amag
08-02-2007, 04:25 PM
minus punting and kicking

i would probably have to say gaurd

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 04:27 PM

Defensive End in a 4-3. Unless they are stellar, many coaches might be apt to just let the pass rush all day (i.e. Simeon Rice).

amag
08-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Defensive End in a 4-3. Unless they are stellar, many coaches might be apt to just let the pass rush all day (i.e. Simeon Rice).
nice, true simeon only averaged like i think it was 1.5 tackles a game?

Shiver
08-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Running Back is a position that is most reliant on instincts and raw talent. The only transition that most Running Backs go through when they come to the NFL is in the passing game, blocking and route running. Physically speaking, it is grueling. Mentally, it is easier than any other position I can think of.

princefielder28
08-02-2007, 04:36 PM
Running Back is a position that is most reliant on instincts and raw talent. The only transition that most Running Backs go through when they come to the NFL is in the passing game, blocking and route running. Physically speaking, it is grueling. Mentally, it is easier than any other position I can think of.

Mentally though you have to know all the plays and you have to be able to pick up those blitzes based off what the defense is presenting you with. For a defensive end, especially one like Simeon Rice, all you're doing is going after the QB.

Shiver
08-02-2007, 04:41 PM
There is a reason Linebackers and Running Backs typically win every rookie of the year award. It is by far the easiest positions to transition to from college. Since '93 only four players have won the OROTY that were not Running Backs. This decade only one player has won the DROTY award that wasn't a Linebacker.

awfullyquiet
08-02-2007, 04:42 PM

It's find the gap. Hit the gap.
That's about it.

saying it's easy to play guard is ridiculous though. mentally it's challenging as hell. sure, you don't put as much wear and tear on your body because you don't do hard cuts like backs and defenders do... but it's far from the easiest.

d-line is IMO the easiest position. most of the time it's all physical skill and being able to shed blockers. you do three things. anticipate snap counts, force the pocket. create or block gaps for your LB's. that's it. i mean, sure you're 250-350 lbs, down in 3 or 4 pt. that's strenuous, and then saying hey to the o-lineman infront of you, all like, yo dude, what's up. i gotta get by you.

i respect them for their talents, especially top of the line, you can be decent and still start.

HoopsDemon12
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM

there is actually a lot of skill that is in punting and kicking... not everyone can handle the pressure of kicking to win the game... you have to be abel to play your best with limited warm up time aswell... you can be called on when ever... and all i can say is... you try dropping a kick perfectly down the feild... punting is harder than it looks..

My easiest though... i would definatly have to say DE in a 4-3.... easist transition from college is easily linebacker or runningback though

stl9erfan
08-02-2007, 05:15 PM
long snapper

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 05:22 PM
long snapper

You know how precise a long snapper has to be. If they miss by a few inches, they could cost a team the chance to beat the 49ers in a 2002 divisional playoff game...

remix 6
08-02-2007, 05:25 PM
idk about NFL but in HS its probably Safety. all u gotta do is know your assignment and be aware of whats around u.

u dont have to cover a guy 1on1 and possibly get beat..just play your zone ..dont let anyone get behind u.

you get the best opportunity i think at safety to make big hits..you see everything ahead of you..you have a lot of space

everyone on the field has to try to recognize what the offense does..the safety probably gets the best view .

Caddy
08-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Clipboard holding

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Peyton Manning's backup QB. The man never comes off the field, Sorgi has it made.

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
Peyton Manning's backup QB. The man never comes off the field, Sorgi has it made.

He's the Maytag repairman. =D

scottyboy
08-02-2007, 05:33 PM
you have to divide it up physically and mentally(playbook, pressure situations) physically easiest(not punter or kicker) is probably Safety, mainly FS. most of the time you're in zone, playing zone or covering a slower player.(granted he's prob. bigger but still) mentally easiest is probably DE. Its between rushing the passer or playing the run, and the set the O has on the field and the situation helps you out alot. Theres no do i go back into zone or play man? etc and dont have to know much of the playbook really.

but there is no "easy" postition in the NFL, every guy works their @$$ off and has to know techniques, plays, audibles and characteristics of their opponent

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Water boy .....

scottyboy
08-02-2007, 05:39 PM
Water boy .....

Bobby Boucher water boy or Tim Couch water boy?

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Bobby Boucher water boy or Tim Couch water boy?

Gotta say Couch because Boucher worked hard at his spot.

ripdw27
08-02-2007, 06:02 PM
im gonna have to say d end, the reasons have already been said. but i think that kicking is actually pretty dificult, they have to be able to thread the needle 50 yards away, under far more pressure then the qb.. they get one chance. n when a kicker chokes everyone gets mad but when the qb chokes its "expected"?

Shiver
08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
If DE was such an easy position, someone please explain to me why Julius Peppers is the only player that wasn't a linebacker who won DROTY this decade?

scottyboy
08-02-2007, 06:06 PM
If DE was such an easy position, someone please explain to me why Julius Peppers is the only player that wasn't a linebacker who won DROTY this decade?

like i said, no position in the NFL is "easy" but to answer your question, itsbecause LB's make more tackles usually have a lot more opportunities to get INT's. DB's get INT's and some are used as return men, which helps.

JT Jag
08-02-2007, 06:12 PM
nice, true simeon only averaged like i think it was 1.5 tackles a game?

2.8. 2 non-sack tackles per game.

fenikz
08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
I think mentally it has to be a Nose Tackle, your job is just to clog up the line, even at DE you have to make reads you can't just pass rush all the time, and linebacker is not the easiest, there is so many details in most schemes that you can't be dumb and be one

Brent
08-02-2007, 06:14 PM
whoever Tom Brady's (or Peyton Manning's) back up is.

DeathbyStat
08-02-2007, 06:15 PM

Yes end in Cover 2 when they rushing the passer on almost every play

fenikz
08-02-2007, 06:18 PM
whoever Tom Brady's (or Peyton Manning's) back up is.

Matt Cassell is a unlucky guy, he gets stuck behind Carson Palmer & Matt Leinart at USC and now he is behind Tom Brady at NE, he must being doing something right to have made it to the NFL

Turtlepower
08-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Matt Cassell is a unlucky guy, he gets stuck behind Carson Palmer & Matt Leinart at USC and now he is behind Tom Brady at NE, he must being doing something right to have made it to the NFL

Well, he did get drafted without ever starting in college, so I would say that getting drafty made him pretty lucky.

ks_perfection
08-02-2007, 06:30 PM
If it turns out he's not a good QB in game situations he's really lucky. If your a backup and do well in practice you won't get cut, but when you have to start and don't perform well you'll be gone, which happens alot of the time.

TheChampIsHere
08-02-2007, 06:49 PM
well of course every position takes a lot of skill but if I had to choose one that takes the least id say OLB

Go_Eagles77
08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Holder... oh wait....

http://dwil.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/romo.jpg

http://blogs.king5.com/seahawks/images/romo_botched.jpg

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Holder... oh wait....

http://dwil.files.wordpress.com/2007/01/romo.jpg

http://blogs.king5.com/seahawks/images/romo_botched.jpg

Priceless! I was going to go there but figured someone would for me.

CARDIAC CAT 7
08-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Has to be Fullback, all they do is Pass Protection, Lead Blocking and Quick Routes, and maybe a run up the gut if they are lucky.

neko4
08-02-2007, 07:20 PM
idk about NFL but in HS its probably Safety. all u gotta do is know your assignment and be aware of whats around u.

u dont have to cover a guy 1on1 and possibly get beat..just play your zone ..dont let anyone get behind u.

you get the best opportunity i think at safety to make big hits..you see everything ahead of you..you have a lot of space

everyone on the field has to try to recognize what the offense does..the safety probably gets the best view .

on JV at my school, the S stands back there (and we run a 4-4) and does nothing

The Unseen
08-02-2007, 09:26 PM
You know how precise a long snapper has to be. If they miss by a few inches, they could cost a team the chance to beat the 49ers in a 2002 divisional playoff game...

Even then, it's the easiest position.

themaninblack
08-02-2007, 09:44 PM
as an offensive lineman speaking from experience at the HS and collegiate levels, the wear and tear on offensive lineman is perhaps the worst on the field.

Smooth Criminal
08-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Long snapping is definately the easiest. I don't care what anyone says long snappers only have one job. They don't even have to block really because they arn't allowed to get hit. They don't have to make any reads at all. All they have to do is snap the ball.

If it wasn't the easiest we would see alot more botched snaps.

And since I don't think long snapper should be counted I'm going to go with OLB in a 3-4. Majority of the time your assignment is rush the passer. Plus I think it is even easier than a 4-3 DE because when your assignment is not to rush the passer you don't have to worry about being lined up right in front of a huge O-line when you are going to have to stuff the run or cover a reciever.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 09:50 PM
Long snapping is definately the easiest. I don't care what anyone says long snappers only have one job. They don't even have to block really because they arn't allowed to get hit. They don't have to make any reads at all. All they have to do is snap the ball.

And since I don't think long snapper should be counted I'm going to go with OLB in a 3-4. Majority of the time your assignment is rush the passer. Plus I think it is even easier than a 4-3 DE because when your assignment is not to rush the passer you don't have to worry about being lined up right in front of a huge O-line when you are going to have to stuff the run or cover a reciever.

They are part of the punt coverage team as well there buddy.

kalbears13
08-02-2007, 10:06 PM

HAHA...the reason why you don't see botched snaps is because if you do see one then the guy gets kicked off the team. It's one of those things that has to be perfected. It's a no-brain thing but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it.

Other than that I have to say NT. Run slightly left, Run straight and Run slightly right.

Stash
08-02-2007, 10:21 PM
What about WR? All you really need is to be good at catching a football and be able to run reasonably well. Then on running plays you usually get to block the smallest guys on D. You also don't have to be a magnificent physical specimen to be a WR unlike some other positions mentioned (although it helps).

Smooth Criminal
08-02-2007, 10:32 PM
HAHA...the reason why you don't see botched snaps is because if you do see one then the guy gets kicked off the team. It's one of those things that has to be perfected. It's a no-brain thing but it takes a lot of practice to be good at it.

Other than that I have to say NT. Run slightly left, Run straight and Run slightly right.

And do you know why the guy gets kicked off the team? Because it is easy to find a replacement.

If at was so easy to find a replacment running back we would see people getting fired for fumbling.

Smooth Criminal
08-02-2007, 10:34 PM
They are part of the punt coverage team as well there buddy.

Thats true. I was think more of kicks when I said that but they are on the punt team to.

Even with that, thats not to much of a skill to probably be the 10th guy to get the the returner.

Smooth Criminal
08-02-2007, 10:36 PM
What about WR? All you really need is to be good at catching a football and be able to run reasonably well. Then on running plays you usually get to block the smallest guys on D. You also don't have to be a magnificent physical specimen to be a WR unlike some other positions mentioned (although it helps).

You would think WR would be one of the easiest but it just isn't for some reason. Alot of great college recievers come in and are huge busts in the league. The NFL is alot more complicated for recievers than you would think. They often have to make reads of the coverage for themselves when they are on option routes and if their read doesnt match the read of the QB you are set up for some bad throws.

etk
08-02-2007, 11:01 PM
This is a difficult question. Based on my own personal experience and discoveries playing multiple positions, I'd have to say they're all extremely hard in all aspects
and I can't single out one position as the easiest. Maybe Fullback because they aren't on the field as often as other positions, and when they are on the field they run straight ahead and smack the first guy they see or head to the flats on a simple pass pattern.

No argument can be made that a defensive position is the easiest. Defenders don't know the upcoming play and have to react on instinct and intelligence. Offensive guys go into a play knowing what to do and their only job is to read the defense to know what to expect. Offense is all simple execution, defense takes much more mentally from a person. Just reading an offense after the snap on its own is harder than almost anything an offensive player does during a game.

etk
08-02-2007, 11:07 PM
well of course every position takes a lot of skill but if I had to choose one that takes the least id say OLB

Guys, what do I do here? Do I fall for this guy's ******** again or simply ignore his ignorant stupidity and proceed with my life. It's tempting to bite, but the troll will never stop eating me if I do, and I'm not in the mood to write an essay about the difficulty of playing OLB. At least now there's an explanation for his hatred of Derrick Brooks and a reason why he vastly underrates him. Good work TheChampIsHere, you're a champion and a hero in my books.

BigDawg819
08-02-2007, 11:11 PM
Thats true. I was think more of kicks when I said that but they are on the punt team to.

Even with that, thats not to much of a skill to probably be the 10th guy to get the the returner.

Hey Matt Katula is one of the 1st down the field there pal!

PACKmanN
08-02-2007, 11:18 PM
Fullback. You don't have to be a threat just know how to block and pave the way for running backs.

TheChampIsHere
08-02-2007, 11:41 PM
Guys, what do I do here? Do I fall for this guy's ******** again or simply ignore his ignorant stupidity and proceed with my life. It's tempting to bite, but the troll will never stop eating me if I do, and I'm not in the mood to write an essay about the difficulty of playing OLB. At least now there's an explanation for his hatred of Derrick Brooks and a reason why he vastly underrates him. Good work TheChampIsHere, you're a champion and a hero in my books.

lol are you serious? so MLB, CB, DL, OL, QB, WR, TE? These positions are easy? Like I said, every positions takes tons of skill, its hard to choose one and I really couldnt but if theres a gun to my head I guess I say OLB. Theres a reason LBs always make such an easy transition to the NFL and OLB is not as tuff as MLB in that MLBs generally have more responsibility and have to get in the trenches more. It also depends on scheme, 3-4 OLB is in a way easy in that you often just get to tear after the QB and you get to start on your feet, which makes it easier than DE IMO. Cover 2 OLB you get to drop back in coverage a lot and you see a lot of guys step right into the cover 2 OLB role and do great even if they werent regarded as great players...Even other OLBs, just look at last years rookie class and the number of OLBs that made a ridiculously easy transition...AJ Hawk, Ernie Sims, Thomas Howard, Kamerion Wimbley, Omar Gaither, Clint Ingram, Freddy Keihaho...not a big learning curve on the position...

And how you turn this back into Derrick Brooks I have no clue. And furthermore where you get my "hatred" or "disrespect" of Brooks I have no clue. When we were arguing it throughout the thread I said the whole time about the great respect I had for Brooks and his high character, and consistency and that he was a great player and a shoe-in for the HOF and a very possible first-balloter. I said that all thread. How am I hating on him.....I just simply think Ray Lewis is one of the greatest and most elite players in NFL history and that very very very few people can stack up to him. If thats hating on Brooks I dont see how. Maybe you can say im dick-riding on Ray Lewis, but I think what hes done on the field warrants the respect I give him.

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 12:04 AM
You would think WR would be one of the easiest but it just isn't for some reason. Alot of great college recievers come in and are huge busts in the league. The NFL is alot more complicated for recievers than you would think. They often have to make reads of the coverage for themselves when they are on option routes and if their read doesnt match the read of the QB you are set up for some bad throws.

I honestly think WR is the second hardest position in the game, after QB. You look at the number of guys who are complete busts like you said and also the steep learning curve at the position. Ive noticed WRs take longer to get into their prime than most other players, it takes a long time to learn the position. The route-running and reading of defenses and whatnot, you really have to be highly skilled at these things to be a good receiver and the skills are not easily developed. You have your occasional guy like Randy Moss who has very little "WR Skills" and still torches defenses just because hes a freak but in general the great receivers of our game who have long careers do it because of the skills they have more than the talents they are blessed with....Im talkin Jerry Rice, Tory Holt, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson...and even guys like Hines Ward, Derrick Mason, Reggie Wayne, Lavernues Coles, Larry Fitzgerald....and other guys that I didnt mention like Andre Johnson, TO, Lee Evans, Anquan Boldin, Roy Williams, Steve Smith, Santana Moss...they might rely on their talent, whether it be game-breaking speed, open field running ability or physicality more so than the other receivers I named but dont think for one second that those guys dont have great receiver skills.

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 12:09 AM
Yes end in Cover 2 when they rushing the passer on almost every play

I would say in general cover 2 is an easy scheme to play in compared to other schemes. Look at teams like the Colts who are able to put together good defenses with patchwork units, plugging in different people all the time, never getting greatly talented players....Guys like Nick Harper, Jason David, Nathan Vasher and Cato June among others looked good in it but I dont think these guys could make it in other schemes. DEs are mostly asked to be downhill pass-rushers, LBs drop back into coverage, CBs dont have to play man-to-man D, etc

kalbears13
08-03-2007, 12:15 AM
And do you know why the guy gets kicked off the team? Because it is easy to find a replacement.

If at was so easy to find a replacment running back we would see people getting fired for fumbling.

Longsnapping on kicks are easy because it's 7 yards but punts are from 15 yards and have to get back as fast as you can throw it to a 1 ft. x 1 ft. area. Plus it's hard because the practice you have to hang out with the weird kickers and punters. It may not need brains but needs a LOT of practice.

duckseason
08-03-2007, 12:17 AM
I think CB is tougher to play than WR. Especially when you consider the current rules of the game. WR's have the advantage in that matchup. You can make a textbook play as a CB and still give up a TD.

Easiest position imo is probably FB then RB.

kalbears13
08-03-2007, 12:21 AM
Can someone explain to me why no one is saying DLine is the easiest?

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 12:28 AM
I keep hearing FB and I cant argue with that...Its fairly obvious but I figured we meant the more prominent positions. Because if we can bring FB into the mix, then why not gunner, long snapper, kicker, punter, all the other ST positions, 3rd down back, goal line back, slot receiver, etc....just to clarify in my selection of OLB, I chose between DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB, FS, SS, QB, HB, WR, OT, OG, C, TE.....I would say TE, because just to be a TE and start it doesnt take that much if you can block and have reliable hands and some size...but to really stand out at TE is extremely hard, to be a guy like Gates or Gonzo who are dominant forces from the position it takes a tremendous amount of skill that is very hard to find...I also wanna say running back because I think it is one of the easiest positions in terms of the amount of skill you need to develop to do well there but I held off because running backs take more pounding than any other position and it is the most taxing position on your body...and also of course at each and every position there are a number of variations on it and some are easier than others...for instance at HB you can be a workhorse back like Jamal Lewis or Reuben Droughns just up the gut all game picking up what you can or you can be a scatback, 3rd down back, get used as a receiver or blocker a lot, or anything in between there...at OT you can be in a ZBS or in a mantoman scheme , you can play LT and be asked to protect the blindside in a pass-heavy scheme like Pace had to do for a while or be a RT who is a downhill run-blocker in a run-heavy scheme, someone like Kareem McKenzie back on the Jets with Herm Edwards and Curtis Martin....You can be a WR in a WCO or a vertical offense...you can be a DT who is just asked to take on as many blockers as possible (Ted Washington) or be a DT who is relied on to put pressure on the passer, someone like Tommie Harris...my point is depending on what kind of scheme you play in what the coach asks you to do, it changes the amount of skill is in the position, how tough it is. So its hard to just say straight up what the easiest position in without being specific about what of scheme/capacity the player is used at.

yodabear
08-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Towel Boy.

kalbears13
08-03-2007, 12:44 AM
I keep hearing FB and I cant argue with that...Its fairly obvious but I figured we meant the more prominent positions. Because if we can bring FB into the mix, then why not gunner, long snapper, kicker, punter, all the other ST positions, 3rd down back, goal line back, slot receiver, etc....just to clarify in my selection of OLB, I chose between DE, DT, MLB, OLB, CB, FS, SS, QB, HB, WR, OT, OG, C, TE.....I would say TE, because just to be a TE and start it doesnt take that much if you can block and have reliable hands and some size...but to really stand out at TE is extremely hard, to be a guy like Gates or Gonzo who are dominant forces from the position it takes a tremendous amount of skill that is very hard to find...I also wanna say running back because I think it is one of the easiest positions in terms of the amount of skill you need to develop to do well there but I held off because running backs take more pounding than any other position and it is the most taxing position on your body...and also of course at each and every position there are a number of variations on it and some are easier than others...for instance at HB you can be a workhorse back like Jamal Lewis or Reuben Droughns just up the gut all game picking up what you can or you can be a scatback, 3rd down back, get used as a receiver or blocker a lot, or anything in between there...at OT you can be in a ZBS or in a mantoman scheme , you can play LT and be asked to protect the blindside in a pass-heavy scheme like Pace had to do for a while or be a RT who is a downhill run-blocker in a run-heavy scheme, someone like Kareem McKenzie back on the Jets with Herm Edwards and Curtis Martin....You can be a WR in a WCO or a vertical offense...you can be a DT who is just asked to take on as many blockers as possible (Ted Washington) or be a DT who is relied on to put pressure on the passer, someone like Tommie Harris...my point is depending on what kind of scheme you play in what the coach asks you to do, it changes the amount of skill is in the position, how tough it is. So its hard to just say straight up what the easiest position in without being specific about what of scheme/capacity the player is used at.

I think they might mean intellectually, not physically, but i'm not sure. You'd have to ask the thread starter.

Yodachu, Towel Boy is important. If you have ever watched King of the Hill you'd know how imporant and hard it is. I believe the title is "Towel Manager".

duckseason
08-03-2007, 12:45 AM
the answer here seems to hinge on one's definition of "easy". mentally easy? i think shiver already hit that on the head. physically easy? as blasphemous as it is, probably quarterback (as, imo, the entire position is based around your football intelligence [let's not have any mindless wonderlic comments]). easy for someone who isn't very physically gifted? good question. it seems like the question is too ambiguous.

Yeah, I agree. Bottom line is that maintaining a job in the NFL is extremely difficult, regardless of position.

DWilliams2IndyColts
08-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Probably Owner. You just watch the games in a press box in a stadium named after your company.

Hines
08-03-2007, 01:33 AM
reciever..all u gotta do is run a route and catch the ball...i believe corner is one of the hardest positions along with linebacker and saftey..also qb

senormysterioso
08-03-2007, 01:43 AM
defensive tackle by far, you just get off the ball and go forward try to get in somebody's way

Hines
08-03-2007, 01:44 AM
killer reasoning, man.

for which one?

RaiderNation
08-03-2007, 01:44 AM
either left or middle bench

08-03-2007, 01:45 AM
Well we're talking NFL I would say NT or DE. All NT has to do is plug in the gap and rush the QB. DE all they have to do is rush the QB and when the HB goes outside just follow him.

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 01:55 AM
the answer here seems to hinge on one's definition of "easy". mentally easy? i think shiver already hit that on the head. physically easy? as blasphemous as it is, probably quarterback (as, imo, the entire position is based around your football intelligence [let's not have any mindless wonderlic comments]). easy for someone who isn't very physically gifted? good question. it seems like the question is too ambiguous.

yeah I pretty much agree, what is easy really? are we talking about who has the most responsibility, who takes the most pounding, who needs to have the most physical talent to excel at the position, what position needs the most football knowledge etc etc theres so many factors at the end of the day there isnt an NFL position that is even remotely easy. Quite honestly, its a dumb question and I dont even know why I got involved in the thread...you knows its the offseason now lol

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 01:57 AM
reciever..all u gotta do is run a route and catch the ball...i believe corner is one of the hardest positions along with linebacker and saftey..also qb

read my post earlier on it...Receiver is one of the tuffest positions there are. IMO, its the second hardest position only to QB....If I had to rank em

1. QB
2. WR
3. LT
4. CB
5. MLB

scottyboy
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
why would they bother when they can just keep saying DE because they think it sounds smart because other people said it? why bother trying to have an original thought or argue your own position?

ugh.

scotty has the only worthwhile explanation (though i don't wholly buy it).

coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment :)
the reason DE's dont win many DROTY's is because it's just not as "glamorous" with making many tackles and INT's as DB's abd LB's. but i've said multiple times, no position in the NFL is "easy". Every position has something that makes it hard. I mean it cant be too easy shedding a 300+lb guy trying to plant you on your butt(even though Osi makes it look easy:D) WR's have to worry about losing their head crossing the middle, reading D's on option routes, memorizing routes and plays etc. so there really is no "easy position"

Bills2083
08-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Holder. Don't tell that to Romo though. lol

But on a serious note, I'd have to say DE in a 4-3. They pretty much just rush the passer

SchizophrenicBatman
08-03-2007, 09:38 AM
There is a reason Linebackers and Running Backs typically win every rookie of the year award. It is by far the easiest positions to transition to from college. Since '93 only four players have won the OROTY that were not Running Backs. This decade only one player has won the DROTY award that wasn't a Linebacker.

This post really should have been the end of the topic

People really underrate DE containment, though admittedly it's less of an issue in a Cover 2 which is why you see Mark Anderson's now and then also

etk
08-03-2007, 11:07 AM

I'd have to agree. Safety is very, very difficult for the same reasons OLB is difficult. Corner is hard simply because you have to cover so many different talents one-on-one. You gotta manhandle the big guys in the red zone and stay in a footrace with the speedsters.

TheChampIsHere
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I'd have to agree. Safety is very, very difficult for the same reasons OLB is difficult. Corner is hard simply because you have to cover so many different talents one-on-one. You gotta manhandle the big guys in the red zone and stay in a footrace with the speedsters.

theres definitely something to be said for the read and react skills it takes to play S or OLB, especially if you are an OLB who drops back into zone coverage. The thing is, every position has its unique challenges and skills...Some CBs have to play man-to-man coverage almost every play, which is just really tough to do....

yourfavestoner
08-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Way, way, way too vague of a question, especially when you consider that varying positions are harder or easier depending on the scheme the team runs.

sodar21
08-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Defensive tackle.

Turtlepower
08-04-2007, 03:09 AM
It also all depends how some players are chosen to be in the NFL. Simeon Rice for example is just there to rush the passer as a 4-3 DE. A NT in a 3-4 is meant to mostly stuff the run and not much else.

On a side note, OLBs earn the most DROYs because it is the easiest position to transition from college to pros. Defensive end is harder because they have never faced offensive lines as good as the ones in the NFL.

Since 1996, there have been 3 LBs who have won Defensive Player of the Year (Lewis twice, Urlacher, Derrick Brooks) as well as 4 DEs (Jason Taylor, Strahan, Reggie White, Bruce Smith), 2 DTs (Sapp, Dana Stubblefield) and 1 Safety (Ed Reed).

To restate my point, DROY is made for LBs because it is easier to transition from college to the pros at that position, but when you look at MVPs, LBs match up closely with DEs.

Man_Of_Steel
08-04-2007, 03:14 AM
A 4-3 defensive end, go get the quarterback.