PDA

View Full Version : The more things change, the more they stay the same

BlindSite
08-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Many were somewhat surprised when Al Davis made the decision to hire former USC coordinator Lane Kiffin to be the Oakland Raiders’s new head coach. Kiffin will be 32 by the time he coaches his first NFL game, a measure of youth surpassing one of his Raiders’ predecessors Jon Gruden who at the time of his hiring was the youngest head coach in NFL history.

Fans however, shouldn’t have been altogether surprised by this move as Al Davis has in the past had success hiring a young head coach and giving him unprecedented control of the franchise. Gruden, when hired was one of the NFL’s hottest names and rising stars, and sought to revolutionize some facets of the Raiders franchise, which at the time were still stuck in the proverbial dark ages.

It seems again, history is destined to repeat itself as Kiffin is already aiming to alter much of the framework in place.

It’s clear that like Gruden in 1998 he is seeking to re-start the running game with the addition of Dominick Rhodes through free agency, Michael Bush through the draft and an overhaul of a once successful offensive line.

Kiffin has also been allowed to bring in the quarterback he wanted while there were other more established and proven names available in both the draft and through a trade.

Distractions like Randy Moss have also been cast off and Al Davis has seemed to back more into the shadows of the team’s running giving Lane Kiffin more opportunity to mould the team his way. Noticeable by his standing up to Davis over the position of Robert Gallery.

Over in Tampa Bay similar to in Oakland Jon Gruden seems again to be trying to capture lightning in a bottle and go back to basics, (which were first seen in Oakland) with his approach to the 2007 season.

Obtaining Jeff Garcia gives him a Rich Gannon type player, a relatively mobile, accurate quarterback who’s playing style perfectly fits the Garcia tight, between the hash marks passing style. Drafting Maurice Stovall and Michael Clayton in the years past to partner Galloway he’s also tried to rebuild the speed and possession duo he once commanded in Jerry Rice and Tim Brown.

The offense, is steadily being built around an aging defense, which like the Raiders of 98-2002 has several aging stars at cornerback, and particularly linebacker.

While Gruden sits in the hotseat the past seems to be playing out in his old home of Oakland while he attempts to recreate some of the pivotal units he had there in Tampa. Both teams and coaches will be under pressure this year, what remains to be seen is whether or not both organizations can find in their futures, the glory they had in the past.

Caddy
08-02-2007, 07:29 AM
Good read BlindSite.

Chucky is definitely on the hot seat but I like to think that the Buc's have partly addressed the aging defense with a plethora of defensive draft picks.

BlindSite
08-02-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah I was gonna go into the draft picks over the last two years especially at linebacker. But with the exception of Ruud I didn't think any of them were ready to go. If I'm wrong correct me of course.

etk
08-02-2007, 08:44 AM
Good read BlindSite.

Chucky is definitely on the hot seat but I like to think that the Buc's have partly addressed the aging defense with a plethora of defensive draft picks.

By partly you mean in a very miniscule way, right?

P-L
08-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Did you write that yourself?

BlindSite
08-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Did you write that yourself?

Yes, I'm a student journalist and mostly write about the Panthers for a website but I like to branch out every now and then

10char

HoopsDemon12
08-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Yes, I'm a student journalist and mostly write about the Panthers for a website but I like to branch out every now and then

10char

thats impressive that is for sure... good job

Paranoidmoonduck
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
It should be remotely interesting to see Gruden run that Bucs this year. I don't think he really has quite the talent to do what he did with Oakland, which was play ball control with his offense and keep the defense off the field. A full healthy season from Carnell Williams would go a long way, but I question Gruden's willingness or adeptness at opening up the playbook once he falls behind.

BlindSite
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
I think most of if depends on gruden like it did with Gannon, if he's on the money they'll click.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I think most of if depends on gruden like it did with Gannon, if he's on the money they'll click.

Sure, but keep in mind that Gannon took over a more talented offense and even then he didn't really take it anywhere his first year.

BlindSite
08-03-2007, 03:39 AM
Yeah that's true, and he also had some pretty damn good receivers and one of the best in the NFL at the time with Brown, that's something Tampa's severely lacking too.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-03-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah that's true, and he also had some pretty damn good receivers and one of the best in the NFL at the time with Brown, that's something Tampa's severely lacking too.

Of course, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not a huge fan of Tampa Bay's or Gruden's chances this year.

Caddy
08-03-2007, 04:05 AM
Yeah I was gonna go into the draft picks over the last two years especially at linebacker. But with the exception of Ruud I didn't think any of them were ready to go. If I'm wrong correct me of course.

No you're right. Ruud is definitely the only one ready to start. Black needs at least a year and Hayward will never be a starter IMO.

BlindSite
08-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Of course, I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not a huge fan of Tampa Bay's or Gruden's chances this year.

I'm not seeing them as potential contenders but I'm seeing what Gruden's trying to do. If management sticks it out, he could be very impressive in a few years.