan put up the same numbers, with the same teammates, in the same system at michigan everyone would be all over his nuts. easily one of the most underrated prospects due to geographical reasons.

(language warning)

Him playing in Hawaii has little to do with the hate, it's because he plays for Hawaii. There is no possible way Brennan would put up those numbers at Michigan, because they don't throw the ball enough for him to do that.

BaLLiN
07-30-2007, 10:25 AM
I think Henne should be higher up but thats just IMO

jballa838
07-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Him playing in Hawaii has little to do with the hate, it's because he plays for Hawaii. There is no possible way Brennan would put up those numbers at Michigan, because they don't throw the ball enough for him to do that.
i meant if you moved hawaii to michigan and kept the same system with the same numbers he would be godly.

draftguru151
07-30-2007, 10:38 AM
I still don't think that's the case. Sure the Michigan homers would like him more, and he would get seen a lot more, but I don't see the hate being much less.

Turtlepower
07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
As an ASU fan, I think Sam Keller is overrated. He tries too often to thread the needle a lot and throws behind receivers. He was one of the major reasons why the Sun-Devils lost to USC in 05. I think he will do well in Nebraska, if he can lay off of the white powder...

P-L
07-30-2007, 12:32 PM

(language warning)

You could make a video of all of Brian Brohm's sacks, interceptions, and fumbles and he would look just as bad.

SubNoize
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
As an ASU fan, I think Sam Keller is overrated. He tries too often to thread the needle a lot and throws behind receivers. He was one of the major reasons why the Sun-Devils lost to USC in 05. I think he will do well in Nebraska, if he can lay off of the white powder...

Sam Keller is a much better QB than Carpenter, that was ASU's biggest mistake and probably the reason why coach K is long gone. He does thread the needle sometimes, but a good portion of his gambles led to big plays, you gotta have balls to make plays every now and then. the white powder rumor is why Keller got the push out the door, but a lot of guys wanted Sam there including the Miller bros. Anyways, ASU sucks and that is why they lost USC.

WarOnTheShore
07-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Colt Brennan. Eww.

That throwing motion, that offense. Oh my.

07-30-2007, 03:34 PM
John David Booty need to be top 3. He's got a year under his belt and with those weapons still. Booty for Heisman!

soybean
07-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Sam Keller is a much better QB than Carpenter, that was ASU's biggest mistake and probably the reason why coach K is long gone. He does thread the needle sometimes, but a good portion of his gambles led to big plays, you gotta have balls to make plays every now and then. the white powder rumor is why Keller got the push out the door, but a lot of guys wanted Sam there including the Miller bros. Anyways, ASU sucks and that is why they lost USC.

I went to ASU, and I can tell you that the reason keller is gone is because he just got outplayed during the spring simple as that. Both were great quarterbacks that first year and nobody knew that carpenter would struggle his second year. Also, they didn't suck, if it wasn't for a blocked punt,and a touchdown off a 4th and 22 they would have beaten LSU (#3) at the time. Keller choked numerous times in the fourth quarter and even more importantly the finals minutes.

As for the "white powder rumor" are you kidding me? they ALL do it, this i can guarantee.

Sniper
07-30-2007, 04:01 PM

(language warning)

Cool you put in a video from an OSU fan. That's not biased at all.

I believe the argument was that Henne doesn't throw a great deep ball. Youtube begs to differ.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V6jfks3gR3Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_D25D6TUTDA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=50XnEdpZt60

And Brennan wouldn't be running the same system at Michigan.

Da Big Harv
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I think the only QB that has all the tools to be a top 3 type pick in the NFL and ability to make all the throws would be Andre Woodson

If Brohm has the senior year most expect i think he can be a top pick also but, i think Booty and Henne fit in that late 1st mold being best case scenario

I dont really have an opinion on Brennan after not seeing enough of him

Sniper
07-30-2007, 04:20 PM
I think the only QB that has all the tools to be a top 3 type pick in the NFL and ability to make all the throws would be Andre Woodson

If Brohm has the senior year most expect i think he can be a top pick also but, i think Booty and Henne fit in that late 1st mold being best case scenario

I dont really have an opinion on Brennan after not seeing enough of him

I'm inclined to agree. I really like Woodson a lot. He's tough, has a rocket launcher where his arm should be, can make all the throws, isn't Mike Vick running wise but can still tuck it and run for 8-10 yards if he needs to.

SubNoize
07-30-2007, 04:50 PM
I went to ASU, and I can tell you that the reason keller is gone is because he just got outplayed during the spring simple as that. Both were great quarterbacks that first year and nobody knew that carpenter would struggle his second year. Also, they didn't suck, if it wasn't for a blocked punt,and a touchdown off a 4th and 22 they would have beaten LSU (#3) at the time. Keller choked numerous times in the fourth quarter and even more importantly the finals minutes.

As for the "white powder rumor" are you kidding me? they ALL do it, this i can guarantee.

outplayed? are you kidding? I was there for a lot of the spring training last year, i was invited by my old HS football coach who's no longer with the team. Keller easily played better than Carpenter and most players recognized it. once rumors on campus/in camp flew around about Keller the team started to turn on Keller and coach K buckled and name Carpenter the starter. Zach made public appearances and stated "it was in best interest" and all kinds of crap, but I know he liked Sam better and stated it to coach K a few times. as for "they ALL do it" that's very untrue, just because the campus is druggie ridden ( I hate ASU and Tempe) doesn't mean the team is. I have a few friends from HS on the roster and know they do not use and at all, along with their friends also on the team.

Michigan
07-30-2007, 04:52 PM
Cool you put in a video from an OSU fan. That's not biased at all.

I believe the argument was that Henne doesn't throw a great deep ball. Youtube begs to differ.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V6jfks3gR3Q
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_D25D6TUTDA
http://youtube.com/watch?v=50XnEdpZt60

And Brennan wouldn't be running the same system at Michigan.

Sorry for getting off topic, but WOW Jake Long is dominant...

Sniper
07-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Sorry for getting off topic, but WOW Jake Long is dominant...

Yeah, he's alright :):):)

TimD
08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Henne will be a good NFL starter in a few years. I'm sure of it... he needs to work on a quicker release but he can throw the ball down field so well, its ridiculous

jballa838
08-02-2007, 10:55 AM
You could make a video of all of Brian Brohm's sacks, interceptions, and fumbles and he would look just as bad.
it was a catchy tune though

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:35 PM

QUARTERBACKS
2. Colt Brennan Hawaii
4. Erik Ainge Tennessee
6. Chad Henne Michigan
9. John David Booty USC
10. Omar Haugabook Troy
12. Sam Kellar Nebraska

I really haven't followed anything since the draft, or even looked back at any notes. Roughly, my top 5 out of that list (really too lazy to think of anything right now) would probably be

1. Andre Woodson - I'm really jumping on the bandwagon ... but I fully admit that, even last year, I didn't really pay that much attention to Woodson, so it's a very partial view that I have so far.
2. Erik Ainge - If he takes another step forward, he could push for the top spot.
3. Colt Brennan
4. Brian Brohm
5. John David Booty

Actually, I'll add a 6th

6. Sam Kellar

gator3guy
08-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Im not really a fan of Ainge, and no it has nothing to do with being a Gator fan. I just think he's very average.

My Preseason Top 5:

1. Brohm
2. Brennan
3. Woodson
4. Henne
5. Keller

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 09:48 PM
I'll be the first to admit I watch college football much less than the pros, but why is it that some people have Matt Ryan ranked very high, and yet most not even in the top 5. I know almost nothing about the guy, but he doesn't seem like someone with huge upside so I can't figure out why some people are putting him that high up unless it's simply due to displeasure with the rest of the class.

gator3guy
08-03-2007, 10:16 PM
Well my answer to that question is that you have your top 3 guys in Brohm, Brennan, and Woodson who are pretty much in a class of their own and definately in the first tier. Then you got guys like Booty, Henne, Ainge, Keller, and Ryan who make up the second tier. In my opinion you could make a case for them in any order u want as of right now. We'll have to wait for the season to play out in order to get a better picture.

But to answer your question more directly alot of the rankings of Matt Ryan are based on hype and potential. He has very projectable tools and if can put them together this season he could leapfrog some QB's into that second round area.

Just my 2 cents.

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Well my answer to that question is that you have your top 3 guys in Brohm, Brennan, and Woodson who are pretty much in a class of their own and definately in the first tier. Then you got guys like Booty, Henne, Ainge, Keller, and Ryan who make up the second tier. In my opinion you could make a case for them in any order u want as of right now. We'll have to wait for the season to play out in order to get a better picture.

But to answer your question more directly alot of the rankings of Matt Ryan are based on hype and potential. He has very projectable tools and if can put them together this season he could leapfrog some QB's into that second round area.

Just my 2 cents.
Ok but I saw someone saying he could be the 2nd QB chosen and a top 5-10 pick. This was a legit draft website too.

Btw, there are a lot of people that don't have Brennan in their top 3. I don't think he's nearly the consensus player you're putting him as.

Vikes99ej
08-03-2007, 10:34 PM
1. Brian Brohm
2. Andre Woodson
3. John David Booty
4. Colt Brennan
5. Matt Ryan

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-04-2007, 12:32 AM
Ok but I saw someone saying he could be the 2nd QB chosen and a top 5-10 pick. This was a legit draft website too.

Btw, there are a lot of people that don't have Brennan in their top 3. I don't think he's nearly the consensus player you're putting him as.same prospect he was last year that he will be this year.Late first early second.Henne will be picked before him.

RaiderNation
08-04-2007, 12:50 AM
id move andre woodson to 2nd and JDB to 4th. other than that i agree with it

toonsterwu
08-04-2007, 12:04 PM
I'll be the first to admit I watch college football much less than the pros, but why is it that some people have Matt Ryan ranked very high, and yet most not even in the top 5. I know almost nothing about the guy, but he doesn't seem like someone with huge upside so I can't figure out why some people are putting him that high up unless it's simply due to displeasure with the rest of the class.

How's it going bf_51? I think the thing with Ryan is this:

Some have him because he, by most accounts, has the smarts and intangibles to perhaps succeed.

That said, tools wise, he has good tools, but nothing special.

Hence, a lot of the "Brady" comparisons (tom that is).

toonsterwu
08-04-2007, 12:06 PM

Btw, there are a lot of people that don't have Brennan in their top 3. I don't think he's nearly the consensus player you're putting him as.

I like Brennan, but I agree that I think he's a bit overhyped.

I think, in the early stages right now, there's a lot of love for this 2008 QB class ... and I'm not so sure it's all that great at the top. I think this QB class looks to have good depth as of now. That said, a year of games to see how things shake out, so who knows.

WarOnTheShore
08-04-2007, 12:27 PM
I like Brennan, but I agree that I think he's a bit overhyped.

I think, in the early stages right now, there's a lot of love for this 2008 QB class ... and I'm not so sure it's all that great at the top. I think this QB class looks to have good depth as of now. That said, a year of games to see how things shake out, so who knows.

I'd agree with that. Woodson seems to have the most potential and the other guys have a lot of questions. Brennan's are obvious, JDB gets a lot of balls batted down, Henne might have some size issues, Brohm and Ainge have injury problems, Ryan might only be an average pro prospect and Keller is kind of a wild card.

It should be interesting to see how they develop this season.

elway777
08-04-2007, 12:39 PM
JDB's height will hurt him. He's only 6-1 210.

08-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Yea last year way too many tipped balls at the line.

soybean
08-04-2007, 01:29 PM

if that's true, what'll make him any better than troy smith?

elway777
08-04-2007, 01:44 PM
if that's true, what'll make him any better than troy smith?

The intagibles; accuracy, pocket composure etc...

bearsfan_51
08-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Hence, a lot of the "Brady" comparisons (tom that is).
That said, his resemblence to Peter is remarkable.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/tv/brady-bunch-e.jpg

And all is well, thanks for asking, about to start school in Minnesota. Good to see you back.

Travis 24
08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Trent Edwards went in round 3...and look at his numbers. Stanton went in round 2...Look at his numbers. You can't just go by that. Matt Ryan has the basic fundamentals...Quick release, strong enough arm...you can't teach that.

Chad Henne has a slow, windup release..and its gonna hurt him. Very overrated, IMO..and probably a 4th-5th rounder. Same with Booty..

I don't give advantages to players just because of where they played or didn't play...

And I think me having Beck was the 2nd rated QB before last year was pretty good...considering most lists I saw didn't even have him in the top 10 or 15....and most had him barely in the top 8 even a few months before the draft. I also don't trust a word people tell me...because I heard "experts" saying Beck has no mobility and a weak arm...laughable.

soybean
08-04-2007, 06:34 PM
Trent Edwards went in round 3...and look at his numbers. Stanton went in round 2...Look at his numbers. You can't just go by that. Matt Ryan has the basic fundamentals...Quick release, strong enough arm...you can't teach that.

Chad Henne has a slow, windup release..and its gonna hurt him. Very overrated, IMO..and probably a 4th-5th rounder. Same with Booty..

I don't give advantages to players just because of where they played or didn't play...

And I think me having Beck was the 2nd rated QB before last year was pretty good...considering most lists I saw didn't even have him in the top 10 or 15....and most had him barely in the top 8 even a few months before the draft. I also don't trust a word people tell me...because I heard "experts" saying Beck has no mobility and a weak arm...laughable.

and horrible instincts, i guess you cant teach that either...

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Great OL.. less than stellar skills players around him.

neko4
08-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Great OL.. less than stellar skills players around him.

Very true, but has he ever had any serious pressure is what I wanna know.

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Very true, but has he ever had any serious pressure is what I wanna know.

They're in the ACC.. they face the Gaines Adams, Chris Longs, Darrell Robertsons, Phil Merlings, Chris Ellis, Adamm Oliver, Alex Boston..

He does get pressure.. They do have an underrated RB tandem..

I wouldn't say they have an "Amazing OL".. None of their players are drop dead amazing, but they are Solid Blue Collar types.

They don't have that great of a defense either. Neither of their safeties were drafted last year.. and they only have about 3 standout defensive players this year..

NT BJ Raji, ILB JoLonn Dunbar, and CB DeJuan Tribble..

However if they want to win the ACC, this is their best shot.. they have 19 seniors..

I think he had a better than adequate OL.. I just think they don't have the talented WR's to really show how good Ryan is.

Then again People think I'm an idiot because I think the same thing about Pat White... He doesn't have the WR's around him.. if he had good WR's and not just blocking WR's he'd probably get drafted as a QB.. not a QB-> WR convert.

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Chad Henne has a slow, windup release..and its gonna hurt him. Very overrated, IMO..and probably a 4th-5th rounder. Same with Booty..that should end up in someones sig.

Sniper
08-05-2007, 04:43 PM
that should end up in someones sig.

Taken care of.

Travis, thank God you are not an NFL talent evaluator.

adamsjh
08-06-2007, 01:46 PM
I think Matt Flynn will creep into the QB discussion before the year is over. He isn't being talked about much be he has always played well when given the opportunity.

soxscout
08-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I really don't understand the Matt Ryan hate. Sure he had a good O-line, but he still faced plenty of heat in the ACC. He did pretty damn well last year, considering he sprained his ankle in the season opener and then broke his foot in October. He spent six days a week in a boot cast and only took it off to play on Saturdays. You also need to remember the wide outs he has wouldn't sniff the field for an SEC team or most of the ACC. He has some decent up-and-coming WRs to play with this year, but his line will be worse. I don't think 3,500 yards is out of the question, nor is being a first round draft pick.... teams like having a quarterback who is the smartest and toughest player on their team.

08-18-2007, 04:09 PM
matt ryan reminds me a lot of matt hasselbeck a few years back..certainly will be a steal for anyone that drafts him in the later rounds of the 08 draft and definitely has the potential to be an NFL starter much like John Beck in this years draft

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/keepnitgangsta1/Sigs%202/Reggie-Bush.gif

Gribble
08-18-2007, 04:12 PM
matt ryan reminds me a lot of matt hasselbeck a few years back..certainly will be a steal for anyone that drafts him in the later rounds of the 08 draft and definitely has the potential to be an NFL starter much like John Beck in this years draft

BC connection?

08-18-2007, 04:48 PM
tru there is a BC connection but like hasselbeck he has the basic fundamentals that cannot be taught like his strong arm and quick release yet is still regarded as a late round/average prospect.remember hasselbeck was drafted in the 6th round of the '98 draft by the packers.turned out to be a pretty good starting NFL QB when given his chance with another team.if matt ryan is put under the tutelage of a QB anywhere close to Brett Favre we could have a great one here

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/keepnitgangsta1/Sigs%202/Reggie-Bush.gif

TimD
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
How is Sam Keller not in the top 10? I know he's unproven but he's so talented... I think he has to be in the top 10...

1000 post... not really that amazing of one haha

soxscout
08-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Terry Bowden has this to say on Yahoo! Sports in his Heisman preview (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=tb-heisman-082007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):

3. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville – When you see this guy playing quarterback in the Big East, he looks like a man among boys. I'm not just talking about his physical size (6-4, 224) but his demeanor and presence as a leader and field general. He plays especially big in big games and shows Joe Montana-like poise under pressure. He is 18-3 as a starter and led Louisville to a 12-1 record last season, including a 24-13 victory over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, where he was named most valuable player. Louisville should be favored in every game this year, except perhaps at West Virginia, and if he can lead the Cardinals to a victory in Morgantown, he just might take his team to the national championship game.10. Matt Ryan QB, Boston College – Don't be surprised if Brian Brohm and Ryan go 1-2 in the NFL draft in 2008. But because Ryan matriculates in Chestnut Hill, and not a more high-profile football program, he will come into the season under the radar. But don't be surprised when he ends the 2007 season by shattering virtually every ACC passing record. Even though he suffered a sprained ankle in his opening game against Western Michigan and a broken foot in a victory over Virginia Tech on Oct. 12, Ryan put up some pretty impressive numbers in 2006. He led the ACC in total offense (242.2 yards per game) and passing yards per game (245.2) while leading BC to a 10-win season. Ryan's teammates call him "Matty Ice" because he is cool on the field, never losing his composure while staying in charge of the huddle and game plan. No quarterback in college football "manages" the game better than Ryan. He is a tough, gutsy competitor with a powerful arm and excellent mechanics who prefers to stand in the pocket rather than scramble around.

Didn't I give that writeup about Ryan a few days ago? Ha.

soxscout
08-22-2007, 08:58 PM
I saw this in the thread that is now locked:Matt Ryan is Mayocks top QB right now. Supposively the kid has some serious talent.
I just that it should be pointed out -- in the matter of full disclosure -- that Mayock was a captain and All-American ect ect for Boston College so he is probably a bit bias, even though I like hearing what he says about Matt.

TimD
08-22-2007, 09:07 PM
QUARTERBACKS
2. Colt Brennan Hawaii
4. Erik Ainge Tennessee
6. Chad Henne Michigan
9. John David Booty USC
10. Omar Haugabook Troy
12. Sam Kellar Nebraska

no colt mccoy?

P-L
08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
no colt mccoy?

As a RS Sophomore, it is very unlikely that he comes out.

phunnypharm
08-24-2007, 01:54 PM

How do "numbers" in college translate into NFL success again???

Let's see:

Timmy Chang?.......also from Hawaii......

Andre Ware
David Klingler
Ty Detmer
Danny Wuerfful
Tim Rattay
Todd Santos!
Chris Redman
Billy Blanton
Tim Couch
Kliff Kingsbury

All of these QBs are among the BEST EVER at the college level in terms of career and single-season passing "numbers"..........yet none of them was ever a QUALITY NFL QB.

Hawaii's offense is the run-n-shoot........which has always led to big numbers in college football, doesn't require a QB to make difficult coverage reads (because the defense is spread out), and also doesn't force a QB to consistently throw downfield through "small windows" in coverage.

If you want a better "predictor" of NFL success for a college QB..........there are 2 things that MANY of the top NFL QBs have had in common.

#1..........Having >30 career starts
#2..........career >60% completions

Of course, this is not an absolute predictor of success in the NFL........but there is a much stronger correlation than "numbers" in college.

ncst8fan83
08-24-2007, 02:21 PM
10. Matt Ryan QB, Boston College Don't be surprised if Brian Brohm and Ryan go 1-2 in the NFL draft in 2008. But because Ryan matriculates in Chestnut Hill, and not a more high-profile football program, he will come into the season under the radar. But don't be surprised when he ends the 2007 season by shattering virtually every ACC passing record. Even though he suffered a sprained ankle in his opening game against Western Michigan and a broken foot in a victory over Virginia Tech on Oct. 12, Ryan put up some pretty impressive numbers in 2006. He led the ACC in total offense (242.2 yards per game) and passing yards per game (245.2) while leading BC to a 10-win season. Ryan's teammates call him "Matty Ice" because he is cool on the field, never losing his composure while staying in charge of the huddle and game plan. No quarterback in college football "manages" the game better than Ryan. He is a tough, gutsy competitor with a powerful arm and excellent mechanics who prefers to stand in the pocket rather than scramble around.

Ha! Philip Rivers owns his ass. Terry Bowden is such an idiot.

phunnypharm
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
I really haven't followed anything since the draft, or even looked back at any notes. Roughly, my top 5 out of that list (really too lazy to think of anything right now) would probably be

1. Andre Woodson - I'm really jumping on the bandwagon ... but I fully admit that, even last year, I didn't really pay that much attention to Woodson, so it's a very partial view that I have so far.
2. Erik Ainge - If he takes another step forward, he could push for the top spot.
3. Colt Brennan
4. Brian Brohm
5. John David Booty

Actually, I'll add a 6th

6. Sam Kellar

I agree that Ainge could really surprise some people when the Draft comes around.

There probably aren't many people that realize that 2006 was Ainge's first year with David Cutcliffe as his O.C. Cutcliffe is the guy that was the QB coach/O.C. for both Peyton and Eli Manning. In fact, Eli chose Ole Miss simply because Cutcliffe was the head coach there.

In 2006, Ainge looked like a completely different player. His mechanics were much better, and the results showed. His completion percentage in 2006 was 67%...............which pushed his career completion percentage from 51% to 59%.

His 67% completions broke the record by Tennessee QBs (minimum 300 attempts) that was held by Manning at 64.2%.

With another solid season this year...........Ainge will also have recorded more than 30 career starts and likely complete >60% of his career attempts in a PRO-STYLE OFFENSE against the BEST COMPETITION in the country. The defenses in the SEC are far and away the best in the country.........and I'm a Big-10 fan..........so there is certainly no bias there.

Addict
08-24-2007, 03:05 PM
so with all these guys, what rounds are we thinking? How good is this class?

bored of education
08-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Matt Ryan
Ainge
Santos!!

soxscout
08-28-2007, 10:22 AM
It'll be interesting to see Santos without Ball... I think he is enough of a play maker to easily get drafted in the middle rounds, but I don't think he has enough weapons to win the Payton Award.

bored of education
08-28-2007, 01:42 PM
yeah without Ball will be interesting. plus he is only 6'2, but the kid is skilled

soxscout
09-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Matt Ryan is throwing absolute laser beams right now. Easily the best he has looked in a BC uniform, which should be very scary for opposing teams. Look good avoiding the rush too, which has always been a question mark.

soybean
09-01-2007, 05:05 PM
i think keller should be moved down the list and ben olsen should be moved up.

draftguru151
09-01-2007, 05:08 PM
Matt Ryan is throwing absolute laser beams right now. Easily the best he has looked in a BC uniform, which should be very scary for opposing teams. Look good avoiding the rush too, which has always been a question mark.

Too bad he's making some terrible decisions. He does have a cannon though.

soxscout
09-01-2007, 05:14 PM
First game under Logan, doing new things, aside from the first pass of the game, it really does not get better than this out of a college QB.

He is probably going to throw 50 times today, wow.

Travis 24
09-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Taken care of.

Travis, thank God you are not an NFL talent evaluator.

Why not?...I saw John Beck as a great NFL prospect before everyone else did. This site had him at like 9...Scout.com had him at 8-9, up until a few weeks before the draft. I kept him in the top 2 for over a year. I can run through a list of guys I did this with...thats just my favorite example because I got in so many arguements over it..

Travis 24
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, I re-did my rankings..and I'm also gonna go through and "predict" what round, and team..these guys all go to..here we go:

Brian Brohm Louisville - 1st Rnd, Atlanta (Top 5)
Andre Woodson Kentucky - 1st Rnd, Tampa Bay (Top 10)
Colt Brennan Hawaii - 1st Rnd, Baltimore (15-20)
Erik Ainge Tennessee - 2nd Rnd, Jacksonville
Josh Johnson San Diego - 3rd Rnd, Carolina
Matt Ryan Boston College - 3rd Rnd, Kansas City
Sam Kellar Nebraska - 4th Rnd, Dallas
John David Booty USC - 4th Rnd, Tennessee
Chad Henne Michigan - 4th Rnd, Minnesota
Anthony Morelli Penn State - 5th Rnd, Washington
Ricky Santos New Hampshire - 5th Rnd, Indianapolis
Dennis Dixon Oregon - 6th Rnd, St. Louis
Matt Flynn LSU - 7th Rnd, San Francisco
Kyle Wright Miami - 7th Rnd, Atlanta
Bret Meyer Iowa State - 7th Rnd, NY Giants
Omar Haugabook Troy - Undrafted
Adam Tafralis San Jose State - Undrafted

toonsterwu
09-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I'm almost certain I posted in this thread ... although I don't remember as I don't post much. But I wanted to make a comment on the Qb's, so this looked like the best spot.

This may be a good QB class in terms of depth ... but man ... as of now, I'm not in love with any of these guys. Brohm gets so much hype, but he's very, very similar to Brady Quinn in some respects, in terms of their deficiences. I think, and I should've clarified this comment in the other post I made, that I think Brady has a higher ceiling, but I think Brohm has a higher floor. That said, I just don't see this elite NFL top 5 caliber pick QB that some see in Brohm.

I love Woodson, and to an extent, you can make a Russell-Woodson and Quinn-Brohm comparison when comparing the two classes ... but ... Woodson has much more mechanical issues to work on. Woodson is still my number 1 QB (granted, I haven't seen much this year) ... but I'm hesitant to top 5 big board him (granted, I haven't thought much about a top 5 big board ... but I'm almost certain that at best, I'd slide Woodson in at 5.)

Ryan is the guy I like a lot ... and yet, I've seen so much of him ... I'm just not sold he's a top of the first round type QB. I'll try and catch BC at some point. Booty ... meh ... don't see a top half of the first round type QB there either. I still have my questions on Colt Brennan as well. And ... there's something about Keller that bothers me. Physically ... he could have it ... and he'll probably go day 1, but something about Keller still screams Andrew Walter.

There's a few more QB's worthy of discussion, but I'm not that in the loop on things. Short of it is, I don't think QB class as of now has an elite QB talent at the top, but in terms of day 1 talent, it might have more than the last few classes. We'll have to wait and see how it shakes out.

Shiver
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Matt Ryan looked great today and made a few unbelievable throws, including a magnificent fade to the end-zone that went were only his receiver could get it, with GT throwing a lot of blitzes in his face. I really, really like him as a prospect. I think he'll ascend quickly up the boards as the draft process starts churning.

draftguru151
09-15-2007, 10:26 PM
I love Ryan at times but he still has the moments that make me cringe. Amazing arm but he throws off his back foot way too much and still makes some bad decisions.

CARDIAC CAT 7
09-15-2007, 10:52 PM
1a. Andre Woodson, Kentucky, Top 5 Pick (Pros: Great Arm Strength, Decision Making, Calm Under Pressure , Athletic, Great Size, Cons: Streaky when it comes to accuracy)

1b. Brian Brohm, Louisville , Top 5 Pick (Pros: Best Overall Arm in the draft, throws the best deep ball in the draft, Good Under Pressure, Decision Making , Great Pocket Presence, Cons: Pass Happy Offense , Injury?)

3. Matt Ryan , Boston College , Late 1st Round- Seems to find whos open consistently, Great Size , Can Make all the throws
4. Colt Brennan , Hawaii , 1st-2nd Round Pick - Could turn out to be the best QB in the draft but hes a risky pick due to the system he plays in(He needs a Kevin Kolb situation).
5. Erik Ainge, Tennessee , 2-3 Round Pick - If he could just stay healthy or manage to keep his job a whole year what he could really make a name for himself. Is very impressive when running his no huddle offense, Arm Strength is very good, Huge QB (If he could just show what he could do more consistently he could be a 1st Round Pick)

Looking In:
Dennis Dixon,Oregon- Only Dual Threat QB that could actually play QB, needs to bulk up.
John David Booty,USC- If he burns it up he could be the next highly drafted USC QB, but he doesnt seem to have that presence Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart had.
Alex Brink,Washington State- (Dark Horse Prospect) Hasnt really shown anything until the beginging of this year, Spent the offseason with NFL Pros such as Peyton Manning and little bro. Can really throw the ball, if he keeps it up and has big games against some good PAC-10 teams he could sneak into the 1st Day.

soxscout
09-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Matt Ryan played like the best QB in America tonight on national TV. His next four defenses are Army, UMass, BGU, and ND.... probably four more huge games before having to play Va Tech.

Shiver
09-17-2007, 01:53 AM
My Quarterbacks look like such:

1. Andre Woodson

Analysis: Consider me a believer. He has great physical tools and has only built off of a monster junior season. He actually outplayed Jamarcus Russell last year as a Junior. His mechanics need some work and he's a little old as a prospect.

2. Matt Ryan

Analysis: His production as a starter in the ACC cannot be denied. He's playing under two HCs that have NFL coordinating experience. He definitely has the arm strength and has made some wonderful throws. He will 'gunsling' too much, but I'd rather have a QB that's too aggressive than a QB that's too passive with the football.

3a. Brian Brohm
3b. Colt Brennan

Both of these guys are eerily similar and I felt it would be unfair to separate them. They both are putting up monstrous statistics in statistic friendly offensive systems against mostly weak defenses. They have the skills to succeed in the NFL, still I am always worried about potential "system" Quarterbacks. Both Louisville and Hawaii have had Quarterbacks with great stats before, albeit not as physically gifted. I am a skeptic of both and I think Scouts will be as well when the draft machine starts up post-NFL season.

5. Erik Ainge

His horrendous sophomore season was obviously a fluke. He hasn't had the receivers this year to ideally succeed. He still has been good in the SEC, under Cutcliff. I think he could potentially rise above the "system" guys above him.

Addict
09-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Hawaii's offense is the run-n-shoot........which has always led to big numbers in college football, doesn't require a QB to make difficult coverage reads (because the defense is spread out), and also doesn't force a QB to consistently throw downfield through "small windows" in coverage.

If you want a better "predictor" of NFL success for a college QB..........there are 2 things that MANY of the top NFL QBs have had in common.

#1..........Having >30 career starts
#2..........career >60% completions

Brennan:

2005 12 350 515 4,301 68.0% 35 13
2006 14 406 559 5,549 72.6% 58 12

so that's 26 starts (and counting) and a completion percentage of..

756 out of 1074 = 70.4%

what's your point?

Scotty D
09-17-2007, 09:30 AM
Could Brennan possibly be a better fit with Petrino than Brohm?

bored of education
09-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Scott D, I thought about that previously.

Woodson is SICK

jayceheathman
09-18-2007, 04:14 AM
Chase Holbrook is the best of the list. Hopefully he stays for his senior year though. Holbrook to Williams/Dubois/Glenn will light up Auburn this week.

d34ng3l021
09-18-2007, 06:07 AM
Now that I think about it, I think Woodson would be a GREAT fit in Petrino's offense, which calls for taking shots down field, instead of just dinks and dunks.

Not sure I agree with Shiver with Matt Ryan at number 2 now though. I think Brohm has shown more at this point then Matt Ryan has. What I really like about Brohm is his mentality, which I think is an underrated attribute in the NFL. I really love Brohm's decision making ability. He will always take what the defense gives him, and hardly forces errant and ill advised throws. Heres a guy who will keep the offense going on 3rd downs and keep drives alive, while not turning the ball over in dumb situations. I dont know who said it, but someone mentioned that Brohm may not be a top5 QB in the NFL, but he definetly will always be a top10 QB in the league. It makes alot of sense.

Both Woodson and Ryan have a chance to bust, even though they may have the tools. One thing I really dont like about Ryan is how much he turns over the ball. He seems like a guy who would make ill advised throws and try to create plays. I will give it to him though, he doesnt rattle easily.

Woodson seems like a terrific player though. Wouldnt mind having him.

bored of education
09-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Doesn't everyone have a chance to bust
1. Andre Woodson
2. Matt Ryan

d34ng3l021
09-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Doesn't everyone have a chance to bust
1. Andre Woodson
2. Matt Ryan

Yeah, but I would say more so than Brohm.

Shiver
09-18-2007, 01:18 PM
Brohm has played in QB friendly offenses, in a weaker defensive conference. I certainly wouldn't say he's "safe" by any means.

soybean
09-18-2007, 03:30 PM
John david booty needs to be drafted in the 2nd or 3rd. when you're picked in the first, your chance will come sooner than later. I think he could be good if he played backup and sat and learned behind somone for a couple years.

At this point, though, he has way too many balls batted down at the LOS.

09-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Could Brennan possibly be a better fit with Petrino than Brohm?

atlanta isnt necessarily a pass-friendly system that colt brennan could thrive in but he still seems like a better fit there then brohm. atlanta must upgrade their o-line first before a drop back QB with limited mobility like brohm can come in.

toonsterwu
09-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Finally got around to trying to figure out what my top 5 QB's would be ... yeah some of you have been more hardcore than I've been this year. Obviously, this is likely going to change.

1. Andre Woodson - Let's not kid ourselves ... there's mechanical work to be done. That said, if given a year to learn, this kid has all the tools to be special. Reminds me a bit of Air McNair.

2. Matt Ryan - The Hasselbeck comps are often used, and it could be valid.

3. Dennis Dixon - Remember the last Ducks QB that charged up the boards? I'm not saying I love Dixon ... just saying I think the strong possibility exists of him pushing up the boards.

4. Brian Brohm - yes, he'll go higher than this on account of his pedigree. yes, he's a good talent ... and yes he might be a good starter. I'm just not a huge fan. I see a guy who's field of vision is a bit more limited than suggested, and who's deep ball isn't pure enough. Am I perhaps nitpicking? Perhaps.

5. Colt Brennan - I'll be honest ... I'm not sure what it is I don't like.

09-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Finally got around to trying to figure out what my top 5 QB's would be ... yeah some of you have been more hardcore than I've been this year. Obviously, this is likely going to change.

1. Andre Woodson - Let's not kid ourselves ... there's mechanical work to be done. That said, if given a year to learn, this kid has all the tools to be special. Reminds me a bit of Air McNair.

2. Matt Ryan - The Hasselbeck comps are often used, and it could be valid.

3. Dennis Dixon - Remember the last Ducks QB that charged up the boards? I'm not saying I love Dixon ... just saying I think the strong possibility exists of him pushing up the boards.

4. Brian Brohm - yes, he'll go higher than this on account of his pedigree. yes, he's a good talent ... and yes he might be a good starter. I'm just not a huge fan. I see a guy who's field of vision is a bit more limited than suggested, and who's deep ball isn't pure enough. Am I perhaps nitpicking? Perhaps.

5. Colt Brennan - I'll be honest ... I'm not sure what it is I don't like.

i luv that andre woodson to steve mcnair comparison and i surely believe its valid..i dont think dennis dixon will be put into the same situation as either joey harrington or ryan leaf when they each moved up draft boards. i like brohm a lot higher then this just based on pure talent and hes definitely in the same company as andre woodson here.