PDA

View Full Version : Best Offensive Tackles

PACKmanN
08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
List these offensive tackles in order of which do you think will be a better pro.

Sam Barker
Jake Long
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Jared Gaither
Barry Richardson

Each of these guys are/were excepted to go in the top 10 of the draft now which one do you guys think will have more successes in the nfl? list them in order.

keylime_5
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
1-Thomas
2-Long
3-Ferguson
4-Baker
5-Richardson
6-Brown
7-Gaither

HoopsDemon12
08-01-2007, 08:56 PM
#1 Levi Brown
#2 D'Brickashaw Ferguson
#3 Sam Baker
#4 Jake Long(RT)
#5 Joe Thomas(RT)
#6 Barry Richardson
#7 Jared Gaither

i think by the mid way point in thier careers long and thomas will be right tackles and not left tackles... i jsut dont think they have the best skills set for that side... and i know brown is a right tackle... but thats beause leinart is a lefty

cardsalltheway
08-01-2007, 08:57 PM
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Sam Barker
4. Jake Long
5. Levi Brown
6. Barry Richardson
7. Jared Gaither

Michigan
08-01-2007, 09:04 PM
1. Jake Long
2. Joe Thomas
3. D'Brickishaw Ferguson
4. Levi Brown
5. Sam Baker
6. Barry Richardson
7. Jared Gaither (why's he on this list?)

keylime_5
08-01-2007, 09:34 PM
#1 Levi Brown
#2 D'Brickashaw Ferguson
#3 Sam Barker
#4 Jake Long(RT)
#5 Joe Thomas(RT)
#6 Barry Richardson
#7 Jared Gaither

i think by the mid way point in thier careers long and thomas will be right tackles and not left tackles... i jsut dont think they have the best skills set for that side... and i know brown is a right tackle... but thats beause leinart is a lefty

Brown is a perfect fit in Arizona with Leinart being a lefty and the right side being Matt's blindside. Thomas is a better fit at LT, he is a great pass blocker and is great at getting quickly into his stance...he has great skills for a Left tackle, but is not overly strong and overpowering as a run blocker, so I don't think he'd be as good of a RT. Strongly disagree with you there. With Long your point is valid though, however I think he'll be fine at LT.

Man_Of_Steel
08-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Jake Long
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Sam Baker
Barry Richardson
Jared Gaither

draftguru151
08-01-2007, 11:45 PM
Joe Thomas
D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Sam Baker
Jake Long
Barry Richardson
Jared Gaither
Levi Brown

Thomas and Ferguson are very far ahead of the rest of the group. Of the bottom 5 I only think Baker and maybe Gaither end up at LT.

Sniper
08-01-2007, 11:50 PM
#1 Levi Brown
#2 D'Brickashaw Ferguson
#3 Sam Barker
#4 Jake Long(RT)
#5 Joe Thomas(RT)
#6 Barry Richardson
#7 Jared Gaither

Not being a PSU homer by any chance are you?

jbeans187
08-02-2007, 12:02 AM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
Jared Gaither
Sam Baker
Barry Richardson
Jake Long

tEk
08-02-2007, 12:28 AM
List these offensive tackles in order of which do you think will be a better pro.

Sam Barker
Jake Long
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Jared Gaither
Barry Richardson

Each of these guys are/were excepted to go in the top 10 of the draft now which do you guys will think will successes more? list them in order.
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Sam Barker
4. Jake Long
5. Levi Brown
6. Barry Richardson
7. Jared Gaither
i love how they both spelled his name wrong.

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 12:32 AM
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Joe Thomas
3a Sam Baker
3b Jake Long
5. Levi Brown
Barry Richardson
Jared Gaither

Those last two don't even deserve to be mentioned with the other 5.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 12:50 AM
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Joe Thomas
3a Sam Baker
3b Jake Long
5. Levi Brown
Barry Richardson
Jared Gaither

Those last two don't even deserve to be mentioned with the other 5.

Right because a guy in already in the NFL learning from JO is going to be nothing....................... :rolleyes:

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Right because a guy in already in the NFL learning from JO is going to be nothing....................... :rolleyes:

People underestimate the intelligence that goes along with being an offensive lineman. I don't believe someone who failed out of college will be able to do that well in the NFL at that position.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 01:20 AM
People underestimate the intelligence that goes along with being an offensive lineman. I don't believe someone who failed out of college will be able to do that well in the NFL at that position.

Hey Jared, block this guy for the entire game. Yeah thats rocket science there...........

Green Bay Scat
08-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey Jared, block this guy for the entire game. Yeah thats rocket science there...........

coming from an offensive lineman in college, well be it a JC, its really not that hard. The plays are really basic, what the hard part is is where you go to different defenses and when the blitzs hit where to go. Every OLineman knows that the twist is the worst and best thing a DLineman can do. On a pass, he should never get their in time, on a run it ***** with your angle. Since hes an OT he will probably do make cut offs, getting his shoulder pinned or cutting him. Honestly, OLine is complicated and easy at the same time

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 01:40 AM

Hey Peyton, throw to that guy.
Hey LT, run over there.
Hey Calvin, Run and catch the ball.

Each position has its own complications to it and you can't simplify it the way you just did. Scat made just a few of the points that I was alluding to. And to be a franchise left tackle, you need to be able to read coverage very well because if you screw up, your QB is in a world of hurt.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Hey Peyton, throw to that guy.
Hey LT, run over there.
Hey Calvin, Run and catch the ball.

Each position has its own complications to it and you can't simplify it the way you just did. Scat made just a few of the points that I was alluding to. And to be a franchise left tackle, you need to be able to read coverage very well because if you screw up, your QB is in a world of hurt.

Even more reason why learning from a future Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden will allow him to learn the intracrencies(sp?) of the position will make him a better player in the long run. Besides there's a big difference between book smarts and football smarts......

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-02-2007, 03:12 AM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Sam Barker
Levi Brown
Jake Long
Barry Richardson
Jared Gaither

Ferguson and Thomas are on another level, and one more thing to put in, what about Marcus McNiel?

Caddy
08-02-2007, 03:18 AM
1. Ferguson
2. Thomas
3. Long
4. Baker
5. Brown
6. Richardson
7. Gaither

bored of education
08-02-2007, 07:03 AM
Brick
Brown
James Marten

Iamcanadian
08-02-2007, 07:43 AM
1. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
2. Joe Thomas
3. Sam Barker
4. Jake Long
5. Levi Brown
6. Barry Richardson
7. Jared Gaither

This looks like a solid list to me although I don't know why Gaither is even on a list.

Bearsfan123
08-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Even more reason why learning from a future Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden will allow him to learn the intracrencies(sp?) of the position will make him a better player in the long run. Besides there's a big difference between book smarts and football smarts......

you my friend are hopeless. Will he benefit greatly from sitting behind Ogden? Yes, definately, but will it guarantee he actually learns the position from him? Not at all. The position requires him to make a judgement call, and if he makes the wrong one, from lack of ability to read the defense, the quarterback will suffer. And although there is a big difference in book and football smarts, having both usually is to your benefit. Like memorization of what blitz packages they like to run from certain formations, knowing player blitzes most often etc. Terry Bradshaw I believe didnt have the greatest book smarts and hes a hall of famer, but we are not talking about Bradshaw, and Im pretty sure he never flunked out of college. Im not saying Gaither's gonna be bad, im just saying that if you think hes gonna magically improve to pro bowl level because there's a hall of famer in front of him trying to teach him, dont bet on it.

Oh and before you ask, I brought up Bradshaw because I felt that you might bring him up in an attempt to bring a positive light on your argument of a less book smart guy with great football intelligence.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
you my friend are hopeless. Will he benefit greatly from sitting behind Ogden? Yes, definately, but will it guarantee he actually learns the position from him? Not at all. The position requires him to make a judgement call, and if he makes the wrong one, from lack of ability to read the defense, the quarterback will suffer. And although there is a big difference in book and football smarts, having both usually is to your benefit. Like memorization of what blitz packages they like to run from certain formations, knowing player blitzes most often etc. Terry Bradshaw I believe didnt have the greatest book smarts and hes a hall of famer, but we are not talking about Bradshaw, and Im pretty sure he never flunked out of college. Im not saying Gaither's gonna be bad, im just saying that if you think hes gonna magically improve to pro bowl level because there's a hall of famer in front of him trying to teach him, dont bet on it.

Oh and before you ask, I brought up Bradshaw because I felt that you might bring him up in an attempt to bring a positive light on your argument of a less book smart guy with great football intelligence.

This post is an excellent example of someone thinking they are of advanced intelligence, yet are really only average. Gaither's athletic ability combined with his football intelligence will ultimately allow him to succeed. If you bothered to actually do any research, you would see that the Ravens did their due dilligence on Jared by bringing in the Maryland coaching staff to address the issues he had with the Terps. Ralph stressed to the Ravens that intelligence was not a problem with Jared, his academics were a result of him being a typical jock who put football first and academics second. He never had a problem with the playbook or schemes, he only struggled in the classroom because frankly he wasn't there very much. Once he realized that he couldn't get his grades in order he switched his total focus to getting prepared for the Supplemental Draft. Gaither will be a steal with only a 5th round pick down the line, and all the "bashing" is really jealousy from fans of teams unwilling to take the chance on him.

Bearsfan123
08-02-2007, 11:25 AM
This post is an excellent example of someone thinking they are of advanced intelligence, yet are really only average. Gaither's athletic ability combined with his football intelligence will ultimately allow him to succeed. If you bothered to actually do any research, you would see that the Ravens did their due dilligence on Jared by bringing in the Maryland coaching staff to address the issues he had with the Terps. Ralph stressed to the Ravens that intelligence was not a problem with Jared, his academics were a result of him being a typical jock who put football first and academics second. He never had a problem with the playbook or schemes, he only struggled in the classroom because frankly he wasn't there very much. Once he realized that he couldn't get his grades in order he switched his total focus to getting prepared for the Supplemental Draft. Gaither will be a steal with only a 5th round pick down the line, and all the "bashing" is really jealousy from fans of teams unwilling to take the chance on him.

i hope your right. I want the guy to succeed. I like the ravens, but i doubt hes gonna suddenly make some pro-bowl transition. And no, Im not of advanced intelligence, but i had to go through a debate for school and a lawyer told me that if I know something a person can use against me, to bring it up, because if I state it first then it leaves you with a less, "shock value" i think he said. And for the Ravens doing their due diligence, my thought on that is, I bet all the teams interested in him did their due diligence so thats a very moot point imo. I would hope all the teams would talk to their coaches and get assurances before they use a pick on the guy. And im not bashing him im trying to tell you to be cautiously optimistic. He really wasnt all that great at Maryland and you shouldnt expect him to become a pro-bowler, ar at the very least, not for a few years.

cardsalltheway
08-02-2007, 12:27 PM

Lock up Roy Hall for the HOF. He's gonna be learning from Marvin Harrison, how can he fail?!?!?

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Lock up Roy Hall for the HOF. He's gonna be learning from Marvin Harrison, how can he fail?!?!?

Way to go to an extreme from a simple comment. I'd like to ridicule you but you seem to have that done a great job yourself.

TACKLE
08-02-2007, 12:36 PM
1. Jake Long
2. D'Brickshaw
3. Sam Baker
4. Joe Thomas
5. Levi Brown
6. Barry Richardson

HoopsDemon12
08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Brown is a perfect fit in Arizona with Leinart being a lefty and the right side being Matt's blindside. Thomas is a better fit at LT, he is a great pass blocker and is great at getting quickly into his stance...he has great skills for a Left tackle, but is not overly strong and overpowering as a run blocker, so I don't think he'd be as good of a RT. Strongly disagree with you there. With Long your point is valid though, however I think he'll be fine at LT.

Well yes i know his run blocking isnt great... but i just dont think he is goign to be a star offensive tackle i guess... sure he will be solid.. but i dont think he is the star player that some people make him out to be

Not being a PSU homer by any chance are you?

I've liked browns potential over thomas(ans his small arms, sorry i had to throw that in) since the begininning... i know there a fair amount of scouts who belived that brown actually has the potential to be better than thomas in the future... and i aslo think he will be a better pro...pro bowler

HoopsDemon12
08-02-2007, 12:47 PM
i love how they both spelled his name wrong.

its because we copied and pasted the names in the first quote and then just re-ordered them.....

cardsalltheway
08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Way to go to an extreme from a simple comment. I'd like to ridicule you but you seem to have that done a great job yourself.

Taking extremes from a simple comment? You're the one who thought that someone saying that Jared Gaither wasn't in the same league as a group of top 10 pick tackles meant he thought he would amount to nothing.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Taking extremes from a simple comment? You're the one who thought that someone saying that Jared Gaither wasn't in the same league as a group of top 10 pick tackles meant he thought he would amount to nothing.

Gaither is in the NFL and your speculating on potential? Go away kid you bother me.

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 01:11 PM
Gaither is in the NFL and your speculating on potential? Go away kid you bother me.

That was possibly the worst argument I have read. You know if Sam Baker and Jake Long flunked out of school they could be in the NFL as well.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 01:14 PM
That was possibly the worst argument I have read. You know if Sam Baker and Jake Long flunked out of school they could be in the NFL as well.

Your only argument is grades, his athletic ability more then qualifies the risk. Stop being a hater.

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 01:16 PM

So every OT drafted in the last few years should be on this list, since they're all in the NFL they clearly have the potential. But wait isn't Terrance Pennington in the NFL, but he was a 7th rounder so he doesn't have potential.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 01:18 PM
So every OT drafted in the last few years should be on this list, since they're all in the NFL they clearly have the potential. But wait isn't Terrance Pennington in the NFL, but he was a 7th rounder so he doesn't have potential.

Way to troll!

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Way to troll!

Way to keep coming up with terrible arguments.

keylime_5
08-02-2007, 01:25 PM
I agree with the notion that Thomas and Ferguson are on a different level than the rest, but I think Long is gonna be just as good of a pro b/c of his power and agressiveness. He'll be an elite run blocking LT in the pros too like Pace and Ogden and Jones, something Ferguson and Thomas aren't. Pass blocking not as good as the Thomas/Ferguson, but run blocking is superior. That's why I put Long at #2. I think Ferguson, Thomas, and Long will all be perennial pro bowlers and the others won't be at that level.

cardsalltheway
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM

That was awesome :D

Michigan
08-02-2007, 02:30 PM

Comparing Roy Hall to Jared Gaither isn't extreme at all... Hall was a fifth rounder with great measurables (6'3 240 4.41) who did nothing in college, pretty much all Gaither can brag about too...

etk
08-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Sam Barker
Jake Long
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Jared Gaither
Barry Richardson

Each of these guys are/were excepted to go in the top 10 of the draft now which do you guys will think will successes more? list them in order.

1. Jake Long
2. D'Brick
3. Sam Baker
4. Joe Thomas
5. Barry Richardson
6. Jared Gaither
7. Levi Brown

cardsalltheway
08-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Why are you so low on Levi Brown ETK?

BamaFalcon59
08-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Joe Thomas
D'Brickshaw Furguson
Jake Long
Barry Richardson
Sam Baker
Levi Brown

I guess I like Richardson a bit more than others.

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:32 PM

Sam Barker
Jake Long
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Jared Gaither
Barry Richardson

Well, my best guess on how they would do as pros would be (and this isn't a great comparison, as some of those guys are going to end up at RT/are at RT)

1. Levi Brown - I was not a big fan of Levi Brown at all ... but this is more of a trust in Russ Grimm feel. I think Russ is a top OL guy, and Levi has the athletic tools.
2. Sam Baker - Probably a stunner for old posters that know me ... in that, I skipped over Ferguson. But I like Baker, I really do. Of course ... another year's worth of film ... and then we'd have to see the situation he lands in when he gets to the NFL.
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson - I think he'll be fine in pass protection, and his run blocking will develop.
4. Jake Long - He is what he is. Never gonna be "flashy", whatever flashy is for OT's, but he'll be solid.
5. Barry Richardson
6. Joe Thomas
7. Jared Gaither

That said, I think I could reorder this and still feel good about how it comes out.

etk
08-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Why are you so low on Levi Brown ETK?

I think his upside and athleticism are very limited compared to the other 6. He will be an okay starter but never a dominant one IMO. If he didn't have Russ Grimm to fix his sloppy technique and mechanics he would be a complete bust.

DG151 also ranked him last, so I'm not the only one that ranked him lowly or thought he was a reach at #5.

Sniper
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
1. Jake Long
2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
3. Sam Baker
4. Joe Thomas
5. Barry Richardson
6. Levi Brown
7. Jared Gaither

JoeMontainya
08-03-2007, 01:31 PM
Im shocked......the Browns fan said Joe Thomas
The Penn State fan said Levi Brown
THe Jets fan said Brick
USC fan threw out Baker which is very funny.
And the Michigan fan said Long is the best.

If this isnt bias I dont know what is.

Even more shocking, the only one from the last 2 years to make a pro bowl (Marcus McNeil) was left off for whatever reason. IMO Brick isnt going to be great. He gave up way to many sacks last year considering that is his strong point.

McNeil
Thomas
Long
Brown
Brick

keylime_5
08-03-2007, 01:53 PM
McNeill wasn't a first round pick, which is why I think he was left off the initial list thingy. Gaither was on there b/c he said he was "agreed upon" to be a first round pick, I guess meaning that if he wasn't in the Supp.Draft he might've been a 1st rounder. So it was supposed to only include former top 10 picks at OT and future top 10 picks.

BigDawg819
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Well for all the Gaither haters out there, after being in camp for only a week he's been working with the 1st team offense for the whole week with JO out and been shutting down the likes of a Terrell Suggs. The NFL's #1 ranked defense is high on him so that right there speaks volumes to his on the field play.

Sniper
08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Well for all the Gaither haters out there, after being in camp for only a week he's been working with the 1st team offense for the whole week with JO out and been shutting down the likes of a Terrell Suggs. The NFL's #1 ranked defense is high on him so that right there speaks volumes to his on the field play.

Because training camp is the only indicator of what will happen.

BigDawg819
08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Because training camp is the only indicator of what will happen.

Yeah that's what I meant............. :rolleyes:

For a guy that has just started his career, its all that there is to go on.

HerthaFootballFan
08-04-2007, 10:43 AM
Jared Lorenzen. He's been amazing in training camp so far and with his Size/athleticism he could be a probowl LT.

PoopSandwich
08-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Way to keep coming up with terrible arguments.

That is what he is best at doing.

PoopSandwich
08-04-2007, 11:17 AM

I hope he does line up at LT pretty soon, Wimbley will TEAR him apart.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I hope he does line up at LT pretty soon, Wimbley will TEAR him apart.

Yeah because the Browns are know for their vaunted defense. Get a clue......

draftguru151
08-04-2007, 01:53 PM
What does a team's unit have to do with one player? Wimbley had a fantastic first year.

BigDawg819
08-04-2007, 02:06 PM
What does a team's unit have to do with one player? Wimbley had a fantastic first year.

Its sarcasm, maybe you've heard of it? And while he had a fantastic year last year, it doesn't guarantee the same results this year.

HerthaFootballFan
08-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Its sarcasm, maybe you've heard of it? And while he had a fantastic year last year, it doesn't guarantee the same results this year.

How was that sarcastic? Maybe my english prevents me from understanding but could you please explain?

Mr. Stiller
08-04-2007, 04:29 PM
Capizzi, Pittsburghs UDFA LT has stoned LaMarr Woodley, Arnold Harrison, James Harrison and Clark Haggans...

He's goign to be all pro! </sarcasm>

Gaither could be good, however Saying because he's learning from Ogden and he stopped Suggs 1 day does not a Pro-Bowl LT make.

keylime_5
08-04-2007, 04:53 PM

What does the fact that the Browns overall defense is only mediocre have to do with Kam Wimbley as an individual player? He had 11 sacks as a rookie and is kicking butt in training camp this year...he has more than just a dip move to get past tackles now, which means that his pass rush is improved even more. I think Wimbley will destroy Gaither!!!!!!!!!

JETS5128
08-04-2007, 05:17 PM
Im shocked......the Browns fan said Joe Thomas
The Penn State fan said Levi Brown
THe Jets fan said Brick
USC fan threw out Baker which is very funny.
And the Michigan fan said Long is the best.

If this isnt bias I dont know what is.

Even more shocking, the only one from the last 2 years to make a pro bowl (Marcus McNeil) was left off for whatever reason. IMO Brick isnt going to be great. He gave up way to many sacks last year considering that is his strong point.

McNeil
Thomas
Long
Brown
Brick

lol. not a single jet fan has even posted their rankings in this thread. And you can't make an assumption for how someone's whole career is going to pan out after just one year, it's not even close to enough evidence. Plus he was going up against Jason Taylor, Aaron Schobel and the Patriots D. Not exactly a cake walk, especially for a rookie

mqtirishfan
08-04-2007, 05:27 PM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Levi Brown
Barry Richardson
Sam Barker
Jared Gaither

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 02:05 AM
What does the fact that the Browns overall defense is only mediocre have to do with Kam Wimbley as an individual player? He had 11 sacks as a rookie and is kicking butt in training camp this year...he has more than just a dip move to get past tackles now, which means that his pass rush is improved even more. I think Wimbley will destroy Gaither!!!!!!!!!

So Gaither is handling Suggs in training camp but can't handle Wimbley. Is that what your saying?

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 10:43 AM
Jared Lorenzen >>>> Ogden!!!!!!!

TimD
08-05-2007, 11:49 AM
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Marcus McNeil
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Levi Brown
Sam Barker

other 2 aren't in the same level

ccB
08-05-2007, 01:35 PM
Now I do agree that Gaither should not be at the top of this list but I do not think he should be consistantly last. If he wasnt in the supplemental draft and playing in college instead I have a feeling everyone wouldnt be ranking him so low. Before he got declared ineligible to return to school a lot of you were drinking his kool aid like no other, but since he goes in the supplemental everyone now mysteriously jumps off his bandwagon? If he would of stayed in school and played to the level he had been playing at I do not see why he couldnt have been a top tier tackle in next years draft. I think a lot of you are underrating him because of how other supplementary players have panned out, Just my opinion but I think a lot of you guys are going to be eating your words. I think Gaither is going to surprise people the same way Marcus McNeil did. Not being rushed into the starting line up is going to help his development immensely.

CC.SD
08-05-2007, 01:44 PM
The only person who has done ANYTHING notable in the NFL on these lists is Marcus McNeill.

Props to D'Brick though.

I think all the others have potential, but honestly that doesn't mean as much as it should. Guys don't work out for a million reasons, the draft is not an exact science.

keylime_5
08-05-2007, 02:18 PM
So Gaither is handling Suggs in training camp but can't handle Wimbley. Is that what your saying?

Wimbley is gonna eat Gaither's lunch in the regular season.

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Wimbley is gonna eat Gaither's lunch in the regular season.

Dream on! Gaither won't be playing this year barring injury anyway but since its Cleveland I could see him getting some time since we'll be blowing you guys out so the backups should be in on our side. ;)

Sniper
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Jared Lorenzen >>>> Ogden!!!!!!!

Lorenzen gets a lot of love for a backup QB.

keylime_5
08-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Dream on! Gaither won't be playing this year barring injury anyway but since its Cleveland I could see him getting some time since we'll be blowing you guys out so the backups should be in on our side. ;)

Just like you blew us out last year when we had no O-Line or DBs. Oh wait, those games were actually pretty close, darn. Gimme a break. Ogden is in his last year, I think Wimbley and Gaither will get a chance to face each other plenty in their careers (barring Gaither becoming a total bust).

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Lorenzen gets a lot of love for a backup QB.

Oh yeah man, he's showing great maturity this preseason and with his raw physical tools he's going to be a HoF QB! Especially cause he's learning from a great teacher in Chris Palmer. (wonder if BD819 is starting to realize that preseason doesn't man jack.)

BigDawg819
08-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Oh yeah man, he's showing great maturity this preseason and with his raw physical tools he's going to be a HoF QB! Especially cause he's learning from a great teacher in Chris Palmer. (wonder if BD819 is starting to realize that preseason doesn't man jack.)

Yeah coaches don't use it to evaluate talent or anything............... :rolleyes:

HerthaFootballFan
08-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah coaches don't use it to evaluate talent or anything............... :rolleyes:

Yeah, they use all of training camp. But just cause a guy does good in TC for the first week doesn't mean anything. Ron Dayne had a couple years where he was beastly in camp and preseason but once the season started he went back to his sucktastic ways. It isn't proof until the season starts and a player plays well then.

Sniper
08-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Yeah, they use all of training camp. But just cause a guy does good in TC for the first week doesn't mean anything. Ron Dayne had a couple years where he was beastly in camp and preseason but once the season started he went back to his sucktastic ways. It isn't proof until the season starts and a player plays well then.

Hey man, Matt Schaub has TC and pre-season to thank for his 54 million dollar deal. TC pays the bills baby!

JoeMontainya
08-05-2007, 09:01 PM
"And you can't make an assumption for how someone's whole career is going to pan out after just one year, it's not even close to enough evidence. Plus he was going up against Jason Taylor, Aaron Schobel and the Patriots D. Not exactly a cake walk, especially for a rookie"

It wasnt an assumption, it was an opinion, thats why I said IMO. Im pretty sure I can say whatever I want as long as it is an opinion and I dont try to push it off as fact. And once again IMO I dont like Brick. Hes horrible right now in the run game and his main strength was pass blocking, something Im pretty sure was a disapointment last year. But it doesnt matter what I think, because it was his rookie year and thank god things change....

SenorGato
08-05-2007, 11:37 PM
D'Brick
McNiell
Justice
Oher
Long
Thomas
Baker
Gaither
Richardson

Why have people forgotten about Winston Justice? He's a freak of nature.

Sniper
08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
D'Brick
McNiell
Justice
Oher
Long
Thomas
Baker
Gaither
Richardson

Why have people forgotten about Winston Justice? He's a freak of nature.

Sure hope so, considering the Eagles are losing their OT very soon.

tom
04-23-2008, 10:53 AM

Sam Barker
Jake Long
Joe Thomas
Levi Brown
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Jared Gaither
Barry Richardson

Each of these guys are/were excepted to go in the top 10 of the draft now which one do you guys think will have more successes in the nfl? list them in order.

Umm... Sam Baker a top ten? WHATEVER

etk
04-23-2008, 02:18 PM

Yes, in August of last year Sam Baker was considered a future top-10 pick, but then the whole draft process where people stop looking at what you did in college and start looking at what you do in shorts happened, and Baker started slipping behind guys that for the most part sucked in college.

DawgBone
04-23-2008, 02:52 PM
1. Jake Long
2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
3. Sam Baker
4. Joe Thomas
5. Barry Richardson
6. Levi Brown
7. Jared Gaither

Got any more great predictions Sniper? I just hope Joe THomas can prove hes better than Sam Baker this year? Barry Richardsons looking like a great prospect.....maybe 5-6 RD this year?

bigbluedefense
04-23-2008, 02:54 PM
I think Sam Baker is going to surprise a lot of ppl when he makes it to the NFL. I think he's going to be a stud, even though he gets no love.

Whether its LT, or LG, Sam Baker is going to make somebody very happy somewhere, bc he's going to be a great player and great value in the 2nd round.

Jakey
04-23-2008, 02:58 PM
I completely agree...he is a great technition...and held his ground against the best competition in the country. Would be great value at the top of round 2 IMO!

PACKmanN
04-23-2008, 03:00 PM

you forgot the WERE part... and you also forgot when this was made...

rockio42
04-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Got any more great predictions Sniper? I just hope Joe THomas can prove hes better than Sam Baker this year? Barry Richardsons looking like a great prospect.....maybe 5-6 RD this year?

More like 3-5th

Iamcanadian
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM

Gaither hasn't proven squat and there is no way to even guess if he will ever be a starter nevermind a star. When every team passes on a guy for 5 rounds including some of the best drafting teams in the league, I would hardly think he is a star in the making until he actually plays like one. Nobody including yourself can say with any certainty that he was a steal especially since Baltimore also passed on him for 4 rounds.
All the bashing is because your guarantees are ridiculous when the guy hasn't even started for 1 season.

Sniper
04-23-2008, 03:57 PM

You're really pathetic. You just troll old threads for any type of predictions I made. It's downright sad.

I predict you'll be banned sooner rather than later. Like that one?

etk
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
I think Sam Baker is going to surprise a lot of ppl when he makes it to the NFL. I think he's going to be a stud, even though he gets no love.

Whether its LT, or LG, Sam Baker is going to make somebody very happy somewhere, bc he's going to be a great player and great value in the 2nd round.

This is funny because I was watching Film Session today and they showed that UDFA rookie T on the Giants in 03 (from Northwestern), and after that show I thought to myself: Sam Baker would be a perfect fit for the Giants if they needed a Tackle.

bigbluedefense
04-23-2008, 05:22 PM
This is funny because I was watching Film Session today and they showed that UDFA rookie T on the Giants in 03 (from Northwestern), and after that show I thought to myself: Sam Baker would be a perfect fit for the Giants if they needed a Tackle.

He does fit our scheme like a glove, i agree with that.

Im not sure if we invest in him though, its gonna yield a 2nd round investment and im not sure if Reese will pull the trigger on him that early. Id be thrilled if we do, but i seem to be in the minority on that one.

draftguru151
04-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Toon was talking about Baker as a possibility to the Giants at 31. Not sure I buy it, but it wouldn't be the worst pick.

bigbluedefense
04-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Toon was talking about Baker as a possibility to the Giants at 31. Not sure I buy it, but it wouldn't be the worst pick.

it wouldn't upset me at all.

whoever gets him is going to get a very underrated player.

SenorGato
04-23-2008, 10:31 PM
I think his upside and athleticism are very limited compared to the other 6. He will be an okay starter but never a dominant one IMO. If he didn't have Russ Grimm to fix his sloppy technique and mechanics he would be a complete bust.

DG151 also ranked him last, so I'm not the only one that ranked him lowly or thought he was a reach at #5.

How's that a legit knock on a player? Thats exactly what a coaching staff should be doing.

Even if we're going to run with that logic, isn't the fact that Brown is willing to learn *and* seems to be getting it a plus for him?

I'd go:

1. D'Brick
2. Joe Thomas
3. Jake Long

All 3 of those guys are going to be sick players. Maybe it's homer-ish of me, but I like D'Brick a whole lot in the long term.

4. Levi Brown

5. Jared Gaither
6. Sam Baker
7. Barry Richardson

What'll be sick is making this list in a couple years with next years OT class...'

*Edit* Hm, I didn't even remember this thread...I posted in this already.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-23-2008, 10:33 PM

I've also pondered this move for some time. I like the schematic fit, and he seems like the kind of guy the coaching staff would take a shine to, but there's definitely pressing needs in the secondary for the Giants, and the safety quality only goes down after the first round.

Raider_fan_Canada
04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
What'll be sick is making this list in a couple years with next years OT class...

Is this class good and deep? Cause my team will still need some of those bad....

energizerbunny
04-23-2008, 11:28 PM
Baker, although not the prospect everyone thought he could have been or even may have been last year still will get drafted fairly high.... After the top Heap of OTs are gone there are still going to be many teams looking for these guys on the first day.

Just off supply and demand alone he is bound to get drafted in the late 2nd