Draft pick undisclosed.

Thoughts?

EDIT :: http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3631

neko4
07-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Tank's replacement?

HoopsDemon12
07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
He wasnt going to play with us anyway... im glad we got somethign out of that trade.... good trade IMO...

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
*Shrug* Depends on what we gave up for him. Obviously they weren't totally comfortable with the depth we have now, which is understandable.

Oh that's right...I remember now that he was part of the Takeo Spikes trade. Well hopefully he'll be happier in Chicago. The irony is that the Eagles signed Ian Scott in part to replace Walker. Walker should be a better fit for our system though.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 02:18 PM
http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=3631

In case anyone wants an article.

The Dynasty
07-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Bills got a 5th round pick according to espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2953545

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 02:38 PM
Eh..can't say I'm a huge fan of that. But he's been a productive starter for the Eagles the last 5 years so hopefully he can help us out this year.

stephenson86
07-29-2007, 03:34 PM
great trade, he will complement tommie harris really well

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Not worth a 5th rounder. The Bills got the better end of this one.

People are overrating Tank Johnson. He was a blue collar player who gets fame because of his thuggery, but on the field, he wasn't exactly Warren Sapp. Losing Tank wasn't that big of a deal.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 03:46 PM
They shouldve went after Kendrick Clancy (who i believe is with ATL now). He wouldve been a nice fit in their scheme. He played well for us the one year he was here, but got booted from Arizona bc they drafted Gabe Watson and I believe they are going to a 3-4, which he is not good in.

I think ATL got themselves a good player in Clancy. He'll thrive there.

Hurricane Ditka
07-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I wonder what this spells out for Dusty Dvorachek, he seemed to be getting some people excited.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
I wonder what this spells out for Dusty Dvorachek, he seemed to be getting some people excited.

Either way he'll get playing time. There's enough PT for Dvorachek, Walker, and Adams to go around.

Walker is a nice fit for the scheme no doubt, and a 5th rounder is only a 5th rounder, I'm probably just more confident with Dvorachek and Adams than most.

Nitschke-Hawk
07-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Yeah they were insane if they thought they'd stop the run of the Rb's they'll be facing this year with Tommie Harris and a bunch of 2nd stringers.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 04:02 PM
Darwin Walker wasn't exactly a run stopping presence in Philly. I don't see how he replaces Tank. He can provide a decent penetrator on 3rd downs as a backup, but I don't see him taking up blockers like Tank or Scott did.

BUSTKUNTLAWL
07-29-2007, 04:04 PM
Since when was Tank a beast against the run? He was usually hit or miss. He usually was very disruptive on a play or got flat out owned and pushed back 6 yards.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Since when was Tank a beast against the run? He was usually hit or miss. He usually was very disruptive on a play or got flat out owned and pushed back 6 yards.

Im not saying Tank was the best either, but Im just not understanding the fit right now. Wouldn't it be best for them to go after a guy who can occupy blockers? Walker is a penetrator.

Unless they run a dline that has no NT? I know NYG will be doing that this year (something Im strongly opposed to), if thats the case, then yeah, Walker is a good fit.

liquidswords
07-29-2007, 04:10 PM
They shouldve went after Kendrick Clancy (who i believe is with ATL now). He wouldve been a nice fit in their scheme. He played well for us the one year he was here, but got booted from Arizona bc they drafted Gabe Watson and I believe they are going to a 3-4, which he is not good in.

I think ATL got themselves a good player in Clancy. He'll thrive there.

Clancy plays for the Saints.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 04:12 PM
Clancy plays for the Saints.

Oh. Well, he won't have as much success there as he wouldve in ATL. He's a solid player though. One of those underappreciated types. Wouldve been a great fit in Chicago.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Im not saying Tank was the best either, but Im just not understanding the fit right now. Wouldn't it be best for them to go after a guy who can occupy blockers? Walker is a penetrator.

Unless they run a dline that has no NT? I know NYG will be doing that this year (something Im strongly opposed to), if thats the case, then yeah, Walker is a good fit.
We want a NT that can get sacks too. Everyone on the D-line is expected to get sacks. That's why they didn't even try to resign Scot. The fact that Walker can play the nose and gets a high number of sacks per year made him appealing to the Bears I'm sure.

PACKmanN
07-29-2007, 04:21 PM
bigbluedefense imo they should have got Kenderick Allen, Im still surprised we didn't give him an offer to stay. He can take Williams spot when he becomes a FA next year and be a back up to Harrell.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 04:24 PM
We want a NT that can get sacks too. Everyone on the D-line is expected to get sacks. That's why they didn't even try to resign Scot. The fact that Walker can play the nose and gets a high number of sacks per year made him appealing to the Bears I'm sure.

Im curious to see if any changes will be made scheme wise now that Rivera is gone. Im not sure if you guys have a true NT, we're not running that anymore with the Giants. We're having a left and right DT, opposed to a NT and UT. Im strongly against that ideology, I personally feel that you have to have a NT to help the linebackers out. Thats a big reason why Philly's defense isn't that great against the run. No NT, and overpursuing OLBs on the blitz who miss their gap.

bigbluedefense
07-29-2007, 04:26 PM
Blue imo they should have got Kenderick Allen, Im still surprised we didn't give him an offer to stay. He can take Williams spot when he becomes a FA next year and be a back up to Harrell.

Well, from what BF51 says, theyre lookin for a guy who can get sacks too. Allen isn't really that guy. Clancy could be, he was a good penetrator as well.

Id still like Allen in that front though. I think he has some personal issues however, I think thats why GB is reluctant to resign him. Thats why the Giants let him go.

TheChampIsHere
07-29-2007, 04:32 PM
pretty much like the Bills traded away Spikes for a whole lot of nothing.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Im curious to see if any changes will be made scheme wise now that Rivera is gone. Im not sure if you guys have a true NT, we're not running that anymore with the Giants. We're having a left and right DT, opposed to a NT and UT. Im strongly against that ideology, I personally feel that you have to have a NT to help the linebackers out. Thats a big reason why Philly's defense isn't that great against the run. No NT, and overpursuing OLBs on the blitz who miss their gap.
Well, on top of us having linebackers with size, our safties are both big hitters. I think that they will end up playing Archuleta in the box more often to compensate for a smaller/quicker D-line. The only downside to that is if we can't get pressure on the QB quickly we'll likely get beat deep. It's all about the numbers game.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 04:46 PM

And Kelly Holcomb. To their defense, however, it's not like anyone was beating down the door for an often-injured player that's getting up there in age.

PACKmanN
07-29-2007, 05:08 PM

no they got a 5th and 7th and really Holcomb is not worth much. But the Eagles still got a still Spikes>7th+5th rounders.

Smokey Joe
07-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Either way he'll get playing time. There's enough PT for Dvorachek, Walker, and Adams to go around.

Walker is a nice fit for the scheme no doubt, and a 5th rounder is only a 5th rounder, I'm probably just more confident with Dvorachek and Adams than most.
Hey, this is a very good pickup. Walker adds some needed depth to the DT spot for us. I'd rather not have a late 5th round pick next year and have Walker in there if someone gets hurt rather then have a late 5th round pick and Garay in there if someone gets hurt.

D-Unit
07-29-2007, 05:18 PM
For a 5th rounder? That doesn't hurt.

BufFan71
07-29-2007, 05:19 PM
for the bills...the entire trade was a success...
they got rid of a LB who didnt fit the scheme....and prob got the most they could....
got rid of a QB that started contraversy in the locker room when losman first started...

and got a 7th, and a 5th....

and the bills arent afraid to let players who were drafted in later rounds start...

OSUGiants17
07-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Not worth a 5th rounder. The Bills got the better end of this one.

People are overrating Tank Johnson. He was a blue collar player who gets fame because of his thuggery, but on the field, he wasn't exactly Warren Sapp. Losing Tank wasn't that big of a deal.
yea it really wasn't a big deal.

drmoyer421
07-29-2007, 07:24 PM
According to NFL.com and Marv Levy, the pick for Walker is adjustable and contingent on playing time and NOT a def. pick... could be higher??

"Levy added the draft pick the Bills receive will depend on Walker's playing time in Chicago this season. The Bills would've been forced to return Walker to Philadelphia in exchange for a sixth-round pick if the player had not reported by Aug. 5. Bears general manger Jerry Angelo said the deadline no longer applies. "

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/BUF/10274012

Bearsfan123
07-29-2007, 07:31 PM
so it could become a 4th rder. Yeah, okay its still not a bad trade. The Bears had 4 D-tackles Tommie, Dusty, Adams, and Garay

Tommie is coming of injury
Dusty is basically a rookie coming off injury
Adams is a ? because who knows if he'll fit right
and Garay is a guy who doesnt seem to be overly talented (but still a decent backup)

I like the pickup and even if Dusty and Adams show us that they are solid. Extra pass-rushers is never a bad thing.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Actually nobody has confirmed what it is, so the fact that it is playing time dependent doesn't mean anything. That could mean that it's a conditional 5th that could be a 6th, etc. Either way, the difference between a late 4th, and a late 6th, really isn't that big of a deal to anyone except us draft dorks. Once you get past about the mid 3rd round it's really dependent upon the team's specific boards.

SFbear
07-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Garay had a hamstring pull this weekend in training camp so I think that may have contributed to a sense of urgency for the trade.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Garay had a hamstring pull this weekend in training camp so I think that may have contributed to a sense of urgency for the trade.
Barring injuries or an Alex Brown trade this pretty much ensures that Garay is going to get cut.

SFbear
07-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Barring injuries or an Alex Brown trade this pretty much ensures that Garay is going to get cut.

Yeah definitely back to the practice squad. Garret Wolfe was also had a hamstring pull so we might be shopping around for some cheap RB depth.

drmoyer421
07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Actually nobody has confirmed what it is, so the fact that it is playing time dependent doesn't mean anything. That could mean that it's a conditional 5th that could be a 6th, etc. Either way, the difference between a late 4th, and a late 6th, really isn't that big of a deal to anyone except us draft dorks. Once you get past about the mid 3rd round it's really dependent upon the team's specific boards.

SIRIUS NFL radio is reporting that the trade is a 4th that could possibly be a 3rd

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 08:58 PM
SIRIUS NFL radio is reporting that the trade is a 4th that could possibly be a 3rd
Wow. If that's the case I am not a fan of this trade at all.

It's not that Walker is a bad player, in fact if anything he's been somewhat underrated his whole career, and he fits the system great. That being said, a conditional 3rd rounder for a guy that will be 30 by the end of the season? The good news is that we have San Diego's 3rd rounder for next year, but still.....don't like it.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 09:01 PM
Eh....ESPN.com still says conditional 5th so I'll hope that is correct. Our FO is one of the best in football so I would hope they wouldn't give up a first day pick that easily.

bearsfan_51
07-29-2007, 09:06 PM
Chicagobears.com says they plan on him starting next to Tommie Harris and that an extension is in the works.

Geo
07-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Walker at NT? I guess we'll see how it and if it works, although I think the Bears would be better served playing Anthony Adams next to Tommie Harris. Sub in Waker for Adams in pass-rushing situations, and also have the benefit of subbing in Walker for Harris when he needs a breather and to keep their defensive playmaker as fresh as possible for a long season.

drmoyer421
07-29-2007, 09:19 PM
either way its a decent trade for all teams involved.

Eagles -
Got a decent LB in Takeo Spikes, if healthy, could make a impact on D
Rec'd a veteran backup QB

Bills -
Got rid of some high salary, when they felt thier youth in LB Ellison and QB Nall had matched or exceeded the talent of the veterans they were getting rid of

a conditional 7th round pick
a possible condidtional 5th/4th round pick

Bears -
Walker, who has been constant at getting at the passer, and fortified the Dline

TheChampIsHere
07-30-2007, 03:11 AM
no they got a 5th and 7th and really Holcomb is not worth much. But the Eagles still got a still Spikes>7th+5th rounders.

yeah a 5th and 7th rounder for Takeo Spikes and Kelly Holcomb is a pretty godawful trade if you ask me. I know the Bills wanted to get rid of Spikes, but damn they sure didnt get much for a quality player who is gonna turn out to be a great pickup for the Eagles. Even with Crowell and the addition of Poz its not like the Bills are set at LB, they may find themselves missing Spikes.

Caddy
07-30-2007, 04:42 AM
I think it's a good trade. With Dvoracek as the probable starter, this gives him a little more time to adjust to the NFL.

awfullyquiet
07-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Yeah definitely back to the practice squad. Garret Wolfe was also had a hamstring pull so we might be shopping around for some cheap RB depth.

Jesus, you people hear injury and think it's season ending.
Do you not remember EVERY YEAR, guys get hamstring injuries coming out of 3-pt, doing cuts, because they haven't been doing THAT all spring.
TO? hamstring injury, entire pre-season, came out, played fine.
I think you're overhyping it. Besides. Lovie says that it's not anyting serious.

"Devin Hester [...] was taken out of practice after meeting with team training staff and complaining of a little stiffness. "I just held him out," Smith said. "[...] ... We just don't want to overdo it." Smith also held left tackle John Tait out of practice, along with running back Garrett Wolfe and defensive tackle Antonio Garay, the latter two with hamstring strains. ..." -- Chgo Trib. This morning (like half an hour ago)

so. it's how lovie runs it. don't kill the guys in this gorgeous chicago weather.

#1chiefs_fan
07-30-2007, 04:25 PM
will he show up to camp with his current contract??? isn't he really simalar to Tommie Harris??? he more of 3 tech than a nose tackle.

BufFan71
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
no he still wants a new contract

Staubach12
07-30-2007, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't expect an incredible impact. He's not Tank Johnson, and that's just the way it is. But it is good depth for a 5th round pick.

bearsfan_51
07-30-2007, 08:45 PM
I wouldn't expect an incredible impact. He's not Tank Johnson, and that's just the way it is. But it is good depth for a 5th round pick.
He's as good, if not better than Tank Johnson. Look at the numbers.

Lee Evans83
07-31-2007, 01:33 PM
We got a 5th and a 7th for two guys we were gonna cut, explain to me how this was a bad trade

NGSeiler
08-01-2007, 01:16 AM
Rotoworld is reporting that the Bears gave Walker a five-year, $25 million extension that includes $8-9 million in bonuses and $3.5 million in incentives. Based on the figures, I would imagine they're going to start him.

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Haven't been around, so late commenting on this, but fabulous trade for us, and combined with the Chris Harris trade, we got the pick back (and in all likelihood, it'll be higher than our original pick). And the thing is, if the contract reports are right, we don't have a "real" long term committment, thus meaning, if someone, like Dvoracek, steps up, we can move on from Darwin next year. Adds depth at a key spot, good system fit, solid veteran.

It's a shame what happened for Buffalo ... but tis better than the 6th they would've gotten in sending him back.

Geo
08-02-2007, 09:33 PM
(Re: Buffalo) ... especially if Walker plays enough snaps in 2007 to escalate the 5th round pick to a 4th round pick, which could be likely imo.