PDA

View Full Version : Bulger expected to sign lucrative 6-year extension

HawkeyeFan
07-27-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/D2237014E8E9D4C08625732500131918?OpenDocument

He has one year remaining on a four-year, $19.1 million contract, and is expected to sign a six-year extension that on average will pay him just more than $10 million per season.

The guaranteed money in the contract extension amounts to $20 million.

Thank god.

Also, the Rams came to terms with Carriker last night making all of our draft picks signees.

Great day to be a Ram, 2 huge signings happen.

Splat
07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Good job by them if only the Chiefs would pay there star player.

freebirdsrams02
07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Bulger deserves the big contract. He puts up big numbers and is a team leader. Good start of day 1 for the Rams

NGSeiler
07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
A six year deal averaging around $10 million a year with $26 million in guarantees sounds like it's on par with the deal Tom Brady signed two years ago. Good deal for everyone involved, really glad to see this get done now.

Moses
07-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Nice deal by both parties. Salaries are increasing at an alarming rate though.

Vince Lombardi
07-27-2007, 12:11 PM
I've always liked Bulger, he just quietly goes about his job and is statistically one of the top QB's year after year. It's good to see someone who deserves it get a nice payday.

etk
07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
About time, I'm sick of Bucs fans saying how we're gonna sign him this offseason. How often do top-10 QBs make the FA market like that?

princefielder28
07-27-2007, 01:10 PM
The Rams did a great job here in getting him a deal, and Bulger did himself a justice too by getting 62.5 mil

Addict
07-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Nice deal by both parties. Salaries are increasing at an alarming rate though.

they are... it'll blow over though when the cap gets tighter again.

bearsfan_51
07-27-2007, 01:18 PM
That is a TON of guaranteed money. I know the market is increasing but Bulger makes more money than Tom Brady. Think about that...

Moses
07-27-2007, 01:20 PM
they are... it'll blow over though when the cap gets tighter again.

Hopefully. The Packers have like $30 mil in cap room right now I think. That's ridiculous. They could sign 2 Peyton Manning's and still have some cap wiggle room.

princefielder28
07-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Hopefully. The Packers have like $30 mil in cap room right now I think. That's ridiculous. They could sign 2 Peyton Manning's and still have some cap wiggle room.

Thats alright though b/c he'll be able to keep all the youngsters together once their first contract expires

Moses
07-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Thats alright though b/c he'll be able to keep all the youngsters together once their first contract expires

True, I was just making the point that teams probably shouldn't be that far under the cap because it really pushes salaries up. When you can sign a guy for $10m a year and it barely dents your cap it might be time to make some changes.

Addict
07-27-2007, 01:24 PM
True, I was just making the point that teams probably shouldn't be that far under the cap because it really pushes salaries up. When you can sign a guy for $10m a year and it barely dents your cap it might be time to make some changes.

well these huge contracts were a long time coming when they agreed on the cap increase... guys in their contract years thanked their lucky stars.

Geo
07-27-2007, 01:34 PM
I had slight concern that the Jaguars were going to make a play for Bulger after this season, and thus actually be able to contend for a championship, so I'm glad the Rams have made sure that won't happen.

yodabear
07-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Good day for the Rams. Bulger gets re-signed. Sure, its a lot of money, but he diserves it. Then, we get Carriker, our last pick un-signed signed. That is great news. I think we are a star defender away from the promise land, but it is good we have our offensive leader signed.

D-Unit
07-27-2007, 03:35 PM
I thought the Rams would be one of the teams that would possibly draft a first round quarterback in 2008... I, guess that idea can be tossed out the window.

Decent signing. Pray for health. I wonder how this will affect Tony Romo's new contract extension...

yodabear
07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
I thought the Rams would be one of the teams that would possibly draft a first round quarterback in 2008... I, guess that idea can be tossed out the window.

Decent signing. Pray for health. I wonder how this will affect Tony Romo's new contract extension...

I woulda hated that cuz we have a top 10 QB, a top 5 RB, a top 5 WR, and one of the best offensive tackles, so we are a NFC champion caliber offense. We do need to fix up our D, but I am glad cuz we aren't losing that top 10 QB now.

keylime_5
07-27-2007, 03:50 PM
St.Louis is my pick to win the N.West this year. They needed to sign Bulger badly and finally did. That is gonna be a wicked offense this year with Bulger, Holt, Bennett, Bruce, McMichael, Jackson, and Leonard.

keylime_5
07-27-2007, 03:51 PM
That is a TON of guaranteed money. I know the market is increasing but Bulger makes more money than Tom Brady. Think about that...

It will all make sense in about 5 years when everyone signs new contracts. With the cap being so high the guys who sign new contracts will be higher paid than those with old contracts, but only for so long. Transition period.

49erfanatic
07-27-2007, 04:02 PM
It's a signing that needed to be made. But is anyone else concerned that Bulger got $29 million guarenteed when he's only had one season where he's played in all 16 games?

Crazy_Chris
07-27-2007, 04:33 PM
Great move for the rams bulger deserves this big contract... the only thing that struck me is talking about all these contracts getting big so on i read that Jamarcus Russell(also heard it on ESPN) is asking for a $60 Million with 30 Million garunteed that worries me a lot more than the veterans getting big contracts.

PACKmanN
07-27-2007, 05:00 PM

Tom Brady is the better qb but like you said the market is increasing and you cant stop it. If its 6 years and about 10 million a year then thats not bad 6+10= 60, wow now thats a steal.

NGSeiler
07-27-2007, 05:11 PM

I'm thinking about it, and it sounds about right given that we're two years removed from when Brady signed his deal.

Geo
07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Then, we get Carriker, our last pick un-signed signed. That is great news. I think we are a star defender away from the promise land, but it is good we have our offensive leader signed.
The more I think about it, the more I like the Carriker pick by the Rams.

St.Louis is my pick to win the N.West this year. They needed to sign Bulger badly and finally did. That is gonna be a wicked offense this year with Bulger, Holt, Bennett, Bruce, McMichael, Jackson, and Leonard.
I said when Linehan was hired that the Rams were three draft classes away from being a serious playoff team like they once were, but they could get into the Tournament this year if things really go their way and Carriker steps up big.

Seattle repeating is far from a given imo. Matt Hasselbeck is a mediocre at best quarterback who needs Shaun Alexander/the running game to carry him to success - Alexander is another year older and just as one-dimensional as ever, and the offensive line isn't near what it was in 2005. Defensively, the recovery of Marcus Tubbs will be key.

It's a signing that needed to be made. But is anyone else concerned that Bulger got $29 million guarenteed when he's only had one season where he's played in all 16 games?
I'd credit Martz for most if not all of that, Bulger was getting battered in his offense.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Good job by them if only the Chiefs would pay there star player.

I wouldn't give Johnson huge money if I were the Chiefs.......he has too many carries on his legs, and the Chiefs system is like the Broncos I think they could put anyone back there and get great production.

no love
07-27-2007, 06:40 PM
The more I think about it, the more I like the Carriker pick by the Rams.

I said when Linehan was hired that the Rams were three draft classes away from being a serious playoff team like they once were, but they could get into the Tournament this year if things really go their way and Carriker steps up big.

Seattle repeating is far from a given imo. Matt Hasselbeck is a mediocre at best quarterback who needs Shaun Alexander/the running game to carry him to success - Alexander is another year older and just as one-dimensional as ever, and the offensive line isn't near what it was in 2005. Defensively, the recovery of Marcus Tubbs will be key.

I'd credit Martz for most if not all of that, Bulger was getting battered in his offense.

I think the Carriker pick was a very smart move. I don't know how he will transition to being a DT... it might take some time, but he certainly has the physical tools to be a dominating tackle. The position change from end to dt isn't nearly as hard mentally as the transition from end to linebacker.

Plus its not like with Jimmy Kennedy where if he doesn't work out, you are out of luck. They could probably move Carriker to end and he would be successful out there.

Smokey Joe
07-27-2007, 11:42 PM
overpaid if you ask me... but I guess with the way the market it is now a days...

yodabear
07-27-2007, 11:45 PM
overpaid if you ask me... but I guess with the way the market it is now a days...

No, u know u wanted him on the Bears next year to get rid of Sexy Rexy.

Smokey Joe
07-28-2007, 01:06 AM
No, u know u wanted him on the Bears next year to get rid of Sexy Rexy.
I'd prefer McNab when he gets cut.

yodabear
07-28-2007, 04:51 PM
I'd prefer McNab when he gets cut.

Its a very close race between the two for the last spot in my top 5 QBs between the two, when they are healthy of course. Though, I like Bulger, McNabb is better IMO, but there would be no way we could get him, so I am very happy we got Bulger who is a very good QB.

bearsfan_51
07-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I wouldn't give Johnson huge money if I were the Chiefs.......he has too many carries on his legs, and the Chiefs system is like the Broncos I think they could put anyone back there and get great production.
Maybe when their O-line was what it was, I don't think so anymore.

aheineken
07-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Maybe when their O-line was what it was, I don't think so anymore.

Exactly. During Priest's hayday and LJ's early success. I don't think they're at the point anymore, where they can have success with just any runningback.

Fitzgerald11
08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
One word: "overpaid."

PACKmanN
08-02-2007, 02:36 AM

how is 6 years 63 million overpaying a guy? he getting Tom Brady type money and he is up there. I guess he is the most underrated qb in the game. This guy played hurt and had to make something happen with a terrible o-line. Overpay NOPE! he could have easily made almost 100 million in an 7-8 year contract.

yodabear
08-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Not for our franchise QB who would become a free agent and someone prolly woulda out bid us, so no its not.

Shiver
08-02-2007, 01:39 PM
Marc Bulger had a fantastic year last year that went under most people's radar. He is, without a doubt in my mind, a top-5 QB and deserves to be paid as such.