PDA

View Full Version : Past QB All-Americans

GoinDeepWithCJ
08-02-2007, 08:20 PM
These are the Street & Smith's All-American QB's since 1998. I was trying to start up a thread like who has the better class, which guys lived up to the hype, or which guys didn't live up to their hype.

For the younger classes, where are the kids now, will they be starting, are they still at their original school.

Rex Grossman, Bloomington South HS (IN)
Chris Lewis, Long Beach Poly HS (CA)
Rod Rutherford, Perry HS (PA)
Chris Simms, Ramapo HS (NJ)

Brock Berlin, Evangel Christian HS (LA)
Jason Campbell, Taylorsville HS (MS)
John Rattay, Desert Vista HS (AZ)
Chris Rix, Bishop Amat HS (CA)
Jeff Smoker, Manheim Central HS (PA)
Zac Wasserman, Westlake HS (CA)

Aaron Alexander, Henrico HS (VA)
Brodie Croyle, Westbrook Christian HS (AL)
Ingle Martin, Montgomery Bell HS (TN)
Kyle Matter, Hart HS (CA)
Joe Mauer, Cretin-Durham Hall HS (MN)
Adrian McPhearson, Southeast HS (FL)
Casey Paus, Lincoln-Way HS (IL)

James Banks, Ben Davis HS (IN)
Mark Borda, Bethlehem Catholic HS (PA)
Reggie McNeal, Lufkin HS (TX)
Ben Olson, Thousand Oaks HS (CA)
Tyler Palko, West Allegheny HS (PA)
Vince Young, Madison HS (TX)
Justin Zwick, Washington HS (OH)

Todd Boeckman, St.Henry HS (OH)
Johnny DuRocher, Bethel HS (WA)
Tommy Grady, Edison HS (CA)
Robert Lane, Neville HS (LA)
Chris Leak, Independence HS (NC)
Drew Tate, Lee HS (TX)
Kyle Wright, Monte Vista HS (CA)

Rhett Bomar, Grand Prairie HS (TX)
Brian Brohm, Trinity HS (KY)
Chad Henne, Wilson HS (PA)
Xavier Lee, Seabreeze HS (FL)
Stephen McGee, Burnet HS (TX)
Anthony Morelli, Penn Hills HS (PA)
Mike Vlahogeorge, Jefferson HS (IN)

Jake Christensen, Lockport Township HS (IL)
Chase Daniel, Carroll HS (TX)
Vic Hall, Gretna HS (VA)
Greg Paulus, Christian Brothers HS (NY)
Ryan Perriloux, East St. John HS (LA)

Pat Devlin, Downington HS (PA)
Zach Frazer, Mechanicsburg HS (PA)
Demetrius Jones, Morgan Park HS (IL)
Mitch Mustain, Springdale HS (AR)
Jevan Snead, Stephenville HS (TX)
Matt Stafford, Highland Park HS (TX)
Tim Tebow, Nease HS (FL)

Pat Bostick, Manheim Township HS (PA)
Jimmy Clausen, Oaks Christian HS (CA)
Chris Forcier, St.Augustine HS (CA)
Willy Korn, Byrnes HS (SC)
Ryan Mallet, Texas HS (TX)
Jason Munns, Southridge HS (WA)
Matt Simms, Don Bosco Prep HS (NJ)

Dayne Christ, Notre Dame HS (CA)
Riley Dodge, Carroll HS (TX)
Will Hill, St.Peter's Prep HS (NJ)
Landry Jones, Artesia HS (NM)
Andrew Luck, Stratford HS (TX)
E.J. Manual, Bayside HS (VA)
Terrelle Pryor, Jeannette HS (PA)

neko4
08-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Rex Grossman, Bloomington South HS (IN)
Chris Lewis, Long Beach Poly HS (CA)
Rod Rutherford, Perry HS (PA)
Chris Simms, Ramapo HS (NJ)

Brock Berlin, Evangel Christian HS (LA)
Jason Campbell, Taylorsville HS (MS)
John Rattay, Desert Vista HS (AZ)
Chris Rix, Bishop Amat HS (CA) ????????????????
Jeff Smoker, Manheim Central HS (PA)
Zac Wasserman, Westlake HS (CA)

Aaron Alexander, Henrico HS (VA)
Brodie Croyle, Westbrook Christian HS (AL)
Ingle Martin, Montgomery Bell HS (TN)
Kyle Matter, Hart HS (CA)
Joe Mauer, Cretin-Durham Hall HS (MN)
Adrian McPhearson, Southeast HS (FL) A2
Casey Paus, Lincoln-Way HS (IL)

James Banks, Ben Davis HS (IN)
Mark Borda, Bethlehem Catholic HS (PA)
Reggie McNeal, Lufkin HS (TX)
Ben Olson, Thousand Oaks HS (CA)
Tyler Palko, West Allegheny HS (PA)
Vince Young, Madison HS (TX)
Justin Zwick, Washington HS (OH)

Todd Boeckman, St.Henry HS (OH)
Johnny DuRocher, Bethel HS (WA)
Tommy Grady, Edison HS (CA)
Robert Lane, Neville HS (LA)
Chris Leak, Independence HS (NC)
Drew Tate, Lee HS (TX)
Kyle Wright, Monte Vista HS (CA)

)
I bolded guys in pros did i miss anyone, or count someone who isnt

Philliez01
08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
I bolded guys in pros did i miss anyone, or count someone who isnt

Well Joe Mauer is a helluva catcher for the Minnesota Twins. I guess you could count McPherson who I believe is in Arena ball?

neko4
08-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Well Joe Mauer is a helluva catcher for the Minnesota Twins. I guess you could count McPherson who I believe is in Arena ball?

He's in A2 (I think), which is AFL's NFLE

But that must mean Mauer never panned out

Philliez01
08-02-2007, 08:40 PM

Nah, he's not with Quincy Carter and the gang in a2. He's with the Grand Rapids Rampage in Arena 'ball.

Well obviously that meant Mauer didn't pan out, ;) just saying. . . .

neko4
08-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Nah, he's not with Quincy Carter and the gang in a2. He's with the Grand Rapids Rampage in Arena 'ball.

Well obviously that meant Mauer didn't pan out, ;) just saying. . . .

Okie dokie, I know McPherson is one of the league's leading rushers right?
But then again FB's in the AFL (They dont have HB's) dont run much

P-L
08-02-2007, 09:11 PM
It wasn't that Mauer didn't pan out, it was that he was selected #1 overall in the baseball draft right out of HS so he never got the opportunity to play football.

Sniper
08-02-2007, 09:20 PM

Actually Bobby Bowden pleaded with Mauer to play and claims he "still has a scholarship with his name on it" (joke obviously) but apparently he was unreal. Rumor has it he's decent at baseball too.

BuckNaked
08-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Paulus should've played football, because he couldn't possibly be worse at than he is at basketball.

Sniper
08-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Paulus should've played football, because he couldn't possibly be worse at than he is at basketball.

I'm inclined to agree with you. You ever see his flop that was completely off?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg

YAYareaRB
08-02-2007, 10:39 PM

Doesn't he play QB at North Carolina?

doingthisinsteadofwork
08-02-2007, 10:43 PM
They're different Paulus's.MIke is the QB at NC.

DWilliams2IndyColts
08-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Ben Olson is still in college.

andyjo672
08-12-2007, 04:05 PM

I believe Mauer was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in both sports his senior year in high school. Actually got to see him play against my HS in the state qualifying games. I think his senior year he never played the 2nd half of any game because they were already running up the score.

rainbeaukid2
08-12-2007, 04:14 PM
kinda funny that kyle matter was the only one from hart during that span as he was a good high school qb but there have been better in college:sean norton(was at Fresno St.), kyle boller(baltimore ravens), matt moore(dallas cowboys)

kwilk103
08-12-2007, 04:35 PM
pat bostick---2006 left pitt on the first day; rumor is anxiety attacks

went through summer condition, summer classes, etc

no timetable set for return

srv fan
08-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I believe Mauer was the Gatorade National Player of the Year in both sports his senior year in high school. Actually got to see him play against my HS in the state qualifying games. I think his senior year he never played the 2nd half of any game because they were already running up the score.

My roommate went to high school with him. In high school, Mauer was the number one baseball prospect in the country, arguably the best QB prospect (slated to start as a freshman for FSU), and was an all-state point guard. From what I've been told, he is just an incredibly naturally talented athlete in kind of an old school way. He wasn't a "freak" in being way bigger/stronger/more explosive than everyone else ala Lebron James (though he still obviously is in like the 99th percentile), but his natural coordination and feel for athletics is crazy.

BigJohn98
08-12-2007, 09:56 PM
These are the Street & Smith's All-American QB's since 1998. I was trying to start up a thread like who has the better class, which guys lived up to the hype, or which guys didn't live up to their hype.

For the younger classes, where are the kids now, will they be starting, are they still at their original school.

Chris Rix, Bishop Amat HS (CA)

He had all the talent in the world. He just lacked a brain.

scottyboy
08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
matt simms is nasty, and Will Hill isnt playing QB anymore for St. Peter's Prep.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-02-2008, 10:55 PM
It wasn't that Mauer didn't pan out, it was that he was selected #1 overall in the baseball draft right out of HS so he never got the opportunity to play football.

Anyone know where Mauer had offers from to play college football?

asmitty45
04-02-2008, 11:16 PM
JEFF SMOKER! now of the AFL, god i love it.

VoteLynnSwan
04-02-2008, 11:30 PM
Anyone know where Mauer had offers from to play college football?

probably just about everywhere... and those that didn't offer him for football offered him for baseball.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I have been doing some research on these guys and here is what I have found.

I have three years done.

1998 Class

Rex Grossman
College: Florida
2003 NFL Draft: 22nd Overall by Chicago
Led Bears to Super Bowl XLI, currently Bears starting QB.

Chris Lewis
College: Stanford
Undrafted
Can’t find any professional career info.

Rod Rutherford
College: Pittsburgh
Undrafted
Spent time with Panthers and Steelers.
Won Super Bowl Ring with Steelers in Super Bowl XL, don’t think he took a snap, but hey a ring is a ring.

Chris Simms
College: Texas
2003 NFL Draft: 97th Overall by Tampa Bay
Spleen injury severely hurt career, he is currently buried on the depth chart in Tampa.

1999 Class

Brock Berlin
College: Florida/Miami
Undrafted
Spent time with Hamburg in NFL Europe, started 1 game with Rams last year. Currently a backup for St. Louis.

Jason Campbell
College: Auburn
2005 NFL Draft: 25th Overall by Washington
Currently the starter for the Redskins, needs to have bounce back year after knee injury.

John Rattay
College: Pasadena Junior College/Tennessee/Arizona
Undrafted
Knee injuries ruined his career in college.

Chris Rix
College: Florida State
Undrafted
Signed as UDFA with San Diego, currently works for College Sports TV as an analyst.

Jeff Smoker
College: Michigan State
2004 NFL Draft: 201st Overall by St. Louis
Cut after one year with the Rams, now starting QB with AFL’s Arizona Rattlers.

Zac Wasserman
College: Penn State/Valley College/California
Undrafted
Can’t find any professional info.

Aaron Alexander
College: Michigan State
Undrafted
Was switched to WR after his freshmen year, also played basketball for the Spartans. No professional info.

Brodie Croyle
College: Alabama
2006 NFL Draft: 85th Overall by Kansas City
Croyle competed with Damon Huard to be the Chiefs starter in 2007, I believe he is the Chiefs QB of the future.

Ingle Martin
College: Florida/Furman
2006 NFL Draft: 148th Overall by Green Bay
Cut by Packers, was on Titans Practice Squad for 2007 season.

Kyle Matter
College: Stanford
Undrafted
Injuries ruined his career as a QB for the Cardinal, was switched to WR as a senior. No professional information.

Joe Mauer
College: None
Undrafted
Currently an All-Star catcher for the Minnesota Twins, was #1 overall pick in 2001 MLB Draft, forgoing college career at Florida State.

Adrian McPherson
College: Florida State
2005 NFL Draft: 152nd Overall by New Orleans
Drafted out of the Arena League, due to being booted from Florida State, he is most notably remembered for being hit by the Titans Mascot driving arounf in a golf cart, currently with AFL’s Grand Rapids Rampage.

Casey Paus
College: Washington
Undrafted
Started his junior years as the Huskies starting QB, but fell to 3rd on depth chart, wound up being a special teamer for Ty Willingham as a senior.

Finz99
04-03-2008, 12:48 AM
I was looking up Joe Mauer's football stats in high school. That guy was unbelievable, 3000+ yards and 40+ TD's his senior year? Damn.

kwilk103
04-03-2008, 01:23 AM
During his senior season as the Raiders' quarterback, Mauer completed 241 of 288 passes for 5,022 yards and 61 touchdowns with only two interceptions and finished his two-year career as a starter with 5,528 yards and 73 touchdowns.[2] He led the Raiders to two consecutive Class 5A state championship game appearances, winning the title in 1999, and once threw 15 touchdown passes in a single playoff game against the Hopkins Royals. Mauer was named Gatorade's National Player of the Year, Parade and USA Today Player of the Year and a Reebok/ESPN High School All-American.

Mauer was also named "National High School Quarterback Of The Year" in 2000 by The National Quarterback Club.[6] He was also named to the All-State team during his final two years on Cretin-Derham's basketball team.[6] However, he turned down a football scholarship from Florida State University to enter the Major League Baseball Draft.

Sniper
04-03-2008, 09:40 AM
During his senior season as the Raiders' quarterback, [B]Mauer completed 241 of 288 passes for 5,022 yards and 61 touchdowns with only two interceptions and finished his two-year career as a starter with 5,528 yards and 73 touchdowns

That's a healthy TD:INT ratio....

Santonio10
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
During his senior season as the Raiders' quarterback, Mauer completed 241 of 288 passes for 5,022 yards and 61 touchdowns with only two interceptions and finished his two-year career as a starter with 5,528 yards and 73 touchdowns.[2] He led the Raiders to two consecutive Class 5A state championship game appearances, winning the title in 1999, and once threw 15 touchdown passes in a single playoff game against the Hopkins Royals. Mauer was named Gatorade's National Player of the Year, Parade and USA Today Player of the Year and a Reebok/ESPN High School All-American.

Mauer was also named "National High School Quarterback Of The Year" in 2000 by The National Quarterback Club.[6] He was also named to the All-State team during his final two years on Cretin-Derham's basketball team.[6] However, he turned down a football scholarship from Florida State University to enter the Major League Baseball Draft.

WOW! Thats some pretty incredible stuff right there. I think he made a pretty good choice with baseball though lol

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
04-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Here are two more classes

2001 Class

James Banks
College: Tennessee/Carson-Newman
Elgibile for 2008 NFL Draft
Started as a QB for the Vols, moved to WR before sophomore season, however he was given the boot after a failed drug test. Ended up at Carson-Newman before 2007 season.

Mark Borda
College: Lehigh
Undrafted
Apparently wanted to pursue academics over athletics, at least that is what his Lehigh biography says, no professional information available.

Reggie McNeal
College: Texas A&M
2006 NFL Draft: 193rd Overall by Cincinnati
Was switched to WR in the NFL, but only hung around with the Bengals for one season, currently with the CFLís Toronto Argonauts.

Ben Olson
College: BYU/UCLA
Eligible for 2009 NFL Draft
Went on 2 year Mormon mission after high school, after his mission he transferred from BYU to UCLA, he will battle for Bruins starting job in 2008.

Tyler Palko
College: Pittsburgh
Undrafted
Signed as an UDFA with New Orleans and bounced between being on and off the roster all year in 2007, he is currently 3rd string QB for the Saints.

Vince Young
College: Texas
2006 NFL Draft: 3rd Overall by Tennessee
Named 2006 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year after leading Titans to an 8-8 season, followed up in 2007 by leading Tennesse to the playoffs, and he made it to his first Pro Bowl.

Justin Zwick
College: Ohio State
Undrafted
Never had opportunity to be a fulltime starter due to backing up Craig Krenzel and Troy Smith, no NFL experience, but is currently the backup QB for the AFLís Columbus Destroyers.

2002 Class

Todd Boeckman
College: Ohio State
Eligible for 2009 NFL Draft
Will be entering his 6th season for the Buckeyes, will look to challenge for starting job in 2008.

Johnny DuRocher
College: Oregon/Washington
Undrafted
Transferred to Washington after redshirting his freshmen year at Oregon, his career ended in 2006 when he was diagnosed with a brain tumor.

Tommy Grady
College: Oklahoma/Utah
Eligible for 2008 NFL Draft
Left Oklahoma when Rhett Bomar arrived on campus, started 5 games for Utes this fall due to injuries, recently participated with former Oklahoma teammates at OUís Pro Day.

Robert Lane
College: Mississippi
Eligible for 2008 NFL Draft
Started Ole Miss career at QB, in 2005 played one game at QB and two as an H-Back, but moved to TE in 2006 where he was relatively successful, never seemed to find at fit in college.

Chris Leak
College: Florida
Undrafted
National Championship QB with Gators was signed as an UDFA with Chicago, but did not make the team, was recently drafted by Team Florida of AAFL, but the league will not be playing in 2008 so his professional future is unknown.

Drew Tate
College: Iowa
Undrafted
Signed as an UDFA with the Rams, but never saw action, spent 2007 season on injured reserve for CFLís Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Kyle Wright
College: Miami
Elgible for 2008 NFL Draft
Never fully lived up to his expectations at Miami, and split time with Kirby Freeman the last two seasons.