PDA

View Full Version : Bears trade S Chris Harris to Carolina

BUSTKUNTLAWL
08-02-2007, 02:15 PM
For an undisclosed draft pick..

The Bears on Thursday traded safety Chris Harris to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for an undisclosed draft pick.

Breaking news on ChicagoBears.com

Scar
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
That should help clear up the logjam at safety in Chicago.

Shiver
08-02-2007, 02:17 PM
You know the Panthers have lousy safeties when they have to trade for one of the Bears safeties, let alone one buried in the depth chart.

Smokey Joe
08-02-2007, 02:49 PM
You know the Panthers have lousy safeties when they have to trade for one of the Bears safeties, let alone one buried in the depth chart.
? Archuletta, Brown, and Manning. The Bears have very good depth at safety this season.

bsaza2358
08-02-2007, 02:52 PM
If you can get a decent player for minimal cost, you make the move. It's not a huge deal, but it could help both teams.

Hurricane Ditka
08-02-2007, 03:21 PM
? Archuletta, Brown, and Manning. The Bears have very good depth at safety this season.Well we did.

P-L
08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
who? chris harris? is there some reason i should care that i've missed?
He was pretty good his rookie year, iirc. Although I don't believe he played much last year.

awfullyquiet
08-02-2007, 04:46 PM
i mean, chris harris did pick off peyton manning in the superbowl on a pass heading for reggie wayne. basically the only reason why people would know that name.
and i mean, as a seventh round pick, anything higher than seven that we get for him is considered a win considering this.

if the bears traded at the safety spot that means three things:
one: archuleta is ready.
two: brown is ready.
three: mcgowan or everett looks good enough to be a backup safety.

Shiver
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
i mean, chris harris did pick off peyton manning in the superbowl on a pass heading for reggie wayne. basically the only reason why people would know that name.
and i mean, as a seventh round pick, anything higher than seven that we get for him is considered a win considering this.

if the bears traded at the safety spot that means three things:
one: archuleta is ready.
two: brown is ready.
three: mcgowan or everett looks good enough to be a backup safety.

Wasn't he the guy who blew the coverage that led to the Wayne touchdown?

draftguru151
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
I think that might have been Manning, not sure though.

Harris isn't amazing, but he's better than Nate Salley.

iowatreat54
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
chris harris played a well filling in for an injured mike brown last season, saw a good amount of playing time...and mike brown has been really good in camp so far, he hasn't really shown any signs of injury from the past year, but it again is still early...and we have a lot of depth at safety (brown, manning, archuleta, payne, mcgowan, everett) all of whom have looked good so far, so there really was no need to keep harris...and archuleta will prolly be predominately in against the run, with brown and manning starting at SS and FS

amag
08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Harris played pretty well the last 2 years

toonsterwu
08-02-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm fine with the deal for us. I'm not so sure how big of a help this is for Carolina overall. Harris is a decent-solid safety, but his flaws in coverage can get exposed.

JustJoe2k5
08-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm fine with the deal for us. I'm not so sure how big of a help this is for Carolina overall. Harris is a decent-solid safety, but his flaws in coverage can get exposed.

It could very well be safety-by-committee down here in Carolina next season. Mike Minter has one spot sealed up, but the other is up for grabs at the moment. Another body with NFL and postseason experience like Harris could be valuable.

ESPN says it was a fifth-round pick.

ShutDwn
08-02-2007, 10:06 PM
It could very well be safety-by-committee down here in Carolina next season. Mike Minter has one spot sealed up, but the other is up for grabs at the moment. Another body with NFL and postseason experience like Harris could be valuable.

ESPN says it was a fifth-round pick.

Minter doesn't have that spot sealed up at all though. He took a big pay cut to stay with the team. That means they were looking to go somewhere else at Safety. They can't let familiarity play too big a role at this point.

As for his coverage skills, I doubt they are any worse than Marlon McCree's, who played great for us.

Bearsfan123
08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
i actually liked Harris, he is a solid safety who isnt very fast but gets to the ball carrier. Hes not a coverage safety by any means but he has his moments.

bearfan
08-02-2007, 11:36 PM
i actually liked Harris, he is a solid safety who isnt very fast but gets to the ball carrier. Hes not a coverage safety by any means but he has his moments.

im in the same boat w/ you, I liked the guy, and he played well for us especially looking at the round he was drafted. He is no superstar, but he is solid, and will lay someone out (sometimes)

ShutDwn
08-03-2007, 01:21 AM
im in the same boat w/ you, I liked the guy, and he played well for us especially looking at the round he was drafted. He is no superstar, but he is solid, and will lay someone out (sometimes)

Thats good enough for us. He is pretty smart, and the best part about him is that he knows his limitations. As long as he continues to learn he will get better in coverage. Not saying because of the Panthers, or that he will be amazing.

He fits the McCree mold almost to a 'T' is seems.

Caddy
08-03-2007, 04:08 AM
Nice trade for both teams. Bears get a decent pick and the Panthers get somebody better than Nate Salley.

SchizophrenicBatman
08-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Better than Nate Salley and an old Mike Minter. The Panthers really don't give a **** about safeties for some reason so it's nice to see them acquire a guy who has a chance to be at least an average player. Entering the year, our most talented S was probably going to be our 7th round draft pick before this deal

bearsfan_51
08-03-2007, 10:21 AM
As previously asked, Chris Harris is the one that blew the coverage on Wayne. He bit on the tight end for reasons beyond me and got skunked.

Toonster basically hit the nail on the head. His flaws in coverage and lack of speed will prevent him from ever being more than an average player. If this pick makes up for the Darwin Walker trade, or is even close, I'm happy.

ShutDwn
08-03-2007, 11:54 AM
As previously asked, Chris Harris is the one that blew the coverage on Wayne. He bit on the tight end for reasons beyond me and got skunked.

Toonster basically hit the nail on the head. His flaws in coverage and lack of speed will prevent him from ever being more than an average player. If this pick makes up for the Darwin Walker trade, or is even close, I'm happy.

Actually, I am pretty sure that was Manning. Watch the highlight, Wayne is right behind Manning.

draftguru151
08-03-2007, 12:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHTddOdMt4

Looks like Harris is the safety from the other side and the safety that was on Wayne's side went underneath. Hard to see though so I'm not sure.

ShutDwn
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsHTddOdMt4

Looks like Harris is the safety from the other side and the safety that was on Wayne's side went underneath. Hard to see though so I'm not sure.

Looks like he went between both safety's zones. When I was looking on Bears' forums in there threads about this trade, Manning was getting the blame.

Doesn't really matter if he made one bad play, he made a hell of a play against us in 05 to save a TD to Proehl.

draftguru151
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Looks like he went between both safety's zones. When I was looking on Bears' forums in there threads about this trade, Manning was getting the blame.

Doesn't really matter if he made one bad play, he made a hell of a play against us in 05 to save a TD to Proehl.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it was Manning's fault and he's the safety that blew it not Harris.

diabsoule
08-03-2007, 05:02 PM
The Panthers landed Chris Harris? THE Chris Harris? Just one word for that: "Championship".

yourfavestoner
08-03-2007, 07:25 PM
Apparently, Minter is contemplating retirement because of pain in his knee.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2960068

neko4
08-03-2007, 07:34 PM
ummm who's he?